1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Qalyar

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Qalyar » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

dwilhelmi wrote:
Ebonite wrote:Any speculation as to why they would build a platform and then just sit there, waiting for the water to rise?

What if the water continually rises and falls, and the platform is simply a place for them to wait for the rising to wipe out their creation so that they can start over? What if this:
Cueball wrote:I don't think we can build it much taller than this

was not a statement of lack of ability, but rather a restriction based off of how high they already know the water will rise? What if they have already built the castle before, and the platform, and the beginning of Time was merely our insertion into their loop of buildcastle-buildplatform-waitforwater-teardownplatform-repeat?

I remain stalwart in my antilooparianism. Although certain aspects of history are cyclical, there is no reason to expect the same is true of Time itself.

Also, more philosophically, for us to assume that Time will eventually repeat itself is to question the One True Command. Let us assume for the moment that Time is in fact cyclical. There are thus two possibilities for the number of loops. Either there is a single First Loop, followed by a presumably infinite number of repetitions, or else there is no First Loop and Time repeats in both directions without bound. In either case, there is no reason to believe that we are bearing witness to the First Loop; there is no such thing in the latter, and in the former, the mediocrity principle should deter us from believing that we are specially situated to see one specific loop out of an infinite number. Accordingly, Looped Time invalidates the need to "Wait for it." Even if we personally are not aware of the previous iteration of Looped Time, that knowledge would still be available, and the need to truly "Wait for it" would be correspondingly eliminated.

We know, however, that we must "Wait for it." For this to be true, either Time must not be cyclical, or we must be in the staggeringly exception position to be watching the unique first loop out of an infinite number of loops, a situation that Bayesian inference reveals as laughable implausible.

Time is thus a singular thing. We know that, at some point, it began. We know that it continues. Perhaps it will continue without end, and the One True Command merely serves to remind us to take inspiration from each passing newpix. Or perhaps, Time will End, and those of us who have stayed true to the Command will be lifted up to whatever awaits us beyond Time itself. We cannot know these things; we must wait for it. But knowing that there is not likely to be a simple loop, we can take solace that Time is worth the wait.

histrion

Postby histrion » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:26 pm UTC

Qalyar wrote:We know, however, that we must "Wait for it."

No, we only know that we've read the words "Wait for it." You ostensibly reject infinite loops through the Mediocrity Principle, but then abandon said principle in assuming that those words were written for us, by Randall, with benevolent intent.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

Qalyar wrote:
dwilhelmi wrote:
Ebonite wrote:Any speculation as to why they would build a platform and then just sit there, waiting for the water to rise?

What if the water continually rises and falls, and the platform is simply a place for them to wait for the rising to wipe out their creation so that they can start over? What if this:

was not a statement of lack of ability, but rather a restriction based off of how high they already know the water will rise? What if they have already built the castle before, and the platform, and the beginning of Time was merely our insertion into their loop of buildcastle-buildplatform-waitforwater-teardownplatform-repeat?

I remain stalwart in my antilooparianism. Although certain aspects of history are cyclical, there is no reason to expect the same is true of Time itself.

Also, more philosophically, for us to assume that Time will eventually repeat itself is to question the One True Command. Let us assume for the moment that Time is in fact cyclical. There are thus two possibilities for the number of loops. Either there is a single First Loop, followed by a presumably infinite number of repetitions, or else there is no First Loop and Time repeats in both directions without bound. In either case, there is no reason to believe that we are bearing witness to the First Loop; there is no such thing in the latter, and in the former, the mediocrity principle should deter us from believing that we are specially situated to see one specific loop out of an infinite number. Accordingly, Looped Time invalidates the need to "Wait for it." Even if we personally are not aware of the previous iteration of Looped Time, that knowledge would still be available, and the need to truly "Wait for it" would be correspondingly eliminated.

We know, however, that we must "Wait for it." For this to be true, either Time must not be cyclical, or we must be in the staggeringly exception position to be watching the unique first loop out of an infinite number of loops, a situation that Bayesian inference reveals as laughable implausible.

Time is thus a singular thing. We know that, at some point, it began. We know that it continues. Perhaps it will continue without end, and the One True Command merely serves to remind us to take inspiration from each passing newpix. Or perhaps, Time will End, and those of us who have stayed true to the Command will be lifted up to whatever awaits us beyond Time itself. We cannot know these things; we must wait for it. But knowing that there is not likely to be a simple loop, we can take solace that Time is worth the wait.

