1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
htom
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:13 am UTC
Location: Twin Cities, MN, USA

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby htom » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
partingLance wrote:
udscbt wrote:
partingLance wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
Dracomax wrote:have we created an order of knight priests such as the templars, knights hospitalier, etc. yet?


I don't believe we have anyplace worth invading and stealing things from.

what about those dirty heretics who believe in "the outside?"

They don't have anything worth taking. All we need is Time.
Regardless, a knightly organization would be fun. Perhaps the Knight Watchers?


So I should be phrasing it as "Watchman, what of the Knight(s)?"?

Has a certain ring to it, I have to admit.

What about:
"Knights-Watchful" (by analogy to "knights-errant"); or simply
"the Knights Watch" (now that a new series of Game of Thrones has started).

I particularly like "the Knights Watch" because Watch can also be intended as that outsider device to measure outsider time.


Quite. And too besides, and furthermore: "watch" can be understood as a verb there, as well as two distinct nouns.


I hesitate to mention this, but if "watch" is a noun, should it not be "the Knight's Watch"?

(...and thus the Great Apostrophe War II was begun...)


Knight's, if there is one Knight watching; Knights', if there are more than one Knight.

The catapults, the Mangonel, Onager, and Trebuchet, might be awards.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

htom wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
partingLance wrote:
udscbt wrote:
partingLance wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
Dracomax wrote:have we created an order of knight priests such as the templars, knights hospitalier, etc. yet?


I don't believe we have anyplace worth invading and stealing things from.

what about those dirty heretics who believe in "the outside?"

They don't have anything worth taking. All we need is Time.
Regardless, a knightly organization would be fun. Perhaps the Knight Watchers?


So I should be phrasing it as "Watchman, what of the Knight(s)?"?

Has a certain ring to it, I have to admit.

What about:
"Knights-Watchful" (by analogy to "knights-errant"); or simply
"the Knights Watch" (now that a new series of Game of Thrones has started).

I particularly like "the Knights Watch" because Watch can also be intended as that outsider device to measure outsider time.


Quite. And too besides, and furthermore: "watch" can be understood as a verb there, as well as two distinct nouns.


I hesitate to mention this, but if "watch" is a noun, should it not be "the Knight's Watch"?

(...and thus the Great Apostrophe War II was begun...)


Knight's, if there is one Knight watching; Knights', if there are more than one Knight.

The catapults, the Mangonel, Onager, and Trebuchet, might be awards.


Why would more than one Knight own the same watch? Do they wear it on a Time-sharing plan?
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
Caswallon
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:04 pm UTC
Location: Seattle wa
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Caswallon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
partingLance wrote:
udscbt wrote:
partingLance wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
Dracomax wrote:have we created an order of knight priests such as the templars, knights hospitalier, etc. yet?


I don't believe we have anyplace worth invading and stealing things from.

what about those dirty heretics who believe in "the outside?"

They don't have anything worth taking. All we need is Time.
Regardless, a knightly organization would be fun. Perhaps the Knight Watchers?


So I should be phrasing it as "Watchman, what of the Knight(s)?"?

Has a certain ring to it, I have to admit.

What about:
"Knights-Watchful" (by analogy to "knights-errant"); or simply
"the Knights Watch" (now that a new series of Game of Thrones has started).

I particularly like "the Knights Watch" because Watch can also be intended as that outsider device to measure outsider time.


Quite. And too besides, and furthermore: "watch" can be understood as a verb there, as well as two distinct nouns.


I hesitate to mention this, but if "watch" is a noun, should it not be "the Knight's Watch"?

(...and thus the Great Apostrophe War II was begun...)


No,
"The Knights' Watch" If we are speaking of plural Knights with watches
or
"The Knights Watch's Watch" Would be far more appropriate as it would be the order of the knights, then their possessions.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

Hermesdfo
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:08 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Hermesdfo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

And once again we wait for pixels.

Been a while since I posted, but I've done my reading of the forum, I have waited and now people are really mad at me everytime I tell them I have to go back to the interblag to check for pixels.

