1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

Oops, I misplaced the /quote in my last post. Sorry to put words in your mouth, edo. Or in your keyboard, as the case may be.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

antfarm.jpg

The dimensions are easier to understand once you realize Randall keeps Megan and Cueball in an ant farm.

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

edo wrote:
partingLance wrote:
EDIT:
But what am I saying (with my blather on the Western Paradox Church, above). My theology is a load of dingoes' kidneys. My would-be paradoxes aren't remotely deserving of the exalted name, but mere contradictions. I'm an unworthy unmember of the Church.

PartingLance - you have be razed to High Holy Heretic. Rise up to kneel before the Creator.

Now let me see... it's been years. What's that ceremonial form of words... ah yes:

"Revered Apostate: take a walk. And furthermore: thank you ever so, your Apostate-hood; I will be ternally grateful. I am not completely uncertain that I will fail to prevail in my lack of effort not to show myself unworthy of this great dishonour; Church without end, amen."

Moving along: I've already voted for Knights Temporal, but thought I should live up to the "vote often" part of the traditional exhortation.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:31 pm UTC

htom wrote:I keep having these ideas that go nowhere. A proscenium with wings, the small castle construct being the set, in which they'll enact some form of comedy?

I know what you mean. At first I thought that the four posts were the corners of a rectangle, with (for no concrete reason) the left post of each pair being the nearer. But since they hoisted the latest plank I'm thinking the poles make a trapezoid, with (again for no concrete reason) the two outermost poles being the nearer. A proscenium, as you suggest, or some sort of large wind screen, or--well, that idea went nowhere.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:36 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
cmyk wrote:I added a more appropriate soundtrack, now that we're beginning to understand the deeper meaning behind the veneer of this comic's format. Please take a moment to find a more tranquil state of mind before viewing.

Link to video here, (frames 0—490 so far).

FABULOUS!

I was really wondering, when I watched that while catching up from coma, why nobody had said a thing about it at the time. Sadly, by the time I had caught up, it had slipped my mind. :(

FABULOUS indeed! Due to the Internet Gestapo at my Outsider Day-Star-time job, I was unable to view this before I got home. Nicely done -- love the Benny Hillishness!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

stickler

Postby stickler » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:38 pm UTC

Ever since the poles appeared I thought it was going to lift the entire centre castle up 120 or so pixels.

I also don't understand why this frame has not been discussed:
I think it is one of the ones where xkcd is speaking to the audience/fora (along with the "I don't understand what the sea is doing." 6 frames earlier).

Also has anyone done a graph showing the total pixels changed per frame (or three frames) against time (GMT/outsider time)? I want to see if there is a time of day where more interesting stuff happens. It would also indicate if the frames are being drawn 'live' or have been drawn months ago.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:39 pm UTC

This Thread is Basszar.
Nothing new under the sun?

Oops. The link to The Time Warp did not work. :?

Do you need a Church Dance? No one is using that one.
You can have it. If you can find it.

What does you Pope wear? Anything? Time? Draped in Mountains of Folded Time?

Not, just, anyone can wear an outfit like that; And, look good.
Last edited by addams on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:40 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:Knights Temporal totally has my vote. Also, can I be one?

Unrelated: http://smithers.net63.net/downloads/time-50.gif, http://smithers.net63.net/downloads/time-10-100.gif and
sealevel.png
have been updated.

Even less related:
IMG_20130410_202512.jpg

Holy Shirt!!! Now that's cool! I want one!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:44 pm UTC

edo wrote:Bumping the Dong1:
spamjam wrote:
Spoiler:

1 I hear that this is illegal in some states.

Now I'm starting to think that we're going to see C&M build a whole pier above the level where the tide will seep in and wash over the whole castle.

I wonder how much Time they have to get it done? It does add to the pier pressure...

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:44 pm UTC

edo wrote:You must provide a paradox to be worthy, however, no one can deem your paradox' worthiness*. Bribes work only on the uncorrupt members of the Apostate, so bribes will not work on me (PM me your bitcoins). If you just want to join, I can shun you as an unbeliever. Shun! Shun! SHUNNNNNNNN! you are now Transcedental Imaginator of the Western Paradox Church.

* the apostrophe police can stick it.

Oh, so you want a paradox? Here's one:

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:46 pm UTC

Wnderer wrote:
antfarm.jpg

The dimensions are easier to understand once you realize Randall keeps Megan and Cueball in an ant farm.

Nice! So does that mean the "sand" is actually just a mix of soil and ant feces? Interesting theory...

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:57 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Roia wrote:We have knights now?! Can I be one???

Also, yay, the castles gonna get higher!

I'd say that interest in the Knights Temporal is reaching the point where we should be officially established.

Huh... I thought it had reached critical mass and already self-established. I already took the vow and everything:

StratPlayer wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
tman2nd wrote:I vote for the name "Order of the Knights Temporal" also. Should we make a decision soon?

