1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

partingLance

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby partingLance » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:58 am UTC

cmyk wrote:
partingLance wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:
partingLance wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:No Megan! Don't use your head as the tetherball!

Use a cat instead. If you're a dog, anyway.

No! The cat stays in the plutonium box! You open that thing and a portal opens to the Late Cretaceous releasing untold raptors into the Now!

... which, during their rampage, trample butterflies and then, after Megan's counter-assault with the giant trebuchet forces the survivors into a desperate retreat, track the remains of said butterflies underfoot all the way back to the Cretaceous, which results, in the 1950s, in the election of a crypto-fascist iron-guts President of the United States who, in his visceral hostility to "pointy-headed professors" and innovation of any kind, cuts off the funding that would have gone into the development of computing and networking, precluding the creation of DARPAnet and therefore of the subsequent Internet, so that xkcd and the One True Comic were never created, and Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all.

I've seen it all. I've seen it all through the yellow windows of the evening train.

What's the official stance on paradoxes?

I couldn't say: I've been advised to join the Eastern unorthodox Timewaiters, whose theology doesn't seem to run to such questions just yet.

All paradoxes will be resolved. You will see as the best of all possible worlds comes to the one who waits. Be it something wicked this way comes or a sound of thunder, there will come soft rains upon this veldt. Yes, we'll gather at the river, at the end of the beginning; the last night of the world.

Thanks for that ray of hope. Meanwhile, I waits for it, though not (I hope) po-faced.

buffygirl wrote:I love you guys! I do! (general sloppy drunken sloppiness ... or slobberyness ... no, no, that's gross. What I mean is, I love this thread, and all the participants, and it makes me happy to come here.)

jaronflick wrote:Giant hammock.

YESSSS!!!

NO NO NO NO! GIANT SLINGSHOT!!!!!

But just stop and think about it a minute. With careful design, it could double as both.

jdc wrote:
partingLance wrote:
Smithers wrote:
descor wrote:For some unknown reason my Grandmother refused to let my Dad write with his left hand - she made him use his right hand. He uses his left for everything else: football (of the soccer variety), DIY, tennis etc. but his right for writing!

I assume he was a goalkeeper, otherwise using either of his hands in football is doing it wrong. And if he was a goalkeeper, then he would usually use both hands, or whichever hand was closest to the ball, so handedness should not matter even then.

There are always throw-ins, though even there I guess most players use both hands.

[snippity-snip]

Most? They all do. It's The Law. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throw-in#Procedure :)

Quite. Either I'm a complete dough-head when it comes to sports, I'm more dough-headed than usual today, I was thinking of beer-league or pickup games where no-one really cares about such niceties, or (perhaps most likely) I wasn't particularly thinking at all. These possibilities, of course, are hardly mutually exclusive.

EDIT:
cmyk wrote:Whatever it is, she's pretty strong. Those poles look heavy.

Unless they're from IKEA. But then, how is she using that tiny Allen wrench to put it all together so fast?

Ooog. Please don't say IKEA. In occasional breaks from this forum, I'm putting together an IKEA daybed. Not really difficult, but annoying, especially in a limited space.
Last edited by partingLance on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:04 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:59 am UTC

I wonder if she is trying to solve the problem of not being able to build a sand castle above a certain height. As you go higher you have to stand on the sand castle you have already built and it won't support your weight. So maybe she is making a rig to dangle from while building.

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:00 am UTC

Nüpiks?
Yeah, throw the rock!

Or maybe it's a nail.

There were four long stick things, and currently, two are seen. Are those two compound sticks, or are there more hidden to be lifted?
Last edited by Elmach on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:01 am UTC

Is that a rock? I thought she was talking on a cellphone.
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Your Eternal Servant And Companion Through Time,
Dame Not-Bob
Temporal Defender Of The One True Comic

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:02 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:I wonder if she is trying to solve the problem of not being able to build a sand castle above a certain height. As you go higher you have to stand on the sand castle you have already built and it won't support your weight. So maybe she is making a rig to dangle from while building.

That's the best suggestion yet, I think. It fits with the "we've gone as high as we can" line. With buckets and extra ropes to haul sand up from beach level.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:03 am UTC

Do you seë the flyïng thïng?
It is there.
It is flying.
Whät cän it be other thän a fössilized semëncancërcöffeëbabië?

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:06 am UTC

She's getting ready to erect a circus tent or a marquee to protect the castle from the rain shower predicted in the weather forecast she's hearing on her iPod.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:07 am UTC

Elmach wrote:Do you seë the flyïng thïng?
It is there.
It is flying.

