1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Latent22

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Latent22 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:00 am UTC

well I guess smiling Rook's are kind of rare. Maybe they need to be highlighted.

Any one else notice the wiki page for The Megan Period. How did they know she was going though that? Seems a bit too personal to me.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:00 am UTC

[B|D|G]ONG

Added: Yep, flags they be.
Last edited by KarMann on Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Foarm

Postby Foarm » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:01 am UTC

Dong
Spoiler:

EDIT: Ninja'd
squonk wrote:Looks like you grossly underestimated the passing of time.

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:18 am UTC

So.....
Six flags?
It's about time.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:23 am UTC

Eliram wrote:So.....
Six flags?

There were 6 flags at TimeFrame 164 as well. before two were taken down to rebuild the middle bit.

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:25 am UTC

Elmach wrote:This is your The Other Comic tri-weekly reminder, reminding you that The Other Comic has updated.

So that's what Megan was doing all the time she wasn't in Time!
Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir!
Godspeed to all the OTT travelers! I am one of you now!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)
- The Croissant Man (or Period Guy, whatevs)

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:00 am UTC

Six flags indeed

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:18 am UTC

Flotter wrote:
Spoiler:

Six flags indeed

10 flags!
There are 4 mini-flags on the mini-castle!

EDIT: FTFM
Last edited by manvandmaan on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:21 am UTC

You know who else made a slow moving movie which played out over an extended period of time?

Hari Seldon that's who.

We should perhaps go back and review the Comic as lessons from psychohistory.

EDIT: took me two goes to get his name right.
Last edited by Exodies on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:25 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:22 am UTC

poxic wrote:
ZombieLion wrote:What does one call a group of Knights Temporal? Watch doesn't seem fitting when they're not on watch.

Fortknight?

a rather late THIS!
I feel sad I missed that discussion, since I like sporks.

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:23 am UTC

Does Megan leaving and Cueball building sandcastles on top of the scaffolding warrant a new period?

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:27 am UTC

manvandmaan wrote:
poxic wrote:
ZombieLion wrote:What does one call a group of Knights Temporal? Watch doesn't seem fitting when they're not on watch.

Fortknight?

a rather late THIS!

I'm sure the Loopers won't mind if you do the discussion again. And the non-loopers won't mind either as repetition doesn't necessarily imply looping.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:30 am UTC

manvandmaan wrote:
Flotter wrote:
Spoiler:

Six flags indeed

10 flags!

You're right, I forgot about those :oops:

The caffeinesemencancerbunnybabies level has nearly reached the top of the dike, will Megan (or Cueball) raise it or will the castle be flooded?

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:33 am UTC

To commemorate page 330, here is a token from page 33!

Look at his little head. It doesn't quite know what in store for it.

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:34 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:
poxic wrote:

Fortknight?

a rather late THIS!

I'm sure the Loopers won't mind if you do the discussion again. And the non-loopers won't mind either as repetition doesn't necessarily imply looping.

Cool! Let's do this!

How about them Sporks, ey

Kazza3 wrote:Does Megan leaving and Cueball building sandcastles on top of the scaffolding warrant a new period?

I've adjusted the periods on the wiki, but I haven't found a proper name yet for the current period in which Cueball builds the rooks (?)
I've named it "Building of the Rooks" for now, but other suggestions are welcome!

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:35 am UTC

iisjreg wrote:To commemorate page 330, here is a token from page 33!

Look at his little head. It doesn't quite know what in store for it.

Is he watching us?

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past..... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:37 am UTC

Quest progress: 271 out of 330 pages.
The Scaffolding. NP 472.

These next few newpages have been quite disjointed and irregular. There is a disturbing lack of madness. Logic floods the thread, from trebuchet trajectory analysis to the scarily sane guess that Megan retrieves her building supplies from the nearest IKEA. Even the discussion about spherical cows is too well-reasoned. Thankfully, messages from the future have a reassuring amount of insanity in them. As evidence, this:
Spoiler:
kryton wrote:Changing my sig to say back-time good luck to Beatificified Oracular Blitzgirl B.O.B. for short.

And then this:
Shepherdess wrote:Image

I do not understand this at all! Hurray!
Obviously the future thread has survived whatever Chaos may have occurred; my congratulations to you!
The latest sig roundup:
Spoiler:
Shepherdess wrote:Dear Braver-Than-I Blitzgirl,

I may have panicked a bit.