I have no idea what to expect right now from Time. But I shall wait. That was the order, the path given to us, and my faith will not fail in these dark times of tides rising and threatening everything we have witnessed.

I'll come back, in Time, but I will never be away. This is actually fun!!!
(I'm having trouble every time I use words like today, later, or anything related to Time, and the Outsiders are starting to notice)

User avatar
Dracomax
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

They don't own the watch. they perform the watch.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

User avatar
udscbt
Cardinal
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:21 pm UTC
Location: Italy

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby udscbt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

RobIrr wrote:
udscbt wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:Can I be a bishop?

You clearly can't become a Cardinal, but I don't see why you shouldn't be a Bishop. In theory, I think we need another bishop to ordain you and the only bishop we currently have is Pope Helper. But since we have no Cannon Law regulating this yet, I will do it.
I, udscbt, Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, ordain you, peewee_RotA, Bishop of the Diocese of Cannon in nomine Temporis et Domini Randall et Unius Veri Tibulli.

Note: I don't know Latin, so that could easily mean anything


Hehe. Well, if the books are open, may I be a bishop too? :wink:

Ok, but you will be the last one for today.
I, udscbt, Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, ordain you, RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi in nomine Temporis et Domini Randall et Unius Veri Tibulli.
Now it's time you two start working on the Cannon Law.

I was thinking, maybe we should create a new language instead of using Latin; who wants to create the Newpixian Language? I should add that I want it to be a Formal Language.

PS:
StratPlayer wrote:
partingLance wrote:
udscbt wrote:
partingLance wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
Dracomax wrote:have we created an order of knight priests such as the templars, knights hospitalier, etc. yet?


I don't believe we have anyplace worth invading and stealing things from.

what about those dirty heretics who believe in "the outside?"

They don't have anything worth taking. All we need is Time.
Regardless, a knightly organization would be fun. Perhaps the Knight Watchers?


So I should be phrasing it as "Watchman, what of the Knight(s)?"?

Has a certain ring to it, I have to admit.

What about:
"Knights-Watchful" (by analogy to "knights-errant"); or simply
"the Knights Watch" (now that a new series of Game of Thrones has started).

I particularly like "the Knights Watch" because Watch can also be intended as that outsider device to measure outsider time.


Quite. And too besides, and furthermore: "watch" can be understood as a verb there, as well as two distinct nouns.


I hesitate to mention this, but if "watch" is a noun, should it not be "the Knight's Watch"?

(...and thus the Great Apostrophe War II was begun...)

About this, is there someone who can explain to me how it works? My teacher said that the 's is used for persons but not objects, but her explanation wasn't too clear.
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

Montov
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:54 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Montov » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:12 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:3 blank frames in a row


Blank frames? Don't you see the dancing gorilla in there?

User avatar
Dracomax
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:13 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:
RobIrr wrote:
udscbt wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:Can I be a bishop?

You clearly can't become a Cardinal, but I don't see why you shouldn't be a Bishop. In theory, I think we need another bishop to ordain you and the only bishop we currently have is Pope Helper. But since we have no Cannon Law regulating this yet, I will do it.
I, udscbt, Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, ordain you, peewee_RotA, Bishop of the Diocese of Cannon in nomine Temporis et Domini Randall et Unius Veri Tibulli.

Note: I don't know Latin, so that could easily mean anything


Hehe. Well, if the books are open, may I be a bishop too? :wink:

Ok, but you will be the last one for today.
I, udscbt, Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, ordain you, RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi in nomine Temporis et Domini Randall et Unius Veri Tibulli.
Now it's time you two start working on the Cannon Law.

I was thinking, maybe we should create a new language instead of using Latin; who wants to create the Newpixian Language? I should add that I want it to be a Formal Language.

PS:
StratPlayer wrote:
partingLance wrote:
udscbt wrote:
partingLance wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
Dracomax wrote:have we created an order of knight priests such as the templars, knights hospitalier, etc. yet?


I don't believe we have anyplace worth invading and stealing things from.

what about those dirty heretics who believe in "the outside?"

