1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby manvandmaan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:48 pm UTC

ggh wrote:So, now we have to wait for I.T.?

This!
Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir!
Godspeed to all the OTT travelers! I am one of you now!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)
- The Croissant Man (or Period Guy, whatevs)

Bytes

Postby Bytes » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:57 pm UTC

Maybe the outside world has sped up again and now 2 hours can pass where only one did before?
Sir Bytes, Waître d' of the Grains and Guardian of the Second Flag from the Right
Kethryes wrote:The Time when the future meets the past in the present is aproaching! Repent!

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:57 pm UTC

manvandmaan wrote:
Asthanius wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I applaud Blitzgirl for her tireless effort in clearly delineating each Period of Time. I would like to propose that Time can also be divided into two Eras--The Castle Era and the Scaffolding Era. The two era are distinct not only in terms of building materials but also, I think, of mood. In the Castle Era, the two are relaxing on the beach and decide to build a castle, and a bigger castle. The whole thing, the recursive castles, the trebucheting of the castles, all seems to have a sense of play. And as Cueball says at the end, "It's been fun. . ."

For me, the Scaffolding Era seems to have a more ominous tone. The idea that they are young and inexperienced (and not very bright), and are just idly wondering about how the world works is interesting, and possible. However, I sense something deeper, and it's not just the ocean. The concern about the rising water level, the confusion about their surroundings, it all seems to have a lost and worried tone. Maybe I'm just imagining it (I am the Imaginator, after all) but the two sections seem to be very different.

Thoughts?

The problem I see with this is that Time can also be divided into the Pre and Post-Flood Era. The scaffolding is present in both.

You can see into the future? :o

The flooding started once the water breached the wall Megan made.
Does anybody have any idea of what the hell energy is? It's the thing that, when applied to something, gives itself to the thing so that the thing can expend it, applying it to other things in multiple forms of it. What the hell is it?

davidy22

Postby davidy22 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

So, is there no image for 9:00 today?

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

Is this the end of the world? Have we come to the end of Time???
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

Jafloi

Postby Jafloi » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

Or are we starting on ultralongpix?
buffygirl wrote:Jafloi, [...] I do hereby annoint you as Cardinal Jafloi of the Chicken Salad Sandwich, mayo optional.
...and Lightscribe (woodworker of time)

BlitzGirl: "wait fast, but wait well" *And good luck with the rest of your journey!!*You made it! Welcome!

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

davidy22 wrote:So, is there no image for 9:00 today?

9:00 what? UTC? Sure there was.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:
Asthanius wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I applaud Blitzgirl for her tireless effort in clearly delineating each Period of Time. I would like to propose that Time can also be divided into two Eras--The Castle Era and the Scaffolding Era. The two era are distinct not only in terms of building materials but also, I think, of mood. In the Castle Era, the two are relaxing on the beach and decide to build a castle, and a bigger castle. The whole thing, the recursive castles, the trebucheting of the castles, all seems to have a sense of play. And as Cueball says at the end, "It's been fun. . ."

For me, the Scaffolding Era seems to have a more ominous tone. The idea that they are young and inexperienced (and not very bright), and are just idly wondering about how the world works is interesting, and possible. However, I sense something deeper, and it's not just the ocean. The concern about the rising water level, the confusion about their surroundings, it all seems to have a lost and worried tone. Maybe I'm just imagining it (I am the Imaginator, after all) but the two sections seem to be very different.

Thoughts?

The problem I see with this is that Time can also be divided into the Pre and Post-Flood Era. The scaffolding is present in both.

Isnt that a bit presumptious to call that a "flood"?
Maybe it's just high tide?
Since they don't seem to know anything about their surroundings or how they work, maybe they arrived on the beach during low tide (which would explain the wet sand they used for building the sand castle) and then noticed the water was rising.

Let's just Wait For It and see!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)

treadman

Postby treadman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

Spoiler:
manvandmaan wrote:
Asthanius wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:
Asthanius wrote:

Thoughts?

Isnt that a bit presumptious to call that a "flood"?
Maybe it's just high tide?
Since they don't seem to know anything about their surrounding or how they work, maybe they arrived on the beach during low tide (which would explain the wet sand they used for building the sand castle) and then noticed the water was rising.

Let's just Wait For It and see!

I agree. "flood" is a bit much. We can call it a flood when things start getting washed away.

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

The sandcastle seems to be eroding far too quickly (based on the concurrent event of Megan swinging and falling which couldn't have been more than thirty seconds) to jsut be high tide. Additionally, I've never experienced a high tide that can dig into something that appears so structurally-sound (When Megan fell, she only disrupted what she hit. From my experience with sanndcastles, destroying one part will affect another).
Does anybody have any idea of what the hell energy is? It's the thing that, when applied to something, gives itself to the thing so that the thing can expend it, applying it to other things in multiple forms of it. What the hell is it?

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

A bit off-topic for this thread (there's another one for that), but the reason we're not getting any new images might be that Randall was arrested because of this...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:36 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:Ok everyone there is a cool new feature in The Book of Time. Go to any page (except the last few as I haven't updated them yet) and there is a link at the bottom that takes you to that newpix's point in the Forum thread. So if you know the newpix number you want to investigate you can go to that page in the book of time and then use the link to get there quickly without having to search through the forum. Also this is useful if you want to edit a Book of Time page and want to see what was talked about at that Time to know what to add.

