1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Caswallon

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Caswallon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

histrion wrote:Megan did pour something in the holes, though - I assume it was some sort of concrete. The bucket's still sitting at the top of the left platform.

I don't believe so, because the (bucket/box/lunch/time machine) never moves while the poles are being raised. There are clear indications of her digging by hand however.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
fhorn wrote:I've lost track of whom to beseech/implore/bribe, but could whomsoever hath the power to deem it so please deem me Knighty Knight?
Then I may coma at will.

Well, I'm not part of the knighthood, nor do I have an official place in the hierarchy of any of the 3 churches, but I am the Grand Lord High Inquisitor, so if that's good enough(and anyone who says it isn't is being introduced to Hotsauce treated chocolate chip cookies) then I'll do it.

By the power taken by me as part of a scheme to take power and issue ridiculous punishments, I pronounce you Sir fhorn, Knighty knight, Defender of the Comaing.

Many thanks, oh GLHI Dracomax! I would have thanked you sooner but I was checking my eyelids for holes. Part of my knightly Knighty Knight duties.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

veryslightlygeeky

Postby veryslightlygeeky » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

Has anyone else noticed that we have passed half a million views on this thread?

Gosh and gollygosh! Who'd a thought it? Here is to the next 500k

----
'tempus rerum imperator'

[ 500000, 5e5 500,000 5x105 just for ease of searching ]

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

veryslightlygeeky wrote:Has anyone else noticed that we have passed half a million views on this thread?

Gosh and gollygosh! Who'd a thought it? Here is to the next 500k

----
'tempus rerum imperator'

[ 500000, 5e5 500,000 5x105 just for ease of searching ]

I beleive within a couple of months, we can have the longest thread in the forum, and we have yet to degenerate into flamewar. however, we are so very far off topic that we are on topic again...
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

veryslightlygeeky

Postby veryslightlygeeky » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

[ Hmm. That last one posted OK. Several of my attempts have not worked. Humble apologies if you felt ignored by me.]

-------------
'tempus rerum inperator'

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

Keeping up with Time has been difficult, though the slower pace of discussion has helped me maintain my faith in the One True Comic. How can I apply for a post in the Knighthood? Though as a woman, I suppose I would be Dame rather than Knight.
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

cari.j.elliot wrote:Keeping up with Time has been difficult, though the slower pace of discussion has helped me maintain my faith in the One True Comic. How can I apply for a post in the Knighthood? Though as a woman, I suppose I would be Dame rather than Knight.

No, the Knighthood, as per it's inclusion in Time, is gender neutral.

You'd still be a knight, and entitled to the use of "Sir" or "Dame" as it suits you.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
fhorn wrote:I've lost track of whom to beseech/implore/bribe, but could whomsoever hath the power to deem it so please deem me Knighty Knight?
Then I may coma at will.

Well, I'm not part of the knighthood, nor do I have an official place in the hierarchy of any of the 3 churches...

Ahem. As High Holy Heretic of the Western Paradox Church (and self-proclaimed Knight Temporal, so there too), I must chime in at this point. I assume you're not counting us. Which is as it should be.

In fact, I defy you to try. The WPC is the near-exact equivalent of that standing stone from one or other Terry Pratchett novel. Despite the fact that there was believed to be only one of it, no-one had ever been able to count it (it always seemed to hide behind another one, or something like that).
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

Hmmm... It appears to be just an ordinary bucket. He put the rope(s) into it.

Bummer. I was hoping for more.

veryslightlygeeky

Postby veryslightlygeeky » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

[imath][/imath]That new bit looks straight. I hope it will become diagonal bracing. The HSE (UK) and OHSA (USA) would be having kittens at all this.

Just as well that pixels are pretty rugged.

And all this goes to show just what can happen when creative people go to relax on the beach. :)

-------------
'tempus rerum inperator'

Davidy

Scintillating Conversationalists - NOT!

Postby Davidy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

C: Later
M: Bye
----------
M: Wanna Swim?
C: Yeah
M: Pffthh *Cough*
C: You OK?
M: Just Got Some In My Mouth(*)
----------
C: I Don't Think We Can Build It Much Taller Than This. It's Been Fun, Though.
----------
C: Pthuh, Yuck. I've Had Worse(*)
----------
C: Guess One Of Us Should Climb Down
M: Yeah
----------
M: The Sea Is Rising
C: Yeah

This pair's names must be Cueball Boring and Megan Bland.

