1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
cmyk
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:54 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
cmyk wrote:
cmyk wrote:
cmyk wrote:[snip] ...Want in?


Yeh sure. Whatever.


Then I grant you Knighthood. You're now a Knight of Time or something. Try not to kill grandpa.


Hmm, I rather like this quoting yourself to perform said actions. And if you are quoting yourself, do you have to have previously said said quote?


As a Knight Temporal, I was trying to avoid Infinite Quote Recursion, so I decided to begin the quote chain at the invite, (snipping out most of the quote, even) from my future self; lest this thread collapse into a singularity and give birth to an entirely new internet; but would first destroy our own.

It's all right there in the manual. He also gave me a whistle, but I'm not sure what to do with it other than annoy the dog.


I'll just leave this here... wouldn't want you getting any ideas about having control* over time and space, would we now?

* Well, indirect control, from being able to warp anywhere. But still.



And once I complete the Triforce, I'll have dominion over ALL THAT I PURVEY!
Image

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

User avatar
spamjam
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:06 pm UTC
Location: greenlake seawash

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby spamjam » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

Image

User avatar
PhoenixRising
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:53 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
cmyk wrote:
cmyk wrote:
cmyk wrote:[snip] ...Want in?


Yeh sure. Whatever.


Then I grant you Knighthood. You're now a Knight of Time or something. Try not to kill grandpa.


Hmm, I rather like this quoting yourself to perform said actions. And if you are quoting yourself, do you have to have previously said said quote?


As a Knight Temporal, I was trying to avoid Infinite Quote Recursion, so I decided to begin the quote chain at the invite, (snipping out most of the quote, even) from my future self; lest this thread collapse into a singularity and give birth to an entirely new internet; but would first destroy our own.

It's all right there in the manual. He also gave me a whistle, but I'm not sure what to do with it other than annoy the dog.


I'll just leave this here... wouldn't want you getting any ideas about having control* over time and space, would we now?

* Well, indirect control, from being able to warp anywhere. But still.



And once I complete the Triforce, I'll have dominion over ALL THAT I PURVEY!



Bring out the comfy chair! This must cease!
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

User avatar
cmyk
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:54 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

spamjam wrote:Image


He's looking at her sanddildonubbinsealevelmarker, and she appears to be using an Allen wrench to bolt down the leveling plancks.
Image

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

User avatar
cmyk
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:54 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:05 pm UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:
cmyk wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
cmyk wrote:
cmyk wrote:
cmyk wrote:[snip] ...Want in?


Yeh sure. Whatever.


Then I grant you Knighthood. You're now a Knight of Time or something. Try not to kill grandpa.


Hmm, I rather like this quoting yourself to perform said actions. And if you are quoting yourself, do you have to have previously said said quote?


As a Knight Temporal, I was trying to avoid Infinite Quote Recursion, so I decided to begin the quote chain at the invite, (snipping out most of the quote, even) from my future self; lest this thread collapse into a singularity and give birth to an entirely new internet; but would first destroy our own.

It's all right there in the manual. He also gave me a whistle, but I'm not sure what to do with it other than annoy the dog.


I'll just leave this here... wouldn't want you getting any ideas about having control* over time and space, would we now?

* Well, indirect control, from being able to warp anywhere. But still.



And once I complete the Triforce, I'll have dominion over ALL THAT I PURVEY!



Bring out the comfy chair! This must cease!


Then why did I receive the whistle?
Image

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

User avatar
cmyk
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:54 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
cmyk wrote:It's with a heavy heart, I offer all of you my findings.

Unfortunately, after much research and study, I have uncovered a terrible, hidden, mathematical code that reveals my deepest of fears.

I'd rather show you just one of the hundreds of slides I've put together for a lecture I'm holding on this topic sometime later this year at TED. But I think you'll find a glance is all that is needed to convince.

Image

It's the only possible conclusion. I leave it to the rest of you to look into this grave matter on your own terms.


I don't even.


I tell you, it's as sound and infallible a science as the Bible Code.
Image

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

User avatar
Valiant Cookie
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:19 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valiant Cookie » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:16 pm UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:
Latent22 wrote:
Flado wrote:
mscha wrote:
Latent22 wrote:The eventual 'Finished' Bible could maybe be special printed and one sent to Randall...

