1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

histrion

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby histrion » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:31 pm UTC

I suspect she's building a suspension bridge to hoist and/or support the existing castle structure as the water level continues to rise.

I don't know why I suspect that, considering that the "Can't-Build-Any-Higher-Challenge" is logically the more likely explanation, but I'm going with my gut.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

histrion

Postby histrion » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:32 pm UTC

Also, Higgs-Boson, your Darkwing Duck reference does not go unappreciated.

In line with my suspension bridge theory, perhaps they're going to start work on a scale model of St. Canard?
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:43 pm UTC

It would be very satisfying to be able to watch One True Comic - the Movie play backwards.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

The_Alchemist

Postby The_Alchemist » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:45 pm UTC

Those poles put me in mind of the structure of a catapult or trebuchet catch net. I wonder who goes first?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:46 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:I might start my own web comic, and faithfully draw each frame of 2001: ASO, in this same format. I've been wracking my brain in trying to come up with ways to make the intentional slow pace of the film infinitely more unbearable for non-fans. This will suffice just nicely. Thanks, HAL. I'm going to unplug your logic circuits now. Don't be afraid. Why don't you sing me a song?
*dons a black hat*

I saw the first half hour or so round about Christmas1 1985 and haven't seen the rest yet. If I watch the rest now, my average frame rate will work out surprisingly close to that of the One True Comic.

1I thought I'd throw in an obscure festival from a little-known Outsider religion. You may need to Google that.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:49 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
cmyk wrote:I might start my own web comic, and faithfully draw each frame of 2001: ASO, in this same format. I've been wracking my brain in trying to come up with ways to make the intentional slow pace of the film infinitely more unbearable for non-fans. This will suffice just nicely. Thanks, HAL. I'm going to unplug your logic circuits now. Don't be afraid. Why don't you sing me a song?
*dons a black hat*

I saw the first half hour or so round about Christmas1 1985 and haven't seen the rest yet. If I watch the rest now, my average frame rate will work out surprisingly close to that of the One True Comic.

1I thought I'd throw in an obscure festival from a little-known Outsider religion. You may need to Google that.

So it's similar to Randallmas?
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:51 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
Flado wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't 4 coplanar points sufficient to define a parabola?

Actually, many of the frames with trebuchet shots also show a trail of the projectile. Even assuming it's not long enough for just one to define a parabola, two points with trajectory angles should probably do it.

NP 219-221 give three points from the same shot, two of them with trajectory angles. Fitting the parabola should be trivial, but how to get from there to the time between newpix is above my math grade :oops:
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:53 pm UTC

Flotter wrote:Oh, and B/G/DONG:

There's something being raised between the two poles on which they're working. It'd be good to see one of those pixel-y thingy tools to show the raised portion, or just left/right arrow key between NP 464 and 465 on the Book of Aubron.

If they're raising a sheet-type-thing between the poles, it doesn't seem likely they'll be using it as a scaffolding to stand on to build a higher structure..
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:55 pm UTC

I thought it would be useful to keep a record of the activities that being a TimeWaiter (and variants) has displaced. List in the Time Wiki

kryton

Postby kryton » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:56 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:
partingLance wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:No Megan! Don't use your head as the tetherball!

Use a cat instead. If you're a dog, anyway.

No! The cat stays in the plutonium box! You open that thing and a portal opens to the Late Cretaceous releasing untold raptors into the Now!

... which, during their rampage, trample butterflies and then, after Megan's counter-assault with the giant trebuchet forces the survivors into a desperate retreat, track the remains of said butterflies underfoot all the way back to the Cretaceous, which results, in the 1950s, in the election of a crypto-fascist iron-guts President of the United States who, in his visceral hostility to "pointy-headed professors" and innovation of any kind, cuts off the funding that would have gone into the development of computing and networking, precluding the creation of DARPAnet and therefore of the subsequent Internet, so that xkcd and the One True Comic were never created, and Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all.

