1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Magdiragdag

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Magdiragdag » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

Is that waving or a thumbs up?
I wait for it, therefore I am.

descor

Postby descor » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o20d7fb8r8hlu1/2013-04-10%2017.47.03.jpg

So I've been dragged into the Outside today, but I tried to make up for it. (I'm not an Iceist, but there was no sand to hand!)

Edit: not sure why the image isn't appearing on my PC, but I've put a link as well.
Last edited by descor on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:17 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:06 pm UTC

I awake!

You were all so caught up in your pronoun discussions that you missed an important piece of quest information from Blitzgirl:

BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 203 out of 286 pages.
Second Megan Period. NP 291.

I have encountered a message from the future! It reads thus:
Smithers wrote:Dear BlitzGirl,
after all of your messages into the future, I felt compelled to reply by sending one into the past. I hope this message finds you well and that your quest continues strong.

Godspeed,
Smithers

It is the first post I have encountered that references my Quest; through the magic of edits, it pre-dates even my own signposts to myself. It is a beacon as I wade across the sea/not-sea of posts electing the Pope of the One True Comic. All is not lost. There is hope yet for me, future-dwellers (or rather, those who dwell in the present Time of this thread, while I stalk through its past)! One day, if all bodes well, I shall meet you among the living newpages. Until then, I journey onward!

She slowly but surely catches up. We should prepare a ceremony for when she finally reaches us, in the future!

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

Well, we already seem to have at least 3 distinct factions - I propose that the Knights Temporal exist as the military arm of the Eastern Unorthodox Timewaiters (given that it is the correct one).
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:I awake!

You were all so caught up in your pronoun discussions that you missed an important piece of quest information from Blitzgirl:

after all of your messages into the future, I felt compelled to reply by sending one into the past. I hope this message finds you well and that your quest continues strong.

Godspeed,
Smithers

It is the first post I have encountered that references my Quest; through the magic of edits, it pre-dates even my own signposts to myself. It is a beacon as I wade across the sea/not-sea of posts electing the Pope of the One True Comic. All is not lost. There is hope yet for me, future-dwellers (or rather, those who dwell in the present Time of this thread, while I stalk through its past)! One day, if all bodes well, I shall meet you among the living newpages. Until then, I journey onward!

She slowly but surely catches up. We should prepare a ceremony for when she finally reaches us, in the future!

You are right! If Helper is still AWOL, I propose we make BlitzGirl the new Pope upon her arrival!
Last edited by StratPlayer on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
tman2nd wrote:I vote for the name "Order of the Knights Temporal" also. Should we make a decision soon?

I think we should wait for it...

We'll need to name ourselves eventually, and it's best to do so before we grow in numbers.

I already voted for the "Knights Temporal" also. While I would qualify for Cardinalship (having delurked to join the Time thread and having only posted in here), I just don't that kind of cardinal urge needed for the job.

But I could be a hard daze Knight, for sure!

Knighthood and cardinalship should be mutually exclusive anyways. Devotion to Time and devotion to its protection are different things.
EDIT: I second StratPlayer's proposition.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:

Godspeed,
Smithers

You are right! If Helper is still AWOL, I propose we make BlitzGirl the new Pope upon her arrival!

Which then leads to the question: Is "Pope" a genderless title, or do we need to come up with an alternative?
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:15 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
tman2nd wrote:I vote for the name "Order of the Knights Temporal" also. Should we make a decision soon?

I think we should wait for it...

We'll need to name ourselves eventually, and it's best to do so before we grow in numbers.

I already voted for the "Knights Temporal" also. While I would qualify for Cardinalship (having delurked to join the Time thread and having only posted in here), I just don't that kind of cardinal urge needed for the job.

But I could be a hard daze Knight, for sure!

Knighthood and cardinalship should be mutually exclusive anyways. Devotion to Time and devotion to its protection are different things.
EDIT: I second StratPlayer's proposition.

Absolutely. I feel qualified for Knighthood. I would defend Time with my all!!!* As a Knight Temporal, I vow to be both a Defender Of Randall's Knowledge (DORK) and a Defender Of NewPix Greatness (DONG)!

