1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:05 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:I think that is the most beautiful thing I've ever heard ... I mean read.

I still say it is Heresy. Well-written heresy maybe, but heresy none-the-less.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:08 am UTC

norcimo wrote:Page 300 so I feel compelled to once again post. I have followed the one true comic and this Needle-pulled-thing for much...Time, and waited for it. I think I could be a cardinal but I'd much rather be a Knight Temporal. Could someone tap a sword on my shoulder and all that

Edit: s/thing/think/

Wait, you mean it was supposed to read "Needle-pulled-think"??? :?
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:13 am UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:
chem1190c wrote:On that subject, did anyone ever find the actual first frame? I know there was quite a bit of discussion back at the dawn of Time about how frame 0 was/is missing. Naturally it wouldn't have occurred to anyone to bother saving the link until after the first newpix appeared by which time it was too late to save.

As far as I know, nope, the true first frame is gone forever.

Yeah i'm not sure about the first frame. I just used this http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/?frame=1
Here they don't have the proper png file name and instead link to http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/images/f/f8/time.png
for the first frame. Don't know if someone uploaded the real first frame to there or not.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:17 am UTC

SBN wrote:
buffygirl wrote:I think that is the most beautiful thing I've ever heard ... I mean read.

Yes it is just crap I re wrote from the first few forum posts on time. It would seem there are too many different groups of different belief to ever write anything that is not heresy in this world.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:22 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
SBN wrote:

Yes it is just crap I re wrote from the first few forum posts on time. It would seem there are too many different groups of different belief to ever write anything that is not heresy in this world.

Awwwww *pats him gently on the shoulder,* it's ok.

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:34 am UTC

Isn't it probably true that after they decided they can't build the castle much higher, they got an idea and decided to build it up on scaffolding? So first they built the scaffolding, then they made it strong enough, then maybe next they're going to move the castle, or just build another one, to the top of the scaffolding to protect it from the rising sea?

By the way, I'm posting this from the past, from a few pages back. I now go back to catch up.

Edit: caught up now
Last edited by Tatiana on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:46 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:36 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
Latent22 wrote:
SBN wrote:

I guess I'm the lone voice in the wilderness. But then I'm still of the belief that Newpix and Timeframes are the same thing.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:40 am UTC

Are those little tiny cranes she's mounting at the corners?

On page 289 Whizbang wrote:I predict at least one Crane Kick stance.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:46 am UTC

I, Eternal Density, being of noisy mind and live body, hereby dub my future self as Temporal Rook of Eternal Sandwiches and Dense Ham and Cheese.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:51 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
chem1190c wrote:On that subject, did anyone ever find the actual first frame? I know there was quite a bit of discussion back at the dawn of Time about how frame 0 was/is missing. Naturally it wouldn't have occurred to anyone to bother saving the link until after the first newpix appeared by which time it was too late to save.

As far as I know, nope, the true first frame is gone forever.

Yeah i'm not sure about the first frame. I just used this http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/?frame=1
Here they don't have the proper png file name and instead link to http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/images/f/f8/time.png
for the first frame. Don't know if someone uploaded the real first frame to there or not.

I just went back to the first thread and checked the first [hash].png file they found which was definatly newpix 2 based on when it was posted. The time.png in the expainxkcd wiki looks to be the original first image as it is different than all the recorded [hash].png newpix from later. So someone must have captured it which would be easy enough from someone local web cache and uploaded it there.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:53 am UTC

SBN wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
Latent22 wrote:
SBN wrote:

I guess I'm the lone voice in the wilderness. But then I'm still of the belief that Newpix and Timeframes are the same thing.

You are not alone.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:56 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I, Eternal Density, being of noisy mind and live body, hereby dub my future self as Temporal Rook of Eternal Sandwiches and Dense Ham and Cheese.

Naming ourselves after birds, are we? Why not go with Time Vulture?
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:02 am UTC

She dropped the Allen wrench.

