1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

udscbt
Cardinal

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby udscbt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:36 pm UTC

veryslightlygeeky wrote:These last few frames make me suspect that Randall The Lord of Time is aware of this thread.

This reminded me that a couple of days ago I dreamed Lord Randall (in the IRC channel they said it's normal as long as I don't dream to BE Randall, so stop looking at me like that) and He said that He doesn't read the forum. However, He didn't say He didn't have some informers.

dreiarmumig wrote:Or maybe the updates stop once everything that can be said will have said in this thread. For example, several people have suggested that the update frequency might be related to the forum posts :wink:

I don't think that will happen soon

New theory! The box is actually a pressure cooker and they want to synthetize dioxygen difluoride, they built the platform to avoid the explosion (I'm not sure if that will work).
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:36 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Also, being this close to a monolith does some weird things to spacetime.

"Monoliiiiiiiiiith... Monoliiiiiiiiiith... Monoliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiith!"

Uh, that's more like a moanalith...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
histrion wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Also, being this close to a monolith does some weird things to spacetime.

What I want to know is, does it count as a dialith, or is that only if there are two involved and/or they're made of dilithium?
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

SBN wrote:Image

Not just coffee...

Edit: Do we need to change our acronym? Lurked, Posted, Waited. Am I Insane? Still Paradoxically Patient.

Yup.

Just going on record here, there's crude oil in the semen water.

Further aligning with my 1190 + 1191 BHG hypothesis, thankyouverymuch.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:49 pm UTC

XonqNopp wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:Hum. By the way. This four vertical strokes don't have to be poles, after all.
In fact, there's reason (however small) to contest this assumption: We saw in frame 466 that the horizontally mounted parts do have a significant z dimension (let's call them "boards"). Which would not be a construction as stable as expected (at least, from Megan).

Er... The best way to put your coordinate frame is to put z along the vertical dimension... Thus I think you mean that they may have a significant y dimension...

However, I rather think they arepoles, since we saw her bring something that might be concrete to help the pole stand vertical (newpix 432 and 443)...

Not following the standard convention of Cartesian coordinates. At the origin, the x-axis is horizontal, and the y-axis is vertical. Extrude this into 3-dimensions, the z-axis would be depth.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:50 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
histrion wrote:

What I want to know is, does it count as a dialith, or is that only if there are two involved and/or they're made of dilithium?

I think if two are involved it's a bialith. Or maybe that's when you purchase a lithograph -- you buy a lith.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

syrinxsean

Water level

Postby syrinxsean » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

Anyone else notice that the water level is slowly creeping higher? When run at high speed, the progression of the images shows that the water level has only increased, never decreased.

(Sorry if someone else noticed this. I can't keep up with hundreds of pages of comments!)

mscha

Re: Water level

Postby mscha » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:55 pm UTC

syrinxsean wrote:Anyone else notice that the water level is slowly creeping higher? When run at high speed, the progression of the images shows that the water level has only increased, never decreased.

(Sorry if someone else noticed this. I can't keep up with hundreds of pages of comments!)

Nope. You are definitely the first person to notice this.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:56 pm UTC

syrinxsean wrote:Anyone else notice that the water level is slowly creeping higher? When run at high speed, the progression of the images shows that the water level has only increased, never decreased.

I think it might have been mentioned. Along with charts, graphs, and pixel-highlighting graphics, not to mention vast quantities of debate, discussion, and over-analysis.

EDIT: Pre-posted by a sneaky black-comfy-pajama wearer with an affinity for sharp pointy stars of death...
Last edited by StratPlayer on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:57 pm UTC

edo wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
SBN wrote:
Flado wrote:
edo wrote:I'm joining your religion - would you cannonize me a Revered Apostate?.

I'm afraid we abhor shooting people with cannons, especially those not wearing pointed helmets. We also have no cannons left.
So, welcome, and can find someone to revere you. And abhor.

Was the request to be shot with a cannon, or from a cannon?

Either way, helmet an kneepads.

I've got my helmet on. To bad we're out of cannons. Perhaps a Holy Trébuchet? (then I would be Trébuchetized, I guess)

I wouldn't let BuffyGirl know you've been designing hats. Take my advice friend, get a new avatar.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:57 pm UTC

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Xkcd

FIXED IT! :mrgreen:

Have fun proving The Theory. And please let me know if anything doesn't work. I'll fix that too.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

SBN wrote:But the response specified with, so I thought I'd request clarification.

Sorry about that - English as a foreign language - and anyway, we abhor either and revere both.
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

Unrelated: where is the Pope? It's been a while since the last time /s?he|it/ appeared.
Last edited by udscbt on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:Image

Unrelated: where is the Pope?

I think Cueball's off to find His Holiness.
Last edited by Flotter on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Eshru

Postby Eshru » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:This needs to be watched while some dubstep is blasting in the background.
Actually, here is an idea, someone set the whole thing to dubstep and have the frames change with the beat.

