1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

airdrik

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby airdrik » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

Reviewing the One True Comic via tha book of auburn, with regard to the "box": in 524-525 Cueball appears to place the rope that was used to lift his end of the planck onto/into the box (with a little bit of it visible on top and hanging out the side), then in 544-545 he takes the rope that Megan was using and puts it in/on the box (with a little more of it visible on the box). As such it appears to be some kind of container (probably a bucket) and as of right now we can but assume that it holds the two ropes (and perhaps some other items used in securing the scaffolding and any yet-to-be-seen construction).

The line that Cueball and Megan were holding in 545 appears too rigid to be a rope (there would be a bit of curvature if it were), so it is probably a board which is then added to the scaffolding in 546. It appears that we are seeing the building of a new structure on top of the scaffolding that will proceed over the next several time frames.

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Latent22 wrote:The eventual 'Finished' Bible could maybe be special printed and one sent to Randall...

One page at a time.

That. Revenge will be ours!
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:29 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:Ack. I've been sick for two days and missed everything in that time. Thank goodness for Aubronwood.

True dat. As one who is called to the Outside for many newpix at a time, I would be lost without aubronwood. (I read somewhere that "newpix" is heretical, but I must have missed that part of the thread, and so shall ignore it.)

Here are my ponderings on the comic, in all their wisdom (that is, none): In the one frame, and I don't know where to find the frame numbers, and I'm too lazy to try and find out, we clearly see Cueball trying to reach the ladder, and failing. His outstretched stick hand just falls short. I do find it a valid question why they can't lower the crossplanck again to get the ladder. They don't seem to have fastened the top board very securely, unless in some unseen frame they pulled out a hammer or drill and put some fasteners in it. At any rate, the fact that Megan is now moving the ladder seems to verify this theory (that is, the theory that they couldn't reach the ladder.)

sshaikh wrote:Maybe what happens in the comic is feeding off what is being said in this thread?

Personally, I think that's where the comments about what the river and the sea come from. I think it's a response to all the speculation on the thread about whether the water has risen so many pixels, or whether it's going out or coming in.

I think the motion lines are just to indicate that the ladder is awkward and top-heavy. And why IS Cueball such a slacker? He's the one who left the ladder underneath the board, HE should have climbed down to get it.

If the Comic responds to the Thread, how come it's lacking in bishoprics, hover boards, raptors, hats, vile foamy liquids, etc?
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

norcimo

Postby norcimo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

Page 300 so I feel compelled to once again post. I have followed the one true comic and this Needle-pulled-thing for much...Time, and waited for it. I think I could be a cardinal but I'd much rather be a Knight Temporal. Could someone tap a sword on my shoulder and all that

Edit: s/thing/think/
Knight Temporal in search of a name. In Time we shall rise. Until then, I wait.

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

norcimo wrote:Page 300 so I feel compelled to once again post. I have followed the one true comic and this Needle-pulled-thing for much...Time, and waited for it. I think I could be a cardinal but I'd much rather be a Knight Temporal. Could someone tap a sword on my shoulder and all that

That was similar to my feeling. Alas, I am not a Knight, and so may not knight you in turn.
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:44 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote: ... If several people just took 10-20 newpix each they could very quickly bang out a quick initial draft of the bible in no time. ...

This is starting to remind me a lot of Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius. (If you haven't read any Borges, you are one of today's lucky 10,000)

And another thing: aren't knights meant to be appointed by monarchs? Should we have a gender-neutral monarch, perhaps a Keen or Quing?

Also, this.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Latent22 wrote: ... If several people just took 10-20 newpix each they could very quickly bang out a quick initial draft of the bible in no time. ...

This is starting to remind me a lot of Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius. (If you haven't read any Borges, you are one of today's lucky 10,000)

And another thing: aren't knights meant to be appointed by monarchs? Should we have a gender-neutral monarch, perhaps a Keen or Quing?

Also, this.

Don't be silly. "Meant to be?" You think your Outsider nonsense has any bearing on the followers of the One True Comic?
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:50 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:Ack. I've been sick for two days and missed everything in that time. Thank goodness for Aubronwood.

