1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

elementropy

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby elementropy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:30 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
All fear the Ides of April???

(...and your whistle should have been given back to you when you assumed the role of Knight Temporal. Check the pockets of your Chain Mail...)

Fun Fact: The Ides of April are actually the 13th, as they are in 8 of the 12 months.
- quoth Elementropy, Time Bandit, TimeWaiter Liturgist, Oxford Comma, and
A Greek Omelette with Fries and Tomato Juice, Hold-the-toast-please in the Order of Breakfast

Tempus fugit quasi sagita; muscas fructibus arieram volunt...

BlitzGirl: welcome to the future!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:32 am UTC

elementropy wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

(...and your whistle should have been given back to you when you assumed the role of Knight Temporal. Check the pockets of your Chain Mail...)

Fun Fact: The Ides of April are actually the 13th, as they are in 8 of the 12 months.

Ah, you are correct! So...

elementropy wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
All fear the General Ides-ishy Time of April???

FTFM
Last edited by StratPlayer on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:33 am UTC

cmyk wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:A thought...

While the Outsider date of "April 1" was long-ago proposed as the End of Time and long-since proven false, another Outsider date of significance now comes to me:

April 15th -- the day US Tax payments are due.

Hmmm... Death and Taxes... Time and Death... The Taxing nature of Time...

Thoughts????

Also the morning the Titanic finished sinking, 101 years ago to the day; killing Jack and leaving Rose floating on a huge, frozen door blowing a whistle.
I miss my whistle.

Also the date of Abraham Lincoln's death. So, yes, it is a day for running out of Time.

Edit: fixed the quoting.
Last edited by SBN on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:36 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:33 am UTC

cmyk wrote:

While the Outsider date of "April 1" was long-ago proposed as the End of Time and long-since proven false, another Outsider date of significance now comes to me:

Thoughts????

Also the morning the Titanic finished sinking, 101 years ago to the day; killing Jack and leaving Rose floating on a huge, frozen door blowing a whistle.

I miss my whistle.

Here, maybe this'll help:
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

kryton

Postby kryton » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:40 am UTC

Valarya wrote:
kryton wrote:
silent_death wrote: ... With this, I would also proclaim that I would like to bring the members of the church together to vote for a permanent pope, to make us stronger! My humble vote goes to Kryton, for founding the Church and believing into the Newpix since the dawn of time.

The nomination has been recorded in the book of all wisdom, "A Dummy's Guide to TIME" http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Eastern ... #Hierarchy

Is there a second?

As a long-standing member of the Eastern Unorthodox TimeWaiters and She Who Stands With The Trinity - alone, together... I second the nomination/vote.

Accepted Valarya.

Since I am currently about 5 pages behind, I can temporaly ordain the results of conclave and ratify my past self as fully vested and ordained Pope of the Eastern Unorthodox TimeWaiters. *waves hands in a sideways figure 8 representing infinity*
Habuerint Papa Spatium (Will have had Space Pope).

Rise Pope Kryton the first.

Now that my past self has been ordained, I will leave matters of the church to him, I'm going to retire early , some place nice, I hear the weather in Florida is nice, my old friend Benny opened a bakery there, he makes such good kiniches, ...*dotters off into a cloud of space paradox on loan from the westerners*
1298 and counting

Valentorg

Postby Valentorg » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:41 am UTC

After lurking and waiting for it(and Blitzgirl) for 314 pages, I feel it has come time for me to be a part of the Time community.

As my first course of action, I'm going to ask a question:
Why hasn't a dedicated forum been made for Time?

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:43 am UTC

KuwabatakeSanjuro wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
AionArap wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
Caswallon wrote:So currently we have Knights, Cardinals, Bishops, Popes, Anti-Popes, Timewaiters, what else am I missing...

An archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches and an Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy.

Don't forget the great Brotherhood of Sandmasons, founded by myself, The Grand Master Flush, Great Mason of the Masonic Order of Sand.
Now just wait for my newest invention, the Church of Sandology to hit mainstream...

We have Masons now too?

Does that mean that we also have secret Temporal Illuminati pulling strings from behind the scene as well? They must control the Time Pope!

