1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

partingLance

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby partingLance » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:42 pm UTC

Valiant Cookie wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Valiant Cookie wrote:Completion of the fabrication era seems to draw near. Will the era of the box answer some of our questions, or will it remain docile?

Hey! No predictive naming! It could be the Age of Raptors for all we know.

Raptors!? Don't be ridiculous. What is this, the land before time?

Speaking of which, has anyone else here seen The Land That Time Forgot? The 1975 theatrical version, I mean (apparently there was a recent straight-to-video remake).

I'm sure I liked it at the time and am almost equally sure I'd find it laughable trash -- or worse yet, dull trash -- now. The poster, though, has a curiously 1950s look, which holds out some mind of promise for the better class of trash.

EDIT: to substitute link to immobile IMDB page for previous abomination.
Last edited by partingLance on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:40 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:46 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:
Valiant Cookie wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Valiant Cookie wrote:Completion of the fabrication era seems to draw near. Will the era of the box answer some of our questions, or will it remain docile?

Hey! No predictive naming! It could be the Age of Raptors for all we know.

Raptors!? Don't be ridiculous. What is this, the land before time?

Speaking of which, has anyone else here seen The Land That Time Forgot? The 1975 theatrical version, I mean (apparently there was a recent straight-to-video remake).

I'm sure I liked it at the time and am almost equally sure I'd find it laughable trash -- or worse yet, dull trash -- now. The poster, though, has a curiously 1950s look, which holds out some mind of promise for the better class of trash.

Classy trash?

StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

jrpstonecarver

Postby jrpstonecarver » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:53 pm UTC

289 Pages in here so far. Randall, what hath thou wrought?

But in light of there being a developing religion (or three?) in here, and fully acknowledging that I have not - and never will - read the entire backlog - I wonder: Has anyone thought to create a place to register predictions about how 1190 is going to end? So they can be tested?

Perhaps one of these new religions wants to write scripture in advance and then (possibly) write apologetic tracts later if their holy predictions turn out to be wrong?

Or maybe it could be more like betting on the outcome of some sporting event. But who would judge such a thing and decide which answer is best?

Anyway... I stand in awe, and will watch from the sidelines during the coming religious wars.

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
edo wrote:
Speaking as an outsider (to the religion, not an "Outsider"), since there hasn't been a female Pope, it's hard to tell. Would they be called a Mome? If a Mome and a Pope owned a shop, would it be a Mome and Pope shop?

The if the knights are of the Eastern church, they will be welcomed by the Western Paradox Church, (who will no doubt shun them.)

Au contraire, a quick google search for "female pope" reveals Pope Joan, who may or may not be fictional but nevertheless proves that Pope is a genderless title.

Sadly, that Joan is a "Popess", proving the genderfullness of the "title". Of course, keeping in mind that to this day there are no female Catholic priests, "Popess" appears to be contradiction in terms, which places it squarely in the realm of the Western Paradox Church. Therefore, if anybody should name Popesses, that shouldn't be our Patriarch (i.e., me).

Speaking of which, nobody isn't unwelcome in our church, even Knights Temporal, whom we otherwise revere.
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

He's getting the box.

EDIT: Also, it's been a while since we had one of these: Wiki bump
Last edited by AionArap on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

FayZee

Postby FayZee » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:Image

FayZee wrote:My guesss is that Megan and Cueball are going to launch themselves from their respective Diving Boards and utterly demolish all their hard work, and have a Whale of a Time.

Looks to me like he's climbing up ready to make that dive.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

I predict at least one Crane Kick stance.

FayZee

Postby FayZee » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

He's getting the box.

The box contains Sand Diving gear.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

Damnit, they silently communicated. Cueball is so fucking whipped! :evil:

But, yes, I was right, she needed Cueball to put his hands on her box. She trusts him with her precious box. lol. (sorry)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Clix

Postby Clix » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC

He's getting the box.

Or maybe some Thumpers
People need panic...panic in regular draghts. I read about the governments of the world, and I panic daily. It's a heart pumping workout that keeps my cheeks rosy and my vision crystal clear.
Thorax:Pigborn (Brooke McEldowney)

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

FayZee wrote:

He's getting the box.

Does that mean Cueball will turn into this?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synodus_intermedius
Yikes.

BA-DA-BING!!!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

FayZee wrote:

He's getting the box.

But, then... If he's diving in the box, it's probably going to make sounds from Outside a bit, er... muffled, right?
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

imagineddragon wrote:++[Initial_TimeStream_Exit]++

Please leave this code as part of the current garble-nexus. I have been on board since the beginning of Time but have only caught bits and pieces of the consciousness bombardment. Outsider pressure has become unbearable, I will need to exit the garble-nexus for at least 45 Outsider Days. Upon my return I will place another marker indicating when I have re-entered the garble-nexus. If my current theories are accurate, I will need to re-enter from the beginning, at a comfortable pace. These two markers will serve as reference points for my research.

Upon reaching this first marker I will place another marker indicating progress.

This might be recognized as a slight variation on methods used by previous Time-Monks. That's OK.

Upon my convergence with the garble-nexus-present-post, evaluation.