One page at a time.

That. Revenge will be ours!



Maybe we send him a giant ring binder titled Bible of time or some better title. In the binder is 1 page with the first image and our first bible comments. Then we mail in the rest of the pages one at a time (with holes punched) for him to the put in the ring binder...


+1

This must be done. It could be titled, "The Past", "How to Build a Sandcastle", "The Book of Time".
Is it time? Yes.

User avatar
PhoenixRising
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:53 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:17 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
cmyk wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
cmyk wrote:
cmyk wrote:
cmyk wrote:[snip] ...Want in?


Yeh sure. Whatever.


Then I grant you Knighthood. You're now a Knight of Time or something. Try not to kill grandpa.


Hmm, I rather like this quoting yourself to perform said actions. And if you are quoting yourself, do you have to have previously said said quote?


As a Knight Temporal, I was trying to avoid Infinite Quote Recursion, so I decided to begin the quote chain at the invite, (snipping out most of the quote, even) from my future self; lest this thread collapse into a singularity and give birth to an entirely new internet; but would first destroy our own.

It's all right there in the manual. He also gave me a whistle, but I'm not sure what to do with it other than annoy the dog.


I'll just leave this here... wouldn't want you getting any ideas about having control* over time and space, would we now?

* Well, indirect control, from being able to warp anywhere. But still.



And once I complete the Triforce, I'll have dominion over ALL THAT I PURVEY!



Bring out the comfy chair! This must cease!


Then why did I receive the whistle?


Whistle != Triforce.

I see Cueball's slacking again... dude better get to work or Megan's gonna kick his butt.
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

User avatar
cmyk
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:54 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:Whistle != Triforce.


To hell with it, it's plastic and smells funny anyway. I'll probably just pawn it off to my past self.



ETA: Done.
Image

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:37 pm UTC

So just getting this straight: the four religious groups are the Eastern Unorthodox Church, the Western Paradox Church, the Knights Temporal (north), and the Inquisition (which I assume will claim south)?
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
patzer
Posts: 405
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:48 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby patzer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:40 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:So just getting this straight: the four religious groups are the Eastern Unorthodox Church, the Western Paradox Church, the Knights Temporal (north), and the Inquisition (which I assume will claim south)?

What about the original Initiates of Time?
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

User avatar
Latent22
Posts: 622
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:57 pm UTC
Location: NZ

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Latent22 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

vvn wrote:
Latent22 wrote:If someone had the wiki skills maybe this layout could even be the top portion of each wiki page with a border around it. Then the top section of the wiki page IS the output with the sections below just extra ideas and discussion. A bot could then auto scrape this data into a finished book easily.

Perhaps the original comic smaller in the corner of the printed version, so you would have an old fashioned flip book.

Yeah interesting idea. One question that raises is if The Bible of Time (abbreviated to BOT maybe?) should be single or double sided when printed. If it was double sided it makes it fell more like a true book but it would make what you suggest harder. Also if we do send Randall one page at a time it would be two comics per page.

Another cool idea is to make it that the back of each page is extra room for words for the next page. Then the layout for each newpix would be a blank left hand page ready for writings/comments etc. and the right side with have the comic at the top (or top right corner even) with the remainder filled with more text etc.

A bonus of this is that if Randall does get the pages one at a time he will have half the description for the next page to come and have to wait for that to come.

User avatar
cmyk
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:54 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:So just getting this straight: the four religious groups are the Eastern Unorthodox Church, the Western Paradox Church, the Knights Temporal (north), and the Inquisition (which I assume will claim south)?


I thought we were an Autonomous Collective?
Image

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:43 pm UTC

patzer wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:So just getting this straight: the four religious groups are the Eastern Unorthodox Church, the Western Paradox Church, the Knights Temporal (north), and the Inquisition (which I assume will claim south)?

What about the original Initiates of Time?

Unaligned, and central. Neither here nor there. Wanderers, spreading the word of Time wherever they may go. I was one once, before I took up the sword in defense of Time and its wonders.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
histrion
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby histrion » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:44 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
histrion wrote:
Angelastic wrote:So many popes/momes/motes, knights and cardinals, but we don't have any archdeacons yet. Can I be the Archdeacon of Buttermongery?