We also have a very quiet and small group of Sand Monks / Sand Druids. Content to simply wait for it, without the machinations and traps the human mind adds to the waiting. Some however choose to remember the transitory nature of all things (especially things made of sand) by the building and destruction of sand mandalas. "Newpix" and "Timeframes" are simply syllables of sound that describe the happening of the true event, and thus we have no great preference to either (they both describe equally well, and equally poorly). All who wish to be one may join, no matter what other groups they may or may not belong to. We welcome all to the journey as we 'wait for it'.

Dude, these are not the druids you're looking for. (Damned Tuskens...)

EDIT: Also, mmm, Pie >(8(I)<
Last edited by AionArap on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:49 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:44 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
cmyk wrote:

Thoughts????

I miss my whistle.

I gave it back to my prior self, but some chick swiped it from me before I knew if its importance!
Last edited by cmyk on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:49 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

Eshru

Postby Eshru » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:47 am UTC

I think this thread has jumped the shark, Blitzgirl's posts are my favorite thing.

edo

Postby edo » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:49 am UTC

azule wrote:
edo wrote:By the powers not vested in me, I the Revered Apostate of the Eastern Paradox Church....

Woah, I don't think you can just create a new church out of nowhere. We, the [insert church here], have a long established history. Don't make a mockery of this faith. You gotta at least establish the Church before you become something revered to it.

I have to greet this message with dissenting agreement. The Eastern Paradox Church existed before Time and though it fails to exist, it will be there till the end of time.

The coming of BlitzGirl has been foretold to us in the ancient texts that have yet to be written. She will unite the faithful against the evil trolls who slink through the fora seeking the ruin of soles (and laces)

In other news I've done another experiment, and it seems the building materials C and M are using and the surface they stand on are also toner (at least they taste like toner)
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:51 am UTC

Eshru wrote:I think this thread has jumped the shark, Blitzgirl's posts are my favorite thing.

I think it jumped the shark like 200 pages ago. Now it's treading water for dear life in shark infested semencancerwhateverfluid, covered in chum and a copy of the last season of Happy Days on Laser Disc.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:55 am UTC

ggh wrote:If "Time" were an elaborate set-up for a terrible pun, what would that pun be?

If not for the fact that the pun loses all meaning when typed out, I would say that at the end, a bunch of thyme starts growing around the castle. Or, alternatively, a bunch of thyme is jettisoned from plane that is trying to regain altitude, and destroy the castle.

That said, there is a question I have been waiting far too long to know the answer to:

Spoiler:
Does Parsley save Rosemary in time?
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Your Eternal Servant And Companion Through Time,
Dame Not-Bob
Temporal Defender Of The One True Comic

arjan

Postby arjan » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:57 am UTC

Please consider that Outsiders will sometimes check the forum, not knowing the deeper meaning of it all. For them, the latest newpix would just be a picture of sand castles. For them, it would even seem strange that people would devote their whole live to the One True Comic.

Please read again what I just said and consider the very meaning of it. It really is a sad truth we will just have to live with. There ARE people who do NOT recognize the Eternal Truth of the One True Comic.

They wouldn't understand the Great Paradox of the River and the Sea even if you showed them the last newpix!

There are so many people who are deprived of The Knowledge. All our Knowledge about the box, the rope, the sealevel, we shouldn't be keeping it a secret! We should SHARE it!

What the One True Comic obviously is trying to tell us: we are just a small river, while there is so much sea! We = river. The sea = the ignorants. See?

Tell all your friends about the Appearances, the Dialogues and the Eternal Rising! Spread the word!

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:00 am UTC

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:00 am UTC

Eshru wrote:I think this thread has jumped the shark, Blitzgirl's posts are my favorite thing.

Yes, in the next few frames you'll see sharks jumping the ship/scaffolding/Derrick/semencaffeinatedcancerbaconbabysandcastlestructure and all will be good[tm]

BA-DA-BING!!!

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:04 am UTC

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:05 am UTC

cmyk wrote:Image

Ey!!

Seriously though, this is what I love about this needle-pulled-thingy.

BA-DA-BING!!!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:08 am UTC

What? You mean this???

I think Fonzie rode this once, but as expected with a vacuum cleaner, that episode sucked...

