1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ashtar

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Ashtar » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:52 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
cmyk wrote:It's with a heavy heart, I offer all of you my findings.
I don't even.

I guess the golden ration can be found almost anywhere, with a little contrivedness.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:53 am UTC

You know i think we should start compiling a proper Bible. Something we can refer to in all our newpix of need. Randall has given us the original Testament as our inspiration. All 530+ pages and counting. We should elect Apostles or equivalents and they can take each page of the original Testament and though deep mediation derive the true meaning of each page and add speech, comments, explanations, stories, words or other annotations (except to those pages where Randall has already done so as to alter these would be sacrilege!). This task would be too great an undertaking for just one mortal man so the pages can be divided up amongst the faithful and then compiled together on a site we shell name web. Could also do each page democratically and let people submit different versions for vote.

Just an Idea :)

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:56 am UTC

Ashtar wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
I don't even.

I guess the golden ration can be found almost anywhere, with a little contrivedness.

I assure you, I employed the most sensitive, accurate and reliable measurement instruments known to man: The Transform tool in Photoshop. Accurate down to 1/72 of an inch!

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

vvn

Postby vvn » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:59 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:You know i think we should start compiling a proper Bible.........

I think this would be a truly holy, worthwhile and entertaining venture. I am very happy that I have not accepted the office of Cardinal, I might be drafted into this labor.

Do the Cardinals get numbered?

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:00 am UTC

They have spoken again!
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:02 am UTC

vvn wrote:
Latent22 wrote:You know i think we should start compiling a proper Bible.........

I think this would be a truly holy, worthwhile and entertaining venture. I am very happy that I have not accepted the office of Cardinal, I might be drafted into this labor.

Of course, they have jerseys and even their own stadium.

AVOIDING DOUBLE POST: Why did she make that little nubbin by the sea? Too small and of no depth (and yes, there's depth, cuz I said so), to hold back the tide. Sand dildo?
Last edited by cmyk on Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:08 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:04 am UTC

Why does one of them need to climb down? Why only one? What are they planning?
I guess we'll just have to wait for it ...
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:07 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:Why does one of them need to climb down? Why only one? What are they planning?

To reposition the ladder.

Cueball head over there placed it right under the catwalk they just laid down and couldn't reach it. So, someone's gotta be the harrowing buffoon.

Cute.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:09 am UTC

vvn wrote:

Of course...ordinally.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:17 am UTC

spamjam wrote:
vvn wrote:

Of course...ordinally.

Well, naturally.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:22 am UTC

cmyk wrote:
tman2nd wrote:Why does one of them need to climb down? Why only one? What are they planning?

To reposition the ladder.

Cueball head over there placed it right under the catwalk they just laid down and couldn't reach it. So, someone's gotta be the harrowing buffoon.

Cute.

It would seem a frame of destruction approaches, when the hard work of Megan and Cueball is (temporarily) marred and must be repaired. Friends! You must repent of your sins! It is coming soon! The frame of destruction!

There weren't enough crazed doomsayers on the streets, so I thought I'd take up the role.

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:26 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
cmyk wrote:I added a more appropriate soundtrack, now that we're beginning to understand the deeper meaning behind the veneer of this comic's format. Please take a moment to find a more tranquil state of mind before viewing.

Link to video here, (frames 0—490 so far).

FABULOUS!

omgwtfbbq. How did I not see that earlier? That is magnificent! We can haz update to the latest frame?
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:32 am UTC

cmyk wrote:I added a more appropriate soundtrack, now that we're beginning to understand the deeper meaning behind the veneer of this comic's format. Please take a moment to find a more tranquil state of mind before viewing.

Are you going to update it?
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:41 am UTC

cmyk wrote:AVOIDING DOUBLE POST: Why did she make that little nubbin by the sea? Too small and of no depth (and yes, there's depth, cuz I said so), to hold back the tide. Sand dildo?

It seems to be a dike, but, as I wrote earlier, nothing she could build in that space could help.

Jafloi

Postby Jafloi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:44 am UTC

cmyk wrote:
vvn wrote:

Of course, they have jerseys and even their own stadium.

AVOIDING DOUBLE POST: Why did she make that little nubbin by the sea? Too small and of no depth (and yes, there's depth, cuz I said so), to hold back the tide. Sand dildo?

