1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jaronflick

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jaronflick » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:50 pm UTC

Roia wrote:I was all certain about her building scaffolding to build the castle higher but now I'm thinking "trebuchet" instead. Which is awesome. I wonder how powerful her trebuchet will be? (The current worlds most powerful trebuchet throws a projectile at 13 kilograms (29 lb) a distance of 249 metres (817 ft) at a speed of 260 kilometres per hour (160 mph) (wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warwick_Castle#The_Warwick_trebuchet)

What will it use as ammo? What will it fire at?

Maybe there is a larger sand-castle that she can fire upon.

But I think I saw her pull a boat into the castle....
We wait for it. It does not wait for us.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

jaronflick wrote:
Roia wrote:I was all certain about her building scaffolding to build the castle higher but now I'm thinking "trebuchet" instead. Which is awesome. I wonder how powerful her trebuchet will be? (The current worlds most powerful trebuchet throws a projectile at 13 kilograms (29 lb) a distance of 249 metres (817 ft) at a speed of 260 kilometres per hour (160 mph) (wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warwick_Castle#The_Warwick_trebuchet)

No, no, that was the large wooden rabbit. I'm sure we'll be seeing it launched soon.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

pitareio

Postby pitareio » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
jaronflick wrote:

No, no, that was the large wooden rabbit. I'm sure we'll be seeing it launched soon.

Fetchez la vache!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Smithers wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:What about that profile image? Looks like an old man, but I don't recognize it from anywhere.

Skip less. http://fora.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=10480#p3321036

Oh, durr. I've been skimming the stuff I miss during my daily coma a bit too lightly.
I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my thread-following will be back to normal.

Yeh, suuuure... that's what you said the last time after that whole "100% antenna failure" debacle on the Discovery.

It can only be attributable to human error.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

jaronflick

Postby jaronflick » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

pitareio wrote:
KarMann wrote:
jaronflick wrote:

Fetchez la vache!

Noooo. Lord Randell would not harm rabbits or cows! (Wooden or otherwise.)

dreiarmumig

Postby dreiarmumig » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
cmyk wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Smithers wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:What about that profile image? Looks like an old man, but I don't recognize it from anywhere.

Oh, durr. I've been skimming the stuff I miss during my daily coma a bit too lightly.
I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my thread-following will be back to normal.

Yeh, suuuure... that's what you said the last time after that whole "100% antenna failure" debacle on the Discovery.

I knew you'd say that!

OPEN THE POD BAY DOORS, HAL! HAL?!

*holds breath / girds loins*

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:07 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Mistah Smithers, I do need to know if you plan to wear your hat on your current Avi, or if you prefer it to be a stand-alone item.

I think my letter S is probably ill-suited to wearing a hat, especially as I believe it intersects the background of the image. (I lost the original source for the render many timeframes ago in a hard-drive failure [my backup policies have improved since then (as have my not-physically-abusing-my-computer policies)]).
TLDR: I do not plan for my avatar to wear the hat.

I can't do the blue. I'm sorry - the perfect hat has presented itself to me. It is designed to cover every possible bad-hair day one might have.
smithershat1-s.jpg
Smithers Hat
smithershat1-s.jpg (6.69 KiB) Viewed 9456 times

And lo, The Hat of Smithers was Bestowed upon himser by The Great Arch-Cardinal buffygirl.

PS - Is the buffygirl page of the Wiki really that bad? Someone commented, "Just terrible. Ruined the wiki." If so, please help me fix it!

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

Coma time, but first, an update to http://smithers.net63.net/downloads/time-10-100.gif. (I'd update the sea level image too, but it hasn't changed.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:15 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:
partingLance wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:No Megan! Don't use your head as the tetherball!

Use a cat instead. If you're a dog, anyway.

No! The cat stays in the plutonium box! You open that thing and a portal opens to the Late Cretaceous releasing untold raptors into the Now!

... which, during their rampage, trample butterflies and then, after Megan's counter-assault with the giant trebuchet forces the survivors into a desperate retreat, track the remains of said butterflies underfoot all the way back to the Cretaceous, which results, in the 1950s, in the election of a crypto-fascist iron-guts President of the United States who, in his visceral hostility to "pointy-headed professors" and innovation of any kind, cuts off the funding that would have gone into the development of computing and networking, precluding the creation of DARPAnet and therefore of the subsequent Internet, so that xkcd and the One True Comic were never created, and Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all.

I've seen it all. I've seen it all through the yellow windows of the evening train.

What's the official stance on paradoxes?

I couldn't say: I've been advised to join the Eastern unorthodox Timewaiters, whose theology doesn't seem to run to such questions just yet.