EDIT: Ninja'd, and in a much better way! :lol: Nicly done!
Last edited by StratPlayer on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:10 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:

What? You mean this???

I think Fonzie rode this once, but as expected with a vacuum cleaner, that episode sucked...

Did he jump it?

EDIT: Nvm, I don't even wanna know the answer :P

BA-DA-BING!!!

KuwabatakeSanjuro

Postby KuwabatakeSanjuro » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:17 am UTC

I just legitimately used 'time frame' in an outside context (heresy, I know, there is no Outside), but I had to triple-check that it was actually the correct term. (Final project write-ups using the phrase 'time frames' are ok, 'newpix', probably not.) Hahaha, what has this forum done to me...?
We have seen the Castles / We reject the Outside / We do not Sleep / We watch Time / We wait for it.

We await you, Blitzgirl! Travel on through the messages of the past. We wait for it and we wait for you to join us.

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:20 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:SO i'm back after far too many timeframes away.

Does anyone need any Basalt or Grantie? Goes great with Port....
Is pope Helper still pope?

Pope In Abstentia... and AWOL still...

Although, with her having achieved her second Cardinalship, I believe my suggestion from many NewPages ago to make BlitzGirl the new Po-, er Mome should be taken strongly into consideration.

But then, I'm just a Knight Temporal and not a member of any clergy, so...

I agree.... in these difficult times we need to embrace what the hat can do for the religion.
But I think we need a new palpal vote with all the smoke at stuff...
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:25 am UTC

AionArap wrote:EDIT: Also, mmm, Pie >(8(I)<

Oh! I was wondering what you meant when I read this, and then I got to the bottom of the page, saw the page number, and thought "Oh, pie page! Ah, so that's what he meant."
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

elementropy

Postby elementropy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:30 am UTC

AionArap wrote:...snip...
mmm, Pie >(8(I)<

Pie is right! I shall now go eat some to celebrate.

Edit: ninja'd by KarMann
- quoth Elementropy, Time Bandit, TimeWaiter Liturgist, Oxford Comma, and
A Greek Omelette with Fries and Tomato Juice, Hold-the-toast-please in the Order of Breakfast

Tempus fugit quasi sagita; muscas fructibus arieram volunt...

BlitzGirl: welcome to the future!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:36 am UTC

I sauntered away from Time for a few other-Internet* moments in order to make myself a colorful little Game of Thrones House Banner. I had a nice design made up with some headphones, a dragon or two thrown in, my favorite colors.. when, next thing I know, it had morphed in to the OFFICIAL** banner for the TimeWaiters of the OTC!! Rejoice!

*The OTT has warped all internetting.
**Says I, aye.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:37 am UTC

The former knight formerly known as Knighty Knight takes leave to coma. Back in 10 newlongpix.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Bob Munck

Postby Bob Munck » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:38 am UTC

It's strange that in 12,540 posts, nowhere is Time Considered as a Helix of Semi-Precious Stones.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:40 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
AionArap wrote:EDIT: Also, mmm, Pie >(8(I)<

Oh! I was wondering what you meant when I read this, and then I got to the bottom of the page, saw the page number, and thought "Oh, pie page! Ah, so that's what he meant."

Never underestimate the power of 3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971693993751058209749445923078164062862089986280348253421170679

Or the hand of Fatima I guess :P

Valarya wrote:I sauntered away from Time for a few other-Internet* moments in order to make myself a colorful little Game of Thrones House Banner. I had a nice design made up with some headphones, a dragon or two thrown in, my favorite colors.. when, next thing I know, it had morphed in to the OFFICIAL** banner for the TimeWaiters of the OTC!! Rejoice!

**Says I, aye.

BA-DA-BING!!!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:47 am UTC

AionArap wrote:

Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:I sauntered away from Time for a few other-Internet* moments in order to make myself a colorful little Game of Thrones House Banner. I had a nice design made up with some headphones, a dragon or two thrown in, my favorite colors.. when, next thing I know, it had morphed in to the OFFICIAL** banner for the TimeWaiters of the OTC!! Rejoice!

