1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Valarya
Posts: 975
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Nashville

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valarya » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
SBN wrote:
Ebonite wrote:
marchlight wrote:
Spoiler:
Image


I GOT IT!!!

They built a dance floor!!

It would be great if in the next NewPix they both had their right hands pointed up in the air like John Travolta. . .


As long as they don't do Gangnam style.


No, no no! Of course they would do this.


Of course. What ELSE IS THERE?!
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Image

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:More dialog!

Although we seem to have become sadly bereft of the guidance of those of the various sects of the holy Time religions, that they might guide us by their enlightened revelation of meaning behinds the words of Megan and Cueball.


What about this?


Well, there might be deeper significance...

For one thing, how can rain be "on" the sea? Once the rain-drop touches the sea-water, it becomes part of the sea -- one with the sea, right?

I can see rain "over" the sea and "into" the sea, but not "on" the sea.

But... perhaps the rain and the sea are of different liquids and the rain has a lighter density, like oil on top of water, or perhaps semenated-oily-cancerbabycoffee on top of semenated-not-oily-cancerbabycoffee...

EDITED for spelling and spacing...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Роберт » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
But... perhaps the rain and the sea are of different liquids and the rain has a lighter density
Well, the sea water is salty, which is more dense than freshwater, eg rain.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

User avatar
slinches
Slinches get Stinches
Posts: 976
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby slinches » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Eutychus wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Well, there might be deeper significance...

For one thing, how can rain be "on" the sea? Once the rain-drop touches the sea-water, it becomes part of the sea -- one with the sea, right?

I can see rain "over" the sea and "into" the sea, but not "on" the sea.


It does seem to be somewhat oddly phrased. I think "Does it rain at sea?" would be most common, but "into" or "on" the sea would both be logically consistent choices as they convey the same meaning. Raining "in" the sea wouldn't make sense since it implies underwater* rain.


*or whatever liquid-like substance the sea is made of.

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2164
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:37 pm UTC

slinches wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Eutychus wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Well, there might be deeper significance...

For one thing, how can rain be "on" the sea? Once the rain-drop touches the sea-water, it becomes part of the sea -- one with the sea, right?

I can see rain "over" the sea and "into" the sea, but not "on" the sea.


It does seem to be somewhat oddly phrased. I think "Does it rain at sea?" would be most common, but "into" or "on" the sea would both be logically consistent choices as they convey the same meaning. Raining "in" the sea wouldn't make sense since it implies underwater* rain.


*or whatever liquid-like substance the sea is made of.


Perhaps we're all reading this wrong, given the use of caps. Shouldn't we read, "Does It rain on the sea?" Is she speaking of the It for which we Wait?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
edo
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:05 pm UTC
Location: ~TrApPeD iN mY PhOnE~

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby edo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 271 out of 330 pages.
The Scaffolding. NP 472.


Darn, She is still at only 80%. Better do this sooner rather than later:
I am the voice that cries out from the needle-pulled thing,“MAKE STRAIGHT THE PATH FOR THE ONE WHO IS TO COME; MAKE YOUR QUOTES WELL TRIMMED AND YOUR POSTS BE CONCISE; FOR CERTAINLY IT BE FUNNY WHEN THE QUOTES BE DEEP; BUT HER TASK IS HARD ENOUGH ALREADY, SO PLEASE, NO MORE BIG ASS POSTS.”1

1Don't worry I haven't ruined it.
Last edited by edo on Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:38 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

Eutychus
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:01 am UTC
Location: France

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Eutychus » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

SBN wrote:Perhaps we're all reading this wrong, given the use of caps. Shouldn't we read, "Does It rain on the sea?" Is she speaking of the It for which we Wait?


Ooh! Is that a reference to It?
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:
SBN wrote:Perhaps we're all reading this wrong, given the use of caps. Shouldn't we read, "Does It rain on the sea?" Is she speaking of the It for which we Wait?


Ooh! Is that a reference to It?


Or, as was posted many, many NewPages ago:

Spoiler:
Image
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
Angelastic
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:36 am UTC
Location: .at (let's see what's through here!)
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Angelastic » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:48 pm UTC

slinches wrote:It does seem to be somewhat oddly phrased. I think "Does it rain at sea?" would be most common, but "into" or "on" the sea would both be logically consistent choices as they convey the same meaning.

Well, these people don't seem to have much knowledge of basic things such as tides and weather and whether drinking the sea is a good idea, so I wouldn't be surprised if they phrased it weirdly. They're either children or nonhuman (whether on their home planet or not.)