They don't have anything worth taking. All we need is Time.
Regardless, a knightly organization would be fun. Perhaps the Knight Watchers?


So I should be phrasing it as "Watchman, what of the Knight(s)?"?

Has a certain ring to it, I have to admit.

What about:
"Knights-Watchful" (by analogy to "knights-errant"); or simply
"the Knights Watch" (now that a new series of Game of Thrones has started).

I particularly like "the Knights Watch" because Watch can also be intended as that outsider device to measure outsider time.


Quite. And too besides, and furthermore: "watch" can be understood as a verb there, as well as two distinct nouns.


I hesitate to mention this, but if "watch" is a noun, should it not be "the Knight's Watch"?

(...and thus the Great Apostrophe War II was begun...)

About this, is there someone who can explain to me how it works? My teacher said that the 's is used for persons but not objects, but her explanation wasn't too clear.

It's difficult enough getting google to translate Latin. creating a language....

We'd be better just using Sindarin.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Whizbang » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

"It didn't happen on my watch."
"I'm about to get on/off watch"

The knights have ownership of the watch. So, in this case, watch is both a verb and a noun. Though the noun version has an implied "duty" tacked onto the end.

User avatar
Dracomax
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:"It didn't happen on my watch."
"I'm about to get on/off watch"

The knights have ownership of the watch. So, in this case, watch is both a verb and a noun. Though the noun version has an implied "duty" tacked onto the end.

Thus why I said they don't own the watch, they perform it.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

User avatar
udscbt
Cardinal
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:21 pm UTC
Location: Italy

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby udscbt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
udscbt wrote:
RobIrr wrote:
udscbt wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:Can I be a bishop?

You clearly can't become a Cardinal, but I don't see why you shouldn't be a Bishop. In theory, I think we need another bishop to ordain you and the only bishop we currently have is Pope Helper. But since we have no Cannon Law regulating this yet, I will do it.
I, udscbt, Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, ordain you, peewee_RotA, Bishop of the Diocese of Cannon in nomine Temporis et Domini Randall et Unius Veri Tibulli.

Note: I don't know Latin, so that could easily mean anything


Hehe. Well, if the books are open, may I be a bishop too? :wink:

Ok, but you will be the last one for today.
I, udscbt, Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, ordain you, RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi in nomine Temporis et Domini Randall et Unius Veri Tibulli.
Now it's time you two start working on the Cannon Law.

I was thinking, maybe we should create a new language instead of using Latin; who wants to create the Newpixian Language? I should add that I want it to be a Formal Language.

PS:
StratPlayer wrote:
partingLance wrote:
udscbt wrote:
partingLance wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
Dracomax wrote:have we created an order of knight priests such as the templars, knights hospitalier, etc. yet?


I don't believe we have anyplace worth invading and stealing things from.

what about those dirty heretics who believe in "the outside?"

They don't have anything worth taking. All we need is Time.
Regardless, a knightly organization would be fun. Perhaps the Knight Watchers?


So I should be phrasing it as "Watchman, what of the Knight(s)?"?

Has a certain ring to it, I have to admit.

What about:
"Knights-Watchful" (by analogy to "knights-errant"); or simply
"the Knights Watch" (now that a new series of Game of Thrones has started).

I particularly like "the Knights Watch" because Watch can also be intended as that outsider device to measure outsider time.


Quite. And too besides, and furthermore: "watch" can be understood as a verb there, as well as two distinct nouns.


I hesitate to mention this, but if "watch" is a noun, should it not be "the Knight's Watch"?

(...and thus the Great Apostrophe War II was begun...)

About this, is there someone who can explain to me how it works? My teacher said that the 's is used for persons but not objects, but her explanation wasn't too clear.

It's difficult enough getting google to translate Latin. creating a language....

We'd be better just using Sindarin.

I actually have both a grammar book and a dictionary of Sindarin in my computer! But the only thing I studied is how to form plurals (and I'm not sure I remember it correctly).
EDIT: I also knew how to write in Cirth and tehta-mode Tengwar, but I forgot most of them.
Last edited by udscbt on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Whizbang wrote:"It didn't happen on my watch."
"I'm about to get on/off watch"

The knights have ownership of the watch. So, in this case, watch is both a verb and a noun. Though the noun version has an implied "duty" tacked onto the end.

