1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

elementropy

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby elementropy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:(snip)

Hmmmm, not sure about this proposed branching out into modes of food delivery other than that of the Sandwich... although an omlette is rather like a sandwich, and I certainly love Greek omlettes. But an omlette is not CALLED a sandwich, and the name of the omlette is breakfast, although the name is called food, bearing in mind, of course, that the omlette is egg.

I must think on this.

I would be honoured with any title, but I must admit that as a coeliac, I'm nervous about the uncertainty of whether becoming a sandwich would cure that annoying wrinkle in my diet, or spin me into the eternal torment of being allergic to myself. Thus my less-orthodox request.

(so no pressure.)
- quoth Elementropy, Time Bandit, TimeWaiter Liturgist, Oxford Comma, and
A Greek Omelette with Fries and Tomato Juice, Hold-the-toast-please in the Order of Breakfast

Tempus fugit quasi sagita; muscas fructibus arieram volunt...

BlitzGirl: welcome to the future!

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

elementropy wrote:

Hmmmm, not sure about this proposed branching out into modes of food delivery other than that of the Sandwich... although an omlette is rather like a sandwich, and I certainly love Greek omlettes. But an omlette is not CALLED a sandwich, and the name of the omlette is breakfast, although the name is called food, bearing in mind, of course, that the omlette is egg.

I must think on this.

I would be honoured with any title, but I must admit that as a coeliac, I'm nervous about the uncertainty of whether becoming a sandwich would cure that annoying wrinkle in my diet, or spin me into the eternal torment of being allergic to myself. Thus my less-orthodox request.

(so no pressure.)

How about gluten-free bread?

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

He's going for more ..
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

He's bringing up sand to make the sandcastle on the wooden porch.
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Your Eternal Servant And Companion Through Time,
Dame Not-Bob
Temporal Defender Of The One True Comic

elementropy

Postby elementropy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:11 pm UTC

If it's peanut-butter and jelly on Udi's, you've got yourself a deal. I've tasted some pretty terrible gluten-free breads in my time.

Shepherdess wrote:He's bringing up sand to make the sandcastle on the wooden porch.

Or perhaps a bucket of sandwiches?
A Greek Omelette with Fries and Tomato Juice, Hold-the-toast-please in the Order of Breakfast

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

elementropy wrote:

If it's peanut-butter and jelly on Udi's, you've got yourself a deal. I've tasted some pretty terrible gluten-free breads in my time.

Shepherdess wrote:He's bringing up sand to make the sandcastle on the wooden porch.

Eurgh. I can't stand Udi's. Love Glutino's whole grain, though.
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Dame Not-Bob

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

Hermesdfo wrote:Around the same time Time (haha) showed up, I was reading a book (Pattern Recognition, by William Gibson) and a part of it takes place in a forum. It was almost scary to read about us, Initiates Of Time, in physical pages. Also, has anyone thought of Apophenia? I didn't even knew a word existed for our behaviour!!!

Of course. This whole needle-pulling thing is but a bucket of over-flowing pattern-creating aprophenia, in recursive patterns of semensandcancerbabywatercoffeetonerpixelices, endlessly curving in on themselves.

It's only appropriate. So I'd call it more like appropriphena.

But the real tricky part is getting your mind around the concept of this thread as "physical" pages...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:
elementropy wrote:

Uhhhhh ... what are Udi's?

htom

Postby htom » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

elementropy wrote:

You have my sympathy with the gluten-free bread problem. I bake bread at home, and because I have family and friends who need it, I have tried for years to find good recipes for gluten-free breads (and cakes), with little success. "Pretty terrible" is gentler than my frequent description, "horrid inedible mess."
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:23 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:
elementropy wrote:

Udi's and Glutino are brands of gluten-free breads. Well, I know Glutino makes a lot of gluten-free products, not sure if Udi's makes anything else.

Oh! I've had Udi's blueberry muffins, but they were horribly sweet to the point of being inedible. Unfortunately, that's a problem with GF foods. To compensate for the lack of taste, they overload it with sugar. I thought Celiac would cause me to lose weight, but for a year as I was chowing down on rice flour macaroni and what have you until I caught on, I gained quite a lot of weight that I still haven't managed to shed.
Dear Blitzgirl,

Dame Not-Bob

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 247 out of 315 pages.
Recursion. NP 403.

