1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mathrec

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mathrec » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:43 pm UTC

tman2nd wrote:
descor wrote:Chapel? Surely you meant to say Castle?

We have a castle? :D

We know how to build a castle any time that we need one...sand and Time.

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:51 pm UTC

histrion wrote:Here's a question I'm pondering: I'm sure Randall has the entire sequence of images planned, but do you think he's got them all already drawn? I'd lean towards yes, but then I've never tried to draw a strip on a regular basis.
I think the entire thing is done already and he's just sitting back and watching it go.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:56 pm UTC

Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:05 am UTC

Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:07 am UTC

cmyk wrote:
histrion wrote:Here's a question I'm pondering: I'm sure Randall has the entire sequence of images planned, but do you think he's got them all already drawn? I'd lean towards yes, but then I've never tried to draw a strip on a regular basis.

My guess is he has it all planned, but is producing as many frames as he can on some schedule. Probably had the first 100 or so done, moved on to something else, returns to complete more, and so on.

Perhaps the reason for the 30 min. to an hour between newpix updates is he's running a bit behind schedule?

Or he made a large number beforehand (he most likely uses some form of drawing software, so it wouldn't be hard to change from one newpix to the next), noticed the degree of attention it was receiving, and has slowed down the updates to give him time to draw more. In other words, perhaps we're still going through the original batch, but he's slowed them down to buy some time to make a new chunk.
EDIT: Methinks the box is a lunchbox.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:09 am UTC

First time I've ever seen a Monty Python sketch (or part of one). Didn't exactly expect the rickroll, but it was well appreciated. :lol: "And now for something completely different" indeed.
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:10 am UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:

First time I've ever seen a Monty Python sketch (or part of one). Didn't exactly expect the rickroll, but it was well appreciated. :lol: "And now for something completely different" indeed.

I'm sure the Pythons would appreciate it :D
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:13 am UTC

Nobody expects a Rickroll!
EDIT: My 100th post!
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:15 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:

As would Randall.
http://xkcd.com/16/
Yet another comic referenced. There should be a list on the wiki.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

imagineddragon

Postby imagineddragon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:19 am UTC

cmyk wrote:
edo wrote:The water level has definitely risen. Perhaps there will be some dialog about it.

(Now for something completely different) Time as an allegory for civilization - thoughts?

Being denizens of Plank Space, they experience time at its slowest possible measure: Planck Time. A second for us seem an eternity to them, being on the very precipice of oblivion; whatever lies beyond the singularity where time not only stops, it becomes meaningless.

They build sandcastles from the quanta of energy that resides in every Planck Unit. They can only move about in quantum leaps, the idea of a continuum being completely alien to their intellects, as their movement was to Zeno.

They sense there's more to reality than they can see or touch, reaching out into the anti-quanta they borrow their energy from to build, and must eventually pay for it with entropy, their only currency.

And yet, like us, they really like trebuchets.

marvelous!

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:21 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Yet another comic referenced. There should be a list on the wiki.

A list of all time/Time related comics! (http://xkcd.com/13/)

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:27 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:

As would Randall.
http://xkcd.com/16/
Yet another comic referenced. There should be a list on the wiki.

I've already volunteered to make such a list, once things settle down. As matters stand right now I wouldn't have a chance with this thread still very much alive. (Took me a week to catch up when I fell behind 100 pages - Zeno's paradox in action).
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:28 am UTC

I hope folks noticed that there was a couple more Spanish Inquisition segments after the first :D

Back closer to the topic, there was something I meant to say earlier but I've already forgotten what it was :(

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:51 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
edo wrote:
Spoiler:

What's in the box!

PAIN

You might find it hard to imagine, but I've asked the box question countless times in various circles, and only about one or two people EVER got this answer right... Usually it's "Schrödinger's Cat", though.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:56 am UTC

SinusPi wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
edo wrote:
Spoiler:

What's in the box!

