1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

StratPlayer

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Ebonite wrote:Any speculation as to why they would build a platform and then just sit there, waiting for the water to rise? If they wanted to drop a banner or something, they could have done that already. If they're trying to escape the water, well, they really didn't need a platform for that -- there's obviously somewhere else they can go, like to the Home Depot or wherever they're getting their supplies from. . .

I'm also still wondering what Megan meant in frame 408 by her comment, "I don't understand what the sea is doing." As far as I can tell, it's behaving normally.

This is kind of like the TV show "Lost". Lots of mysteries, open questions, and viewers waiting for a satisfying explanation!

Obviously at least one of them has discovered they are acrophobic. or the ladder is just out of reach. or they are tired.

but, it's most likely cancer.

Or a baby. A baby would definitely keep M&C up a lot...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:13 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Ebonite wrote:Any speculation as to why they would build a platform and then just sit there, waiting for the water to rise? If they wanted to drop a banner or something, they could have done that already. If they're trying to escape the water, well, they really didn't need a platform for that -- there's obviously somewhere else they can go, like to the Home Depot or wherever they're getting their supplies from. . .

I'm also still wondering what Megan meant in frame 408 by her comment, "I don't understand what the sea is doing." As far as I can tell, it's behaving normally.

This is kind of like the TV show "Lost". Lots of mysteries, open questions, and viewers waiting for a satisfying explanation!

Obviously at least one of them has discovered they are acrophobic. or the ladder is just out of reach. or they are tired.

Maybe the baby has cancer?
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Foarm

Postby Foarm » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:16 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
Kethryes wrote:
Whizbang wrote:I wonder if anyone has trolled BlitzGirl by editing a post AFTER she has already read it.

That would be a great Sin that only a heretic could suggest!
Prepare the stake!

Orbital stake drop?

Just drop the whole cow.
edit: on second thought, let's throw them in the comfy chair, and dunk him in chocolate.

then let the semencancerbabies loose.

If you're going to dunk him in chocolate, please also fetch the cushions1

On the other hand, chocolate and cotton candy would make an ideal replacement for the tarring and feathering thingy.

1Preferably down cushions2
2Preferably ripped open
squonk wrote:Looks like you grossly underestimated the passing of time.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:17 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

Of course. That's why it was miscarried.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Kethryes

Postby Kethryes » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

Are we back to that era... again?
J Thomas wrote:From the evidence I have seen it looks utterly foolish to think it's ridiculous to doubt you are right.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

Kethryes wrote:

What can I say, it was Time.

Besides, I would have speculated they were trying to keep themselves safe from velociraptors, but I didn't want to jump to conclusions.
“have i gone mad?

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Kethryes wrote:

Besides, I would have speculated they were trying to keep themselves safe from velociraptors, but I didn't want to jump to conclusions.

And it wouldn't work anyway if the velociraptors had hoverboards.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Kethryes wrote:

Yes, but if the 'raptors have hoverboards, what can we realistically do to protect ourselves from them? they're clever girls, according to this movie I saw.
“have i gone mad?

Foarm

Postby Foarm » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Kethryes wrote:

Yes, but if the 'raptors have hoverboards, what can we realistically do to protect ourselves from them? they're clever girls, according to this movie I saw.

Maybe the indestructible box could be used
squonk wrote:Looks like you grossly underestimated the passing of time.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:34 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Kethryes wrote:

If they do have hoverboards, we'll have to implement Plan 9 and unleash the Solanite Bomb!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:38 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Kethryes wrote:

If they do have hoverboards, we'll have to implement Plan 9 and unleash the Solanite Bomb!
Detonate sunlight? You Madman! We'd be better off sterilizing this planet, so long as the 'raptors don't have spacecraft.
“have i gone mad?

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Exodies wrote:
Kazza3 wrote:
Exodies wrote:This may at first glance seem off-topic, but it prolly isn't. I have a question about Echoes on the Meddle album by Pink Floyd.
Is there something wrong with the first note? It seems to start too late.

What do you mean? Do you mean the very first note of effect-laden piano, which given that it's by itself and not entirely timed, can't really be late in any meaningful way; or where the guitar enters or where the drum enters in the intro, or where what I'd think of the song proper beginning?

Incredible song, in any case.

Very first piano note. Perhaps it's had its attack edited off, but it sounds damaged/rushed then everything is ok by the time the second note appears. It kind of wobbles.

I don't think it starts late. Echoes take a while to get to you. You just have to wait for it...

EDIT'd to change "a whole" to "a while." Although waiting only part of a while is insufficient (as we have long known in Time), so you do need the whole while...

"Prolly"? Makes me shudder.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

How long will the Randall keep this up? Again, not much has changed.

Ptarr

Postby Ptarr » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:or the ladder is just out of reach.

