1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cmyk » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:56 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Spoiler:
KarMann wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:I think the current interpretations of Time are suffering from a major fundamental defect. You see, most people perceive Time as proceeding linearly from cause to effect, for example: The sea was rising, so Megan built a dike. In reality, however, it's more of a great big ball of ...wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff. For all we know, the sea could be rising because Cueball and Megan time travelled backwards from the future and added energy to the universe, creating an infinite loop where more and more energy is added to the system, warming the earth and melting the glaciers.

I just rewatched the first Angel episode of Doctor Who and simply had to use the line here somehow.

Recently seen on Facebook:

ZOMGILLUMINATI!!!

*mounts temporal horse and moves through time in fancy L-shaped maneuvers, blowing whistle in alarm*

"IF" I was part of the Temporal Illuminati, which I'm not, I would vehemently deny any such involvement, which I won't, and explain that it is just an innocent expression of modern art, which it isn't, and not a roadmap to the ultimate power, which couldn't possibly be true because that would be silly.

Curj, gung jnf n pybfr bar. Uheenu sbe frperg cynaf!

So, you wouldn't know anything about the golden spirals leading to a Cracker Barrel off I-75, this coming Tuesday at 8:30 EST?

See ya there!

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:58 pm UTC

descor wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
Jafloi wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
Jafloi wrote:Don't like to quote myself, but for those of you that got the strength:

Jafloi wrote:..And now, with my seventh 111th post, I hereby ask what to do to become a Cardinal? Does I have to walk through ice and fire? Climb (the) seven mountains? (which of them?) Find the one and holy treasure in the mysterious cave of Time? Or just wait for it?....

You first have to decide which of the Sects of Time you seek to be Cardinal in. It matters because each one will ignore your request in their own unique way...

Ah, that explains it. Then I just have to apologise to all of you that has been busy ignoring my post...

And then I declare myself, by the right given to me by myself (and probably in a way Exodies), cardinal *unspecified* of the church/cult of Timewaiters. If the pope has got something to say of that matter, it would be nice if he did, and if he does not, that is probably fine, to.

I, BuffyGirl of various awesomeness (can't be bothered to look up my full title at the moment), do hereby nominate you, Jafloi, for Cardinalship of the Timewaiters. Perhaps some other Cardinal can second this nomination, in which case I'll just wave my magic wand and turn you into a sandwich.

Seconded - although only if the sandwich contains chicken.
Mmmm chicken.

Jafloi, by the power vested in me, Timewaiter Arch-Cardinal Buffygirl, She who Rises From The Flames Like A Phoenix To Continue With Her Pursuit of Hat Perfection, I do hereby annoint you as Cardinal Jafloi of the Chicken Salad Sandwich, mayo optional.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:59 pm UTC

vvn wrote:
AionArap wrote:I categorically deny all knowledge of such things as these.

I, with full knowledge, can attest that no such thing exists.

I also deny that I ever said I was a Sandmason.

Welcome.

Now send me all your money.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:00 am UTC

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:02 am UTC

descor wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
Jafloi wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
Jafloi wrote:Don't like to quote myself, but for those of you that got the strength:

Jafloi wrote:..And now, with my seventh 111th post, I hereby ask what to do to become a Cardinal? Does I have to walk through ice and fire? Climb (the) seven mountains? (which of them?) Find the one and holy treasure in the mysterious cave of Time? Or just wait for it?....

You first have to decide which of the Sects of Time you seek to be Cardinal in. It matters because each one will ignore your request in their own unique way...

Ah, that explains it. Then I just have to apologise to all of you that has been busy ignoring my post...

And then I declare myself, by the right given to me by myself (and probably in a way Exodies), cardinal *unspecified* of the church/cult of Timewaiters. If the pope has got something to say of that matter, it would be nice if he did, and if he does not, that is probably fine, to.

I, BuffyGirl of various awesomeness (can't be bothered to look up my full title at the moment), do hereby nominate you, Jafloi, for Cardinalship of the Timewaiters. Perhaps some other Cardinal can second this nomination, in which case I'll just wave my magic wand and turn you into a sandwich.

Seconded - although only if the sandwich contains chicken.
Mmmm chicken.

