1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Latent22

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Latent22 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:45 pm UTC

From the fact that they don't know if their are any other rivers or not. And that water falling on the sea is a waste. It is possible that they are in fact on an island with hills and possibly only one river ( that they have found so far anyway). Are they getting all the building supplies from a wrecked boat maybe? Do they have to drink the seminatedcoffeecancerbabies because it is the only liquid they can find on the island? Are they in fact building a raised house to keep them safe from local wildlife? Just some ideas anyway.

Edit: Also maybe if you are trapped on a deserted island together with no hope of rescue and you're Cueball and Megan then first thing that comes to mind is 'Why not build some sandcastles"
Edit2: The Trebuchet may have been also built as a weapon for defense and to hunt for food.
Last edited by Latent22 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:54 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:46 pm UTC

AUS wrote:Reading the last few pages is really freaking annoying. I get how people are accidentally copying the wrong link, I don't get how they're not NOTICING IT when they're posting that it's not a super long hash /rant.

Guilty, guilty, guilty! Thanks to Latent22 for beating me over the head with it. I have FTFM'ed all the offending posts. I was posting before being caught up in the thread, so didn't notice all the admonishments. Mea culpa. As punishment, I shall now subject myself to...THE COMFY CHAIR!!!
Last edited by spamjam on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:50 pm UTC

spamjam wrote:
AUS wrote:Reading the last few pages is really freaking annoying. I get how people are accidentally copying the wrong link, I don't get how they're not NOTICING IT when they're posting that it's not a super long hash /rant.

Guilty, guilty, guilty! Thanks to Latent22 for beating me over the head with it. I have FTFM'ed all the offending posts. As punishment, I shall now subject myself to...THE COMFY CHAIR!!!

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:00 am UTC

Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:02 am UTC

spamjam wrote:

Guilty, guilty, guilty! Thanks to Latent22 for beating me over the head with it. I have FTFM'ed all the offending posts. As punishment, I shall now subject myself to...THE COMFY CHAIR!!!

No, it's too unbearable. I shall suffer this punishment in your stead.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:04 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:From the fact that they don't know if their are any other rivers or not. And that water falling on the sea is a waste. It is possible that they are in fact on an island with hills and possibly only one river ( that they have found so far anyway). Are they getting all the building supplies from a wrecked boat maybe? Do they have to drink the seminatedcoffeecancerbabies because it is the only liquid they can find on the island? Are they in fact building a raised house to keep them safe from local wildlife? Just some ideas anyway.

Edit: Also maybe if you are trapped on a deserted island together with no hope of rescue and you're Cueball and Megan then first thing that comes to mind is 'Why not build some sandcastles"
Edit2: The Trebuchet may have been also built as a weapon for defense and to hunt for food.

That's the best explanation I've heard. It all makes sense now! :D
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:09 am UTC

Gonna make a 2nd level. How are they gonna get all that sand up there?

If it's gonna be with that one, tiny pale, out of manic frustration I might set my house on fire.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:12 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:
Latent22 wrote:From the fact that they don't know if their are any other rivers or not. And that water falling on the sea is a waste. It is possible that they are in fact on an island with hills and possibly only one river ( that they have found so far anyway). Are they getting all the building supplies from a wrecked boat maybe? Do they have to drink the seminatedcoffeecancerbabies because it is the only liquid they can find on the island? Are they in fact building a raised house to keep them safe from local wildlife? Just some ideas anyway.

Must be a deserted island with an IKEA... That seems pretty normal, IKEA is everywhere, after all. 8-)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

vvn

Postby vvn » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:13 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:In case anyone is interested: Water-level update.
Despite the brief increase the water rise rate remains pretty stable.

Has anyone compared the water rise to any kind of estimated time between frames. Might the water rise be constant, and the frame rate be variable?

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:15 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:

Hunting for food with a trebuchet1? Sounds a bit... challenging.

It'd also make for a great reality TV show on TLC.

1I never want to type that word again.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:18 am UTC

vvn wrote:

Has anyone compared the water rise to any kind of estimated time between frames. Might the water rise be constant, and the frame rate be variable?

I believe the "frame-rate" is wildly variable, simply according to what Randall wants to depict and when. But the tide seems to be accelerating, at first I thought it might climb logarithmically, but now it's probably fairly linear or sinusoidal.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:21 am UTC

cmyk wrote:
tman2nd wrote:

I don't think the trebuchet was for hunting.
mscha wrote:
tman2nd wrote:

Must be a deserted island with an IKEA... That seems pretty normal, IKEA is everywhere, after all. 8-)

Latent22 explained that.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:22 am UTC

cmyk wrote:
vvn wrote:

I believe the "frame-rate" is wildly variable, simply according to what Randall wants to depict and when. But the tide seems to be accelerating, at first I thought it might climb logarithmically, but now it's probably fairly linear or sinusoidal.