I think we should wait for it...

We'll need to name ourselves eventually, and it's best to do so before we grow in numbers.

I already voted for the "Knights Temporal" also. While I would qualify for Cardinalship (having delurked to join the Time thread and having only posted in here), I just don't that kind of cardinal urge needed for the job.

But I could be a hard daze Knight, for sure!

Knighthood and cardinalship should be mutually exclusive anyways. Devotion to Time and devotion to its protection are different things.
EDIT: I second StratPlayer's proposition.

Absolutely. I feel qualified for Knighthood. I would defend Time with my all!!!* As a Knight Temporal, I vow to be both a Defender Of Randall's Knowledge (DORK) and a Defender Of NewPix Greatness (DONG)!

*Provided it doesn't involve anything more than posting onto this thread from the safety of my comfy chair...**
**Edited to eliminate redundant "Safety" redundancy***
***But then, you can't have too much safety -- 'Safety First' I always say.++
++Well, not always, but when appropriate...+++
+++Actually, sometimes I'm willing to even take that motto into fierce action!*

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:00 am UTC

So... It has come to this.

I had a vision today (it was a dream, but it doesn't matter).

As we near the 1190th panel, NewPix will arrive more and more often. At the Final Hour of the Time, the javascript makes the comic refresh into a YouTube video, showing enormous castles built on top of hills, many rivers, and a big sea. The title text was changed to something like "You have waited enough." We perceive the time and space as one. As the final frame fades, Kim Jong Un has became impatient.

If it happens the way I described it, call me The Prophet. If it doesn't, I was just kidding and talking about a silly dream I had. :p

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:00 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Wnderer wrote:
antfarm.jpg

Nice! So does that mean the "sand" is actually just a mix of soil and ant feces? Interesting theory...

The composition of the 'sand' is a trade secret, so that mystery may never be solved.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:08 am UTC

azule wrote:Damnit, they silently communicated. Cueball is so fucking whipped! :evil:

But, yes, I was right, she needed Cueball to put his hands on her box. She trusts him with her precious box. lol. (sorry)

OH NO YOU DI'UNT!

vvn

Postby vvn » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:11 am UTC

Refer to "sand" referenced in the third comment on the page http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/20 ... s_time.php
(Sorry, don't know how to point at it better than that.) Something I never would have seen if I didn't have Time.

Is there any evidence that the third dimension is larger than a plank length?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:20 am UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:So... It has come to this.

I had a vision today (it was a dream, but it doesn't matter).

As we near the 1190th panel, NewPix will arrive more and more often. At the Final Hour of the Time, the javascript makes the comic refresh into a YouTube video, showing enormous castles built on top of hills, many rivers, and a big sea. The title text was changed to something like "You have waited enough." We perceive the time and space as one. As the final frame fades, Kim Jong Un has became impatient.

If it happens the way I described it, call me The Prophet. If it doesn't, I was just kidding and talking about a silly dream I had. :p

I'm not going to point out the fact that YouTube videos don't have title-text.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:20 am UTC

Thank The Randall, I have caught up with the scrolls of The One True Comic. I fell behind for many manly TimeFrames, and am, for the moment, caught up.

Unfortunately (I'm pretty sure it's unfortunate), I have around 6-10 Quote responses I've saved (didn't post'em 'till I'd finished), and now am trying to decide: reallllly long multi-quote response, or just pace myself. *sigh*

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:20 am UTC

YES.... I finally get the "Time is not made of strawberries" reference from 3 days ago...

late to the party.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

htom

Postby htom » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:22 am UTC

vvn wrote:Refer to "sand" referenced in the third comment on the page http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/20 ... s_time.php
(Sorry, don't know how to point at it better than that.) Something I never would have seen if I didn't have Time.

Is there any evidence that the third dimension is larger than a plank length?

The evidence of a third dimension is mostly CueBall's digging the tunnels in the early bridge. Whether a third dimension or complex 2-D wave effects are the simpler solution I won't guess.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:25 am UTC

Well, the construction seems to be going well do far. I wonder what the next step is.
Cueballs appears to be about to walk the planck!

The word 'pope' is related is from the Greek 'papas' (originally meaning 'father'. See also 'papa'). So a female pope should be a mope.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:30 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:The word 'pope' is related is from the Greek 'papas' (originally meaning 'father'. See also 'papa'). So a female pope should be a mope.

Or rather, a mome.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:43 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:The word 'pope' is related is from the Greek 'papas' (originally meaning 'father'. See also 'papa'). So a female pope should be a mope.

Or rather, a mome.

I vote for Pope. Although I do like Mome a lot too.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:43 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:

Or rather, a mome.
Or perhaps both.

