1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jdc

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jdc » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

I think there will be a dinosaur. I have tried to draw a picture of this dinosaur so that you can see what I am imagining. I must apologise in advance for my lack of skill with ms paint.

Spoiler:
Trex1.JPG
Trex1.JPG (9.63 KiB) Viewed 8627 times
Bumbling charlatan

descor

Postby descor » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:42 pm UTC

jdc wrote:I think there will be a dinosaur. I have tried to draw a picture of this dinosaur so that you can see what I am imagining. I must apologise in advance for my lack of skill with ms paint.

Spoiler:
Trex1.JPG

Best picture ever!
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

jdc wrote:I think there will be a dinosaur. I have tried to draw a picture of this dinosaur so that you can see what I am imagining. I must apologise in advance for my lack of skill with ms paint.

Spoiler:
Trex1.JPG

We've got the next pablo picasso right here, folks.

Do a portrait of cueball!

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:45 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:
Mikeski wrote:
histrion wrote:
udscbt wrote:
Caswallon wrote:Has anyone else noticed the complete and total lack of wind? The flags have not moved one pixel since being erected.

I actually think that those are plastic flags.

Maybe they're eighth notes, and M&C are now building staves.

There's never really been much for ripples or waves on the water, either. A few frames with a one-pixel difference, IIRC. So the air must be pretty still.

If the water (assuming it's water even if we shouldn't) is a small enough lake it's normal it looks almost still (if the wind is not TOO strong). We know that there's a sea, but we don't know where it is (just as we don't know where the river is). Obviously, if that is a small enough lake the rising is not caused by the tide... well, actually it could if Megan and Cueball are actually much smaller than humans, but it's probably caused by other factors.

I don't know what science magic you're using but I did make that point before.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:49 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:

Spoiler:
Trex1.JPG

Stunning just stunning. Perhaps you could be persuaded to do the Mural on the ceiling of the timewaiter chapel?
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

descor

Postby descor » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

Spoiler:
Trex1.JPG

Stunning just stunning. Perhaps you could be persuaded to do the Mural on the ceiling of the timewaiter chapel?

Chapel? Surely you meant to say Castle?

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

I also thought about them being in a giant hourglass quite some time ago. . .I first reached this conclusion when they went for a "swim" and she immediately came out spitting something out. Despite all of the suggestions what that substance might be :) I thought it might simply be more sand. That would make sense if they were in an hourglass and that was all there was in there with them.

I gave up on that theory, though, when they started walking off and coming back with trebuchets, flags, poles, etc.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

descor wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

Spoiler:
Trex1.JPG

Both, I meant the chapel within the castle. :p
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

Coma time! And she picked up the white box.
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:
There is one problem with this: 3 points is sufficient to define a parabola if it is assumed to have a given orientation, as in y = ax^2 + bx + c. If your x-y coordinate system is also arbitrarily placed within space, you need a 4th point to completely constrain the parabola, as you can have infinite parabolas passing through 3 points, each "pointing" in a different direction. Now, assuming that gravity works here as it does in the Outside, then we have a method of orienting our coordinate system, but some here may argue that this is one too many assumptions.

All perfectly true, but I think it's a safe assumption that up is up. (There was a projectile that went straight up and came straight back down, for example.)

It could be possible that we are not looking perpendicular to the plane of the parabola. (The projectiles are partially coming toward us or partially going away from us.) It turns out that this orientation cancels out.

jdc

Postby jdc » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

Here is Cueball sitting on a train. Cueball has been engrossed in a forum thread on the internet and lost track of his time and where he is. The train guard is telling Cueball "Gee willikers! This is the end of the line! You have to get off the train! All the other passengers have already departed the train! Why are you still here?!"

Spoiler:
Cueball and the train guard.JPG
Cueball and the train guard.JPG (4.94 KiB) Viewed 8547 times

PS: the guard looks a bit funny, as if his head is in the wrong place. He is actually looking downwards slightly so his neck is craned a little. His body is actually normal.
Bumbling charlatan

jdc

Postby jdc » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

Here is Cueball discovering the Scroll Trench Mystery Object. It has been speculated that the mystery object may be a giant fossilised human penis (male). This is why Cueball has gasped and clapped his hands to his mouth in amazement.

