1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

XonqNopp

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby XonqNopp » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:31 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:Hum. By the way. This four vertical strokes don't have to be poles, after all.
In fact, there's reason (however small) to contest this assumption: We saw in frame 466 that the horizontally mounted parts do have a significant z dimension (let's call them "boards"). Which would not be a construction as stable as expected (at least, from Megan).

Er... The best way to put your coordinate frame is to put z along the vertical dimension... Thus I think you mean that they may have a significant y dimension...

However, I rather think they arepoles, since we saw her bring something that might be concrete to help the pole stand vertical (newpix 432 and 443)...
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:31 am UTC

SBN wrote:Edit: Do we need to change our acronym? Lurked, Posted, Waited. Am I Insane? Still Paradoxically Patient.

Hmm. Indeed, as I have a previous version in my sig.

It crossed my mind that signatures could be considered a form of time travel; at least in the view of those such as Blitzgirl and Vytron (who already touched upon this) and those others still on the quest to catch up on the thread. They get fascinating glimpses of the future as-it-is-to-them when they read our old posts but see the new sigs...

We could even send them messages... crumbs...

"Beware The Poles" !
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:46 am UTC

RobIrr wrote:
SBN wrote:Edit: Do we need to change our acronym? Lurked, Posted, Waited. Am I Insane? Still Paradoxically Patient.

It crossed my mind that signatures could be considered a form of time travel; at least in the view of those such as Blitzgirl and Vytron (who already touched upon this) and those others still on the quest to catch up on the thread. They get fascinating glimpses of the future as-it-is-to-them when they read our old posts but see the new sigs...

"Beware The Poles" !

"Bad Wolf"?
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

kryton

Postby kryton » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:49 am UTC

RobIrr wrote:

"Beware The Poles" !

Neat idea.
1298 and counting

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:49 am UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:But Megans was definitely a dialogue, while Cueballs was a monologue.

You seem to be under the common misconception that a dialogue requires two people. "Dialogue" is any speech at all, no matter how many people are involved.
Discord for Forum Games posters
---
avatar from an image drawn for me by Nicole Fu
---
adopted by emlightened

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:58 am UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:Further adding weight to the hypothesis that Cueball is an idiot.

Further adding weight to the hypothesis that it's semen. Or sea-men, since they called it the sea. Maybe it's the kind of sea that results when it's raining men.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Grimgar

Postby Grimgar » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:58 am UTC

flicky1991 wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:But Megans was definitely a dialogue, while Cueballs was a monologue.

You seem to be under the common misconception that a dialogue requires two people. "Dialogue" is any speech at all, no matter how many people are involved.

Dialogue is a (...) conversational exchange between two or more ("dia" means through or across) people.

Emphasis added. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialogue

Edit: I'm a ninja!
Last edited by Grimgar on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:05 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:59 am UTC

flicky1991 wrote:

At least two, though. (See definition.) Therefore, a monologue is not a dialogue.

Edit: Ninja'd.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:02 pm UTC

RobIrr wrote:

"Beware The Poles" !

Hmm... What if we added one of their time capsule messages to our sigs? Would that technically be them looking into their own future, or their past?

And on that note, what if we quoted them on something they might eventually say? They might have to say it eventually just to fulfill the prophecy (assuming that's what it even is).
KarMann wrote:
macraw83 wrote:
KarMann wrote:
macraw83 wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
mscha wrote:Looks like Cueball is trying to understand what the sea is doing...
Of course, the sea won't do anything while he's watching, but as soon as he turns his back, the level will rise.

Newpix: http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/94547a ... af4d0d.png

First appear of non-dialogue text, aye? Anyway - Looks like we are not at salty waters.
Or at least at brackish waters. The .. ehr.. rich taste of the oceans is not to be consumed lightely. Even Cueball should know.

You're forgetting the part where Megan got some in her mouth and was coughing and hacking, I don't know what number it was.

Frame 175. Questionable whether that counts as "not-dialogue", since it was still orally-produced sound, just non-verbal. "Pffthh *cough*", to be precise.

The "sip" sound was made by the mouth :P

Don't mind me, I am currently very coma deprived...

What's your name again? That's with an 'r'? OK, got it.
(adds macraw83 to the list for the Inquisition)

Whatever did I do wrong?

Please don't bring out the comfy chair, anything but that...
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:03 pm UTC

astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:04 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:

It is as common a misconception as common it could be, even the wikipedia adds to it.

If you use the word "dialogue" for communication and the meaning of your message is received correctly, there is no misconception.
The term "running amok" changed its meaning in the last decade. Its meaning is now as right or wrong as 10 years ago - you may transport your thought to other people and as long as this is going to work, all will be fine.

Personally, I dislike the change of meanings. Books tend to become a problem for younger readers, as the thoughts the author had had at the time of writing are now ill-represented. But asynchronous communication is not under discussion. Yet.

(Double Ninja'd. Shinobi everywhere!)
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:12 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:

It is as common a misconception as common it could be, even the wikipedia adds to it.

