1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Roia

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Roia » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:51 pm UTC

descor wrote:
treadman wrote: <snip>
He did start up his own discussion. Topic: Discuss whether or not this thread is discussing the meaning and interpretations of the XKCD comic 'Time'.

I think we may need to discuss whether it is a worthwhile use of our time to discuss whether this thread is discussing the meaning of the comic.

I think this thread IS discussing the meaning of the comic. After all, what is meaning but the meaning we attribute to an event? To discuss the 'correct' meaning of the comic would be akin to discussing the 'correct' meaning of a piece of art. Therefore, even if the discussion involves how the comic is about green psychic monkeys that grow orchids in their hair, it is discussing the meaning if the comic as that is the meaning I have attributed to the event.

The is no right or wrong meaning. There is only Time, and the only thing we can do is Wait.
The World is Waiting, Anticipating...

lazy-bunny.com - Blog.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:55 pm UTC

Roia wrote:
The is no right or wrong meaning. There is only Time, and the only thing we can do is Wait.

Perhaps Randall is illustrating the futility of waiting for Time. Time passes while we wait, attempting to accumulate it. But I'll think about that more another day, when I have more time.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

treadman

Postby treadman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:55 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
descor wrote:
He did start up his own discussion. Topic: Discuss whether or not this thread is discussing the meaning and interpretations of the XKCD comic 'Time'.

I think we may need to discuss whether it is a worthwhile use of our time to discuss whether this thread is discussing the meaning of the comic.

I believe that will be a worthwhile discussion. All in favor, say "aye!"

Right! This calls for immediate discussion!

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
AionArap wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
AionArap wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
histrion wrote:<snip>
"Lupus magnus est! Lupus fortis est! Lupus deus est!"

"Esurientes sicut lupus" (Duran Duran)

Jeez, thanks for bringing back that repressed 80'ies memory.

Sorry... :oops:

How 'bout this instead?

"Lupus ad Luna" (Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow)

Thanks, that would make up for it.
And then some :)

EDIT: Although it has to be said, Rainbow sans RJD was never the same again :P

Missed your edit first time through, but I absolutely agree!

<age & location reveal> I was going to see them live in Royal Oak, Mi in like 1978 or so, but ended up getting sick and not making the 3-hour trip across state with my friends. Was very bummed at the time. </age & location reveal>

Well, I was half a world away and in the equivalent of elementary school at the time, so...
My first RJD sighting was 1984 in Norway when Dio visited us northeners. I guess that's it for my reveal :wink:
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

Tom Ames wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:
Tom Ames wrote:It sure would be nice if there was a thread devoted to discussing the meanings and interpretations of the XKCD comic 'Time', perhaps in addition to this thread.

There is a wiki, with a whole page about such things!

The wiki and this thread provide a place to join in clubby, posturing granfalloonery. I'm looking for a forum where people are discussing the comic.

Has anybody found one?

I have traveled from the past to warn of the foolhardiness of your quest. Remember, THIS thread started out as a place for people to discuss the comic "Time," and it has since spawned religions, sects, an order of knights, and a new language. Start another thread and who know what could happen? The entire world order could be overthrown, religious wars could be, the planets could slip out of alignment. More than likely, though, it would slip into more granfoolery.

Having said all that, despite the aforementioned GF, there is indeed running thread this thread an incredibly detailed and sometimes even thoughtful (sometimes not) conversation about The One True Comic. Just read through all 310 pages, and you'll see.

Now I return to the past, inspired by the brave Blitzgirl, to wade through the many posts, as one wades through a river, or perhaps an ocean.

Edited to cheer on Gingercat, and any other blitzers out there. Keep going, we're waiting for you in the future!
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:09 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

Looking for BlitzGirl in this list but I can't find her anywhere.