(*) Insert "That's what she said" joke here.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

histrion wrote:Megan did pour something in the holes, though - I assume it was some sort of concrete. The bucket's still sitting at the top of the left platform.

I'm guessing you've never set a structural post. For this type of post in loose soil or sand the post should have somewhere between 1-1.5 feet below ground for every three feet above. Assuming Megan is ~5 ft tall, these posts should be set 4-6 ft deep. This could be reduced if the structure was designed to be free standing (i.e. the weight only "rests" on the ground and doesn't need any lateral support), but that does not appear to be the case. Additionally, she'd need a lot more concrete than she reasonably could have brought in without a cart or forklift if she dug the holes by hand (conical hole instead of the clean vertical walls that are achievable with an auger).

/over-analyzing stick figure architecture. :D
Last edited by slinches on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

histrion

Postby histrion » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:

I don't believe so, because the (bucket/box/lunch/time machine) never moves while the poles are being raised. There are clear indications of her digging by hand however.

I think you're right. I think I misread her action in frame 475.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
cari.j.elliot wrote:Keeping up with Time has been difficult, though the slower pace of discussion has helped me maintain my faith in the One True Comic. How can I apply for a post in the Knighthood? Though as a woman, I suppose I would be Dame rather than Knight.

No, the Knighthood, as per it's inclusion in Time, is gender neutral.

You'd still be a knight, and entitled to the use of "Sir" or "Dame" as it suits you.

Fair, what quest do you set me to prove my worth?
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

slinches wrote:

I'm guessing you've never set a structural post. For this type of post in loose soil or sand the post should have somewhere between 1-1.5 feet below ground for every three feet above. Assuming Megan is ~5 ft tall, these posts should be set 4-6 ft deep. This could be reduced if the structure was designed to be free standing (i.e. the weight only "rests" on the ground and doesn't need any lateral support), but that does not appear to be the case. Additionally, she'd need a lot more concrete than she reasonably could have brought in without a cart or forklift if she dug the holes by hand (conical hole instead of the clean vertical walls that are achievable with an auger).

/over-analyzing stick figure architecture. :D

Exactly. Maybe in 2D stick-figure architecture, building codes are much looser.

I'm hoping this will be the first post on the 300th page...

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

zenix

Postby zenix » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

I beleive within a couple of months, we can have the longest thread in the forum, and we have yet to degenerate into flamewar. however, we are so very far off topic that we are on topic again...
I just checked and the "count to 1 million" thread over in the games section is already at 54,262. So, here's to the next 40,000 posts :P
"Dude, don't taunt the god-killing abomination" - OOTS #275

National Student Boardgaming Champion - UK, 2014

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Latent22 wrote: The original image at the top with some fixed instructions
A section below to post new rendered pages

Just to make sure the faithful see what you have proposed... You want to change the One True Comic?!

Yeah my original idea I had was to annotate the original Comic. This may be a bit too heretical for some. The level of editing or the restriction on all edition would need to be up for debate. An option is to just leave the original comic intact and just make each page of the new bible filled up with the original comic on the top and then text/quotes/stories/sayings that are derived or linked to the above newpix. Their could be some story/saying/words of wisdom/cautionary tale that is longer and spans more than one page.

One option would be to have a rule that the only change to the original can be reference numbers in brackets [1] that must be colored blue to not be confused with the holy black and the white that only our lord Randall may use. Then the elements cited in the comic can have their true meaning explained in the text section below.

Another option is to divide the bottom half into sections on a page by page basis. We might have the first section being the continuation of a story from the last few pages which is long with a section below it with forum comment quotes from this fora. And maybe a section near the bottom with a one line interpretation of what Megan/Cueball might have said in the above frame. Which sections are included in each page would vary as needed.

I've seen many posts in here that if quoted into the a bible page could probably carry a whole page. So the initial Bible version could start out as just quotations from here which allows it to be quickly started. Most pages would start out blank and get filled in over time. If several people just took 10-20 newpix each they could very quickly bang out a quick initial draft of the bible in no time.

You could even divide up sections of pages to different members so that that members flavor or style will show though for those pages. for example newpix 101-125 could be labeled SBN I to SBN XXV and the content and layout decided mainly by one person and represent that persons interpretation of the one true comic.

Another option is to add as well as text to the bottom half some comics and drawings inspired by the comic but these may be in the section below with the original comic still in place.

