1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

kryton

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kryton » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
jolleychris wrote:So short of reading the last 200 or so pages, what have I missed here?
Did I miss anything revolutionary? I mean besides the fact that when last I looked, a surprisingly comprehensive emerging religion seemed to have formed around this comic... I was going to put time aside make my own holy trebuchet and everything.

Well, the religion split into 2 +1 different sects, formed an inquisition, and is in the process of trying to form a knighthood(I prefer Knights Temporal or Knights(') Watch, myself)

Also, trebuchet are still holy but there is a holy acronym as well.

But who is custodian of the holy handgrenade?
1298 and counting

kryton

Postby kryton » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:13 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Flado wrote:
kryton wrote:Oh and "My parents' siblings" is genderless, as is "my siblings' kids" which is doubly genderlessless.

ADD: And "My parents' siblings' kids" = my cousins is then triply genderlesslessless?

wasn't cousins already sufficiently genderless?

So My parent's sibling's kid's cousin's becomes quintuplly genderlesslesslesslessless
1298 and counting

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:14 pm UTC

kryton wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Flado wrote:
kryton wrote:Oh and "My parents' siblings" is genderless, as is "my siblings' kids" which is doubly genderlessless.

ADD: And "My parents' siblings' kids" = my cousins is then triply genderlesslessless?

So My parent's sibling's kid's cousin's becomes quintuplly genderlesslesslesslessless

wasn't "me" already sufficiently genderless?
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

jolleychris wrote:So short of reading the last 200 or so pages, what have I missed here?
Did I miss anything revolutionary? I mean besides the fact that when last I looked, a surprisingly comprehensive emerging religion seemed to have formed around this comic... I was going to put time aside make my own holy trebuchet and everything.

Short of reading everything, you've missed nothing. So get on with it.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

patzer wrote:
kryton wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Flado wrote:

Well, it could be your brother, sister, or a third parent's siblings children.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Foarm

Postby Foarm » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

kryton wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

Well, the religion split into 2 +1 different sects, formed an inquisition, and is in the process of trying to form a knighthood(I prefer Knights Temporal or Knights(') Watch, myself)

But who is custodian of the holy handgrenade?

Shouldn't that be the Worm?

Edit: This would make an awesome Worms landscape...
squonk wrote:Looks like you grossly underestimated the passing of time.

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:34 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
kryton wrote:The south never agreed that 'you' as both singular and plural worked.
- "You, go over there"
> "just me or both of us?"
- "I meant y'all go over there"
> "oh, we can do that."

Though I hear reports that "y'all" is now being used as both singular and plural in some places.

How long until "all y'all" follows suit?

In high school, I briefly knew a guy from the US South (though I think he'd ended up in Canada by way of New York). He'd use "y'all" for the singular. We'd be playing baseball, I'd be in right field or someplace, and he'd shout "Y'all! This heah's a heavy hittah, play deep!" This would have been 35 years or so ago.

Valiant Cookie wrote:He may be slow, but it was Cueball that initiated the molding of the mound into the recursive model.

I hypothesize that Megan is the representative of Time, and Cueball the representative of Space. Just as Cueball made it so that scene would repeat itself forever, so is Megan constructing the structure and sea wall so that time will never end. As long as they work together the universe goes on, but if they were to get into an arguement, wait for it...

You're saying we should beware a rift in the Space-Time continuum?
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:37 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
kryton wrote:The south never agreed that 'you' as both singular and plural worked.
- "You, go over there"
> "oh, we can do that."

Though I hear reports that "y'all" is now being used as both singular and plural in some places.

In high school, I briefly knew a guy from the US South (though I think he'd ended up in Canada by way of New York). He'd use "y'all" for the singular. We'd be playing baseball, I'd be in right field or someplace, and he'd shout "Y'all! This heah's a heavy hittah, play deep!" This would have been 35 years or so ago.

Valiant Cookie wrote:He may be slow, but it was Cueball that initiated the molding of the mound into the recursive model.

