1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

StratPlayer

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:I do hereby bundle my several quote-posts into one long post with spoilers. I tried to do one big spoiler from after this sentence to the end (which would have resulted in nested spoilers), but couldn't get it to work right ... :(

Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
OK, since no-one contradicted my earlier vow within the mandated 6 newpix, my self-knighthood stands!

Verily, I am now a Knight Temporal! I shall be tireless1 in the performance of my duties2.

1 Or at least until I get a bit bored or need to coma.
2 Of which there are none -- the perfect job!

True, I many not be entirely valorous or chivalrous, but I think I'll be good enough to carry out the job.

However, I do think I need a more Knightly name than "Sir StratPlayer". Something more regal and fierce-sounding...

So I shall adopt "Vincent" (from the Latin "vincere", to conquer), and thusly henceforth be known as:

"Knight Temporal Sir Vincent, Lord Of Nominal Goodness, Defender Of NewPix Glory*"

*aka Sir Vinnie LONGDONG

You may be able to declare yourself a knight, but you need a bishop or Cardinal to give you your new, knightly name. It's like a NASA nickname. you con't get to choose it for yourself.(and this is within 6 timeframes of when you declared it.)

I, Timewaiter Arch-Cardinal Buffygirl, She who Rises From The Flames Like A Phoenix To Continue With Her Pursuit of Hat Perfection, do hereby name you Sir Vinnie LONGDONG, Knight Temporal, Lord of Nominal Goodness, Defender of... Oh wait! You're not a TimeWaiter! Pffft.

Thank you, your Holiness, I -- Wait! What?!?! I most certainly AM a Timewaiter! You yourself even rescued me from my heretical Menopause and returned me to the One True Faith!! MY use of "NewPix" was purely for acronymic justification and as an attempt to reach out to those who might be weak in their faith.

I shall attribute this momentary lapse in your otherwise perfect Cardinal judgement to a temporary state of the evil forces of the Outside weighing too heavily upon you, and shall accept your Knighthood as what you clearly meant to do.

So, *ahem* Thank you again, your Holiness. I remain in the service to you, the One True Faith, and the Holy Timeframes, shall continue to Wait for it.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

treadman wrote:
WeWanttheFunk wrote:The sporadic use of themes was common to the two comics; xkcd's "My hobby" bringing the same kind of re-occurring delight as The Far Side's "trouble brewing"...

Yes! The skydiving school next to the crocodile farm!

Or the daycare next to the dingo breeder...
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
buffygirl wrote:I do hereby bundle my several quote-posts into one long post with spoilers. I tried to do one big spoiler from after this sentence to the end (which would have resulted in nested spoilers), but couldn't get it to work right ... :(

Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
OK, since no-one contradicted my earlier vow within the mandated 6 newpix, my self-knighthood stands!

Verily, I am now a Knight Temporal! I shall be tireless1 in the performance of my duties2.

True, I many not be entirely valorous or chivalrous, but I think I'll be good enough to carry out the job.

However, I do think I need a more Knightly name than "Sir StratPlayer". Something more regal and fierce-sounding...

So I shall adopt "Vincent" (from the Latin "vincere", to conquer), and thusly henceforth be known as:

"Knight Temporal Sir Vincent, Lord Of Nominal Goodness, Defender Of NewPix Glory*"

*aka Sir Vinnie LONGDONG

You may be able to declare yourself a knight, but you need a bishop or Cardinal to give you your new, knightly name. It's like a NASA nickname. you con't get to choose it for yourself.(and this is within 6 timeframes of when you declared it.)

I, Timewaiter Arch-Cardinal Buffygirl, She who Rises From The Flames Like A Phoenix To Continue With Her Pursuit of Hat Perfection, do hereby name you Sir Vinnie LONGDONG, Knight Temporal, Lord of Nominal Goodness, Defender of... Oh wait! You're not a TimeWaiter! Pffft.