PAIN

You might find it hard to imagine, but I've asked the box question countless times in various circles, and only about one or two people EVER got this answer right... Usually it's "Schrödinger's Cat", though.

It's probably a bobcat.

edo

Postby edo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:58 am UTC

cmyk wrote:
edo wrote:The water level has definitely risen. Perhaps there will be some dialog about it.

(Now for something completely different) Time as an allegory for civilization - thoughts?

Being denizens of Plank Space, they experience time at its slowest possible measure: Planck Time. A second for us seem an eternity to them, being on the very precipice of oblivion; whatever lies beyond the singularity where time not only stops, it becomes meaningless.

They build sandcastles from the quanta of energy that resides in every Planck Unit. They can only move about in quantum leaps, the idea of a continuum being completely alien to their intellects, as their movement was to Zeno.

They sense there's more to reality than they can see or touch, reaching out into the anti-quanta they borrow their energy from to build, and must eventually pay for it with entropy, their only currency.

And yet, like us, they really like trebuchets.

Wow. Um, yeah. Um... Yeah.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

mewilliamson

Postby mewilliamson » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:00 am UTC

SinusPi wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
edo wrote:
Spoiler:

What's in the box!

PAIN

my immediate reaction is "I MUST KNOW!"
this is what happens when someone writes a play/monolog entitled 'Schrödinger's Cat in the Hat"

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:01 am UTC

Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:08 am UTC

What's poking out of the box?

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:12 am UTC

Discussion of "what's in the box" makes me think of the Alias episode (well, 2) 'The Box'.
You don't want me to open the box...

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:16 am UTC

Love these two frames.

ZombieLion

Postby ZombieLion » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:24 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
SinusPi wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
edo wrote:
Spoiler:

What's in the box!

PAIN

It's probably a bobcat.

Instead of PAIN package contained bobcat. Close enough.
blowfishhootie wrote:This community has created a situation in which asking someone if they want semen with their caffeinated drink actually makes sense.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:29 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:What's poking out of the box?

Actually, I'm starting to wonder if it actually is a box. It almost looks like a small scale model of the structure she's on now, with a smaller scale model, minus the crosswise board on top (so far), on top of that. I'll have to look at the frames when she was carrying it to see whether that's possible or not.

Added: All we can say for sure is that it has at least four edges. Can't really say for certain that it has six faces; we've only seen one (at a time). On the other hand, its having a bottom edge is somewhat unlike it should be if it were a scale model.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:00 am UTC

We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:17 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:
Forbidden 403 wrote:
kaley wrote:I think there should be a sand castle starting about here.

I believe you maybe right. Positive outlook about the comic now :D

Or an hourglass full of sand. To represent time.
Or a sand replica of the first panel, which will evolve into a sand replica of the sand replica panel, and so on...

I was looking at some of the earliest posts and I found this. Somebody predicted the scale model before the first sand castle was built. :shock:
EDIT: I also found the first poster with more than 100 posts to have joined the forum for the purpose of commenting on Time.
swey wrote:I have to say, I lurk here for all of Randall's high concept strips but this one actually made me register, and because everyone else is offering their take on it, here's mine: I think/hope this will be a 24 hour strip and that it'll repeat for those that may have missed it today.
Last edited by tman2nd on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

cout

Postby cout » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:29 am UTC

I wonder where black hat guy has been all this time.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:29 am UTC

I'm still watching, Waiting For It. Meanwhile, here's an updated water level analysis:

(Spoiler: level up to newpix 647 is displayed)
Spoiler:
Last edited by Kieryn on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

elementropy

Postby elementropy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:36 am UTC

So: a thought about the "hourglass" theory. What if the "river" refers to the stream coming from the top chamber, and the "sea" is, in fact the level of sand in the bottom? This of course ignores the concept that an hourglass tends to create a rising cone-shaped pile of sand in the bottom chamber as the chamber fills, but then again, maybe our characters have affected some sort of engineering to keep it flowing around their area of habitation.