It still appears to be quite random. Sometimes, there's no change to the sea level at all when the apparent Inside time per newpix is large, and sometimes there's a visible change between sentences in a dialogue.
Green=added, red=removed.

ETfix image URL
Last edited by mscha on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:25 am UTC

cmyk wrote:
vvn wrote:

I have to phrase this carefully, lest it be viewed as heresy. I think in particular during the frames when no one was in sight, and the only change between frames was the rising fluid, more Time passed between NewPices, and we saw more rise in the sea. Maybe Kieryn could do one of those graphs with a coloured background for the periods with population < 1?

I'm still thinking hockey stick, for the curve.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:28 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
cmyk wrote:
vvn wrote:

I have to phrase this carefully, lest it be viewed as heresy. I think in particular during the frames when no one was in sight, and the only change between frames was the rising fluid, more Time passed between NewPices, and we saw more rise in the sea. Maybe Kieryn could do one of those graphs with a coloured background for the periods with population < 1?

But, how do we know that those frames have constant time?

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:30 am UTC

Spoiler:
cmyk wrote:
tman2nd wrote:

tman2nd wrote:I don't think the trebuchet was for hunting.

(neither did I)

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:31 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:
KarMann wrote:
cmyk wrote:
vvn wrote:

But, how do we know that those frames have constant time?

We certainly do not. That's part of the reason I'd like to see the graph with those times highlighted. If the slope is constant during those times, then it's likely that the time is constant, and the rise. It's possible the time and rise could change just right to cancel each other out, but rather less likely.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:32 am UTC

mscha wrote:It still appears to be quite random. Sometimes, there's no change to the sea level at all when the apparent Inside time per newpix is large, and sometimes there's a visible change between sentences in a dialogue.

They know each other well. They are comfortable with each other, and with silence. Perhaps there was actually a long silence between the sentences.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:43 am UTC

Megan is doing something at the bottom of the poles in the last two newpix. It doesn't look like she moved the rope. Maybe she's shoring up the foundation? Also, I'm glad Cueball decided to stand on a bucket this time to do whatever he's doing. Given his past clumsiness, balancing on the railings seems ill advised.

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:50 am UTC

Pulleys for MAOR SAND!

Called it :-)

ZombieLion

Postby ZombieLion » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:57 am UTC

I've noticed that a lot of people recently are posting the wrong image link. Was there some kind of change to the structure of the comic1 (during the recent server problems maybe?) or is it just a coincidence?

On topic: I have a new (loopist) end of comic theory. Perhaps they angered Randall, so were sentenced to keep building semencaffeinecancercrudeoilhelpimtrappedinauniversefactoryraptorbacononice castles, just to have Sisyphe come rolling down with his boulder and crush them (the castles, I mean). It would explain why they sometimes seem to just know what's happening (they can hear Randall but we can't) and the unpredictable physics (if you were a god punishing people, would you give them reliable physics? :twisted: )

1Is that Javascript new? :lol:
blowfishhootie wrote:This community has created a situation in which asking someone if they want semen with their caffeinated drink actually makes sense.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:59 am UTC

cmyk wrote:
tman2nd wrote:I don't think the trebuchet was for hunting.

(neither did I)

My point was that the trebuchet doesn't have to be for hunting for the theory to work.

EDIT: What's going on with my post?
EDIT2: And my sig.
EDIT3: And my avatar and information.

EDIT4:Fixed. :D
Last edited by tman2nd on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:53 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:00 am UTC

KarMann wrote: I have to phrase this carefully, lest it be viewed as heresy. I think in particular during the frames when no one was in sight, and the only change between frames was the rising fluid, more Time passed between NewPices, and we saw more rise in the sea. Maybe Kieryn could do one of those graphs with a coloured background for the periods with population < 1?

So the tide only rises when no one is looking at it?

The sea is made of Angels!

:shock:
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:07 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:EDIT: What's going on with my post?

It is most weird we must look to the page source for the answer probably

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:08 am UTC

moody7277 wrote:
KarMann wrote: I have to phrase this carefully, lest it be viewed as heresy. I think in particular during the frames when no one was in sight, and the only change between frames was the rising fluid, more Time passed between NewPices, and we saw more rise in the sea. Maybe Kieryn could do one of those graphs with a coloured background for the periods with population < 1?

