1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

partingLance

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby partingLance » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:51 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Spoiler:
jjjdavidson wrote:
partingLance wrote:...has anyone else here seen The Land That Time Forgot? The 1975 theatrical version, I mean.

I'm sure I liked it at the time and am almost equally sure I'd find it laughable trash -- or worse yet, dull trash -- now. The poster, though, has a curiously 1950s look, which holds out some kind of promise for the better class of trash.

I've seen it, and actually, it's not a bad Saturday-matinee monster flick. And (if I may be forgiven for allowing the Outside to intrude) it's on Turner Classic Movies tomorrow (Friday 04/12) at 06:15pm Eastern. He's right about the movie poster (being a good boy and not hotlinking it).

(Is there anything else I should have parenthesized?)

Not including it as an [img] doesn't mean it won't be a problem; it still comes up forbidden on account of referer [sic]. Sometimes the only thing for it is to link to the page containing the image.

Added: And for Randall's sake, don't link to the mobile version of IMDB in the forum. :P

Ouch. I noticed he'd done that and forgot to fix it. It really is ugly, isn't it?

My brethren and sistren, I am rightly (and properly) chastened. Link fixed in my original post (though by this point, that may be of import to none but BlitzGirl, however long it may take her to arrive there) and in the quotation above; can't do much about other quotations.

But enough of me:

jjjdavidson wrote:I've seen it, and actually, it's not a bad Saturday-matinee monster flick. And (if I may be forgiven for allowing the Outside to intrude) it's on Turner Classic Movies tomorrow (Friday 04/12) at 06:15pm Eastern. He's right about the movie poster (being a good boy and not hotlinking it).

(Is there anything else I should have parenthesized?)

No, and I think all the parentheses were properly closed off. Anyway, it sounds like a throwback, and not for the poster alone. Are there any obvious (or even subtle) references to old Saturday-matinee monster flicks?

I don't get TCM, but perhaps it's on Netflicks.

rainycity1 wrote:
spamjam wrote:Image

What on earth just happened?

I bet Megan is lying on her back, legs locked around something (or not), and feet sticking up, with head and shoulders leaning back off the plank Planck, and hands behind her head, casual-like. Meanwhile Cueball is gaping at her, somewhere between nonplussed and aghast at this daredevilry.
Last edited by partingLance on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:35 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:52 am UTC

rainycity1 wrote:

Wha—is that a chicken up there? No, no, it's just the way she's holding the grapefruit.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:53 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
rainycity1 wrote:

Wha—is that a chicken up there? No, no, it's just the way she's holding the grapefruit.

Megan is bungee jumping.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:00 am UTC

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:03 am UTC

Not bungee jumping, just tieing the rope down up side down.

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:07 am UTC

More newpix revealed, likewise the mysterious Phi Code...

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:08 am UTC

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:11 am UTC

If you insist. That'll be $100 for misdemeanor defacing of a comic.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:12 am UTC

I have decided my Knightly name.
Henceforth, I shall be known as Sir Tristram*, the Simple, Defender of The One True Comic.
Any quests to prove myself with?

*Not to be confused with the knight who was part of what the outsiders call "The Knights of the Round Table."
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:14 am UTC

Mikeski wrote:If you insist. That'll be $100 for misdemeanor defacing of a comic.

I thought it was only $20 and your self respect.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:17 am UTC

The sea is going to come in and destroy their castles made of sand, but by that time they will have built an... I'm not sure what you call an oil rig when it's not used for oil drilling purposes. A rig? A sea platform? And then they can build that into a real castle.

...hauling more lumber in by boat if necessary.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:19 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:The sea is going to come in and destroy their castles made of sand, but by that time they will have built an... I'm not sure what you call an oil rig when it's not used for oil drilling purposes. A rig? A sea platform? And then they can build that into a real castle.

A derrick.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:28 am UTC

cmyk wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:The sea is going to come in and destroy their castles made of sand, but by that time they will have built an... I'm not sure what you call an oil rig when it's not used for oil drilling purposes. A rig? A sea platform? And then they can build that into a real castle.

A derrick.

Bo?

Added: But seriously, I'd be more inclined to go with "sea platform". I think derrick is specifically the towering part specifically for drilling, especially since oil derricks can also be in land drilling.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:33 am UTC

Seems to fit the wikipedia definition of a derrick pretty well. A tower with lifting mechanism. Close enough, anyway. Platform also works.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:00 am UTC

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Bible_of_Time_Page_1
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Bible_of_Time_Page_2
Here are a couple of quick templates for how we could do pages for The Bible. Would probably need to decide what the name of this 'Book' is before we go away and create many more pages.

Suggestions welcome. Also people wanting to add content are welcome as well.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:00 am UTC

Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:03 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Bible_of_Time_Page_1
Here are a couple of quick templates for how we could do pages for The Bible. Would probably need to decide what the name of this 'Book' is before we go away and create many more pages.

