1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

kryton

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kryton » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:40 am UTC

What do you call a bass player that broke up with his girlfriend ?
Homeless.
1298 and counting

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:40 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
cmyk wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
fhorn wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I have emerged briefly from toiling in the dark depths of the pit*
Spoiler:
to find I am 7 pages behind. Or 8, I lost count. Frantic reading has only gotten me two pages ahead. Makes me fear for Blitzgirl's ever reaching the end...but I am left with some burning questions:

Who are Alice and Bob, and why are they shooting each other?

When did we get an Eastern Paradox Church? As Transcendental Imaginator or the Western Paradox Church I am concerned about this development, mainly because it makes it SO hard to keep track...

And a larger question, something I've been pondering for a while now: When Lord Randall started the OTC, did he have this story all worked out? Or is it evolving and developing as Time progressing? Not that I want to start a creationism vs evolution discussion. Or do I?

I return now to the pit to labor further, but hope to return and perhaps join you all in the future present. Or is it the present future?

*orchestra pit, but still

Orchestra joke: What's the difference between an onion and a viola?
Spoiler:
Nobody cries when you chop up a viola.
(My wife played viola, so I'm permitted to say this.)

What's the difference between an orchestra and a bull?
Spoiler:
One's got the horns in the front and the asshole in the back.

What is the difference between a violin section and a car roughing rough?
Spoiler:
You can tune the car.

How do you get a guitarist off your porch?
Spoiler:
Pay him for the pizza.

What's the difference between Eric Clapton and Les Paul?

Spoiler:
Les Paul is dead.

(I hope StratPlayer appreciates that one)

I'm from Les Paul's hometown originally, so I appreciate that one too, in my own way.

God rest his genius soul.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:40 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Latent22 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:I shall wear it proudly.
EDIT: I have an entire folder on my desktop devoted to pictures from this thread. Is that normal?

Only having one folder is not normal!

Well, I think I can redeem myself by disclosing that the attached image (I forget the original poster, but thank you, whoever you are) is my Facebook cover photo.

Well, if we're disclosing/confessing . . . I used the Time Catapult illustration for mine, slightly twerked & edited for optimal fit. And my former avatar here, the "I like my hat" from Journal 3, is still my avatar there. Heck, might as well link: https://www.facebook.com/jrandyowens

My profile image was, at one point, the archer-holding-boomerang from http://xkcd.com/939/
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

kryton

Postby kryton » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:55 am UTC

Will Cueball get more dandruffsemencaffinecancerbabbybaconcoffeewithasideofglutenfreetoast or start sculpting castles?
1298 and counting

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:00 am UTC

Asthanius wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
Asthanius wrote:Hold on. What if we shouldn't be revering Time, but It? After all, we are supposed to Wait for it. What if that means that we are to wait not until It happens, but because of It? I do not know what It is, but is this not understandable? To know what It is would be to remove all meaning from the phrase Wait for it.

I apologize if this is seen as heresy and accept any and all punishment, but please, consider my words.

Indeed, it is heresy. And yet, your words will be considered. The Great BuffyGirl has been feeling Generous Today.

Praise be unto You, and upon all iterations of You throughout Time. I give thanks to those who not only spread Generosity, but also appreciate a nice hat when they see one, because seriously; hats are cool.

Does BuffyGirl have a 2015 McFly Hat yet* ?
As a Timewaiter, such a hat should be mandatory :)

* I mean in the present, (which is now the past) there should be no doubt that she has one in the future.

<edit> Sorry, didn't mean to post this twice - but it's still a good question. </edit>
BlitzGirl, your perseverance is truly inspiring. Never Give Up! Never Surrender!!
Last edited by StormAngel on Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:59 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

histrion

Postby histrion » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:01 am UTC

BONG...

histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

edo

Postby edo » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:04 am UTC

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/586ce9 ... d5fac9.png
DonG
RE-Ninja'd

Lo! Behold!For the Writing of The Ancient Texts has begun! A prophesy fulfilled! A paradox resolved! It is through Her that it is done!
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:18 am UTC

Okay, YANTOTEE*.
Ebonite wrote:I went back and re-watched them build the structure at the top of the platform. It appears to me that it may not necessarily be attached to the platform, but merely resting on top of it.

I myself wrote:So why, with such a carefully planned structure, is there no staircase? ... I was simply trying to think of a reason why their plan didn't include an easier way to get up and down than a single shaky ladder.

And now Cueball is carrying loads of sand up to the railing.