Thus why I said they don't own the watch, they perform it.


Well, yeah, you're right there, obviously...

But it's this:

partingLance wrote:
udscbt wrote:
partingLance wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
<snip>

I particularly like "the Knights Watch" because Watch can also be intended as that outsider device to measure outsider time.


Quite. And too besides, and furthermore: "watch" can be understood as a verb there, as well as two distinct nouns.


So, if the Knights are using a watch to know when to start their watch, it's probably just one Knight's Watch that tells them when to begin the Knights' Watch, I would think. So the Knight with the watch would be the Knights' Watch watchman, right?
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
Caswallon
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:04 pm UTC
Location: Seattle wa
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Caswallon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:"It didn't happen on my watch."
"I'm about to get on/off watch"

The knights have ownership of the watch. So, in this case, watch is both a verb and a noun. Though the noun version has an implied "duty" tacked onto the end.


Ah, but do they not also have watches while on watch? And the original discussion was around the title of the Knights. I.E. "The Knights who Watch"

Antonio and Bendrito, members of "The Knights who Watch", was on watch duty, looking at the watches, owned by said Knights.

So, "The Knights who Watchs' Watchs watching Watches"
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

User avatar
Caswallon
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:04 pm UTC
Location: Seattle wa
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Caswallon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

I have come to only once conclusion after all of this, "Watch" is a weird word.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

User avatar
Exodies
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm UTC
Location: Blackwaterside

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

imagineddragon wrote:
Exodies wrote:
elementropy wrote:So: a thought about the "hourglass" theory. What if the "river" refers to the stream coming from the top chamber, and the "sea" is, in fact the level of sand in the bottom? This of course ignores the concept that an hourglass tends to create a rising cone-shaped pile of sand in the bottom chamber as the chamber fills, but then again, maybe our characters have affected some sort of engineering to keep it flowing around their area of habitation.

I also wonder if Megan is about to start constructing on a heretofore invisible ceiling, one which will be right-side up when the "glass" is turned. (i.e. a one-chambered hourglass-like system that defies rational physics in favour of the abstract, a la Lewis Carroll or M.C. Escher)


The level of confirmation bias in this thread is astonishing. Are some of you perhaps policemen/women? An hour glass has a vortex at one end and a conical hill at the other THE ONE COMIC IS ALMOST AS FAR AS IT IS POSSIBLE TO BE FROM HAVING A VORTEX AND A CONICAL HILL.

Point 2 (to avoid the newly discovered crime of double posting (new to me, that is)) the box is a tool box containing the bolts she is using to fasten the horizontal to the verticals.


It could be an infinitely large hourglass and the slope could be so gradual as to be unnoticeable. The vortex could be as small as to only allow one grain of sand (corresponding to 1NP) through at a time.

You have a point. Eventually then, it will be empty; let's wait for it.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:I have come to only once conclusion after all of this, "Watch" is a weird word.


Yes. Good thing Lord Randall didn't command us to watch for it.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
Exodies
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm UTC
Location: Blackwaterside

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

edo wrote:
Exodies wrote:
edo wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
SBN wrote:
Flado wrote:
edo wrote:I'm joining your religion - would you cannonize me a Revered Apostate?.

I'm afraid we abhor shooting people with cannons, especially those not wearing pointed helmets. We also have no cannons left.
So, welcome, and can find someone to revere you. And abhor.


Was the request to be shot with a cannon, or from a cannon?

Either way, helmet an kneepads.


I've got my helmet on. To bad we're out of cannons. Perhaps a Holy Trébuchet? (then I would be Trébuchetized, I guess)

I wouldn't let BuffyGirl know you've been designing hats. Take my advice friend, get a new avatar.


It's not a hat, it's a helmet.