Angelastic wrote:Message for BlitzGirl: If you add a note from yourself in your signature knighting yourself as a Knight Temporal, post to the present, then read the sig back in the past, you will officially become a Knight Temporal (knighted by your beknighted future self, for only a knight can knight a knight.)

Very well. I, BlitzGirl, Knight Temporal of the One True Comic, bestow upon thee, BlitzGirl, traverser of the thread of Time, the Knighthood Temporal, in recognition of true pilgrimage, perseverance, and pride in Time. Arise, and continue on thy Quest! Many newpages await thee still

I pledge to continue on my journey, my brothers and sisters in Time, and I hope you will make it an interesting path to travel.

All Hail Sir/Dame* BlitzGirl, First of the Knights Temporal! We, your fellow Knights, salute you, oh Most Regal Reader of Time!!!!

*BlitzGirl's preference titular** statement pending...
** Heh heh... He said "titular"...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

elementropy

Postby elementropy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:Eurgh. I can't stand Udi's. Love Glutino's whole grain, though.

Udi's and Glutino are brands of gluten-free breads. Well, I know Glutino makes a lot of gluten-free products, not sure if Udi's makes anything else.

Oh! I've had Udi's blueberry muffins, but they were horribly sweet to the point of being inedible. Unfortunately, that's a problem with GF foods. To compensate for the lack of taste, they overload it with sugar. I thought Celiac would cause me to lose weight, but for a year as I was chowing down on rice flour macaroni and what have you until I caught on, I gained quite a lot of weight that I still haven't managed to shed.

I like using Udi's gluten-free whole grain for sandwiches, (although it's best grilled) and will eat the cinnamon raisin any way/shape/form. Glutino bread is not easily found in my town, although some of their other products are.
I mostly cook from scratch, so I usually don't overload myself with processed "compensators"--but bread is something I haven't re-taught myself to make well, now that I can't use wheat. (I used to make fantastic pizza and bread)
Last edited by elementropy on Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Recursion. NP 403.

Angelastic wrote:Message for BlitzGirl: If you add a note from yourself in your signature knighting yourself as a Knight Temporal, post to the present, then read the sig back in the past, you will officially become a Knight Temporal (knighted by your beknighted future self, for only a knight can knight a knight.)

Very well. I, BlitzGirl, Knight Temporal of the One True Comic, bestow upon thee, BlitzGirl, traverser of the thread of Time, the Knighthood Temporal, in recognition of true pilgrimage, perseverance, and pride in Time. Arise, and continue on thy Quest! Many newpages await thee still

I pledge to continue on my journey, my brothers and sisters in Time, and I hope you will make it an interesting path to travel.

All Hail Sir/Dame* BlitzGirl, First of the Knights Temporal! We, your fellow Knights, salute you, oh Most Regal Reader of Time!!!!

All Hail BlitzGirl!

The River is small!
Dear Blitzgirl,

Dame Not-Bob

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:
elementropy wrote:

Udi's and Glutino are brands of gluten-free breads

Huh... I thought they were Israeli automatic weapons...

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Recursion. NP 403.

All Hail BlitzGirl!

The River is small!

The SEA is Big!!!

EDITED for correctness. D'oh!!!

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:34 pm UTC

Correct what, Sir Vincent? *I* certainly didn't see any faux pas made. *cough*
Dear Blitzgirl,

Dame Not-Bob

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:38 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:Correct what, Sir Vincent? *I* certainly didn't see any faux pas made. *cough*

Why, of course not Dame Not-Bob. Sometimes it's good just to preemptively edit to correct potential future faux pas'esses. One can never be too sure, Time being the powerful thing that it is...

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:39 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Recursion. NP 403.

All Hail BlitzGirl!

The River is small!

The Sea is big!!!
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

elementropy wrote:
Spoiler:

I must think on this.

(so no pressure.)

I, Arch-Cardinal BuffyGirl, have thought long and hard1 upon your request, elementropy, and in my infinite fairness and goodness, I have decided to grant your request. But be it known to all that I do not make this exception lightly, and only due to medical necessity do I do so.