Also, the sea is made of molecular acid.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

User avatar
tman2nd
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:56 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere south of the North Poll

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby tman2nd » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:54 pm UTC

Imagine doing this with Time.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

User avatar
histrion
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby histrion » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Spoiler:
slinches wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Eutychus wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Well, there might be deeper significance...

For one thing, how can rain be "on" the sea? Once the rain-drop touches the sea-water, it becomes part of the sea -- one with the sea, right?

I can see rain "over" the sea and "into" the sea, but not "on" the sea.


It does seem to be somewhat oddly phrased. I think "Does it rain at sea?" would be most common, but "into" or "on" the sea would both be logically consistent choices as they convey the same meaning. Raining "in" the sea wouldn't make sense since it implies underwater* rain.


*or whatever liquid-like substance the sea is made of.


Perhaps we're all reading this wrong, given the use of caps. Shouldn't we read, "Does It rain on the sea?" Is she speaking of the It for which we Wait?


Maybe she's referring to the IT department that houses the image servers. She's worried that there'll be a short before The (Alleged) End.

Angelastic wrote:Also, the sea is made of molecular acid.


Time is a molecular acid.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:59 pm UTC

tman2nd wrote:Imagine doing this with Time.


Damn! I'd forgotten about that one! That's all about this comic and it's out-of-control needle-pulling thing! We've ALL made an extreme sport out of Waiting and there indeed IS, "too much Time, PERIOD"!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
Magdiragdag
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:52 pm UTC
Location: Amsterdam

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Magdiragdag » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

Image
I wait for it, therefore I am.

User avatar
kryton
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:34 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kryton » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

Elmach wrote:
Exodies wrote:
StormAngel wrote:
Elmach wrote:This is your The Other Comic tri-weekly reminder, reminding you that The Other Comic has updated.

So are the Temporal Bishops in the previous picture Initiates of Time or Timewaiters?

Silence, ye unbeliever! Do not think you can sway our devotion to the One True Comic that easily!!

On the topic of the Temporal Bishops, perhaps there is one of each?

Could you possibly post the secret message when you alert us to the latest comic? I'm operating on an iPad and can't be bothered to visit the other threads in the forum just to see what the hover text is. Thanks.

All comics are just frames of Time in locations where another comic happened to overwrite it.


the mobile version is m.xkcd.com which has a [alt text] button to tap and reveal the 'secret message'
1298 and counting

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
<snip>

Maybe she's referring to the IT department that houses the image servers. She's worried that there'll be a short before The (Alleged) End.


If "It" was for I.T., I'd think it would have been written more like,

"Does IT reign over the C++?"



EDITED TO ADD:

I'll be dammed -- 200th post!!! To celebrate in the proper way, I'd like to submit this illustrious quote in honor of Our-Pope-who-once-was-but-who's-now-long-gone-missing-and-probably-found-somthing-much-better-to-do-with-his-Time-like-cleaning-his-shower-grout-with-his-toothbrush-or-plucking-lint-from-his-navel-with-tweezers-made-from-wombat-claws, Helper:

Spoiler:
"penis!"
Last edited by StratPlayer on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
histrion
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby histrion » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:11 pm UTC

kryton wrote:the mobile version is m.xkcd.com which has a [alt text] button to tap and reveal the 'secret message'


I imagine this will work better in many ways than the I heart XKCD app. OTOH, the app lets me mark some strips as favorites, so... hmm.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

User avatar
KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??
Posts: 916
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 am UTC
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA, far from river and sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:-- Self proclaimed Anti-Pope of the Eastern Unorthodox Timewaiters - until someone notices...

kryton wrote:Elected Space-Pope of the Eastern Unorthodox TimeWaiters.

So, now that you've both posted on the same NewPage*, do you mutually annihilate, or what?

* Not that I'm sure you hadn't before.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

User avatar
kryton
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:34 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kryton » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:17 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
StormAngel wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Exodies wrote:I propose that we elect Cmyk to the position of Imagician for his skilful juggling of the images.


Grand Imagician, Master of Picardry, Holder of the Staff of Photoshop

As long as he isn't holding them for ransom :)
And what does Picard have to do with it?

#purposeful misunderstanding
You fail hashtagging forever.


Holy spherical-vacuum-cow... I am truly humbled, and accept the Almighty Staff of Photoshoppery by running around the house screaming like a teenage girl who just got tickets to a Justin Bieber concert.

