1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
udscbt
Cardinal
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:21 pm UTC
Location: Italy

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby udscbt » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:What happens if somebody with a position above Pope gets the top reply on a page? Do they get temporarily demoted, or does the Papacy go to the second reply?

The Pope is at the top of the Timewaiter Hierarchy, so that situation can't happen. If you're talking about things like Saint, those are only honorifics.
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

User avatar
Valarya
Posts: 975
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Nashville

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valarya » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:48 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:
Valarya wrote:<snip>.

Oh, ok. I thought you needed both. It seems that I will improve my Japanese in this thread in addition to English (not that I can say much more than "Good morning, my name is udscbt" in Japanese).


Maybe I'll improve my Japanese, too!! It wouldn't be the first bizarre thing that happened in the Thread of Time.... (I've been studying Japanese for 6 months and still can't say much more than you, hahah. Ohayou gozaimasu! anata wa nani wo kiteimasuka. itta koto ga wakarimasu ka
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Image

User avatar
Asthanius
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Asthanius » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:55 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:
Asthanius wrote:What happens if somebody with a position above Pope gets the top reply on a page? Do they get temporarily demoted, or does the Papacy go to the second reply?

The Pope is at the top of the Timewaiter Hierarchy, so that situation can't happen. If you're talking about things like Saint, those are only honorifics.

Well, what about the Anti-Pope?
Does anybody have any idea of what the hell energy is? It's the thing that, when applied to something, gives itself to the thing so that the thing can expend it, applying it to other things in multiple forms of it. What the hell is it?

User avatar
histrion
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby histrion » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:56 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:
udscbt wrote:
Asthanius wrote:What happens if somebody with a position above Pope gets the top reply on a page? Do they get temporarily demoted, or does the Papacy go to the second reply?

The Pope is at the top of the Timewaiter Hierarchy, so that situation can't happen. If you're talking about things like Saint, those are only honorifics.

Well, what about the Anti-Pope?


Wait, there's a -

*hides under his desk until the page is over*
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

User avatar
Asthanius
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Asthanius » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
Asthanius wrote:
udscbt wrote:
Asthanius wrote:What happens if somebody with a position above Pope gets the top reply on a page? Do they get temporarily demoted, or does the Papacy go to the second reply?

The Pope is at the top of the Timewaiter Hierarchy, so that situation can't happen. If you're talking about things like Saint, those are only honorifics.

Well, what about the Anti-Pope?


Wait, there's a -

*hides under his desk until the page is over*

According to the wiki, Wraithlord is the Anti-Pope.
Does anybody have any idea of what the hell energy is? It's the thing that, when applied to something, gives itself to the thing so that the thing can expend it, applying it to other things in multiple forms of it. What the hell is it?

susanoodin
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:53 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby susanoodin » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

Has really no one posted the newpix?
Image
Edit:
also: this is odd, should I be able to post pictures?
Last edited by susanoodin on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
SBN wrote: ..., but then maybe we don't know enough yet. (But that's what the start of finding out looks like.)

User avatar
macraw83
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Present (L:13)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby macraw83 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:
histrion wrote:
Asthanius wrote:
udscbt wrote:
Asthanius wrote:What happens if somebody with a position above Pope gets the top reply on a page? Do they get temporarily demoted, or does the Papacy go to the second reply?

The Pope is at the top of the Timewaiter Hierarchy, so that situation can't happen. If you're talking about things like Saint, those are only honorifics.

Well, what about the Anti-Pope?


Wait, there's a -

*hides under his desk until the page is over*

According to the wiki, Wraithlord is the Anti-Pope.


Well, if he ever becomes Pope, then massive a needle-pulled-thingsplosion will occur. We can only theorize about what will be left in its wake.

susanoodin wrote:Has really no one posted the newpix?
Spoiler:
Image

Edit:
also: this is odd, should I be able to post pictures?

maybe images don't count as links?

Or maybe you're just special. Don't tell anyone though.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

User avatar
udscbt
Cardinal
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:21 pm UTC
Location: Italy

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby udscbt » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
udscbt wrote:
Valarya wrote:<snip>.

Oh, ok. I thought you needed both. It seems that I will improve my Japanese in this thread in addition to English (not that I can say much more than "Good morning, my name is udscbt" in Japanese).


