1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Dracomax

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:02 pm UTC

Just as prophecy foretold!
"and lo! a Dark sea shall rise, andmegan, who may or may not represent the holy significant of the Randall, shall speak, saying, the sea hath risen, or something to that effect."
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:04 pm UTC

OK, since no-one contradicted my earlier vow within the mandated 6 newpix, my self-knighthood stands!

Verily, I am now a Knight Temporal! I shall be tireless1 in the performance of my duties2.

1 Or at least until I get a bit bored or need to coma.
2 Of which there are none -- the perfect job!

True, I many not be entirely valorous or chivalrous, but I think I'll be good enough to carry out the job.

However, I do think I need a more Knightly name than "Sir StratPlayer". Something more regal and fierce-sounding...

So I shall adopt "Vincent" (from the Latin "vincere", to conquer), and thusly henceforth be known as:

"Knight Temporal Sir Vincent, Lord Of Nominal Goodness, Defender Of NewPix Glory*"

*aka Sir Vinnie LONGDONG
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:05 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Wnderer wrote:
antfarm.jpg

The dimensions are easier to understand once you realize Randall keeps Megan and Cueball in an ant farm.

Nice! So does that mean the "sand" is actually just a mix of soil and ant feces? Interesting theory...

Produced by the Soilant Corporation.

Is it made from ant people?
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:05 pm UTC

Flotter wrote:Captain Obvious to the rescue!

Yeah, but there also exist people who are not following this as well as we do, and who do not know the fora...

(Actually, do these people really exist??)
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:07 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Wnderer wrote:
antfarm.jpg

The dimensions are easier to understand once you realize Randall keeps Megan and Cueball in an ant farm.

Nice! So does that mean the "sand" is actually just a mix of soil and ant feces? Interesting theory...

Soilant Black? Soilent Black is Pixels! Soilent Black is Piiixxxeelllssss!!!!!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:11 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote: The original image at the top with some fixed instructions
A section below to post new rendered pages

Just to make sure the faithful see what you have proposed... You want to change the One True Comic?!
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:15 pm UTC

XonqNopp wrote:

Yeah, but there also exist people who are not following this as well as we do, and who do not know the fora...

On second thought, the rising caffeinsemencancerbaby level may be obvious to us, but not to Cueball and Megan. It's possible they only just had their suspicions confirmed.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:16 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Wnderer wrote:
antfarm.jpg

Soilant Black? Soilent Black is Pixels! Soilent Black is Piiixxxeelllssss!!!!!

Aarrgh. Now all I can think is that the castle is built of the crumbled ruins of all of Randall's older comics.

(On the other hand, that "Soilant Black" line would have had coffee out my nose, if only I'd been drinking coffee.)
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:17 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:OK, since no-one contradicted my earlier vow within the mandated 6 newpix, my self-knighthood stands!

Verily, I am now a Knight Temporal! I shall be tireless1 in the performance of my duties2.

True, I many not be entirely valorous or chivalrous, but I think I'll be good enough to carry out the job.

However, I do think I need a more Knightly name than "Sir StratPlayer". Something more regal and fierce-sounding...

So I shall adopt "Vincent" (from the Latin "vincere", to conquer), and thusly henceforth be known as:

"Knight Temporal Sir Vincent, Lord Of Nominal Goodness, Defender Of NewPix Glory*"

*aka Sir Vinnie LONGDONG

You may be able to declare yourself a knight, but you need a bishop or Cardinal to give you your new, knightly name. It's like a NASA nickname. you con't get to choose it for yourself.(and this is within 6 timeframes of when you declared it.)
“have i gone mad?

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:21 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:OK, since no-one contradicted my earlier vow within the mandated 6 newpix, my self-knighthood stands!

Your mission, Sir Vincent, should you choose to accept it, is to add the Knights Temporal to the wiki, which, as of the Agency's last check, knows naught of their existence. As usual, if you or any member of your Paradoxical Edit team are captured or killed, the Pope will deny any knowledge of you or your mission.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:26 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:

*aka Sir Vinnie LONGDONG

You may be able to declare yourself a knight, but you need a bishop or Cardinal to give you your new, knightly name. It's like a NASA nickname. you con't get to choose it for yourself.(and this is within 6 timeframes of when you declared it.)