If I had one, I would guard its glowing encrusted Pixels within the secret walls of the volcano. But since I'm just a dood, I'll toss them on the floor along with my dirty socks and underwear.

Let us hope I don't vacuum them up. If I ever vacuumed. So they should be totally cool.



Also, if you ever want to see Picard again, send me 1,000,000,000 Federation Credits by dawn tomorrow... or I'm venting him out the airlock with Wesley.


A rightly-deserved honor, oh He-Of-The-Power-To-Alter-Pixels-In-Awesome-Ways-At-Will! Your illustrationary talent has added great joy to the Wait!


How much for Picard without Wesley (Banjo Song, Banjo Song, ...)
1298 and counting

User avatar
kryton
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:34 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kryton » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 271 out of 330 pages.
[...]
The Quest continues!

I ask myself what I would have to pay for bribing a moderator to honor BlitzGirl with a forum rank title. It would be a proper message back in time. I suggest "Anointed One". Or the whole bunch of ceremonial titles posted 2-3 pages earlier. :lol:

Seconded, but perhaps something more reflective of her current state such as "On A Quest".
1298 and counting

User avatar
treadman
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby treadman » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
tman2nd wrote:Imagine doing this with Time.


Damn! I'd forgotten about that one! That's all about this comic and it's out-of-control needle-pulling thing! We've ALL made an extreme sport out of Waiting and there indeed IS, "too much Time, PERIOD"!


Now I have an image in my head of an arena full of people watching this thread unfold, shouting, "Wait for it! Wait for it! Wait for it!", as the commentators discuss the various "wait" stats of the thread participants.

User avatar
kryton
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:34 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kryton » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:33 pm UTC

manvandmaan wrote:
marchlight wrote:
Spoiler:
Image


Are they watching US? I'm very aware of myself right now :s Hope they don't notice that stain on my shirt!

I've got a scary feeling that they are going to take a bow, thank us for watching and then, out of nowhere, closing curtains will appear.


they really do look like they are looking right at us, NEAT!
1298 and counting

User avatar
histrion
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby histrion » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:36 pm UTC

treadman wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
tman2nd wrote:Imagine doing this with Time.


Damn! I'd forgotten about that one! That's all about this comic and it's out-of-control needle-pulling thing! We've ALL made an extreme sport out of Waiting and there indeed IS, "too much Time, PERIOD"!


Now I have an image in my head of an arena full of people watching this thread unfold, shouting, "Wait for it! Wait for it! Wait for it!", as the commentators discuss the various "wait" stats of the thread participants.


So, basically, the PGA? :P

ETA:

kryton wrote:the mobile version is m.xkcd.com which has a [alt text] button to tap and reveal the 'secret message'


I forgot to ask earlier: does it auto-refresh on the hour B/D/GONG?
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:38 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
treadman wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
tman2nd wrote:Imagine doing this with Time.


Damn! I'd forgotten about that one! That's all about this comic and it's out-of-control needle-pulling thing! We've ALL made an extreme sport out of Waiting and there indeed IS, "too much Time, PERIOD"!


Now I have an image in my head of an arena full of people watching this thread unfold, shouting, "Wait for it! Wait for it! Wait for it!", as the commentators discuss the various "wait" stats of the thread participants.


So, basically, the PGA? :P


Procrastinator's Gaming Association?
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:41 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
histrion wrote:
treadman wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
tman2nd wrote:Imagine doing this with Time.


Damn! I'd forgotten about that one! That's all about this comic and it's out-of-control needle-pulling thing! We've ALL made an extreme sport out of Waiting and there indeed IS, "too much Time, PERIOD"!


Now I have an image in my head of an arena full of people watching this thread unfold, shouting, "Wait for it! Wait for it! Wait for it!", as the commentators discuss the various "wait" stats of the thread participants.


So, basically, the PGA? :P


Procrastinator's Gaming Association?

Pin grid array.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
kryton
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:34 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kryton » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
kryton wrote:the mobile version is m.xkcd.com which has a [alt text] button to tap and reveal the 'secret message'


I forgot to ask earlier: does it auto-refresh on the hour B/D/GONG?


Yes
1298 and counting

User avatar
spamjam
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:06 pm UTC
Location: greenlake seawash

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby spamjam » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

Image
Last edited by spamjam on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

airdrik
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 3:08 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby airdrik » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

spamjam wrote:

I see what you did there, you sneaky ninja

timlash
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:14 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby timlash » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

Lurker from the beginning of Time here. If I end up waiting, God knows how long, for a Global Warming parable...I will be...disappointed.