Maybe I'll improve my Japanese, too!! It wouldn't be the first bizarre thing that happened in the Thread of Time.... (I've been studying Japanese for 6 months and still can't say much more than you, hahah. Ohayou gozaimasu! anata wa nani wo kiteimasuka. itta koto ga wakarimasu ka

If Google Translate is right about the meaning of "kiteimasu" and "itta" and I still remember something:
一) こんばんは* [konbanwa]
二) 私はイタリア人です。あなたはですか [watashi wa itaria-jin desu. anatawa desuka]
三) いいえ、わかりません;グーゴートランスレイトはかります [iie, wakarimasen; gūgoru toransureito wakarimasu]

*: or お休みなさい [oyasumi nasai], it's 11 pm here
†: itaria = Italia = Italy
‡: Google Translate, I think... I always get the foreign words in katakana wrong
Last edited by udscbt on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

User avatar
histrion
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby histrion » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

Is Megan pondering, or stifling a yawn/burp/barf/hiccup/giggle?
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

User avatar
pdg
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:51 pm UTC
Location: Salem, Virginia
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby pdg » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
Asthanius wrote:
udscbt wrote:
Asthanius wrote:What happens if somebody with a position above Pope gets the top reply on a page? Do they get temporarily demoted, or does the Papacy go to the second reply?

The Pope is at the top of the Timewaiter Hierarchy, so that situation can't happen. If you're talking about things like Saint, those are only honorifics.

Well, what about the Anti-Pope?


Wait, there's a -

*hides under his desk until the page is over*


Also, #666.

THE NEWPIC OF THE BEAST! :shock:
We can't go back.
We don't understand everything yet.

User avatar
lmjb1964
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:09 pm UTC
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

I applaud Blitzgirl for her tireless effort in clearly delineating each Period of Time. I would like to propose that Time can also be divided into two Eras--The Castle Era and the Scaffolding Era. The two era are distinct not only in terms of building materials but also, I think, of mood. In the Castle Era, the two are relaxing on the beach and decide to build a castle, and a bigger castle. The whole thing, the recursive castles, the trebucheting of the castles, all seems to have a sense of play. And as Cueball says at the end, "It's been fun. . ."

For me, the Scaffolding Era seems to have a more ominous tone. The idea that they are young and inexperienced (and not very bright), and are just idly wondering about how the world works is interesting, and possible. However, I sense something deeper, and it's not just the ocean. The concern about the rising water level, the confusion about their surroundings, it all seems to have a lost and worried tone. Maybe I'm just imagining it (I am the Imaginator, after all) but the two sections seem to be very different.

Thoughts?
Image

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

User avatar
elementropy
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:42 pm UTC
Location: Tiffany's

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby elementropy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:27 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:Litany update, if it please you, Oh great Omelette elemtropy:
Spoiler:
The Litany of The Waits:
Leader: Later!
People: Bye!
Leader: Wanna swim?
People: Yeah!
Leader: Pffthh
People: *cough*
Leader: You ok?
People: Just got some in my mouth.
Leader: Any idea where the river is now?
People: Still pretty far out. It's actually retreated a little this week.
Leader: I don't understand what the sea is doing.
(All observe a meditative silence)
Leader: I don't think we can build it much taller than this.
People: It's been fun, though!
(The leader makes a sipping sound)
Leader: Pfffth Pthuh! Yuck.
People: I've had worse.
Leader: Guess one of us should climb down.
People: Yeah.
Leader: The sea is rising.
People: Yeah.
Leader: Sea level rises and falls, right? It's changed before.
People: Not this fast.
Leader: The river hasn't even reached the sea yet.
People: The river is small. The sea is big.
Leader: How big?
People: I don’t know.
(Several beats of silence are observed.)
Leader: Does it Rain on the Sea?
People: I don't know; if it does it seems like a waste.
Leader: It rains in the hills where the river comes from, right?
People: Sure.
Leader: Are there other rivers?
People: I don't know.
Leader: There must be other rivers.
People: Otherwise the sea would dry up.
Leader: Maybe it's coming out of the ground.
People: Does that happen?
Leader: I don't know.
(Another moment of silent reflection.)
Leader: I don't know how the sea works.
People: I don't know how anything works.


treadman wrote:<snip>
The leader has always asked the questions up to this point, so I think the latest should be:
Spoiler:
Leader: There must be other rivers.
People: Otherwise the sea would dry up.
Leader: Maybe it's coming out of the ground.
(Another moment of silent reflection.)
Leader: Does that happen?
People: I don't know.
Leader: I don't know how the sea works.
People: I don't know how anything works.