In fact, Buffygirl; would your holiness be willing to make me the Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch? I feel ready for the responsibility!

*sighs and rolls her eyes at the demands of her position.* I, Buffygirl of the same awesomeness I just stated a minute ago, do hereby ratify you, descor, as Descor, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch, also to be known as KOTCAMOTH. Make it so!

edo

Postby edo » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:02 am UTC

By the powers not vested in me, I the Revered Apostate of the EasternWestern Paradox Church, trebuchet BlitzGirl sole cardinal of the EasternWestern Paradox faith, until such time that she reads this post. The EasternWestern Paradox Cardinals must at such time choose from amongst these cardinals, a new Patriarch by unanimous vote1.

1 The cardinals may vote for any cardinal of the EasternWestern Paradox faith except those other than themself

Spoiler:
A Paradox resolved! It is through Her that it is done!
Last edited by edo on Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:02 am UTC

spamjam wrote:Image

I sense more dike-building in our future.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:05 am UTC

In case anyone is thinking Megan walks on water¹, she doesn't - she's standing in the water.
Comparison with two pix ago:

¹: e.g. me, briefly

ETfix image URL
Last edited by mscha on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:06 am UTC

SO i'm back after far too many timeframes away.

Does anyone need any Basalt or Grantie? Goes great with Port....
Is pope Helper still pope?
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

vvn

Postby vvn » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:08 am UTC

AionArap wrote:Welcome.

No, really. I am not a Sandmason, I have never declared myself to be a Sandmason!

vvn

Postby vvn » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:10 am UTC

mscha wrote:In case anyone is thinking Megan walks on water¹,
¹: e.g. me, briefly

Me too. Also briefly. I did the same comparison without the nice presentation graphic.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:14 am UTC

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Book_of_Time_Page_1

For now I've renamed Bible of Time to "Book of Time"

I've set up the first 10 pages ready for editing but only a few have anything filled in yet.

The pages can be filled with any thoughts, comments, sayings, quotes, songs, poems or whatever takes your fancy. One Idea is to draw inspiration by going back and reading the original forum posts from just after the newpix depicted on each page so it has a sense of its place in time.

The middle section is where you can fill in whatever you want or add to what others have already written there.

The bottom section is currently a hypothetical quote from Cueball or Megan relating to the current newpix and may relate to previous or future hypothetical quotes to form a new narrative to inspire hilarity and debate.

And special thanks to Jafloi for being the first to join in with edits! And to Patzer for his work on the wiki

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:15 am UTC

edo wrote:By the powers not vested in me, I the Revered Apostate of the Eastern Paradox Church....

Woah, I don't think you can just create a new church out of nowhere. We, the [insert church here], have a long established history. Don't make a mockery of this faith. You gotta at least establish the Church before you become something revered to it.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

descor

Postby descor » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:16 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:*sighs and rolls her eyes at the demands of her position.*

But you do it so well!
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

fatness

Postby fatness » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:20 am UTC

azule wrote:You gotta at least establish the Church before you become something revered to it.

Uh, there appears to have been some sort of postal mishap where the Eastern Paradox Church-in-a-can was misdelivered across the street along with some documents in brown paper wrappers I would rather not talk about in mixed company.

Kabuthunk

Postby Kabuthunk » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:20 am UTC

Y'know, the fact that the Cardinal/etc thing has not only gone on this long, but has in and of itself spawned a rival order of Sandmasons is a little bit of awesome, disturbing, and amusing.

I dunno, Sandmason sounds a helluva lot cooler. Sorry guys, but if you're going for name recognition, Sandmason just sounds more awesome, so if given the offer, I'd have to give the nod to them.

That aside however, I'm a bit curious. She's literally standing IN the water right now. Wondering if there's a reason, or just the fact that cool water over your feet after hours of labour is just frickin' amazing.

TreibAir

Postby TreibAir » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:21 am UTC

I have written a little script which tracks the average water level in a 40 pixel wide area on the far right. It's still a little rough but it works.

Since the position of the water level before and after the zoom at the beginning did not change, I used the entire data. The few glitches in the curve are Megan or Cueball swimming through the area of interest and moste likely the frame in which Megan presents the mini trebouchet.