Thank you, your Holiness, I -- Wait! What?!?! I most certainly AM a Timewaiter! You yourself even rescued me from my heretical Menopause and returned me to the One True Faith!! MY use of "NewPix" was purely for acronymic justification and as an attempt to reach out to those who might be weak in their faith.

I shall attribute this momentary lapse in your otherwise perfect Cardinal judgement to a temporary state of the evil forces of the Outside weighing too heavily upon you, and shall accept your Knighthood as what you clearly meant to do.

So, *ahem* Thank you again, your Holiness. I remain in the service to you, the One True Faith, and the Holy Timeframes, shall continue to Wait for it.

I think she's saying you have to change your name to Vinnie LONGDOTfG...

it's what you get for trying to apply a backronym.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:

Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:

*aka Sir Vinnie LONGDONG

Those indoctrinated into the Eastern Unorthodox Church (cardinals, bishops, etc.) can't join the order anyways.
But as an established Knight Temporal, I dub thee Sir Vincent, Lord Of Nominal Goodness, Defender Of NewPix Glory.
Rise, and join our ranks!
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

dstaum

Postby dstaum » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:23 pm UTC

Could it be an animated png file? (look up APNG on wikipedia)

I'm going to have to shut it down in 2 hours, it's my work laptop. Guess I'll never see the end...

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

It just occured to me that we need a good church of the north...
We have the wicked churches of the east and west, the good church of the south, but north is empty.
“have i gone mad?

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:

*aka Sir Vinnie LONGDONG

Those indoctrinated into the Eastern Unorthodox Church (cardinals, bishops, etc.) can't join the order anyways.
But as an established Knight Temporal, I dub thee Sir Vincent, Lord Of Nominal Goodness, Defender Of NewPix Glory.

Thank you, good Knight Hal! I am honored to be fully beKnighted. And as now a Temporal Knight, I return the dub, and christen thee Sir HAL (unless you want a different Knightly name).

Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:It just occured to me that we need a good church of the north...
We have the wicked churches of the east and west, the good church of the south, but north is empty.

We, the Knights Temporal, do claim the North as our own! Now, for Time everlasting, the North shall be known as the land of the eternal Knights.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:

*aka Sir Vinnie LONGDONG

Hmmm ...... I find LONGDOTfG displeasing to my ear. An yes, Vinnie, I do recall your Menopause and your prompt return to the Faith. But I do not know if I can permit any Timewaiter to have as part of their title the n-word. I must ponder.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:34 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:

*aka Sir Vinnie LONGDONG

Hmmm ...... I find LONGDOTfG displeasing to my ear. An yes, Vinnie, I do recall your Menopause and your prompt return to the Faith. But I do not know if I can permit any Timewaiter to have as part of their title the n-word. I must ponder.

Ponder as you will, my Lady, but we of the Temporal Knights have decreed that while we serve the One True Faith, we don't NEED the indoctrinated clergy of the One True Faith, and have thusly become a self-ratifying organization.

However, we remain loyal to Time, and shall continue to Wait for It, and are forever in your service*.

*Provided you don't ask us to do anything for you.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:37 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:

*aka Sir Vinnie LONGDONG

Ponder as you will, my Lady, but we of the Temporal Knights have decreed that while we serve the One True Faith, we don't NEED the indoctrinated clergy of the One True Faith, and have thusly become a self-ratifying organization.

However, we remain loyal to Time, and shall continue to Wait for It, and are forever in your service*.

That didn't take long. From loyal paladins to heretic church in 2 or 3 pages. I can only imagine how long it will be until all the churches band together to eliminate you. or just declare you heretical.
“have i gone mad?

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Hmmm ...... I find LONGDOTfG displeasing to my ear. An yes, Vinnie, I do recall your Menopause and your prompt return to the Faith. But I do not know if I can permit any Timewaiter to have as part of their title the n-word. I must ponder.