I can see either working well. You make a good point, treadman, but I must say that my instincts tell me that fhorn's placement of the silence is, perhaps, the better flow in the big picture. I think what my gut is saying is that the proper response to "Maybe it's coming out of the ground" is "Does that happen?", and that "I don't know" links well to "I don't know how the sea works" through the intervening silence as an elabouration on the same thought.
- quoth Elementropy, Time Bandit, TimeWaiter Liturgist, Oxford Comma, and
A Greek Omelette with Fries and Tomato Juice, Hold-the-toast-please in the Order of Breakfast

Tempus fugit quasi sagita; muscas fructibus arieram volunt...

BlitzGirl: welcome to the future!

User avatar
Latent22
Posts: 622
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:57 pm UTC
Location: NZ

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Latent22 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:28 pm UTC

I've been thinking and I think we should have a tournament for the Knights Temporal.

To test a Knights resolve and faith in Time we would pose a Quest and see which valiant Knight or would be Knight can complete it best.

Each Quest shall be the search for a deep truth held within the Forum of Time.

The Organizer of the Tournament will pose a Question and the Knight who can find the best answer based on quotes from the Forum's past wins. The winner will be decided by votes and while speed is a factor for judging getting the best answer is even more important. Entries must be posted before the next DONG. At which point voting can begin. Any Edits dated after the DONG will disqualify you. Ties will be decided by the earliest Post that is correct/best (with any edits counting as the new posting time)

Each Contestant will make only ONE entry POST and edit it if they find more evidence to support their claim.

Contestants may be asked to provide links to the original posts the quotes came from which can be given in another post after the DONG. Also made up quoting is not allowed.

The Organizer should give an indication of when the question will be posted and it should be posted a set time before the next DONG so that their is enough time to answer it.

Questions often can have multiple parts like asking where something came from and also what lead to its introduction. This means more than one quote may be needed to fully complete the Quest.

Entrants don't have to fully ordained Knights and winners may be granted honorary Knighthood or other titles and prizes.

Note: DONG refers to BONG/GONG/PONG/etc

User avatar
Eliram
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:58 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Eliram » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

Pope histrion wrote:
htom wrote:Have the mini-castles always been different sizes? Is this a (changing?) perspective thing, or just my old eyes?


Based on using the slider here, I don't think they've changed. But maybe I'm not answering the question you're asking.

ETA: W00t! I'm POPE now, y'all!

Seems like Pope histrion is right. Congrats!
It's about time.

User avatar
edo
Posts: 405
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:05 pm UTC
Location: ~TrApPeD iN mY PhOnE~

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby edo » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:39 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
cellocgw wrote:This can only lead to.... Hey it's Tuesday! Let's all jump over to what-if! ( XKCDADD)

What if we tried more Ritalin?

Ritalin doesn't work on XKCDADD, you need Randallin.
Last edited by edo on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

User avatar
macraw83
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Present (L:13)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby macraw83 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

edo wrote:
KarMann wrote:
cellocgw wrote:This can only lead to.... Hey it's Tuesday! Let's all jump over to what-if! ( XKCDADD)

What if we tried more Ritalin?

Ritalin doesn't work on XKCDADD, you neen Randallin.