*Provided it doesn't involve anything more than posting onto this thread from the safety of my comfy chair...**
**Edited to eliminate redundant "Safety" redundancy***
***But then, you can't have too much safety -- 'Safety First' I always say.++
++Well, not always, but when appropriate...+++
+++Actually, sometimes I'm willing to even take that motto into fierce action!*
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

I think I'll just start my own lodge of Sandmasons. If anyone wants to join, don't tell me, it's all very hush-hush.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:But I could be a hard daze Knight, for sure!

So, guys, tell me, chell we curry that wait..?

edo

Postby edo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:24 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Godspeed,
Smithers

Which then leads to the question: Is "Pope" a genderless title, or do we need to come up with an alternative?

Speaking as an outsider (to the religion, not an "Outsider"), since there hasn't been a female Pope, it's hard to tell. Would they be called a Mome? If a Mome and a Pope owned a shop, would it be a Mome and Pope shop?

The if the knights are of the Eastern church, they will be welcomed by the Western Paradox Church, (who will no doubt shun them.)

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:25 pm UTC

SinusPi wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:But I could be a hard daze Knight, for sure!

So, guys, tell me, chell we curry that wait..?

Or just let "IT" be?

htom

Postby htom » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:26 pm UTC

Godspeed,
Smithers

Yes! A ceremony is definitely called for, and a custom title. "Omnilector of Time" perhaps.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

edo wrote:
Febrion wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Godspeed,
Smithers

Speaking as an outsider (to the religion, not an "Outsider"), since there hasn't been a female Pope, it's hard to tell. Would they be called a Mome? If a Mome and a Pope owned a shop, would it be a Mome and Pope shop?

The if the knights are of the Eastern church, they will be welcomed by the Western Paradox Church, (who will no doubt shun them.)

Au contraire, a quick google search for "female pope" reveals Pope Joan, who may or may not be fictional but nevertheless proves that Pope is a genderless title.

Edit: Just read part of the actual article. Exposed by giving birth while riding horseback? Wouldn't the, you know, lump in her abdominal section have given her away months before that?
Last edited by ChronosDragon on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:29 pm UTC

edo wrote:The if the knights are of the Eastern church, they will be welcomed by the Western Paradox Church, (who will no doubt shun them.)

The two churches are Eastern Unorthodox and Western Paradox, correct?
Also, Eastern Unorthodox is the one that counts buffygirl and Helper among their members, yes?
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:30 pm UTC

I suspect that when Blitzgirl arrives, we'll hear this,"the Traveller has come! Choose and perish!"
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:I suspect that when Blitzgirl arrives, we'll hear this,"the Traveller has come! Choose and perish!"

If BlizGirl is Gozer the Destructor...

But what if she's more like this Traveller?

Last edited by StratPlayer on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:33 pm UTC

htom wrote:

Godspeed,
Smithers

Yes! A ceremony is definitely called for, and a custom title. "Omnilector of Time" perhaps.

Wasn't this already covered almost 30 pages ago?

AionArap wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 149 out of 259 pages.
Attack of the Trebuchet. NP 222.

I have coma'ed twice since I last traveled the thread of Time, and the lack of chaos in my brain concerns me. Clearly I have been absent too long. Luckily my path now winds through posts affected by the Madness, as the Sandcastle is bombarded by the First Trebuchet. I suddenly desire to Capitalize as many Mundane Words as is Humanly Possible. It shall be All Too Easy to slip back into the Semen/Coffee River/Sea that is This Thread.

Also, THIS:
bouer wrote:Who needs their sanity. Read it all

Sanity Shmanity, this girl is an absolute trooper.
If When she finally catches up to the present Time I propose she be given an honorary cardinalship for sheer devoutness and perseverance.

Go go fellow Time traveller.

I here-by create the post of cardinal tempus viator which shall be reserved for BlitzGirl for when she catches up to this point in the thread

Seems appropriate.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:35 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:I suspect that when Blitzgirl arrives, we'll hear this,"the Traveller has come! Choose and perish!"

But what about this Traveller?

Themesong isn't catchy enough. no words to sing, all that. nice lead in at the beginning, though.
“have i gone mad?