Well, I didn't ask the Cardinals of the Western Paradox, so therefore their permission was given...

But I will also submit the request to the Bishops, Cardinals, and Pope-in-abstentia Helper (and/or Mome-to-be BlitzGirl when she gets here):

"Humbly I beseech thee, that I might better serve the church and give my utmost to it(')s defense, might I obtain the rank of Knight Temporal and have the name bestowed pre-emptively upon me by thine greatness?"

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:39 pm UTC

Quest progress: 219 out of 295 pages.
The Architect Age. NP 331.

Another missive from the future! Embedded in a signature this time:
htom wrote:Blitzgirl -- Your communication received with great joy and rejoicing.

As was yours! I look forward to one day meeting those of you fortunate enough to tread this thread in the present Time.

I speak to you now from another dark era, pre-Recursion, where Cueball labors alone on the Sandcastle. The posts chatter endlessly of strange bestiality, involving an uncle named Jack beating off a horse (or somesuch). The Madness has ended, but the madness that pervades this thread persists, as it has for all Time. It is a constant in my travels, and I have come to find it comforting.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:45 pm UTC

Flotter wrote:
XonqNopp wrote:

On second thought, the rising caffeinsemencancerbaby level may be obvious to us, but not to Cueball and Megan. It's possible they only just had their suspicions confirmed.

That is what that last little tower Megan built is for. She stared at the water some, then built it as a marker. Now that the water has reached it, she can now confidently state the obvious.

Jafloi

Postby Jafloi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:56 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 219 out of 295 pages.

htom wrote:Blitzgirl -- Your communication received with great joy and rejoicing.

As was yours! I look forward to one day meeting those of you fortunate enough to tread this thread in the present Time.

I speak to you now from another dark era, pre-Recursion, where Cueball labors alone on the Sandcastle. The posts chatter endlessly of strange bestiality, involving an uncle named Jack beating off a horse (or somesuch). The Madness has ended, but the madness that pervades this thread persists, as it has for all Time. It is a constant in my travels, and I have come to find it comforting.

God luck with your reading, not much 'till you are there!
[unless the forum speeds up a lot]
buffygirl wrote:Jafloi, [...] I do hereby annoint you as Cardinal Jafloi of the Chicken Salad Sandwich, mayo optional.
...and Lightscribe (woodworker of time)

BlitzGirl: "wait fast, but wait well" *And good luck with the rest of your journey!!*You made it! Welcome!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:57 pm UTC

Is it just me, or does Megan look scared?

Possibly because they are going to drown n an endlessly rising sea of cancercaffeinesemenwtfbbqsaucebaconbabies.
“have i gone mad?

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

Hello Blitzgirl!

By the time you read this, you've caught up to page 295! Gratz!

These are exciting times!
Our two heroes seem to be stuck on their scaffolding, while the sea has almost reached the base of their glorious Castle of Sand!
For now we are unsure how they will handle this situation, but it looks like they are taking the advice of our Great Lord Randall and are waiting for it.

Keep going, you brave girl! you're almost there!

Kindest of regards,
man van de maan, not a Sandmason.
Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir!
Godspeed to all the OTT travelers! I am one of you now!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)
- The Croissant Man (or Period Guy, whatevs)

histrion

Postby histrion » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

So many Captain Obvious...
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

Kethryes

Postby Kethryes » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 219 out of 295 pages.

My past self say hello to the future you !

I must admit I tried to go on a similar quest as yours but I was weak and gave in to temptation and made Time jumps on several ocasions. Fortunately the Holy Wiki helped me in those dark Times to keep my (in)sanity, and follow what I could not witness by myself.
J Thomas wrote:From the evidence I have seen it looks utterly foolish to think it's ridiculous to doubt you are right.

histrion

Postby histrion » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

Kethryes wrote:I must admit I tried to go on a similar quest as yours but I was weak and gave in to temptation and made Time jumps on several ocasions. Fortunately the Holy Wiki helped me in those dark Times to keep my (in)sanity, and follow what I could not witness by myself.

