1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Drakeesh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Drakeesh » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:49 pm UTC

Coming soon to an Internet near you!

A Special production of "Sand" by the world renowned Cirque du Soleil!

Captured in staggering Newpix definition!

Raising of the Big Top has already begun!
Sir Aheem, Defender of the Former Right Flag, Keeper of the Shards of the Shattered Right Tower

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

Drakeesh wrote:Coming soon to an Internet near you!

A Special production of "Sand" by the world renowned Cirque du Soleil!

Captured in staggering Newpix definition!

Raising of the Big Top has already begun!

Soundtrack: http://youtu.be/1D5Sa2Yq-2g
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:2) Since this is a projectile assumably on our planet, and in an our atmosphere, fluid dynamics really come into play and complicate matters greatly in determining velocity over time when you don't know important variables like density, mass, drag, etc.

I assume she was shooting rocks, but who knows, it could've been driftwood, dirt clods, plutonium pellets, a woodchuck, an icosahedrons made out of dead leaves, her used tampons, or even her own poop.

In the absence of evidence to the contrary, the custom is to assume a spherical cow in a vacuum. No?
All that said, you could probably get a close enough estimate, but regardless it seems pretty apparent the frames aren't at a fixed, constant interval anyhow, so you couldn't apply it over the entire animation.

You are, of course, right - there is no way she can run, carrying stuff, twice as fast as her spherical cow flies, even in a vacuum. Nonetheless, it would be nice to check Randall's math - whether it is at all possible for a catapult to launch anything on this trajectory. Heresy, I know. But I am the Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church, so it is somehow expected of me. And not.
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

edo

Postby edo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:22 pm UTC

Flado wrote: Heresy, I know. But I am the Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church, so it is somehow expected of me. And not.

Yes, as the Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church is infallible when speaking heresies.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

imagineddragon wrote:
cmyk wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Flado wrote:
cmyk wrote:Well, it depends. You'd need to know the mass, the surface drag of the projectile, and how many foot pounds of torque the launching arm had at release. Only after the the ballistic projectile's kinetic energy it recieved from the trebuchet has been overcome by gravity (at the apogee of its trajectory), can you then figure out the elapsed estimated time using 9.8m/s2 (and to get really nitpicky, without knowing the density, mass or surface drag, we can't figure its terminal velocity), but I doubt there's enough trajectory data points across frames to calculate with any meaningful accuracy, especially with all the other unknowns. This is also assuming elapsed time overall has remained a constant, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't 4 coplanar points sufficient to define a parabola?

Actually, many of the frames with trebuchet shots also show a trail of the projectile. Even assuming it's not long enough for just one to define a parabola, two points with trajectory angles should probably do it.

Hrmmm. Yes, the trajectory itself isn't much of the problem, and would be the easiest part, however:

1) assuming Randall actually drew these frames at a constant frame rate, I'd be shocked if he actually worked out a true, physically accurate trajectory and velocity based on whatever the projectile is, and how much force it's being flung, etc. but let's all pretend he actually did...

2) Since this is a projectile assumably on our planet, and in an our atmosphere, fluid dynamics really come into play and complicate matters greatly in determining velocity over time when you don't know important variables like density, mass, drag, etc.

3) To make it worse, since you'd only have the force of gravity as your only known constant, you can only use the descent of the trajectory, cutting your datapoints in half.

4) Although we know any objects, of varying mass, will accelerate at the same rates, this is only true in a vacuum. Air Resistence eventually will counteract a falling object, so a wad of Kleenex would have a completely different terminal velocity than a cat. Shoot those two items out of a trebuchet, using the exact same aim and force, each object would trace a completely different trajectory, as well as hit the ground at different times (and even adjust the aim of one to compensate for distance so that they both hit the same target, the cat would hit the target way before the wad of Kleenex. ...But it would hit the target feet first!

I assume she was shooting rocks, but who knows, it could've been driftwood, dirt clods, plutonium pellets, a woodchuck, an icosahedrons made out of dead leaves, her used tampons, or even her own poop.

All that said, you could probably get a close enough estimate, but regardless it seems pretty apparent the frames aren't at a fixed, constant interval anyhow, so you couldn't apply it over the entire animation.

Evidence from the impact could be used to get a good idea of the weight of the object at least, right?