Thus I, Timewaiter Arch-Cardinal Buffygirl, She who Rises From The Flames Like A Phoenix To Continue With Her Pursuit of Hat Perfection, do hereby make you, Elementropy, A Greek Omelette with Fries and Tomato Juice, Hold-the-toast-please in the Order of Breakfast. *poof* May your future be bright and full of yummy breakfasts.

1 heh heh, she said hard

ninja-edited several times cuz I didn't like my phrasing
Last edited by buffygirl on Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

kryton

Postby kryton » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

River Song
River Phoenix
The Perl is in The river.
1298 and counting

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

Tom Ames wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:So, just to make sure I understand this... Your nose is out of joint because the discussion about a web COMIC is not taken seriously enough????

Quoted EDITED to re-add the relevant part you removed (even though I misused "than" instead of the correct "then":

Perhaps the "meaning and interpretation" of said comic is to smile, laugh, and not take ourselves quite so pompously and self-important? Than, methinks this thread achieves that goal admirably!

That's right, though inelegantly stated.

It's an individual choice as to what they decide to get their nose out of joint* over... It can also be that individual's choice to lax, re-lax, and then perhaps help to improve things by offering contributions of the type they might consider more on-topic, insightful, and beneficial to all. Add whatever discussion you might care to find here. It's more than welcome. Join us!

*Or "panties in a knot", "burr under their saddle", "bee in their bonnet" or whatever other inelegant euphemism you might prefer...

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

kryton wrote:River Song
River Phoenix

I think we decided manu NewPages ago that River Tam was the correct one, didn't we?

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

histrion

Postby histrion » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

River Phoenix

The only water in the One True Comic is the river.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
River Phoenix

I think we decided manu NewPages ago that River Tam was the correct one, didn't we?

Any other River is blasphemy.
Dear Blitzgirl,

Dame Not-Bob

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
River Phoenix

What is in the sea?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:
partingLance wrote:manvandmaan, are you sure you wouldn't be happier in the Western Paradox Church? You're definitely working our corner. Which, of course, and contrary to all expectations including our own, we officially support, and unofficially condemn.

We, the Sandmasons/nobody in particular, are not a religious organization and also therefore our members/People who we do not know can join any other religion that exist/does not exist.

How is one initiated in the Western Paradox Church?

Well, in what one might call the Pioneering Period, when it was by way of being the Wild-Western Church, one could be uninitiated simply by denying that one had any interest whatsoever in being a member...

manvandmaan wrote:
vvn wrote:
AionArap wrote:Welcome.

Now send me all your money.

No, really. I am not a Sandmason, I have never declared myself to be a Sandmason!

Spoken like a true Sandmason! Welcome!

... rather like a certain secular organization I could name. Then, for a time, the Church applied a more rigorous standard, and one had to produce a paradox of some originality.

But lately, there have been disturbing developments...

Flado wrote:Citing old age, the Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church resigns his post and intends to stop trying to come up with contradictions.

edo wrote:By the powers not vested in me, I the Revered Apostate of the Eastern Paradox Church, trebuchet BlitzGirl sole cardinal of the Eastern Paradox faith, until such time that she reads this post. The Eastern Paradox Cardinals must at such time choose from amongst these cardinals, a new Patriarch by unanimous vote.

(emphasis added)

... which suggest to me that the Church of yore, indeed of my youth in the West that is forgotten, may have passed rapidly through its Establishment, and into its Decadent or Declining Phase. Sic transit gloria ecclesia1, I suppose, and perhaps it's time I put away childish things. But I'll not join the Sandmasons, nossir, not if threatened with a beach-bucket and plastic shovel2.

1. Anyone knowledgeable in barbaric Outside languages may correct my "Latin" at will.
2. How about it? Would a non-application in this form fail to disqualify me for un-, or perhaps dis-membership? Please to note, I can also raise and send along twice3 the money I currently possess.
3. Recalling of course that 2x0=0.

Welcome to the Brotherhood good sir, now send me all your future money (before tax).
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

elementropy

Postby elementropy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:I, Arch-Cardinal BuffyGirl, have thought long and hard1 upon your request, elementropy, and in my infinite fairness and goodness, I have decided to grant your request. But be it known to all that I do not make this exception lightly, and only due to medical necessity do I do so.