Well-thought out and logically presented (which clearly has no place in this thread! Heretic!!!).

I also agree that either objectively or subjectively, Time will End. If only because, if nothing else, my imperfect human body will fail before it(')s finish -- after all, 'Good health' is really just 'dying at the slowest possible rate'.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:Does "Ebonite" count as a knightly name?

It certainly counts as a ballsy one.

Montov

Postby Montov » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:37 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Montov wrote:Mega is going to junp on the sandcastle at the right. She needs to miss the flag though...

Dude, this must be a power question, 'cause I'm all, like, "Mega?? What???"

My n is a bit shy.

Would be cool if this comic involved something with a megawatt.

dwilhelmi

Postby dwilhelmi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:39 pm UTC

Qalyar wrote:
dwilhelmi wrote:

Unless "Wait for it" is merely what Cueball and Megan are doing, and have been doing, and will continue doing. Building the sandcastle, shooting the trebuchet, building the platform - maybe all of that is really just them Waiting for "it" - the sea.

Notice that when Cueball returns to the scene at 463, and Megan is building the platform, he immediately knows how to help her, with no instructions - almost like he had done it before...

Qalyar

Postby Qalyar » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:49 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
Qalyar wrote:We know, however, that we must "Wait for it."

No, we only know that we've read the words "Wait for it." You ostensibly reject infinite loops through the Mediocrity Principle, but then abandon said principle in assuming that those words were written for us, by Randall, with benevolent intent.

I will agree that the presence of "Wait for it" does not imply the existence of Randall. While there are certainly religious groups that suggest those words must be the voice of a benevolent Creator, such statements are non-falsifiable.

However, we know that "Wait for it" is fundamental to the nature of Time itself. We know that Time has changed in many ways since its beginning. We have demonstrable evidence of reference frame dragging. We know, in fact, that the very fabric of Time is subject to changes in scale. Certainly the rate of newpigenesis is not constant, especially once we consider the presence of an early "inflationary" epoch. The aforementioned frame dragging, combined with the momentary fluctuation associated with the tiny trebuchet period, tells us that the fine-structure constant is not constant; neither the Planck pixel nor the Plank pixel are immutable.

But despite all of this, "Wait for it" has not changed. It has not been shifted. It has not expanded nor contracted. It has remained exactly as it was from the moment that Time was first observed until the present newpix. Whether that is because it represents the hand of some Creator or is simply an observable aspect of the fundamental physical nature of Time is best left to the theologians and philosophers.

However, arguing that it is inherently inaccurate or lacks special meaning seams contrary to any rational exploration of Temporal Cosmology.

VeloCityGirl

Postby VeloCityGirl » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:
elementropy wrote:
Davidy wrote:
elementropy wrote:
Exodies wrote:
Davidy wrote:Why is Queball such a slacker? Megan does about 95% of the work.

Only 15% of statistical claims use a made up percentage figure.

At least 50% of commenters referencing the first post quoted above believe that the percentage of made-up figures is potentially much higher.

To set the record straight, I went through 529 frames (to date) and counted each frame where either Queball or Megan were doing actual work - not counting when they were standing, walking, squating, etc; but doing actual lifting, pushing, pulling, forming, etc.

The score:
Queball, 176 frames; 47% of the work
Megan, 197 frames, 53% of the work

I didn't break it down further but observed that Queball's work was greater in the early frames; Megan's work greater in the later frames.

That's broken down by frames. How about in Joules?

Joules would be hard to work out sorry. One Joule is equal to one watt of power for one second. When time is like it is in this world how do you measure it?

d take
Joules do not have an inherent time component, they are just a unit of energy. You measure the work done in a frame, and calculate how many Joules it would take to complete that work.

treadman

Postby treadman » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:53 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote: -- after all, 'Good health' is really just 'dying at the slowest possible rate'.

Reminds me of the "death postponer" Cueball is about to throw to the guy in the water in Click and Drag.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

dwilhelmi wrote:
Qalyar wrote:
dwilhelmi wrote:

Unless "Wait for it" is merely what Cueball and Megan are doing, and have been doing, and will continue doing. Building the sandcastle, shooting the trebuchet, building the platform - maybe all of that is really just them Waiting for "it" - the sea.