Sorry, that's a really big-ass picture!
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

MESSAGE TO NOBODY/ALL SONS OF BEACHES

Just like the Knights Temporal, I think we should give our Grains some presents, when they are initiated.
I propose the following:

-A +11 Croissant of Deliciousness
    -A Coupon for a free breakfast at the Bakery
    -A Ring with our yet to be revealed Crest

1The +1 stands for one cup of strawberry jam.
Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir!
Godspeed to all the OTT travelers! I am one of you now!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)
- The Croissant Man (or Period Guy, whatevs)

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

Roia wrote:When Blitzgirl arrives in the present which will be the future, there will be much rejoicing.

i think, in years to come, new true believers will be required, as part of their training, to read this entire thread.
This will probably take some time, and give some time back.
This ceremonial phase will be called Blitzgirling, and every time they reach a blitzgirl reference they will drink.
And drink they shall.
It's about time.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
cmyk wrote:It's with a heavy heart, I offer all of you my findings.

Unfortunately, after much research and study, I have uncovered a terrible, hidden, mathematical code that reveals my deepest of fears.

I'd rather show you just one of the hundreds of slides I've put together for a lecture I'm holding on this topic sometime later this year at TED. But I think you'll find a glance is all that is needed to convince.

Spoiler:

It's the only possible conclusion. I leave it to the rest of you to look into this grave matter on your own terms.

I don't even.

I tell you, it's as sound and infallible a science as the Bible Code.

That's torn it. Now that you've connected your secret messages with the Knights Temporal, you may have sealed your doom and that of your newly adopted order.

Unfortunately, I predict that on Saturday the 13th, the Knights Temporal will be betrayed and arrested; tortured into confessing to spurious charges of heresy, mathematical illiteracy, and belief in outside time; and condemned. Your impressive graph will be a central piece of evidence against your order.

However, the identity of the monarch who will order your arrest (the Mome will merely condone it) is still obscure. Only by careful analysis of clues hidden deeply in the 29+ frames thus far presented will you have a chance to preempt the arrest and save the Knights Temporal from destruction.

I, Jay the Clerk, predict this.

You and your oppressive hegemony don't scare me! I am a Knight Temporal! Like Socrates, Galileo, Alan Turing, and Johnny Five, the robot from Short Circuit, I shall endure any fate the Inquisition may have for me. Be it hemlock, house arrest, cyanide poisoning, or... uh... disassemble.

Knights Temporal, UNITE!

I said... UNITE!

...I might need my whistle back.

Sorry! Sorrysorrysorrysorrysorry! I wasn't wearing my glasses at the Time of the call to arms and I just came back from spending almost an entire day running around and undoing people's shoelaces with my foil.
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Your Eternal Servant And Companion Through Time,
Dame Not-Bob
Temporal Defender Of The One True Comic

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

Roia wrote:Therefore, even if the discussion involves how the comic is about green psychic monkeys that grow orchids in their hair, it is discussing the meaning if the comic as that is the meaning I have attributed to the event.

That's what the comic is about? Wow, I totally missed that.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:Image

Looking for BlitzGirl in this list but I can't find her anywhere.

Please no. No big ass-pictures, i beg you, just no...
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

Quest progress: 238 out of 310 pages.
Recursion. NP 380.

As the topic of the thread of Time begins to enter the period of Recursion, I'm feeling a little loopy myself. All of a sudden, messages of encouragement are flooding backward down the thread, in signature form, perhaps responses to my posts of despair from several longpix ago. The sigcouragements I have received thus far:

RobIrr wrote:Attn: BlitzGirl - Do not despair. We await you!

I am deeply grateful for this, although of course I understand that Waiting for the One True Comic supersedes all other forms of waiting! It must be difficult waiting on a person lost in the past.

ChronosDragon wrote:The future's always ordinary, once you get to it.
Unless you're Blitzgirl, in which case the future is full of encouragement and people who are eager to see you complete your pilgrimage!

Indeed, my future, your present Time, now seems far brighter than I supposed. So many warm, inviting, living people!

kryton wrote:message to the followers trapped in the past => don't give up, we are counting on you, you have to get here before *graaaaaa.....* .

Oh dear, perhaps not quite so full of warm people after all.

cari.j.elliot wrote:We wait, and we watch, and we rejoice in the coming of our Sister BlitzGirl.

I am a Sister? When did that happen?

StratPlayer wrote:And a message to BlitzGirl: "We eagerly anticipate your arrival! Please Wait for It a little faster!"

I'm Waiting as fast as I can!

