1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:
Exodies wrote:
SBN wrote:
Valarya wrote:In unrelated news: Did the search-party for Pope Helper ever turn up? I'm starting to think he isn't taking his pope-ing seriously.

Last recorded words, from April 6th, Outsider time:
Helper wrote:I'ma coma. G'night.

Prolly the cancer's got him

Or, possibly, the search party found him and a few depraved followers holed up in some remote mountain/jungle fastness, Kurtz-fashion, performing barbaric rituals and unspeakable cruelties, and decided to throw in their lot with him, going over wholesale to the dark side.

I'm just saying.

We'll get by. After all,
On page 288 StratPlayer wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:She slowly but surely catches up. We should prepare a ceremony for when she finally reaches us, in the future!

You are right! If Helper is still AWOL, I propose we make BlitzGirl the new Pope upon her arrival!

And on page 325 BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 267 out of 325 pages.
The Poles. NP 463.

So in another twenty-one pages, we'll have a new Mome! Huzzah!
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

htom

Postby htom » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:34 pm UTC

Several times Helper made reference to "outside duties", which may be the cause of the appearance of his desertion.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

histrion

Postby histrion » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Ninja'd.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

Work it, Cueball, work it!
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

<snip>
ninja'd
No posts in between?
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

tman2nd wrote:<snip>
ninja'd
No posts in between?

Well, depends on whether you count the previous ninjaed post or not, I reckon.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
tman2nd wrote:No posts in between?

Well, depends on whether you count the previous ninjaed post or not, I reckon.

It's not our fault Cueball builds so slowly. Bring Megan back and we'll have something to type about.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ZombieLion

Postby ZombieLion » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Did the search-party for Pope Helper ever turn up? I'm starting to think he isn't taking his pope-ing seriously.

Did anyone even send one? I think we forgot...

An alternative solution to the low pH level would be to send a group of Knights Temporal1 to politely inform2 the Outsiders that all their base are belong to us.

1 What does one call a group of Knights Temporal? Watch doesn't seem fitting when they're not on watch.
2 Better bring the trebuchet just in case, they aren't the most reasonable people.
blowfishhootie wrote:This community has created a situation in which asking someone if they want semen with their caffeinated drink actually makes sense.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

We could toss this out for speculation: Do y'all think the left tower will be a clone of the right one, or significantly different? If different, how?

I'm kind of thinking maybe a pointy tower instead of a crenellated one, in parallel with the castles below, would make sense, but it really doesn't look like it so far.

Added:
ZombieLion wrote:An alternative solution to the low pH level would be to send a group of Knights Temporal1 to politely inform2 the Outsiders that all their base are belong to us.

They definitely need to make their Time.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:16 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:We could toss this out for speculation: Do y'all think the left tower will be a clone of the right one, or significantly different? If different, how?

I'm kind of thinking maybe a pointy tower instead of a crenellated one, in parallel with the castles below, would make sense, but it really doesn't look like it so far.

Added:
ZombieLion wrote:An alternative solution to the low pH level would be to send a group of Knights Temporal1 to politely inform2 the Outsiders that all their base are belong to us.

I think it'll be the same.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

histrion

Postby histrion » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:18 pm UTC

ZombieLion wrote:What does one call a group of Knights Temporal? Watch doesn't seem fitting when they're not on watch.

So we're looking for a collective noun for Knights Temporal... how about a week?

Or maybe a boogie?
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:20 pm UTC

Fortknight?
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

tman2nd wrote:
KarMann wrote:We could toss this out for speculation: Do y'all think the left tower will be a clone of the right one, or significantly different? If different, how?

Added:

I think it'll be the same.

If they're building a larger version of any of the sandcastles below the platform, the castle just below him, on the left (with the two pointy towers capped with flags) seems to be a match.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

descor

Postby descor » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

poxic wrote:Fortknight?

This.
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:25 pm UTC

We have a winner!
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:29 pm UTC

ZombieLion wrote:
Valarya wrote:Did the search-party for Pope Helper ever turn up? I'm starting to think he isn't taking his pope-ing seriously.

An alternative solution to the low pH level would be to send a group of Knights Temporal1 to politely inform2 the Outsiders that all their base are belong to us.

1 What does one call a group of Knights Temporal? Watch doesn't seem fitting when they're not on watch.
2 Better bring the trebuchet just in case, they aren't the most reasonable people.

I'll do it, so long as I don't have to actually do anything.

I like it, but then what will we call our fort?
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Your Eternal Servant And Companion Through Time,
Dame Not-Bob
Temporal Defender Of The One True Comic

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

Fort of the Fortknight of Knights Temporal. Simple.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:32 pm UTC

D'oh! The answer was so obvious! It's brilliant!
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Your Eternal Servant And Companion Through Time,
Dame Not-Bob
Temporal Defender Of The One True Comic

htom

Postby htom » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:32 pm UTC

descor wrote:

This.

Close. "Forknight"

and then the Fort of the Forknight.

They prod with the Thrice Timed Fork. Or is it the Twice Tined Fork? Whichever.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:39 pm UTC

ZombieLion wrote:

Low solution pH is easy enough remedy, just titrate in a couple of ml's of 10M KOH :lol:

***crickets chirping***
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

vvn

Re: What is real?