Be well, fellow Waiters.

45 Outsider days? But... that's many more Outsider days than have existed since the beginning of Time... how do you know you'll make it that long?
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
FayZee wrote:

He's getting the box.

But, then... If he's diving in the box, it's probably going to make sounds from Outside a bit, er... muffled, right?

As long as he keeps the sand out of it...

BA-DA-BING!!!

histrion

Postby histrion » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:45 Outsider days? But... that's many more Outsider days than have existed since the beginning of Time... how do you know you'll make it that long?

World ends tomorrow anyway.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
FayZee wrote:

He's getting the box.

Maybe they'll be raising something BETWEEN the platforms?! Or the box contains a cancerbaby they will then fling to destroy all Time.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:I hereby spawn a new sect; we call ourselves the Thyme Waiters.

Having misinterpreted the old teachings, we choose to wait for it by serving culinary delights such as Boeuf Bourguignon and Carbonnade Flamande to our grateful guests. Those who join me can look forward to the promise of an always-full stomach and a newfound expertise in creating Bouquet Garni.

I proclaim myself pope, and look forward to eating and waiting with you.

I hope you'll at least do that in the opposite order, and wait with us before eating us. :shock: Eating then waiting would just be weird.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:That little bump/tower she added in 500-502 was added to the model way back in 382. At the time it was speculated that Cueball was adding himself. So, either Megan didn't know what that little bump was supposed to be and so added it to the larger version, or they've been planning this out to some degree.

The little bump isn't on the tiny-version of the castle... is it? The thing that looks like it MIGHT be the tiny bump is actually the far right tower with the flag on top (past the sand/coffee-grounds/semencancerwhatever bridge.) I want to see an enhanced version.

edit: Also, I thought the speculation on where Cueball was adding himself was to the top of the tiny-middle-castle he was currently standing on in the big version. This is getting confusing.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
AionArap wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
FayZee wrote:

He's getting the box.

Maybe they'll be raising something BETWEEN the platforms?! Or the box contains a cancerbaby they will then fling to destroy all Time.

And for his next trick, he'll be pulling a semencaffeinatedbaconcancerbunny out of the hat box.

BA-DA-BING!!!

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Whizbang wrote:That little bump/tower she added in 500-502 was added to the model way back in 382. At the time it was speculated that Cueball was adding himself. So, either Megan didn't know what that little bump was supposed to be and so added it to the larger version, or they've been planning this out to some degree.

The little bump isn't on the tiny-version of the castle... is it? The thing that looks like it MIGHT be the tiny bump is actually the far right tower with the flag on top (past the sand/coffee-grounds/semencancerwhatever bridge.) I want to see an enhanced version.

edit: Also, I thought the speculation on where Cueball was adding himself was to the top of the tiny-middle-castle he was currently standing on in the big version. This is getting confusing.

At least most of the miniature-Cueball speculation was based on forgetting the tiny trebuchet in the scale model, and thinking it must be him.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

edo

Postby edo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

Flado wrote:
edo wrote:
The if the knights are of the Eastern church, they will be welcomed by the Western Paradox Church, (who will no doubt shun them.)

Speaking of which, nobody isn't unwelcome in our church, even Knights Temporal, whom we otherwise revere.

Sorry your holiness, is the double negative required? And are not all who are revered in our church therefore shunned?

Perhaps I need <Bra|ket> notation to describe the state of the Knights Temporal:

are they (0.707|revered> + 0.707|shunned>) or (0.707|revered> - 0.707|shunned>) ?
Last edited by edo on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:45 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

histrion

Postby histrion » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:I hope you'll at least do that in the opposite order, and wait with us before eating us. :shock: Eating then waiting would just be weird.

Why? Once he's eaten you, what else is he gonna do?
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

Overwhelming forces from the Outside pulled me away for many newpix. I see the Timewaiters have been very busy.

edo wrote:
Smithers wrote:"We are the knights who say ...... wait for it ...... dery." Hang on, I got that wrong somewhere.

The Knights of Ledgen... wait for it... d.

lmjb1964 wrote:
I'm afraid that, since your first post was in the Externalities thread, you're not eligible for Cardinalship. You could, however, become a bishop, but as I said earlier I won't nominate new bishops today.

D'oh!

I'm sorry, but I hope you will continue waiting with us Timewaiters.

What other choice do I have? What choice do any of us have but to wait?

You can choose who to wait with; you can become a member of the Western Paradox Church, as I did. The Patriarch may still be trebucheting (a lot like cannonizing) Revered Apostates

I suppose I could start my own religion, but that sounds like way too much work. How do I prove myself worthy to be a Revered Apostate? Do bribes work?

fhorn wrote:Liebchen... sweetness heart, what watch?
Ten watch.
Such watch?

Isn't the line "Such much?" Have I been saying it wrong all these years?

I vote for Knights Temporal. To be honest, at this point I'm not sure if that's part of the Eastern Unorthodox Religion, which means that if I'm in the Western Paradox branch I wouldn't have a say. But that's my vote, anyway.