Combine these three points: A railed platform resting loose, no permanent staircase, and loads of sand. All that's missing are some canvas bags (maybe in the bottom of the original tool bukkit, still sitting up there) to hold ballast.

Clearly, at some point in the distant future, they will inflate a large cloth envelope and reveal that the platform is the gondola of a helium balloon**. They will drift away into the sky, leaving their castle (and a few poles) to be washed away by the tide. Then Time will Loop. I wonder where they'll float next.
Spoiler:
(Right back here, obviously.)

*Yet another new Theory of Time's Eventual Ending (though, as a Loopist, I use "ending" loosely)
**Do hot-air balloons use disposable ballast?
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:23 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Okay, YANTOTEE*.
Ebonite wrote:I went back and re-watched them build the structure at the top of the platform. It appears to me that it may not necessarily be attached to the platform, but merely resting on top of it.

I myself wrote:So why, with such a carefully planned structure, is there no staircase? ... I was simply trying to think of a reason why their plan didn't include an easier way to get up and down than a single shaky ladder.

Combine these three points: A railed platform resting loose, no permanent staircase, and loads of sand. All that's missing are some canvas bags (maybe in the bottom of the original tool bukkit, still sitting up there) to hold ballast.

Clearly, at some point in the distant future, they will inflate a large cloth envelope and reveal that the platform is the gondola of a helium balloon**. They will drift away into the sky, leaving their castle (and a few poles) to be washed away by the tide. Then Time will Loop. I wonder where they'll float next.
Spoiler:

*Yet another new Theory of Time's Eventual Ending (though, as a Loopist, I use "ending" loosely)
**Do hot-air balloons use disposable ballast?

They'll have to watch out for spiders.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:28 am UTC

elementropy wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
elementropy wrote:
Spoiler:
buffygirl wrote:
elementropy wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Elementropy, Time Bandit, TimeWaiter Liturgist, Oxford Comma, and A Greek Omelette with Fries and Tomato Juice, Hold-the-toast-please in the Order of Breakfast, I, Timewaiter Arch-Cardinal Buffygirl, She who Rises From The Flames Like A Phoenix To Continue With Her Pursuit of Hat Perfection, do hereby present you with your hat.

derbyHat-egg-smlr.jpg

Wear it well.

By Randall of the One True Comic ...it's full of stars...

FTFY

Erm ... well, I think those are actually vines/leaves but ..... Wait, no, yes! OF COURSE they are stars!!! What on earth was I thinking!??!!

Edit: I recognize that the hats I have gifted have become more intricate over Time. Thus, if anyone to whom I have already bestowed a hat finds themselves dissatisfied with their hat, here is what you must do. First, repent. A lot. A whole lot for disrespecting a gift from the Arch-Cardinal. Then come to me and I may have mercy upon you and adjust your hat to something more fitting.

I think it fits just fine :-)

Awwww! That's awesome! If you send me the color version of your avatar, I can put the hat on that head instead. If you want.

EDIT: added spoiler

As it seemed the perfect hat to wear when dining with Miss Golightly, I debated for a while whether to debut the lovely gift you gave me in colour or in classic black-and-white. Here's my other self; what do you think?

I like! I didn't go to the trouble of adding an omlette to the hat if it weren't to be in color!

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:37 am UTC

htom wrote:
AionArap wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
AionArap wrote:
Caswallon wrote:Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv farnxl uvtu svir!

Wow, I tried googling that last sentence just for fun. It had 1 hit, this post in this thread (This was 10 minutes after it was posted).
Damn google, you're fast :P

Hehe, I would be very surprised indeed if that phrase did appear on google aside from this thread. It would mean that someone had to come up with the exact same statement(less likely), and then encrypt it in the exact same way(somewhat more likely).

The main surprise here was: 10 Minutes!!

That is indeed a surprise. Perhaps some of those Waiting for It are from Google?

I had to wait until I finally saw it again to refresh my memory of the exact name, and finally saw Google Feedfetcher on the list of "users" (loosely speaking) online below, which probably explains how it's updated so quickly. I've also noticed similar ones from Yahoo! & Microsoft (though I forget whether that one was named as MS, Bing, or some other MS-related service). The names appear in grey, so they stand out from the regular blue usernames.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:38 am UTC

Is anyone else having trouble viewing the comic (or the page in general)?

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:40 am UTC

boozledorf wrote:Is anyone else having trouble viewing the comic (or the page in general)?