Is there going to be one page in The Bible per page on the forum?
EDIT: Sorry for double posting. :oops:

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:09 am UTC

OnTopix [new word coined, please use]: The Megan wiggly ladder incident is actually her handing Cueball the first long stick thingy. When you pass something above your head it is usually a bit unwieldy, not because it's heavy, just...because. There is an error because of this motion: The ladder is actually missing, then back again in the next frame when it's being used. Is the OTC imperfect?

Spoiled for your protection/confusion.

Religion:
Spoiler:
Jafloi wrote:
Latent22 wrote:You know i think we should start compiling a proper Bible.........

Compiling a proper bible: http://xkcd.com/303/ ?

But to be a little more serious; what should it be based on? How should it be made? Still some time till we reach the distance of 50-80 years 900'000 -1'400'000 newpix they had last time the Bibel was written?

The bible should be called The Babel.

Spoiler:
Exodies wrote:Are we going to have a vote on whether there will have been Knights Temporal?

It has already been had....in the future.

Spoiler:
fhorn wrote:I've lost track of whom to beseech/implore/bribe, but could whomsoever hath the power to deem it so please deem me Knighty Knight?
Then I may coma at will.

Coma is a sickness. You should not want to succumb. Coma is like original sin, we're all inflicted by it but must one day find freedom from it.

Evilness:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
Latent22 wrote:The eventual 'Finished' Bible could maybe be special printed and one sent to Randall...

One page at a time.

Must do. My evil streak sayeth that Randall must be spammed in return as he hath spammeth useth. :twisted:

Spoiler:
Latent22 wrote:Sounds good. but how do we get them delivered once every hour newpix

Special arrangement with FedEx or a local vagrant. Twenty bucks and free booze will work for either.

Educational:
Spoiler:
Latent22 wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
chem1190c wrote:On that subject, did anyone ever find the actual first frame? I know there was quite a bit of discussion back at the dawn of Time about how frame 0 was/is missing. Naturally it wouldn't have occurred to anyone to bother saving the link until after the first newpix appeared by which time it was too late to save.

As far as I know, nope, the true first frame is gone forever.

Yeah i'm not sure about the first frame. I just used this http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/?frame=1
Here they don't have the proper png file name and instead link to http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/images/f/f8/time.png
for the first frame. Don't know if someone uploaded the real first frame to there or not.

The first frame should most likely be time.png, but it's the default for everyone until the script kicks in and replaces it with the current frame. It confusedly is right there, we are just expecting more strange hashed file names instead. Time teaches us to be aware of what is there in the present, not the past, and not the future.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:10 am UTC

She is totally just hanging upside down getting her bearings, and Cueball is like, "Oh me yarm, what is my girlfriend doing??? Should I be concerned? Should I leap to her rescue? should I ...."

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:11 am UTC

cmyk wrote:

A derrick.
Derek Reese?

Also it suddenly occurred to me: what if BHG happened upon the construction project? What might he do, or not do?
(Also, I implicitly called the 'hanging upside down' - by example :P)
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:13 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:

Is there going to be one page in The Bible per page on the forum?
EDIT: Sorry for double posting. :oops:

No in theory one page per newpix. if people could agree on one official name for newpix then we could probably drop the outdated term 'Page' and just use that instead. i.e. Bible of Time newpix 1

That means we would need 554 and counting pages. each page can draw insperation from the forum from the time between that newpix and the next (thats if you agree there is any time at all between one newpix and the next or even recognize outside time at all)

Most pages would start out all blank and need to be filled out when people have time

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:15 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:Most pages would start out all blank and need to be filled out when people have Time
FTFY.
[EDit] I hereby dub this thread page 303 "See Other".

fatness

Postby fatness » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:17 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:Would probably need to decide what the name of this 'Book' is before we go away and create many more pages.

Suggestions welcome.

Clearly, the only viable alternative for the name of this 'Book' is The Bibel. It avoids confusion with that other tome and has a nice ring to it, being one letter off from The Babel.

And as an operational note, this timething finally drove me to register after 5 years of lurk. I was hoping to be the final member so I could slam the door behind me but alas, no door.

* pout *

And since this is my cherry-popping post, it'll show up sometimewaitedtime in the future, I think, so who knows what construction madness will be the rage. Not sure what that buzzing sound in my head is tho.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:24 am UTC

The trapezoidal illusion has become stronger.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:24 am UTC

azule wrote:The bible should be called The Babel.

The Babel of Time or just The Babel?

Babel:
In the Bible, a city (now thought to be Babylon) in Shinar where God confounded a presumptuous attempt to build a tower into heaven by confusing the language of its builders into many mutually incomprehensible languages.

well a tower into the heaven's is appropriate

Babel:
a confusion of noises or voices

It also means a whole lot of voices at once which is kind of like this forum...

But don't know if its perfect or not

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:35 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:

Babel:
In the Bible, a city (now thought to be Babylon) in Shinar where God confounded a presumptuous attempt to build a tower into heaven by confusing the language of its builders into many mutually incomprehensible languages.

Babel:

Yes, it's perfect. 8-) *my idea=cool idea=perfect*

The Babel. Expanded to The Babel of Time, or whatever it is we agreed the religion (not the sects) are called. (Would it be The Babel of the One True Comic?)

