1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby KarMann » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/fbce93 ... 95fe11.png
Rut-roh. (And more server weirdness.)

Ninjaed.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Drakeesh

Postby Drakeesh » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:04 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:It is excellent to see that we of the Order of Knights Temporal (Knights of the North, land of the eternal Knights) have grown in number! Hail, fellow Knights!

Shall we consider a few formalities amidst our normal Waiting and defending of the One True Comic?

I would propose that our Order adopt the following:

"We, the Order of the Knights Temporal, have formed in order to protect and defend Time, the One True Comic (OTC).

We are faithful to the OTC and it's Divine influence, but we hold ourselves to be outside any of the formal religions of the OTC. Thusly, we are open to all members1 of such religions,2 provided they resist the temptation to separate our order by Creedish differences. We of the Knights Temporal can accept that a NewPix = a Timeframe = a newpic, and all are but imperfect human attempts to describe the Perfect, Divine revelations of the OTC.

Although we use "Knight" as a genderless term, we are not a genderless organization, having both "Sirs" and "Dames" in our Order. We salute and welcome the differences of gender4, but respect each Knight in their own gender, as well as to whichever genderly parts each Knight might choose to have next to them during their Knightly activities.

Entry to our Order is through either nomination or self-promotion, and each member5 may adopt a new Knightly Name upon their entry, and may dub themselves as they see fit6.

Upon promotion to Knight Temporal, each Knight shall receive:

-- a Great Sword of +1 awesomeness
-- a Helm of Defense named "Matt"
-- a Butcher's Belt of +1 marination, suitable for girding one's Sir Loins
-- a Gauntlet of +1 speed -- perfect for running the gauntlet
-- a set of Chain Mail of Grue-Slaying (+2 defense against grues in the dark)
-- a special discount membership7 to the restaurant of the Thyme Waiters8, with an additional 20% for early-bird specials.
-- a Golden Watch of Watching, to be watched while Waiting for one's watch, or while watching one's Wait."

What say ye, fellow Knights?

All Hail the Knights Temporal!

I say Yeah!

I also accept the proclamation of my future self that I shall henceforth be known as Sir Aheem, Defender of the Right flag. Member of the Knights Temporal, Faithful to the OTC.

I receive the paraphernalia of promotion.

All Hail the Knights Temporal!
Sir Aheem, Defender of the Former Right Flag, Keeper of the Shards of the Shattered Right Tower

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:06 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/fbce93bd4284c593a9841e4ede8c55f80f7fc68c7ce38ef0fb40572af795fe11.png
Rut-roh. (And more server weirdness.)

The book of Aubron doesn't seem to have coped with that :shock:
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

histrion

Postby histrion » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:10 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:We are faithful to the OTC and it's Divine influence, but we hold ourselves to be outside any of the formal religions of the OTC. Thusly, we are open to all members1 of such religions,2 provided they resist the temptation to separate our order by Creedish differences.

This is entirely in keeping with the charge of my office, and therefore do I dub myself1 Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite and Ecumenical-but-not-particularly-Dangerous Liaison of Amicable Apostasy.

1Don't watch, I can't do it when you watch.
Last edited by histrion on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

kryton

Postby kryton » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

Just a guess, but I think Cueball and Megan are building a reviewing stand so that they can judge, award points, and give a trophy to the best presentation of Float-some and Jet-some that the rising tide will parade past them.

An Aside note: in my experience watching digital TV during bad bandwitch spells, pixels are very square, so Megan would only have to dig down a little ways to get the poles firmly anchored (like a wooden peg in a round hole).
1298 and counting

Foarm

Postby Foarm » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:We are faithful to the OTC and it's Divine influence, but we hold ourselves to be outside any of the formal religions of the OTC. Thusly, we are open to all members1 of such religions,2 provided they resist the temptation to separate our order by Creedish differences.

This is entirely in keeping with the charge of my office, and therefore do I dub myself1 Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite and Ecumenical-but-not-particularly-Dangerous Liaison of Amicable Apostasy.

1Don't watch, I can't do when you watch.

Sorry, I was watching1

Did you succeed?

1Just kidding2
2I was just looking at you
squonk wrote:Looks like you grossly underestimated the passing of time.

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

I went back and re-watched them build the structure at the top of the platform. It appears to me that it may not necessarily be attached to the platform, but merely resting on top of it.

Do you think it's possible that it's a boat that can simply float away from the platform if the sea level rises high enough?
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

histrion

Postby histrion » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:21 pm UTC

Foarm wrote:
Spoiler:
histrion wrote:

1Don't watch, I can't do when you watch.

Sorry, I was watching1

Did you succeed?

1Just kidding2
2I was just looking at you

I didn't know you were looking, so it was sort of an inverse Schrödinger's Self-Consciousness situation (the cat doesn't know it's dead until someone finds its corpse).
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Sjö

Postby Sjö » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:They doth speaketh of the sealevels!