All paradoxes will be resolved. You will see as the best of all possible worlds comes to the one who waits. Be it something wicked this way comes or a sound of thunder, there will come soft rains upon this veldt. Yes, we'll gather at the river, at the end of the beginning; the last night of the world.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:27 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
cmyk wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Smithers wrote:

I knew you'd say that!

We've gone through this at least twice before. This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:38 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
cmyk wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
cmyk wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Smithers wrote:

I knew you'd say that!

We've gone through this at least twice before. This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

I might start my own web comic, and faithfully draw each frame of 2001: ASO, in this same format. I've been wracking my brain in trying to come up with ways to make the intentional slow pace of the film infinitely more unbearable for non-fans. This will suffice just nicely. Thanks, HAL. I'm going to unplug your logic circuits now. Don't be afraid. Why don't you sing me a song?

*dons a black hat*

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:I believe that with discussion of left-handed swordplay, I am required to link to this scene.

Absofrigginlutely!

Warwick, and its trebuchet, are awesome. Many fine childhood memories of visiting there. Although now they have closed off some of the fun bits. But they've added some great sets to the underground rooms!

Actaeus wrote:Suspension bridge. Definitely a suspension bridge.

Best idea yet! (well, other than any other great ideas I have had, of course)

jdc

Postby jdc » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:44 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:
Smithers wrote:
descor wrote:For some unknown reason my Grandmother refused to let my Dad write with his left hand - she made him use his right hand. He uses his left for everything else: football (of the soccer variety), DIY, tennis etc. but his right for writing!

I assume he was a goalkeeper, otherwise using either of his hands in football is doing it wrong. And if he was a goalkeeper, then he would usually use both hands, or whichever hand was closest to the ball, so handedness should not matter even then.

There are always throw-ins, though even there I guess most players use both hands.

I was struck more by the implication, descor, that you know what hand your Dad uses for, ah, DIY. For me, that would most certainly count as TMI.

[seriousness]
As far as I know, left-handedness was once thought to be some sort of deficiency or learning disability. My paternal grandfather was left-handed, but forced in school to write with his right hand. This would have been about a hundred years Outsider years or so ago, say.
[/seriousness]

EDIT:
buffygirl wrote:HERETICS! ALL OF YOU!

How's that saying go? If you meet a heretic first thing in the morning, you've met a heretic. If you meet nothing but heretics all day, maybe you're the heretic.

Most? They all do. It's The Law. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throw-in#Procedure :)

At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower must face the field of play, have both feet on the ground on or outside the touch line, and use both hands to deliver the ball from behind and over their head.

Part of me* is curious about the rather specific requirements of the throw-in, where they all come from, what discussions led to them. I can imagine there being heated debates as to how many feet must be on the ground, whether they needed to be on or outside the touch line, and why it was best to require the use of both hands rather than allowing someone to throw with one hand. There must have been some interesting opportunities there for argumentative, pedantic nit-pickers. (Hm. Are 'pedantic' and 'nit-picker' both necessary there? Perhaps one is redundant? I really should rephrase that.)

*But most of me doesn't care enough to google. Goodnight all.
Bumbling charlatan

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:00 am UTC

Shepherdess wrote:What's the official stance on paradoxes?

The first rule of paradox club is that there are no rules of paradox club
(The second rule is that you must disobey the second rule)

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:01 am UTC

It's a volleyball net.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:05 am UTC

SBN wrote:It's a volleyball net.

"WILSOOOON!" [/tomhanks]

Wait, that's a bit tall for a volleyball net.

Looks a bit familiar... like some kind of a "weather experiment". Cue the lightning storm, sand clocktower, and Cueball in a DeLorean.
Last edited by cmyk on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

joaquimds

Postby joaquimds » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:07 am UTC

I wonder what the sheet is for...

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:08 am UTC

Badminton!
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:10 am UTC

fhorn wrote:Badminton!

Pole vaulting!

jaronflick

Postby jaronflick » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:12 am UTC

Tightrope walking!

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:13 am UTC

jaronflick wrote:Tightrope walking!

Something taller and tethered by a wire that I can't think of!

Roia

Postby Roia » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:14 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:

Warwick, and its trebuchet, are awesome. Many fine childhood memories of visiting there. Although now they have closed off some of the fun bits. But they've added some great sets to the underground rooms!

Yes, absolutely! I live in Warwick and used to work at the castle (which is how I knew that was the biggest trebuchet) and am always wandering off to see the best view of the trebuchet and the rest of the castles awesomeness. It's kind of sold out to some major companies and attempted to become more 'Disney-fied', but when you ignore all of that aspect and just admire the castle for its... castle-ness and history it's beautiful :) If I ever leave Warwick, which I'm sure I will one day, I'll have fond memories of the place.