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:35 am UTC

Is anyone else having trouble seeing the latest NewPix? My data stream is still giving me the hash of the frame from one and a half Outsider hours ago, even when I close it and open a new one. Using c0.xkcd.com, FWIW.

Added: Not just me, after all. It's glitched the geekwagon.net site; it shows the current frame twice, with an empty frame in between. So far, aubronwood seems unaffected, though.
Last edited by KarMann on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:36 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:

Babel:

Babel:

A proper God would have confounded blah blah by turning their cement into caffeinatedsemenbabycancer. Why be indirect? If it's about building, deal with building materials. If it's about communication, then ok deal with language.
Which leads me, by the way, to - if it's about waiting for it, forget sand castles, trebuchets, bad tastes, platforms, tides, ... These are artefacts of being conscious. Waiting is best done in a coma which is our natural state.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:43 am UTC

KarMann wrote:Is anyone else having trouble seeing the latest NewPix? My data stream is still giving me the hash of the frame from one and a half Outsider hours ago, even when I close it and open a new one. Using c0.xkcd.com, FWIW.

Just use more normal means of getting your comic. Here you go: OTC. I haven't had any problem. I also use https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9818122/xkcd_time/ordered/###.png, but that works a minute after live. Whoever made that, thanks. I, uh, make you a Knight Temporal, please claim your position.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:47 am UTC

azule wrote:
KarMann wrote:Is anyone else having trouble seeing the latest NewPix? My data stream is still giving me the hash of the frame from one and a half Outsider hours ago, even when I close it and open a new one. Using c0.xkcd.com, FWIW.

Just use more normal means of getting your comic. Here you go: OTC. I haven't had any problem. I also use https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/981 ... /ordered/###.png, but that works a minute after live. Whoever made that, thanks. I, uh, make you a Knight Temporal, please claim your position.

I download to my own directory cache, using the original filename hash. I realize it won't matter to a reload of the OTC page, since that's done with HTTP redirects instead of this new JavaScript devilry.

Added: It looks like the connection is dropping once every 10 seconds, on the dot, so almost certainly server problems.
Added2: I'm getting curl exit code 7, "Failed to connect to host."

Code: Select all

$ curl 'http://c0.xkcd.com/stream/comic/time?method=EventSource' --ignore-content-length --no-buffer -s -o - 2
Exit 7
$ curl 'http://c1.xkcd.com/stream/comic/time?method=EventSource' --ignore-content-length --no-buffer -s -o - 2
id: d3ff892a-a32d-11e2-8001-00259073a2a9
event: comic/time
data: {"spread":5,"image":"7191f6251ed18085912e41fc743850483ca14d5fb2128ac4a049720bdaa66120.png"}

^C
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:56 am UTC

Exodies wrote:A proper God would have confounded blah blah by turning their cement into caffeinatedsemenbabycancer. Why be indirect? If it's about building, deal with building materials. If it's about communication, then ok deal with language.
Which leads me, by the way, to - if it's about waiting for it, forget sand castles, trebuchets, bad tastes, platforms, tides, ... These are artefacts of being conscious. Waiting is best done in a coma which is our natural state.
Eh, the building wasn't the main issue, just a symptom. The effects of the language confusion is still effecting us a few thousand years later, while people would have gotten over the cement problem soon enough.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:58 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
Spoiler:
Latent22 wrote:

Babel:

Babel:

A proper God would have confounded blah blah by turning their cement into caffeinatedsemenbabycancer. Why be indirect? If it's about building, deal with building materials. If it's about communication, then ok deal with language.

As an Outsider religious argument, it is quite a good one. The only issue is that "the Bible" deals strongly with the idea of words, the power of words, so a lot of the lessons are language based. Bible just means book, and a book is just a collection of words. "Let there be light" and the Ten Commandments, and whatever else is famous, are all just words. To destroy or change the very molecules of life would not send the right message, while it would be possible, it's just not His Thang.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:01 am UTC

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:07 am UTC

If the sea is rising... Are they building a boat? A kinda Noah's ark??
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

Valiant Cookie

Postby Valiant Cookie » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:13 am UTC

I had a couple of suggestions for names a few newpix ago, "The Past", "The Book of Time", "How to Build a Sandcastle". I'll also suggest in tribute to our valuable resource, "The Book of Aubron".

Whatever is chosen, on the inside of the back cover should be a command, the command that Lord Randall would see every time he read the book and reached the newest OurPix."Wait for it."
Is it time? Yes.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:38 am UTC

Time to succumb to coma and wake up in the past. I may not be reliving the same day over and over again, but being stuck in the past feels just as daunting.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:01 am UTC

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:02 am UTC

They're making a porch.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:13 am UTC

SBN wrote:I guess I'm the lone voice in the wilderness. But then I'm still of the belief that Newpix and Timeframes are the same thing.

Them's the Trinity*!
* not that one. Keep googling.
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:14 am UTC

Flado wrote:
SBN wrote:I guess I'm the lone voice in the wilderness. But then I'm still of the belief that Newpix and Timeframes are the same thing.

Them's the Trinity*!
* not that one. Keep googling.

I don't think two-leafed clovers are quite as iconic.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”