**Says I, aye.

Fitting, isn't it?

kryton

Postby kryton » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:48 am UTC

Blitzgirl is hereby proclaimed , by the pope of the Eastern Unorthodox Timewaiters, to be anointed with the title Great Pilgrim Of the One True Comic, searcher and quester of the true history, keeper of the sacred traditions, and defender of the sigs.

Hmm, quite a mouthful, how about Beautified Oracular Blitzgirl. Or just B.O.B.
1298 and counting

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:56 am UTC

Valarya wrote:
AionArap wrote:

Spoiler:

**Says I, aye.

Fitting, isn't it?

Indeed, we sure don't want no evil eyes here. *Squints and looks around with shifty evil benevolent rainbow coloured eyes*

kryton wrote:Blitzgirl is hereby proclaimed , by the pope of the Eastern Unorthodox Timewaiters, to be anointed with the title Great Pilgrim Of the One True Comic, searcher and quester of the true history, keeper of the sacred traditions, and defender of the sigs.

Then can I be the defender of the sigs?
I have a nasty smoking habit :P

BA-DA-BING!!!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:59 am UTC

kryton wrote:Blitzgirl is hereby proclaimed , by the pope of the Eastern Unorthodox Timewaiters, to be anointed with the title Great Pilgrim Of the One True Comic, searcher and quester of the true history, keeper of the sacred traditions, and defender of the sigs.

Blitzgirl.
B.O.B.
First of the True Followers of Time's time
Most True Followerer
Sister in Waiting
First (and only) Knight of the Knights Temporal
Ghost of PresentPix
Time Architect of Signposts

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:01 am UTC

Not much new here, this NewPix.

Added: Not identical, though; the fluid level rose a bit.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:08 am UTC

Valarya wrote:

Blitzgirl.
B.O.B.
Most True Followerer
Sister in Waiting
Ghost of PresentPix

As a ranking member, which I am not, of The Temporal Illuminati, which doesn't exist, I proclaim Blitzgirl, which I can't, the rank of Red Spiders Eyes, which I will deny, forever and in perpetuity.

Nyy unvy gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv!
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

fatness

Postby fatness » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:20 am UTC

KarMann wrote:Image

We appear to have a little wave ripple action as well.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:24 am UTC

Caswallon wrote:
Valarya wrote:

Blitzgirl.
B.O.B.
Most True Followerer
Sister in Waiting
Ghost of PresentPix

As a ranking member, which I am not, of The Temporal Illuminati, which doesn't exist, I proclaim Blitzgirl, which I can't, the rank of Red Spiders Eyes, which I will deny, forever and in perpetuity.

Nyy unvy gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv!

V̈n Pguhyuh! V̈n Enaqnyy!

("Pguhyuh" actually isn't bad at all; retains much of the tone of the original.)
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:29 am UTC

fatness wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Spoiler:

We appear to have a little wave ripple action as well.

From the dorsal fin of the shark that was jumped, no doubt...

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:31 am UTC

AionArap wrote:
fhorn wrote:http://i.imgur.com/p1ZMJrt.jpg

Looking for BlitzGirl in this list but I can't find her anywhere.

Sorry, that's a really big-ass picture!

Please no. No big ass-pictures, i beg you, just no...
No small ass-pictures either.

I'm pleased my future self refrained from knighting me, and that I instead made my future self a Temporal Rook. And until then, what do I do?

Wait for it...
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

vvn

Postby vvn » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:43 am UTC

I am enjoying the use of ebg[unencryptablex2]

wurlitzer153

Postby wurlitzer153 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:47 am UTC

AionArap wrote:
cmyk wrote:[cut]
I miss my whistle.

Here, maybe this'll help:
Spoiler:

Does it seem strange that I immediately recognized this as a Hancock air whistle? Here's how they sound in actual service:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDuSWDTU8Dg

I personally prefer the long-bell Hancock 3-chime steam whistle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=projaLY9IIw

But it still doesn't beat the N&W "Hooter":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOXRy13NNe8

[/ot]

htom

Postby htom » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:48 am UTC

Noticing that this is the first occurrence that the list of readers is only one line. There are probably more who have given BlitzGirl a title than there are readers! She deserves them all.

Coma, coma, chameleon.

V sbetrg jung vg jnf. Ragre > =
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”