Notice that when Cueball returns to the scene at 463, and Megan is building the platform, he immediately knows how to help her, with no instructions - almost like he had done it before...

What we are missing, is that they are communicating via text message, so it appears that they are not talking, but really we just can't distinguish their tiny cellphones in their tiny 2D stick figure hands.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

This is the key...
Vet: Yes ... well I think I can definitely say that your cat badly needs to be confused.
Mrs B: What?
Mr A: Sh! What?
Vet: Confused. To shake it out of its state of complacency. I'm afraid I'm not personally qualified to confuse cats, but I can recommend an extremely good service. Here is their card.
Mrs B: (reading card) Oooh. 'Confuse-a-Cat Limited'.
Mr A :'Confuse-a-Cat Limited'.'
Mrs B: Oh.

Cut to large van arriving. On one side is a large sign readling 'Confuse-a-Cat Limited: Europe's leading cat-confusing service. By appointment to...' and a crest. Several people get out of the van, dressed in white coats, with peaked caps and insignia. One of them has a sergeant's stripes.
Sergeant: Squad! Eyes front! Stand at ease. Cat confusers ...shun!
From a following car a general alights.

General: Well men, we've got a pretty difficult cat to confuse today so let's get straight on with it. Jolly good. Thank you sergeant.
Sergeant: Confusers attend to the van and fetch out...

jcleese.jpg
jcleese.jpg (6.5 KiB) Viewed 8411 times

wait for it...

fetch out the funny things.

(the men unload the van)

Move, move, move. One, two, one, two, get those funny things off.

The workmen are completing the erection of a proscenium with curtains in front of the still immobile cat. A and B watch with awe. The arrangements are completed. All stand ready.

Sergeant: Stage ready for confusing, sir!

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

Pole Dancing
It's about time.

histrion

Postby histrion » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

Wnderer wrote:One, two, one, two, get those funny things off.

Said the madam attending the clown convention.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:20 pm UTC

"Brethren! I must tell you, as . . . I must confess," sobs, and tries again, "The draw of the Outside has lately pulled me more and more greatly," sobs .... again . . . "I . . . I don't know how to explain . . . I . . . I . . .” she gasps again, "I, Timewaiter Arch-Cardinal Buffygirl, She who Rises From The Flames Like A Phoenix To Continue With Her Pursuit of Hat Perfection, I, " she pauses and starts over, after a deep a breath states, "I am not current with the Great Forum. I am a mere 'three pages' (or so) behind. I am not . . . current. However, the Great Arch-Cardinal buffygirl does hereby vow, that..." she sifts through her notecards, attempting to look all casual and stuff, like she's just sifting through a bunch of cards, and .... partially succeeding, "That I remain as devout a TimeWaiter as ever, and I thoroughly believe I have upheld my role and," dramatic pause, "I Wait For It.”

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:20 pm UTC

Eliram wrote:Pole Dancing

Beware the splinters!

Really, really, uncomfortable splinters.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

FayZee

Postby FayZee » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:Did Cueball fasten the ladder to the structure?

and
Whizbang wrote:
Exodies wrote:
htom wrote:They can't lift the ladder because the bottom is trapped in the sand, and the top is trapped between the post and the plank. They will have to lift the ladder end of the plank to free the ladder, or one of them descend the ladder and dig out the bottom.

In Frame 529, I think Cueball is fastening the ladder to the post. The ladder isn't out of reach because that's where he climbed up.

Ah, but he climbed up before they fastened the platform. Therefore, the platform is above the ladder, making it difficult to reach the ladder.

Why would he fasten it? I think that frame shows the ladder out of his reach.

The bottom of the ladder would surely only be trapped in the sand if the sea were already covering the bottom of the ladder. But he should still have been able to drag it out sideways if he could have reached it.

We can assume that the two left-most "planks" must be over 6ft in the y direction, because Cueball was unable to reach the ladder beneath. I vote we refer to them as boards from now on.

Plus, to support this hypothesis, narrow planks arranged in that configuration would hardly create a safe, stable platform.

Frame 421 sees Megan bringing on the first board. It could well be 6ft wide. We have no proof that Cueball isn't at the other end off-frame. Ditto frames 425, 428 and 434, and especially frame 442 where she is bearing its weight on her head (she's tired by now). Then in frame 422 Cueball could be behind/in front of the left-most castle. Frame 435 shows it looking like it has breadth.