I would like to be the Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy.


Triple-A? So I should call you when my Tardis has a flat?


Holy crap! I've always wanted to get my hands on-

Er, I mean, yes, by all means - I've usually got a TT capsule bay open, and I'm pretty sure I've got an old Type 40 manual...
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

User avatar
PhoenixRising
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:53 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:45 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:So just getting this straight: the four religious groups are the Eastern Unorthodox Church, the Western Paradox Church, the Knights Temporal (north), and the Inquisition (which I assume will claim south)?


I don't believe the Inquisition is considered a religious group. (Or even a group at all yet? Pretty sure it's just Dracomax atm.) I also don't recall seeing them claim any definite territory. Pretty sure the Timewatchers took south?
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

Elmach
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:47 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Elmach » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:46 pm UTC

patzer wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:So just getting this straight: the four religious groups are the Eastern Unorthodox Church, the Western Paradox Church, the Knights Temporal (north), and the Inquisition (which I assume will claim south)?

What about the original Initiates of Time?

What about the Timewaiters?

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:49 pm UTC

Elmach wrote:
patzer wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:So just getting this straight: the four religious groups are the Eastern Unorthodox Church, the Western Paradox Church, the Knights Temporal (north), and the Inquisition (which I assume will claim south)?

What about the original Initiates of Time?

What about the Timewaiters?

They work at the restaurant in the middle. It's neutral ground, and it's also always happy hour there. And breakfast. At the same time.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
partingLance
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:49 pm UTC
Location: never off the boat

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby partingLance » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:51 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:So just getting this straight: the four religious groups are the Eastern Unorthodox Church, the Western Paradox Church, the Knights Temporal (north), and the Inquisition (which I assume will claim south)?


At the risk of superfluous redundancy: the three religious groups are the Initiates of Time, the Timewaiters, the Eastern Unorthodox Timewaiters, and the Western Paradox Church. You can't count us (out).
Last edited by partingLance on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

User avatar
histrion
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby histrion » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:52 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Elmach wrote:
patzer wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:So just getting this straight: the four religious groups are the Eastern Unorthodox Church, the Western Paradox Church, the Knights Temporal (north), and the Inquisition (which I assume will claim south)?

What about the original Initiates of Time?

What about the Timewaiters?

They work at the restaurant in the middle. It's neutral ground, and it's also always happy hour there. And breakfast. At the same time.


Any place that always serves breakfast is eternal happy hour by definition.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:53 pm UTC

arjan wrote:The structure still reminds me of this one:

Image

where Queball looked at us, just before destroying the two walls.

TOTALLY! I was thinking that as I was driving my car and did not realize it had been mentioned previously.

User avatar
jjjdavidson
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 pm UTC
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:59 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
cmyk wrote:It's with a heavy heart, I offer all of you my findings.

Unfortunately, after much research and study, I have uncovered a terrible, hidden, mathematical code that reveals my deepest of fears.

I'd rather show you just one of the hundreds of slides I've put together for a lecture I'm holding on this topic sometime later this year at TED. But I think you'll find a glance is all that is needed to convince.

Spoiler:
Image


It's the only possible conclusion. I leave it to the rest of you to look into this grave matter on your own terms.


I don't even.


I tell you, it's as sound and infallible a science as the Bible Code.


That's torn it. Now that you've connected your secret messages with the Knights Temporal, you may have sealed your doom and that of your newly adopted order.

Unfortunately, I predict that on Saturday the 13th, the Knights Temporal will be betrayed and arrested; tortured into confessing to spurious charges of heresy, mathematical illiteracy, and belief in outside time; and condemned. Your impressive graph will be a central piece of evidence against your order.

However, the identity of the monarch who will order your arrest (the Mome will merely condone it) is still obscure. Only by careful analysis of clues hidden deeply in the 29+ frames thus far presented will you have a chance to preempt the arrest and save the Knights Temporal from destruction.

I, Jay the Clerk, predict this.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

vvn
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:34 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby vvn » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:00 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:Yeah interesting idea. One question that raises is if The Bible of Time (abbreviated to BOT maybe?) should be single or double sided when printed. If it was double sided it makes it fell more like a true book but it would make what you suggest harder. Also if we do send Randall one page at a time it would be two comics per page.