Sadly, no... :!: I totally forgot an important factor:

The projectile isn't necessarily being shot into a trajectory where gravity will eventually halt its kinetic energy entirely (the apogee of a parabola), accelerating it back to earth at 9.8m/s2, because its ballistic course may hit the target before that happens. Especially if shot at a low, fast angle.

So, analyzing the damage taken upon impact, assuming it's ordinary damp sand, won't do you any good, since a 10 kilo object going 100 mph, would inflict the same damage as a 5 kilo object going 200 mph (f = ma | 447.04 kg/s in both scenarios).

Meaning, unless you can tell me the mass of the projectile, and the force it was shot by the trebuchet, I'm afraid we're still out of luck.

...unlessss, they're using spherical cows in a vacuum...

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

kryton

Postby kryton » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

it sort of resembles a fishing trawler now...
1298 and counting

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:38 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
imagineddragon wrote:
cmyk wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Flado wrote:
cmyk wrote:Well, it depends. You'd need to know the mass, the surface drag of the projectile, and how many foot pounds of torque the launching arm had at release. Only after the the ballistic projectile's kinetic energy it recieved from the trebuchet has been overcome by gravity (at the apogee of its trajectory), can you then figure out the elapsed estimated time using 9.8m/s2 (and to get really nitpicky, without knowing the density, mass or surface drag, we can't figure its terminal velocity), but I doubt there's enough trajectory data points across frames to calculate with any meaningful accuracy, especially with all the other unknowns. This is also assuming elapsed time overall has remained a constant, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't 4 coplanar points sufficient to define a parabola?

Actually, many of the frames with trebuchet shots also show a trail of the projectile. Even assuming it's not long enough for just one to define a parabola, two points with trajectory angles should probably do it.

Hrmmm. Yes, the trajectory itself isn't much of the problem, and would be the easiest part, however:

1) assuming Randall actually drew these frames at a constant frame rate, I'd be shocked if he actually worked out a true, physically accurate trajectory and velocity based on whatever the projectile is, and how much force it's being flung, etc. but let's all pretend he actually did...

2) Since this is a projectile assumably on our planet, and in an our atmosphere, fluid dynamics really come into play and complicate matters greatly in determining velocity over time when you don't know important variables like density, mass, drag, etc.

3) To make it worse, since you'd only have the force of gravity as your only known constant, you can only use the descent of the trajectory, cutting your datapoints in half.

4) Although we know any objects, of varying mass, will accelerate at the same rates, this is only true in a vacuum. Air Resistence eventually will counteract a falling object, so a wad of Kleenex would have a completely different terminal velocity than a cat. Shoot those two items out of a trebuchet, using the exact same aim and force, each object would trace a completely different trajectory, as well as hit the ground at different times (and even adjust the aim of one to compensate for distance so that they both hit the same target, the cat would hit the target way before the wad of Kleenex. ...But it would hit the target feet first!

Evidence from the impact could be used to get a good idea of the weight of the object at least, right?

The projectile isn't necessarily being shot into a trajectory where gravity will eventually halt its kinetic energy entirely (the apogee of a parabola), accelerating it back to earth at 9.8m/s2, because its ballistic course may hit the target before that happens. Especially if shot at a low, fast angle.

So, analyzing the damage taken upon impact, assuming it's ordinary damp sand, won't do you any good, since a 10 kilo object going 100 mph, would inflict the same damage as a 5 kilo object going 200 mph (f = ma | 447.04 kg/s in both scenarios).

Meaning, unless you can tell me the mass of the projectile, and the force it was shot by the trebuchet, I'm afraid we're still out of luck.

This I have to full-quote. How on earth did you ever manage to catch a thrown ball? :-)

Empiricism and gut feeling*. Not infallible, not even if preceeded with "Simon says:".
But good enough for balls** to be caught in mid-air.

And me, they called "nerdish". Pshaw.

*With math, I would not be a match for Randall, anyway. Not even close.
**And frisbees (R), cheap mobile phones***, car keys, or any java.lang.Throwables.
***The expensive ones escape on regular basis.
****Why are you reading this?
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

kryton

Postby kryton » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:51 pm UTC

Unreasonable to expect the other pair of vertical posts will also get a crossbeam next?
1298 and counting

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:52 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:[...] So, analyzing the damage taken upon impact, assuming it's ordinary damp sand, won't do you any good, since a 10 kilo object going 100 mph, would inflict the same damage as a 5 kilo object going 200 mph (f = ma | 447.04 kg/s in both scenarios). [...]