Note frame 463, in which for the first time we see two distinct strands of rope from one of the uprights.

So, now we know they are quite large boards, we can assume they would need many nails. That's what they needed the box for.

Flotter wrote:They still have the ropes they used for hoisting the planck, maybe they could use these to liberate the ladder.

Rope is too flexible. If the ladder is out of reach, he will need a rigid stick with a hook on the end.

Ptarr wrote:
Dracomax wrote:or the ladder is just out of reach.

This seems to be the case, given frame 529, it looks like Cueball placed the ladder badly, so that it ended up under the plank they pulled up and is now out of reach. OTOH, at worst, they should be able to lower the plank again to get back to the ladder instead of waiting on top. Odd...

They would have to raise the central board, not lower it. But they fixed it so securely that they cannot now lift it. They don't have the appropriate tools.

TemporaryLife wrote:
Jafloi wrote:
TemporaryLife wrote:
Flotter wrote:Image

Everyone seems quite caught up about religion, and yet nobody noticed that these last few panels, with them sitting up there, have been pretty similar to the very first ones, where the only change was Megan turning her head.

I'm just saying.

Interesting thought, there is really a striking similarity... but what then with the dialogue in frame 531?

I planned on just chalking that up to the exhaustion that one might experience after building a small castle, a bit more, a bit more, a LOT more, destroying part of it, rebuilding, building more, destroying... you get the idea. I imagine they just want to relax now.

Who knows? I was mostly just observing that these minimally changing panels have them doing the same thing as the beginning. Bookending is definitely the kind of thing that Randall would do.

They have been building ever-decreasing castle complexes, and as always happens with manual repetition, errors slip in. They forgot to move the ladder this time.

Jafloi wrote:Is it possible that the box on the left side of the structure is actually a lunch-basket, and they are out for a picnic?

What if it contains miniature trebuchet, miniature poles, miniature flags, etc.

If they've already built multiple castle complexes, they might want to just build smaller out of repetition-tedium or maybe as they are just too restricted for space up there.

TemporaryLife wrote:As a side note, I was going to ask if anyone felt gypped that we didn't get an April Fool's thing like we normally do, but then I realized that we got THIS, which is way better.

We got the "April 1st" hash contest - 1193 Externalities* - with xkcd members vandalising Wikipedia (so in a way Wikipedia mods got the April Fool's thing).
*Anyone else staggered that the donation amount is now at $49,114.23 as I post this? It stood at $49,084.23 when I started this post :o I've been monitoring the figure on a daily basis.

Whizbang wrote:
Flotter wrote:
XonqNopp wrote:
Flotter wrote:Captain Obvious to the rescue!

Yeah, but there also exist people who are not following this as well as we do, and who do not know the fora...

(Actually, do these people really exist??)

On second thought, the rising caffeinsemencancerbaby level may be obvious to us, but not to Cueball and Megan. It's possible they only just had their suspicions confirmed.

That is what that last little tower Megan built is for. She stared at the water some, then built it as a marker. Now that the water has reached it, she can now confidently state the obvious.

That figures.

Ebonite wrote:Any speculation as to why they would build a platform and then just sit there, waiting for the water to rise? If they wanted to drop a banner or something, they could have done that already. If they're trying to escape the water, well, they really didn't need a platform for that -- there's obviously somewhere else they can go, like to the Home Depot or wherever they're getting their supplies from. . .

I'm also still wondering what Megan meant in frame 408 by her comment, "I don't understand what the sea is doing." As far as I can tell, it's behaving normally.

This is kind of like the TV show "Lost". Lots of mysteries, open questions, and viewers waiting for a satisfying explanation!

That's a Holy Mystery.

Not necessarily. She may simply be hanging off the board by her fingertips, ready to let herself drop.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:27 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:

Beware the splinters!

Assuming the pole is made of wood. I would guess not. She carried them in by herself, and they seem quite large. My guess is a hollow alluminum pole.

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

I, Sir Not-Yet-Named of the Order of the Knights Temporal, believe I have decoded the message left for us among the pix (new, nu, long, etc...) by the Great One:
Time flies like a river, sand flies like a trebuchet
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Caswallon wrote:

Beware the splinters!