I'd like to share the image...the hourly updated curve rests in my public Dropbox but the forum rules apparently don't allow links to Dropbox :(

My best guess is that the dyke will be flooded in about 48 hours from now.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:22 am UTC

Kabuthunk wrote:Y'know, the fact that the Cardinal/etc thing has not only gone on this long, but has in and of itself spawned a rival order of Sandmasons is a little bit of awesome, disturbing, and amusing.

I dunno, Sandmason sounds a helluva lot cooler. Sorry guys, but if you're going for name recognition, Sandmason just sounds more awesome, so if given the offer, I'd have to give the nod to them.

That aside however, I'm a bit curious. She's literally standing IN the water right now. Wondering if there's a reason, or just the fact that cool water over your feet after hours of labour is just frickin' amazing.

Perhaps Megan is beseeching the spirits of the ocean to have mercy on their creation and return the sea to a more normal state.

fatness

Postby fatness » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:23 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Perhaps Megan is beseeching the spirits of the ocean to have mercy on their creation and return the sea to a more normal state.

Or maybe she just needs to pee.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:29 am UTC

Quest progress: 243 out of 312 pages.
Recursion. NP 393.

Cueball sits by the liquid, apparently shunned by Megan after presenting his recursive sandcastle. But here in the past, I am anything but alone! The missives continue, as does my journey.
Further glimpses of sigcouragement:
Spoiler:
KarMann wrote:BlitzGirl: My avatar recognizes the hat in your avatar. The future awaits.:

A grand hat-meeting is in the future! Hats have been featuring quite prominently in the past few newpages, both burnt and unburnt.

macraw83 wrote:BlitzGirl,
Do not despair in your pursuit of Time. You are making progress Great accolades come to those who Wait for It.
Since your quest through Time may be the greatest ever taken, the greatest accolades of all may be Waiting for you, as long as you continue to Wait for them.

Sincerely,
macraw83

Perhaps not the greatest ever taken, merely the longest! I Wait as always!

Valarya wrote:BLITZGIRL! We are Waiting for you It.

Color! A happy change from the dozens of black-and-white newpix. And I am overjoyed to be mentioned in the same platitude as It.

histrion wrote:Cheering on Blitzgirl!
tman2nd wrote:YOU CAN MAKE IT BLITZGIRL!!!

I would race down and high-five all of your hands, were I not in a different Time! :D Perhaps some TimeFrame I shall!

Meanwhile, my journey through the thread of time continues, wandering amid posts long past.
Spoiler:
This, from KarMann again, makes me laugh:
KarMann wrote:BTW, my previous avatar rather likes your current avatar:
journal_3-crop-hat.png

8-)

This, from bigcrag92, makes me weep:
bigcrag92 wrote:I wonder how Blitzgirl is doing in her catching up of the forums.

Have another nice signpost. you're nearly at the end... maybe

Those are my experiences of the-future-of-the-past and the-present-of-the-past, and I just recently passed another Signpost, evidence of the-past-of-the-past:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 126 out of 243 pages.
Operation Connect Castle. NP 201.

I have lost track of the newpix I have spent traversing the thread of Time. Newpages flow into newpages, an endless pouring of semen-laced coffee into a glass that will not fill. I exist in a world of perpetual deja vu, for I have seen the present while the posts I read codify a long-ago past. I know Megan will return, in Time. With a trebuchet. Yet the posts I read have not witnessed that epoch, and whisper only of trebuchets in their dreams. Beyond this only lies madness. Perhaps I am already mad.

Either way, it is now time for me to conclude this message-in-a-bottle and proceed deeper into this hopelessly tangled thread.

But why do I suddenly crave pancakes?

I admit, I had not coma'ed for too many newpix before I posted that. I have not again resorted to bluetext. But Time is a tricky thing, so I make no promises for the future.

Onward I go!
*continues racing alongside the thread, arm upraised as if to clap phantom future palms that have not yet been offered in this past, ghostly echoes of Time to come waving from beyond the lines of sigs*
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

htom

Postby htom » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:31 am UTC

AionArap wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
AionArap wrote:
Caswallon wrote:Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv farnxl uvtu svir!