My vote would be to make it one piece of paper per TimeFrame. The back would be used if required, otherwise "Intentionally left blank". Perhaps with the moment in Time printed in the corner of the back as well, so Time could flip backwards.

User avatar
edo
Posts: 405
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:05 pm UTC
Location: ~TrApPeD iN mY PhOnE~

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby edo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:01 am UTC

B/D/Gong

Image
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

User avatar
PhoenixRising
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:53 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby PhoenixRising » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:02 am UTC

Spoiler:
Image


Edit: ninja'd.

Now where'd all those sticks come from?
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:08 am UTC

Thought: The castle will wash away with the tide, and it will be revealed that there was the foundation for a structure (the scaffolding thingy) all along.

Added: They're not going to build a campfire, are they??? What a TERRIBLE idea!!

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6788
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:15 am UTC

So how come they can now go up and down the ladder without problems? It appears to be in exactly the same position as before, when Megan had to slide down the pole.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
Latent22
Posts: 622
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:57 pm UTC
Location: NZ

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Latent22 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:18 am UTC

mscha wrote:So how come they can now go up and down the ladder without problems? It appears to be in exactly the same position as before, when Megan had to slide down the pole.

She may have just moved the ladder sideways a couple of feet so it wasn't under the above plank. That may be what the movement things he drew meant.

Also I wonder If they are just building a wooden castle instead of the sand ones since it won't get washed away by the sand

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2124
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:19 am UTC

mscha wrote:So how come they can now go up and down the ladder without problems? It appears to be in exactly the same position as before, when Megan had to slide down the pole.

Megan moved it over so it isn't under the long plank any more. Not sure if she moved it toward us or away from us though.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6788
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:22 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
mscha wrote:So how come they can now go up and down the ladder without problems? It appears to be in exactly the same position as before, when Megan had to slide down the pole.

She may have just moved the ladder sideways a couple of feet so it wasn't under the above plank. That may be what the movement things he drew meant.

Ah, of course, that'd do it.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:26 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:So many popes/momes/motes, knights and cardinals, but we don't have any archdeacons yet. Can I be the Archdeacon of Buttermongery?

So ordained. Poof! You're a ham and cheese sandwich! ... wait, not that again...

histrion wrote:
Angelastic wrote:So many popes/momes/motes, knights and cardinals, but we don't have any archdeacons yet. Can I be the Archdeacon of Buttermongery?


I would like to be the Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy.

Done!

Added: Right, sorry. Uh, by the power vested in me, I do hereby declare that histrion is now Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. And Angelastic is .... well, Archdeacon of Buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches.

User avatar
cmyk
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:54 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cmyk » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:42 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
cmyk wrote:It's with a heavy heart, I offer all of you my findings.

Unfortunately, after much research and study, I have uncovered a terrible, hidden, mathematical code that reveals my deepest of fears.

I'd rather show you just one of the hundreds of slides I've put together for a lecture I'm holding on this topic sometime later this year at TED. But I think you'll find a glance is all that is needed to convince.

Spoiler:
Image


It's the only possible conclusion. I leave it to the rest of you to look into this grave matter on your own terms.


I don't even.


I tell you, it's as sound and infallible a science as the Bible Code.


That's torn it. Now that you've connected your secret messages with the Knights Temporal, you may have sealed your doom and that of your newly adopted order.

Unfortunately, I predict that on Saturday the 13th, the Knights Temporal will be betrayed and arrested; tortured into confessing to spurious charges of heresy, mathematical illiteracy, and belief in outside time; and condemned. Your impressive graph will be a central piece of evidence against your order.

However, the identity of the monarch who will order your arrest (the Mome will merely condone it) is still obscure. Only by careful analysis of clues hidden deeply in the 29+ frames thus far presented will you have a chance to preempt the arrest and save the Knights Temporal from destruction.

I, Jay the Clerk, predict this.


You and your oppressive hegemony don't scare me! I am a Knight Temporal! Like Socrates, Galileo, Alan Turing, and Johnny Five, the robot from Short Circuit, I shall endure any fate the Inquisition may have for me. Be it hemlock, house arrest, cyanide poisoning, or... uh... disassemble.