If you use the word "dialogue" for communication and the meaning of your message is received correctly, there is no misconception.
The term "running amok" changed its meaning in the last decade. Its meaning is now as right or wrong as 10 years ago - you may transport your thought to other people and as long as this is going to work, all will be fine.

Personally, I dislike the change of meanings. Books tend to become a problem for younger readers, as the thoughts the author had had at the time of writing are now ill-represented. But asynchronous communication is not under discussion. Yet.

What are you trying to say?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:12 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:

What does "running amok" mean now?
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

kryton

Postby kryton » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:15 pm UTC

Having a "Bleach" moment with the pics...
the left uprights with lintel, the right uprights just poles...
reminds me of the episode where Rukia was to be executed, she was raised to the top of a large pair of uprights with a lintel (the gallows), and in front of her on a single pole was the Sōkyoku that was about to change into a flaming bird, Kikōō, and execute her....
1298 and counting

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:17 pm UTC

Grimgar wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:

Dialogue is a (...) conversational exchange between two or more ("dia" means through or across) people.

Emphasis added. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialogue

Edit: I'm a ninja!

"Dialog" is a pretty common term in comics if I'm not mistaken, in this case couldn't it mean dialog from the Randall to the Time Waiters?

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:27 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:

At least two, though. (See definition.) Therefore, a monologue is not a dialogue.

Ah, I'm more familiar with definition two from here: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dialogue, i.e. lines in a fictional work no matter how many people are involved. If we were talking about real life, then I see it would have to be two or more people, whereas what was being discussed was the dialogue of the strip in the sense I was thinking of.
Discord for Forum Games posters
---
avatar from an image drawn for me by Nicole Fu
---
adopted by emlightened

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:28 pm UTC

˙˙sǝʌıb ʇɐɥʍ ¿uʍopǝpısdn buıdʎʇ sı ǝuoʎɹǝʌǝ ʍou puɐ 'xıdʍǝu ɟo ןnɟpuɐɥ ɐ ɹoɟ ʎɐʍɐ ob ı
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:35 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
Mikeski wrote:Hourglasses don't usually contain water, tides, trebuchets, poles, or rope.

(Or people, who would likely not survive the first turning of said hourglass).

Maybe they'd end up stuck in the neck in the top half of the hourglass, smooching. Because that's when you do when your life's been flip-turned upside down

Obviously not.
when your life has been flip-turned upside down, you tell us all a story, we sit right there, and then, you tell us all about how you became the prince of a town called bel-air...

and eventualy...http://xkcd.com/1059/
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:50 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:What does "running amok" mean now?

Many years ago, planned deeds, however violent and bloody, where not associated with the term "running amok".

For Europe, this has changed --
-- at least in part. The English wikipedia does not reflect that expressis verbis - maybe the English press did not pick up every continental fashion and both them and the U.S. papers can help thelmselves with equally strong words like "killing spree" (which would insinuate a reason for the change I do not want to right here and now).

I am no native English speaker, other European voices rising would be appreciated.

Maybe I should not have tried to answer the question.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:55 pm UTC

Cueball, thou shalt not sip from the Timestream.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

histrion

Postby histrion » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:55 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:Will this be the first full length feature film which has been analysed frame by frame?

Depends - are we counting the fictional film professor in The Freshman who was obsessed with The Godfather?
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

Definitely dialogue :-)
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

edo

Postby edo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:04 pm UTC

Flado wrote:
azule wrote:When did we get a Western Paradox Church? I want to be an unmember too.

I declared myself Patriarch when no-one was looking, as it was my first post and thus stuck in moderation for a page or two. After that, I had precedent on my side :-) A cunning trick, you see?
Well you aren't partially unwelcome. We should have a Messiah by now. Or two of them. Must catch up.

Based on your honesty regarding your sneakyness, you are truly a prophet/profit of tthe paradox.

I'm joining your religion - would you cannonize me a Revered Apostate?.

I nominate Megan and Cueball as messiahs
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

edo wrote:
Flado wrote:
azule wrote:When did we get a Western Paradox Church? I want to be an unmember too.

I declared myself Patriarch when no-one was looking, as it was my first post and thus stuck in moderation for a page or two. After that, I had precedent on my side :-) A cunning trick, you see?
Well you aren't partially unwelcome. We should have a Messiah by now. Or two of them. Must catch up.

Based on your honesty regarding your sneakyness, you are truly a prophet/profit of tthe paradox.

I'm joining your religion - would you cannonize me a Revered Apostate?.

I nominate Megan and Cueball as messiahs

You only get cannonized if you wear a helmet and shin gaurds. safety first.
“have i gone mad?

histrion

Postby histrion » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:06 pm UTC

RobIrr wrote:Image

I'm imagining someone who came across "Time" for the first, er, time at this frame, and read the alt-text, without realizing it was a single frame in a continually updating story.

I'm trying to imagine how they'd interpret this comic. "Is this some sort of comment on the futility of feudalism?"
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:06 pm UTC

azule wrote:100th Post within Time Thread!!!