I saw several flying things, until I wiped off my monitor screen, whereupon I saw only one. Do you mean the thing she's throwing over her shoulder? She'd have to be pretty strong to through a babie of any kind over her shoulder so casual-like.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:07 am UTC

I thought the lines of the flying thing were indicating tiny cellphone chatter.
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Your Eternal Servant And Companion Through Time,
Dame Not-Bob
Temporal Defender Of The One True Comic

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:26 am UTC

partingLance wrote:
It is there.
It is flying.

I saw several flying things, until I wiped off my monitor screen, whereupon I saw only one. Do you mean the thing she's throwing over her shoulder? She'd have to be pretty strong to through a babie of any kind over her shoulder so casual-like.

I don't know how many times I've thought something appeared in the air, only for it to be a speck on my screen. First time I've ever cleaned it.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:32 am UTC

Elmach wrote:Nüpiks?
Yeah, throw the rock!

Or maybe it's a nail.

There were four long stick things, and currently, two are seen. Are those two compound sticks, or are there more hidden to be lifted?

Tossing out spare parts. Definitely from IKEA.

CÜRKÏS TÅNT. $14.49. Available in Birch, Walnut or Maple veneer over sawdust particle board. Assembly required with included tiny, painful hexagonal bent rod and weird, malleable interlocking bolts.
Last edited by cmyk on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

KuwabatakeSanjuro

Postby KuwabatakeSanjuro » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:40 am UTC

Maybe she's building a banner? If so, maybe they aren't expecting an incoming tide/tsunami/flood (the banner would be a horrible thing to way in the flood zone; it'd just get washed away and become shrapnel-like).

In other news, the one true comic was mentioned in boing boing.
We have seen the Castles / We reject the Outside / We do not Sleep / We watch Time / We wait for it.

We await you, Blitzgirl! Travel on through the messages of the past. We wait for it and we wait for you to join us.

drewhannay

Postby drewhannay » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:43 am UTC

I think she's putting up a giant banner. She carried in poles, what looks like a sheet, and what looks like cans of paint. Just calling it now.

Edit: Darn, beat me to it.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:54 am UTC

KuwabatakeSanjuro

Postby KuwabatakeSanjuro » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:56 am UTC

drewhannay wrote:I think she's putting up a giant banner. She carried in poles, what looks like a sheet, and what looks like cans of paint. Just calling it now.

Edit: Darn, beat me to it.

s'alright. great minds and all that. good to know it looks like that to someone else too. :D
We have seen the Castles / We reject the Outside / We do not Sleep / We watch Time / We wait for it.

We await you, Blitzgirl! Travel on through the messages of the past. We wait for it and we wait for you to join us.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:57 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:Image

You beautiful monster.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

KuwabatakeSanjuro

Postby KuwabatakeSanjuro » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:58 am UTC

Now that's rather hilarious. Could it be the sign we were waiting for...? :D

jaronflick

Postby jaronflick » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:05 am UTC

I love the way all the chatter dies down at the hour while we all "wait for it." (Oh, and the wait for "IT" banner is great!)

Time is temporarily all for me.
We wait for it. It does not wait for us.

htom

Postby htom » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:06 am UTC

KuwabatakeSanjuro wrote:

Now that's rather hilarious. Could it be the sign we were waiting for...? :D

Thank you; this needle-pulled thing has brought me many giggles, but that image is the first belly-laugh!
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:10 am UTC

Hee hee. Got me for a sec, until I switched tabs to actually check.

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:12 am UTC

It has a different hash than the one at 9:00 EDT, so I'm posting it anyway.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:22 am UTC

boozledorf wrote:It has a different hash than the one at 9:00 EDT, so I'm posting it anyway.

That's weird. No change in action but a newpix? Time is in flux!

Someone should catalogue estimated time between each newpix based on what happened during that frame. Would be incredibly hard to guess for some, but for others it could be narrowed down within a few seconds.

Someone.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:26 am UTC

Ha, this punchline had crossed my mind a day or so ago. If Randall pulled a long con literal pun like that though, I'd fear for his personal safety, if I didn't already know his home is barricaded with electrified raptor fences with redundant safety fences in case of main raptor fence failure. They are known to be clever, systematically testing for weaknesses. Umm...

What was I talking about, again?

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:26 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
boozledorf wrote:It has a different hash than the one at 9:00 EDT, so I'm posting it anyway.