[edit] Obviously that was meant to be an addendum to my prediction of Cueball walking the planck, given that both he and Megan are doing so :D
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:06 am UTC

HOLY CRAP that is another scale model on top of the right plank, isn't it? Which makes me think I might have been right about that being a scale model of the scaffolds on the left one.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:25 am UTC

KarMann wrote:Image
HOLY CRAP that is another scale model on top of the right plank, isn't it? Which makes me think I might have been right about that being a scale model of the scaffolds on the left one.

If that's the case, then it looks like there are more castles to the left.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:28 am UTC

KarMann wrote:Image

Maybe, but the "model" scaffold has only two uprights, not four; while the model on the right (if such it is) seems to have less relief, relative to its length, than the actual castle complex. So I'm doubtful.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:32 am UTC

KarMann wrote:HOLY CRAP that is another scale model on top of the right plank, isn't it? Which makes me think I might have been right about that being a scale model of the scaffolds on the left one.

That is just the rope she pulled the last plank up with.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:39 am UTC

I, Tman2nd, hereby join The Order of the Temporal Knights and swear to protect The One True Comic from all threats, Outside and Inside.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

kryton

Postby kryton » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:39 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
KarMann wrote:HOLY CRAP that is another scale model on top of the right plank, isn't it? Which makes me think I might have been right about that being a scale model of the scaffolds on the left one.

That is just the rope she pulled the last plank up with.

Based on this latest new pix, a plank length is either 1, 3, or 4 Megan-lengths long.
1298 and counting

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:42 am UTC

OK, yeah, I'm starting to thing I jumped the gun and got a little overexcited, especially after reviewing the frames in which that shape appeared. Chalk it up to the same human fault that causes people to see the Virgin Mary on their toast.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:56 am UTC

KarMann wrote:OK, yeah, I'm starting to thing I jumped the gun and got a little overexcited, especially after reviewing the frames in which that shape appeared. Chalk it up to the same human fault that causes people to see the Virgin Megan on their toast.

FTFY

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:59 am UTC

KarMann wrote:OK, yeah, I'm starting to thing I jumped the gun and got a little overexcited, especially after reviewing the frames in which that shape appeared. Chalk it up to the same human fault that causes people to see the Virgin Mary on their toast.

It's remarkable, isn't it, that in nearly 300 pages of comments, no-one had previously seen more in the comic than perhaps was there, let alone tried to lard it down with a greater significance. Whatever happened to the carnivalesque IntraToobZ of my youth, with their wild, gleefully evidence-free speculation? Whither goeth they?

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:01 am UTC

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:04 am UTC

I just realized. In over two weeks nobody has yet posted this:

When I consider how my light is spent
Ere half my days in this dark world and wide,
And that one Talent which is death to hide
Lodged with me useless, though my soul more bent
To serve therewith my Maker, and present
My true account, lest He returning chide,
"Doth God exact day-labour, light denied?"
I fondly ask. But Patience, to prevent
That murmur, soon replies, "God doth not need
Either man's work or his own gifts. Who best
Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best. His state
Is kingly: thousands at his bidding speed,
And post o'er land and ocean without rest;
They also serve who only stand and wait."

"On His Blindness" - John Milton
(emphasis mine)
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:05 am UTC

Looks like Cueball is just standing there holding his left arm like he doesn't know what to do next. Megan will soon sort him out no doubt

htom

Postby htom » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:14 am UTC

100. What happened? I find this hard to believe. A hundred posts on a single topic on the XKCD forum. Let's spin up some of the Moody Blues ...

"Strange Times"

Long time ago, back in the mist of time
Back when the crystal waters flowed
There was a world
So strange and so beautiful
All life would flourish and would grow

Years went by, time just fell away
Love was worshiped like the sun
But as we arrive at the house of the water sign
We're living in strange times

Strange times
Strange times

What do we need
What do we hunger for
Who holds the secrets, who will know

Temples of greed
In ruins on the river bed
Wastelands that lived before the snow

Time stands still
As we race through the universe
On our way to the sun
And as we arrive at the house of the water sign
We're living in strange times

Strange times,
Strange times

It's you and I forever
We won't be afraid
Even if the stars are falling down, down, down, down, down

Tomorrow, folks. Remember, be good, or be very, very careful!
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:16 am UTC

When I consider how my Life is spent
Ere half my hours in this slow world and wide,
And that one Talent which is Time to hide
"Doth Randall exact day-labour, time denied?"
That murmur, soon replies, "Randall doth not need
And post o'er sand and ocean without rest;

FTFY
Last edited by Latent22 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:05 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

kurukkan

Postby kurukkan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:32 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:I just realized. In over two weeks nobody has yet posted this:

When I consider how my light is spent
Ere half my days in this dark world and wide,
And that one Talent which is death to hide
"Doth God exact day-labour, light denied?"
That murmur, soon replies, "God doth not need
And post o'er land and ocean without rest;

"On His Blindness" - John Milton
(emphasis mine)

This seems in dire need of a new musical setting, no?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”