Wow, I tried googling that last sentence just for fun. It had 1 hit, this post in this thread (This was 10 minutes after it was posted).
Damn google, you're fast :P

Hehe, I would be very surprised indeed if that phrase did appear on google aside from this thread. It would mean that someone had to come up with the exact same statement(less likely), and then encrypt it in the exact same way(somewhat more likely).

The main surprise here was: 10 Minutes!!

That is indeed a surprise. Perhaps some of those Waiting for It are from Google?
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:41 am UTC

htom wrote:
AionArap wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
AionArap wrote:
Caswallon wrote:Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv farnxl uvtu svir!

Wow, I tried googling that last sentence just for fun. It had 1 hit, this post in this thread (This was 10 minutes after it was posted).
Damn google, you're fast :P

Hehe, I would be very surprised indeed if that phrase did appear on google aside from this thread. It would mean that someone had to come up with the exact same statement(less likely), and then encrypt it in the exact same way(somewhat more likely).

The main surprise here was: 10 Minutes!!

That is indeed a surprise. Perhaps some of those Waiting for It are from Google?

The weird thing is that the search result shows that there's been 13 authors and only 18 posts!

I think Google posted that result from the past back in page 1 and AionArap just found it at a serendipitous moment.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:42 am UTC

Catching up, as I re-submerge myself into Time, and my good Brothers and Sisters of the Faith, please avert your eyes, lest the following borderline heresy be-spoil your devout Waiting for It.

Tom Ames wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Tom Ames wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:
Tom Ames wrote:It sure would be nice if there was a thread devoted to discussing the meanings and interpretations of the XKCD comic 'Time', perhaps in addition to this thread.

There is a wiki, with a whole page about such things!

The wiki and this thread provide a place to join in clubby, posturing granfalloonery. I'm looking for a forum where people are discussing the comic.

Has anybody found one?

Doesn't sound like you're discussing the comic.
Just sayin'.

That's right. Because that's not what's being discussed here. Which was my point.

So, just to make sure I understand this... Your nose is out of joint because the discussion about a web COMIC is not taken seriously enough????

Perhaps the "meaning and interpretation" of said comic is to smile, laugh, and not take ourselves quite so pompously and self-important? Than, methinks this thread achieves that goal admirably!
Last edited by StratPlayer on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:45 am UTC

azule wrote:
ggh wrote:If "Time" were an elaborate set-up for a terrible pun, what would that pun be?

A clock flies in from the side destroying the whole sand and wood structure thereby enabling recursion. But mostly the time flies pun. :?

Edit: Actually, time flies come in and they consume the sand/baconcaffeinatedsemencancerbabies, as that is what a time fly consumes, and leave when full, which will be at exactly the level the first frame was, and again, start recursion.

Edit2: The situation from Countdown comes to fruition. If it was counting down since January 11, at some sorta rate [unattested comic time], it could very well coincide with Time.

I like it. Especially time flies. :) But I feel like there's got to be a small river connection somehow. But maybe that's because I'm conditioned to hear something like ""Well, there's no plates like chrome for the hollandaise."" or "It's a knick-knack, Patty Whack, give the frog a loan" when someone tells me to wait for it.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:46 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Roia wrote:Therefore, even if the discussion involves how the comic is about green psychic monkeys that grow orchids in their hair, it is discussing the meaning if the comic as that is the meaning I have attributed to the event.

That's what the comic is about? Wow, I totally missed that.

Dang, I thought it was green, psychotic monkey with hairy orchids. So close...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:50 am UTC

Smithers wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Page 229 Addendum:

PhoenixRising wrote:Preserved for BlitzGirl as she gets further in her journey: an ancient sign written in a strange script. If you translate the script, it says "abandon sanity, all ye who enter here. This be the land of strangeness and madness Reckoning."

And the coffee comments are only about to get wilder. You can't begin to realize yet...

macraw83 wrote:
It's not just that Time period that is strange, caffeinatedsemenbabycoffeebacon (or something) still keeps popping up in recent newpix, even over a hundred newpages later...

I alter my earlier statement: I despair at the thought of wandering through endless loops of signposts within signposts, forever reading of caffeinatedsemenbabycoffeebacon (or something).