Spoiler:
Cueball discovering the Scroll Trench mystery object.JPG
Cueball discovering the Scroll Trench mystery object.JPG (4.37 KiB) Viewed 8542 times
Bumbling charlatan

descor

Postby descor » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

jdc wrote:Here is Cueball sitting on a train. Cueball has been engrossed in a forum thread on the internet and lost track of his time and where he is. The train guard is telling Cueball "Gee willikers! This is the end of the line! You have to get off the train! All the other passengers have already departed the train! Why are you still here?!"

Spoiler:

PS: the guard looks a bit funny, as if his head is in the wrong place. He is actually looking downwards slightly so his neck is craned a little. His body is actually normal.

You really should stop posting these masterpieces on the thread - makes it much more difficult to sell them for the trillions they are clearly worth!

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

jdc

Postby jdc » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

descor wrote:
jdc wrote:Here is Cueball sitting on a train. Cueball has been engrossed in a forum thread on the internet and lost track of his time and where he is. The train guard is telling Cueball "Gee willikers! This is the end of the line! You have to get off the train! All the other passengers have already departed the train! Why are you still here?!"

Spoiler:

You really should stop posting these masterpieces on the thread - makes it much more difficult to sell them for the trillions they are clearly worth!

Thank you for the sage advice. I will guard them more carefully from now on. Jealously, in fact.
Bumbling charlatan

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

We may have our first Saint... (or do you have to die before you can become a saint?, I'm not sure)

I am so in awe i must coma.

histrion

Postby histrion » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:Hourglasses don't usually contain water, tides, trebuchets, poles, or rope.

(Or people, who would likely not survive the first turning of said hourglass).

People usually have faces.

I suspect an examination of the length and breadth of xkcd would turn up a lot of unrealistic moments. (Depending on how you define "a lot.") :)
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

gorn

Postby gorn » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

histrion wrote:Maybe they're actually in a giant hourglass. (Has anyone else suggested that yet?)

Oooh......

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:11 pm UTC

descor wrote:

Spoiler:

Trillions of what? Dollars? Pesos? Grains of Sand? Air molecules?
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
Mikeski wrote:Hourglasses don't usually contain water, tides, trebuchets, poles, or rope.

I suspect an examination of the length and breadth of xkcd would turn up a lot of unrealistic moments. (Depending on how you define "a lot.") :)

Unrealistic? The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

jdc

Postby jdc » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
histrion wrote:

Unrealistic? The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

I keep trying to tell people that but they won't listen.
Bumbling charlatan

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:37 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Trex1.JPG

Okay, I just about lost my shit LOLing on this one.

Bravo, sir.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:52 pm UTC

Holy shit, jdc, I'm over here cracking up with tears in my eyes. Perfect set-up and spike in delivery.

Also, "fossilized human penis (male)" almost made me shart. Best parenthetical ever.

Actually, I think I did shart, brb
Last edited by cmyk on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
Eutychus wrote:This is beginning to look like the setup for a trapeze act.

That's what she said.

FTFY.

macraw83 wrote:
descor wrote:

Spoiler:

Trillions of what? Dollars? Pesos? Grains of Sand? Air molecules?

I propose that sand grains be the currency of Time. After all, they're both fitting for the sand theme and far more able than most other things to withstand the test of Time.

Also +1 for the masterpieces. I have never seen such amazing art, except in Time.
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

Wait a second, sister! Everyone just stop for a sec! I just had a brainwave...

Maybe they're really in a giant hourglass!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:Holy shit, jdc, I'm over here cracking up with tears in my eyes. Perfect set-up and spike in delivery.

Also, "fossilized human penis (male)" almost made me shart. Best parenthetical ever.

You've been double posting a lot. Please try to cut down on it a little. I did it too the first few days after I joined. Just a friendly reminder.
Might I direct you to rule #7 of the forum rules:
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30124
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:07 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
cmyk wrote:Holy shit, jdc, I'm over here cracking up with tears in my eyes. Perfect set-up and spike in delivery.