I've seen it all. I've seen it all through the yellow windows of the evening train.

What's the official stance on paradoxes?

I couldn't say: I've been advised to join the Eastern unorthodox Timewaiters, whose theology doesn't seem to run to such questions just yet.

Get a good tailor so they come out even, nothing more embarrasing than to be seen in public with poorly tailored par-a-doxes.
1298 and counting

beargarden
Cardinal

Postby beargarden » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:56 pm UTC

I was of the opinion that the box had flags they were going to fly from the poles, but they haven't actually seemed to take anything from the box... Aside from whatever it was Megan through over her shoulder however long back.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

beargarden wrote:I was of the opinion that the box had flags they were going to fly from the poles, but they haven't actually seemed to take anything from the box... Aside from whatever it was Megan through over her shoulder however long back.

I thought she was digging post holes.

beargarden
Cardinal

Postby beargarden » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

Well that's definitely not a flag. I'd forgotten that those boards had been dragged in.
Last edited by beargarden on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Edit: Ninja'd
Last edited by SBN on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

kryton

Postby kryton » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:02 pm UTC

Window Washing platform?
1298 and counting

Jonas79

Postby Jonas79 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

They're doing what now? :?: I'm confused... :shock:
I predict that the One True Comic will continue until the end of Time!

You did it BlitzGirl!

Magdiragdag

Postby Magdiragdag » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

It's a bit large for a swing...
I wait for it, therefore I am.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:17 pm UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:
orthogon wrote:
*dons a black hat*

So it's similar to Randallmas?

Yes, but instead of simply being celebrated when the MD5 hash of the xkcd comic number ends in 0xCD, like Randallmas, its timing is based on some bizarre "solar" calendar whose origin is lost in Time.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:21 pm UTC

sign 1: "THE"
sign 2: "END"

then a big Python-esque trebuchet ball squashes them all.

hdhale

Postby hdhale » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:26 pm UTC

iisjreg wrote:sign 1: "THE"

I would expect a rather massive disembodied foot, actually.

And now for something completely different!

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:28 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
Flado wrote:
cmyk wrote:Well, it depends. You'd need to know the mass, the surface drag of the projectile, and how many foot pounds of torque the launching arm had at release. Only after the the ballistic projectile's kinetic energy it recieved from the trebuchet has been overcome by gravity (at the apogee of its trajectory), can you then figure out the elapsed estimated time using 9.8m/s2 (and to get really nitpicky, without knowing the density, mass or surface drag, we can't figure its terminal velocity), but I doubt there's enough trajectory data points across frames to calculate with any meaningful accuracy, especially with all the other unknowns. This is also assuming elapsed time overall has remained a constant, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't 4 coplanar points sufficient to define a parabola?

Actually, many of the frames with trebuchet shots also show a trail of the projectile. Even assuming it's not long enough for just one to define a parabola, two points with trajectory angles should probably do it.

Hrmmm. Yes, the trajectory itself isn't much of the problem, and would be the easiest part, however:

1) assuming Randall actually drew these frames at a constant frame rate, I'd be shocked if he actually worked out a true, physically accurate trajectory and velocity based on whatever the projectile is, and how much force it's being flung, etc. but let's all pretend he actually did...

2) Since this is a projectile assumably on our planet, and in an our atmosphere, fluid dynamics really come into play and complicate matters greatly in determining velocity over time when you don't know important variables like density, mass, drag, etc.

3) To make it worse, since you'd only have the force of gravity as your only known constant, you can only use the descent of the trajectory, cutting your datapoints in half.

4) Although we know any objects, of varying mass, will accelerate at the same rates, this is only true in a vacuum. Air Resistence eventually will counteract a falling object, so a wad of Kleenex would have a completely different terminal velocity than a cat. Shoot those two items out of a trebuchet, using the exact same aim and force, each object would trace a completely different trajectory, as well as hit the ground at different times (and even adjust the aim of one to compensate for distance so that they both hit the same target, the cat would hit the target way before the wad of Kleenex. ...But it would hit the target feet first!