The Time Thread: Come for an explaination of the comic, stay for the baconcaffeinatedsemencancerbabies!

...On ice!

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:50 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
Jafloi wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:

I second this nomination. Arch-Cardinal buffygirl, sudo make Jafloi a sandwich.

Added: OK, thirded, and rather too late to the party. Nonetheless, none can refuse the sudo!
Last edited by KarMann on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:53 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Gimme that old Time religion,
Gimme that old Time religion,
Gimme that old Time religion,
It's good enough for me!

Th'One True Comic, we adore it,
Ev'ry Timeframe brings us more Writ,
As we rally to: "Wait for it."--
--That's good enough for me.

(chorus)

Spoiler:
Be it Timeframe, Long-, or Newpix,
We will wait our chance to view Pix
Built from grains of ancient comix1,
And that's good enough for me.

(chorus)

Here where neither night nor day run
We watch Queball build with Megan
And await more trebuchet fun
And that's good enough for me.

(chorus)

We proclaim the Knights Temporal
Couched in language rather floral;
With our Mome we'll never quarrel
'Cause she's good enough for we.

(chorus)

Post of each new wall and tower;
Thread length growing by the hour2;
Reach 216
--I'll say, "Good enough for me!"

(chorus)

You may know us by aroma3;
We've no Time for care of soma;
Scarcely bathe and rarely coma
But that's good enough for me.

(chorus)

Waiting for the final chapter
We debate which end is apter:
Rising tide or rav'ning 'raptor?
IT's not good enough for me.4

(chorus)

(With thanks to Eoink and KarMann who inspired me to this.)

1. Soilant Black is pixels! Soilant Black is pixels!
2. Hour: a mythical unit of duration said to correspond roughly to one Longpix; usually used poetically.
3. Clearly this verse refers to some ascetic or even anchorite sect; no self-respecting Knight Temporal would allow himself to become unclean.
4. I was going to make each word in this verse link to a different End-of-Time theory, but I got lazy. Sorry.

Positively Brilliant! Well Done!
Last edited by StratPlayer on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:58 am UTC

Shepherdess wrote:
<snip>

Might I propose to my fellow Temporals that each Knight has xir own leitmotif, to be played while heralding their presence as they ride in on raptorback to defend to One True Comic?

Might I also propose that someone who is more familiar with TVTropes editing, that a TVTropes page about "Time" be created? Either a trope page of the One True Comic--like other religious texts--or a Useful Notes section on the religions that have devoted themselves to Time? The only references to Time I could find on the xkcd page was one measly mention in the Crowning Moment of Awesome page. That just won't do.

Great suggestions!

But, I have no TVTropes editing experience, and I dare not even venture into that pool of Internet quicksand lest I lose WAYYYY too much Time...

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:59 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 243 out of 312 pages.
Recursion. NP 393.

Spoiler:
Cueball sits by the liquid, apparently shunned by Megan after presenting his recursive sandcastle. But here in the past, I am anything but alone! The missives continue, as does my journey.
Further glimpses of sigcouragement:
KarMann wrote:BlitzGirl: My avatar recognizes the hat in your avatar. The future awaits.:

A grand hat-meeting is in the future! Hats have been featuring quite prominently in the past few newpages, both burnt and unburnt.

macraw83 wrote:BlitzGirl,
Do not despair in your pursuit of Time. You are making progress Great accolades come to those who Wait for It.
Since your quest through Time may be the greatest ever taken, the greatest accolades of all may be Waiting for you, as long as you continue to Wait for them.

Sincerely,
macraw83

Perhaps not the greatest ever taken, merely the longest! I Wait as always!

Valarya wrote:BLITZGIRL! We are Waiting for you It.

Color! A happy change from the dozens of black-and-white newpix. And I am overjoyed to be mentioned in the same platitude as It.

I would race down and high-five all of your hands, were I not in a different Time! :D Perhaps some TimeFrame I shall!