Someone should catalogue estimated time between each newpix based on what happened during that frame. Would be incredibly hard to guess for some, but for others it could be narrowed down within a few seconds.

Someone.

For the ones with trebuchet shot trajectories, should we assume G=9.80665 m/s2? Or do you suppose that's not safe here?
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:29 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
partingLance wrote:
It is there.
It is flying.

I don't know how many times I've thought something appeared in the air, only for it to be a speck on my screen. First time I've ever cleaned it.

Damn you all! I have just cleaned off my monitor for the first time in ... well ... ever, I think.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:29 am UTC

cmyk wrote:
Quicksilver wrote:
Spoiler:

Ha, this punchline had crossed my mind a day or so ago. If Randall pulled a long con literal pun like that though, I'd fear for his personal safety, if I didn't already know his home is barricaded with electrified raptor fences with redundant safety fences in case of main raptor fence failure. They are known to be clever, systematically testing for weaknesses. Umm...

The hardest thing about putting up electrified raptor fences has always been getting them to all hold "hands" in an unbroken chain. I eventually had to resort to tricking them with some super-glue.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:48 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

Someone.

For the ones with trebuchet shot trajectories, should we assume G=9.80665 m/s2? Or do you suppose that's not safe here?

Well, it depends. You'd need to know the mass, the surface drag of the projectile, and how many foot pounds of torque the launching arm had at release. Only after the the ballistic projectile's kinetic energy it recieved from the trebuchet has been overcome by gravity (at the apogee of its trajectory), can you then figure out the elapsed estimated time using 9.8m/s2 (and to get really nitpicky, without knowing the density, mass or surface drag, we can't figure its terminal velocity), but I doubt there's enough trajectory data points across frames to calculate with any meaningful accuracy, especially with all the other unknowns. This is also assuming elapsed time overall has remained a constant, which doesn't seem to be the case.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:54 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Quicksilver wrote:
Spoiler:

The hardest thing about putting up electrified raptor fences has always been getting them to all hold "hands" in an unbroken chain. I eventually had to resort to tricking them with some super-glue.

Brilliant. I hope the superglue doesn't degrade over time due to its effect on current resistance. It's one thing to fight off hoards of raptors and quite another to fight off pissed off, freshly electrocuted, and possibly magnetized raptors.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:01 am UTC

Another pole. Not looking good for bannerites & volleyballers.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:02 am UTC

1) If you wanted to calculate time, I think the best bet is based on the rising tide. But there's unknown variables there too.

2) I think she's digging a hole to bury her poop.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:07 am UTC

KarMann wrote:Image

I hope she's making sure those poles are plumb. I don't see her using a level or a plumb bob. Is she even licensed to be doing this type of installation?

*Kat*

Postby *Kat* » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:08 am UTC

partingLance wrote:
Latent22 wrote:I wonder if she is trying to solve the problem of not being able to build a sand castle above a certain height. As you go higher you have to stand on the sand castle you have already built and it won't support your weight. So maybe she is making a rig to dangle from while building.

That's the best suggestion yet, I think. It fits with the "we've gone as high as we can" line. With buckets and extra ropes to haul sand up from beach level.

Yes and let the record show that I called it several pages back (somewhere between pg 250 & 253)

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:13 am UTC

KarMann wrote:Image

Not to mention slingshotters and hammockers.
gc! (formerly "gn" for goodnight, but replace "night" with "coma" and you get goodcoma.)

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:14 am UTC

I just realized something. Three poles . . . lines in between . . .
Arecibo??
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:16 am UTC

KarMann wrote:I just realized something. Three poles . . . lines in between . . .
Arecibo??

This is perhaps the best speculation in the entire thread since the semencoffeecancerbabies incident.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:18 am UTC

KarMann wrote:I just realized something. Three poles . . . lines in between . . .
Arecibo??

Doubt it. Looks like she brought 4 poles. Looks like she plans on erecting them equidistant from each other.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:33 am UTC

*Kat* wrote:
partingLance wrote:

Yes and let the record show that I called it several pages back (somewhere between pg 250 & 253)

This makes the most sense! I like it.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:33 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
partingLance wrote:
It is there.
It is flying.

Damn you all!

Well, just so. Please to recall, you did declare us all heretics, a few newpix ago. Whether you were speaking ex cathedra is, of course, not for a lowly sinner like your correspondent to say.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:00 am UTC

Illud expecto, ergo sum.

htom

Postby htom » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:06 am UTC

Tide keeps creeping up, and *yawn* I'm off 'till tomorrow. They're not making changes to the model of the sandcastle.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”