Or it's in Copenhagen.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:08 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:My point was that the trebuchet doesn't have to be for hunting for the theory to work.

The hell? You're fading... from existence!

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:12 am UTC

cmyk wrote:
tman2nd wrote:My point was that the trebuchet doesn't have to be for hunting for the theory to work.

The hell? You're fading... from existence!

I go to quote this and I see text that you typed that isn't showing up. :shock:
EDIT: Never mind you must have changed it before I posted.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:18 am UTC

cmyk wrote:
moody7277 wrote:

Or it's in Copenhagen.

The interesting thing to me, is that the water level has risen above the barrier, but has not flowed around or through it. If it was sand, even if the barrier is a semi-circle or if the world really is 2 dimensional and not a 2d representation of a 3d world then the water would have flowed through it. What this means to me, is that this is proof that there are physics at play here in the Time World that are not of the 'external' world. Points of comparison may therefore be futile, but heck if i get a chance tomorrow I will see what other interpretations and graphs I can do. I love me some pointless data visualization.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

vvn

Postby vvn » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:22 am UTC

ZombieLion wrote:I've noticed that a lot of people recently are posting the wrong image link. Was there some kind of change to the structure of the comic1 (during the recent server problems maybe?) or is it just a coincidence?

New behavior: If I "Copy image URL", I get ".../time.png", if I "Open image in new tab", I get the hash.

Just tried that to confirm, and got the hash in Copy Image. Refreshed, and got time... Weirdeness.

Tried again, and all I can get is the hash. So, just check before you post? Everything is fixed now?

Changes in the javascript? The end of Time?

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:25 am UTC

Ok hypothesis: The rise in sea level is somehow proportional (or otherwise related) to the activity of the pair of them, like maybe to do with how much sand they are piling up. This would be a nice metaphor for manmade global warming or something like that, which is an idea that's been floated around. Hmm. float. hmm.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

vvn

Postby vvn » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:29 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:Ok hypothesis: The rise in sea level is somehow proportional (or otherwise related) to the activity of the pair of them, like maybe to do with how much sand they are piling up. This would be a nice metaphor for manmade global warming or something like that, which is an idea that's been floated around. Hmm. float. hmm.

I like the man made connection. Hadn't considered that kind of thing. It will disappoint me if the non-linear rising fluid isn't connected to something. Just not sure what as yet.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:32 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:Ok hypothesis: The rise in sea level is somehow proportional (or otherwise related) to the activity of the pair of them, like maybe to do with how much sand they are piling up. This would be a nice metaphor for manmade global warming or something like that, which is an idea that's been floated around. Hmm. float. hmm.

I had thought the same at some point a while ago too. Still not enough evidence to say one way or another, but yeh, the idea of borrowing from one to add to the other; there'll be a tipping point of diminishing returns and/or eventual collapse back to equilibrium... or to quote Glen Phillips: "Winter Pays for Summer".

RE: sea-level physics, I'm not getting too worked up over, since the characters confirmed the tide is accelerating, even more than usual, and... yeh, it's a comic. Sometimes it's necessary to forgo realism for visual communication.
Last edited by cmyk on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:37 am UTC

vvn wrote:
ZombieLion wrote:I've noticed that a lot of people recently are posting the wrong image link. Was there some kind of change to the structure of the comic1 (during the recent server problems maybe?) or is it just a coincidence?

New behavior: If I "Copy image URL", I get ".../time.png", if I "Open image in new tab", I get the hash.

Just tried that to confirm, and got the hash in Copy Image. Refreshed, and got time... Weirdeness.

Tried again, and all I can get is the hash. So, just check before you post? Everything is fixed now?

I always copy image and get the hash.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:41 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:I always copy image and get the hash.

So did I, right up until I didn't.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:42 am UTC

vvn wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3328210#p3328210
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

vvn

Postby vvn » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:45 am UTC

Yes. Just trying to provide additional data.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:56 am UTC

cmyk wrote:

I had thought the same at some point a while ago too. Still not enough evidence to say one way or another, but yeh, the idea of borrowing from one to add to the other; there'll be a tipping point of diminishing returns and/or eventual collapse back to equilibrium... or to quote Glen Phillips: "Winter Pays for Summer".

And as we know, Summer is the River, after all.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:01 am UTC

Raise it up!

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:01 am UTC

Spoiler:

edit: ninja'd

What are they doing with those two poles?! It's suspicious.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”