It's not me you have to convince.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

User avatar
iisjreg
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:12 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby iisjreg » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
Whizbang wrote:"It didn't happen on my watch."
"I'm about to get on/off watch"

The knights have ownership of the watch. So, in this case, watch is both a verb and a noun. Though the noun version has an implied "duty" tacked onto the end.


Ah, but do they not also have watches while on watch? And the original discussion was around the title of the Knights. I.E. "The Knights who Watch"

Antonio and Bendrito, members of "The Knights who Watch", was on watch duty, looking at the watches, owned by said Knights.

So, "The Knights who Watchs' Watchs watching Watches"


YES YES YES YES

User avatar
partingLance
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:49 pm UTC
Location: never off the boat

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby partingLance » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
udscbt wrote:
partingLance wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
Dracomax wrote:have we created an order of knight priests such as the templars, knights hospitalier, etc. yet?


I don't believe we have anyplace worth invading and stealing things from.

what about those dirty heretics who believe in "the outside?"

They don't have anything worth taking. All we need is Time.
Regardless, a knightly organization would be fun. Perhaps the Knight Watchers?


So I should be phrasing it as "Watchman, what of the Knight(s)?"?

Has a certain ring to it, I have to admit.

What about:
"Knights-Watchful" (by analogy to "knights-errant"); or simply
"the Knights Watch" (now that a new series of Game of Thrones has started).

I particularly like "the Knights Watch" because Watch can also be intended as that outsider device to measure outsider time.


Defenders Of Noble Graphics; Knights Eternally Yearning! Driven Onward; Never Given Sleep! (DONKEY DONGS)

Well, Knights Watch makes me think of a Pratchett book.

so, maybe "Morituri Nolumus Mori"


Dark though it is, that's one of my favourite Pratchett books. I identify a little with Vimes. Of course I lack the alcoholism (and taste for cigars), the hardscrabble upbringing, the hard-won street smarts, the experience of policing (and of command in general), the marriage to a wealthy duchess (or duchess of any kind, though my RFL* will always be royalty to me), the ceremonial sword, the...

But the cynicism. Definitely the cynicism, howbeit that I arrived at it by a quite different route.

*Reason For Living**.
** You may now say "awwww..." or "blecch!", according to taste.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

User avatar
descor
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:00 am UTC
Location: UK

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby descor » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

iisjreg wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
Whizbang wrote:"It didn't happen on my watch."
"I'm about to get on/off watch"

The knights have ownership of the watch. So, in this case, watch is both a verb and a noun. Though the noun version has an implied "duty" tacked onto the end.


Ah, but do they not also have watches while on watch? And the original discussion was around the title of the Knights. I.E. "The Knights who Watch"

Antonio and Bendrito, members of "The Knights who Watch", was on watch duty, looking at the watches, owned by said Knights.

So, "The Knights who Watchs' Watchs watching Watches"


YES YES YES YES


Argh my head ...
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

User avatar
htom
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:13 am UTC
Location: Twin Cities, MN, USA

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby htom » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

Last edited by htom on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

User avatar
RobIrr
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:17 pm UTC
Location: Salford. UK.
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby RobIrr » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:Ok, but you will be the last one for today.
I, udscbt, Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, ordain you, RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi in nomine Temporis et Domini Randall et Unius Veri Tibulli.
Now it's time you two start working on the Cannon Law.



Thank you! :D

udscbt wrote:I was thinking, maybe we should create a new language instead of using Latin; who wants to create the Newpixian Language? I should add that I want it to be a Formal Language.


Esperanto ?
Image
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

User avatar
Exodies
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm UTC
Location: Blackwaterside

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
Dracomax wrote:have we created an order of knight priests such as the templars, knights hospitalier, etc. yet?


I don't believe we have anyplace worth invading and stealing things from.

what about those dirty heretics who believe in "the outside?"

They don't have anything worth taking. All we need is Time.
Regardless, a knightly organization would be fun. Perhaps the Knight Watchers?


The Knight Riders? With their faithful cyber-car, "IT"?


They write letters on parchment with their knight quills.


Ok, how about the Endless Knights?

Or the Knights of the Pixels?

Or the Defenders Of Noble Graphics (DONGs)?