Looks like some frames of nobody approach. Maybe another zoom out? Lol

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:07 pm UTC

Eshru wrote:
cmyk wrote:This needs to be watched while some dubstep is blasting in the background.
Actually, here is an idea, someone set the whole thing to dubstep and have the frames change with the beat.

I just have the system is down stuck in my head while watching.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

edo

Postby edo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:12 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
edo wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
SBN wrote:
Flado wrote:
edo wrote:I'm joining your religion - would you cannonize me a Revered Apostate?.

I'm afraid we abhor shooting people with cannons, especially those not wearing pointed helmets. We also have no cannons left.
So, welcome, and can find someone to revere you. And abhor.

Was the request to be shot with a cannon, or from a cannon?

Either way, helmet an kneepads.

I've got my helmet on. To bad we're out of cannons. Perhaps a Holy Trébuchet? (then I would be Trébuchetized, I guess)

I wouldn't let BuffyGirl know you've been designing hats. Take my advice friend, get a new avatar.

It's not a hat, it's a helmet.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

imagineddragon

Postby imagineddragon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
elementropy wrote:So: a thought about the "hourglass" theory. What if the "river" refers to the stream coming from the top chamber, and the "sea" is, in fact the level of sand in the bottom? This of course ignores the concept that an hourglass tends to create a rising cone-shaped pile of sand in the bottom chamber as the chamber fills, but then again, maybe our characters have affected some sort of engineering to keep it flowing around their area of habitation.

I also wonder if Megan is about to start constructing on a heretofore invisible ceiling, one which will be right-side up when the "glass" is turned. (i.e. a one-chambered hourglass-like system that defies rational physics in favour of the abstract, a la Lewis Carroll or M.C. Escher)

The level of confirmation bias in this thread is astonishing. Are some of you perhaps policemen/women? An hour glass has a vortex at one end and a conical hill at the other THE ONE COMIC IS ALMOST AS FAR AS IT IS POSSIBLE TO BE FROM HAVING A VORTEX AND A CONICAL HILL.

Point 2 (to avoid the newly discovered crime of double posting (new to me, that is)) the box is a tool box containing the bolts she is using to fasten the horizontal to the verticals.

It could be an infinitely large hourglass and the slope could be so gradual as to be unnoticeable. The vortex could be as small as to only allow one grain of sand (corresponding to 1NP) through at a time.

edo

Postby edo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
Eshru wrote:

Now I have symptom of a down stuck in my head. specifically:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y... actually that video is far to disturbing.

featuring cueball?

EDIT: redacted.
Last edited by edo on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:20 pm UTC

Unrelated: where is the Pope? It's been a while since the last time /s?he|it/ appeared.

I had noted this. How long would it take for us to realise he/she/it was assassinated by one of the other heretical churches? And if they have been permanently coma'd can we depope them?
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:

I had noted this. How long would it take for us to realise he/she/it was assassinated by one of the other heretical churches? And if they have been permanently coma'd can we depope them?

The cardinals voted him in, the cardinals most certainly can elect a new one.

Although, I for one, cling to hope that his holy m&m-ents, Pope helper will return.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:

Are there formalized procedures of ascendency in case a new Pope is needed? Maybe another "Pick-the-Pope" contest? With both bathing-suit modelling and a talent portion?

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:27 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
Eshru wrote:

Damn, good call.

Now it's clear to me we must get Randall and the Brothers Chaps to create a crossover strip. Xkcdstar Runner?

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:

Are there formalized procedures of ascendency in case a new Pope is needed? Maybe another "Pick-the-Pope" contest? With both bathing-suit modelling and a talent portion?

Specifically by paying us in gold talents, while dressed in a bathing suit.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:29 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:Now it's clear to me we must get Randall and the Brothers Chaps to create a crossover strip. Xkcdstar Runner?

It will be a what-if. How many Dagrons does it take to BURNiNATE the midwest?

histrion

Postby histrion » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:Now it's clear to me we must get Randall and the Brothers Chaps to create a crossover strip. Xkcdstar Runner?

When was the last time the Brothers Chaps updated that site, anyway? I thought something was supposed to happen a year ago, but nothing came of it.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:

I think it might have been mentioned. Along with charts, graphs, and pixel-highlighting graphics, not to mention vast quantities of debate, discussion, and over-analysis.

EDIT: Pre-posted by a sneaky black-comfy-pajama wearer with an affinity for sharp pointy stars of death...

And JavaScript. Lots of JavaScript. But since nobody's mentioned that in a few pages, I might as well make sure we all remember.