But .... But ... I'm the ARCH-CARDINAL! *pouty face*

Foarm

Postby Foarm » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:46 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
FayZee wrote:
Foarm wrote:Hmmm...
I did a quick read up of BlitzGirl's posts and the ones in which she is mentioned. She has quite some messages from the past to read.
If she keeps the same average pace of ~15 newpages a day, she'll be here in 5 days (16 april).

@BlitzGirl: Good luck with continuing your pilgrimage!

Have you heard of the Mabinogian? Pwyll, Prince of Dyfed sends his best horsemen after Rhiannon. She rides a magical horse, who can outrun any other horse, and although Pwyll's men are galloping and Rhiannon only travelling slowly, they never catch up. Except this is BlitzGirl galloping after us lot, who are only slowly advancing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwyll_Pendefig_Dyfed

See also Zeno's Paradoxes*

*provided you can get past the half-way point...

I know those paradoxes could be a problem, but what I really meant was that BlitzGirl will be at the location of my post in 5 days.

@BlitzGirl: Good luck with the aforementioned paradoxes. I hope you can beat them, so you shall be known as BlitzGirl Temporal Knight and beater of paradoxes.

EDIT: Of course "Temporal Knight" should be "Knight Temporal", but back in time when I wrote this post my knowledge of your precise title wasn't known to me.
Last edited by Foarm on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:30 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
squonk wrote:Looks like you grossly underestimated the passing of time.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Hmmm ...... I find LONGDOTfG displeasing to my ear. An yes, Vinnie, I do recall your Menopause and your prompt return to the Faith. But I do not know if I can permit any Timewaiter to have as part of their title the n-word. I must ponder.

But .... But ... I'm the ARCH-CARDINAL! *pouty face*

And a wonderful one you are, my Lady. And you are welcome among the Knights Temporal in the North anytime you might choose to visit*.

Now, then, M'Lady... *dabs his hanky along her teary cheeks* Let this not upset you. Why not pick out a nice, new hat? That should cheer you up!

*Provided you call first... we might be in the midst of Knightly Deeds and not able to see you just, like, whenever you want... Yeah. Call first. Like weeks in advance...

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

What's he carrying?
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Your Eternal Servant And Companion Through Time,
Dame Not-Bob
Temporal Defender Of The One True Comic

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:

*aka Sir Vinnie LONGDONG

That didn't take long. From loyal paladins to heretic church in 2 or 3 pages. I can only imagine how long it will be until all the churches band together to eliminate you. or just declare you heretical.

Alright, who redefined "heretic" to mean "The One True Faith"? Sounds like something those crazy Western Paradox Non-Cardinals would do...
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:What's he carrying?

The ropes.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

What's with the motion lines around the ladder? THere hasn't been much of that sort of thing before. The only one I can think of is when Cueball was reaching for the ladder, and that was to show the difficulty. Is she having problems with the ladder? Is it going to spin out of control and wreck the whole thing? I'd believe it of Cueball, but not Megan. Yes, she had that one minor accident earlier, but she seems much too competent to have two so close together.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

We have Knights Temporal now? Sweet!

If I mention that I had created a DCUO hero a year ago named Temporal Templar, can that in anyway persuade anyone to knight me?
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Dame Not-Bob

Davidy

Construction incosistancies

Postby Davidy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

Building the platform proceeded as follows:

421-422.....1st vertical pole dragged in by Megan
425...........2nd vertical pole dragged in by Megan
428...........3rd vertical pole dragged in by Megan
434-435......Long top board dragged in by Megan
442...........Short top board(s?) draged in by Megan
450-451......1st pole raised by Megan
452-454......2nd pole raised by Megan
456...........3rd pole raised by Megan
459-460......4th pole raised by Megan
464-466......Left top board raised by both
470...........Ladder dragged in by Megan
473-478......Top left board placed and secured by Megan
506-516......Right top board raised and positioned by Megan

What's wrong with this picture?

1) Although there are 4 vertical poles, only 3 have been show to have been brought in.
2) By the way the vertical poles are moved and maneuvered, they appear to be either square or round in cross-section; at least Megan is able to shinny down in 452-453. The top boards are shown to have width, about 6x the width of the poles. There has been no indication of any bracing added which would permit a flat board to be placed on top of a pole and still support a load of people walking on top without tipping sideways.
3) Megan has been doing all of the heavy moving, lifting and placing of the structure's pieces.
4) Megan only brought one short top board, unless she had both short top boards in 442. This isn't clear.

So:

1) Where did the 4th pole come from? Was it always there?
2) How are the top boards fastened to the poles so that they support moving people?
3) Why is Cueball such a slacker, leaving Megan to do all the hard work? All he did was to help with the center top board, and screw up by hiding access to the ladder in the process. Jerk.
4) In 477-479 Megan seems to be doing something to fasten the left top board to the poles, but this action has not been repeated for the other top boards. Why?
Last edited by Davidy on Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

Wait, is that a pressure cooker full of fluorine?

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

The rope, which had been piled up on the right top board.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

Davidy wrote:

The rope, which had been piled up on the right top board.

For some reason I thought it was a skateboard, and they were building a ramp or halfpipe or something.
Dear Blitzgirl,

Dame Not-Bob

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:We have Knights Temporal now? Sweet!

If I mention that I had created a DCUO hero a year ago named Temporal Templar, can that in anyway persuade anyone to knight me?

Well, it's easier than that. Being a Temporal Knight (which you are, in the future), all you need to do is travel to the current "now" and knight yourself.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:

*aka Sir Vinnie LONGDONG

Alright, who redefined "heretic" to mean "The One True Faith"? Sounds like something those crazy Western Paradox Non-Cardinals would do...

apparently, you did. The knights have denied allegience to any church. Traditionally, this has been seen as either a sign of heresy, or apostasy. I'm not making any judgements.
“have i gone mad?

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:Ack. I've been sick for two days and missed everything in that time. Thank goodness for Aubronwood.

True dat. As one who is called to the Outside for many newpix at a time, I would be lost without aubronwood. (I read somewhere that "newpix" is heretical, but I must have missed that part of the thread, and so shall ignore it.)

Here are my ponderings on the comic, in all their wisdom (that is, none): In the one frame, and I don't know where to find the frame numbers, and I'm too lazy to try and find out, we clearly see Cueball trying to reach the ladder, and failing. His outstretched stick hand just falls short. I do find it a valid question why they can't lower the crossplanck again to get the ladder. They don't seem to have fastened the top board very securely, unless in some unseen frame they pulled out a hammer or drill and put some fasteners in it. At any rate, the fact that Megan is now moving the ladder seems to verify this theory (that is, the theory that they couldn't reach the ladder.)

sshaikh wrote:Maybe what happens in the comic is feeding off what is being said in this thread?

Personally, I think that's where the comments about what the river and the sea come from. I think it's a response to all the speculation on the thread about whether the water has risen so many pixels, or whether it's going out or coming in.

I think the motion lines are just to indicate that the ladder is awkward and top-heavy. And why IS Cueball such a slacker? He's the one who left the ladder underneath the board, HE should have climbed down to get it.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:We have Knights Temporal now? Sweet!

Well, it's easier than that. Being a Temporal Knight (which you are, in the future), all you need to do is travel to the current "now" and knight yourself.

My future Temporal Knight-self told me you were going to say that.
Dear Blitzgirl,

Dame Not-Bob

Patrik3

Postby Patrik3 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

Hi, sorry if this has already been requested already, but, is there a place where one can view all the frames of this comic side-by-side? Could anyone perhaps edit the first post of this topic and either post all the frames of the comic or add in a link to where I could find all of them together?
Cheers :P

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:it's been a while since we had a

WIKI BUMP

Bump

histrion

Postby histrion » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

Millah

Postby Millah » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

Patrik3 wrote:Hi, sorry if this has already been requested already, but, is there a place where one can view all the frames of this comic side-by-side? Could anyone perhaps edit the first post of this topic and either post all the frames of the comic or add in a link to where I could find all of them together?
Cheers :P

http://xkcd.aubronwood.com

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

I've lost track of whom to beseech/implore/bribe, but could whomsoever hath the power to deem it so please deem me Knighty Knight?
Then I may coma at will.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Publius10

Postby Publius10 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

The fuck is going on in this thread?
I mean, I've been following the comic as avidly as anyone, but man has this gone places.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:I've lost track of whom to beseech/implore/bribe, but could whomsoever hath the power to deem it so please deem me Knighty Knight?
Then I may coma at will.

Well, I'm not part of the knighthood, nor do I have an official place in the hierarchy of any of the 3 churches, but I am the Grand Lord High Inquisitor, so if that's good enough(and anyone who says it isn't is being introduced to Hotsauce treated chocolate chip cookies) then I'll do it.

By the power taken by me as part of a scheme to take power and issue ridiculous punishments, I pronounce you Sir fhorn, Knighty knight, Defender of the Comaing.
Last edited by Dracomax on Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
“have i gone mad?

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

While we're at it, I'd like to take the Time now to welcome to our ranks the illustrious Sir Not-Appearing-in-this-Thread. Good to have you (not) with us.

Caswallon

Re: Construction incosistancies

Postby Caswallon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:43 pm UTC

Davidy wrote:Building the platform proceeded as follows:

1) Although there are 4 vertical poles, only 3 have been show to have been brought in.
2) By the way the vertical poles are moved and maneuvered, they appear to be either square or round in cross-section; at least Megan is able to shinny down in 452-453. The top boards are shown to have width, about 6x the width of the poles. There has been no indication of any bracing added which would permit a flat board to be placed on top of a pole and still support a load of people walking on top without tipping sideways.
3) Megan has been doing all of the heavy moving, lifting and placing of the structure's pieces.
4) Megan only brought one short top board, unless she had both short top boards in 442. This isn't clear.

So:

2) How are the top boards fastened to the poles so that they support moving people?
3) Why is Cueball such a slacker, leaving Megan to do all the hard work? All he did was to help with the center top board, and screw up by hiding access to the ladder in the process. Jerk.
4) In 477-479 Megan seems to be doing something to fasten the left top board to the poles, but this action has not been repeated for the other top boards. Why?

Actually, the worst part I personally find, is that only a minor amount of digging is shown when raising the poles. At best she may have gone 2 feet deep. And did not even bother to use the ropes to brace the poles laterally. With the ground being loose sand (soon to be even looser with the addition of water) those platforms would be an incredibly unsteady surface and would easily collapse with the weight of Megan & Cueball. Especially when they leaned against them with the ladder, and pulled at them when raising the platforms.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:45 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
Davidy wrote:Building the platform proceeded as follows:

So:

Actually, the worst part I personally find, is that only a minor amount of digging is shown when raising the poles. At best she may have gone 2 feet deep. And did not even bother to use the ropes to brace the poles laterally. With the ground being loose sand (soon to be even looser with the addition of water) those platforms would be an incredibly unsteady surface and would easily collapse with the weight of Megan & Cueball. Especially when they leaned against them with the ladder, and pulled at them when raising the platforms.

To be fair, the ground could still be made up of non sand substance.
“have i gone mad?

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
Davidy wrote: Some Stuff
Some More Stuff

To be fair, the ground could still be made up of non sand substance.

Even if it is a non-sand substance, it seems to behave the same as sand based on the building of the sandcastle and the lack of use of tools when digging etc...

Unless they happen to be playing in a giant pile of extremely fast setting concrete, which seems awfully dangerous next to the water.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

histrion

Postby histrion » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

Megan did pour something in the holes, though - I assume it was some sort of concrete. The bucket's still sitting at the top of the left platform.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”