1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ChronosDragon

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:39 am UTC

I got thinking about weirdly shaped hourglasses, and I thought about how the comic so far is 2D. A 2D hourglass looping on itself in 3D space is easy to visualize:

Gif'd:

In this model it becomes clear that if this were the case in the comic, there would be a constant rain of sand (which there isn't - or is there?)
A 3D hourglass looping on itself in 4D space would be a bit trickier to render, but it would be just about the same principle. To say nothing of a klein hourglass, which is difficult to even imagine much less make a renderable object out of...
Last edited by ChronosDragon on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:47 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
tman2nd wrote:
imagineddragon wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
imagineddragon wrote:For the first time in a long time I forgot to check for the new comic. Randall is now competing with himself for my attention.

Oh! That's right! It's Monday, so a new comic's up!

ikr. The upside is I finally get my wish of an xkcd fix 24.4286 times everyday.

FIFY

FTFY

Why .4286?
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:49 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:Image
Love these two frames.

Do the same thing with frames 392 and 393. Then tell me just what cueball is doing? It looks like he's building up energy to continue building.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:57 am UTC

Davidy wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Image
Love these two frames.

Do the same thing with frames 392 and 393. Then tell me just what cueball is doing? It looks like he's building up energy to continue building.

That's What I do when I need energy. You don't?
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

vvn

Postby vvn » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:00 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:What's poking out of the box?

Seems to be a toolbox to me. (Boring I know.)
But, what was sitting on it earlier. There was some stuff (455) that vanished (456).

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:00 am UTC

P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

htom

Postby htom » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:03 am UTC

it's a tiny sandcastle (with a tiny-tiny sandcastle) and now they're going to build the other sandcastles higher (moving them back from the sea and up.)
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:09 am UTC

lookdown.png

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:36 am UTC

Wnderer wrote:
lookdown.png

Excellent.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:43 am UTC

elementropy wrote:So: a thought about the "hourglass" theory. What if the "river" refers to the stream coming from the top chamber, and the "sea" is, in fact the level of sand in the bottom? This of course ignores the concept that an hourglass tends to create a rising cone-shaped pile of sand in the bottom chamber as the chamber fills, but then again, maybe our characters have affected some sort of engineering to keep it flowing around their area of habitation.

I also wonder if Megan is about to start constructing on a heretofore invisible ceiling, one which will be right-side up when the "glass" is turned. (i.e. a one-chambered hourglass-like system that defies rational physics in favour of the abstract, a la Lewis Carroll or M.C. Escher)

The level of confirmation bias in this thread is astonishing. Are some of you perhaps policemen/women? An hour glass has a vortex at one end and a conical hill at the other THE ONE COMIC IS ALMOST AS FAR AS IT IS POSSIBLE TO BE FROM HAVING A VORTEX AND A CONICAL HILL.

Point 2 (to avoid the newly discovered crime of double posting (new to me, that is)) the box is a tool box containing the bolts she is using to fasten the horizontal to the verticals.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:00 am UTC

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:00 am UTC

Exodies wrote:Point 2 (to avoid the newly discovered crime of double posting (new to me, that is)) the box is a tool box containing the bolts she is using to fasten the horizontal to the verticals.

I thought she was using the rope to fasten them together.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:02 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
elementropy wrote:So: a thought about the "hourglass" theory. What if the "river" refers to the stream coming from the top chamber, and the "sea" is, in fact the level of sand in the bottom? This of course ignores the concept that an hourglass tends to create a rising cone-shaped pile of sand in the bottom chamber as the chamber fills, but then again, maybe our characters have affected some sort of engineering to keep it flowing around their area of habitation.

I also wonder if Megan is about to start constructing on a heretofore invisible ceiling, one which will be right-side up when the "glass" is turned. (i.e. a one-chambered hourglass-like system that defies rational physics in favour of the abstract, a la Lewis Carroll or M.C. Escher)

The level of confirmation bias in this thread is astonishing. Are some of you perhaps policemen/women? An hour glass has a vortex at one end and a conical hill at the other THE ONE COMIC IS ALMOST AS FAR AS IT IS POSSIBLE TO BE FROM HAVING A VORTEX AND A CONICAL HILL.

Sure, but is this idea specially absurd, by the standards of this thread? It's here, after all, that the semencoffeecancerbaby was spawned.

I grant you, there's a difference between a falsifiable and a completely absurd theory (I'll grant in particular that the "beach" is not very like either half of an hourglass).

But the most important question hereabouts is whether any particular theory is crazy enough to be true.