Knights Temporal, UNITE!




I said... UNITE!









...I might need my whistle back.
Last edited by cmyk on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

User avatar
fhorn
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fhorn » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:43 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
Angelastic wrote:So many popes/momes/motes, knights and cardinals, but we don't have any archdeacons yet. Can I be the Archdeacon of Buttermongery?

So ordained. Poof! You're a ham and cheese sandwich! ... wait, not that again...

histrion wrote:
Angelastic wrote:So many popes/momes/motes, knights and cardinals, but we don't have any archdeacons yet. Can I be the Archdeacon of Buttermongery?


I would like to be the Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy.

Done!

Added: Right, sorry. Uh, by the power vested in me, I do hereby declare that histrion is now Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. And Angelastic is .... well, Archdeacon of Buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches.


Love the chapeau, your Arch-Cardinalship! Is it new?
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

User avatar
Latent22
Posts: 622
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:57 pm UTC
Location: NZ

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Latent22 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:53 am UTC

Example of possible Bible of Time first page. sorry for my horrible writing :) re read the first forum page as well.

Image

In the Beginning there was Nothing. And then the Lord Randall did say 'Wait for it!'. And we waited. Some said "I have no patience for entropy" and were cast out forever. "Was Randall trying to be deep or just trying to take a day off work?" we ask. And I say he is taking us deeper than time itself and what is this day of work you speak of anyway? We knew in our hearts that something would happen by sunrise. And it did! The Sun it rises and falls but can we duplicate it or really know what our eyes are seeing. What oddities from black and white will we stare at? Will we ever Get it? Is anything happening at all or is all our imagination. Like the two great ones Cueball and Megan we will sit here and stare. Are they talking with hidden voices about what is true and important. Or is it enough just to sit together in silence and watch time happen. Somehow we all feel that this is the strongest xkcd. It is in our head! We all hope for good news. Is this world giant in size and has it been already written. we wait for it. Do we live our lives by javascript and do we trust in png and gif? Does our world update on its own or is time the base of us all?

User avatar
BytEfLUSh
Posts: 308
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:15 am UTC
Location: Sombor, Serbia, Pizza
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BytEfLUSh » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:54 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
BytEfLUSh wrote:So... It has come to this.

I had a vision today (it was a dream, but it doesn't matter).

As we near the 1190th panel, NewPix will arrive more and more often. At the Final Hour of the Time, the javascript makes the comic refresh into a YouTube video, showing enormous castles built on top of hills, many rivers, and a big sea. The title text was changed to something like "You have waited enough." We perceive the time and space as one. As the final frame fades, Kim Jong Un has became impatient.

If it happens the way I described it, call me The Prophet. If it doesn't, I was just kidding and talking about a silly dream I had. :p

I'm not going to point out the fact that YouTube videos don't have title-text.


I'll try not to point out the fact that YouTube videos may have title-text in my visions. :p

Btw, if you reply to a message posted 24 NewPics ago, is that a necro? :)
Last edited by BytEfLUSh on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Image

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

Publius10
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Publius10 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:55 am UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:How did you even get here? You must be lost. Don't you know it's dangerous to be wandering alone??

Huh? I'm not sure what you're talking about - I've always been here... :wink:

...why is this being marked as spam?

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:01 am UTC

fhorn wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
Angelastic wrote:So many popes/momes/motes, knights and cardinals, but we don't have any archdeacons yet. Can I be the Archdeacon of Buttermongery?

So ordained. Poof! You're a ham and cheese sandwich! ... wait, not that again...

histrion wrote:
Angelastic wrote:So many popes/momes/motes, knights and cardinals, but we don't have any archdeacons yet. Can I be the Archdeacon of Buttermongery?


I would like to be the Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy.

Done!

Added: Right, sorry. Uh, by the power vested in me, I do hereby declare that histrion is now Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. And Angelastic is .... well, Archdeacon of Buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches.


Love the chapeau, your Arch-Cardinalship! Is it new?


Yes'sirm, 'tis. Thank you!

Latent22 wrote:Example of possible Bible of Time first page. sorry for my horrible writing :) re read the first forum page as well.