It's clearly a comment on global warming. Cueball is a GW skepticist and Megan looks at the empiric evidence.
We barely understand anything but that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.

r34ver

Postby r34ver » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:24 pm UTC

Not this fast...

A commentary on global warming?

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:26 pm UTC

manvandmaan wrote:I find it eerie that they are looking both left and also right...

Flotter wrote:And also, contrary to what I said before, I am not a Sandmason.

Welcome Flotter! I immediatly promote you to HigherGrain! Congtratulations!

Thank you. I will deny everything! Or at least our existence and also our non-existence

silent_death

Postby silent_death » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:28 pm UTC

I have to say, I have a very bad feeling about this - The way Megan talks...I think shit will get real very very soon....THE END OF TIME IS NIGH!1

1Probably not, it has been proposed quite often already2
2Also, I don´t really think I have anything to say in that matter, havn´t even chosen my fate yet3
3Are there any Faiths, Order, Churches who take in people who are just lurking, but not activly participating?
- former Expecto Space Bishop Temporas of the Church of Eastern unorthodox Timewaiters

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

r34ver wrote:Not this fast...

I was tempted to point out AGAIN that I feel watched, sensing The Time Lord's spies everywhere.

Then I remembered: We wait, observe, and interpret.
And from time to time, we even may have got it right.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:30 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:They doth speaketh of the sealevels!

"...and then some Drama was added..."
Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir!
Godspeed to all the OTT travelers! I am one of you now!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)
- The Croissant Man (or Period Guy, whatevs)

kryton

Postby kryton » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:

I was tempted to point out AGAIN that I feel watched, sensing The Time Lord's spies everywhere.

an infinite number of followers at an infinite number of browsers posting comments, will eventually yield a guess or two that comes out correct eh?
1298 and counting

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

Flotter wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:I find it eerie that they are looking both left and also right...

Flotter wrote:And also, contrary to what I said before, I am not a Sandmason.

Welcome Flotter! I immediatly promote you to HigherGrain! Congtratulations!

Thank you. I will deny everything! Or at least our existence and also our non-existence

Most/none of us are fans of denial, so deny away!
Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir!
Godspeed to all the OTT travelers! I am one of you now!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)
- The Croissant Man (or Period Guy, whatevs)

Foarm

Postby Foarm » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

silent_death wrote:<SNIP>
Are there any Faiths, Order, Churches who take in people who are just lurking, but not activly participating?

Even the church of "global warming" seems participating.
I have not seen a participating member of the church of "global warming is a myth" yet. You could try applying.
squonk wrote:Looks like you grossly underestimated the passing of time.

Roia

Postby Roia » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:35 pm UTC

Can we still knight our future selves? If so...

I, future knight Roia, dub, err... myself, Sir Roia of Time, defender of the One True Comic and all Timeframes, Newpix and Longpix. May you Wait forever, watching the One True Comic and all the subjects of the Almighty Randal, defending them from the dangers of the Outside and the intoxicating 'coma'. Arise Sir Roia, Knight of the Knights Temporal or whatever those Knights call themselves these days. Your sword shall bring a light in all the dark places of the Outside and bring them to Time to view the Truth in the Sand.
The World is Waiting, Anticipating...

lazy-bunny.com - Blog.

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:36 pm UTC

Citing old age, the Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church resigns his1 post and intends to stop trying to come up with contradictions.

1 I know him.
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

histrion

Postby histrion » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:41 pm UTC

kryton wrote:
Spoiler:
higgs-boson wrote:

an infinite number of followers at an infinite number of browsers posting comments, will eventually yield a guess or two that comes out correct eh?

It only takes three followers, as long as David Ives writes their dialogue.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:47 pm UTC

The sea level has barely risen at all, and yet Megan says that the sea is rising much faster than normal.

Explanation: Cueball and Megan are like the superhero "The Flash" in that they were able to construct the sandcastles, go for a swim, construct an observation deck, etc, all in a timespan of a few minutes.

We've always suspected that we were watching a story in slow motion (otherwise Cueball and Megan would have been building things at the beach for a couple of weeks now), but we never suspected just how slow.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:48 pm UTC

I don't think it's a boat, not only because it doesn't look like a boat yet, but also because they don't seem to expect the sea to get that high. They don't understand what the sea is doing. Cueball isn't even sure it rises and falls, and doesn't seem to know what that's caused by. What experience they do have with tides is that they move even more slowly than the change we've seen (I can't be bothered looking for the graph, but by most seas in our world, it would have risen much more in the time it took to build those castles and that platform.) So we can only conclude that they either live on a planet of foul-tasting viscous liquids whose small moon and/or star has recently gained mass, or they live on a moonless planet about to collide with a black hole (this may explain the Time distortion perceived by us observers, and also, it's been mentioned several times before in this thread, so it clearly needed to be brought up again) or other fairly-high-gravity celestial body. For bonus points, the high-gravity celestial body is a digital watch (representing time) the size of a Ningi. Or the sea is made of sand/water/semen pouring through the centre of the hourglass, far away to the right.