Now I had better pause in my replies and continue on my way, if I ever hope to reach this glorious future of which you all speak. ;)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:I think the current interpretations of Time are suffering from a major fundamental defect. You see, most people perceive Time as proceeding linearly from cause to effect, for example: The sea was rising, so Megan built a dike. In reality, however, it's more of a great big ball of ...wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff. For all we know, the sea could be rising because Cueball and Megan time travelled backwards from the future and added energy to the universe, creating an infinite loop where more and more energy is added to the system, warming the earth and melting the glaciers.

Start well, that sandcastle did.

FTFY
Last edited by AionArap on Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BA-DA-BING!!!

digimuzik

Postby digimuzik » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
Spoiler:

Sweeet. Anything I haven't seen on there just went to the top of my list!
Keep bringing us news from the past, smolloy!

I waited for it... XKCD Time Wiki

htom

Postby htom » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

digimuzik wrote:
fhorn wrote:
Spoiler:

Sweeet. Anything I haven't seen on there just went to the top of my list!

One of the better ideas I've heard today.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 238 out of 310 pages.
Recursion. NP 380.

As the topic of the thread of Time begins to enter the period of Recursion, I'm feeling a little loopy myself. All of a sudden, messages of encouragement are flooding backward down the thread, in signature form, perhaps responses to my posts of despair from several longpix ago. The sigcouragements I have received thus far:

RobIrr wrote:Attn: BlitzGirl - Do not despair. We await you!

I am deeply grateful for this, although of course I understand that Waiting for the One True Comic supersedes all other forms of waiting! It must be difficult waiting on a person lost in the past.

ChronosDragon wrote:The future's always ordinary, once you get to it.
Unless you're Blitzgirl, in which case the future is full of encouragement and people who are eager to see you complete your pilgrimage!

Indeed, my future, your present Time, now seems far brighter than I supposed. So many warm, inviting, living people!

kryton wrote:message to the followers trapped in the past => don't give up, we are counting on you, you have to get here before *graaaaaa.....* .

Oh dear, perhaps not quite so full of warm people after all.

cari.j.elliot wrote:We wait, and we watch, and we rejoice in the coming of our Sister BlitzGirl.

I am a Sister? When did that happen?

StratPlayer wrote:And a message to BlitzGirl: "We eagerly anticipate your arrival! Please Wait for It a little faster!"

I'm Waiting as fast as I can!

Now I had better pause in my replies and continue on my way, if I ever hope to reach this glorious future of which you all speak. ;)

A Sister in Waiting. Though you could join the Initiates of Time, as well.
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

manvandmaan wrote:I hereby make it known, that I, manvandemaan have created a local Sandmasonry chapter.

Our Chapter is called: Chapter 3: Wherein our Hero founds a new Chapter named: Chapter 3: Wherein our Hero founds a new Chapter named: Chapter 3 /snip
also know as: The Self-Referring Recursive Chapter. (TSRRC)

Our "clubhouse" is in the (hidden) backroom of a bakery, not far from the central TimeWaiters restaurant.

Our local rituals are:
- We deny our existence and also we deny our non-existence.
- We replace "and" by "and also"
- We meet at breakfast (which can be any time of day, since it's always a good time for a breakfast)
- We drink Tea (although Coffee is also allowed)
- We wait for it

Our ranks are:
- NewGrain
- SandGrain
- HigherGrain
- Chief of Grains

Our logo is:
Under construction. Concepts already exist.

To become a NewGrain, you first have to proclaim you are a Sandmason, then later deny this. After the denial you are initiated.
Anyone of a higher rank can give you a rank-upgrade as high as his/her own rank.
Any initiate may and also may not refer to him/herself as a "Sandmason" or "Son/Daughter of a Beach".

manvandmaan, are you sure you wouldn't be happier in the Western Paradox Church? You're definitely working our corner. Which, of course, and contrary to all expectations including our own, we officially support, and unofficially condemn.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

I just remembered this song; at the time, it was thought that it was written for a Masters of Song Fu challenge to write a song using exactly ten distinct words, but we now know it is about the One True Comic. Time is love… Time is life.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

Eliram wrote:
Roia wrote:When Blitzgirl arrives in the present which will be the future, there will be much rejoicing.

i think, in years to come, new true believers will be required, as part of their training, to read this entire thread.
This ceremonial phase will be called Blitzgirling, and every time they reach a blitzgirl reference they will drink.
And drink they shall.