Image

In the Beginning there was Nothing. And then the Lord Randall did say 'Wait for it!'. And we waited. Some said "I have no patience for entropy" and were cast out forever. "Was Randall trying to be deep or just trying to take a day off work?" we ask. And I say he is taking us deeper than time itself and what is this day of work you speak of anyway? We knew in our hearts that something would happen by sunrise. And it did! The Sun it rises and falls but can we duplicate it or really know what our eyes are seeing. What oddities from black and white will we stare at? Will we ever Get it? Is anything happening at all or is all our imagination. Like the two great ones Cueball and Megan we will sit here and stare. Are they talking with hidden voices about what is true and important. Or is it enough just to sit together in silence and watch time happen. Somehow we all feel that this is the strongest xkcd. It is in our head! We all hope for good news. Is this world giant in size and has it been already written. we wait for it. Do we live our lives by javascript and do we trust in png and gif? Does our world update on its own or is time the base of us all?


I think that is the most beautiful thing I've ever heard ... I mean read.


User avatar
chem1190c
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:59 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby chem1190c » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:03 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:Example of possible Bible of Time first page. sorry for my horrible writing :) re read the first forum page as well.

Image

In the Beginning there was Nothing. And then the Lord Randall did say 'Wait for it!'. And we waited. Some said "I have no patience for entropy" and were cast out forever. "Was Randall trying to be deep or just trying to take a day off work?" we ask. And I say he is taking us deeper than time itself and what is this day of work you speak of anyway? We knew in our hearts that something would happen by sunrise. And it did! The Sun it rises and falls but can we duplicate it or really know what our eyes are seeing. What oddities from black and white will we stare at? Will we ever Get it? Is anything happening at all or is all our imagination. Like the two great ones Cueball and Megan we will sit here and stare. Are they talking with hidden voices about what is true and important. Or is it enough just to sit together in silence and watch time happen. Somehow we all feel that this is the strongest xkcd. It is in our head! We all hope for good news. Is this world giant in size and has it been already written. we wait for it. Do we live our lives by javascript and do we trust in png and gif? Does our world update on its own or is time the base of us all?


On that subject, did anyone ever find the actual first frame? I know there was quite a bit of discussion back at the dawn of Time about how frame 0 was/is missing. Naturally it wouldn't have occurred to anyone to bother saving the link until after the first newpix appeared by which time it was too late to save.
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

User avatar
PhoenixRising
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:53 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby PhoenixRising » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:03 am UTC

Publius10 wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:How did you even get here? You must be lost. Don't you know it's dangerous to be wandering alone??

Huh? I'm not sure what you're talking about - I've always been here... :wink:

...why is this being marked as spam?


Look at my footnotes again. :P Nothing references the footnote in question, therefore it should be "unreachable."

EDIT:

chem1190c wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Example of possible Bible of Time first page. sorry for my horrible writing :) re read the first forum page as well.

Image

In the Beginning there was Nothing. And then the Lord Randall did say 'Wait for it!'. And we waited. Some said "I have no patience for entropy" and were cast out forever. "Was Randall trying to be deep or just trying to take a day off work?" we ask. And I say he is taking us deeper than time itself and what is this day of work you speak of anyway? We knew in our hearts that something would happen by sunrise. And it did! The Sun it rises and falls but can we duplicate it or really know what our eyes are seeing. What oddities from black and white will we stare at? Will we ever Get it? Is anything happening at all or is all our imagination. Like the two great ones Cueball and Megan we will sit here and stare. Are they talking with hidden voices about what is true and important. Or is it enough just to sit together in silence and watch time happen. Somehow we all feel that this is the strongest xkcd. It is in our head! We all hope for good news. Is this world giant in size and has it been already written. we wait for it. Do we live our lives by javascript and do we trust in png and gif? Does our world update on its own or is time the base of us all?


On that subject, did anyone ever find the actual first frame? I know there was quite a bit of discussion back at the dawn of Time about how frame 0 was/is missing. Naturally it wouldn't have occurred to anyone to bother saving the link until after the first newpix appeared by which time it was too late to save.


As far as I know, nope, the true first frame is gone forever.
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dopefish and 43 guests