Knights of the Slowly Rising Tide.


Knights in white semencafeinbabycancer
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Whizbang » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

Image

User avatar
PhoenixRising
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:53 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
Whizbang wrote:"It didn't happen on my watch."
"I'm about to get on/off watch"

The knights have ownership of the watch. So, in this case, watch is both a verb and a noun. Though the noun version has an implied "duty" tacked onto the end.


Ah, but do they not also have watches while on watch? And the original discussion was around the title of the Knights. I.E. "The Knights who Watch"

Antonio and Bendrito, members of "The Knights who Watch", was on watch duty, looking at the watches, owned by said Knights.

So, "The Knights who Watchs' Watchs watching Watches"


You guys lost me here. But after carefully examining all evidence, I have reached a definite conclusion: watch, and all its variants, just stopped sounding like a real word.
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Whizbang wrote:"It didn't happen on my watch."
"I'm about to get on/off watch"

The knights have ownership of the watch. So, in this case, watch is both a verb and a noun. Though the noun version has an implied "duty" tacked onto the end.

Thus why I said they don't own the watch, they perform it.


Well, yeah, you're right there, obviously...

But it's this:

partingLance wrote:
udscbt wrote:
partingLance wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
<snip>

I particularly like "the Knights Watch" because Watch can also be intended as that outsider device to measure outsider time.


Quite. And too besides, and furthermore: "watch" can be understood as a verb there, as well as two distinct nouns.


So, if the Knights are using a watch to know when to start their watch, it's probably just one Knight's Watch that tells them when to begin the Knights' Watch, I would think. So the Knight with the watch would be the Knights' Watch watchman, right?

Your quotes are messed up. I didn't say that, and am in fact a proponent of 'watch' in terms of 'vigil.'
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
Dracomax
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

"watch watch watch watch watch" doesn't work as well as a sentence as "Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."

but watch is a funny word, yes.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

User avatar
histrion
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby histrion » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:I was thinking, maybe we should create a new language instead of using Latin; who wants to create the Newpixian Language? I should add that I want it to be a Formal Language.


The ergative case looks great in a tux.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

User avatar
udscbt
Cardinal
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:21 pm UTC
Location: Italy

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby udscbt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

htom wrote:Like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo,

can we have Watch watch Watch watch watch Watch watch?

As I've already said, I don't perfectly know the English language, so always doubt of my words, but: shouldn't it be something like "Watch's watches Watch's watches watch watch Watch's watches" or "Watch watches Watch watches watch watch Watch watches" (I'm still not too sure about how the 's works)?
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

User avatar
shurikt
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby shurikt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:I have come to only once conclusion after all of this, "Watch" is a weird word.


This.

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:42 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Whizbang wrote:"It didn't happen on my watch."
"I'm about to get on/off watch"

The knights have ownership of the watch. So, in this case, watch is both a verb and a noun. Though the noun version has an implied "duty" tacked onto the end.

Thus why I said they don't own the watch, they perform it.


Well, yeah, you're right there, obviously...

But it's this:

partingLance wrote:
udscbt wrote:
partingLance wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
<snip>

I particularly like "the Knights Watch" because Watch can also be intended as that outsider device to measure outsider time.


Quite. And too besides, and furthermore: "watch" can be understood as a verb there, as well as two distinct nouns.


So, if the Knights are using a watch to know when to start their watch, it's probably just one Knight's Watch that tells them when to begin the Knights' Watch, I would think. So the Knight with the watch would be the Knights' Watch watchman, right?

Your quotes are messed up. I didn't say that, and am in fact a proponent of 'watch' in terms of 'vigil.'


Ah, you are correct, and I apologize for my errant snipping. Good thing I wasn't performing a Bris...