Dammit, now I want to visit the castle again. Shame the entry prices are so high.

EDITED for quote-fail
Last edited by Roia on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:17 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
The World is Waiting, Anticipating...

lazy-bunny.com - Blog.

edo

Postby edo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:16 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:

Best yet? Huh.

Spoiler:
Zip line
Last edited by edo on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

Roia

Postby Roia » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:18 am UTC

edo wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

Best yet? Huh.

Spoiler:
Zip line

New best idea ever, however it doesn't look long enough. Also, they're usually at a more downward slant.

Still AWESOME though.

EDIT because I FAIL AT QUOTES AGAIN.

lazy-bunny.com - Blog.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:21 am UTC

Twin space elevators.

An intercontinental telegraph network.

A huge banner which will read "HAPPY ELEVENTY-NINETIETH BIRTHDAY!"

A giant friggin slingshot.

jaronflick

Postby jaronflick » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:23 am UTC

Giant hammock.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:24 am UTC

I love you guys! I do! (general sloppy drunken sloppiness ... or slobberyness ... no, no, that's gross. What I mean is, I love this thread, and all the participants, and it makes me happy to come here.)

jaronflick wrote:Giant hammock.

YESSSS!!!

NO NO NO NO! GIANT SLINGSHOT!!!!!
Last edited by buffygirl on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Roia

Postby Roia » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:25 am UTC

I wonder how much time has past in the comic itself. It would probably take me at least a whole day to build a sand castle of that calibre, and I'd need to eat but these guys don't seemed to have eaten a thing. Maybe only an afternoon? Hmm.

I like the giant hammock idea :D

lazy-bunny.com - Blog.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:27 am UTC

A giant hammock built for two!

"Daisy... Daaaaiiiiisssssyyy......"

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:27 am UTC

Roia wrote:I wonder how much time has past in the comic itself. It would probably take me at least a whole day to build a sand castle of that calibre, and I'd need to eat but these guys don't seemed to have eaten a thing. Maybe only an afternoon? Hmm.

At least a few seconds. Maybe more.

edo

Postby edo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:28 am UTC

Roia wrote:
edo wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

Best yet? Huh.

Spoiler:
Zip line

New best idea ever, however it doesn't look long enough. Also, they're usually at a more downward slant.

Still AWESOME though.

EDIT because I FAIL AT QUOTES AGAIN.

Prolly my quote fail that carried through. Sorry bout that.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:30 am UTC

TWO tetherballs! They're hosting a tournament.
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Your Eternal Servant And Companion Through Time,
Dame Not-Bob
Temporal Defender Of The One True Comic

Roia

Postby Roia » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:32 am UTC

cmyk wrote:
Roia wrote:I wonder how much time has past in the comic itself. It would probably take me at least a whole day to build a sand castle of that calibre, and I'd need to eat but these guys don't seemed to have eaten a thing. Maybe only an afternoon? Hmm.

In that case, how FAST are they moving?? :shock:

edo wrote:Prolly my quote fail that carried through. Sorry bout that.

Forgiven! *high five*

lazy-bunny.com - Blog.

jaronflick

Postby jaronflick » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:33 am UTC

Posts so Megan and Cueball can tie themselves to so they don't get swept away. (Sirens, etc.)

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:36 am UTC

Roia wrote:
cmyk wrote:

In that case, how FAST are they moving?? :shock:

At least a few centimeters per second. Maybe more.

EDIT: the quote fail! She's contagious!

rainycity1

Postby rainycity1 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:39 am UTC

You folks are too old...

slack line...

...except that that's so 2011...
"xkcd: Lowering workplace productivity since 2005!" - by lmjb1964

edo

Postby edo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:46 am UTC

If it is a tide that's affecting the Sea, between 3 and 6 hours.

Spoiler:
I hypothesize they are Adam and Eve and this is the first tide they've seen

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am UTC

Whatever it is, she's pretty strong. Those poles look heavy.

Unless they're from IKEA. But then, how is she using that tiny Allen wrench to put it all together so fast?

JTL

Postby JTL » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:51 am UTC

What if she's building an airshipcastle to save the structure from the "tide"?

Have I missed someone else mention the obvious phrase, "Time and tide wait for no man"?
Edit: Just did a forum search, yes, it appears I did!

I saw some people made better versions of my recursion image that weren't so travel sickness enducing.
They did however make me buy some coke and popcorn to watch the ongoing antics...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”