Perhaps we need something like what they have in Second Life - a virtual Haaj to help the devout prepare for the real thing.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:10 pm UTC

seraku wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:And to think that way back, at the beginning of Time, there were people who thought it was an april fool's thing...
To think there were people who said that those guys were fools to assume the comic would go on until april 1st...

And yet here we are, still waiting for it.

Perhaps Randall has figured out how to manipulate time such that it is, in fact, still April 1st. Sort of like an inverted "Groundhog's Day", where in this case we only think time is moving forward.

Or, "Groundhog day". It's apposition, apparently! :-)
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:12 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
Kethryes wrote:I must admit I tried to go on a similar quest as yours but I was weak and gave in to temptation and made Time jumps on several ocasions. Fortunately the Holy Wiki helped me in those dark Times to keep my (in)sanity, and follow what I could not witness by myself.

Perhaps we need something like what they have in Second Life - a virtual Haaj to help the devout prepare for the real thing.

No, only the most powerful among us should be asked to do such a thing. I beleive Blitzgirl to be the last of her kind.

I've heard she is known among some people as the "Incoming Hurricane" and among the elves, she is called "Blitzrandir."

It is said she once wrestled a grue to submission.

Truly, noone should be held to the standard she set. we should try to emulate it, as we should any saint, but I doubt anyone could live up to her feat.
“have i gone mad?

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:17 pm UTC

Kazza3 wrote:
Exodies wrote:This may at first glance seem off-topic, but it prolly isn't. I have a question about Echoes on the Meddle album by Pink Floyd.
Is there something wrong with the first note? It seems to start too late.

What do you mean? Do you mean the very first note of effect-laden piano, which given that it's by itself and not entirely timed, can't really be late in any meaningful way; or where the guitar enters or where the drum enters in the intro, or where what I'd think of the song proper beginning?

Incredible song, in any case.

Very first piano note. Perhaps it's had its attack edited off, but it sounds damaged/rushed then everything is ok by the time the second note appears. It kind of wobbles.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Foarm

Postby Foarm » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:<snip>

Well, I didn't ask the Cardinals of the Western Paradox, so therefore their permission was given...

But I will also submit the request to the Bishops, Cardinals, and Pope-in-abstentia Helper (and/or Mome-to-be BlitzGirl when she gets here):

"Humbly I beseech thee, that I might better serve the church and give my utmost to it(')s defense, might I obtain the rank of Knight Temporal and have the name bestowed pre-emptively upon me by thine greatness?"

Hmmm...
I did a quick read up of BlitzGirl's posts and the ones in which she is mentioned. She has quite some messages from the past to read.
If she keeps the same average pace of ~15 newpages a day, she'll be here in 5 days (16 april).

@BlitzGirl: Good luck with continuing your pilgrimage!
squonk wrote:Looks like you grossly underestimated the passing of time.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:26 pm UTC

I wonder if anyone has trolled BlitzGirl by editing a post AFTER she has already read it.

I think, for the sake of science, that she needs to do a covert re-read sometime in the future.

9hili9

Postby 9hili9 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

Equipped as I am, with poor eyesight and a fevered imagination, the object on the left-hand platform looks suspiciously like a pot of paint with the end of the brush-handle just visible. The unevenness on the right-hand platform could equally be some fabric, suggesting that they might about to create a banner.

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:50 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

*aka Sir Vinnie LONGDONG

As High Holy Heretic of the Western Paradox Church, I must point out that our Church has no Cardinals.

It follows, of course, that we give our blessing.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

Kethryes

Postby Kethryes » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:I wonder if anyone has trolled BlitzGirl by editing a post AFTER she has already read it.

That would be a great Sin that only a heretic could suggest!
Prepare the stake!
J Thomas wrote:From the evidence I have seen it looks utterly foolish to think it's ridiculous to doubt you are right.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

Kethryes wrote:
Whizbang wrote:I wonder if anyone has trolled BlitzGirl by editing a post AFTER she has already read it.