Your Sheepishly Eternal Servant And Embarrassed Companion Through Time,
Dame Not-Bob
Temporal Defender Of The One True Comic

When in doubt, Wait it out! Patience will always stave off panic. But do not be embarrassed! We are but mere stick-figures on the great semencancercoffeebaby beach of life, watching Time pass by. We build Sandcastles and forum posts as we Wait, and just like Cueball and Megan, we are prone to falling from our perches every now and again.

Flado wrote:Keep calm and wait for it.
Except you, Blitzgirl.

Is this a direction to panic? I just explained my aversion to panic! Or is it a direction not to Wait? That's just silly.

htom wrote:BlitzGirl -- Have faith and savor your journey.

Now that's more like it! Though it would be nice to have some cookies back here too, and not just waiting for me in the future.

manvandmaan wrote:BlitzGirl, I am Waiting For It and also for You! Godspeed you, brave adventurer!

Caswallon wrote:Looking forward to welcoming Blitzgirl in the currentpix!

Thanks for the sigcouragement! :D

I was also directed to more Ancient Text, on page 109:
edo wrote:Ancient Text ב:And She realize not how grand Her quest, and what power She holds. Though She starts Her journey as a humble Traveler, the journey itself will give Her the wisdom and the bravery to take the charge that is to come.

Charge? What charge? Is B.O.B. supposed to be another title? Is that what that was all about? Or is it the Knighthood, or the Cardinalship? Believe me, I am not all that powerful - I would have finished my Quest by now, surely. I suppose I will just Wait for It and see.

As a pleasant parting point, I show you an edit from the Now that I happened across here in the past:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:FutureEdit: What better post to edit to leave a message to BlitzGirl than my 100th in-thread post. FutureText:
To BlitzGirl:

Good luck. I made a past journey through 100 pages (could that be true?) that was really 140 to 160 pages once I caught up. It really puts a stress on your family, so be aware of those around you. You still gotta ignore them but be nice about it. Bathe and eat. Same time, if you can. Coma only when forced. Ignore Outside.

When the discussion gets technical and pedantic, well, I couldn't process much thinking about how much this was holding me up from getting to the goal. I'm glad you seem to have a bit more patience to tread on. Please bring with you to the future any gems lost to Time so we may not be bereft of their beauty.

P.S. I may or may not be part of the Western Paradox Church (see above), it is unknown to me, but you may count yourself a member whilst you journey through the past. As to your membership in the future, that is markedly less clear. Cherish this transient gift.

1. I'm glad I'm not the only one shivering in the cold logic of these pages.
2. I'm already bringing a whistle to the future, and I'm quickly running out of pockets. Do I really need to bring gems, too?
3. Don't ask me about the whole church situation. *shrug* I'm really quite puzzled as to which futurechurch is what, and what churchly memberships I hold. Churchy church chuch. All I know is that I am now a B.O.B. (maybe?)

The Quest continues!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:37 am UTC

Is there a hydrologist in the house? I'm confused by the ability of Megan's Nub to hold back the "liquid" unless it stretches from the back wall of space to the front one. It seems to be achieving what the Maginot Line so famously failed to do.

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:47 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 271 out of 330 pages.
The Scaffolding. NP 472.

These next few newpages have been quite disjointed and irregular. There is a disturbing lack of madness. Logic floods the thread, from trebuchet trajectory analysis to the scarily sane guess that Megan retrieves her building supplies from the nearest IKEA. Even the discussion about spherical cows is too well-reasoned. Thankfully, messages from the future have a reassuring amount of insanity in them. /snip

Worry not, Insanity does indeed await you in the future!
I realise that although I write this in the present, by the time you read this in the future, the aforementioned insantiy will be in your past, which makes this all rather unnecessary.
Still, worry not! And good luck on the continuation of your noble quest, if it is not completed by now.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:48 am UTC

[...]
The Quest continues!

I ask myself what I would have to pay for bribing a moderator to honor BlitzGirl with a forum rank title. It would be a proper message back in time. I suggest "Anointed One". Or the whole bunch of ceremonial titles posted 2-3 pages earlier. :lol:
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:55 am UTC

Exodies wrote:Is there a hydrologist in the house? I'm confused by the ability of Megan's Nub to hold back the "liquid" unless it stretches from the back wall of space to the front one. It seems to be achieving what the Maginot Line so famously failed to do.

well maybe the high viscosity of the seminatedcoffeecancerbabies is helping some what to stop it passing though the Nub. Also I'm mentioned before that the "water" line may not be straight. It might be a curve meaning the Nub would not need to be very wide for it to stop the "liquid" going around the sides.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:56 am UTC

Exodies wrote:Is there a hydrologist in the house? I'm confused by the ability of Megan's Nub to hold back the "liquid" unless it stretches from the back wall of space to the front one. It seems to be achieving what the Maginot Line so famously failed to do.