You've been double posting a lot. Please try to cut down on it a little. I did it too the first few days after I joined. Just a friendly reminder.
Might I direct you to rule #7 of the forum rules:
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30124

Wow, thanks for pointing that out HAL, I truly missed that one. I frequent another board that only has a 5 minute edit window, it's just ingrained behavior now. I've come to think of posts as "paragraphs."

Chalk it up to human error.

edo

Postby edo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

10 past the newpix. I was so sure I was going to get Ninja'd. Why is everyone so slow these days?
Last edited by edo on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

edo wrote:Image

What's in the box!
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:14 pm UTC

Flado wrote:
Smithers wrote:I AM NOT YOUR PROPHET!!

There you go. The true prophet. And not. The Western Paradox Church hails you.
You two sort it out. I'm transcending to coma.

I love your profile picture.
descor wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

Spoiler:
Trex1.JPG

We have a castle? :D
jdc wrote:Here is Cueball discovering the Scroll Trench Mystery Object. It has been speculated that the mystery object may be a giant fossilised human penis (male). This is why Cueball has gasped and clapped his hands to his mouth in amazement.

Spoiler:
Cueball discovering the Scroll Trench mystery object.JPG

We should put these on the wiki. I think you deserve the position of Holy Artist or something like that. If only Pope Helper were here.

EDIT:
Cueball's trying to figure out what the sea's doing.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

edo

Postby edo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:16 pm UTC

The water level has definitely risen. Perhaps there will be some dialog about it.

(Now for something completely different) Time as an allegory for civilization - thoughts?

Edit: Hey did you g/uy/als know there's only 15 rulez?

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:27 pm UTC

Sea level rise since the second pan, many many newpix ago:
Time_sea_level_rise_20130408_2300.png
Time_sea_level_rise_20130408_2300.png (3.58 KiB) Viewed 8290 times
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:28 pm UTC

edo wrote:The water level has definitely risen. Perhaps there will be some dialog about it.

(Now for something completely different) Time as an allegory for civilization - thoughts?

I believe there already has been dialog about that. "I don't understand what the sea is doing."
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

jdc wrote:
Spoiler:

Stick figures & block objects as JPEGs? Tsk, tsk!
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

edo

Postby edo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

tman2nd wrote:
edo wrote:The water level has definitely risen. Perhaps there will be some dialog about it.

I believe there already has been dialog about that. "I don't understand what the sea is doing."

Yes, I meant that there might be some additional dialog about it, as it has risen especially much recently.
Last edited by edo on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:34 pm UTC

histrion wrote:It suddenly occurs to me that Randall has set up an awful/wonderful precedent. From now on, everyone's going to be half-expecting his strips to launch into weeks-long auto-updates.

FTFY

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:36 pm UTC

jdc wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
histrion wrote:

I keep trying to tell people that but they won't listen.

I just had to sig that ChronosDragon, too true.

Wraithlord, the AntiPope
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:37 pm UTC

Being denizens of Plank Space, they experience time at its slowest possible measure: Planck Time. A second for us seem an eternity to them, being on the very precipice of oblivion; whatever lies beyond the singularity where time not only stops, it becomes meaningless.

They build sandcastles from the quanta of energy that resides in every Planck Unit. They can only move about in quantum leaps, the idea of a continuum being completely alien to their intellects, as their movement was to Zeno.

They sense there's more to reality than they can see or touch, reaching out into the anti-quanta they borrow their energy from to build, and must eventually pay for it with entropy, their only currency.

And yet, like us, they really like trebuchets.
Last edited by cmyk on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

histrion

Postby histrion » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:37 pm UTC

Here's a question I'm pondering: I'm sure Randall has the entire sequence of images planned, but do you think he's got them all already drawn? I'd lean towards yes, but then I've never tried to draw a strip on a regular basis.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:38 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
edo wrote:
Spoiler:

What's in the box!

PAIN
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:42 pm UTC

histrion wrote:Here's a question I'm pondering: I'm sure Randall has the entire sequence of images planned, but do you think he's got them all already drawn? I'd lean towards yes, but then I've never tried to draw a strip on a regular basis.

My guess is he has it all planned, but is producing as many frames as he can on some schedule. Probably had the first 100 or so done, moved on to something else, returns to complete more, and so on.

Perhaps the reason for the 30 min. to an hour between newpix updates is he's running a bit behind schedule?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”