Blitzgirl's signposts, when read all in one, actually give a relatively accurate summary of the thread.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Roia

Postby Roia » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:40 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Roia wrote:Therefore, even if the discussion involves how the comic is about green psychic monkeys that grow orchids in their hair, it is discussing the meaning if the comic as that is the meaning I have attributed to the event.

Surely all the coffeesemenbabies*, sandcastles and rising sea made that obvious? You're not looking at the comic DEEP enough, lmjb...

*Apparently, coffeesemenbabies has now entered my iPads dictionary.

lazy-bunny.com - Blog.

Jafloi

Postby Jafloi » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
descor wrote:

I believe that will be a worthwhile discussion. All in favor, say "aye!"

aye!
buffygirl wrote:Jafloi, [...] I do hereby annoint you as Cardinal Jafloi of the Chicken Salad Sandwich, mayo optional.
...and Lightscribe (woodworker of time)

BlitzGirl: "wait fast, but wait well" *And good luck with the rest of your journey!!*You made it! Welcome!

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
macraw83 wrote:
Tom Ames wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:
Tom Ames wrote:It sure would be nice if there was a thread devoted to discussing the meanings and interpretations of the XKCD comic 'Time', perhaps in addition to this thread.

There is a wiki, with a whole page about such things!

The wiki and this thread provide a place to join in clubby, posturing granfalloonery. I'm looking for a forum where people are discussing the comic.

Has anybody found one?

This thread has discussion about the comic, generally a few posts per TimeFrame. Maybe there is some lots of peripheral discussion, but currently you are adding to it. If you wish to participate in a discussion of meanings and interpretations, I suggest either reading through the thread and finding those bits that discuss the One True Comic itself, or maybe starting up your own discussion based on your observations thus far.

Perhaps he's come to enlighten us of the existence of the JavaScript, or point out that the liquid level is rising.

Hey, did you see that java script too? I thought I had a virus, spent a weekend reinstalling.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:44 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:I hereby make it known, that I, manvandemaan have created a local Sandmasonry chapter.

Our Chapter is called: Chapter 3: Wherein our Hero founds a new Chapter named: Chapter 3: Wherein our Hero founds a new Chapter named: Chapter 3 /snip
also know as: The Self-Referring Recursive Chapter. (TSRRC)

Our "clubhouse" is in the (hidden) backroom of a bakery, not far from the central TimeWaiters restaurant.

Our local rituals are:
- We deny our existence and also we deny our non-existence.
- We replace "and" by "and also"
- We meet at breakfast (which can be any time of day, since it's always a good time for a breakfast)
- We drink Tea (although Coffee is also allowed)
- We wait for it

Our ranks are:
- NewGrain
- SandGrain
- HigherGrain
- Chief of Grains

Our logo is:
Under construction. Concepts already exist.

To become a NewGrain, you first have to proclaim you are a Sandmason, then later deny this. After the denial you are initiated.
Anyone of a higher rank can give you a rank-upgrade as high as his/her own rank.
Any initiate may and also may not refer to him/herself as a "Sandmason" or "Son/Daughter of a Beach".

manvandmaan, are you sure you wouldn't be happier in the Western Paradox Church? You're definitely working our corner. Which, of course, and contrary to all expectations including our own, we officially support, and unofficially condemn.

Hey, those aren't mutually exclusive you know. The Brotherhood of Sandmasons is not a church, and we accept members from any and all religions.
If he* wants to join your cult church, that only furthers our influence. As long as I get all the money...

*Gender inferred from username.

BA-DA-BING!!!

Roia

Postby Roia » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:45 pm UTC

Angelastic: Re. Your sig:

Angelastic wrote:Message for BlitzGirl, I think if you add a note from yourself in your signature knighting yourself as a Knight Temporal, and then you read it back there in the past, you will officially become a Knight Temporal (knighted by your beknighted future self, for only a knight can knight a knight.)