Thus I, Timewaiter Arch-Cardinal Buffygirl, She who Rises From The Flames Like A Phoenix To Continue With Her Pursuit of Hat Perfection, do hereby make you, Elementropy, A Greek Omelette with Fries and Tomato Juice, Hold-the-toast-please in the Order of Breakfast. *poof* May your future be bright and full of yummy breakfasts.

1 heh heh, she said hard

ninja-edited several times cuz I didn't like my phrasing

Thank you, O She-who-thinks-long-and-hard, for making me Breakfast.
You clearly belong among the ranks of those saintly folk who, on many occasions, have disregarded their restaurants' clearly stated policies by serving me egg-based dishes after 11:00 am.
I shall savour the honour of your neighbourly valour, this day and in the futoure.2

2 clearly houw that spelling roule is suppoused to wourk.
Last edited by elementropy on Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:14 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

histrion

Postby histrion » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
histrion wrote:
River Phoenix

What is in the sea?

A lot of pointers.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

If river is River, then who is Sea?

kryton

Postby kryton » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
histrion wrote:
River Phoenix
River Tam.

What is in the sea?

Whale Poop
1298 and counting

mexaboy

Postby mexaboy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

Hermesdfo wrote:Around the same time Time (haha) showed up, I was reading a book (Pattern Recognition, by William Gibson) and a part of it takes place in a forum. It was almost scary to read about us, Initiates Of Time, in physical pages. Also, has anyone thought of Apophenia? I didn't even knew a word existed for our behaviour!!!

Someone should find a clever way to mention this comic and forum in the apophenia wikipedia page.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:If river is River, then who is Sea?

We'll just have to Wait and Sea.
Dear Blitzgirl,

Dame Not-Bob

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
elementropy wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
Also, please let me know if there are any ordinations or convocations or ratifications that have been requested of me that I missed. Hat orders are also being accepted, and will be fulfilled in whatever order I feel like.

Is there a form to fill out? Or a check-sheet like ordering sushi?

No. You must provide basic information such as color and general mood/style, so that I may ignore it and create something of my own design.

Elementropy, A Greek Omelette with Fries and Tomato Juice, Hold-the-toast-please in the Order of Breakfast, did you indeed have a hat request?

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

Spoiler:
spamjam wrote:Image

Is he decrenneling now? At this point I'm going to have to agree with the theory that M&C's plan is to raise the sandsemencoffeecaffinatedbabycancericepixeltoner-castle* to the platform in order to protect it from the rising tide of Time.

I had still been leaning towards the loopist school, thinking that the rising liquid-to-be-determined would wash everything away and then recede. Afterwards, M & C would come down from their platform, dis-assemble it, and then have a sit down on the once-again empty beach (return to TimeFrame 1).

*Long-missed punchline I just thought of that would have applied mega-NewPages ago: "Semen in the sand? Then it must be Castle Cumalot..."

elementropy

Postby elementropy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:If river is River, then who is Sea?

An old man.

I wish to be dazzled by the creativity of the Exalted Haberdasher when challenged to produce a hat worthy of wearing to brunch.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:

Is he decrenneling now? At this point I'm going to have to agree with the theory that M&C's plan is to raise the sandsemencoffeecaffinatedbabycancericepixeltoner-castle* to the platform in order to protect it from the rising tide of Time.

I had still been leaning towards the loopist school, thinking that the rising liquid-to-be-determined would wash everything away and then recede. Afterwards, M & C would come down from their platform, dis-assemble it, and then have a sit down on the once-again empty beach (return to TimeFrame 1).
[/size]

And it will all start over?
Dear Blitzgirl,

Dame Not-Bob

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
histrion wrote:
River Phoenix

What is in the sea?

Sementedcafinatedcancerbabycofeeice of course.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:

[/size]

And it will all start over?

Loopists predict that the One True Comic will recycle back to its starting point in some way, creating an Endless Loop.

Others believe it will end at some finite, specific, NewPix, perhaps with the long-awaited punchline.

Still others believe that it will continue endlessly with no recurring pattern.

Finally, there are those who predict an End of Time with no specific payoff, either through some form of comic entropy, termination of servers, or the loss of Lord Randall in some fashion.

No one knows for sure. All we can do is Wait for it.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”