There have been a lot of arguments about this. They seem to involve
a) discussions of how many dimensions the comic universe is in that part of the frame i.e. if there are only two, there's no problem (there was something about 2D mass and Higgs' Bosons which I didn't understand).
b) whether all the "liquid" we can see is not in fact a cross-section of a very thin arm or fjord of the "sea" stretching inland towards the castles, such that a relatively narrow but 3D Nub would suffice to stem the tide.

Besides

c) The liquid level is rising behind the Nub.

There's a pun to be made about the nub of the matter there somewhere, but nevermind.

This seems to be getting increasingly haphazard. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of Dali's floppy watches draped over the platform railings next.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

edo

Postby edo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:59 am UTC

Exodies wrote:I propose that we elect Cmyk to the position of Imagician for his skilful juggling of the images.

Seconded unless someone has, then (n+1)nded
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:02 pm UTC

manvandmaan wrote:
Flotter wrote:
Spoiler:

Six flags indeed

10 flags!

Here, I've fixed it for you...

Now there are 18 flags
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order
Purveyor of Pepsi, the One True Beverage
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

histrion

Postby histrion » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:03 pm UTC

Elmach wrote:This is your The Other Comic tri-weekly reminder, reminding you that The Other Comic has updated.

And it's definitely one of the bookmark-worthiest ones, IMHO. Though some people in the discussion thread would appear to disagree.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

Jafloi

Postby Jafloi » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:03 pm UTC

Flotter wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:
Flotter wrote:
Spoiler:

Six flags indeed

10 flags!

You're right, I forgot about those :oops:

The caffeinesemencancerbunnybabies level has nearly reached the top of the dike, will Megan (or Cueball) raise it or will the castle be flooded?

I don't think it look like they actually care too much about the "old" castle anymore, maybe they will just let the sea(?) wash it away?
buffygirl wrote:Jafloi, [...] I do hereby annoint you as Cardinal Jafloi of the Chicken Salad Sandwich, mayo optional.
...and Lightscribe (woodworker of time)

BlitzGirl: "wait fast, but wait well" *And good luck with the rest of your journey!!*You made it! Welcome!

silent_death

Postby silent_death » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:04 pm UTC

[...]
The Quest continues!

It seems like Blitzgirl is getting closer and closer! She might even get here today! (or - within the next 10NP for those living in a different timezone) - We should totally start preparing the Ceremony for her arrival...any Suggestions ?
- former Expecto Space Bishop Temporas of the Church of Eastern unorthodox Timewaiters

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:10 pm UTC

silent_death wrote:
[...]
The Quest continues!

It seems like Blitzgirl is getting closer and closer! She might even get here today! (or - within the next 10NP for those living in a different timezone) - We should totally start preparing the Ceremony for her arrival...any Suggestions ?

I still have some +1 Croissants of Deliciousness in stock I could give her!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:10 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
StormAngel wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Exodies wrote:I propose that we elect Cmyk to the position of Imagician for his skilful juggling of the images.

Grand Imagician, Master of Picardry, Holder of the Staff of Photoshop

As long as he isn't holding them for ransom :)
And what does Picard have to do with it?

#purposeful misunderstanding
You fail hashtagging forever.

Holy spherical-vacuum-cow... I am truly humbled, and accept the Almighty Staff of Photoshoppery by running around the house screaming like a teenage girl who just got tickets to a Justin Bieber concert.

If I had one, I would guard its glowing encrusted Pixels within the secret walls of the volcano. But since I'm just a dood, I'll toss them on the floor along with my dirty socks and underwear.

Let us hope I don't vacuum them up. If I ever vacuumed. So they should be totally cool.

Also, if you ever want to see Picard again, send me 1,000,000,000 Federation Credits by dawn tomorrow... or I'm venting him out the airlock with Wesley.

A rightly-deserved honor, oh He-Of-The-Power-To-Alter-Pixels-In-Awesome-Ways-At-Will! Your illustrationary talent has added great joy to the Wait!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:11 pm UTC

I ran across this:
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:16 pm UTC

tman2nd wrote:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:
cmyk wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:Image

Hey. Does it seem like the water level is rising? Has anyone noticed that?

Forget the water level, has anyone noticed no wind or waves?