Hey guys. GUISE! I looked at the source of Time and saw all this weird JavaScript! It looks like the same stuff Randall put in Externalities, but I can't read it because I don't speak JavaScript. Can anyone break teh codez so we can fastforward through the rest of Time?
<paste of the entire wall of JS, unspoilered>
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

edo

Postby edo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:37 pm UTC

Look, all ones! we've reached the 31st post!
Attachments
allones.PNG

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:38 pm UTC

histrion wrote:

When was the last time the Brothers Chaps updated that site, anyway? I thought something was supposed to happen a year ago, but nothing came of it.

Coincidentally one of them is working with Yo Gabba Gabba

Spoiler:

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

And JavaScript. Lots of JavaScript. But since nobody's mentioned that in a few pages, I might as well make sure we all remember.

Hey guys. GUISE! I looked at the source of Time and saw all this weird JavaScript! It looks like the same stuff Randall put in Externalities, but I can't read it because I don't speak JavaScript. Can anyone break teh codez so we can fastforward through the rest of Time?

Well, if we are doing that, do you think this could be about randall having cancer? or a baby? maybe this is a metaphor for his relationship. What is that water made of anyway? could it be semencancerbabies? are they in a giant hourglass/waterglass(maybe that's why the water is rising...) maybe randal is dead. maybe megan is dead. maybe semencancerbunny is dead. has anyone made a gif or movie of this? I could create one if nobody has. what period are we in now, and what's up with all the talk of hats?

did I cover everything?
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Well, if we are doing that, do you think this could be about randall having cancer? or a baby? maybe this is a metaphor for his relationship. What is that water made of anyway? could it be semencancerbabies? are they in a giant hourglass/waterglass(maybe that's why the water is rising...) maybe randal is dead. maybe megan is dead. maybe semencancerbunny is dead. has anyone made a gif or movie of this? I could create one if nobody has. what period are we in now, and what's up with all the talk of hats?

did I cover everything?

There's more.

Wait for it...

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:48 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

did I cover everything?

There's more.

Wait for it...

True, dat! :)

But, Lo! Let this not deter any from their own personal quest to understand Time!

We each arrive at enlightenment in our own Time -- let it happen as it will. Being "first" is meaningless in the endless river of caffinatedsemenbabycoffee.

There is no "first;" there is no "last;" there is only Time.

Wait for it.

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:49 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:

Specifically by paying us in gold talents, while dressed in a bathing suit.

We need the Cannon Law! Problem: we need either an Ecumenic Council (i.e. lots of bishops) or the Pope. [EDIT: now that I think an "Ecumenic" Council is not appropriate for deciding the laws describing how to change a Pope]

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:We need the Cannon Law! Problem: we need either an Ecumenic Council (i.e. lots of bishops) or the Pope. [EDIT: now that I think an "Ecumenic" Council is not appropriate for deciding the laws describing how to change a Pope]

Can I be a bishop? I'll refuse to move due north, south, east, or west from now on. Opting, instead, for variations between the two. In fact I will no longer stay still. I will simply move east-westerly or north-southernly.

**EDIT**
I also wrote the cannon for the church of the one true comic...
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Cannon?action=history

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

...and they're gone.

Montov

Postby Montov » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

Flotter wrote:Image

...and they're gone.

Just getting more hardware!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:15 pm UTC

Montov wrote:
Flotter wrote:
Spoiler:

...and they're gone.

Just getting more hardware!

Maybe mini-poles to begin the mini-scaffolding on the mini-castle?

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:18 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
udscbt wrote:We need the Cannon Law! Problem: we need either an Ecumenic Council (i.e. lots of bishops) or the Pope. [EDIT: now that I think an "Ecumenic" Council is not appropriate for deciding the laws describing how to change a Pope]

Can I be a bishop? I'll refuse to move due north, south, east, or west from now on. Opting, instead, for variations between the two. In fact I will no longer stay still. I will simply move east-westerly or north-southernly.

**EDIT**

You clearly can't become a Cardinal, but I don't see why you shouldn't be a Bishop. In theory, I think we need another bishop to ordain you and the only bishop we currently have is Pope Helper. But since we have no Cannon Law regulating this yet, I will do it.
I, udscbt, Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, ordain you, peewee_RotA, Bishop of the Diocese of Cannon in nomine Temporis et Domini Randall et Unius Veri Tibulli.

Note: I don't know Latin, so that could easily mean anything

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:

**EDIT**

You clearly can't become a Cardinal, but I don't see why you shouldn't be a Bishop. In theory, I think we need another bishop to ordain you and the only bishop we currently have is Pope Helper. But since we have no Cannon Law regulating this yet, I will do it.
I, udscbt, Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, ordain you, peewee_RotA, Bishop of the Diocese of Cannon in nomine Temporis et Domini Randall et Unius Veri Tibulli.

Note: I don't know Latin, so that could easily mean anything

Hurray! Time to update the profile

I think I need to be confirmed by a majority of Bishops. I hereby confirm myself. :roll:
Last edited by peewee_RotA on Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:24 pm UTC

have we created an order of knight priests such as the templars, knights hospitalier, etc. yet?
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”