(By the way, NO NEED TO SHOUT. We can read you just fine).
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:07 am UTC

Time is an essay on the futility of essays on futility.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:10 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
Exodies wrote:Point 2 (to avoid the newly discovered crime of double posting (new to me, that is)) the box is a tool box containing the bolts she is using to fasten the horizontal to the verticals.

I thought she was using the rope to fasten them together.

Neigh lad, the rope was used to hoist the crosspiece to the top.

beargarden
Cardinal

Postby beargarden » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:22 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:I got thinking about weirdly shaped hourglasses, and I thought about how the comic so far is 2D. A 2D hourglass looping on itself in 3D space is easy to visualize:

Gif'd:

In this model it becomes clear that if this were the case in the comic, there would be a constant rain of sand (which there isn't - or is there?)
A 3D hourglass looping on itself in 4D space would be a bit trickier to render, but it would be just about the same principle. To say nothing of a klein hourglass, which is difficult to even imagine much less make a renderable object out of...

But is spinning towards us or away from us? I must know!

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:33 am UTC

beargarden wrote:But is spinning towards us or away from us? I must know!
I thought I knew, until you asked.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

AUS

Postby AUS » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:49 am UTC

That's not how spinning works. It's spinning facing us, meaning it spins toward us and then continuing the same direction it spins away from us.

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:50 am UTC

partingLance wrote:semencoffeecancerbaby

I'm a late arrival (started lurking in the last few days of the Madness). WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:55 am UTC

Actaeus wrote:
partingLance wrote:semencoffeecancerbaby

I'm a late arrival (started lurking in the last few days of the Madness). WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?

It's a universal panacea for the mysteries of life

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:57 am UTC

Actaeus wrote:
partingLance wrote:semëncöffeëcancërbabië

Semëncöffeëcancërbabiës be hwæt makës thë Kingdoï änd be hwæt rïses ön thë rïght.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:59 am UTC

Elmach wrote:
Actaeus wrote:

Semëncöffeëcancërbabiës be hwæt makës thë Kingdoï änd be hwæt rïses ön thë rïght.
Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Chulhu!

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:59 am UTC

AUS wrote:

That's not how spinning works. It's spinning facing us, meaning it spins toward us and then continuing the same direction it spins away from us.

To put it properly, using the right-hand rule, its axis points to the left.

Added:
Exit, stage left.
Last edited by KarMann on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:00 am UTC

beargarden wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:I got thinking about weirdly shaped hourglasses, and I thought about how the comic so far is 2D. A 2D hourglass looping on itself in 3D space is easy to visualize:

Gif'd:

But is spinning towards us or away from us? I must know!

Yes

Also,

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:01 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Elmach wrote:
Actaeus wrote:

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!
Ïa Üm'laütës! Ïa Rekonïŋ!

beargarden
Cardinal

Postby beargarden » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:06 am UTC

AUS wrote:

Sorry, to clarify, is it spinning towards us from the top, or towards us from the bottom?
I forget sometimes that ambiguity has no place in the xkcd forums. Someone will always pick you up on it :P

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:09 am UTC

Wnderer wrote:
lookdown.png

Wanna play Shift?? :roll:
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:09 am UTC

beargarden wrote:
AUS wrote:

Sorry, to clarify, is it spinning towards us from the top, or towards us from the bottom?
I forget sometimes that ambiguity has no place in the xkcd forums. Someone will always pick you up on it :P

If it were placed on a horizontal surface, with gravity being vertical, it would be rolling towards the viewer.

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:10 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:I'm still watching, Waiting For It. Meanwhile, here's an updated water level analysis:

Oh thanks a lot, I just came here to see if you updated it :mrgreen:
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:12 am UTC

beargarden wrote:
AUS wrote:

I...err...towards us from the bottom. I think. Which would contradict the "rolling towards us" thing, I believe.

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:14 am UTC

Elmach wrote:
beargarden wrote:
AUS wrote:

If it were placed on a horizontal surface, with gravity being vertical, it would be rolling towards the viewer.

I disagree! The part in front is slightly enlarged from parallax. It's rolling away. (Which makes more sense -- it's scrolling to continually reveal the path of the falling sand.)

ChronosDragon wrote:I...err...towards us from the bottom. I think. Which would contradict the "rolling towards us" thing, I believe.

Hyah! Vindicated 8-)

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:21 am UTC

Actaeus wrote:
Elmach wrote:
beargarden wrote:
AUS wrote:

I disagree! The part in front is slightly enlarged from parallax. It's rolling away. (Which makes more sense -- it's scrolling to continually reveal the path of the falling sand.)