Postby vvn » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:43 pm UTC

Davidy wrote:If "Z" is one meter, the platform would still tip if were only half that width. When the platform bases were brought in and raised they were shown to be about 1/2 as wide as the length of the small ones. If they're as long as, for instance, Megan is tall, they'd be just under 3 feet wide. They wouldn't rest securely on 8-10 inch posts. We don't know how big the posts are but, assuming they're wood, they can't be too big - remember, Megan was able to lift and place them by herself.

If Z is one meter maybe they are jamming the boards into the sides of the universe for better stability.

HAL9000
Not Red

Re: What is real?

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:48 pm UTC

vvn wrote:
Davidy wrote:If "Z" is one meter, the platform would still tip if were only half that width. When the platform bases were brought in and raised they were shown to be about 1/2 as wide as the length of the small ones. If they're as long as, for instance, Megan is tall, they'd be just under 3 feet wide. They wouldn't rest securely on 8-10 inch posts. We don't know how big the posts are but, assuming they're wood, they can't be too big - remember, Megan was able to lift and place them by herself.

If Z is one meter maybe they are jamming the boards into the sides of the universe for better stability.

That's one of the best sentences I've ever heard. Might need to sig that.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:54 pm UTC

Are these forknives being discussed related to sporks?

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:00 am UTC

vvn

Postby vvn » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:02 am UTC

castle2.png

Just a thought.

edit: better image.
Last edited by vvn on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:23 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

edo

Postby edo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:12 am UTC

poxic wrote:Fort of the Fortknight of Knights Temporal. Simple.

Not a member but perhaps you may want to simplify it to Fort Fortknight Knights Temporal, and the temporal vortex within the fort would be the Fort Fortknight Knights Temporal temporal vortex
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:20 am UTC

I prefer a horologium of Knights. Don't know which fork they'd use, though...
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:30 am UTC

vvn wrote:
castle2.png

Just a thought.

Holy crap.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

htom

Postby htom » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:36 am UTC

fhorn wrote:I prefer a horologium of Knights. Don't know which fork they'd use, though...

The Thrice Tined Spork?

Spork would be better for castle manipulations.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:36 am UTC

SBN wrote:
Valarya wrote:In unrelated news: Did the search-party for Pope Helper ever turn up? I'm starting to think he isn't taking his pope-ing seriously.

Last recorded words, from April 6th, Outsider time:
Helper wrote:I'ma coma. G'night.

It's obvious: they1 are in coma, like they said.

1: ugh
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:54 am UTC

When BlitzGirl finally finishes.

"I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now."

"Now what do we do?"

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:58 am UTC

vvn wrote:
castle2.png

Just a thought.

I like! But .... seems that starting at the top like this would not be the most effective approach...

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:00 am UTC

Added:
buffygirl wrote:
vvn wrote:
castle2.png

Just a thought.

I like! But .... seems that starting at the top like this would not be the most effective approach...

That's odd, I'd think that an Arch-Cardinal such as yourself would prefer a top-down approach.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:07 am UTC

KarMann wrote:Image

Added:
buffygirl wrote:
vvn wrote:
castle2.png

Just a thought.

That's odd, I'd think that an Arch-Cardinal such as yourself would prefer a top-down approach.

THBBBT!!

Random:
Coffee?!?? They threw Coffee?!? This is getting ridiculous . . . I want a raptor and an armed marine boarding party!

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:20 am UTC

StormAngel wrote:Does BuffyGirl have a 2015 McFly Hat yet* ?
As a Timewaiter such a hat should be mandatory, I think :)

* I mean in the present, (which is now the past) there should be no doubt that she has one in the future.
Hey I have one of those IRL... hang on, I didn't read your username when I clicked the quote button. We both have those IRL :P

Anyhow...
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:20 am UTC

histrion wrote:
ZombieLion wrote:What does one call a group of Knights Temporal? Watch doesn't seem fitting when they're not on watch.

So we're looking for a collective noun for Knights Temporal... how about a week?

Or maybe a boogie?

a ni
Last edited by Davidy on Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

elementropy

Postby elementropy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:24 am UTC

Shepherdess wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:
To whomever linked to the gluten-free oatmeal cookies, thanks. My waistline could use some more filling out...

I just popped them out of my NuWave oven. They're a little toasty because I forgot that sometimes cookies solidify when cooling so I kept them in for longer than I should have, but they're still quite good. I used craisins instead of raisins, eliminated the chocolate because I'm apparently allergic, and didn't use any nuts because of lack of supplies. But YUMMY! THANK YOU PERSON!

Edit: Oatmeal cookies count as breakfast, right?

Yes. They are the original breakfast bar. I assume your process was a little like this...
- quoth Elementropy, Time Bandit, TimeWaiter Liturgist, Oxford Comma, and
A Greek Omelette with Fries and Tomato Juice, Hold-the-toast-please in the Order of Breakfast

Tempus fugit quasi sagita; muscas fructibus arieram volunt...

BlitzGirl: welcome to the future!

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:00 am UTC

Illud expecto, ergo sum.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:33 am UTC

Davidy wrote:
histrion wrote:

Or maybe a boogie?

a ni

No, it's not that complicated... It's simply a "knumber of Knights"...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”