Is it posible that that little nubbin by the sea was actually ment like some way to make it easier to see how fast the (tide? Flooding? Rise of fluid?) goes on? Can't really se how it could hold much of it back, whatever it turns out to be...

..And now, with my seventh 111th post, I hereby ask what to do to become a Cardinal? Does I have to walk through ice and fire? Climb (the) seven mountains? (which of them?) Find the one and holy treasure in the mysterious cave of Time? Or just wait for it?....
buffygirl wrote:Jafloi, [...] I do hereby annoint you as Cardinal Jafloi of the Chicken Salad Sandwich, mayo optional.
...and Lightscribe (woodworker of time)

BlitzGirl: "wait fast, but wait well" *And good luck with the rest of your journey!!*You made it! Welcome!

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:45 am UTC

Ashtar wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
I don't even.

ImageImageImageGolden rations!

[edit] This talk of nubbins makes me nostalgic for season 1 of Sanctuary :(
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:51 am UTC

Smithers wrote:
Eliram wrote:I wonder, if you guys take a blank sheet of paper and try to draw the three sandcastles (MEMORY ONLY, WITHOUT LOOKING!), how accurate will that be?

This accurate:
IMG_20130410_202424.jpg

Wow. Simply wow!
It's about time.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:00 am UTC

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:02 am UTC

Spoiler:

Edit: ninja'd. Time to coma, bye all!
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:07 am UTC

So, it has come to this.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

Jafloi

Postby Jafloi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:12 am UTC

Compiling a proper bible: http://xkcd.com/303/ ?

But to be a little more serious; what should it be based on? How should it be made? Still some time till we reach the distance of 50-80 years 900'000 -1'400'000 newpix they had last time the Bibel was written?
buffygirl wrote:Jafloi, [...] I do hereby annoint you as Cardinal Jafloi of the Chicken Salad Sandwich, mayo optional.

BlitzGirl: "wait fast, but wait well" *And good luck with the rest of your journey!!*You made it! Welcome!

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:14 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Ashtar wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
I don't even.

ImageImageImageGolden rations!

[edit] This talk of nubbins makes me nostalgic for season 1 of Sanctuary :(

Oh me yarm. Someone get to work on recreating every frame in Minecraft. I shall pay you in spider eyes!

Also, for a newpic-second there, I thought when they were done building those frames, we might see a spark of flint, and they'd disappear through his & her portals into the Nether.

tman2nd wrote:

Are you going to update it?

Wait for it...

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:19 am UTC

Jafloi wrote:

But to be a little more serious; what should it be based on? How should it be made? Still some time till we reach the distance of 50-80 years 900'000 -1'400'000 newpix they had last time the Bibel was written?

The corollary for CG animators/designers for that comic is, "It's rendering!" *plays Starcraft*

EDIT: It'd be great if the next few frames showed them doing Rock, Paper, Scissors (Lizard, Spock) to determine who's going to shimmy down.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:25 am UTC

cmyk wrote:Gee Willikers. Someone get to work on recreating every frame in Minecraft. I shall pay you in spider eyes!
Should I use sand blocks, or something more... caffeinated?

foilman

Postby foilman » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:32 am UTC

I know it doesn't really look like it, but maybe the box is actually a bucket of ice with a bottle of champagne in, and they're going to (eventually) toast all their hard work.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:37 am UTC

Please do not make me a member of the Western Paradox Church. I have just had a visit from the future and I told me I never became one.

ETA: Hi Blitzers. Keep up the good work and have fun!
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Jafloi

Postby Jafloi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:41 am UTC

Does anybody have an updated graph of the fluid-rise? Seems like it is rises quite fast now... Maybe try to calculate how many newpix it is 'till the castles get flooded?

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:48 am UTC

Sea level still rising. The water is now pretty much up to the level of the original base of the castle. (When Began built her 2½D sea wall, she also fortified the base of the castle a little, it seems.)
Time_sea_level_rise_20130411_0700.png
Time_sea_level_rise_20130411_0700.png (3.13 KiB) Viewed 10705 times

This is going to get interesting soon...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:50 am UTC

mscha wrote:Sea level still rising. The water is now pretty much up to the level of the original base of the castle. (When Began built her 2½D sea wall, she also fortified the base of the castle a little, it seems.)
Time_sea_level_rise_20130411_0700.png

This is going to get interesting soon...