True dat. As one who is called to the Outside for many newpix at a time, I would be lost without aubronwood. (I read somewhere that "newpix" is heretical, but I must have missed that part of the thread, and so shall ignore it.)

Here are my ponderings on the comic, in all their wisdom (that is, none): In the one frame, and I don't know where to find the frame numbers, and I'm too lazy to try and find out, we clearly see Cueball trying to reach the ladder, and failing. His outstretched stick hand just falls short. I do find it a valid question why they can't lower the crossplanck again to get the ladder. They don't seem to have fastened the top board very securely, unless in some unseen frame they pulled out a hammer or drill and put some fasteners in it. At any rate, the fact that Megan is now moving the ladder seems to verify this theory (that is, the theory that they couldn't reach the ladder.)

sshaikh wrote:Maybe what happens in the comic is feeding off what is being said in this thread?

Personally, I think that's where the comments about what the river and the sea come from. I think it's a response to all the speculation on the thread about whether the water has risen so many pixels, or whether it's going out or coming in.

I think the motion lines are just to indicate that the ladder is awkward and top-heavy. And why IS Cueball such a slacker? He's the one who left the ladder underneath the board, HE should have climbed down to get it.

If the Comic responds to the Thread, how come it's lacking in bishoprics, hover boards, raptors, hats, vile foamy liquids, etc?

Ah, um, let's see--Cueball tasted the water and it was nasty, so, maybe it's a vile foamy liquid? Maybe Hat Guy will come and help them out? Um, uh, maybe they're building a wall to keep out the raptors on hoverboards?

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:52 pm UTC

cari.j.elliot wrote:
norcimo wrote:Page 300 so I feel compelled to once again post. I have followed the one true comic and this Needle-pulled-thing for much...Time, and waited for it. I think I could be a cardinal but I'd much rather be a Knight Temporal. Could someone tap a sword on my shoulder and all that

That was similar to my feeling. Alas, I am not a Knight, and so may not knight you in turn.

Alas, though I didst originate the title of Knight Temporal, I remain but a lowly Clerk, and cannot grant membership in this chivalrous order. So:

Can't somebody dame her already?
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

norcimo

Postby norcimo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:57 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
cari.j.elliot wrote:

Alas, though I didst originate the title of Knight Temporal, I remain but a lowly Clerk, and cannot grant membership in this chivalrous order. So:

No hurry, I can Wait

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:58 pm UTC

Are we going to have a vote on whether there will have been Knights Temporal?
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I think the motion lines are just to indicate that the ladder is awkward and top-heavy. And why IS Cueball such a slacker? He's the one who left the ladder underneath the board, HE should have climbed down to get it.

I'm being a little slow to respond, but I think those aren't motion lines, but grains of sand loose pixels*, tracked onto the ladder while they climbed up and down, being shaken loose by the ladder's motion.

*from crumbled-up old comics, as previously noted.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
cari.j.elliot wrote:

Sure, she can do it herself.
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
cari.j.elliot wrote:

Feels almost like cheating. My future self is still essentially myself. Can one knight oneself? And what about bestowing a Knightly title?
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

norcimo

Postby norcimo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
cari.j.elliot wrote:

Not sure if that's a response to cari.j.elliot or me but to be clear I'm a neutral pronoun of the other variety, so not being damed. Anyway, I hereby travel from the future to declare myself the knight I will be. Is shall arise, when I find the energy

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:10 pm UTC

VeloCityGirl wrote:
GerardE wrote:
edo wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:The word 'pope' is related is from the Greek 'papas' (originally meaning 'father'. See also 'papa'). So a female pope should be a mope.

Or rather, a mome.

I'm guessing the Greek for mother is something like "mammas" and not "mapas", so it'd be mome rather than mope, though you guys should have a group off four popes and momes and call them the Mamas and the Papas.

according to the fallible google translate it would be metera, in consonants equal to mother. So "Mote" it should be.