Edit: Thank you, Valarya, but according to the official forum rules red text is forbidden.
Last edited by SBN on Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Some Ways to Time

Tom Ames

Postby Tom Ames » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:03 am UTC

The latest frame was foreshadowed in frame 351: http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/?frame=351

vvn

Postby vvn » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:03 am UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:As far as I know, nope, the true first frame is gone forever.

So, in the holy book sent to Randall shall it be a blank "do it yourself" page?

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:05 am UTC

I, Knighty Knight, go to coma, as is my wont.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:07 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:I, Eternal Density, being of noisy mind and live body, hereby dub my future self as Temporal Rook of Eternal Sandwiches and Dense Ham and Cheese.

No, I meant the chess sort of rook.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:09 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Birds play chess?

Some Ways to Time

edo

Postby edo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:11 am UTC

Any Timewatchers or Initiates of Time out there?

According to ancient texts of the EasternWestern Paradox church that are yet to be written

Newpix be the first name given by the followers for the gift bestowed upon us by the Creator, and as such, is inferior. TimeFrames be the second name, and it being a better play on words, it is also inferior. The name given the Newpix by the creator is long (256 hex digits) and complicated and impossible to remember, and as such the proper name that should be used.

Montov wrote:But does Randall foresee that we will ⁠crucify⁠ his only son? We don't know yet where that son is (possibly adopted by a carpenter's family),

DoOd! WTF? Where do you come up with this $#!+ ? Calm down! No one's going to crucify1 anyone's son, Ok?

1 Trebuchet maybe, but no crucifixions.

That framing is starting to look like a castle.
Last edited by edo on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:58 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:15 am UTC

SBN wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
Latent22 wrote:
SBN wrote:

I was under the impression that a Newpix was an old unit of time equivalent to one outsider half hour, and as a corollary to that, a longpix is an outsider hour, whereas a Timeframe is the period of time between new pictures regardless of outsider time.

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:18 am UTC

Anybody remember this?

On page 36, Wooloomooloo wrote:...there's a full upper half of the frame that has not been used at all so far. If that's not a Checkov's Gun...

So - balloons? Flying fish? Sandcastle of Babel? Pterodactyls? What should we expect there...?

More than 10,000 posts ago, slightly more than 100 frames after Time began. Honor is due. (Even if Wooloomooloo misspelled Chekhov.)
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

edo

Postby edo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:29 am UTC

Buffygirl - awesome hat you should post it for posterity (and thanks for letting me keep my helmet, being trebucheted wouldn't be safe without it.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:31 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
SBN wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
Latent22 wrote:
SBN wrote:

I was under the impression that a Newpix was an old unit of time equivalent to one outsider half hour, and as a corollary to that, a longpix is an outsider hour, whereas a Timeframe is the period of time between new pictures regardless of outsider time.

This is incorrect.

Nüpiks occurs upon the Update of the One True Comic; Löŋpiks occurs when the Update occurs once every Outsider hour.
A Timefräme is the time betweën each Ancesträl D/B/Göŋ; the ancestral D/B/Göŋ occurs just moments before the Update, and is such that one can view the Update in all its glory.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:33 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:I, Tman2nd, hereby join The Order of the Temporal Knights and swear to protect The One True Comic from all threats, Outside and Inside.

I think everyone missed this post from back when Sir Vincent was the only Temporal Knight. I was Outside for many Newpages, but now I've caught up and would like to note that I am a Temporal Knight. However, I still need a name ...
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

histrion

Postby histrion » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:36 am UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:As far as I know, nope, the true first frame is gone forever.

And that, kids, is how you know this is a real religion.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

histrion

Postby histrion » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:37 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:It would seem there are too many different groups of different belief to ever write anything that is not heresy in this world.

That's okay. The important thing is that you're on good terms with people of all faiths.

(I take my office seriously.)

SBN wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Birds play chess?

Crows do. They're scary smart.