Anyway just ideas up for discussion really.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: Construction incosistancies

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
Davidy wrote: Some Stuff
Some More Stuff

To be fair, the ground could still be made up of non sand substance.

Even if it is a non-sand substance, it seems to behave the same as sand based on the building of the sandcastle and the lack of use of tools when digging etc...

Unless they happen to be playing in a giant pile of extremely fast setting concrete, which seems awfully dangerous next to the water.

This is sort of the opposite of one of my favorite Stephen Wright bits: "When I was little, we had a quicksand box. I was an only child...eventually."

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

300!

Edit: damn. Miscalculated. Maybe a ninja post will bump me?

arjan

Postby arjan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

The structure still reminds me of this one:

where Queball looked at us, just before destroying the two walls.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

Lord Cathbad wrote:300!

Don't worry. It happens to a lot of guys*.

*For the sake of this joke, gender has been disregarded.

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:

Guessed correctly.

Er... About gender, not that it happens a lot. Premature posting, that is.

Eshru

Postby Eshru » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Whizbang wrote:

Guessed correctly.

Er... About gender, not that it happens a lot. Premature posting, that is.

This... This is MADNESS!

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
dwilhelmi wrote:
Ebonite wrote:Any speculation as to why they would build a platform and then just sit there, waiting for the water to rise?

What if the water continually rises and falls, and the platform is simply a place for them to wait for the rising to wipe out their creation so that they can start over? What if this:
Cueball wrote:I don't think we can build it much taller than this

was not a statement of lack of ability, but rather a restriction based off of how high they already know the water will rise? What if they have already built the castle before, and the platform, and the beginning of Time was merely our insertion into their loop of buildcastle-buildplatform-waitforwater-teardownplatform-repeat?

Ah. the circular time theory. unless it comes true, it's heresy. bring out...the Comfy chair!

unless they have a mad dog board...

Are you saying the Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer is a heretic?

Helper wrote:
Qalyar wrote:
Helper wrote:Except, with this type of desturction, I don't see how the beach woll be level, if it be supposed to loop...

I, for one, be not a loopist.

Sinner! ur goin to sand hell!

htom

Postby htom » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Then I may coma at will.

Well, I'm not part of the knighthood, nor do I have an official place in the hierarchy of any of the 3 churches, but I am the Grand Lord High Inquisitor, so if that's good enough(and anyone who says it isn't is being introduced to Hotsauce treated chocolate chip cookies) then I'll do it.

By the power taken by me as part of a scheme to take power and issue ridiculous punishments, I pronounce you Sir fhorn, Knighty knight, Defender of the Comaing.

Now those sound scrumptious, recipe, please. Oh! "it isn't"!
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Jafloi

Postby Jafloi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:
SBN wrote:
Latent22 wrote: The original image at the top with some fixed instructions
A section below to post new rendered pages

Just to make sure the faithful see what you have proposed... You want to change the One True Comic?!

Yeah my original idea I had was to annotate the original Comic. This may be a bit too heretical for some. The level of editing or the restriction on all edition would need to be up for debate. An option is to just leave the original comic intact and just make each page of the new bible filled up with the original comic on the top and then text/quotes/stories/sayings that are derived or linked to the above newpix. Their could be some story/saying/words of wisdom/cautionary tale that is longer and spans more than one page.

One option would be to have a rule that the only change to the original can be reference numbers in brackets [1] that must be colored blue to not be confused with the holy black and the white that only our lord Randall may use. Then the elements cited in the comic can have their true meaning explained in the text section below.

Another option is to divide the bottom half into sections on a page by page basis. We might have the first section being the continuation of a story from the last few pages which is long with a section below it with forum comment quotes from this fora. And maybe a section near the bottom with a one line interpretation of what Megan/Cueball might have said in the above frame. Which sections are included in each page would vary as needed.

I've seen many posts in here that if quoted into the a bible page could probably carry a whole page. So the initial Bible version could start out as just quotations from here which allows it to be quickly started. Most pages would start out blank and get filled in over time. If several people just took 10-20 newpix each they could very quickly bang out a quick initial draft of the bible in no time.

You could even divide up sections of pages to different members so that that members flavor or style will show though for those pages. for example newpix 101-125 could be labeled SBN I to SBN XXV and the content and layout decided mainly by one person and represent that persons interpretation of the one true comic.