What exactly would you take for xkOCD then?
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

User avatar
treadman
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby treadman » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:52 pm UTC

elementropy wrote:
fhorn wrote:Litany update, if it please you, Oh great Omelette elemtropy:
Spoiler:
The Litany of The Waits:
Leader: Later!
People: Bye!
Leader: Wanna swim?
People: Yeah!
Leader: Pffthh
People: *cough*
Leader: You ok?
People: Just got some in my mouth.
Leader: Any idea where the river is now?
People: Still pretty far out. It's actually retreated a little this week.
Leader: I don't understand what the sea is doing.
(All observe a meditative silence)
Leader: I don't think we can build it much taller than this.
People: It's been fun, though!
(The leader makes a sipping sound)
Leader: Pfffth Pthuh! Yuck.
People: I've had worse.
Leader: Guess one of us should climb down.
People: Yeah.
Leader: The sea is rising.
People: Yeah.
Leader: Sea level rises and falls, right? It's changed before.
People: Not this fast.
Leader: The river hasn't even reached the sea yet.
People: The river is small. The sea is big.
Leader: How big?
People: I don’t know.
(Several beats of silence are observed.)
Leader: Does it Rain on the Sea?
People: I don't know; if it does it seems like a waste.
Leader: It rains in the hills where the river comes from, right?
People: Sure.
Leader: Are there other rivers?
People: I don't know.
Leader: There must be other rivers.
People: Otherwise the sea would dry up.
Leader: Maybe it's coming out of the ground.
People: Does that happen?
Leader: I don't know.
(Another moment of silent reflection.)
Leader: I don't know how the sea works.
People: I don't know how anything works.


treadman wrote:<snip>
The leader has always asked the questions up to this point, so I think the latest should be:
Spoiler:
Leader: There must be other rivers.
People: Otherwise the sea would dry up.
Leader: Maybe it's coming out of the ground.
(Another moment of silent reflection.)
Leader: Does that happen?
People: I don't know.
Leader: I don't know how the sea works.
People: I don't know how anything works.


I can see either working well. You make a good point, treadman, but I must say that my instincts tell me that fhorn's placement of the silence is, perhaps, the better flow in the big picture. I think what my gut is saying is that the proper response to "Maybe it's coming out of the ground" is "Does that happen?", and that "I don't know" links well to "I don't know how the sea works" through the intervening silence as an elabouration on the same thought.


I like that the Leader asks the questions, but not so much that it should be a hard and fast rule. I agree with your gut: The People finally get concerned, asking their first question: "Does that happen?", with the Leader finally admitting for the first time, "I don't know." Pause. "I don't know how the sea works." The People lament, "I don't know how anything works", reiterating that they are followers and know even less than the Leader.

User avatar
fhorn
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fhorn » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:I've been thinking and I think we should have a tournament for the Knights Temporal.



Other Knights may be pleased to take up the challenge but I'm awfully busy right now, trying to deal with the ducks flying vegetables.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

User avatar
udscbt
Cardinal
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:21 pm UTC
Location: Italy

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby udscbt » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

Image
She is thinking... And now, time to coma.
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2117
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

Image
Back to work.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
thirds
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:16 pm UTC
Location: Tenrec Burrow NP1254

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby thirds » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

Wet, packed sand is over 2,000 kg/cubic meter [1]. Not sure how well they reinforced that structure...

[1]: http://www.aqua-calc.com/calculate/volume-to-weight

User avatar
Caswallon
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:04 pm UTC
Location: Seattle wa
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Caswallon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:21 pm UTC

thirds wrote:Wet, packed sand is over 2,000 kg/cubic meter [1]. Not sure how well they reinforced that structure...
[1]: http://www.aqua-calc.com/calculate/volume-to-weight

Well, considering that so far everything in the One True Comic has abided by all laws of physics, structural analysis, engineering, fluid dynamics, flavor profiles, dimensionality, general relativity, string theory, causality, thermodynamics, and general decency....

Needless to say I'm quite sure the structure is perfectly stable...
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1848
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

SBN wrote:Image
Back to work.


They seem to be making no efforts to continue holding back the sea, which implies (corroborated by their dialogue) that they have no knowledge of how high the sea will rise.

Metaphor for civilization seems to be working out still...their original structure (the old civilization) is about to be wiped out, so they're building up on stilts (away from the river valley) using more complex tools (buckets and pulleys). Maybe the "sea" itself is a metaphor for Time, and how older things are doomed for destruction but we can keep building up to escape Time's relentless force.
Image

User avatar
Davidy
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:18 am UTC

Intellect

Postby Davidy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:24 pm UTC

C: Does it rain on the sea?
M: I don't know.
C: If it does, it seems like a waste.
C: It rains in the hills where the river comes from, right?
M: Sure.
C: Are there other rivers?
M: I don't know.
C: There must be other rivers. Otherwise the sea would dry up.
M: Maybe it's coming out of the ground.
C: Does that happen?
M: I don't know.
M: I don't know how the sea works.
C: I don't know how anything works.
These two may have building abilities, but they're real dimwits.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

User avatar
chem1190c
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:59 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby chem1190c » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

Gee Willikers! It's been staring us in the face the whole time! How did we miss it.. "Time" isn't a metaphor for anything, it's actually an acronym for "Totally Immersive Marshmallow Eukaryotes" .. it all makes sense now.
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

User avatar
CatHectic
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:35 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby CatHectic » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

CatHectic wrote:Hola, Time travelers...