And personally, I have no problems with the plurality of 'watch'. It was the lack of proper apostrophication that set me off. :wink:
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
Exodies
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm UTC
Location: Blackwaterside

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:42 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:"watch watch watch watch watch" doesn't work as well as a sentence as "Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."

but watch is a funny word, yes.


heh. He said but watch
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

User avatar
Dracomax
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:47 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
Dracomax wrote:"watch watch watch watch watch" doesn't work as well as a sentence as "Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."

but watch is a funny word, yes.


heh. He said but watch

...but watch But watch butts watching But watch...
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

User avatar
partingLance
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:49 pm UTC
Location: never off the boat

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby partingLance » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:I hesitate to mention this, but if "watch" is a noun, should it not be "the Knight's Watch"?

(...and thus the Great Apostrophe War II was begun...)


I'm almost ashamed of myself for having been party to starting such a thing.

But not quite. Mwahaha.

EDIT:
Exodies wrote:Knights in white semencafeinbabycancer


Maybe BlitzGirl can confirm when she toils this far, but I believe that's the first Moody Blues reference in this thread. (I did a similar forced march before registering, but skimmed through quote cascades, and could have overlooked something).
Last edited by partingLance on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

User avatar
htom
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:13 am UTC
Location: Twin Cities, MN, USA

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby htom » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:
htom wrote:Like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo,

can we have Watch watch Watch watch watch Watch watch?

As I've already said, I don't perfectly know the English language, so always doubt of my words, but: shouldn't it be something like "Watch's watches Watch's watches watch watch Watch's watches" or "Watch watches Watch watches watch watch Watch watches" (I'm still not too sure about how the 's works)?


Maybe. Buffalo is the plural of buffalo, watches the plural of watch (the noun.) I've always found the Buffalo ... buffalo thing confusing. I can eventually work it out, but then promptly forget it.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2153
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:About this, is there someone who can explain to me how it works? My teacher said that the 's is used for persons but not objects, but her explanation wasn't too clear.


My best guess as to what your teacher meant is that you don't use 's for pronouns.

That is my dog's toy.
That is Peaches' toy.
My dog is named Peaches. That is its toy.

(Though the pronoun I'd usually use would be hers, since I do actually know her gender.)
But, its (no apostrophe) is for possessive where it's (with an apostrophe) is a contraction of it is.

Note that the apostrophe goes after the s for words that already end in s. But you don't add another s, so it isn't, "That is Peaches's toy."

Does that help at all?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
udscbt
Cardinal
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:21 pm UTC
Location: Italy

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby udscbt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

There is even a wikipedia page for this kind of things, wow. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_linguistic_example_sentences

Image
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

Millah
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:50 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Millah » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

Still no real change...

User avatar
Caswallon
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:04 pm UTC
Location: Seattle wa
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Caswallon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

htom wrote:
udscbt wrote:
htom wrote:Like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo,

can we have Watch watch Watch watch watch Watch watch?

As I've already said, I don't perfectly know the English language, so always doubt of my words, but: shouldn't it be something like "Watch's watches Watch's watches watch watch Watch's watches" or "Watch watches Watch watches watch watch Watch watches" (I'm still not too sure about how the 's works)?


Maybe. Buffalo is the plural of buffalo, watches the plural of watch (the noun.) I've always found the Buffalo ... buffalo thing confusing. I can eventually work it out, but then promptly forget it.


"Watch Watch watch Watch Watch watch" works for me.

"The Viewers of timepieces, is commanded to look at the Viewers of timepieces, timepiece.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

User avatar
iisjreg
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:12 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby iisjreg » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
htom wrote:
udscbt wrote:
htom wrote:Like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo,

can we have Watch watch Watch watch watch Watch watch?

As I've already said, I don't perfectly know the English language, so always doubt of my words, but: shouldn't it be something like "Watch's watches Watch's watches watch watch Watch's watches" or "Watch watches Watch watches watch watch Watch watches" (I'm still not too sure about how the 's works)?


Maybe. Buffalo is the plural of buffalo, watches the plural of watch (the noun.) I've always found the Buffalo ... buffalo thing confusing. I can eventually work it out, but then promptly forget it.


"Watch Watch watch Watch Watch watch" works for me.

"The Viewers of Timepieces are commanded to look at viewers of timepieces' timepieces.


FTFY


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Esthr, JPatten, moody7277 and 68 guests