Off to coma.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

htom

Postby htom » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:45 am UTC

patzer wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:So just getting this straight: the four religious groups are the Eastern Unorthodox Church, the Western Paradox Church, the Knights Temporal (north), and the Inquisition (which I assume will claim south)?

What about the original Initiates of Time?

We, the Initiates of Time, are unsettled in place, wandering the Timeframes between the Newpix which doth mark at once their ending and their beginning, a Newpix being the ending of a Timeframe and at once the beginning of a Timeframe. Thus are the Timeframes marked, only by the Newpix. The coming forth of the Newpix is ordained, by The Great Lord Randall, but he doth not grace us with the knowledge of precisely when they will arrive. Great predictions hath been made, and been shown to be False. We allow others to form their religions, accepting their need for such (and enjoying such treats as they may distribute according to their beliefs, but only our gratitude can we return.) Our creed is simple, and ordained by The Great Lord Randall: Wait for it.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:47 am UTC

partingLance wrote:...has anyone else here seen The Land That Time Forgot? The 1975 theatrical version, I mean.

I'm sure I liked it at the time and am almost equally sure I'd find it laughable trash -- or worse yet, dull trash -- now. The poster, though, has a curiously 1950s look, which holds out some mind of promise for the better class of trash.

I've seen it, and actually, it's not a bad Saturday-matinee monster flick. And (if I may be forgiven for allowing the Outside to intrude) it's on Turner Classic Movies tomorrow (Friday 04/12) at 06:15pm Eastern. He's right about the movie poster (being a good boy and not hotlinking it).

(Is there anything else I should have parenthesized?) (Edit: Fixed link.) (Darn it, more parentheses.)
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

elementropy

Postby elementropy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:48 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Anybody remember this?

On page 36, Wooloomooloo wrote:...there's a full upper half of the frame that has not been used at all so far. If that's not a Checkov's Gun...

So - balloons? Flying fish? Sandcastle of Babel? Pterodactyls? What should we expect there...?

More than 10,000 posts ago, slightly more than 100 frames after Time began. Honor is due. (Even if Wooloomooloo misspelled Chekhov.)

Well, technically, the author, being Russian, could only have his name spelled correctly using Cyrillic characters; anything using Latin letters is an approximation. I don't know all of them, but I heard once that there are 13 different accepted ways of spelling Tchaikovsky.
- quoth Elementropy, Time Bandit, TimeWaiter Liturgist, Oxford Comma, and
A Greek Omelette with Fries and Tomato Juice, Hold-the-toast-please in the Order of Breakfast

Tempus fugit quasi sagita; muscas fructibus arieram volunt...

BlitzGirl: welcome to the future!

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:58 am UTC

Valarya wrote:
SBN wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
Latent22 wrote:
SBN wrote:

You are not alone.

We stand together.
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:00 am UTC

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:02 am UTC

Her head a splode?
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:03 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
partingLance wrote:...has anyone else here seen The Land That Time Forgot? The 1975 theatrical version, I mean.

I'm sure I liked it at the time and am almost equally sure I'd find it laughable trash -- or worse yet, dull trash -- now. The poster, though, has a curiously 1950s look, which holds out some mind of promise for the better class of trash.

I've seen it, and actually, it's not a bad Saturday-matinee monster flick. And (if I may be forgiven for allowing the Outside to intrude) it's on Turner Classic Movies tomorrow (Friday 04/12) at 06:15pm Eastern. He's right about the movie poster (being a good boy and not hotlinking it).

(Is there anything else I should have parenthesized?)

Not including it as an [img] doesn't mean it won't be a problem; it still comes up forbidden on account of referer [sic]. Sometimes the only thing for it is to link to the page containing the image.

Added: And for Randall's sake, don't link to the mobile version of IMDB in the forum. :P
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:08 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
Spoiler:
jjjdavidson wrote:

(Is there anything else I should have parenthesized?)