I hypothesize that Megan is the representative of Time, and Cueball the representative of Space. Just as Cueball made it so that scene would repeat itself forever, so is Megan constructing the structure and sea wall so that time will never end. As long as they work together the universe goes on, but if they were to get into an arguement, wait for it...

We could power a TARDIS with that...
“have i gone mad?

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
partingLance wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
- "You, go over there"
> "oh, we can do that."

We're bringing that up again? Sheesh, this thread is getting a little reTARDISed...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:40 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
partingLance wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
- "You, go over there"
> "oh, we can do that."

We're bringing that up again? Sheesh, this thread is getting a little reTARDISed...

as long as it isn't in Cardiff. that would be a recipe for trouble.
“have i gone mad?

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:43 pm UTC

patzer wrote:
kryton wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Flado wrote:

So My parent's sibling's kid's cousin'*s** becomes quintuplly genderlesslesslesslessless

Ah, but you see, my parent's sibling's kid's cousin is not necessarily me. W'all1 kind of form a class with respect to the "my parent's sibling's kid's cousin" relation. The class is somewhat closed, as new members cannot appear easily, but must be made by specific elements strongly outside2 of the class, specifically my parents and my parents' siblings, unless of course they are genderless in which case it is strongly closed and self-contained.
Besides, me not genderless, is I now?

* What has that apostrophe lost there?
** Or the s, for that matter?
1 See what I did here?
2 In most cultures and in recent times, at least
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:44 pm UTC

Never mind the TARDIS, has anyone posted this yet?

"Einstein" on Farscape

If so, tough. It kicked off what is still one of my favourite sequences in an already brilliant show.

EDIT:

elementropy wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
Exodies wrote:Bit of out-of-Time gossip: I ordered some photochromatic jazz sunglasses today. They become more translucent the more light there is. It's like a hipness amplifier.

It may be that I've missed the joke, but based on my understanding of what translucent means, 'more translucent' surely doesn't make sense.
More transparent or more opaque, sure, but translucent is somewhere in the middle...

One wears more-translucent glasses with a shirt sized extra-medium.

I once overheard someone describing my country as "very mediocre." I was tempted to butt in with "well geez, that's something, isn't it?"
Last edited by partingLance on Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:44 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
partingLance wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
- "You, go over there"
> "oh, we can do that."

Although... It does have a castle: http://www.cardiffcastle.com/
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:

Add me as another in support of Knights Temporal. Sounds enough like 'templar' while still pertaining to Time.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

kryton

Postby kryton » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:53 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
partingLance wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
- "You, go over there"
> "oh, we can do that."

Although... It does have a castle: http://www.cardiffcastle.com/

perhaps Cueball and Megan are attempting to construct a TARDIS around the castle to take it out of time/space that the rising caffinatedbabysemencoffeecancerdandrufcrudeoil threatens?
1298 and counting

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

The little white box is apparently not a toolbox, since it wasn't needed to bolt the second set of poles. So, what is it?
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Valiant Cookie

Postby Valiant Cookie » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:06 pm UTC

Completion of the fabrication era seems to draw near. Will the era of the box answer some of our questions, or will it remain docile?
Is it time? Yes.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

mscha wrote:The little white box is apparently not a toolbox, since it wasn't needed to bolt the second set of poles. So, what is it?

Just some box that Megan borrowed from her friend Pandora. I'm sure nothing bad will come of it...

EDIT: ...and just to be clear, when I allude to Pandora's box, it is not another quim reference.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

Valiant Cookie wrote:Completion of the fabrication era seems to draw near. Will the era of the box answer some of our questions, or will it remain docile?

Hey! No predictive naming! It could be the Age of Raptors for all we know.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

mewilliamson

Postby mewilliamson » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:22 pm UTC

mscha wrote:The little white box is apparently not a toolbox, since it wasn't needed to bolt the second set of poles. So, what is it?

no, she's still getting the crosspiece on top of the poles. the sitting on the crosspiece securing it is still in the futuretimes.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

mewilliamson wrote:

no, she's still getting the crosspiece on top of the poles. the sitting on the crosspiece securing it is still in the futuretimes.