This has to be answered stand-alone, because it may not be quite true for every application of the Conservation of Momentum.
E.g. at Mach 8 (~ 6000 mph) to carry the same momentum the object could be (gasp, did you plan this!?) of the weight of an ordinary hockey puck - about 164g[verification needed]. But according to The Great Lord Of All Our Time Waiting Randall there isn't so much experience with that kind of collisions, yet. The impact may not be the same, even if the momentum would be equal to 5kg at 200 mph.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:Not infallible,

Speaking of which, where's Pope Helper been?

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:57 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:Not infallible,

Speaking of which, where's Pope Helper been?

This is a valid question. I have not seen him in some time.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

kryton wrote:Unreasonable to expect the other pair of vertical posts will also get a crossbeam next?

Yes, quite unreasonable
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

I should be doing homeworks important cardinal duties, but I noticed that nobody has posted the previous pic, so here it is. Regarding the new one, why is she bringing a stair before they've finished the right "thing"?

EDIT: btw, anyone good at analysis of italian poetry?
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

The sea level / hovercraft-raft submerge depth has actually LOWERED from 467 to 468, just a tad.

9hili9

Postby 9hili9 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
kryton wrote:Unreasonable to expect the other pair of vertical posts will also get a crossbeam next?

Yes, quite unreasonable

Mention ye not, the crossbeams. Lest one be observed askew on the treadle.
We don't want any more of that unpleasantness, do we?

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
cmyk wrote:[...] So, analyzing the damage taken upon impact, assuming it's ordinary damp sand, won't do you any good, since a 10 kilo object going 100 mph, would inflict the same damage as a 5 kilo object going 200 mph (f = ma | 447.04 kg/s in both scenarios). [...]

This has to be answered stand-alone, because it may not be quite true for every application of the Conservation of Momentum.
E.g. at Mach 8 (~ 6000 mph) to carry the same momentum the object could be (gasp, did you plan this!?) of the weight of an ordinary hockey puck - about 164g[verification needed]. But according to The Great Lord Of All Our Time Waiting Randall there isn't so much experience with that kind of collisions, yet. The impact may not be the same, even if the momentum would be equal to 5kg at 200 mph.

Interesting. Something to think about a bit more.

Also, something traveling at supersonic speeds is going to not only be undetectable by the human eye, but is going to get pretty damn hot, pretty damn fast, especially going Mach 8. So it wouldn't even register from one newpic to the next.

I'm afraid the Newpix time unit isn't granular enought to make timespan estimates from Newtonian mechanics, especially for fast moving things. Too bad the tides aren't a constant everywhere on the globe at every latitude and every lunar cycle or we'd have something to work with.

If only they cast shadows!

I wish I had planned the hockey puck equivalence, but to claim so, I'd have to know you'd pick Mach 8. Which would make it appear I am a time traveler. And I am, but I'm fresh outta plutonium.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

histrion

Postby histrion » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

You may be inclined to think so; I couldn't possibly comment.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

Montov

Postby Montov » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

Mega is bringing the Roman numeral 2 (or something ending on 2, like 3, 7, 8, 12, 13 or 2013). Possibly to decorate the castle.

digimuzik

Postby digimuzik » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:27 pm UTC

Montov wrote:Megan is bringing the Roman numeral 2 (or something ending on 2, like 3, 7, 8, 12, 13 or 2013). Possibly to decorate the castle.

I was thinking ladder, but this is much more likely...
Keep bringing us news from the past, smolloy!

I waited for it... XKCD Time Wiki

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

I just want to say how awesome the trebuchet game is.
It definitely makes newpix seems like milliPix and has a good Worms feeling to it. Which is always a plus!

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:This I have to full-quote. How on earth did you ever manage to catch a thrown ball? :-)

Empiricism and gut feeling*. Not infallible, not even if preceeded with "Simon says:".
But good enough for balls** to be caught in mid-air.

And me, they called "nerdish". Pshaw.

*With math, I would not be a match for Randall, anyway. Not even close.
**And frisbees (R), cheap mobile phones***, car keys, or any java.lang.Throwables.
***The expensive ones escape on regular basis.
****Why are you reading this?