Assuming the pole is made of wood. I would guess not. She carried them in by herself, and they seem quite large. My guess is a hollow alluminum pole.

Aluminum Splinters, even worse!

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:37 pm UTC

Ack. I've been sick for two days and missed everything in that time. Thank goodness for Aubronwood. Now to catch up on the speculation I've missed.

:shock: Last time I was on this thread, it was in the 260s.
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Your Eternal Servant And Companion Through Time,
Dame Not-Bob
Temporal Defender Of The One True Comic

Montov

Postby Montov » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:Ack. I've been sick for two days and missed everything in that time. Thank goodness for Aubronwood. Now to catch up on the speculation I've missed.

:shock: Last time I was on this thread, it was in the 260s.

Those were the Dark Ages. Named after the color of the pixels of the comic.

FayZee

Postby FayZee » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

Foarm wrote:Hmmm...
I did a quick read up of BlitzGirl's posts and the ones in which she is mentioned. She has quite some messages from the past to read.
If she keeps the same average pace of ~15 newpages a day, she'll be here in 5 days (16 april).

@BlitzGirl: Good luck with continuing your pilgrimage!

Have you heard of the Mabinogian? Pwyll, Prince of Dyfed sends his best horsemen after Rhiannon. She rides a magical horse, who can outrun any other horse, and although Pwyll's men are galloping and Rhiannon only travelling slowly, they never catch up. Except this is BlitzGirl galloping after us lot, who are only slowly advancing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwyll_Pendefig_Dyfed

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:"Brethren! I must tell you, as . . . I must confess," sobs, and tries again, "The draw of the Outside has lately pulled me more and more greatly," sobs .... again . . . "I . . . I don't know how to explain . . . I . . . I . . .” she gasps again, "I, Timewaiter Arch-Cardinal Buffygirl, She who Rises From The Flames Like A Phoenix To Continue With Her Pursuit of Hat Perfection, I, " she pauses and starts over, after a deep a breath states, "I am not current with the Great Forum. I am a mere 'three pages' (or so) behind. I am not . . . current. However, the Great Arch-Cardinal buffygirl does hereby vow, that..." she sifts through her notecards, attempting to look all casual and stuff, like she's just sifting through a bunch of cards, and .... partially succeeding, "That I remain as devout a TimeWaiter as ever, and I thoroughly believe I have upheld my role and," dramatic pause, "I Wait For It.”

Fear not! You will catch up with Time in time, and all will be well.

Just wait a little bit faster and you'll be here in almost no Time at all...

I for one, will certainly hold no grudge with your Cardinal slackerness!*

*Provided you apply your Cardinal approval to my proposed Knight Temporal name**
**see signature below.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

WeWanttheFunk

Postby WeWanttheFunk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:50 pm UTC

There was a Far Side Comic way back in 1981 that was relevant to our ongoing Odyssey...

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

FayZee wrote:
Foarm wrote:Hmmm...
I did a quick read up of BlitzGirl's posts and the ones in which she is mentioned. She has quite some messages from the past to read.
If she keeps the same average pace of ~15 newpages a day, she'll be here in 5 days (16 april).

@BlitzGirl: Good luck with continuing your pilgrimage!

Have you heard of the Mabinogian? Pwyll, Prince of Dyfed sends his best horsemen after Rhiannon. She rides a magical horse, who can outrun any other horse, and although Pwyll's men are galloping and Rhiannon only travelling slowly, they never catch up. Except this is BlitzGirl galloping after us lot, who are only slowly advancing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwyll_Pendefig_Dyfed

See also Zeno's Paradoxes*

*provided you can get past the half-way point...

WeWanttheFunk

Postby WeWanttheFunk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

Come to think of it: Far Side might have been the xkcd of its day. Nerd-oriented enough, for sure. Larsen had to appeal to a broader audience, of course, so couldn't afford to take the kind of risks that Munroe does...