Another new enlistee, a fellow slogger through the entirety of the needle-pulled thing in Blitzgirl's wake, a sleepless patient who has passed through the Reckoning to join you in the cathectic future!

Greetings!


So, having said my hellos a couple of pages ago, I'm happy to be joining all you other kids in the sandbox. I know I had a few theories about where Time is going, but I kept thinking I should read ahead more before I dove in...350 pages later I finally caught up, all my theories disproved or forgotten along the way!

And just to show you how insane I have become, I've decided that something original I can contribute is a soundtrack for our trek -- I have chosen the title of Larghissimographer , and started to skim back through the thread (about 50 pages so far) to pick out all of the musical pieces that have been mentioned, and added them to a new page on the xkcd-time.wikia -- from the Main Page, follow the link to the xkcd Time Travel Mix!

In addition, I'm collecting the available tracks into a public playlist for anyone who has the Spotify client; see the wiki page for a link.

I'm sure there are many more Timely songs to be added to the playlist, but unless they add something to the overall discussion, cluttering up the thread with suggestions probably isn't desirable -- Spotify users can collaborate directly and add songs themselves (just ask, I'll Share the list), and anyone can add suggestions directly to the wiki page (or use the wiki's Comments section at the bottom of the page).

I've been enjoying listening to the eclectic pile of songs as I collect them, I hope you'll enjoy them too!
Your Larghissimographer, collector of the xkcd Time Travel Mix

Keep going, BlitzGirl the Next (that's you, Vytron! And you too, edo!): remember, tempo rubato, tempo di fulmineo! Please keep sending us news of your progress, with all your blitz class and blitz style...

User avatar
LoneMarauder
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:35 am UTC
Location: Birmingham, AL US

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby LoneMarauder » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:32 pm UTC

Should we wait for the animals to line up two by two?

boozledorf
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:54 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby boozledorf » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

That's sand in the bucket, right? Not water?

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6788
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:36 pm UTC

That's quite a huge change between the last two newpix. I don't think we've seen anything like this in the history of Time.
They've not only made a pulley, but also used it about 3 or 4 times.
(And in all that time, the sea level hasn't changed. Is it finally high tide?)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
histrion
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby histrion » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:43 pm UTC

mscha wrote:That's quite a huge change between the last two newpix. I don't think we've seen anything like this in the history of Time.
They've not only made a pulley, but also used it about 3 or 4 times.
(And in all that time, the sea level hasn't changed. Is it finally high tide?)


The sea level has changed some.
Attachments
tidechange.jpg
Courtesy http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/
tidechange.jpg (24.81 KiB) Viewed 8499 times
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

User avatar
chem1190c
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:59 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby chem1190c » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:45 pm UTC

Just realized I've been posting in this thread for nearly 20 "Outsider" days and countless Timeframes.. I have a much longer attention span than I would have anticipated at the outset of my journey through Time.
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

User avatar
cmyk
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:54 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cmyk » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:51 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
mscha wrote:That's quite a huge change between the last two newpix. I don't think we've seen anything like this in the history of Time.
They've not only made a pulley, but also used it about 3 or 4 times.
(And in all that time, the sea level hasn't changed. Is it finally high tide?)


The sea level has changed some.


Yeh, but only cuz Megan's totally peeing in it.



Kinda puts a different spin on Cueball tasting it now.
Image

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

User avatar
edo
Posts: 405
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:05 pm UTC
Location: ~TrApPeD iN mY PhOnE~

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby edo » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:55 pm UTC

Flado wrote:
Latent22 wrote:(many helpful things)

Thank you!
"semen" was somewhat to be expected; I was wondering more about the cancer and the babies - whether there was a link with the "meaning of Time" theories?