Maybe less celebratory and more pathetic this time. lol

Flado wrote:Heresy, I know. But I am the Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church, so it is somehow expected of me. And not.

When did we get a Western Paradox Church? I want to be an unmember too.

I'd like to apply also, my principal qualification being that I made (I think) the first Sound of All You Thundering Zombies references on this thread. And not, of course.

EDIT: And Groucho reference too, now that I recall. You say you won't have me as a member? Perfect! Where do I sign?
Last edited by partingLance on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
Exodies wrote:Will this be the first full length feature film which has been analysed frame by frame?

Depends - are we counting the fictional film professor in The Freshman who was obsessed with The Godfather?

No, because it didn't happen. This is happening, now, in frametime, as we msg.

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

He is clearly referring to his relationship with Megan...
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:17 pm UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:

He is clearly referring to his relationship with Megan...

He's obviously telling us he has cancer. and babies. and no semen.
“have i gone mad?

kryton

Postby kryton » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:20 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:

Flado wrote:Heresy, I know. But I am the Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church, so it is somehow expected of me. And not.

I'd like to apply also, my principal qualification being that I made (I think) the first Sound of All You Thundering Zombies references on this thread. And not, of course.

The Western Paradox Church hasn't been added to the holy book of churchyness charters, http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/XKCD_Time_Wiki
so it can't really exist just the way a bowl of petunias won't.
1298 and counting

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

kryton wrote:
partingLance wrote:

The Western Paradox Church hasn't been added to the holy book of churchyness charters, http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/XKCD_Time_Wiki

That's part of the paradox. it can't exist, yet it does.

also, since they haven't broken any of their own rules yet, all they are really eligible for from the inquisition is a merange pie to the face. however, they have informed me that I can't know their position and speed at the same time, making it really difficult to aim.
Last edited by Dracomax on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
“have i gone mad?

histrion

Postby histrion » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
histrion wrote:

How do you know? Paul Benedict strikes me as a method actor.*

*Former, anyway - he's dead now, so at the very least his method has changed drastically.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:26 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
Exodies wrote:
histrion wrote:

*Former, anyway - he's dead now, so at the very least his method has changed drastically.

that just means he only plays stiffs now.
“have i gone mad?

histrion

Postby histrion » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:41 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
histrion wrote:
Exodies wrote:
histrion wrote:

"Stiff" describes the film professor pretty well, too.

veryslightlygeeky

Postby veryslightlygeeky » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

These last few frames make me suspect that Randall The Lord of Time is aware of this thread.
Given that, a couple of possibilites come to mind.

- He is a bit mean, given that he made Cueball taste the Fluid. Or, more likely:

- He, as Cueball, is expressing distaste at the description of the Fluid in the thread. From comic 1176 we know that he doesn't like hurtful gossipy conversation; he might feel the same way about (um...) yucky stuff.

I hate to think what Cueball has tasted worse. Jellied Eels? :? Cytotoxics? :(

I reckon that Megan simply got some sand in her mouth, but I have a rather simple take on these matters.

Anyway, I am so glad that we are not over-analysing this strip. :)

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:47 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
histrion wrote:
Exodies wrote:
histrion wrote:

Ha hahaha
Could you go easy on the facts - every fact you record in the forum has to be checked by BlitzGirl, the Official Reader. Every youtube link watched, every gif studied, every arcane linguistic obsessive page ingested, every analogous TV series couch-potatoed through, all maths formulas tested on Mathematica, syntax diagrams of ancient programming languages analysed, ...

She is reading it properly isn't she?

kryton

Postby kryton » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

veryslightlygeeky wrote:I hate to think what Cueball has tasted worse. Jellied Eels? :? Cytotoxics? :(

Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans - 'nuff said
1298 and counting

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

veryslightlygeeky wrote:These last few frames make me suspect that Randall The Lord of Time is aware of this thread.

- He is a bit mean, given that he made Cueball taste the Fluid. Or, more likely:

- He, as Cueball, is expressing distaste at the description of the Fluid in the thread. From comic 1176 we know that he doesn't like hurtful gossipy conversation; he might feel the same way about (um...) yucky stuff.

I reckon that Megan simply got some sand in her mouth, but I have a rather simple take on these matters.

Of course not. the semencancerbaby religious stuff is all pretty explicit in the comic.
“have i gone mad?

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

veryslightlygeeky wrote:These last few frames make me suspect that Randall The Lord of Time is aware of this thread.

Would people think "sand in my mouth" when they get a gob full of "sea water"? Although there would be some sand, it's pretty tasteless compared to the brine.

kryton

Postby kryton » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:58 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
kryton wrote:
partingLance wrote:

That's part of the paradox. it can't exist, yet it does.

also, since they haven't broken any of their own rules yet, all they are really eligible for from the inquisition is a merange pie to the face. however, they have informed me that I can't know their position and speed at the same time, making it really difficult to aim.

hmm, since the Heisenberg radius of a western paradoxite is much smaller that the radius of a merange pie, I'd say you could just hang it in mid air and one will eventually collide with it on their own...
1298 and counting

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”