Bah, humbug! I'll worry about it when we see our Dynamic Duo getting out scuba equipment.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:02 am UTC

Maybe we've got it all wrong from the beginning of Time. What if the castle is made of sea (or an artificial concoction made to simulate sea) and the rising tide is sand? It would only need a small adjustment to the nature of fluid and solid for this to be feasible.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:05 am UTC

New pic, y'all!

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:06 am UTC

B/G/DÖŊ
Spoiler:

Yeah, let's just sit there and do nothing; just wait for it.
Let's also get ninja'ed while we're at it.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:17 am UTC

Exodies wrote:Maybe we've got it all wrong from the beginning of Time. What if the castle is made of sea (or an artificial concoction made to simulate sea) and the rising tide is sand? It would only need a small adjustment to the nature of fluid and solid for this to be feasible.

Sodium acetate. Q.E.D., bitches.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:19 am UTC

cmyk wrote:
spamjam wrote:
vvn wrote:Do the Cardinals get numbered?
Of course...ordinally.
Well, naturally.

Get real guys...

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:21 am UTC

SinusPi wrote:
cmyk wrote:
spamjam wrote:
Of course...ordinally.
Well, naturally.

Get real guys...

It's not really that complex. You're imagining things.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:24 am UTC

Jafloi wrote:

Yeah well this bible could get kind of long... May be best to keep it in mostly digital only form as I don't need that much toilet paper big a book.

Was thinking the easiest method would be to just use a forum. Could even be this forum if we had a new section added (which I doubt the admins would want to give us but who knows) or else a whole new forum. It would work much the same way as this "Individual XKCD comic threads" folder works. There would be a new thread for each page with basically the same posting rule for the first post of each thread with just the IMG. Then you get people to download each png file and use Photoshop/Gimp/whatever to modify and then upload the result as an attachment to the thread. They would have to agree to license it back with creative commons non-commercial license 2.5 as well. Then others can view it and comment on what they like or propose what they would like added instead. Some people can just propose words or captions to add and then others can render out the images. The output must always be the same size png file. Might be also good for posters of images to also state their name and credit anyone who helped them so this data can be included in the final output as well.

Then one or more people have to host a copy of the original .png files on their website and then one by one replace these files with the best example of each page but use the original file name. If it is hosted in the right folder like this:
http://random.dyndns.org/comics/time/25 ... dbf965.png

Then you can re use any of the many animated gif or other websites that have been set up already to view the orginal png files to render the new version of the Bible with just the change of the the image server web address.

Also in theory if there are more than one opinion of what version should be in a bible more than one person can host it and you would then have different version of the Bible for different factions.

Also could create a script to auto generate the initial IMG thread posts which would make things simpler. First do all 530+ initial ones and then auto add the rest each newpix.

The great thing is it can start with only a few dozen custom ones and grow from there.

The eventual 'Finished' Bible could maybe be special printed and one sent to Randall...

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:38 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
SinusPi wrote:
cmyk wrote:
spamjam wrote:
Of course...ordinally.
Well, naturally.

Get real guys...

Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

GerardE

Postby GerardE » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:44 am UTC

edo wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:The word 'pope' is related is from the Greek 'papas' (originally meaning 'father'. See also 'papa'). So a female pope should be a mope.

Or rather, a mome.

I'm guessing the Greek for mother is something like "mammas" and not "mapas", so it'd be mome rather than mope, though you guys should have a group off four popes and momes and call them the Mamas and the Papas.

according to the fallible google translate it would be metera, in consonants equal to mother. So "Mote" it should be.
Wait for IT. Business always complaining.

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:51 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
SinusPi wrote:
cmyk wrote:
spamjam wrote:
Of course...ordinally.
Well, naturally.

Get real guys...

Imagination is the thing that differentiates humans from non-humans, it's an integral function of our species (and pebbles).

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:56 am UTC

addams wrote:This Thread is Basszar.
Nothing new under the sun?

Oops. The link to The Time Warp did not work. :?

Do you need a Church Dance? No one is using that one.
You can have it. If you can find it.

What does you Pope wear? Anything? Time? Draped in Mountains of Folded Time?

Not, just, anyone can wear an outfit like that; And, look good.

The second coming! addams returns! And as is so often the way, goes unnoticed. 'Tis a miracle! Where have you been, my friend? Wandering in the wilderness for forty newpages and forty newpix?

Can we make addams some kind of prophet? Or at least the holy poet?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”