*gasp* Reference to Newpix AND Timeframes in the same quote. Might the First Of The True Followers Of Time’s time have just proven that she is, indeed, the Most True Followerer of all, by following ALL the religions? *explode*

BlitzGirl wrote:Meanwhile, my journey through the thread of time continues, wandering amid posts long past.
Spoiler:
This, from KarMann again, makes me laugh:
KarMann wrote:BTW, my previous avatar rather likes your current avatar:
journal_3-crop-hat.png

8-)

This, from bigcrag92, makes me weep:
bigcrag92 wrote:I wonder how Blitzgirl is doing in her catching up of the forums.

Have another nice signpost. you're nearly at the end... maybe

Oh Cardinal bigcrag92.... The hoped-hope turned to mere mocking!! I wanted to weep for you after reading that, Blitzgirl.. but all I could do was laugh!! Haha!
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:59 am UTC

vvn wrote:
AionArap wrote:Welcome.

No, really. I am not a Sandmason, I have never declared myself to be a Sandmason!

Jeez, there's no need to repeat your application, once is enough. However, since you insist, go ahead and send me your money twice.

Kabuthunk wrote:Y'know, the fact that the Cardinal/etc thing has not only gone on this long, but has in and of itself spawned a rival order of Sandmasons is a little bit of awesome, disturbing, and amusing.

The Brotherhood welcomes enthusiasm as yours with open arms*, so just send me your money and you're in.

*As the Grand Master Flush, I'm so enthralled to see this scam Brotherhood is catching on. Rejoice Brethren of the Sand!!!

StratPlayer wrote:
Smithers wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Page 229 Addendum:

PhoenixRising wrote:Preserved for BlitzGirl as she gets further in her journey: an ancient sign written in a strange script. If you translate the script, it says "abandon sanity, all ye who enter here. This be the land of strangeness and madness Reckoning."

And the coffee comments are only about to get wilder. You can't begin to realize yet...

macraw83 wrote:
It's not just that Time period that is strange, caffeinatedsemenbabycoffeebacon (or something) still keeps popping up in recent newpix, even over a hundred newpages later...

I alter my earlier statement: I despair at the thought of wandering through endless loops of signposts within signposts, forever reading of caffeinatedsemenbabycoffeebacon (or something).

The Time Thread: Come for an explaination of the comic, stay for the baconcaffeinatedsemencancerbabies!

...On ice!

Word!...
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:03 am UTC

astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:04 am UTC

If Randall really wanted to do this up to 11, he would have it update at different speeds for users in different locations, like Umwelt, to simulate the relativity of time (say higher latitudes get faster updates and the equator gets slower ones); and there would be multiple different subsequent frames to each frame, to simulate branching nondeterministic time, something like a choose your own adventure story except your adventure is randomly chosen for you (with your current branch of the resulting tree being fixed to your IP, so you don't get different random branches every time you check for updates). And if he really, really wanted to go all out, he could have something like different longitudes track different characters or objects, which interact with each other in the same big world, combining Umwelt and Click And Drag with Time.

Wouldn't that be fun if, say, users in London tracking Alice see her shoot Bob, then when users in Los Angeles tracking Bob catch up to that moment in time, anticipating Bob's imminent death, they see Bob shoot first, while Londoners are busy watching Alice dispose of his body.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:07 am UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:SO i'm back after far too many timeframes away.

Does anyone need any Basalt or Grantie? Goes great with Port....
Is pope Helper still pope?

Pope In Abstentia... and AWOL still...

Although, with her having achieved her second Cardinalship, I believe my suggestion from many NewPages ago to make BlitzGirl the new Po-, er Mome should be taken strongly into consideration.

But then, I'm just a Knight Temporal and not a member of any clergy, so...

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:10 am UTC

ggh wrote:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:
ggh wrote:If "Time" were an elaborate set-up for a terrible pun, what would that pun be?

A clock flies in from the side destroying the whole sand and wood structure thereby enabling recursion. But mostly the time flies pun. :?

Edit: Actually, time flies come in and they consume the sand/baconcaffeinatedsemencancerbabies, as that is what a time fly consumes, and leave when full, which will be at exactly the level the first frame was, and again, start recursion.

Edit2: The situation from Countdown comes to fruition. If it was counting down since January 11, at some sorta rate [unattested comic time], it could very well coincide with Time.