Would that mean Blitzgirl would be the first ever Knight Temporal? At least it would create some kind of bizarre paradox where a Knight existed before the Knights existed. Or something. If so, I approve of it.

lazy-bunny.com - Blog.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:48 pm UTC

Roia wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:

Surely all the coffeesemenbabies*, sandcastles and rising sea made that obvious? You're not looking at the comic DEEP enough, lmjb...

*Apparently, coffeesemenbabies has now entered my iPads dictionary.

If only that dictionary synced back to a global shared one*, our world dominance would be right around the corner.

*Come to think of it, it probably does. \o/

BA-DA-BING!!!

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:49 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Eliram wrote:

And drink they shall.

Blitzgirl's signposts, when read all in one, actually give a relatively accurate summary of the thread.

I noticed this a few signposts back, but as I was about 8 NewPages behind at the time I decided not to comment.

It will certainly be an exciting time when she becomes a part of the Present, she seems like she might have a lot to add to the current state of affairs.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

histrion

Postby histrion » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:53 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:I just remembered this song; at the time, it was thought that it was written for a Masters of Song Fu challenge to write a song using exactly ten distinct words, but we now know it is about the One True Comic. Time is love… Time is life.

Philip Glass is a loaf of bread! NO CHANGE!
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:57 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
Spoiler:

I can't find any movies in that diagram with the special detail 'Time travel in the nude'. In fact, I'm not sure exactly what should indicate that. Is it the unbroken line (implying that any nude time travel necessarily provokes more-than-global scale events) the colour (indicating that nudity itself is a method of time travel; The Legend of Neil: Skinflute of Time?) or the possible slight decrease in opacity (which would be really difficult to spot, and I think I can only see it in the Changes Profession one) or is it that the corners of the round rect have a larger radius? Or is it a red herring because actually none of those movies have nude time travel? Oh, is it the subtle italics? Right, looks like it might be the italics. Carry on.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Page 229 Addendum:

PhoenixRising wrote:Preserved for BlitzGirl as she gets further in her journey: an ancient sign written in a strange script. If you translate the script, it says "abandon sanity, all ye who enter here. This be the land of strangeness and madness Reckoning."

And the coffee comments are only about to get wilder. You can't begin to realize yet...

macraw83 wrote:
It's not just that Time period that is strange, caffeinatedsemenbabycoffeebacon (or something) still keeps popping up in recent newpix, even over a hundred newpages later...

I alter my earlier statement: I despair at the thought of wandering through endless loops of signposts within signposts, forever reading of caffeinatedsemenbabycoffeebacon (or something).

The Time Thread: Come for an explaination of the comic, stay for the baconcaffeinatedsemencancerbabies!
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

histrion

Postby histrion » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
fhorn wrote:
Spoiler:

I can't find any movies in that diagram with the special detail 'Time travel in the nude'. In fact, I'm not sure exactly what should indicate that. Is it the unbroken line (implying that any nude time travel necessarily provokes more-than-global scale events) the colour (indicating that nudity itself is a method of time travel; The Legend of Neil: Skinflute of Time?) or the possible slight decrease in opacity (which would be really difficult to spot, and I think I can only see it in the Changes Profession one) or is it that the corners of the round rect have a larger radius? Or is it a red herring because actually none of those movies have nude time travel? Oh, is it the subtle italics? Right, looks like it might be the italics. Carry on.

It's the italics.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

So currently we have Knights, Cardinals, Bishops, Popes, Anti-Popes, Timewaiters, what else am I missing...

Do we have any Dukes, Arch-Dukes, Duchesses? Or even better, do we have a Holy Timean Emporer(as ordained by one of the churches) yet?
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 223 out of 303 pages.
The Architect Age. NP 342.
Spoiler:
Foarm wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Alas, I came to this thread hundreds of newpix after the Beginning of Time. As penitence for my lateness and as a demonstration of my devotion I have set out on a quest to read every page of the One True Thread, like the noble Beidah long before me.

Quest progress: 77 out of 223 pages.
The Populated Period of Expansion. NP 156.

I send forth this message now in the fervent hope that I shall encounter it again on my journey, tangled in the thread of Time.