I also think Megan got to the top of the scaffold and realized she left her box (yeah, yeah), and is asking Cueball to bring is to her.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

And once again posting slows to a crawl as another longpix approaches its end.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Overwhelming forces from the Outside pulled me away for many newpix. I see the Timewaiters have been very busy.

edo wrote:
Smithers wrote:"We are the knights who say ...... wait for it ...... dery." Hang on, I got that wrong somewhere.

The Knights of Ledgen... wait for it... d.

lmjb1964 wrote:
I'm afraid that, since your first post was in the Externalities thread, you're not eligible for Cardinalship. You could, however, become a bishop, but as I said earlier I won't nominate new bishops today.

D'oh!

I'm sorry, but I hope you will continue waiting with us Timewaiters.

What other choice do I have? What choice do any of us have but to wait?

You can choose who to wait with; you can become a member of the Western Paradox Church, as I did. The Patriarch may still be trebucheting (a lot like cannonizing) Revered Apostates

I suppose I could start my own religion, but that sounds like way too much work. How do I prove myself worthy to be a Revered Apostate? Do bribes work?

Ten watch.
Such watch?

I vote for Knights Temporal. To be honest, at this point I'm not sure if that's part of the Eastern Unorthodox Religion, which means that if I'm in the Western Paradox branch I wouldn't have a say. But that's my vote, anyway.

I also think Megan got to the top of the scaffold and realized she left her box (yeah, yeah), and is asking Cueball to bring is to her.

I checked a religious text from the Outside, the IMDB, and it indeed says "such much?" - I stand corrected.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:And once again posting slows to a crawl as another longpix approaches its end.

Wait for it...

Last edited by AionArap on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BA-DA-BING!!!

histrion

Postby histrion » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

EDIT: Ninja'd. Hey, wait, no fair throwing your coat over my head just to save the seat you want! :D
Last edited by histrion on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

histrion wrote:Image

THE SANDCASTLE SHALL RISE HIGHER

Or it will fall into pieces.

This is obvious from the nüpiks.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:And once again posting slows to a crawl as another longpix approaches its end.

Wait for it...

What are they raising? Is it a banner? Are they lifting the entire castle to protect it from the tides? (Unlikely given the expected weight of the material of the castle and the strength of a few stick figures, but you never know...)
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

histrion wrote:Image

EDIT: Ninja'd. Hey, wait, no fair throwing your coat over my head just to save the seat you want! :D

Would you rather I throw your head over the seat to save my coat? :wink:

BA-DA-BING!!!

elementropy

Postby elementropy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:(snip)
Ten watch.
Such watch?

(snip)

I checked a religious text from the Outside, the IMDB, and it indeed says "such much?" - I stand corrected.

Scene

I don't think the Americans would notice the difference.
- quoth Elementropy, Time Bandit, TimeWaiter Liturgist, Oxford Comma, and
A Greek Omelette with Fries and Tomato Juice, Hold-the-toast-please in the Order of Breakfast

Tempus fugit quasi sagita; muscas fructibus arieram volunt...

BlitzGirl: welcome to the future!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:
AionArap wrote:

Wait for it...

Spoiler:

What are they raising? Is it a banner? Are they lifting the entire castle to protect it from the tides? (Unlikely given the expected weight of the material of the castle and the strength of a few stick figures, but you never know...)

I question the compression strength of the poles the platforms are made of. Megan carried them in by herself, so they are certainly light -- are they strong enough to take the load of a full castle made of watersemencoffee-logged sandcoffeeemenatedbabyice?
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

flekkie

Postby flekkie » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

I think they are raising a panel that says 'The End' or something!

(It has to stop somewhere you know. Dont forget that this is yet the 522nd panel drawn.)

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:15 pm UTC

flekkie wrote:I think they are raising a panel that says 'The End' or something!

(It has to stop somewhere you know. Dont forget that this is yet the 522nd panel drawn.)

If anything, it would say "It".

BA-DA-BING!!!

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
macraw83 wrote:
AionArap wrote:

Wait for it...

Spoiler:

I question the compression strength of the poles the platforms are made of. Megan carried them in by herself, so they are certainly light -- are they strong enough to take the load of a full castle made of watersemencoffee-logged sandcoffeeemenatedbabyice?

Well, for all we know, they might be made of carbon fiber* or nanotubes or even adamantium or unobtainium. They could be as strong & light as they need to be.

* Not so great in compression as tensile, I suspect, but you get the idea.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
AionArap wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
FayZee wrote:
AionArap wrote:http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/5b1d9b7e2cd58a00112cb6e6998eb2d2fdb402bf3233f607286ebbb5bbd3b720.png

He's getting the box.

Oh?! Did I call it? WHAT WILL IT BEEEE?

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

It seems we may be nearing the end of the One True Comic.

Drakeesh

Postby Drakeesh » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

flekkie wrote:I think they are raising a panel that says 'The End' or something!

Or One Saying, "Sorry for the Inconvenience"
Sir Aheem, Defender of the Former Right Flag, Keeper of the Shards of the Shattered Right Tower

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:

If anything, it would say "It".

That's what I thought of too. It does look like a banner.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

I can say with complete confidence that it won't end here. The rising tide has yet to have an impact and I am certain The One True Comic will not end before it does.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”