They're in a cave. It's a river of bat piss.

sementedcafinatedcancerbabycofeeicebatpiss?
cmyk wrote:Image

The rooks are very short.

marchlight wrote:I humbly put forth my application to join the Knights Temporal. I grew up in the great white north, and since the knights have claimed the north, I can help us build igloos (because we totally all live in igloos in Vancouver). Also, I'm pretty handy on a horse.

My post will be stuck in mod-approval land for a while and may be lost in the Pages before anyone sees it, but I will wait patiently in hopes that the brave adventurer Blitzgirl will happen across my request and find me worthy of knighthood. Until then, I continue to Wait for It.

The river is small!

The sea is big!

What do you want your knightly name to be?
Spoiler:
Latent22 wrote:And off Cueball goes. Now we can look forward to several frames of nothing but the 'liquid' rising

Or maybe Megan comes back?

Yes, welcome to the Knights Temporal! Feel free to dub thyself in whatever way most pleases you. Don't worry -- we won't watch.. Well, we'll Watch, as is our Knightly duty, but only in your vaguely-general direction...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:18 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:You know who else made a slow moving movie which played out over an extended period of time?

Hari Seldon that's who.

We should perhaps go back and review the Comic as lessons from psychohistory.

EDIT: took me two goes to get his name right.

And what is your Foundation for this claim?

EDIT: Sorry for the double-post. I got into the habit of not worrying about it back in the days of rapid-fire Time-posting, since it was virtually guaranteed that by the time I'd made a second post, my first one would be several posts back in the thread. I'll start doing multi-topic single posts to better adhere to the fora conventions...
Last edited by StratPlayer on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:25 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:20 pm UTC

I think there is another solution to the "sand is permeable to water and therefore the dike should not hold back the water so effectively" problem.
The dike may simply be built out of wet sand, but the sea may be made from oil. Since that would prevent seeping through it would work.

Or the dike may be sand wetted with a semencancerbaby repellent stuff. Then the semencancerbabies will not seep through. Might I suggest it's something filled with an antioxidants? Since they repel cancer.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:25 pm UTC

histrion wrote:

And it's definitely one of the bookmark-worthiest ones, IMHO. Though some people in the discussion thread would appear to disagree.

No, I have to disagree. I think you're wrong in that we would disagree about our agreement. We can absolutely all agree that today's comic is indeed bookmark-worthy, and actually pulls from the many times in this thread that Cage's 4'33" was discussed. Is Lord Randall mining this thread for material???

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:25 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:I think there is another solution to the "sand is permeable to water and therefore the dike should not hold back the water so effectively" problem.
The dike may simply be built out of wet sand, but the sea may be made from oil. Since that would prevent seeping through it would work.

Or the dike may be sand wetted with a semencancerbaby repellent stuff. Then the semencancerbabies will not seep through. Might I suggest it's something filled with an antioxidants? Since they repel cancer.

Or it's hydrophobic sand.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

histrion

Postby histrion » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:29 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
histrion wrote:

No, I have to disagree. I think you're wrong in that we would disagree about our agreement. We can absolutely all agree that today's comic is indeed bookmark-worthy, and actually pulls from the many times in this thread that Cage's 4'33" was discussed. Is Lord Randall mining this thread for material???

To clarify, I wasn't referring to this discussion thread.

ETA: Rapidly approaching my 100th post! 98 of which have been in this thread! :D
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

The Scaffolding. NP 472.

<...snip...>

Believe me, I am not all that powerful - I would have finished my Quest by now, surely. I suppose I will just Wait for It and see.

<...snip...>

Unfortunately it has evolved to the point where it matters not how you view yourself -- you've been elevated to legendary status by virtue of your deeds. the people have spoken.

"Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them"

I think you've both achieved and been thrusted...

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:37 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
histrion wrote:

To clarify, I wasn't referring to this discussion thread.

ETA: Rapidly approaching my 100th post! 98 of which have been in this thread! :D

Wait.... Wha??? There's OTHER discussion threads on this fora???

EDIT: D'oh! Another double-post!!! <facepalm> BAD StratPlayer! Bad, BAD StratPlayer!!! You must repent and change your evil ways!!!!
Last edited by StratPlayer on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

histrion

Postby histrion » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:39 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
The Scaffolding. NP 472.

<...snip...>

Believe me, I am not all that powerful - I would have finished my Quest by now, surely. I suppose I will just Wait for It and see.

<...snip...>

Unfortunately it has evolved to the point where it matters not how you view yourself -- you've been elevated to legendary status by virtue of your deeds. the people have spoken.

"Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them"
I think you've both achieved and been thrusted...

That's what he said.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”