ChronosDragon wrote:I...err...towards us from the bottom. I think. Which would contradict the "rolling towards us" thing, I believe.

Hyah! Vindicated 8-)

???
Placed beneath a flat horizontal surface, with vertical gravity, the bottom side approaching means the tube roles towards us.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:22 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
beargarden wrote:
AUS wrote:

I...err...towards us from the bottom. I think. Which would contradict the "rolling towards us" thing, I believe.

If you look at it right, it can look like it's rolling the other way.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:22 am UTC

I've caught up to page 120!

KuwabatakeSanjuro wrote:The creepiest part is seeing this in Lucia's signature before getting caught up to the actual post. Or was the statement repeated? It's like seeing glimpses into the future.

I know! Right?

Yes, catching up to the context of some of these quotes has been fantastic. I specially liked patzer's

TheMulattoMaker wrote:Wow...

...when I stumbled out of bed this morning, I had no idea I'd accidently a meme, let alone inadvertently a religion. :shock:

As I was reading that before even finding out about the comic itself. So it was awesome finding the source of the quote, and its context, in real time :)

That's something only someone that reads everything can appreciate. So, to all the people that skipped pages in order to catch up: Shame, shame on you! A wiki page has been advertized that gives a "summary" of all the pages in the thread, I'll really doubt it's the same experience, though I'll probably never know, since I'll read the wiki after catching up with the thread, and it's still outpacing me by a significant factor.

Feel free to leave me a time capsule by replying to this message, I'll read it once I catch up with page 274 ("current page") which should be about 2 weeks from now (which would make the "current page"... I don't know which one, let me check...)

TRIPLE NINJA'ED: Wow! And to think I won't read these three messages until a much later time! This is a new way of interacting with forums for me.
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:27 am UTC

Elmach wrote:
Actaeus wrote:
Elmach wrote:
beargarden wrote:
AUS wrote:

Hyah! Vindicated 8-)

???
Placed beneath a flat horizontal surface, with vertical gravity, the bottom side approaching means the tube roles towards us.

Sneaky bastid.

Actually, I'm changing my response to "it is a superposition of forward-rolling and backward-rolling cylinders", which better reflects the odd experience of watching it. ChronosDragon can't veto this interpretation, because Death of the Author.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:31 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
beargarden wrote:
AUS wrote:

Not really. Unlike The One True Comic, when a dark line overlaps another, there's definitely a white border that reveals which one is closer to the viewer. As I said, the axis points left, not right. That's nice & unambiguous.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:39 am UTC

What's Cueball doing? He hasn't done very much in the last few frames, perhaps because he had to take a dump?

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:40 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
tman2nd wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
beargarden wrote:
AUS wrote:

Not really. Unlike The One True Comic, when a dark line overlaps another, there's definitely a white border that reveals which one is closer to the viewer. As I said, the axis points left, not right. That's nice & unambiguous.

That's because I was clumsy with texture alpha masks. If I still had the source file (photoshop crashed after rendering the gif >:|) I'd go back and "fix" that to make it more ambiguous, heh.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:45 am UTC

Vytron wrote:I've caught up to page 120!

KuwabatakeSanjuro wrote:The creepiest part is seeing this in Lucia's signature before getting caught up to the actual post. Or was the statement repeated? It's like seeing glimpses into the future.

I know! Right?

Yes, catching up to the context of some of these quotes has been fantastic. I specially liked patzer's

TheMulattoMaker wrote:Wow...

...when I stumbled out of bed this morning, I had no idea I'd accidently a meme, let alone inadvertently a religion. :shock:

As I was reading that before even finding out about the comic itself. So it was awesome finding the source of the quote, and its context, in real time :)

That's something only someone that reads everything can appreciate. So, to all the people that skipped pages in order to catch up: Shame, shame on you! A wiki page has been advertized that gives a "summary" of all the pages in the thread, I'll really doubt it's the same experience, though I'll probably never know, since I'll read the wiki after catching up with the thread, and it's still outpacing me by a significant factor.

Feel free to leave me a time capsule by replying to this message, I'll read it once I catch up with page 274 ("current page") which should be about 2 weeks from now (which would make the "current page"... I don't know which one, let me check...)

TRIPLE NINJA'ED: Wow! And to think I won't read these three messages until a much later time! This is a new way of interacting with forums for me.

I plan on reading the parts I missed when activity has died down alot

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

descor

Postby descor » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:59 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:I plan on reading the parts I missed when activity has died down alot

Do you really think that will happen?
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”