Ha. No, no, you're right on. Catching is all instinct, and gut-based reflexes. It's Pitching that requires a slide rule, some calculus, an elaborate set up of liquid nitrogen cooled lasers and prisms, and as much graph paper the umpire will let you bring on the mound.

Why do you think baseball games are so frikkin' long? It's the nerdiest non-contact sport there is.

jasonkoller

Postby jasonkoller » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

Has any one put together a gif or mpeg of the images we've seen so far?

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:36 pm UTC

jasonkoller wrote:Has any one put together a gif or mpeg of the images we've seen so far?

There's plenty, but I've been visiting this site. It's scrubbable, updates automatically, and has play/pause and speed controls.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:38 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:I wish I had planned the hockey puck equivalence, but to claim so, I'd have to know you'd pick Mach 8. Which would make it appear I am a time traveler. And I am, but I'm fresh outta plutonium.

What other than Mach 8 should I have picked, then? :-)

Which, by the way, put onto display that a hockey puck weighting 5 kg incoming with 200 mph would push the goalie into the goal.
Which would lead to a hockyPuckSizeException. Inevitable, even with Plutonium-made puck.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

I predict it'll only be a matter of Time before somebody reenacts this entire comic with still photography.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
jasonkoller wrote:Has any one put together a gif or mpeg of the images we've seen so far?

There's plenty, but I've been visiting this site. It's scrubbable, updates automatically, and has play/pause and speed controls.

Dude, where have you been. The Book of Aubron.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
cmyk wrote:I wish I had planned the hockey puck equivalence, but to claim so, I'd have to know you'd pick Mach 8. Which would make it appear I am a time traveler. And I am, but I'm fresh outta plutonium.

What other than Mach 8 should I have picked, then? :-)

Which, by the way, put onto display that a hockey puck weighting 5 kg incoming with 200 mph would push the goalie into the goal.
Which would lead to a hockyPuckSizeException. Inevitable, even with Plutonium-made puck.

:smack:

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
cmyk wrote:

Dude, where have you been. The Book of Aubron.

I'm blame the sleep deprivation. That is a bit nicer.

:another smack with a hint of puce:
Last edited by cmyk on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
imagineddragon wrote:
cmyk wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Flado wrote:

Which of course, brings up an important question...how do you milk spherical vaccum cows? we need some creme for the semencancerbabycoffee.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

histrion

Postby histrion » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:45 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:I predict it'll only be a matter of Time before somebody reenacts this entire comic with still photography.

If we're lucky, they'll hold up signs for speech balloons rather than adding the speech in post.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
cmyk wrote:
imagineddragon wrote:
cmyk wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Flado wrote:

Which of course, brings up an important question...how do you milk spherical vaccum cows? we need some creme for the semencancerbabycoffee.

You must roll them over until you find their hexagonal utters. Be sure to use an Allen wrench to stir with.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
cmyk wrote:I predict it'll only be a matter of Time before somebody reenacts this entire comic with still photography.

If we're lucky, they'll hold up signs for speech balloons rather than adding the speech in post.

Someone get OK Go on the horn, they'll knock it out of the park. And with a catchy beat we can all dance to, too.

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

All that work with the poles etc and they've no so much as kicked a flag over by mistake...
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

RobIrr wrote:Image

All that work with the poles etc and they've no so much as kicked a flag over by mistake...

Definitely a stair... or a rail?
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

histrion

Postby histrion » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Well, it's not Roman numerals. They might be going for old-style tally marks...

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:04 pm UTC

Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

histrion

Postby histrion » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

It suddenly occurs to me that Randall has set up an awful/wonderful precedent. From now on, everyone's going to be half-expecting his strips to launch into week-long auto-updates.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:13 pm UTC

It could still be a giant trebuchet they're constructing. The poles with the crossbeam could act as the fulcrum, and the other two poles could be the beginning stages for the brace.

A trebuchet that size would require a ladder too.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

This is beginning to look like the setup for a trapeze act.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:17 pm UTC

RobIrr wrote:All that work with the poles etc and they've no so much as kicked a flag over by mistake...

Good point.
Bits of castle used to fall off when you just looked at them. But in the past hectonewpix or so (since Megan's fall) nothing has been damaged inadvertently.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”