Cancer and Babies are references to the Mad Speculation that there was a secret message that one or the other or both were happening to Randall's wife.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

User avatar
Latent22
Posts: 622
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:57 pm UTC
Location: NZ

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Latent22 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
mscha wrote:That's quite a huge change between the last two newpix. I don't think we've seen anything like this in the history of Time.
They've not only made a pulley, but also used it about 3 or 4 times.
(And in all that time, the sea level hasn't changed. Is it finally high tide?)


The sea level has changed some.


We can also see that the castle is getting undermined a little. Something to keep an eye on!

Edit: If 1 N00b bumps this post I'll be Pope!
Last edited by Latent22 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:
histrion wrote:
mscha wrote:That's quite a huge change between the last two newpix. I don't think we've seen anything like this in the history of Time.
They've not only made a pulley, but also used it about 3 or 4 times.
(And in all that time, the sea level hasn't changed. Is it finally high tide?)


The sea level has changed some.


We can also see that the castle is getting undermined a little. Something to keep an eye on!

I'm almost sad to see their castles start to crumble. But they're raising sand up to the tower, to build a castle up above. So it's not all bad.
I'm in a very contemplative mood right now.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6788
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

Image
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
Latent22
Posts: 622
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:57 pm UTC
Location: NZ

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Latent22 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

Pope HAL9000 wrote:
Latent22 wrote:
histrion wrote:
mscha wrote:That's quite a huge change between the last two newpix. I don't think we've seen anything like this in the history of Time.
They've not only made a pulley, but also used it about 3 or 4 times.
(And in all that time, the sea level hasn't changed. Is it finally high tide?)


The sea level has changed some.


We can also see that the castle is getting undermined a little. Something to keep an eye on!

I'm almost sad to see their castles start to crumble. But they're raising sand up to the tower, to build a castle up above. So it's not all bad.
I'm in a very contemplative mood right now.


Yeah but think about what happens if they decide to do a copy of the castles below. will they have to slowly erode the copy over time after they have finished?

Maybe they can take up a bucket of semencoffeecancerbabies up and replicate the river/sea up there as well...

Then once they have done up there and they just have a slope of wet sand up the top they can make small stick figures of themselves and do a stop motion animation of them building castles! Camera zooms in and we start looping. Getting smaller and smaller each time. With tiny stick figures animating even smaller ones etc.
Last edited by Latent22 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:09 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
partingLance
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:49 pm UTC
Location: never off the boat

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby partingLance » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

treadman wrote:
[snippage]
The leader has always asked the questions up to this point, so I think the latest should be:

Leader: There must be other rivers.
People: Otherwise the sea would dry up.
Leader: Maybe it's coming out of the ground.
(Another moment of silent reflection.)
Leader: Does that happen?
People: I don't know.
Leader: I don't know how the sea works.
People: I don't know how anything works.


The whole river-sea dialogue reminded me immediately of:

"All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again."

But then, that whole book is about Time (howbeit that some here would call it heresy, being a Loopist sermon par excellence).
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

User avatar
cmyk
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:54 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cmyk » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:06 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Image


Oh, god.., she's gonna use the rope as a noose to hang herself!

"C: You're waiting for a train. A train that'll take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you. But you can't know for sure. Yet it doesn't matter. Now, tell me why?
M: Because you'll be together!

M: You're infecting my mind!
C: I was trying to save you.
M: You betrayed me, but you can still make amends. You can still keep your promise. We can still be together, right here. In the world we built together. "
Image

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

User avatar
fhorn
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fhorn » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:06 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:
treadman wrote:
[snippage]
The leader has always asked the questions up to this point, so I think the latest should be:

Leader: There must be other rivers.
People: Otherwise the sea would dry up.
Leader: Maybe it's coming out of the ground.
(Another moment of silent reflection.)
Leader: Does that happen?
People: I don't know.
Leader: I don't know how the sea works.
People: I don't know how anything works.


The whole river-sea dialogue reminded me immediately of:

"All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again."

But then, that whole book is about Time (howbeit that some here would call it heresy, being a Loopist sermon par excellence).


Plus, "thither."
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: pex and 50 guests