This seems to be the case, given frame 529, it looks like Cueball placed the ladder badly, so that it ended up under the plank they pulled up and is now out of reach. OTOH, at worst, they should be able to lower the plank again to get back to the ladder instead of waiting on top. Odd...

seraku

Postby seraku » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

Flotter wrote:How long will the Randall keep this up? Again, not much has changed.

I wonder how long it would last if he continued until one of the newpix hashes to the target value from the Externalities comic's challenge.

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Kethryes wrote:

Detonate sunlight? You Madman! We'd be better off sterilizing this planet, so long as the 'raptors don't have spacecraft.

Wait, I thought Plan 9 was the replacement for the system used to en/disable the power grid that came with better graphics so that not only could they access the security controls but they could do a whole virtual tour of the island

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:16 pm UTC

Davidy wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Exodies wrote:
Kazza3 wrote:
Exodies wrote:This may at first glance seem off-topic, but it prolly isn't. I have a question about Echoes on the Meddle album by Pink Floyd.

What do you mean? Do you mean the very first note of effect-laden piano, which given that it's by itself and not entirely timed, can't really be late in any meaningful way; or where the guitar enters or where the drum enters in the intro, or where what I'd think of the song proper beginning?

Very first piano note. Perhaps it's had its attack edited off, but it sounds damaged/rushed then everything is ok by the time the second note appears. It kind of wobbles.

I don't think it starts late. Echoes take a while to get to you. You just have to wait for it...

EDIT'd to change "a whole" to "a while." Although waiting only part of a while is insufficient (as we have long known in Time), so you do need the whole while...

Prol-ly adv. Acting in a way that exhibits, contains, or exemplifies prol.
Prol noun. The essence of the Proletariat; Crudeness; Of lower taste and standing.

So I took it to mean, "to the Proletariat, this might seem off-topic."
Last edited by StratPlayer on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:17 pm UTC

I really want to be a Knight Temporal! What do I do to join?
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

sshaikh

Postby sshaikh » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

Maybe what happens in the comic is feeding off what is being said in this thread?

VeloCityGirl

Postby VeloCityGirl » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

GerardE wrote:
edo wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:The word 'pope' is related is from the Greek 'papas' (originally meaning 'father'. See also 'papa'). So a female pope should be a mope.

Or rather, a mome.

I'm guessing the Greek for mother is something like "mammas" and not "mapas", so it'd be mome rather than mope, though you guys should have a group off four popes and momes and call them the Mamas and the Papas.

according to the fallible google translate it would be metera, in consonants equal to mother. So "Mote" it should be.

I like Mote, as we are dealing with Sand. It also recalls 'The Mote in God's Eye.'

_____________________________________________-
awaiting a sig from the future
VeloCityGIrl, now hatted! Thanks buffygirl.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Kethryes wrote:

Wait, I thought Plan 9 was the replacement for the system used to en/disable the power grid that came with better graphics so that not only could they access the security controls but they could do a whole virtual tour of the island

Not the Plan 9 that came from outer space. That one involved reanimated zombies, Bela Lugosi, and bad dialog.

Kethryes

Postby Kethryes » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

Tatiana wrote:I really want to be a Knight Temporal! What do I do to join?

Well you can ask another Knight (Or more precisely, the only other knight) to make you knight I believe.
However since this is temporal knighthood we talk about, your future self which has become a knight can knight you, creating a knighting paradox.

Which basicaly comes down to auto-proclaiming you Knight Temporal :lol:
J Thomas wrote:From the evidence I have seen it looks utterly foolish to think it's ridiculous to doubt you are right.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
airdrik wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Kethryes wrote:

Not the Plan 9 that came from outer space. That one involved reanimated zombies, Bela Lugosi, and bad dialog.

Also, the spaceships have cables that stretch up into space.
Kethryes wrote:

Well you can ask another Knight (Or more precisely, the only other knight) to make you knight I believe.
However since this is temporal knighthood we talk about, your future self which has become a knight can knight you, creating a knighting paradox.

In re: knighthood. I think it's also established that nobility and clergy can make you a knight. however, only bishops or cardinals can give you a knightly name.
“have i gone mad?

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:Any speculation as to why they would build a platform and then just sit there, waiting for the water to rise?

Megan: maybe you can't...

Ebonite wrote:I'm also still wondering what Megan meant in frame 408 by her comment, "I don't understand what the sea is doing." As far as I can tell, it's behaving normally.

If rising very irregularly over the course of surely many more than 6 hours is “behaving normally”, then it's behaving normally.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Kethryes wrote:

In re: knighthood. I think it's also established that nobility and clergy can make you a knight. however, only bishops or cardinals can give you a knightly name.

Does "EboKnight" count as a knightly name? If so, then I created a paradox by giving myself a knightly name before the rule that said only bishops or cardinals can give me a knightly name existed.