Another option is to add as well as text to the bottom half some comics and drawings inspired by the comic but these may be in the section below with the original comic still in place.

Anyway just ideas up for discussion really.

The rule of ''holy B&W'' seems like a good idea! also like the consept of dividing up sections of pages to different members so that that members flavor or style will show though for those pages.

Edit: Time to coma!
Last edited by Jafloi on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
buffygirl wrote:Jafloi, [...] I do hereby annoint you as Cardinal Jafloi of the Chicken Salad Sandwich, mayo optional.
...and Lightscribe (woodworker of time)

BlitzGirl: "wait fast, but wait well" *And good luck with the rest of your journey!!*You made it! Welcome!

lmjb1964

Re: Construction incosistancies

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:48 pm UTC

Davidy wrote:4) Megan only brought one short top board, unless she had both short top boards in 442. This isn't clear.

So:

1) Where did the 4th pole come from? Was it always there?

Here's a theory: after C says they can't build any higher and walks off, M seems to be looking back and forth in frames 415-417. Maybe there was a piece of wood already on the beach, and that's what gave her the idea to build the scaffold. Just a thought.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

histrion

Postby histrion » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

nickulo

Postby nickulo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

Time to build Skyloft.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

Has anyone already suggested they're building an ark?
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Your Eternal Servant And Companion Through Time,
Dame Not-Bob
Temporal Defender Of The One True Comic

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

What did she do with the ladder? She picked it up... and set it back down without any visible change in position.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:Has anyone already suggested they're building an ark?

Or a huge trebuchet? Maybe there's an even bigger sand castle off frame to the left.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Please do not make me a member of the Western Paradox Church. I have just had a visit from the future and I told me I never became one.

Gotcha!
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

elementropy

Postby elementropy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

Bump:

(edit...I miscalculated too...missed it by...that much...)
Last edited by elementropy on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:17 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
- quoth Elementropy, Time Bandit, TimeWaiter Liturgist, Oxford Comma, and
A Greek Omelette with Fries and Tomato Juice, Hold-the-toast-please in the Order of Breakfast

Tempus fugit quasi sagita; muscas fructibus arieram volunt...

BlitzGirl: welcome to the future!

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:Has anyone already suggested they're building an ark?

Or a huge trebuchet? Maybe there's an even bigger sand castle off frame to the left.

Or across the river/ocean/semen?

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

elementropy wrote:Bump:

You're welcome!

Don't worry, I managed on my own :D

elementropy

Postby elementropy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

Lord Cathbad wrote:

You're welcome!

(see edit on last post of p.299)
- quoth Elementropy, Time Bandit, TimeWaiter Liturgist, Oxford Comma, and
A Greek Omelette with Fries and Tomato Juice, Hold-the-toast-please in the Order of Breakfast

Tempus fugit quasi sagita; muscas fructibus arieram volunt...

BlitzGirl: welcome to the future!

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

Time for another catchup-wall. I'm also updating the quotes page of the wiki again.

BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 219 out of 295 pages.
The Architect Age. NP 331.

Another missive from the future! Embedded in a signature this time:
htom wrote:Blitzgirl -- Your communication received with great joy and rejoicing.

As was yours! I look forward to one day meeting those of you fortunate enough to tread this thread in the present Time.

I speak to you now from another dark era, pre-Recursion, where Cueball labors alone on the Sandcastle. The posts chatter endlessly of strange bestiality, involving an uncle named Jack beating off a horse (or somesuch). The Madness has ended, but the madness that pervades this thread persists, as it has for all Time. It is a constant in my travels, and I have come to find it comforting.

As one of those in the thread at the present Time, my past self welcomes you. May the rest of your journey be swift and filled with madness, and may Zeno not catch you.

Dracomax wrote:
histrion wrote:
Kethryes wrote:I must admit I tried to go on a similar quest as yours but I was weak and gave in to temptation and made Time jumps on several ocasions. Fortunately the Holy Wiki helped me in those dark Times to keep my (in)sanity, and follow what I could not witness by myself.

Perhaps we need something like what they have in Second Life - a virtual Haaj to help the devout prepare for the real thing.

No, only the most powerful among us should be asked to do such a thing. I beleive Blitzgirl to be the last of her kind.

I've heard she is known among some people as the "Incoming Hurricane" and among the elves, she is called "Blitzrandir."

It is said she once wrestled a grue to submission.

Truly, noone should be held to the standard she set. we should try to emulate it, as we should any saint, but I doubt anyone could live up to her feat.

I've still faithfully read every post. Although I can't claim to catch up from 200+ pages back... (100 back was the worst position I've been in) And I also can't claim to have wrestled a grue (the story's true, I heard it from the grue's ex-gf's friend's aunt's cat, via a source of unquestionable honesty. Although I wonder about the drunken translator I found in that back alley who helped with the whole communication...)

Whizbang wrote:I wonder if anyone has trolled BlitzGirl by editing a post AFTER she has already read it.

I think, for the sake of science, that she needs to do a covert re-read sometime in the future.

*thump*
Anyone who has such audacity should be flung into the Outside, as prey for the Hat.

Dracomax wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
Kethryes wrote:
Whizbang wrote:I wonder if anyone has trolled BlitzGirl by editing a post AFTER she has already read it.

That would be a great Sin that only a heretic could suggest!
Prepare the stake!

Orbital stake drop?

Just drop the whole cow.
edit: on second thought, let's throw them in the comfy chair, and dunk him in chocolate.

then let the semencancerbabies loose.

Or this. Bring out the comfy chair! Stat!

dwilhelmi wrote:
Qalyar wrote:
dwilhelmi wrote:
Ebonite wrote:Any speculation as to why they would build a platform and then just sit there, waiting for the water to rise?

What if the water continually rises and falls, and the platform is simply a place for them to wait for the rising to wipe out their creation so that they can start over? What if this:
Cueball wrote:I don't think we can build it much taller than this

was not a statement of lack of ability, but rather a restriction based off of how high they already know the water will rise? What if they have already built the castle before, and the platform, and the beginning of Time was merely our insertion into their loop of buildcastle-buildplatform-waitforwater-teardownplatform-repeat?

I remain stalwart in my antilooparianism. Although certain aspects of history are cyclical, there is no reason to expect the same is true of Time itself.

Also, more philosophically, for us to assume that Time will eventually repeat itself is to question the One True Command. Let us assume for the moment that Time is in fact cyclical. There are thus two possibilities for the number of loops. Either there is a single First Loop, followed by a presumably infinite number of repetitions, or else there is no First Loop and Time repeats in both directions without bound. In either case, there is no reason to believe that we are bearing witness to the First Loop; there is no such thing in the latter, and in the former, the mediocrity principle should deter us from believing that we are specially situated to see one specific loop out of an infinite number. Accordingly, Looped Time invalidates the need to "Wait for it." Even if we personally are not aware of the previous iteration of Looped Time, that knowledge would still be available, and the need to truly "Wait for it" would be correspondingly eliminated.

We know, however, that we must "Wait for it." For this to be true, either Time must not be cyclical, or we must be in the staggeringly exception position to be watching the unique first loop out of an infinite number of loops, a situation that Bayesian inference reveals as laughable implausible.

Time is thus a singular thing. We know that, at some point, it began. We know that it continues. Perhaps it will continue without end, and the One True Command merely serves to remind us to take inspiration from each passing newpix. Or perhaps, Time will End, and those of us who have stayed true to the Command will be lifted up to whatever awaits us beyond Time itself. We cannot know these things; we must wait for it. But knowing that there is not likely to be a simple loop, we can take solace that Time is worth the wait.

Unless "Wait for it" is merely what Cueball and Megan are doing, and have been doing, and will continue doing. Building the sandcastle, shooting the trebuchet, building the platform - maybe all of that is really just them Waiting for "it" - the sea.

Notice that when Cueball returns to the scene at 463, and Megan is building the platform, he immediately knows how to help her, with no instructions - almost like he had done it before...

Or Cueball and Megan are just that deep into a relationship that each instinctively knows what the other is thinking and doing.

Publius10 wrote:The fuck is going on in this thread?
I mean, I've been following the comic as avidly as anyone, but man has this gone places.

Time happened. Any other questions?

Dracomax wrote:
Then I may coma at will.

I like your style of punishments, and I don't like any of the religions. Can I join you as Secondary Lord High Inquisitor?

EDIT: 42 posts! WOO!
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

Lord Cathbad

Postby Lord Cathbad » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

elementropy wrote:
Lord Cathbad wrote:

You're welcome!

(see edit on last post of p.299)

Seen it. And don't worry, I read it happens to a lot of guys.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”