Thank you, I was just going to ask. So, yes.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:41 am UTC

I am as well. aubronwood is not working right either. :shock:
Last edited by Tatiana on Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

htom

Postby htom » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:42 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
boozledorf wrote:Is anyone else having trouble viewing the comic (or the page in general)?

Yes. Time fall down?
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:43 am UTC

htom wrote:
KarMann wrote:

Yes. Time fall down?

I'd say it's probably imgs.xkcd.com that fell down. That not only serves up the images, which haven't been working well for me, but also the CSS stylesheet, which almost certainly explains the rather spartan appearance.

Added: To be more precise, DNS for imgs.xkcd.com fell down. It's a CNAME for 2930-xkcdimgs.voxcdn.com. (at least from here), which returns no records other than SOA. If it points to different servers for different regions, it might work for some but not for others.
Last edited by KarMann on Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:47 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Spoiler:
buffygirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
tman2nd wrote:
cmyk wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
elementropy wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Elementropy, Time Bandit, TimeWaiter Liturgist, Oxford Comma, and A Greek Omelette with Fries and Tomato Juice, Hold-the-toast-please in the Order of Breakfast, I, Timewaiter Arch-Cardinal Buffygirl, She who Rises From The Flames Like A Phoenix To Continue With Her Pursuit of Hat Perfection, do hereby present you with your hat.

derbyHat-egg-smlr.jpg

Wear it well.

My God...it's full of stars...

Is it now.

I suppose that's nice and all, but nothing beats the Monolith Hat...

Give it to HAL. :D

So it is written, so it shall be done.

Well, it would be, if I could. I'll attach the file I used for my avatar, if someone else would be so kind to attach the hat for me (I am lacking a program capable of removing multicolored backgrounds)

You know not what you ask! And yes, I'll do it.

Right. Ask and ye shall receive.

BIG HAT FOR HAL2.jpg
Ninja'd by my liege, but hey, another version if you feel like a little variety...

Very nice. And perfectly avatar-sized, too! I think I'll switch to this one, and keep Buffygirl's in reserve in case I want some variety.
Note: deleted and reposted to see if that fixes the display issues. Fun with spoilers!

HAL9000 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

YES

FTFY with the link. MWAH!

I shall wear it proudly.
EDIT: I have an entire folder on my desktop devoted to pictures from this thread. Is that normal?

You stole the image I made for you and made it your own!!?!!! (great feelings of anger and self-righteousness). I MUST OBJECT and yet still approve . . . WAIT NO! coolie thingy you did! And said you (didn't have the software) to make it so ... wait, YOU LIED! Shit, having BSG flashbacks.

Yeah, I'll prolly get over it.

But do not forget -- I AM THE HAT QUEEN. CREATE HATS WITHOUT MY BLESSING AND YOU RISK MY WRATH!!!!! shoot, I need to figure out what my "wrath" is ...

Oh, and . . . I spent an hour on that picture ... and what you did with it is better than mine. . . . I want to die (not really)

EDIT: removed some allcaps.
Last edited by buffygirl on Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:50 am UTC

Yep. I think we broke xkcd. And by we, I mean HAL9000. (jk)

Another million people are probably flooding the server with scripts to make their own updating animated Time players.
Last edited by cmyk on Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:54 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Spoiler:
buffygirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
tman2nd wrote:
cmyk wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
elementropy wrote:

derbyHat-egg-smlr.jpg

Wear it well.

Is it now.

Well, it would be, if I could. I'll attach the file I used for my avatar, if someone else would be so kind to attach the hat for me (I am lacking a program capable of removing multicolored backgrounds)

BIG HAT FOR HAL2.jpg
Ninja'd by my liege, but hey, another version if you feel like a little variety...

Very nice. And perfectly avatar-sized, too! I think I'll switch to this one, and keep Buffygirl's in reserve in case I want some variety.
Note: deleted and reposted to see if that fixes the display issues. Fun with spoilers!

HAL9000 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

YES

I shall wear it proudly.

YOU STOLE THE IMAGE I MADE FOR YOU AND MADE IT YOUR OWN!!?!!! (great feelings of anger and self-righteousness). I MUST OBJECT and yet still approve . . . WAIT NO! coolie thingy you did! And said you (didn't have the software) to make it so ... wait, YOU LIED! Shit, having BSG flashbacks.

But do not forget -- I AM THE HAT QUEEN. CREATE HATS WITHOUT MY BLESSING AND YOU RISK MY WRATH!!!!! shoot, I need to figure out what my "wrath" is ...