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:38 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
htom wrote:

Godspeed,
Smithers

AionArap wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
AionArap wrote:

I have coma'ed twice since I last traveled the thread of Time, and the lack of chaos in my brain concerns me. Clearly I have been absent too long. Luckily my path now winds through posts affected by the Madness, as the Sandcastle is bombarded by the First Trebuchet. I suddenly desire to Capitalize as many Mundane Words as is Humanly Possible. It shall be All Too Easy to slip back into the Semen/Coffee River/Sea that is This Thread.

Also, THIS:

If When she finally catches up to the present Time I propose she be given an honorary cardinalship for sheer devoutness and perseverance.

I here-by create the post of cardinal tempus viator which shall be reserved for BlitzGirl for when she catches up to this point in the thread

Seems appropriate.

Perfect. She's already a Cardinal. Promotion to Pope is just a minor bump in pay grade.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:50 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
AionArap wrote:
htom wrote:

Godspeed,
Smithers

AionArap wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
AionArap wrote:

Also, THIS:

Seems appropriate.

Perfect. She's already a Cardinal. Promotion to Pope is just a minor bump in pay grade.

Wait what? We're paying these religious nutjobs now? Where do I sign up for a title of my own?

BA-DA-BING!!!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:53 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:<snip>

Themesong isn't catchy enough. no words to sing, all that. nice lead in at the beginning, though.

That is true. Maybe someone could re-write it. Do you know anyone? Who you gonna call???

AAAANNNDDD....

In celebration of my 100th post:

"Titty-Ca-Ca-Weiner-Poo-Pooh!!!!!*"

*Also know as the intestinal distress one suffers after eating a stale hot-dog from a cart vendor at that mountain lake in Peru.**

**See reference here: Lake Titicaca

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:55 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Perfect. She's already a Cardinal. Promotion to Pope is just a minor bump in pay grade.

Wait what? We're paying these religious nutjobs now? Where do I sign up for a title of my own?

Pope has triple the salary of a Cardinal.
doesn't mean we're paying them anything*
* 0 x 3 = still 0

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Perfect. She's already a Cardinal. Promotion to Pope is just a minor bump in pay grade.

* 0 x 3 = still 0

Ahh, good point. I was hoping for some sorely needed income for my newly started Sandmason lodge.
Oh well, never mind then...

Btw StratPlayer, remember Vinnie? I thought you said he retired? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3733295/

BA-DA-BING!!!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:07 pm UTC

I hereby spawn a new sect; we call ourselves the Thyme Waiters.

Having misinterpreted the old teachings, we choose to wait for it by serving culinary delights such as Boeuf Bourguignon and Carbonnade Flamande to our grateful guests. Those who join me can look forward to the promise of an always-full stomach and a newfound expertise in creating Bouquet Garni.

I proclaim myself pope, and look forward to eating and waiting with you.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:

* 0 x 3 = still 0

Ahh, good point. I was hoping for some sorely needed income for my newly started Sandmason lodge.

Btw StratPlayer, remember Vinnie? I thought you said he retired? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3733295/

Aren't secret societies supposed to have dues?

Also, just wait until you have power behind the scenes. Then you won't need money.
“have i gone mad?

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:

* 0 x 3 = still 0

Well, yeah, that's Vinnie III (or "Vinne 'da t'ird"). It was Vinne II that worked all those long hours schleppin' his schlong, putting money aside to buy the strip club, to give his kid the chance to be the "real" actor...

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

She seems to be indicating the box. Perhaps she wants Cueball to bring it to her?

Also, I feel like the criticism of Cueball's work misses the fact that though he builds more slowly, he is apparently more skilled with fine-detail construction. After all, he made much of the crenelation, and is solely responsible for the three-level regression model.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:

* 0 x 3 = still 0

Well, yeah, that's Vinnie III (or "Vinne 'da t'ird"). It was Vinne II that worked all those long hours schleppin' his schlong, putting money aside to buy the strip club, to give his kid the chance to be the "real" actor...

Well that would explain it i guess. Vinnie the turd, gotcha.

BA-DA-BING!!!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:She seems to be indicating the box. Perhaps she wants Cueball to bring it to her?

Well, after discussing Vinnie Longdong (and his strip club) again with AionArap, it's kinda looking to me like she's dancing on a raised platform for Cueball's enjoyment. Wonder if he's going to offer a few bills to tip her with?

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

Prediction: Dialogue soon. Megan needs Cueball to get her box. Girls need their boxes.

