1197: "All Adobe Updates"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Jorpho

Re: 1197: "All Adobe Updates"

Postby Jorpho » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:31 pm UTC

drummerpatch wrote:
Jorpho wrote:Well, Google Chrome updates silently and I've never been at all fond of that. It is one of the reasons I stay away from that application altogether.
I honestly don't see what's so bad about silent updates. Enlighten me?

For one thing, it happens at inconvenient times when I might want to be doing other things. It might be excusable if it had a negligible effect on available resources, but with something like Chrome, it tends to be very noticeable, and it tends to happen often.

The other problem is that occasionally it introduces new features that I don't want or locks out old features that I want to keep, such that I would be quite willing to keep using the old version until, say, the developers wake up and realize that lots of people feel the same way.

jaronflick

Postby jaronflick » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

When you have 2000 computers trying to update at the same time with an already over-subscribed Internet pipe, you tend to turn off all updates. Of course, if you don't update Windows, some sort of evil will befall you.

With Java, we have to keep multiple versions on computers because each application we run requires a different version.
We wait for it. It does not wait for us.

jimhsu

Postby jimhsu » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:56 pm UTC

We would indeed be better off installing Foxit Reader or whatnot for everything, if it weren't for the tiny percentage of files that actually use all the stupid scripting stuff and absolutely require it. They also happen to be the most important files (I'm looking at you, NIH grant form SF 424).

ToomanyUIDs

Postby ToomanyUIDs » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

Vroomfundel wrote:My pet peeve is the Adobe Reader update - it's a bloody PDF reader, why does it need updating so often? It's not like the PDF format changes so much or that it's a major security threat

The PDF format hasn't changed in a while but Adobe have added so many features to Adobe reader (which few people use) that it has become a bloated, buggy monstrosity. They have to keep updating it to fix all the security holes that the black hats keep finding and exploiting. Honestly, unless you read a lot of DRM'ed PDFs or need some exotic feature like embedded CAD or 3D model support, you are better off using one of the many lightweight alternatives. I use SumatraPDF, its reasonably lightweight, reads most PDF's and EPUB's without DRM and has an optional browser plugin if you like that sort of thing.

Mooninaut

Postby Mooninaut » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

It's a shame City of Heroes is dead, so I can't recommend trying the hilariously extended download installer, install downloader, update downloader, download updater, update updater, etc. sequence that the NCSoft Launcher / CoH Launcher went through on first install.

However, I can strongly recommend Ninite (ninite dot com) to anyone stuck on Windows, for updating freeware/FLOSS apps and plugins. You pick a set of software to update, and it generates a tiny executable you can stash that will update or install exactly those programs whenever you run it. It picks 32/64 bit versions automatically as appropriate to your version of Windows. It runs the installer in an offscreen window, picks the default installation options for the program itself but does not install the associated toolbars and other junk. Very handy to stick on a thumbdrive and/or keep in cloud storage.

Nazdar

Postby Nazdar » Mon May 06, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

Loving it. This comic was just featured during the keynote address at Adobe MAX.

Klear

Postby Klear » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:56 pm UTC

I just installed a new nvidia driver. Update notes?

- Fixed a bug which reported new update even if using the latest version
- Uninstall will now completely uninstall all features
- Other minor fixes

I'm pretty sure they put that last one there so they wouldn't look so stupid

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”