I like Mote, as we are dealing with Sand. It also recalls 'The Mote in God's Eye.'

After a day being busy in the Outside, I am five pages behind in the thread... It's been a while since I read that - and now I need to go find it and re-read it to come up with a witty response. I hope I don't end up even further behind!
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Publius10

Postby Publius10 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:19 pm UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:
Publius10 wrote:The fuck is going on in this thread?
I mean, I've been following the comic as avidly as anyone, but man has this gone places.

Time happened. Any other questions?

Yes. Why?

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:25 pm UTC

So many popes/momes/motes, knights and cardinals, but we don't have any archdeacons yet. Can I be the Archdeacon of Buttermongery?
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

cari.j.elliot wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
cari.j.elliot wrote:

Feels almost like cheating. My future self is still essentially myself. Can one knight oneself? And what about bestowing a Knightly title?

Weird stuff happens when you mess with Time like that. I don't see a problem with it though. So bestow whatever you like. :mrgreen:

norcimo wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
cari.j.elliot wrote:

Not sure if that's a response to cari.j.elliot or me but to be clear I'm a neutral pronoun of the other variety, so not being damed. Anyway, I hereby travel from the future to declare myself the knight I will be. Is shall arise, when I find the energy

Both of you. :P But I only had one gender pronoun to work with (jjjdavidson's "she") and I'm too mentally drained to unnest all those quotes properly and use the gender-nonspecific-politically-correct-flavor-of-the-day-word. My apologies.

histrion

Postby histrion » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:So many popes/momes/motes, knights and cardinals, but we don't have any archdeacons yet. Can I be the Archdeacon of Buttermongery?

I would like to be the Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:31 pm UTC

Publius10 wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
Publius10 wrote:The fuck is going on in this thread?
I mean, I've been following the comic as avidly as anyone, but man has this gone places.

Time happened. Any other questions?

Yes. Why?

Because you didn't ask them. :P

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:33 pm UTC

I think "Why?" was the other question.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
Angelastic wrote:So many popes/momes/motes, knights and cardinals, but we don't have any archdeacons yet. Can I be the Archdeacon of Buttermongery?

I would like to be the Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy.

Triple-A? So I should call you when my Tardis has a flat?

norcimo

Postby norcimo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:
cari.j.elliot wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
cari.j.elliot wrote:

Weird stuff happens when you mess with Time like that. I don't see a problem with it though. So bestow whatever you like. :mrgreen:

norcimo wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
cari.j.elliot wrote:

Both of you. :P But I only had one gender pronoun to work with (jjjdavidson's "she") and I'm too mentally drained to unnest all those quotes properly and use the gender-nonspecific-politically-correct-flavor-of-the-day-word. My apologies.

No apology needed, I confuse myself sometimes (and it's not like norcimo gives a clue). Also, yeh! I'm a knight :-) And is Megan carrying something

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:[snip] ...Want in?

Yeh sure. Whatever.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:36 pm UTC

A future version of myself, which is a future-future version of your self, granted me Knighthood in the Knights of the Temporal Something or Other. Now that I have Temporal Power instilled unto me, I offer "cmyk" an invitation into the Knighthood at an even prior temporal moment.

Want in?

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:36 pm UTC

Flado wrote:
mscha wrote:
Latent22 wrote:The eventual 'Finished' Bible could maybe be special printed and one sent to Randall...

One page at a time.

Maybe we send him a giant ring binder titled Bible of time or some better title. In the binder is 1 page with the first image and our first bible comments. Then we mail in the rest of the pages one at a time (with holes punched) for him to the put in the ring binder...

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:37 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I think "Why?" was the other question.

Ah. Well, in that case, it happened because Randall wished it to be so. Unless you're* asking why this thread is so insane, in which case the answer is because we wished it so.