WeWanttheFunk

Postby WeWanttheFunk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

The sporadic use of themes was common to the two comics; xkcd's "My hobby" bringing the same kind of re-occurring delight as The Far Side's "trouble brewing"...

htom

Postby htom » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:56 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
buffygirl wrote:"Brethren! I must tell you, as . . . I must confess," sobs, and tries again, "The draw of the Outside has lately pulled me more and more greatly," sobs .... again . . . "I . . . I don't know how to explain . . . I . . . I . . .” she gasps again, "I, Timewaiter Arch-Cardinal Buffygirl, She who Rises From The Flames Like A Phoenix To Continue With Her Pursuit of Hat Perfection, I, " she pauses and starts over, after a deep a breath states, "I am not current with the Great Forum. I am a mere 'three pages' (or so) behind. I am not . . . current. However, the Great Arch-Cardinal buffygirl does hereby vow, that..." she sifts through her notecards, attempting to look all casual and stuff, like she's just sifting through a bunch of cards, and .... partially succeeding, "That I remain as devout a TimeWaiter as ever, and I thoroughly believe I have upheld my role and," dramatic pause, "I Wait For It.”

Fear not! You will catch up with Time in time, and all will be well.

Just wait a little bit faster and you'll be here in almost no Time at all...

I for one, will certainly hold no grudge with your Cardinal slackerness!*

*Provided you apply your Cardinal approval to my proposed Knight Temporal name**
**see signature below.

We can tell you've been very ill, Buffygirl, because you haven't even changed your hat!
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

WeWanttheFunk

Postby WeWanttheFunk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:56 pm UTC

If The Great Randall did, indeed, foresee the formation of the Timewatcher religion as a result of this slow movie, I'd guess that this particular Far Side comic was in the back of his mind... or maybe the fore of his mind?

WeWanttheFunk

Postby WeWanttheFunk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

And, now. The requisite 5 post count having been achieved.... without further ado:

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

I do hereby bundle my several quote-posts into one long post with spoilers. I tried to do one big spoiler from after this sentence to the end (which would have resulted in nested spoilers), but couldn't get it to work right ... :(

Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
OK, since no-one contradicted my earlier vow within the mandated 6 newpix, my self-knighthood stands!

Verily, I am now a Knight Temporal! I shall be tireless1 in the performance of my duties2.

1 Or at least until I get a bit bored or need to coma.
2 Of which there are none -- the perfect job!

True, I many not be entirely valorous or chivalrous, but I think I'll be good enough to carry out the job.

However, I do think I need a more Knightly name than "Sir StratPlayer". Something more regal and fierce-sounding...

So I shall adopt "Vincent" (from the Latin "vincere", to conquer), and thusly henceforth be known as:

"Knight Temporal Sir Vincent, Lord Of Nominal Goodness, Defender Of NewPix Glory*"

*aka Sir Vinnie LONGDONG

You may be able to declare yourself a knight, but you need a bishop or Cardinal to give you your new, knightly name. It's like a NASA nickname. you con't get to choose it for yourself.(and this is within 6 timeframes of when you declared it.)

I, Timewaiter Arch-Cardinal Buffygirl, She who Rises From The Flames Like A Phoenix To Continue With Her Pursuit of Hat Perfection, do hereby name you Sir Vinnie LONGDONG, Knight Temporal, Lord of Nominal Goodness, Defender of... Oh wait! You're not a TimeWaiter! Pffft.

HAL9000 wrote:
edo wrote:The if the knights are of the Eastern church, they will be welcomed by the Western Paradox Church, (who will no doubt shun them.)

The two churches are Eastern Unorthodox and Western Paradox, correct?
Also, Eastern Unorthodox is the one that counts buffygirl and Helper among their members, yes?

NO NO NO! That is incorrect! We are the Timewaiters, the only TRUE church!

udscbt wrote:
Spoiler:
descor wrote:
udscbt wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Hi, all. Long-time lurker, first-time poster. (Well, ok, I posted in Externalities, but first time in THIS thread.) I don't wish to sound too demanding, but according to the wiki, I believe this makes me eligible for cardinalship: "Any long time forum lurker who registered in solely to post in the One True Comic are eligible for Cardinal-ship." I will await delivery of the funny hat and staff. Or do cardinals have a staff? maybe that's just bishops.

Oh wait, maybe I did post earlier in this thread. Ok, I should get the cardinalship for THAT post.

Anyhooo... I heartily approve of all the earnest discussion about apostrophes. However, we could avoid the whole discussion by saying "the Watch of the Knight." No apostrophe needed. And then you have a great acronym, WOTK--ok, not so great an acronym, never mind.