BTW, +1 for all the silliness here. Keep up the good work.

Cheers

User avatar
kryton
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:34 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kryton » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

The psalm has been updated
Leader: Wanna swim?
People: Yeah!
Leader: Pffthh
People: *cough*
Leader: You ok?
People: Just got some in my mouth.
Leader: Any idea where the river is now?
People: Still pretty far out. It's actually retreated a little this week.
Leader: I don't understand what the sea is doing.
People: (silence)
Leader: I don't think we can build it much taller than this.
People: It's been fun, though!
Leader: Pfffth Pthuh! Yuck.
People: I've had worse.
Leader: Guess one of us should climb down.
People: Yeah.
Leader: The sea is rising.
People: Yeah.
Leader: Sea level rises and falls, right? It's changed before.
People: Not this fast.
Leader: The river hasn't even reached the sea yet.
People: The river is small. The sea is big.
Leader: How big?
People: I don't know.
Leader: (silence)
People: Does it Rain on the Sea?
Leader: I don't know, if it does it seems like a waste.

Hear Ends the Psalm
1298 and counting

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2164
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

spamjam wrote:http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/


Looks like you got caught by the same URL issues that I had earlier. You'll want to use http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/c13d1010939e8bc175e8be06362bce73230a859bcbd682bc53ab9cd913ea7e06.png so as not to confuse Blitzgirl et al.

Edited to remove the final piece of the url, since the quoted post is fixed.
Last edited by SBN on Fri May 03, 2013 3:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
kryton
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:34 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kryton » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:11 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
Valarya wrote:-- Self proclaimed Anti-Pope of the Eastern Unorthodox Timewaiters - until someone notices...

kryton wrote:Elected Space-Pope of the Eastern Unorthodox TimeWaiters.

So, now that you've both posted on the same NewPage*, do you mutually annihilate, or what?

* Not that I'm sure you hadn't before.


Nah, since I noticed her sig a few pages ago it didn't slip past me the volatility was neutralized by promoting her to Apex Bishop of the Conclave of Eastern Unorthodox TimeWaiters passing the plate to take up today's collection .
1298 and counting

User avatar
treadman
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby treadman » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

kryton wrote:The psalm has been updated
<snip>
Leader: How big?
People: I don't know.
Leader: (silence)
People: Does it Rain on the Sea?
Leader: I don't know, if it does it seems like a waste.


It seems like the leader should be asking the questions. The people should always answer, "I don't know".

User avatar
lmjb1964
Posts: 2269
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:09 pm UTC
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

kryton wrote:The psalm has been updated
Leader: Wanna swim?
People: Yeah!
Leader: Pffthh
People: *cough*
Leader: You ok?
People: Just got some in my mouth.
Leader: Any idea where the river is now?
People: Still pretty far out. It's actually retreated a little this week.
Leader: I don't understand what the sea is doing.
People: (silence)
Leader: I don't think we can build it much taller than this.
People: It's been fun, though!
Leader: Pfffth Pthuh! Yuck.
People: I've had worse.
Leader: Guess one of us should climb down.
People: Yeah.
Leader: The sea is rising.
People: Yeah.
Leader: Sea level rises and falls, right? It's changed before.
People: Not this fast.
Leader: The river hasn't even reached the sea yet.
People: The river is small. The sea is big.
Leader: How big?
People: I don't know.
Leader: (silence)
People: Does it Rain on the Sea?
Leader: I don't know, if it does it seems like a waste.

Hear Ends the Psalm


So it is written.

If Amen means "So be it," is there a word that means "Wait for it?" Looks like (from a certain outsider source that shall remain nameless, but rhymes with "Mikipedia") that "amen" is a word from Aramaic or ancient Hebrew or Syriac. So if anyone knows how to say "Wait for it" in one of those languages, we'll be all set.
Image

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

User avatar
kryton
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:34 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kryton » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:23 pm UTC

treadman wrote:
kryton wrote:The psalm has been updated
<snip>
Leader: How big?
People: I don't know.
Leader: (silence)
People: Does it Rain on the Sea?
Leader: I don't know, if it does it seems like a waste.


It seems like the leader should be asking the questions. The people should always answer, "I don't know".