In other news, would the marinated, thyme-weighted Knights Temporal like to season their Sir-loins with butter? As the deacon of buttermongery I could offer you a bad deal.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

Maybe the sea is just waking up a little early instead of waiting for the alarm clock like it always does. They were making it a nice little surprise and now it's been ruined because the sea is restless.

*Edited due to typo*
Last edited by Whizbang on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

And thus has our Order achieved quasi-validity:

The Knights Temporal
Last edited by StratPlayer on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Aenea

Postby Aenea » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

Stop me if you've heard this one:

Hot air balloon to lift the whole thing above the rising sea?

elementropy

Postby elementropy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
kryton wrote:
Spoiler:
higgs-boson wrote:

It only takes three followers, as long as David Ives writes their dialogue.

"Whenever two or three are gathered together in The Comic's Name, The Truth is in the midst of them, right under their noses..." *

*...with apologies to Matthew 18:20
- quoth Elementropy, Time Bandit, TimeWaiter Liturgist, Oxford Comma, and
A Greek Omelette with Fries and Tomato Juice, Hold-the-toast-please in the Order of Breakfast

Tempus fugit quasi sagita; muscas fructibus arieram volunt...

BlitzGirl: welcome to the future!

histrion

Postby histrion » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Maybe the sea is just waking up a little early instead of waiting for the alarm clock like it always does. They were making it a nice little surprise and now it's been ruined because the see is restless.

Let's leave the Vatican out of this. Dude's only been installed for, what, a month or two?

Shabs42

Postby Shabs42 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:56 pm UTC

Boat was my first thought when the two poles went up. First post here by the way; I've checked on this thread about once a day and I can't even begin to explain how lost I am by only reading about 1 in 3 pages.

Roia

Postby Roia » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:56 pm UTC

Roia wrote:Can we still knight our future selves? If so...

I, future knight Roia, dub, err... myself, Sir Roia of Time, defender of the One True Comic and all Timeframes, Newpix and Longpix. May you Wait forever, watching the One True Comic and all the subjects of the Almighty Randal, defending them from the dangers of the Outside and the intoxicating 'coma'. Arise Sir Roia, Knight of the Knights Temporal or whatever those Knights call themselves these days. Your sword shall bring a light in all the dark places of the Outside and bring them to Time to view the Truth in the Sand.

Thankyou, past-me, who will never read this message. I accept my position as knight. I am Sir Roia, even though I am female, but I like the sound of 'Sir' more than 'Dame'. Now I'm a knight I'm saying this is allowed.

My duty is to Wait for the One True Comic, and Wait I shall.
The World is Waiting, Anticipating...

lazy-bunny.com - Blog.

elementropy

Postby elementropy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:I went back and re-watched them build the structure at the top of the platform. It appears to me that it may not necessarily be attached to the platform, but merely resting on top of it.

Do you think it's possible that it's a boat that can simply float away from the platform if the sea level rises high enough?

Aenea wrote:Stop me if you've heard this one:

like the ship-balloon in Baron Munchausen?
A Greek Omelette with Fries and Tomato Juice, Hold-the-toast-please in the Order of Breakfast

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:03 pm UTC

Aenea wrote:Stop me if you've heard this one:

No, there's no evidence of a Caped-Cory.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

What's going on? There should've been a new Frame by now...

elementropy

Postby elementropy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

Something's up with the servers today...it's late posting the frame now (at least on my system)

digimuzik

Postby digimuzik » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

Flotter wrote:What's going on? There should've been a new Frame by now...

Wait for it...
Keep bringing us news from the past, smolloy!

I waited for it... XKCD Time Wiki

thegreger

Postby thegreger » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

THE END IS UPON US

Edit: Ah, no. My bad. http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/00b3a5 ... a4b4f3.png
Last edited by thegreger on Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

elementropy

Postby elementropy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

digimuzik wrote:
Flotter wrote:What's going on? There should've been a new Frame by now...

Wait for it...

If this were tv, I'd suspect we were experiencing a mid-season cliffhanger...

Bytes

Postby Bytes » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

I hereby dub myself Sir Bytes, Waître d' of the Grains and Guardian of the Second Flag from the Right.

Aubron has updated but XKCD hasn't...
Sir Bytes, Waître d' of the Grains and Guardian of the Second Flag from the Right
Kethryes wrote:The Time when the future meets the past in the present is aproaching! Repent!

Magdiragdag

Postby Magdiragdag » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

I wait for it, therefore I am.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

More dialogue!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

Spoiler:
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time.png

B/D/GONG! And Lo, it was glorious!!!

EDIT: Ninja'd...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”