1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

histrion

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby histrion » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

Roia wrote:Perhaps we should all put stuff in our signatures for Blitzgirl to read, so she has lots of encouragement. That way she won't get disheartened back in the past.

Capital idea, just capital!
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

elementropy wrote:
KarMann wrote:
elementropy wrote:At the initiation ceremonies, the Knight is tapped on both shoulders, the following being said by the tapper:
1st shoulder: Flumen parvus est.
2nd shoulder: Mare magna est.

Then the tapper says: Quanta magna?
The initiate says, humbly: Nescio.

Then the initiate is signaled to rise as a full Knight of the Order, the entire body of knights gathered chanting the battle cry three times, swords drawn and held aloft.

Latin geek nitpick: Flumen parvum est.

My Latin is rusty; mi dispiace... ;-)

I was probably thinking of "Old Man River" and assigning the wrong gender to "Flumen". How'd I do with the rest?

The rest of it looks hunky-dory to me. And, check me on this: you switched to Italian there, right? I tried to parse it in Latin at first, given the context, and that my Italian's nowhere near as good as my Latin or German.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
Roia wrote:Perhaps we should all put stuff in our signatures for Blitzgirl to read, so she has lots of encouragement. That way she won't get disheartened back in the past.

Capital idea, just capital!

Agreed -- already have a message to her, but I'll add some encouragement also!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Roia

Postby Roia » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

When Blitzgirl arrives in the present which will be the future, there will be much rejoicing.
The World is Waiting, Anticipating...

lazy-bunny.com - Blog.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Tom Ames

Postby Tom Ames » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

It sure would be nice if there was a thread devoted to discussing the meanings and interpretations of the XKCD comic 'Time', perhaps in addition to this thread.

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:As the Founder and Grand Mason of the Brotherhood of Sandmasons, I welcome you to the order. Now send me all your money.

In the good tradition of our brotherhood, I deny you all my money!

BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 229 out of 309 pages.
The Architect Age. NP 355.

After a good long coma, I resumed my quest and quickly found the second signpost:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 100 out of 229 pages.
The "Wanna Swim?" Period. NP 176.

I have persevered past the 100th newpage of the thread of Time - yet my destination seems ever farther from me. Commemorating this moment with another signpost to my future self that I hope one day to see again in my travels, despite the fact that this post will only increase my journey.

Also, something about seminal coffee and/or bacon. This is a strange, strange Time period, my friends.

It worries me that my markers are now two posts deep. This journey is taking far longer than I anticipated. I hope it will not last for all Time! I despair at the thought of wandering through endless loops of signposts within signposts, forever lost in the past. :(

ALL PEOPLE! HEAR MY WORDS!
In honor of BlitzGirl and her brave quest, I would like to suggest that EVERYBODY stops posting when she reaches the last few pages. That way she has a clearly defined finish-line for her end-run!
Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir!
Godspeed to all the OTT travelers! I am one of you now!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)
- The Croissant Man (or Period Guy, whatevs)

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

Tom Ames wrote:It sure would be nice if there was a thread devoted to discussing the meanings and interpretations of the XKCD comic 'Time', perhaps in addition to this thread.

But that would get so boring so quickly ...
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

histrion

Postby histrion » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

Tom Ames wrote:It sure would be nice if there was a thread devoted to discussing the meanings and interpretations of the XKCD comic 'Time', perhaps in addition to this thread.

In all seriousness, does it seem like the enthusiasm level in this thread started to slide a bit when Newpix gave way to Longpix1, or is that just my imagination?

1most ancient manuscripts; Masoretic text when the Timeframes got longer
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

lassehp

Postby lassehp » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

I just had a thought, or association. Revelation perhaps?

"riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend
of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to
Howth Castle and Environs."

Significant?

Where is that river? Usually rivers run into the sea, don't they? So if the sea is on the right, then the river should go from the left side of the frame to the right side, along the sandcastle, right?

/Lasse
who has been home for hours, bu still not looked at the other comic...
StratPlayer wrote:Fewer and fewer people writing more and more about less and less. If this trend continues, eventually it will be nobody writing everything about nothing.

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

There is a wiki, with a whole page about such things!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

This IS such a thread, but alas, we of the faithful, being fallible mortals, fall into idle chit-chat falderah between Newpix. But the discussion is still there, none-the-less, and the meaning and interpretation discussion is quite deep. Perhaps you just missed it.