I also wonder if Megan is about to start constructing on a heretofore invisible ceiling, one which will be right-side up when the "glass" is turned. (i.e. a one-chambered hourglass-like system that defies rational physics in favour of the abstract, a la Lewis Carroll or M.C. Escher)
- quoth Elementropy, Time Bandit, TimeWaiter Liturgist, Oxford Comma, and
A Greek Omelette with Fries and Tomato Juice, Hold-the-toast-please in the Order of Breakfast

Tempus fugit quasi sagita; muscas fructibus arieram volunt...

BlitzGirl: welcome to the future!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:37 am UTC

cout wrote:I wonder where black hat guy has been all this time.

He's out of Time.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:38 am UTC

elementropy wrote:I also wonder if Megan is about to start constructing on a heretofore invisible ceiling, one which will be right-side up when the "glass" is turned. (i.e. a one-chambered hourglass-like system that defies rational physics in favour of the abstract, a la Lewis Carroll or M.C. Escher)

I find myself trying to imagine a shape that would fit the description "Klein hourglass".
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

undragonslayer7

Postby undragonslayer7 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:39 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
tman2nd wrote:What's poking out of the box?

Actually, I'm starting to wonder if it actually is a box. It almost looks like a small scale model of the structure she's on now, with a smaller scale model, minus the crosswise board on top (so far), on top of that. I'll have to look at the frames when she was carrying it to see whether that's possible or not.

Added: All we can say for sure is that it has at least four edges. Can't really say for certain that it has six faces; we've only seen one (at a time). On the other hand, its having a bottom edge is somewhat unlike it should be if it were a scale model.

There is little evidence to suggest that Time even has a third spatial dimension. In fact when Megan coughed out the liquid it must have been because a two dimensional creature can not have a complete digestive track, so she had to cough it back up to get rid of it.

vvn

Postby vvn » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:41 am UTC

Progress of Time is clearly linear. Progress of outside may vary.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:52 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
elementropy wrote:I also wonder if Megan is about to start constructing on a heretofore invisible ceiling, one which will be right-side up when the "glass" is turned. (i.e. a one-chambered hourglass-like system that defies rational physics in favour of the abstract, a la Lewis Carroll or M.C. Escher)

I find myself trying to imagine a shape that would fit the description "Klein hourglass".

Tried sketching out what I was thinking, but it's too structurally impossble to represent on 2 dimensions. Here's what I got

Try to imagine it as if there wasn't that big loopy part, and the bottom of one side bottlenecked directly to the top of the other.

Edit: In retrospect, this isn't really related to the klein bottle concept at all, it's just a weirdly distorted hourglass. Ah well, it's a fun idea anyway.

imagineddragon

Postby imagineddragon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:58 am UTC

For the first time in a long time I forgot to check for the new comic. Randall is now competing with himself for my attention.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:01 am UTC

Not sure she should be standing on that.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:02 am UTC

imagineddragon wrote:For the first time in a long time I forgot to check for the new comic. Randall is now competing with himself for my attention.

Oh! That's right! It's Monday, so a new comic's up!

imagineddragon

Postby imagineddragon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:07 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
imagineddragon wrote:For the first time in a long time I forgot to check for the new comic. Randall is now competing with himself for my attention.

ikr. The upside is I finally get my wish of an xkcd fix everyday.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:11 am UTC

imagineddragon wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

ikr. The upside is I finally get my wish of an xkcd fix 24 times everyday.

FTFY
EDIT: FIFY ==> FTFY. I guess I FTFM. :P
Last edited by tman2nd on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:49 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:13 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:

Damn, I was considering pointing that out last night, but figured it shouldn't really be necessary. I'll reconsider that in the future, e.g. Tuesday night.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:15 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:
imagineddragon wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

ikr. The upside is I finally get my wish of an xkcd fix 24.4286 times everyday.

FIFY

FTFY
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”