1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

peewee_RotA

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Whizbang wrote:"It didn't happen on my watch."
"I'm about to get on/off watch"

The knights have ownership of the watch. So, in this case, watch is both a verb and a noun. Though the noun version has an implied "duty" tacked onto the end.

Thus why I said they don't own the watch, they perform it.

Well, yeah, you're right there, obviously...

But it's this:

partingLance wrote:
udscbt wrote:
partingLance wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
<snip>

I particularly like "the Knights Watch" because Watch can also be intended as that outsider device to measure outsider time.

Quite. And too besides, and furthermore: "watch" can be understood as a verb there, as well as two distinct nouns.

So, if the Knights are using a watch to know when to start their watch, it's probably just one Knight's Watch that tells them when to begin the Knights' Watch, I would think. So the Knight with the watch would be the Knights' Watch watchman, right?

Your quotes are messed up. I didn't say that, and am in fact a proponent of 'watch' in terms of 'vigil.'

Ah, you are correct, and I apologize for my errant snipping. Good thing I wasn't performing a Bris...

And personally, I have no problems with the plurality of 'watch'. It was the lack of proper apostrophication that set me off. :wink:

The watch tower of quotes
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

histrion

Postby histrion » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

SBN wrote:Note that the apostrophe goes after the s for words that already end in s. But you don't add another s, so it isn't, "That is Peaches's toy."

I'm not sure that's universally agreed upon: I seem to recall Strunk & White either saying just the opposite, or saying that it was a matter of personal preference, i.e., "That is James' toy" and "That is James's toy" are both acceptable.

Interesting, though, how when you change it from James to Peaches, omitting the extra s feels more natural. I think it must be a repeated-sibilance thing.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:
RobIrr wrote:
udscbt wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:Can I be a bishop?

You clearly can't become a Cardinal, but I don't see why you shouldn't be a Bishop. In theory, I think we need another bishop to ordain you and the only bishop we currently have is Pope Helper. But since we have no Cannon Law regulating this yet, I will do it.
I, udscbt, Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, ordain you, peewee_RotA, Bishop of the Diocese of Cannon in nomine Temporis et Domini Randall et Unius Veri Tibulli.

Note: I don't know Latin, so that could easily mean anything

Hehe. Well, if the books are open, may I be a bishop too? :wink:

Ok, but you will be the last one for today.
I, udscbt, Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, ordain you, RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi in nomine Temporis et Domini Randall et Unius Veri Tibulli.
Now it's time you two start working on the Cannon Law.

I was thinking, maybe we should create a new language instead of using Latin; who wants to create the Newpixian Language? I should add that I want it to be a Formal Language.

I propose a vote to confirm. I second that vote. I confirm the second of that vote to confirm.

All in favor say Aye.
Eye!
Did you say eye?
Aye, eye!
Who ayed that eye?
I, ayed.
Aye yiy yiy.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

RobIrr wrote:
udscbt wrote:Ok, but you will be the last one for today.
I, udscbt, Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, ordain you, RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi in nomine Temporis et Domini Randall et Unius Veri Tibulli.

Thank you! :D

udscbt wrote:I was thinking, maybe we should create a new language instead of using Latin; who wants to create the Newpixian Language? I should add that I want it to be a Formal Language.

Esperanto ?

I would say Hawaiian Pidgin but that's too much like The Madness

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
udscbt wrote:
RobIrr wrote:
udscbt wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:Can I be a bishop?

You clearly can't become a Cardinal, but I don't see why you shouldn't be a Bishop. In theory, I think we need another bishop to ordain you and the only bishop we currently have is Pope Helper. But since we have no Cannon Law regulating this yet, I will do it.
I, udscbt, Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, ordain you, peewee_RotA, Bishop of the Diocese of Cannon in nomine Temporis et Domini Randall et Unius Veri Tibulli.

Note: I don't know Latin, so that could easily mean anything

Hehe. Well, if the books are open, may I be a bishop too? :wink:

Ok, but you will be the last one for today.

I was thinking, maybe we should create a new language instead of using Latin; who wants to create the Newpixian Language? I should add that I want it to be a Formal Language.

I propose a vote to confirm. I second that vote. I confirm the second of that vote to confirm.

All in favor say Aye.
Eye!
Did you say eye?
Aye, eye!
Who ayed that eye?
I, ayed.
Aye yiy yiy.

So...you're a plurality all by yourself?