Oh, and . . . I spent an hour on that picture ... and what you did with it is better than mine. . . . I want to die (not really)

I was the one lacking software, not cmyk.
Also, don't fret about cmyk's quality of work compared to yours. He also made the 'last frames' r34/explosion .gif, among other image-manipulation opuses (opi?).
cmyk wrote:
Yep. I think we broke xkcd. And by we, I mean HAL9000.

I have picked up a fault in the AE35 unit.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:57 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
cmyk wrote:

Frank Poole wrote:Oh, no you don't, HAL. I fell for that one last time. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice . . . .
Hey, where did that pod come from?

Unrelated added: BTW, that infamous JavaScript is also hosted on imgs.xkcd.com, so if you've reloaded since things fell down, you won't get automatically updated.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:01 am UTC

nO NEWPIX?

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:02 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Spoiler:
buffygirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
tman2nd wrote:
cmyk wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
elementropy wrote:

derbyHat-egg-smlr.jpg

Wear it well.

Is it now.

BIG HAT FOR HAL2.jpg

HAL9000 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

YES

I shall wear it proudly.

YOU STOLE THE IMAGE I MADE FOR YOU AND MADE IT YOUR OWN!!?!!! (great feelings of anger and self-righteousness). I MUST OBJECT and yet still approve . . . WAIT NO! coolie thingy you did! And said you (didn't have the software) to make it so ... wait, YOU LIED! Shit, having BSG flashbacks.

Also, don't fret about cmyk's quality of work compared to yours. He also made the 'last frames' r34/explosion .gif, among other image-manipulation opuses (opi?).
cmyk wrote:

Sorry buffygirl, being the nerdiest 2001:ASO fan that I am, I jumped into photoshop like moth to flame, not realizing anyone had picked up the gauntlet before. I didn't mean to step on anyone's... ermm... hats?

HAL9000 wrote:I have picked up a fault in the AE35 unit.

Shit.

Uhh... hey, Frank, can I talk to you about something totally unrelated to HAL's dubious systems report?...
Last edited by cmyk on Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

elementropy

Postby elementropy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:03 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:I like! I didn't go to the trouble of adding an omlette to the hat if it weren't to be in color!

Then in colour it shall remain. Have a beautiful coma.
- quoth Elementropy, Time Bandit, TimeWaiter Liturgist, Oxford Comma, and
A Greek Omelette with Fries and Tomato Juice, Hold-the-toast-please in the Order of Breakfast

Tempus fugit quasi sagita; muscas fructibus arieram volunt...

BlitzGirl: welcome to the future!

edo

Postby edo » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:03 am UTC

Another Latepix, then. :sad: :cry:
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:03 am UTC

boozledorf wrote:nO NEWPIX?

And yes, it has just come to my attention that c[0-7].xkcd.com are also unresponsive. So, no NewPices the hard way, either. And the time.png redirect is also on imgs.xkcd.com, so can't get to that, either.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:04 am UTC

Anybody that's running a script to grab frames, log your output!

Most of the time I'm getting "Host not found." But sometimes I do get time.png resolved to a hash name, followed by a 503 "Service Temporarily Unavailable."

If imgs.xkcd.com stays down more than another hour, we'll need the hashes to retrieve the frames we missed.

New hash: f8f9c5e791058d4f15b9d73d9469babc2f1567b5081e3a50dca189ec239b2fe6.png

Currently unviewable image: Image
(Ninja that, sucker!)
Edited: Invisible image. Reedited: Spelling.
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:17 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

vvn

Postby vvn » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:05 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Caswallon wrote:Has anyone kept track of the creation dates of the images? the most recent was created on the 3/27. (Although the modified says 3/25?)

....supplies long list of this info. ... snipped

Possible heresy relating to Outside time.
Spoiler:
With few exceptions the frames are created 3-25/3-27. Some appear to me later than that. These frames are:
(Frame numbers based upon Book of Aubron)
267-274 on 3-30
416-417 419 425-426 428-429 on 4/05
474 on 4/12

Are these frames of more importance since they came later out of the mind of the creator.
Also, is there significance to the modification of frames being before they are created?

Also, another water rise graph. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2169004/tide.png (Can't tell from who but thank you.)

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:06 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Spoiler:
buffygirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
tman2nd wrote:
cmyk wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
elementropy wrote:

derbyHat-egg-smlr.jpg

Wear it well.

Is it now.