I suggest you follow the lead of BlitzGirl and begin on page 1, and re-read each and every post. I'm sure you will be much more enlightened afterwards. I look forward to seeing you upon your return to the present.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

silent_death

Postby silent_death » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

Awesome Idea, I am looking forward to the moment of arrival of Blitzgirl in the present. It will be a moment of pure glory and joy, the sand will sing and the sea will rise - for she is the annointed one, and she will bring balance to the thread.
- former Expecto Space Bishop Temporas of the Church of Eastern unorthodox Timewaiters

descor

Postby descor » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

silent_death wrote:

Awesome Idea, I am looking forward to the moment of arrival of Blitzgirl in the present. It will be a moment of pure glory and joy, the sand will sing and the sea will rise - for she is the annointed one, and she will bring balance to the thread.

I know this keeps coming up, but we NEED to have some kind of ceremony when she finally arrives.
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

spamjam wrote:Image

So, over the last few frames, the water level is now above the lowest point behind the little sandbar Mean created, so can we safely assume she made it long enough to go across the whole beach?
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

silent_death

Postby silent_death » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

descor wrote:
silent_death wrote:

I know this keeps coming up, but we NEED to have some kind of ceremony when she finally arrives.

Yes, we should...but I think for that we should also have an estimated time of arrival - surely someone must have kept records of her progress so we can foresee when that point will come ?
- former Expecto Space Bishop Temporas of the Church of Eastern unorthodox Timewaiters

htom

Postby htom » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
htom wrote:
AionArap wrote:
SBN wrote:
AionArap wrote:
htom wrote:
fhorn wrote:... will go eat the hot-sauce laced chocolate chip cookies ...

Still wanting the recipe, please!

Yes pretty please, with a cherry on top.

Perhaps one of these will do:
http://www.yummly.com/recipes/hot-pepper-chocolate-chip-cookies

But but but, there's no cherry on top... :(

There's also no hot sauce!

Fine. No cookies then. I slave over a hot stove search engine, I tried to give you something you like, and this is the thanks I get?

I do appreciate the attempt. It has inspired me to find this (untried by me) recipe -- Tobasco Chocolate Cherry cookies which I will try (but not for a couple of weeks.)
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

histrion wrote:

In all seriousness, does it seem like the enthusiasm level in this thread started to slide a bit when Newpix gave way to Longpix1, or is that just my imagination?

1most ancient manuscripts; Masoretic text when the Timeframes got longer

I think there may have been a falling away of some of the less devout once it became clear that Time would extend past the Outsider date of April 1st. Probably some of the impatient, fickle-minded readers were no longer willing to Wait For It once they realized there would be no immediate payoff.

They probably went back to watching the Khardashians or Honey-Boo-Boo on their Talkie-Picture-Boxes...

Tom Ames

Postby Tom Ames » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

manvandmaan wrote:

The wiki and this thread provide a place to join in clubby, posturing granfalloonery. I'm looking for a forum where people are discussing the comic.

Has anybody found one?

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:27 pm UTC

Tom Ames wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:

The wiki and this thread provide a place to join in clubby, posturing granfalloonery. I'm looking for a forum where people are discussing the comic.

Has anybody found one?

Doesn't sound like you're discussing the comic.
Just sayin'.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

descor

Postby descor » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

Tom Ames wrote:The wiki and this thread provide a place to join in clubby, posturing granfalloonery.

Heh, granfalloonery - great word.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

Tom Ames wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:

Has anybody found one?

You giveth a man a thread and also a perfectly good wiki and also he asketh for a whole forum...

granfalloonery is a nice word though.

Roia

Postby Roia » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

Tom Ames wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:

Has anybody found one?

Nope. You could start one, I guess, although I have no idea how long it would live. Just carry on discussing the comic in this thread. People will more than likely follow the discussion and join in, even if you would have to ignore the, hee , granfallonery, hee. I like that word.
The World is Waiting, Anticipating...

lazy-bunny.com - Blog.

Tom Ames

Postby Tom Ames » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
Tom Ames wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:

Has anybody found one?

Doesn't sound like you're discussing the comic.
Just sayin'.

That's right. Because that's not what's being discussed here. Which was my point.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:

So, over the last few frames, the water level is now above the lowest point behind the little sandbar Mean created, so can we safely assume she made it long enough to go across the whole beach?

We're not sure the beach is actually fully 3D. It's not quite 2D either (see ladder). The best theory someone came up with is that the world of Time is similar to an ant farm. In that case, a sea wall like this might work - assuming the liquid (sea water) doesn't trickle through the sand, which apparently it doesn't.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

Tom Ames wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:

Has anybody found one?

Feel free to do that here. I was going to start, but I can't actually think of anything we've left unexplored at the moment. So, please share your thoughts.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

Tom Ames wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:

Has anybody found one?