...I vote we take a way peewee_RotA's voting priviliges.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
udscbt wrote:About this, is there someone who can explain to me how it works? My teacher said that the 's is used for persons but not objects, but her explanation wasn't too clear.

My best guess as to what your teacher meant is that you don't use 's for pronouns.

That is my dog's toy.
That is Peaches' toy.
My dog is named Peaches. That is its toy.

(Though the pronoun I'd usually use would be hers, since I do actually know her gender.)
But, its (no apostrophe) is for possessive where it's (with an apostrophe) is a contraction of it is.

Note that the apostrophe goes after the s for words that already end in s. But you don't add another s, so it isn't, "That is Peaches's toy."

Does that help at all?

I was more worried about things like: can I say "I like that ball's color"? Why is it "door lock" and not "door's lock"?
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

Millah wrote:Still no real change...

Water level still rising by fractions of a newpixel.

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:I was more worried about things like: can I say "I like that ball's color"? Why is it "door lock" and not "door's lock"?

Ball's color is fine, as long as it's visible under all the hair.
Door lock is a general term - door locks are made of brass, that door's lock is made of caffeinesemencancerbabies, though.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

Errant thought:

This thread has had its discussion about gender and names, various grammar discussions, nit-picks about frame preferences, all sorts of other common and uncommon thread side-discussions... and yet no rule 34 (though maybe that is what the coffeesemencancerbabies is about? Also, there was that one GIF someone made that showed the two of them humping then a missle hit) or Godwin's Law.

htom

Postby htom » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:I hesitate to mention this, but if "watch" is a noun, should it not be "the Knight's Watch"?

(...and thus the Great Apostrophe War II was begun...)

I'm almost ashamed of myself for having been party to starting such a thing.

But not quite. Mwahaha.

EDIT:
Exodies wrote:Knights in white semencafeinbabycancer

Maybe BlitzGirl can confirm when she toils this far, but I believe that's the first Moody Blues reference in this thread. (I did a similar forced march before registering, but skimmed through quote cascades, and could have overlooked something).

I thought I had the first -- viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3320872&hilit=moody+blues#p3320872

but it was NotThatHatGut at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3307028&hilit=moody+blues#p3307028

Lots of Moody references are possible.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

iisjreg wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
htom wrote:
udscbt wrote:
htom wrote:Like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo,

can we have Watch watch Watch watch watch Watch watch?

As I've already said, I don't perfectly know the English language, so always doubt of my words, but: shouldn't it be something like "Watch's watches Watch's watches watch watch Watch's watches" or "Watch watches Watch watches watch watch Watch watches" (I'm still not too sure about how the 's works)?

Maybe. Buffalo is the plural of buffalo, watches the plural of watch (the noun.) I've always found the Buffalo ... buffalo thing confusing. I can eventually work it out, but then promptly forget it.

"Watch Watch watch Watch Watch watch" works for me.

"The Viewers of Timepieces are commanded to look at viewers of timepieces' timepieces.

FTFY

Okay, I think this is it:
"Watch Watch Watch Watch watch watch Watch Watch watch."

The Viewers of Timepieces whom other Viewers of Timepieces are guarding, are also commanded to look at viewers of timepieces' timepieces.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

descor

Postby descor » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
iisjreg wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
htom wrote:
udscbt wrote:
htom wrote:Like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo,

As I've already said, I don't perfectly know the English language, so always doubt of my words, but: shouldn't it be something like "Watch's watches Watch's watches watch watch Watch's watches" or "Watch watches Watch watches watch watch Watch watches" (I'm still not too sure about how the 's works)?

Maybe. Buffalo is the plural of buffalo, watches the plural of watch (the noun.) I've always found the Buffalo ... buffalo thing confusing. I can eventually work it out, but then promptly forget it.

"The Viewers of Timepieces are commanded to look at viewers of timepieces' timepieces.

FTFY

The Viewers of Timepieces whom other Viewers of Timepieces are guarding, are also commanded to look at viewers of timepieces' timepieces.

I think you've got a capital letter wrong there but I can't decide whether its the second or fifth watch.

EDIT: or do I mean the third watch ... I'm confused!
Last edited by descor on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

SinusPi wrote:
udscbt wrote:I was more worried about things like: can I say "I like that ball's color"? Why is it "door lock" and not "door's lock"?

Ball's color is fine, as long as it's visible under all the hair.
Door lock is a general term - door locks are made of brass, that door's lock is made of caffeinesemencancerbabies, though.

I think I got it, but maybe it's better I don't talk about this to my teacher :P

Whizbang wrote:Errant thought:

This thread has had its discussion about gender and names, various grammar discussions, nit-picks about frame preferences, all sorts of other common and uncommon thread side-discussions... and yet no rule 34 (though maybe that is what the coffeesemencancerbabies is about? Also, there was that one GIF someone made that showed the two of them humping then a missle hit) or Godwin's Law.

Rule 34: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3320623#p3320623
Godwin's Law: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3306747#p3306747
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

htom

Postby htom » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:
SBN wrote:
udscbt wrote:About this, is there someone who can explain to me how it works? My teacher said that the 's is used for persons but not objects, but her explanation wasn't too clear.

My best guess as to what your teacher meant is that you don't use 's for pronouns.

That is my dog's toy.
That is Peaches' toy.

(Though the pronoun I'd usually use would be hers, since I do actually know her gender.)
But, its (no apostrophe) is for possessive where it's (with an apostrophe) is a contraction of it is.

Note that the apostrophe goes after the s for words that already end in s. But you don't add another s, so it isn't, "That is Peaches's toy."

Does that help at all?

I was more worried about things like: can I say "I like that ball's color"? Why is it "door lock" and not "door's lock"?

"I like that ball's color." is correct (assuming you like the color.)

"Door lock" and "door's lock"; maybe that one depends on context. "The door lock is broken.", "That door's lock is broken." Aha! The device (perhaps on the table) is a "door lock", installed in the door, it's the lock of the door, hence "door's lock".

Someone agree with me, please. Or not.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

htom wrote:
partingLance wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:I hesitate to mention this, but if "watch" is a noun, should it not be "the Knight's Watch"?

(...and thus the Great Apostrophe War II was begun...)

I'm almost ashamed of myself for having been party to starting such a thing.

But not quite. Mwahaha.

EDIT:
Exodies wrote:Knights in white semencafeinbabycancer

Maybe BlitzGirl can confirm when she toils this far, but I believe that's the first Moody Blues reference in this thread. (I did a similar forced march before registering, but skimmed through quote cascades, and could have overlooked something).

I thought I had the first -- viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3320872&hilit=moody+blues#p3320872

but it was NotThatHatGut at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3307028&hilit=moody+blues#p3307028

Lots of Moody references are possible.

I stand corrected. Sloppy of me not to have done a search. Usually I'm quite pendantic about such things. Maybe the Waiting is getting to me.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

htom wrote:
udscbt wrote:
SBN wrote:

That is my dog's toy.
That is Peaches' toy.

Does that help at all?

"Door lock" and "door's lock"; maybe that one depends on context. "The door lock is broken.", "That door's lock is broken." Aha! The device (perhaps on the table) is a "door lock", installed in the door, it's the lock of the door, hence "door's lock".

I agree! It's not worth much since I am the one who asked the question, but SinusPi's answer seems to agree too.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

descor wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
iisjreg wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
htom wrote:
udscbt wrote:

FTFY

I think you've got a capital letter wrong there but I can't decide whether its the second or fifth watch.

I don't believe so, breaking it down:
"Watch Watch" = The Guard/viewers of Timepieces, hence capitalized.
That would be the First and Second, Third and Fourth, and the Seventh and Eighth.

The Fifth refers to the act of the primary actor on the secondary actor, so non capitalized.
The Sixth refers to the act of the first part, on the second part.
The Ninth refers to the object they are watching, not a proper noun.

So the first four should all be capitalized, the fifth and sixth not capitalized, the seventh and eight capitalized, and the last not capitalized:
((Watch Watch) (Watch Watch) (watch)) watch ((Watch Watch) watch)
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:I agree! It's not worth much since I am the one who asked the question, but SinusPi's answer seems to agree too.

I agree too. Also ... the Door's door lock's locked.
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

descor

Postby descor » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
descor wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
iisjreg wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
htom wrote:
udscbt wrote:

FTFY

I don't believe so, breaking it down:
"Watch Watch" = The Guard/viewers of Timepieces, hence capitalized.
That would be the First and Second, Third and Fourth, and the Seventh and Eighth.

The Fifth refers to the act of the primary actor on the secondary actor, so non capitalized.
The Sixth refers to the act of the first part, on the second part.
The Ninth refers to the object they are watching, not a proper noun.

So the first four should all be capitalized, the fifth and sixth not capitalized, the seventh and eight capitalized, and the last not capitalized:
((Watch Watch) (Watch Watch) (watch)) watch ((Watch Watch) watch)

I stand duly corrected.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

SinusPi wrote:
Millah wrote:Still no real change...

Water level still rising by fractions of a newpixel.

I hate to be pedantic¹, but newpix(el) is a unit of time, not distance. So: water level still rising by fractions of a pixel, per newpix.

¹: OK, that's a lie.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:46 pm UTC

How 's works is very simple. Just go in any forum and carefully type these words:
The dog was having it's supper.
If it's an intellectual's forum you might need to be more subtle:
I think you'll find its ultra violet radiation which stimulate's the formation of vitamin D

And that's it. The apostrophe war will commence.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

SBN wrote:

That is my dog's toy.
That is Peaches' toy.

Does that help at all?

Technically it's correct with both an apostrophe or an apostrophe -s for NAMES which end in S. So Peaches' and Peaches's would both be correct... (since it's a name.) Mostly it becomes a consistency thing. If you choose not to add the -s for a possessive name, do so throughout the entirety of your text.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:51 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Technically it's is correct with both an apostrophe or an apostraphe -s for NAMES which end in S. So Peaches' and Peaches's would both be correct... since it's a name. Mostly it becomes a consistency thing. If you choose not to add the -s for a possessive name, do so throughout the entirety of your text.

Also, if you are writing for someone (boss, professor, etc.) do it the way they want it, even if you disagree.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:55 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Valarya wrote:Technically it's is correct with both an apostrophe or an apostraphe -s for NAMES which end in S. So Peaches' and Peaches's would both be correct... since it's a name. Mostly it becomes a consistency thing. If you choose not to add the -s for a possessive name, do so throughout the entirety of your text.

Also, if you are writing for someone (boss, professor, etc.) do it the way they want it, even if you disagree.

Thanks everyone, but this is clearly the best advice :D

veryslightlygeeky

Postby veryslightlygeeky » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:57 pm UTC

Well, with all this watching and waiting, maybe night is setting in. So I guess the the Knights will have settle in too.

To pass time, would our knights of grammar care to punctuate:

Bill where John had had had had had had had had had the teachers approval

(Though I am not sure that the teacher was right.)

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

Hi, all. Long-time lurker, first-time poster. (Well, ok, I posted in Externalities, but first time in THIS thread.) I don't wish to sound too demanding, but according to the wiki, I believe this makes me eligible for cardinalship: "Any long time forum lurker who registered in solely to post in the One True Comic are eligible for Cardinal-ship." I will await delivery of the funny hat and staff. Or do cardinals have a staff? maybe that's just bishops.

Oh wait, maybe I did post earlier in this thread. Ok, I should get the cardinalship for THAT post.

Anyhooo... I heartily approve of all the earnest discussion about apostrophes. However, we could avoid the whole discussion by saying "the Watch of the Knight." No apostrophe needed. And then you have a great acronym, WOTK--ok, not so great an acronym, never mind.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

nickulo wrote:Been checking in here periodically for almost 500 newpics. Had to chime in with:

1. You people are insane.
2. May I suggest "The Knights Who Say..........." (and then if someone asks "Say what?" You just say "Wait for it.")

"We are the knights who say ...... wait for it ...... dery." Hang on, I got that wrong somewhere.
htom wrote:
udscbt wrote:
SBN wrote:

That is my dog's toy.
That is Peaches' toy.

Does that help at all?

Adding either apostrophe or apostrophe-s is correct if the s is from a proper noun but not if it comes from pluralisation. Suppose your dogs, Peaches and James, own a ball each. Then you may speak of "Peaches' ball's colour", "Peaches's ball's colour" or "the dogs' balls' colours", but not "the dogs's balls's colours".
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

I wish you guy's would stop posting about "apostrophe's".

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

Change!
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

histrion

Postby histrion » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

veryslightlygeeky wrote:Bill where John had had had had had had had had had the teachers approval

Bill, where John had had "had," had had "had had." "Had had" had had the teacher's approval.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

spamjam wrote:I wish you guy's would stop posting about "apostrophe's".

What should we post about? Some dumbass cartoon?

Perhaps there's a cyber cafe off to the left and they keep popping in for a go on the forum. Has anyone analysed who is never on-line when both Megan and Cueball are in view?
Last edited by Exodies on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:08 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:exspecta illum

You don't say?
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Hi, all. Long-time lurker, first-time poster. (Well, ok, I posted in Externalities, but first time in THIS thread.) I don't wish to sound too demanding, but according to the wiki, I believe this makes me eligible for cardinalship: "Any long time forum lurker who registered in solely to post in the One True Comic are eligible for Cardinal-ship." I will await delivery of the funny hat and staff. Or do cardinals have a staff? maybe that's just bishops.

Oh wait, maybe I did post earlier in this thread. Ok, I should get the cardinalship for THAT post.

Anyhooo... I heartily approve of all the earnest discussion about apostrophes. However, we could avoid the whole discussion by saying "the Watch of the Knight." No apostrophe needed. And then you have a great acronym, WOTK--ok, not so great an acronym, never mind.

I'm afraid that, since your first post was in the Externalities thread, you're not eligible for Cardinalship. You could, however, become a bishop, but as I said earlier I won't nominate new bishops today. I'm sorry, but I hope you will continue waiting with us Timewaiters.

histrion wrote:
veryslightlygeeky wrote:Bill where John had had had had had had had had had the teachers approval

Bill, where John had had "had," had had "had had." "Had had" had had the teacher's approval.

veryslightlygeeky used 9 "had" while histrion used 11 "had"... something's wrong.

PS: 's 's 's 's 's 's

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:
histrion wrote:

veryslightlygeeky used 9 "had" while histrion used 11 "had"... something's wrong.

Must be the former, because the latter is clearly correct: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_while_John_had_had_had_had_had_had_had_had_had_had_had_a_better_effect_on_the_teacher
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
spamjam wrote:I wish you guy's would stop posting about "apostrophe's".

What should we post about? Some dumbass cartoon?

Perhaps there's a cyber cafe off to the left and they keep popping in for a go on the forum. Has anyone analysed who is never on-line when both Megan and Cueball are in view?

Time for some charts and graphs!

Who's going to make them?
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

She's baaack...

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

descor

Postby descor » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Hi, all. Long-time lurker, first-time poster. (Well, ok, I posted in Externalities, but first time in THIS thread.) I don't wish to sound too demanding, but according to the wiki, I believe this makes me eligible for cardinalship: "Any long time forum lurker who registered in solely to post in the One True Comic are eligible for Cardinal-ship." I will await delivery of the funny hat and staff. Or do cardinals have a staff? maybe that's just bishops.

I'm afraid that, since your first post was in the Externalities thread, you're not eligible for Cardinalship. You could, however, become a bishop, but as I said earlier I won't nominate new bishops today. I'm sorry, but I hope you will continue waiting with us Timewaiters.

So ... my first post after being a lurker for ages was in the Time thread back on page 251. Does that make me eligible?

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
udscbt wrote:
histrion wrote:

Must be the former, because the latter is clearly correct: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_while_John_had_had_had_had_had_had_had_had_had_had_had_a_better_effect_on_the_teacher

"Bill, where John had "had", had "had had". "Had had" had had the teacher's approval." is grammatically correct and uses, where histron had eleven "had"'s, the nine "had"'s veryslightlygeeky had. Thus, "Bill, where John had "had", had "had had". "Had had" had had the teacher's approval" is the correct solution to veryslightlygeeky's puzzle, where histron's is not.
Last edited by Elmach on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

I'm afraid that, since your first post was in the Externalities thread, you're not eligible for Cardinalship. You could, however, become a bishop, but as I said earlier I won't nominate new bishops today.

D'oh!

I'm sorry, but I hope you will continue waiting with us Timewaiters.

What other choice do I have? What choice do any of us have but to wait?

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

descor

Postby descor » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

Elmach wrote:
AionArap wrote:
udscbt wrote:
histrion wrote:

"Bill, where John had "had", had "had had". "Had had" had had the teacher's approval" is grammatically correct and uses, where histron had eleven "had"'s, the nine "had"'s veryslightlygeeky had. Thus, "Bill, where John had "had", had "had had". "Had had" had had the teacher's approval" is the correct solution to veryslightlygeeky's puzzle, where histron's is not.

What about:
Bill, where John had had "had", had "had had". "Had had" had the teacher's approval

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”