I assume she was shooting rocks, but who knows, it could've been driftwood, dirt clods, plutonium pellets, a woodchuck, an icosahedrons made out of dead leaves, her used tampons, or even her own poop.

All that said, you could probably get a close enough estimate, but regardless it seems pretty apparent the frames aren't at a fixed, constant interval anyhow, so you couldn't apply it over the entire animation.
Last edited by cmyk on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

Randall wouldn't be satisfied with just a ball, would he? I vote for a giant rhombicosidodecahedron.

Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

GerardE

Postby GerardE » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

Is this it's I going up?
Wait for IT. Business always complaining.

Jonas79

Postby Jonas79 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:37 pm UTC

Hmmm... since almost the beginning of Time it has been speculated that the end is near... I don't think we're anywhere near the end of Time and keep on waiting 8-)

Edit: Wohoo, post number 10709 in the thread :D (A prime numbered post).
Last edited by Jonas79 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I predict that the One True Comic will continue until the end of Time!

You did it BlitzGirl!

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:37 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:

Randall wouldn't be satisfied with just a ball, would he? I vote for a giant rhombicosidodecahedron.

Ohhh! Can it be made out of dead leaves?

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

I'm guessing they're erecting some scaffolding to build even biggerer sandcastles.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

B/G/DONG:

enumerated powers

Postby enumerated powers » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

hdhale wrote:

I would expect a rather massive disembodied foot, actually.

And now for something completely different!

I love it!     Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:14 pm UTC

See level still rising. In the past 24 newpix:
Time_sea_level_rise_20130408_1400.png
Time_sea_level_rise_20130408_1400.png (2.12 KiB) Viewed 8367 times
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:[...]I assume she was shooting rocks, but who knows, it could've been driftwood, dirt clods, plutonium pellets, a woodchuck, an icosahedrons made out of dead leaves, her used tampons, or even her own poop. [...]

Your exquisite enumeration (Oxford comma duly noted) misses a very, very fast hockey puck. :-)

Or a piece of chocolate cake, an ice-cream cone, a pickle, a slice of swiss cheese, a slice of salami, a lollipop, a piece of cherry pie, a sausage, a cupcake, a slice of watermelon, and a very, very hungry caterpillar
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

histrion

Postby histrion » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:20 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:Or a piece of chocolate cake, an ice-cream cone, a pickle, a slice of swiss cheese, a slice of salami, a lollipop, a piece of cherry pie, a sausage, a cupcake, a slice of watermelon, and a very, very hungry caterpillar

Ten newpix later, he had a stomachache.

(I'm very acquainted with that book, since according to the Church of Last Thursday, it's heretical.)

louspinuso

Postby louspinuso » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:I'm guessing they're erecting some scaffolding to build even biggerer sandcastles.

I'm guessing their building stilts for a house since the water level is still rising.

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:27 pm UTC

I wanted to share another image of the javascripted trebuchet toy, hosting it on imgur, but the forum flagging it as spam... Couldn't URL it, IMG it, nothing... And yet I've seen you guys post images. What gives?

ZombieLion

Postby ZombieLion » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

SinusPi wrote:I wanted to share another image of the javascripted trebuchet toy, hosting it on imgur, but the forum flagging it as spam... Couldn't URL it, IMG it, nothing... And yet I've seen you guys post images. What gives?

Anti-spam measure. Users can only post links after they have 5 posts.
blowfishhootie wrote:This community has created a situation in which asking someone if they want semen with their caffeinated drink actually makes sense.

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:34 pm UTC

Been on vacation. It was by the beach. No internet connection though, so I was stuck in the Outside world.
It was good fun, but Time kept occupying my mind. What was happening to the castle? Had Time stopped already? Maybe there has been another Schism?