For a psalm, it is a recitation of the dialog as the dialog was given to us
But the ChronoCreed is in the form of question/answer

Do you believe in Time?
We believe in the One True Comic of Time.
Do you believe in the creator?
We believe in Randall, the creator of the one true comic, who causes Cueball and Megan to enter and leave at the appointed hours, to build or talk or swim according to his will, so that we may wait for it.
Do you believe in the End of Time?
We know not where goes the Time, but, We Wait for it.
1298 and counting

User avatar
elementropy
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:42 pm UTC
Location: Tiffany's

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby elementropy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

treadman wrote:
kryton wrote:The psalm has been updated
<snip>
Leader: How big?
People: I don't know.
Leader: (silence)
People: Does it Rain on the Sea?
Leader: I don't know, if it does it seems like a waste.


It seems like the leader should be asking the questions. The people should always answer, "I don't know".

From a purely logistical standpoint, it works a lot better if a leader is the first to speak after a period of silence.

I might suggest:
Leader: How big?
People: I don't know.
Several beats of silence are observed.
Leader: Does it Rain on the Sea?
People: I don't know; if it does it seems like a waste.
Last edited by elementropy on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
- quoth Elementropy, Time Bandit, TimeWaiter Liturgist, Oxford Comma, and
A Greek Omelette with Fries and Tomato Juice, Hold-the-toast-please in the Order of Breakfast

Tempus fugit quasi sagita; muscas fructibus arieram volunt...

BlitzGirl: welcome to the future!

User avatar
lmjb1964
Posts: 2269
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:09 pm UTC
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

What is Megan raising? Maybe some kind of cover for the platform, in case it rains (or It rains), on the sea or off?
Image

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

User avatar
thirds
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:16 pm UTC
Location: Tenrec Burrow NP1254

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby thirds » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

On this, the Great Thirding Page of Time, I tilt my tri-pointy hat and wave to all Devoutees, after such a long Wait. I have been present from long before the beginning of Time, but not present in textual form. I bided my time to present my humble self, despite the urge to Spectecumulate, despite my growing TimeFaith, despite reading promises of Scisms and Knighting and Breakfasts and Hats and Titlular Accompaniments of all imaginable sorts available to the newly arrived. How could I run ahead of Time itself? So I heeded, and I waited. Now, with great joy, here I join the visible throngs of those waiting for It, if you find me acceptable.

I pray the mods doth grant me the blessing of approval so as to appear indeed on the Great Thirding Page of Time.

Now I must do the requisite post-first-post fasting in post-celebration, reading the travails of BlitzGirl in reverse. My only regret is that I have nothing in my past to offer her. That is, until such a future time as this post is recorded, upon the clicking of the Submit and the approval of the heavenly Mods, and the past-ward direction of these words collides with the future-ward direction of her quest. (In that future-past instance in which you might be reading this, BlitzGirl, I bow my head and raise my eyebrow in a comfy-yet-seductive manner)

User avatar
lmjb1964
Posts: 2269
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:09 pm UTC
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:26 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:What is Megan raising? Maybe some kind of cover for the platform, in case it rains (or It rains), on the sea or off?


So close to hitting the top of the NewPage!
Image

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:26 pm UTC

Spoiler:
kryton wrote:
treadman wrote:
kryton wrote:The psalm has been updated
<snip>
Leader: How big?
People: I don't know.
Leader: (silence)
People: Does it Rain on the Sea?
Leader: I don't know, if it does it seems like a waste.


It seems like the leader should be asking the questions. The people should always answer, "I don't know".


For a psalm, it is a recitation of the dialog as the dialog was given to us
But the ChronoCreed is in the form of question/answer

Do you believe in Time?
We believe in the One True Comic of Time.
Do you believe in the creator?
We believe in Randall, the creator of the one true comic, who causes Cueball and Megan to enter and leave at the appointed hours, to build or talk or swim according to his will, so that we may wait for it.
Do you believe in the End of Time?
We know not where goes the Time, but, We Wait for it.


But you could remove the "(silence)" of the leader and replace it with the "Rain on the Sea" question, and then the second "I don't know" falls back to the people.

EDIT: Ninja'd several posts above. Talk about Waiting For It too long...
Last edited by StratPlayer on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:30 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
histrion
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby histrion » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:26 pm UTC

So after kryton posted about the mobile site, and I deleted my iPhone's "i heart xkcd" app, I searched again in the App Store for xkcd and found a whole buncha xkcd-devoted apps! Anyone use any of them?
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests