1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Exodies

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:41 am UTC

mojacardave wrote:
mscha wrote:
mojacardave wrote:* Is there a way of posting prettier links in the forum? I'd like a BBCode equivalent of the HTML:

Code: Select all

<A HREF='http://...'>Link</A>

[url=http://whatever]whatever[/url]

Thank you!

Is there a reason for the existence of BBCode rather than restricted HTML? It seems perverse.
I mean, we type:

and a big fuck-off computer somewhere turns it into:

<A HREF='http://whatever'>whatever</A>

Is this a sensible use of electricity?
Last edited by Exodies on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:46 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:44 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
mscha wrote:
mojacardave wrote:* Is there a way of posting prettier links in the forum? I'd like a BBCode equivalent of the HTML:

Thank you!

Is there a reason for the existence of BBCode rather than restricted HTML? It seems perverse.

Nothing wrong with a bit of random perversity.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:45 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
veryslightlygeeky wrote:My guess:
Spoiler:
projector and screen.

Folks seem to be assuming that the world is either 2-D or 3-D. This may not be the case here - I think Megan's dike is in a 2-D portion, with the arches being in a 3-D portion. If my guess is correct then the poles and box are 3(or more)-D.
----
I am so glad that we are still not over-analysing this.

This is good. Please add it to the list of topics Randall the Magnificant should address in his weekly 'What If' sermon - how does a 3d/2d world boundary look like.
I'm reminded of a cut out pair of no-d specs included in one of Frank Zappa's albums (in case you don't have access to a record shop, the lenses were cardboard (un-cut-out)).

And here's your homwork for tomorrow's lessons: A. Square: Flatland (1884) Blackwell/Oxford
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:47 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
Spoiler:
projector and screen.

Folks seem to be assuming that the world is either 2-D or 3-D. This may not be the case here - I think Megan's dike is in a 2-D portion, with the arches being in a 3-D portion. If my guess is correct then the poles and box are 3(or more)-D.
----

This is good. Please add it to the list of topics Randall the Magnificant should address in his weekly 'What If' sermon - how does a 3d/2d world boundary look like.
I'm reminded of a cut out pair of no-d specs included in one of Frank Zappa's albums (in case you don't have access to a record shop, the lenses were cardboard (un-cut-out)).

Much like the Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril-Sensitive Sunglasses I got with the HItchhiker's Guide game I got for the ol' Apple IIc, once upon a time.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:51 am UTC

Exodies wrote:Is this a sensible use of electricity?

If you want sensible, you're going to have to look somewhere else.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:53 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
mscha wrote:

Thank you!

I mean, we type:

I suspect that (coding wise) it's easier to detect and remove all HTML tags, than to try to restrict the set. There are so many different ways of writing HTML that it must be easier to strip every tag out, and start again with a custom created limited set. Personally I prefer using something like CKEditor, and providing a rich text box for user input, but there's always somebody who'll try to exploit HTML vulnerabilities.
Last edited by mojacardave on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:58 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:54 am UTC

Hmmm, I see Megan's now adding more planks to her platform.

Maybe Megan is running for political office... Maybe this is all a metaphor for the role of government in modern society...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:56 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
Exodies wrote:
Spoiler:
projector and screen.

----

Much like the Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril-Sensitive Sunglasses I got with the HItchhiker's Guide game I got for the ol' Apple IIc, once upon a time.

Bit of out-of-Time gossip: I ordered some photochromatic jazz sunglasses today. They become more translucent the more light there is. It's like a hipness amplifier.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:56 am UTC

azule wrote:Silly Megan, you need help.

HAL9000 wrote:Regardless, a knightly organization would be fun. Perhaps the Knight Watchers?

Wait Watchers. :D

But, The Knights Temporal was the best suggestion.

<snip>

I agree. If we're voting. Or if anyone's tabulating votes. Or if anyone cares...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
Exodies wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
mscha wrote:

Thank you!

I mean, we type:

I suspect that (coding wise) it's easier to detect and remove all HTML tags, than to try to restrict the set. There are so many different ways of writing HTML that it must be easier to strip every tag out, and start again with a custom created limited set. Personally I prefer using something like CKEditor, and providing a rich text box for user input, but there's always somebody who'll try to exploit HTML vulnerabilities.

Fiddlesticks. It's because code reuse is anathema to all programmers.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:Bit of out-of-Time gossip: I ordered some photochromatic jazz sunglasses today. They become more translucent the more light there is. It's like a hipness amplifier.

It may be that I've missed the joke, but based on my understanding of what translucent means, 'more translucent' surely doesn't make sense.
More transparent or more opaque, sure, but translucent is somewhere in the middle...

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

The Sleepless Knights? Just putting it out there.

Also, since peace has broken out between nounists and verbists, I put it to the forum that "Watch" in "Knights Watch" has the role of adjective, as is the case in other such constructions like "Lords Lieutenant" "Director General" etc. The unusual (for English) position probably has something to do with Norman French.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:02 pm UTC

astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:04 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:The Sleepless Knights?

That's clever enough to get my vote!

benjaminswill

Postby benjaminswill » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:04 pm UTC

Wait for it...

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:04 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
Exodies wrote:Bit of out-of-Time gossip: I ordered some photochromatic jazz sunglasses today. They become more translucent the more light there is. It's like a hipness amplifier.

It may be that I've missed the joke, but based on my understanding of what translucent means, 'more translucent' surely doesn't make sense.
More transparent or more opaque, sure, but translucent is somewhere in the middle...

But the hipness amplifier does depend on the translucency, I think. Although I would think the degree of hipness is inversely proportional to the amount of light -- Jazz is much more hip in a dark, smoky club than on a bright, sunny beach...

elementropy

Postby elementropy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:05 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:

One wears more-translucent glasses with a shirt sized extra-medium.
- quoth Elementropy, Time Bandit, TimeWaiter Liturgist, Oxford Comma, and
A Greek Omelette with Fries and Tomato Juice, Hold-the-toast-please in the Order of Breakfast

Tempus fugit quasi sagita; muscas fructibus arieram volunt...

BlitzGirl: welcome to the future!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:05 pm UTC

As Lord High Inquisitor(I declared myself several pages ago, and nobody objected, so I'm keeping it), I've been wondering...

Should I apply to be a cardinal? I am eligable. However, If I am ordained in one of the churches, then I wouldn't be able to punish members of other churches with ridiculous punishments for whatever I or anyone else arbitrarily decides is heresy.

On the other hand, I'd be a Cardinal.

also, sleepless Knights doesn't work. nobody here sleeps, we coma.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:07 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:

I'm not sure if sense is the overriding principal, but OED:
Through which light passes: = transparent adj.
1607 E. Topsell Hist. Fovre-footed Beastes 195 The eie of man is translucent, and containeth in it a horny substance.
1637 Milton Comus 861 Sabrina fair,..sitting Under the glassie, cool, translucent wave.
1725 E. Fenton in Pope et al. tr. Homer Odyssey I. i. 180 Replenish'd from the cool, translucent springs.
1867 G. H. Lewes Hist. Philos. (ed. 3) I. 326 Water, air, and other bodies which are translucent.
fig.
1891 A. C. Swinburne Jrnl. Sir W. Scott in Stud. Prose & Poetry (1894) 23 The translucent treachery of such an impious imposture.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:07 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:Also, since peace has broken out between nounists and verbists, I put it to the forum that "Watch" in "Knights Watch" has the role of adjective, as is the case in other such constructions like "Lords Lieutenant" "Director General" etc. The unusual (for English) position probably has something to do with Norman French.

You know, it really wasn't that long ago that I linked to the Wikipedia article on apposition.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

kryton

Postby kryton » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:08 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
KarMann wrote:
kryton wrote:I tend to turn to the greats of ScienceFiction for such things as a gender neutral pronoun, which several of my favorites did in fact adopt "ze" as that very thing.
"ze wants to go to the mall and get a new jacket for ze's upcoming interview so that ze can make zer car payment."

You've used "ze's" and "zer" to fill the same role there. I think I've usually seen "zir" for the possessive/genitive, but it might have been "zer".

The problem with gender neutral pronouns like 'ze', is that they sound stupid. Particular ones that rely on XtremeKoolLetterz. Maybe acceptable for use in an achingly ...Hold on, I think I swallowed a gerbil. Okay. What was I saying? online forum, but can you imagine actually speaking the words? How about using 'ze' in a sentence to somebody in an older generation? 'They' and 'their' aren't perfect substitutes, but they're acceptable and far less awkward to use.

Also, it definitely has to be zir. 'zer' is too reminiscent of 'her' which spoils the neutrality.

---

BTW: Is there a way of posting prettier links in the forum? I'd like a BBCode equivalent of the HTML:

EDIT: solved and fixed post

I never claimed to be original, just a prolific plagiarizer.
Yeah, it sounds too much like a corny accent from a bad "B" movie
Ve Have vays ov making you taulk, you vill given uz ze microfilmen or ve vill shoot you!

So how about a contest to come up with our own gender neutral pronoun?
1298 and counting

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:11 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
mojacardave wrote:

But the hipness amplifier does depend on the translucency, I think. Although I would think the degree of hipness is inversely proportional to the amount of light -- Jazz is much more hip in a dark, smoky club than on a bright, sunny beach...

Translucency isn't just a matter of being not-entirely-transparent, not-entirely-opaque, though. It also means it scatters the light, a property generally considered undesirable in eyewear, aside from certain special exceptions such as the aforementioned Peril-Sensitive ones.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:11 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:also, sleepless Knights doesn't work. nobody here sleeps, we coma.

That surely makes sleepless work better?
Last edited by mojacardave on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:11 pm UTC

kryton wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
KarMann wrote:
kryton wrote:I tend to turn to the greats of ScienceFiction for such things as a gender neutral pronoun, which several of my favorites did in fact adopt "ze" as that very thing.
"ze wants to go to the mall and get a new jacket for ze's upcoming interview so that ze can make zer car payment."

You've used "ze's" and "zer" to fill the same role there. I think I've usually seen "zir" for the possessive/genitive, but it might have been "zer".

The problem with gender neutral pronouns like 'ze', is that they sound stupid. Particular ones that rely on XtremeKoolLetterz. Maybe acceptable for use in an achingly ...Hold on, I think I swallowed a gerbil. Okay. What was I saying? online forum, but can you imagine actually speaking the words? How about using 'ze' in a sentence to somebody in an older generation? 'They' and 'their' aren't perfect substitutes, but they're acceptable and far less awkward to use.

Also, it definitely has to be zir. 'zer' is too reminiscent of 'her' which spoils the neutrality.

---

BTW: Is there a way of posting prettier links in the forum? I'd like a BBCode equivalent of the HTML:

Ve Have vays ov making you taulk, you vill given uz ze microfilmen or ve vill shoot you!

My suggestion: He and Her (discard She and His oh, and Him)

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:18 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
Dracomax wrote:also, sleepless Knights doesn't work. nobody here sleeps, we coma.

That surely makes sleepless work better?

Indeed. And just after I read that, a song called 'No Rest for the Weary' came up on my iPod which started by mentioning lines in the sand, and went on to mention hourglasses, time drifting past, and greyness and dark. Another one for the hymn book.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

histrion

Postby histrion » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:21 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
Valiant Cookie wrote:He may be slow, but it was Cueball that initiated the molding of the mound into the recursive model.

I hypothesize that Megan is the representative of Time, and Cueball the representative of Space. Just as Cueball made it so that scene would repeat itself forever, so is Megan constructing the structure and sea wall so that time will never end. As long as they work together the universe goes on, but if they were to get into an arguement, wait for it...

That's pretty potent stuff you're smoking

I figured VC was reading One Hundred Years of Solitude.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:22 pm UTC

kryton wrote:So how about a contest to come up with our own gender neutral pronoun?

he, she, E
him, her, Em
his, hers, Es

Some Ways to Time

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:22 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
kryton wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
KarMann wrote:

---

My suggestion: He and Her (discard She and His oh, and Him)

We could go the acronymic route...

"Diminutive 'Other', Non-Genderistic" (DONG)

EDIT: Added "could" to "We could go..." It sounded too much like a Tarzan command without it...
Last edited by StratPlayer on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

kryton

Postby kryton » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:22 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
mojacardave wrote:

Translucency isn't just a matter of being not-entirely-transparent, not-entirely-opaque, though. It also means it scatters the light, a property generally considered undesirable in eyewear, aside from certain special exceptions such as the aforementioned Peril-Sensitive ones.

Transparent = clear, of which sunglasses are clearly not clear. Remember how Transparent Aluminum looks?
1298 and counting

histrion

Postby histrion » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:26 pm UTC

[quote="kryton"So how about a contest to come up with our own gender neutral pronoun?[/quote]

Dang it, I just did that a year ago (came up with my own set) but I think I threw that piece of paper away a couple of months ago.

I seem to recall most or all of them started with the letter 'q' (sans 'u,' so pronounced like a 'k').

I think it was something like this:

He / She / Qe
Her / Him / Quim (so as not to sound like the name "Kim")
Hers / His / Qis
Herself / Himself / Quimself
Last edited by histrion on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:28 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

See the FAQ, to use it in a sentence. :wink:

Alternatively, just hovering your cursor over the URL button in the post editor will tell you the same thing :wink:
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

kryton wrote:
KarMann wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
mojacardave wrote:

Transparent = clear, of which sunglasses are clearly not clear. Remember how Transparent Aluminum looks?

A man walks into a bar.
Ouch.
It was an aluminium bar.
Didn't see that.

EDIT: drat, this is my 100th post. Need to post something inane. Buggar. How will anyone tell?
Last edited by Exodies on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:32 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
mscha wrote:

Alternatively, just hovering your cursor over the URL button in the post editor will tell you the same thing :wink:

Yes, but. Will it tell you long enough to read it? And I've tried hovering on my iPad; doesn't work.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:32 pm UTC

histrion wrote:Her / Him / Quim (so as not to sound like the name "Kim")

Um, because a slang term for vagina is much better than sounding like a person's name? :wink:

htom

Postby htom » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:39 pm UTC

SBN wrote:

The computer cycles keep cycling, they can do this, or they can busy-wait. Your call.

There are times when I use Spivak Pronouns; the rare comments about their use are spelling corrections, indicating the commenter didn't understand.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:40 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
Exodies wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
mscha wrote:

Thank you!

I mean, we type:

I think the simple answer is that html is waaaaay to easy to exploit. Things would fall apart pretty quick, since there's virtually no way to create an all encompassing filter to keep all the "bad" html out.

Many messages boards and forums used to allow virtually unrestricted use of html. One of the more entertaining exploits I've seen people use is:
Including a strategically placed unclosed html tag so that everything below your post vanishes, including the reply field.. sometimes followed up by spoofing the actual reply box/form with a custom written dialog that looks identical to the original. Then when someone tries to respond to the first post it does something .. different.. than they expect it to.

Of course the internet was a much simpler place back then.
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

histrion

Postby histrion » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:41 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
histrion wrote:Her / Him / Quim (so as not to sound like the name "Kim")

Um, because a slang term for vagina is much better than sounding like a person's name? :wink:

Seriously? I have *never* heard that term before.

Obviously Quir would have problems of its own.

Qim or Qir. Preference?

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:41 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
AionArap wrote:
mscha wrote:

Yes, but. Will it tell you long enough to read it? And I've tried hovering on my iPad; doesn't work.

What? Your iPad doesn't hover? Pffft.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:45 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
Exodies wrote:
AionArap wrote:
mscha wrote:

What? Your iPad doesn't hover? Pffft.

Yep, sad but true, it's 2013, and I still don't have my hoverboard, or my flying car. :cry:
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

histrion

Postby histrion » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:47 pm UTC

htom wrote:
SBN wrote:

The computer cycles keep cycling, they can do this, or they can busy-wait. Your call.

There are times when I use Spivak Pronouns; the rare comments about their use are spelling corrections, indicating the commenter didn't understand.

Spoken Spivak pronouns sound too much like Cockney hes and hims to me.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”