BIG HAT FOR HAL2.jpg

HAL9000 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

YES

I shall wear it proudly.

cmyk wrote:

*Sighs* But my artwork has been stolen, and it is no longer mine, although it began as mine. Nevermind that none of the images involved in my piece were of my own original artwork ... the talent was in the merging of the two!! So say I! . . . WOOT!

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:11 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Anybody that's running a script to grab frames, log your output!

Most of the time I'm getting "Host not found." But sometimes I do get time.png resolved to a hash name, followed by a 503 "Service Temporarily Unavailable."

If imgs.xkcd.com stays down more than another hour, we'll need the hashes to retrieve the frames we missed.

New hash: f8f9c5e791058d4f15b9d73d9469babc2f1567b5081e3a50dca189ec239b2fe6.png

Curently unviewable image: Image
(Ninja that, sucker!)

Now that's not fair! I was just about to post an ultimate-ninja-from-the-future, and you went back and edited that in there. :P

I do have such a script running, and it does log, and I already had that hash copied to clipboard. Time will tell.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:11 am UTC

I feel so..so lost and empty. Like life without Time has lost all meaning. If there is no Time, what's the purpose of all of this?

No. NO! I am a Knight of the Temporal Order! My faith in the One True Comic will never be shaken!

Spoiler:
The River is small. The sea is big. The River is small, the Sea is big.The River is small.The sea is big.TheRiverismall.Theseaisbig.TheRiverissmallTheseaisbigohdearRandalltheRiverissmalltheseaisbigtheriverissmalltheseaisbigtheriverissmalltheseaisbigtheriverissmalltheseaisbigtheriverissmalltheseaisbigtheriverissmalltheseaisbigtheriverismalltheseaisbigtheriverissmalltheseaisbigtherivertherivertheseatherivertheseatheseatheseariversseariverseariverseariverkickassriverriverriverriverriverriverriverriverissmalltheriverisbigtheseaissmalltheseaismallandtheriverismightybecauseshedonetheimpossible

HAL9000 wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:Okay, YANTOTEE*.

Spoiler:

Someplace that has mommies.
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Your Eternal Servant And Companion Through Time,
Dame Not-Bob
Temporal Defender Of The One True Comic

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:11 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Spoiler:
buffygirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
tman2nd wrote:
cmyk wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
elementropy wrote:

derbyHat-egg-smlr.jpg

Wear it well.

Is it now.

BIG HAT FOR HAL2.jpg

HAL9000 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

YES

I shall wear it proudly.

cmyk wrote:

*Sighs* But my artwork has been stolen, and it is no longer mine, although it began as mine. Nevermind that none of the images involved in my piece were of my own original artwork ... the talent was in the merging of the two!! So say I! . . . WOOT!

MGM and Abraham Lincoln's estate are frantically contacting their copyright lawyers.

vvn

Postby vvn » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:14 am UTC

Seems fixed. I am getting the image.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:15 am UTC

I'm not getting the site or your image.
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Dame Not-Bob

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:16 am UTC

None of the Othercomics are working either, so it's not a Time-specific problem. This means, hopefully, that it will be fixed soon.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:18 am UTC

Might as well coma now, as we can't view the newpix.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:18 am UTC

What will this mean for the sacred book of Aubronwood and the others?
Dear Blitzgirl,

Dame Not-Bob

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:19 am UTC

RefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefresh
RefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefresh
RefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefresh
RefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefresh
... sip of Pepsi... RefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefresh
RefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefreshRefresh...

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Also, script-users beware, I finally got something downloaded, but it turned out to be just this:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

<html><head>
<title>503 Service Temporarily Unavailable</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Service Temporarily Unavailable</h1>
<p>The server is temporarily unable to service your
request due to maintenance downtime or capacity
problems. Please try again later.</p>
<hr>
<address>VoxCAST Server at imgs.xkcd.com Port 80</address>
</body></html>

So, if you get one of those, depending on how your script works, you might have to manually delete that for it to get the proper image later. Alternatively, you could perhaps do some MIME type checking, or something. Or just manually download it later.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:26 am UTC

Actually, I just closed that comic's tab, since it auto-refreshes. May as well help diminish the load.

vvn

Postby vvn » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:28 am UTC

Shepherdess wrote:I'm not getting the site or your image.

Is this better? https://www.dropbox.com/s/e6e7xafqgqkknfh/f8f9c5e791058d4f15b9d73d9469babc2f1567b5081e3a50dca189ec239b2fe6.png
Shows the image, but not on the page.... :(
Last edited by vvn on Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:35 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”