But, surely if she was going to need it for this crosspiece she would have brought it down before moving the ladder.

I thought she brought in two boxes anyway.

Edit: Frames 432 and 443 of The Book of Aubron.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Valiant Cookie

Postby Valiant Cookie » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:28 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Valiant Cookie wrote:Completion of the fabrication era seems to draw near. Will the era of the box answer some of our questions, or will it remain docile?

Raptors!? Don't be ridiculous. What is this, the land before time?
Is it time? Yes.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:32 pm UTC

That little bump/tower she added in 500-502 was added to the model way back in 382. At the time it was speculated that Cueball was adding himself. So, either Megan didn't know what that little bump was supposed to be and so added it to the larger version, or they've been planning this out to some degree.

kryton

Postby kryton » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:35 pm UTC

mewilliamson wrote:

Only NewPix will tell.....
1298 and counting

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

(Very) long Time lurker here, finally coaxing into registering..
I would like to take this opportunity to (informally) put in my formal request for induction into the Order of the Knights Temporal.

kryton

Postby kryton » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:That little bump/tower she added in 500-502 was added to the model way back in 382. At the time it was speculated that Cueball was adding himself. So, either Megan didn't know what that little bump was supposed to be and so added it to the larger version, or they've been planning this out to some degree.

No, I think that's the tower with the flag on it, the little bump she just added is not on the model.
1298 and counting

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:56 pm UTC

kryton wrote:
Whizbang wrote:That little bump/tower she added in 500-502 was added to the model way back in 382. At the time it was speculated that Cueball was adding himself. So, either Megan didn't know what that little bump was supposed to be and so added it to the larger version, or they've been planning this out to some degree.

No, I think that's the tower with the flag on it, the little bump she just added is not on the model.

Went back and watched. You are right. I guess I just get excited or something.

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:

Quite right (the proscription on predictive naming, that's to say). Time is like Life*; it can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived (or at least Waited for) forwards.

* Whence, presumably, Time-Life.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
mewilliamson wrote:

But, surely if she was going to need it for this crosspiece she would have brought it down before moving the ladder.

I thought she brought in two boxes anyway.

Edit: Frames 432 and 443 of The Book of Aubron.

The two boxes are different. One has handles at each end near the top, the other had to be held at the bottom. When she fixed the first platform in place a couple of pixels were removed from poking out of the box.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

edo

Postby edo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

B/D/Gong

Careful Megan!
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

histrion

Postby histrion » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

I thought the little box was actually a bucket that she used to pour something around the base of the posts.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

edo wrote:
Spoiler:

B/D/Gong

Careful Megan!

Oooohhh, that ladder's going to fall and she's going to be left clinging. Good thing Cueball's on his way back to rescue laugh at her...

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

Nah, she's just sitting there dangling her feet, (gasp) WAITING FOR IT! The Second Coming? Whose?
ADD: She's one of us, no?
Last edited by Flado on Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

Wow, looking back at the umwelt thread is so weird now.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

I vote for the name "Order of the Knights Temporal" also. Should we make a decision soon?
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

tman2nd wrote:I vote for the name "Order of the Knights Temporal" also. Should we make a decision soon?

I think we should wait for it...
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
tman2nd wrote:I vote for the name "Order of the Knights Temporal" also. Should we make a decision soon?

We'll need to name ourselves eventually, and it's best to do so before we grow in numbers.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:

We'll need to name ourselves eventually, and it's best to do so before we grow in numbers.

I already voted for the "Knights Temporal" also. While I would qualify for Cardinalship (having delurked to join the Time thread and having only posted in here), I just don't that kind of cardinal urge needed for the job.

But I could be a hard daze Knight, for sure!

edo

Postby edo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

B/D/Gong
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”