* @Publius
** No, I don't do bizarre footnotes. Don't be silly. ***
*** No, really. ****
**** How did you even get here? You must be lost. Don't you know it's dangerous to be wandering alone?? Here, take this.

yuvi777

Postby yuvi777 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:38 pm UTC

I just realized the very-important-first-ever-message-prophecy I left here many timeframes ago was probably unread by most because of the mod-checking-your-first-post thing. I hereby quote myself for the greater good:
yuvi777 wrote:I was just eating some noodles, when suddenly the almighty Flying Spaghetti Monster spoke to me through His Noodly Appendage.
He sent me on a quest to leave LurkerLand and venture into a pirateforsaken forum thread, only known as Time itself. He told me I must deliver a message to the ancient Timewaiters who are said to live there:

"Cool religion you got there, let's be friends!"

His noodliness has spoken!
Ramen.

P.S. He also told me to build a boat, said something about sinking a sandcastle..

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:A future version of myself, which is a future-future version of your self, granted me Knighthood in the Knights of the Temporal Something or Other. Now that I have Temporal Power instilled unto me, I offer "cmyk" an invitation into the Knighthood at an even prior temporal moment.

Want in?

Ah, the magic of edits...

Latent22 wrote:
Flado wrote:
mscha wrote:

One page at a time.

Maybe we send him a giant ring binder titled Bible of time or some better title. In the binder is 1 page with the first image and our first bible comments. Then we mail in the rest of the pages one at a time (with holes punched) for him to the put in the ring binder...

+1

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:

Yeh sure. Whatever.

Then I grant you Knighthood. You're now a Knight of Time or something. Try not to kill grandpa.

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:41 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:A future version of myself, which is a future-future version of your self, granted me Knighthood in the Knights of the Temporal Something or Other. Now that I have Temporal Power instilled unto me, I offer "cmyk" an invitation into the Knighthood at an even prior temporal moment.

Want in?

Ooooh, yes please!
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:43 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
cmyk wrote:

Yeh sure. Whatever.

Then I grant you Knighthood. You're now a Knight of Time or something. Try not to kill grandpa.

Hmm, I rather like this quoting yourself to perform said actions. And if you are quoting yourself, do you have to have previously said said quote?
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:43 pm UTC

12000 posts...
Congratulations.

Edit: Since I made this post, over 5000 newpix ago, 5 posts have disappeared and it is only post 11995. This edit appears to congratulate Gingercat (and any other blitzers) on reaching the 300th page. Keep going!
Last edited by patzer on Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

vvn

Postby vvn » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:45 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:If someone had the wiki skills maybe this layout could even be the top portion of each wiki page with a border around it. Then the top section of the wiki page IS the output with the sections below just extra ideas and discussion. A bot could then auto scrape this data into a finished book easily.

Perhaps the original comic smaller in the corner of the printed version, so you would have an old fashioned flip book.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:50 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
cmyk wrote:
cmyk wrote:

Yeh sure. Whatever.

Hmm, I rather like this quoting yourself to perform said actions. And if you are quoting yourself, do you have to have previously said said quote?

As a Knight Temporal, I was trying to avoid Infinite Quote Recursion, so I decided to begin the quote chain at the invite, (snipping out most of the quote, even) from my future self; lest this thread collapse into a singularity and give birth to an entirely new internet; but would first destroy our own.

It's all right there in the manual. He also gave me a whistle, but I'm not sure what to do with it other than annoy the dog.

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:52 pm UTC

Caught up. Comatose.
Infinite Quote Recursion is a must.
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:55 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
Others wrote:Stuff

As a Knight Temporal, I was trying to avoid Infinite Quote Recursion, so I decided to begin the quote chain at the invite, (snipping out most of the quote, even) from my future self; lest this thread collapse into a singularity and give birth to an entirely new internet; but would first destroy our own.

It's all right there in the manual. He also gave me a whistle, but I'm not sure what to do with it other than annoy the dog.

Caswallon wrote:
Caswallon wrote:We have a dog?
Of course we do, he has been sitting just off frame this whole time.

That's a really well behaved dog.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
cmyk wrote:
cmyk wrote:

Yeh sure. Whatever.

I'll just leave this here... wouldn't want you getting any ideas about having control* over time and space, would we now?

* Well, indirect control, from being able to warp anywhere. But still.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”