StratPlayer wrote:As a Knight Temporal, I vow to be both a Defender Of Randall's Knowledge (DORK) and a Defender Of NewPix Greatness (DONG)!

Dork and dong are the same thing. *etymology* :lol:

edo wrote:Speaking as an outsider (to the religion, not an "Outsider"), since there hasn't been a female Pope, it's hard to tell. Would they be called a Mome? If a Mome and a Pope owned a shop, would it be a Mome and Pope shop?

Too awesome. Momes reign over the mome raths.

edo wrote:The if the knights are of the Eastern church, they will be welcomed by the Western Paradox Church, (who will no doubt shun them.)

Speaking as a non-member, knights are welcome. It's those damn days that we shun.

kryton wrote:So how about a contest to come up with our own gender neutral pronoun?

The PIE of he ("she" comes from "he") is ki and ko (approximately). Maybe si, or that is, ci. Written as ci and co. Being English's* ambiguous letter (with a "k" or an "s" sound) it would be more than appropriate for the "neutral" gender, or, maybe more appropriately called, the "ambiguous" gender.

Taking a little from each gender I would go with: he, she, it, ce; him, her, it, cir; his, hers, its, cis [pronounced ciz]. Which sound to use for the "c"? I'll leave that up to general consensus. 8-)

Sadly, I must also point out that "it" is a neutered pronoun. Is it that we can't call people "it" because it's dehumanizing? *shrug*

*Is that apostrophe right?

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

I have returned!

Now where do I apply for cardinalship, and if so, can I then be the cardinal who secretly directs the Knights Temporal from behind the scenes?
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

jupo

Postby jupo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

Waitwaitwait.

If we're voting in a new Pope, I'm running. For one thing, I'm a guy, so we avoid all the gender uncertainties. For another, I only caught up yesterday (my postponed post was 10 pages buried by the time it was released from moderation), so that must count for something. And for a third... my last name is Pope, and what could be cooler than Pope Pope?

And of that doesn't work, can I at least be Helper to the Pope? Because then I'd be Pope Helper Helper Pope. Or something.
Last edited by jupo on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:20 pm UTC

edo wrote:Image

B/D/Gong

No, Don't wave! Remember what happened last time she waved?
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

Corrado

Postby Corrado » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:She seems to be indicating the box. Perhaps she wants Cueball to bring it to her?

Also, I feel like the criticism of Cueball's work misses the fact that though he builds more slowly, he is apparently more skilled with fine-detail construction. After all, he made much of the crenelation, and is solely responsible for the three-level regression model.

One thing that's been clear from fairly early on is that there isn't a predictable amount time-of-action between frames. Some of the catapult or falling series captured a few seconds of time over the course of several frames while some clearly represent minutes or hours (or longer, in the cases where there is no reference for actions between non-action frames).

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:

* 0 x 3 = still 0

Also, just wait until you have power behind the scenes. Then you won't need money.

As I said, newly started, so far I'm the only member (AFAIK anyway, it's all very hush-hush)

BA-DA-BING!!!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:23 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:

* 0 x 3 = still 0

As I said, newly started, so far I'm the only member (AFAIK anyway, it's all very hush-hush)

So, offer memebership to a tax lawyer, and have him figure out a way to make money from taxes.
“have i gone mad?

FayZee

Postby FayZee » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:33 pm UTC

My guesss is that Megan and Cueball are going to launch themselves from their respective Diving Boards and utterly demolish all their hard work, and have a Whale of a Time.

imagineddragon

Postby imagineddragon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:39 pm UTC

++[Initial_TimeStream_Exit]++

Please leave this code as part of the current garble-nexus. I have been on board since the beginning of Time but have only caught bits and pieces of the consciousness bombardment. Outsider pressure has become unbearable, I will need to exit the garble-nexus for at least 45 Outsider Days. Upon my return I will place another marker indicating when I have re-entered the garble-nexus. If my current theories are accurate, I will need to re-enter from the beginning, at a comfortable pace. These two markers will serve as reference points for my research.

Upon reaching this first marker I will place another marker indicating progress.

This might be recognized as a slight variation on methods used by previous Time-Monks. That's OK.

Upon my convergence with the garble-nexus-present-post, evaluation.

Be well, fellow Waiters.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”