I like it. Especially time flies. :) But I feel like there's got to be a small river connection somehow. But maybe that's because I'm conditioned to hear something like ""Well, there's no plates like chrome for the hollandaise."" or "It's a knick-knack, Patty Whack, give the frog a loan" when someone tells me to wait for it.

The time flies breed in the river. When the river rises (as dialogue alludes to) they come for the Great Feast and then mate (yes, an orgy full of sins) and lay their eggs in the river.

EditG: Gingercat, please view spoiler:
Spoiler:

EditP: Please post this into the Future, where, surprisingly, this does not exist.

Do not view the following, unless you must:

schrodinger-OdeTiTy.png
If you opened this and the cat is alive, you die. If the cat is dead, you live. Congratulations, you're a murderer/dead.
Last edited by azule on Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:39 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:15 am UTC

A thought...

While the Outsider date of "April 1" was long-ago proposed as the End of Time and long-since proven false, another Outsider date of significance now comes to me:

April 15th -- the day US Tax payments are due.

Hmmm... Death and Taxes... Time and Death... The Taxing nature of Time...

Thoughts????

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:22 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:A thought...

While the Outsider date of "April 1" was long-ago proposed as the End of Time and long-since proven false, another Outsider date of significance now comes to me:

Thoughts????

Also the morning the Titanic finished sinking, 101 years ago to the day; killing Jack and leaving Rose floating on a huge, frozen door blowing a whistle.

I miss my whistle.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:23 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:If Randall really wanted to do this up to 11, he would have it update at different speeds for users in different locations, like Umwelt, to simulate the relativity of time (say higher latitudes get faster updates and the equator gets slower ones); and there would be multiple different subsequent frames to each frame, to simulate branching nondeterministic time, something like a choose your own adventure story except your adventure is randomly chosen for you (with your current branch of the resulting tree being fixed to your IP, so you don't get different random branches every time you check for updates). And if he really, really wanted to go all out, he could have something like different longitudes track different characters or objects, which interact with each other in the same big world, combining Umwelt and Click And Drag with Time.

Wouldn't that be fun if, say, users in London tracking Alice see her shoot Bob, then when users in Los Angeles tracking Bob catch up to that moment in time, anticipating Bob's imminent death, they see Bob shoot first, while Londoners are busy watching Alice dispose of his body.

I can't even begin to imagine the chaos confusion clarity this would bring to this thread, fully supported may be putting it somewhat mildly.
That being said, BOB SHOT FIRST!!!

BA-DA-BING!!!

KuwabatakeSanjuro

Postby KuwabatakeSanjuro » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:26 am UTC

Caswallon wrote:
AionArap wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
Caswallon wrote:So currently we have Knights, Cardinals, Bishops, Popes, Anti-Popes, Timewaiters, what else am I missing...

An archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches and an Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy.

Don't forget the great Brotherhood of Sandmasons, founded by myself, The Grand Master Flush, Great Mason of the Masonic Order of Sand.
Now just wait for my newest invention, the Church of Sandology to hit mainstream...

We have Masons now too?

Does that mean that we also have secret Temporal Illuminati pulling strings from behind the scene as well? They must control the Time Pope!

We also have a very quiet and small group of Sand Monks / Sand Druids. Content to simply wait for it, without the machinations and traps the human mind adds to the waiting. Some however choose to remember the transitory nature of all things (especially things made of sand) by the building and destruction of sand mandalas. "Newpix" and "Timeframes" are simply syllables of sound that describe the happening of the true event, and thus we have no great preference to either (they both describe equally well, and equally poorly). All who wish to be one may join, no matter what other groups they may or may not belong to. We welcome all to the journey as we 'wait for it'.
We have seen the Castles / We reject the Outside / We do not Sleep / We watch Time / We wait for it.

We await you, Blitzgirl! Travel on through the messages of the past. We wait for it and we wait for you to join us.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:26 am UTC

cmyk wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:A thought...

Thoughts????

Also the morning the Titanic finished sinking, 101 years ago to the day; killing Jack and leaving Rose floating on a huge, frozen door blowing a whistle.

I miss my whistle.

All fear the Ides of April???

(...and your whistle should have been given back to you when you assumed the role of Knight Temporal. Check the pockets of your Chain Mail...)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”