Actually, the way TheOneComic is going, I feel more like a pawn than a knight. . .
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:40 pm UTC

Kethryes wrote:

I've been considering myself a de facto member for a while, but the time has finally come for I, HAL 9000, to declare myself of the order of the Knights Temporal, Guardians of Newpix Greatness!
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

Kethryes wrote:

I, future Knight Temporal Tatiana do hereby declare Tatiana a Knight Temporal. Kneel, Tatiana, and receive the customary symbolic ritual knighthood-making ceremonial sword, breastplate, helmet, trebuchet, noble steed, 10,000 frame hourglass, first-class seat upgrade, time-turner, permission to go back into the past and knight yourself, and door pass to the Knight's Temporal Tavern, including ticket for one free libation at participating locations only.
(While I'm knighting myself I figure I need to get some cool toys at the same time.)

<kneels and accepts>

I hereby declare you Knight Temporal Tatiana, or Temptat, for short.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

Tatiana wrote:
Kethryes wrote:

I, future Knight Temporal Tatiana do hereby declare Tatiana a Knight Temporal. Kneel, Tatiana, and receive the customary symbolic ritual knighthood-making ceremonial sword, breastplate, helmet, trebuchet, noble steed, 10,000 frame hourglass, first-class seat upgrade, time-turner, permission to go back into the past and knight yourself, and door pass to the Knight's Temporal Tavern, including ticket for one free libation at participating locations only.
(While I'm knighting myself I figure I need to get some cool toys at the same time.)

<kneels and accepts>

So are the charged atoms in your body the Temptat-ions?
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

histrion

Postby histrion » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:46 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:So are the charged atoms in your body the Temptat-ions?

It's come to this, then, has it? :roll:
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:51 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Tatiana wrote:
Kethryes wrote:

<kneels and accepts>

So are the charged atoms in your body the Temptat-ions?

You got it! (I'm positive.)

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:54 pm UTC

Tatiana wrote:
<snip>

...including ticket for one free libation at participating locations only.

Like at the Restaurant of the Thyme Waiters. Although, I do have to be careful, as I can see how this might go:

Thyme Waiter Maitre D': "Welcome Sir Knight! And you are...?"
Me: "Sir Vinnie LONGDONG."
Thyme Waiter Maitre D': "Why yes we do, Sir. Our Holy Chef has a wonderful recipe for it, although the LONGDONG is a bit rare."
Me: "Thank you! It is rare, indeed!"
Last edited by StratPlayer on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:54 pm UTC

Davidy wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Exodies wrote:
Kazza3 wrote:

Ah. You prefer "proberly"?
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

dwilhelmi

Postby dwilhelmi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:56 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:Any speculation as to why they would build a platform and then just sit there, waiting for the water to rise?

What if the water continually rises and falls, and the platform is simply a place for them to wait for the rising to wipe out their creation so that they can start over? What if this:
Cueball wrote:I don't think we can build it much taller than this

was not a statement of lack of ability, but rather a restriction based off of how high they already know the water will rise? What if they have already built the castle before, and the platform, and the beginning of Time was merely our insertion into their loop of buildcastle-buildplatform-waitforwater-teardownplatform-repeat?

Millah

Postby Millah » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

Eshru

Postby Eshru » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Kethryes wrote:

Ah, but hover boards would be foiled by the rising water, as they don't work over even shallow pools.
Last edited by Eshru on Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

dwilhelmi wrote:

What if the water continually rises and falls, and the platform is simply a place for them to wait for the rising to wipe out their creation so that they can start over? What if this:
Cueball wrote:I don't think we can build it much taller than this

was not a statement of lack of ability, but rather a restriction based off of how high they already know the water will rise? What if they have already built the castle before, and the platform, and the beginning of Time was merely our insertion into their loop of buildcastle-buildplatform-waitforwater-teardownplatform-repeat?

Ah. the circular time theory. unless it comes true, it's heresy. bring out...the Comfy chair!
Eshru wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Kethryes wrote:

Ah, but hover boards would be foiled by the rising water, as they don't work over even shallow pools.

unless they have a mad dog board...
“have i gone mad?

treadman

Postby treadman » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:07 pm UTC

Perhaps the sandcastles are their accomplishments in life, sometimes working together, sometimes separately. Later, they built planks, preparing for the sea to rise, trying to delay the eventual end that we all must face. The sea rising being the metaphor for Time, the destroyer of everything.

Montov

Postby Montov » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

Mega is going to junp on the sandcastle at the right. She needs to miss the flag though...

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

Montov wrote:Mega is going to junp on the sandcastle at the right. She needs to miss the flag though...

Dude, this must be a power question, 'cause I'm all, like, "Mega?? What???"

kenag122002

Postby kenag122002 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

Montov wrote:Mega is going to junp on the sandcastle at the right. She needs to miss the flag though...

Or is she going for the rope?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”