Prepare the stake!

Orbital stake drop?

histrion

Postby histrion » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:56 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
Kethryes wrote:

Prepare the stake!

Orbital stake drop?

Only way to be sure. Which means, of course, that it's out of the question.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:57 pm UTC

htom wrote:They can't lift the ladder because the bottom is trapped in the sand, and the top is trapped between the post and the plank. They will have to lift the ladder end of the plank to free the ladder, or one of them descend the ladder and dig out the bottom.

In Frame 529, I think Cueball is fastening the ladder to the post. The ladder isn't out of reach because that's where he climbed up.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

Still sitting there

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
htom wrote:They can't lift the ladder because the bottom is trapped in the sand, and the top is trapped between the post and the plank. They will have to lift the ladder end of the plank to free the ladder, or one of them descend the ladder and dig out the bottom.

In Frame 529, I think Cueball is fastening the ladder to the post. The ladder isn't out of reach because that's where he climbed up.

Ah, but he climbed up before they fastened the platform. Therefore, the platform is above the ladder, making it difficult to reach the ladder.
Last edited by Whizbang on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

dreiarmumig

Postby dreiarmumig » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Edit: Ninja'd
Last edited by dreiarmumig on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
Kethryes wrote:

Prepare the stake!

Orbital stake drop?

Just drop the whole cow.
edit: on second thought, let's throw them in the comfy chair, and dunk him in chocolate.

then let the semencancerbabies loose.
Last edited by Dracomax on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
“have i gone mad?

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

Any speculation as to why they would build a platform and then just sit there, waiting for the water to rise? If they wanted to drop a banner or something, they could have done that already. If they're trying to escape the water, well, they really didn't need a platform for that -- there's obviously somewhere else they can go, like to the Home Depot or wherever they're getting their supplies from. . .

I'm also still wondering what Megan meant in frame 408 by her comment, "I don't understand what the sea is doing." As far as I can tell, it's behaving normally.

This is kind of like the TV show "Lost". Lots of mysteries, open questions, and viewers waiting for a satisfying explanation!
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
Kazza3 wrote:
Exodies wrote:This may at first glance seem off-topic, but it prolly isn't. I have a question about Echoes on the Meddle album by Pink Floyd.

What do you mean? Do you mean the very first note of effect-laden piano, which given that it's by itself and not entirely timed, can't really be late in any meaningful way; or where the guitar enters or where the drum enters in the intro, or where what I'd think of the song proper beginning?

Very first piano note. Perhaps it's had its attack edited off, but it sounds damaged/rushed then everything is ok by the time the second note appears. It kind of wobbles.

I don't think it starts late. Echoes take a while to get to you. You just have to wait for it...

EDIT'd to change "a whole" to "a while." Although waiting only part of a while is insufficient (as we have long known in Time), so you do need the whole while...
Last edited by StratPlayer on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:Any speculation as to why they would build a platform and then just sit there, waiting for the water to rise? If they wanted to drop a banner or something, they could have done that already. If they're trying to escape the water, well, they really didn't need a platform for that -- there's obviously somewhere else they can go, like to the Home Depot or wherever they're getting their supplies from. . .

I'm also still wondering what Megan meant in frame 408 by her comment, "I don't understand what the sea is doing." As far as I can tell, it's behaving normally.

This is kind of like the TV show "Lost". Lots of mysteries, open questions, and viewers waiting for a satisfying explanation!

Obviously at least one of them has discovered they are acrophobic. or the ladder is just out of reach. or they are tired.

but, it's most likely cancer.
“have i gone mad?

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Exodies wrote:
Kazza3 wrote:

I don't think it starts late. Echoes take a whale to get to you. You just have to wait for it...

FTFY

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Exodies wrote:
Kazza3 wrote:

I don't think it starts late. Echoes take a whale to get to you. You just have to wait for it...

FTFY

Thanks!

It does take a whole whale a while to get to you, and the echoes of it(')s arrival do indeed linger on...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”