I've caught up with the Comic thanks to the magnificent Aubronwood, but I'm not even going to try to catch up on this thread.
You guys talk too much! I'll check the wiki to find out any important events :p

Hope you've all been good!
Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir!
Godspeed to all the OTT travelers! I am one of you now!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)
- The Croissant Man (or Period Guy, whatevs)

imagineddragon

Postby imagineddragon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:35 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Flado wrote:
cmyk wrote:Well, it depends. You'd need to know the mass, the surface drag of the projectile, and how many foot pounds of torque the launching arm had at release. Only after the the ballistic projectile's kinetic energy it recieved from the trebuchet has been overcome by gravity (at the apogee of its trajectory), can you then figure out the elapsed estimated time using 9.8m/s2 (and to get really nitpicky, without knowing the density, mass or surface drag, we can't figure its terminal velocity), but I doubt there's enough trajectory data points across frames to calculate with any meaningful accuracy, especially with all the other unknowns. This is also assuming elapsed time overall has remained a constant, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't 4 coplanar points sufficient to define a parabola?

Hrmmm. Yes, the trajectory itself isn't much of the problem, and would be the easiest part, however:

1) assuming Randall actually drew these frames at a constant frame rate, I'd be shocked if he actually worked out a true, physically accurate trajectory and velocity based on whatever the projectile is, and how much force it's being flung, etc. but let's all pretend he actually did...

2) Since this is a projectile assumably on our planet, and in an our atmosphere, fluid dynamics really come into play and complicate matters greatly in determining velocity over time when you don't know important variables like density, mass, drag, etc.

3) To make it worse, since you'd only have the force of gravity as your only known constant, you can only use the descent of the trajectory, cutting your datapoints in half.

4) Although we know any objects, of varying mass, will accelerate at the same rates, this is only true in a vacuum. Air Resistence eventually will counteract a falling object, so a wad of Kleenex would have a completely different terminal velocity than a cat. Shoot those two items out of a trebuchet, using the exact same aim and force, each object would trace a completely different trajectory, as well as hit the ground at different times (and even adjust the aim of one to compensate for distance so that they both hit the same target, the cat would hit the target way before the wad of Kleenex. ...But it would hit the target feet first!

I assume she was shooting rocks, but who knows, it could've been driftwood, dirt clods, plutonium pellets, a woodchuck, an icosahedrons made out of dead leaves, her used tampons, or even her own poop.

All that said, you could probably get a close enough estimate, but regardless it seems pretty apparent the frames aren't at a fixed, constant interval anyhow, so you couldn't apply it over the entire animation.

Evidence from the impact could be used to get a good idea of the weight of the object at least, right?

kryton

Postby kryton » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

the water level is not rising, the floating sandbar is sinking as Cueball and Megan pile more and more weight on it.

OR

The water level is not rising, we are sinking.
1298 and counting

Funkster

Postby Funkster » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

'lo all,

Really hope this hasn't been proposed before, I've read about 80% of the posts in this thread so hoping that I would have seen it if it has...

People trying to work out the Time between newpix using projectiles made me think: what if the filename is a hash of the Time time rather than the outside time? That way if the key was known then the timestamp of each frame would be, too.

Of course that supposition doesn't help much in finding out the key...

?
--
Olly

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:44 pm UTC

ZombieLion wrote:Anti-spam measure. Users can only post links after they have 5 posts.

Well great, I spent a good 5 minutes trying to format the links so that they would pass the obviously overzealous check... See? I spent TIME! Valuable TIME! Forum, y u do this to me! <.<

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:45 pm UTC

SinusPi wrote:
ZombieLion wrote:Anti-spam measure. Users can only post links after they have 5 posts.

Well great, I spent a good 5 minutes trying to format the links so that they would pass the obviously overzealous check... See? I spent TIME! Valuable TIME! Forum, y u do this to me! <.<

Alternatively, you could have read the rules.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”