All congratulations to BlitzGirl, for reading another 146 pages and reaching this point. Success on the remaining pages.

At last! I have spotted the initial signpost I left for myself, when I first began my travels. And an encouraging message from Foarm, for which I am grateful. There are still many newpages to go, looming ahead like strange structures on the sand. But now I have passed the first marker. Henceforth, I follow my own breadcrumbs forward into the future, though they were left by myself in the past. The thread of Time is a strange and wonderful place, my friends. I would say that Time has no meaning here, were not the exact opposite true.

Onward!

Blitzgirl, you ROCK!

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

Gimme that old Time religion,
It's good enough for me!

Th'One True Comic, we adore it,
Ev'ry Timeframe brings us more Writ,
As we rally to: "Wait for it."--
--That's good enough for me.
(chorus)

Be it Timeframe, Long-, or Newpix,
We will wait our chance to view Pix
Built from grains of ancient comix1,
And that's good enough for me.
(chorus)

Here where neither night nor day run
We watch Queball build with Megan
And await more trebuchet fun
And that's good enough for me.
(chorus)

We proclaim the Knights Temporal
Couched in language rather floral;
With our Mome we'll never quarrel
'Cause she's good enough for we.
(chorus)

Post of each new flag and tower;
Thread length growing by the hour2;
Reach 216
--I'll say, "Good enough for me!"
(chorus)

You may know us by aroma3;
We've no Time for care of soma;
Scarcely bathe and rarely coma
But that's good enough for me.
(chorus)

Waiting for the final chapter
We debate which end is apter:
Rising tide or rav'ning 'raptor?
IT's not good enough for me.4
(chorus)

(Added: With thanks to Eoink and KarMann who inspired me to this.)

1. Soilant Black is pixels! Soilant Black is pixels!
2. Hour: a mythical unit of duration said to correspond roughly to one Longpix; usually used poetically.
3. Clearly this verse refers to some ascetic or even anchorite sect; no self-respecting Knight Temporal would allow himself to become unclean.
4. I was going to make each word in this verse link to a different End-of-Time theory, but I got lazy. Sorry.
16. Ceci n'est pas une footnote.

Edited: - for whitespace
- each new wall and tower > each new flag and tower
- une footnote
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:31 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:So currently we have Knights, Cardinals, Bishops, Popes, Anti-Popes, Timewaiters, what else am I missing...

An archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches and an Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy.

histrion wrote:
Angelastic wrote:I just remembered this song; at the time, it was thought that it was written for a Masters of Song Fu challenge to write a song using exactly ten distinct words, but we now know it is about the One True Comic. Time is love… Time is life.

Philip Glass is a loaf of bread! NO CHANGE!

Go! Go! Go! Go! Time! Time! Time! Time!
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:10 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:So currently we have Knights, Cardinals, Bishops, Popes, Anti-Popes, Timewaiters, what else am I missing...

Do we have any Dukes, Arch-Dukes, Duchesses? Or even better, do we have a Holy Timean Emporer(as ordained by one of the churches) yet?

There's a Grand Duke living just round the corner. We have atheists. Or perhaps more precisely, we have at least one scientismist.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:13 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
fhorn wrote:
Spoiler:

Damn you, you got me all exited for The Legend of Neil: Skinflute of Time, but after a quick googling of the assumed motion picture title it turned out you just made that one up yourself, didn't ya? Boooo boooo hissss hisssss.

BA-DA-BING!!!

vvn

Postby vvn » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:13 pm UTC

Sjö wrote:It's clearly a comment on global warming. Cueball is a GW skepticist and Megan looks at the empiric evidence.

I have seen this comment before, and it seemed to be ignored, so I assumed it was Heresy.

Also said before: It is my belief that 2d sand (or any other pile of 2d things) is impermeable, so Megan's dike would work. (If strong enough.)

I am in the past, so apologies if these things have occurred.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: BlitzGirl was here

I stopped posting here a long, long Time ago, but I had to do it again.

I therefore propose nominating blitzgirl, for her out-of-scale efforts on watching Time and Thread, as Supreme Observer of Time, position right below our beloved Lord Randall and above any member of any sect, religion or cult here present.
Last edited by AluisioASG on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”