I'm afraid that, since your first post was in the Externalities thread, you're not eligible for Cardinalship. You could, however, become a bishop, but as I said earlier I won't nominate new bishops today. I'm sorry, but I hope you will continue waiting with us Timewaiters.
PS: 's 's 's 's 's 's

So ... my first post after being a lurker for ages was in the Time thread back on page 251. Does that make me eligible?

Yes, you are!
I, udscbt, Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, with the power granted me by Time, nominate you, descor, Cardinal of the Timewaiters. You will need another Cardinal to ratify you. After that, you can ask Arch-Cardinal buffygirl to make you a hat.
And now, after adding the new nominated Cardinal to the Holy Scriptures, I will coma. The blessing of Time be upon y'all.

EDIT: before going I should note to descor: you used the heretic word "newpix" in your first post, don't do that ever again

waves her hand absently, "so ratified."

ChronosDragon wrote:Megan is washing her hands in the water. I hereby propose (despite not being a member of any of the major sects) that ritual hand-washing become a tradition.

seconded!

Exodies wrote:
edo wrote:
Exodies wrote:
Spoiler:
edo wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
SBN wrote:
Flado wrote:
edo wrote:I'm joining your religion - would you cannonize me a Revered Apostate?.

I'm afraid we abhor shooting people with cannons, especially those not wearing pointed helmets. We also have no cannons left.
So, welcome, and can find someone to revere you. And abhor.

Was the request to be shot with a cannon, or from a cannon?

Either way, helmet an kneepads.

I've got my helmet on. To bad we're out of cannons. Perhaps a Holy Trébuchet? (then I would be Trébuchetized, I guess)

I wouldn't let BuffyGirl know you've been designing hats. Take my advice friend, get a new avatar.

It's not a hat, it's a helmet.

It's not me you have to convince.

*ahem* Anything worn upon the head is under my jurisdion. I will allow you to keep your 'helmet,' as you call it. Because I am feeling generous and lazy.

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
nickulo wrote:Been checking in here periodically for almost 500 newpics. Had to chime in with:

1. You people are insane.
2. May I suggest "The Knights Who Say..........." (and then if someone asks "Say what?" You just say "Wait for it.")

Of course we're insane. There's no confusion about that.

Although this is not exclusive to Timewaiters. Outsiders suffer this too. I bring to your attention the mad hatter.

You mean ArchCardinal buffygirl? No, she's one of us Timewaiters, too.

No, no. she's the Madder Hatter.

Well, make fun of her hats and she'll definitely get madder!

That is a certainty.

Caswallon wrote:
Spoiler:

Beware the splinters!

Oh Ouch! That hurts!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

WeWanttheFunk wrote:And, now. The requisite 5 post count having been achieved.... without further ado:

[/thread]
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

WeWanttheFunk wrote:And, now. The requisite 5 post count having been achieved.... without further ado:

Spoiler:

That, sir, is an amazing find :)

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

And:

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

Comics do not belong in this thread, what are you doing?!
On second thought, perhaps we can make an exception in this case; it seems Mr. Larson was (wait for it) Ahead of his Time
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

Could it be this is a continuation of something the Far Side started 30 years ago, and the story baton has been passed to Randall to complete for the few faithful watchers who have waited this long for its final conclusion?

I deem this a knowledge quest worthy of the Temporal Knights.
Last edited by Caswallon on Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

treadman

Postby treadman » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

WeWanttheFunk wrote:The sporadic use of themes was common to the two comics; xkcd's "My hobby" bringing the same kind of re-occurring delight as The Far Side's "trouble brewing"...

Yes! The skydiving school next to the crocodile farm!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:waves her hand absently, "so ratified."

She returneth.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:Could it be this is a continuation of something the Far Side started 30 years ago, and the story baton has been passed to Randall to complete for the few faithful watchers who have waited this long for its final conclusion?

I deem this a knowledge quest worthy of the Temporal Knights.

That would really mess up the average newpix length.

Also, unrelated: I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Montov

Postby Montov » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:11 pm UTC

WeWanttheFunk wrote:If The Great Randall did, indeed, foresee the formation of the Timewatcher religion as a result of this slow movie, I'd guess that this particular Far Side comic was in the back of his mind... or maybe the fore of his mind?

But does Randall foresee that we will crucify his only son? We don't know yet where that son is (possibly adopted by a carpenter's family), but I bet one of his 12 Facebook friends will mess up his privacy settings. We just have to wait for it.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”