This thread has discussion about the comic, generally a few posts per TimeFrame. Maybe there is some lots of peripheral discussion, but currently you are adding to it. If you wish to participate in a discussion of meanings and interpretations, I suggest either reading through the thread and finding those bits that discuss the One True Comic itself, or maybe starting up your own discussion based on your observations thus far.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:37 pm UTC

Whilst waiting for it, I wrote up some Time inspired, Haiku-styled, mind blurbs:

Our Great Lord Randall
He gave us the One True Comic
and said: Wait for it.
-
Here we all are now.
Watching the Great SandCastle
and waiting for it.
-
The glorious TimeLand.
Where the River may be small,
but the Sea is big.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

I think the current interpretations of Time are suffering from a major fundamental defect. You see, most people perceive Time as proceeding linearly from cause to effect, for example: The sea was rising, so Megan built a dike. In reality, however, it's more of a great big ball of ...wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff. For all we know, the sea could be rising because Cueball and Megan time travelled backwards from the future and added energy to the universe, creating an infinite loop where more and more energy is added to the system, warming the earth and melting the glaciers.

I just rewatched the first Angel episode of Doctor Who and simply had to use the line here somehow.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:
Tom Ames wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:

Has anybody found one?

This thread has discussion about the comic, generally a few posts per TimeFrame. Maybe there is some lots of peripheral discussion, but currently you are adding to it. If you wish to participate in a discussion of meanings and interpretations, I suggest either reading through the thread and finding those bits that discuss the One True Comic itself, or maybe starting up your own discussion based on your observations thus far.

Perhaps he's come to enlighten us of the existence of the JavaScript, or point out that the liquid level is rising.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Caswallon wrote:

We're not sure the beach is actually fully 3D. It's not quite 2D either (see ladder). The best theory someone came up with is that the world of Time is similar to an ant farm. In that case, a sea wall like this might work - assuming the liquid (sea water) doesn't trickle through the sand, which apparently it doesn't.

I like the ant farm theory, with a sea on the right, and a Home Depot just off to the left.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:I think the current interpretations of Time are suffering from a major fundamental defect. You see, most people perceive Time as proceeding linearly from cause to effect, for example: The sea was rising, so Megan built a dike. In reality, however, it's more of a great big ball of ...wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff. For all we know, the sea could be rising because Cueball and Megan time travelled backwards from the future and added energy to the universe, creating an infinite loop where more and more energy is added to the system, warming the earth and melting the glaciers.

I just rewatched the first Angel episode of Doctor Who and simply had to use the line here somehow.

Recently seen on Facebook:
Spoiler:
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

treadman

Postby treadman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
macraw83 wrote:
Tom Ames wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:

Has anybody found one?

Perhaps he's come to enlighten us of the existence of the JavaScript, or point out that the liquid level is rising.

He did start up his own discussion. Topic: Discuss whether or not this thread is discussing the meaning and interpretations of the XKCD comic 'Time'.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:I think the current interpretations of Time are suffering from a major fundamental defect. You see, most people perceive Time as proceeding linearly from cause to effect, for example: The sea was rising, so Megan built a dike. In reality, however, it's more of a great big ball of ...wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff. For all we know, the sea could be rising because Cueball and Megan time travelled backwards from the future and added energy to the universe, creating an infinite loop where more and more energy is added to the system, warming the earth and melting the glaciers.

That's not the first time I're read that in the One True Thread. Just sayin'.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

histrion

Postby histrion » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:46 pm UTC

Started well, that sandcastle.

descor

Postby descor » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

treadman wrote: <snip>
He did start up his own discussion. Topic: Discuss whether or not this thread is discussing the meaning and interpretations of the XKCD comic 'Time'.

I think we may need to discuss whether it is a worthwhile use of our time to discuss whether this thread is discussing the meaning of the comic.

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

Montov

Postby Montov » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:48 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:

Maybe the sea is very narrow near the castle. :P

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

descor wrote:
treadman wrote: <snip>

I think we may need to discuss whether it is a worthwhile use of our time to discuss whether this thread is discussing the meaning of the comic.

I believe that will be a worthwhile discussion. All in favor, say "aye!"
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
mscha wrote:
Caswallon wrote:

I like the ant farm theory, with a sea on the right, and a Home Depot just off to the left.

I'm certain it was determined to be an IKEA, based on the Allen wrench. I'm just not sure if they are building Båt or Torn or Slott.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

treadman wrote:

But I question whether the discussion of the discussion of the discussion of whether or not this thread is discussing the meaning and interpretations of XKCD comic 'Time' is discussing the meaning and interpretations of the XKCD comic 'Time' and therefore should be moved to another thread.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”