Not including it as an [img] doesn't mean it won't be a problem; it still comes up forbidden on account of referer [sic]. Sometimes the only thing for it is to link to the page containing the image.

Added: And for Randall's sake, don't link to the mobile version of IMDB in the forum. :P

Ouch. I noticed he'd done that and forgot to fix it. It really is ugly, isn't it? (Edit: Fixed link.)
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:10 am UTC

SBN wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Birds play chess?

Sure. I mean, my sister does.

elementropy

Postby elementropy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:21 am UTC

histrion wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Elmach wrote: (snip)
What about the Timewaiters?

They work at the restaurant in the middle. It's neutral ground, and it's also always happy hour there. And breakfast. At the same time.

Any place that always serves breakfast is eternal happy hour by definition.

buffygirl wrote:
Angelastic wrote:So many popes/momes/motes, knights and cardinals, but we don't have any archdeacons yet. Can I be the Archdeacon of Buttermongery?

So ordained. Poof! You're a ham and cheese sandwich! ... wait, not that again...

histrion wrote:
Angelastic wrote:So many popes/momes/motes, knights and cardinals, but we don't have any archdeacons yet. Can I be the Archdeacon of Buttermongery?

I would like to be the Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy.

Done!

Added: Right, sorry. Uh, by the power vested in me, I do hereby declare that histrion is now Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. And Angelastic is .... well, Archdeacon of Buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches.

Can I be a Greek Omelette with fries and a tomato juice; hold the toast?
A Greek Omelette with Fries and Tomato Juice, Hold-the-toast-please in the Order of Breakfast

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:22 am UTC

elementropy wrote:Can I be a Greek Omelette with fries and a tomato juice; hold the toast?

Seriously. Is it Time for Breakfast?
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

The intellect of man is forced to choose / Perfection of the life, or of the work,
And if it take the second must refuse / A heavenly mansion, raging in the dark.
- William Butler Yeats, writer, Nobel laureate (13 Jun 1865-1939)

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:34 am UTC

SBN wrote:[img ]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/4330fb47e6714a594338f4e93ad4df0df74d075247a23b8a2f8152907294097f.png[/img]

She dropped the Allen wrench.

Edit: Thank you, Valarya, but according to the official forum rules red text is forbidden.

Well, that's fine.. because IT WAS PINK! *hrmph*
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

elementropy

Postby elementropy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:37 am UTC

poxic wrote:
elementropy wrote:Can I be a Greek Omelette with fries and a tomato juice; hold the toast?

Seriously. Is it Time for Breakfast?

Always.

<temporal edit>

Blitzgirl:
Spoiler:
I hope you are doing well in your quest; we are cheering you on with more and more excitement as you get closer to catching the fast train we're riding into the future! BEAUTIFUL job on the poem, too!

StratPlayer wrote:
histrion wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:The Time Less Traveled

Two Times diverged in a forum thread:
The Now, and newpages long since made.
But which to wander? In my head
Current posting, the past unread,
Meant I would not be long delayed.

But lack context? I wouldn't dare -
So back into the past I went.
The One True Comic waited there
With newpix left by users fair
And discussions of religious bent.

Both Times that day appeared as just.
I chose the posts that had amassed.
And in Time, I knew I surely must
Re-glimpse the Now that was discussed,
Although by then it would be Past.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere newpix and newpix hence:
Two Times diverged in a thread and I —
I chose the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

That. Is. AWESOME.

Abso-posit-lute-ivly!!!

"Time is amazing, each moment that occurs;
the more I learn of it, the less I know it.
Hail Blitzgirl, of the massive titulars:
Time traveler, inspiration, and poet!"

--Anon
Last edited by elementropy on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:43 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

rainycity1

Postby rainycity1 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:45 am UTC

spamjam wrote:Image

What on earth just happened?

(edited)
...oh, she was just leaning down over the platform. Whew!
Last edited by rainycity1 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"xkcd: Lowering workplace productivity since 2005!" - by lmjb1964

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”