OH MY GOD YOU ARE THE BEST
Edit: the link to page one of the forum (from the book of time) is not there, instead, I see a wall of 'expression error: unexpected = operator.' The others all seem to work.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

Time has come!

silent_death

Postby silent_death » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:40 pm UTC

I´m worried...there still havn´t be a newpix for this hour has there?
- former Expecto Space Bishop Temporas of the Church of Eastern unorthodox Timewaiters

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:40 pm UTC

XonqNopp wrote:Time has come!

Whew! Life goes on ... for now.

Edit: doesn't look like we missed a frame, the difference between the last two pix isn't that big. So, it appears that the Outside had temporarily slowed down by a factor of about 2.6, will (hopefully) speed up drastically for one newpix (assuming it comes at the top of the hour again), and finally settle back at 1 hour per newpix.
Last edited by mscha on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:41 pm UTC

silent_death wrote:I´m worried...there still havn´t be a newpix for this hour has there?

Oh, sorry, I should have said: Bong, Dong, Gong, Pong, Kong...

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:41 pm UTC

Don't think it's been pointed out, but since Megan's tumble, the central tower (with the recursion) is tilted downwards on the right side, as if it slided. Which makes sense, for wet sand.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:45 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Don't think it's been pointed out, but since Megan's tumble, the central tower (with the recursion) is tilted downwards on the right side, as if it slided. Which makes sense, for wet sand.

Yeah, and in this Newpix the water is not completely flat, maybe something will happen in some Time...

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:45 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Don't think it's been pointed out, but since Megan's tumble, the central tower (with the recursion) is tilted downwards on the right side, as if it slided. Which makes sense, for wet sand.

Check abronwood, it hasn't

histrion

Postby histrion » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:46 pm UTC

mscha wrote:A bit off-topic for this thread (there's another one for that), but the reason we're not getting any new images might be that Randall was arrested because of this...

I hope to God Randall that you're joking.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:47 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:The sandcastle seems to be eroding far too quickly (based on the concurrent event of Megan swinging and falling which couldn't have been more than thirty seconds) to jsut be high tide. Additionally, I've never experienced a high tide that can dig into something that appears so structurally-sound (When Megan fell, she only disrupted what she hit. From my experience with sanndcastles, destroying one part will affect another).

But, in the Time it took the water to rise a few 10 centimeters, they were able to build a massive SandCastle (even destroying and rebuilding parts) and also a two story scaffolding with more SandCastles!

Also earlier, the water rise was stopped for quite a while by a simple dyke, presumably made out of the same material as the Castle.

I think that part of the Castle that is destroyed now is just structuraly weak. It crumbled in the beginning too, when the water was still far away from it.
Let's not forget it was Cueball who repaired it and he's not the best SandCastle builder out of the two.

So I'm keeping it on High Tide, for now...
Last edited by manvandmaan on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:52 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:47 pm UTC

No change on the right side of the tower. Comparison of two frames, before and after the tumble:

ETfix image URL
Last edited by mscha on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:50 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
mscha wrote:A bit off-topic for this thread (there's another one for that), but the reason we're not getting any new images might be that Randall was arrested because of this...

I hope to God Randall that you're joking.

Me too...
And since we're getting images (or at least an image) again, it looks like i was. (whew)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:51 pm UTC

B,G,D+ong again!!!

What is Lord Randall doing??

EDIT: I'm a Ninja :mrgreen:
Last edited by XonqNopp on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:52 pm UTC

Flotter wrote:

Check abronwood, it hasn't

Ah, you're right. Didn't realize it was just following the slope of the beach. Also, the loss of the far left edge made the angle seem sharper.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:52 pm UTC

Edit: Ninja'd. (Weird, I could've sworn it wasn't there yet, even after my post.)
Spoiler:
Another newpix... what the Randall is going on??
(Perhaps catching up for the lost hour?)
Last edited by mscha on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:55 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Another newpix... what the Randall is going on??

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
The dead rising from the grave!
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:56 pm UTC

Now I'm confused. Does Randall not have the newpix automated?

Wait. Why is Megan rebuilding that part of the sandcastle? Unless...

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:59 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:

Now I'm confused. Does Randall not have the newpix automated?

Maybe the server still occasionally hiccups, and he's checking up on it every now and then. Either that, or he's drastically upped the newpix rate, in which case we should all bid farewell to what shreds of Outside lives we still have.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

Hopefully back on our regular schedule.
Last edited by mscha on Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

silent_death

Postby silent_death » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

Time is behaving weird! Its gone all wibbly wobbly! We are all going to die! THE END IS NIGH quick! Put all your Donations in our Collection Plate before they are gone! Its the only way to be safe!
- former Expecto Space Bishop Temporas of the Church of Eastern unorthodox Timewaiters

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

silent_death wrote:Time is behaving weird! Its gone all wibbly wobbly! We are all going to die! THE END IS NIGH quick! Put all your Donations in our Collection Plate before they are gone! Its the only way to be safe!

Do you accept BitCoins?

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

Maybe this NewPic was early to compensate for the last NewPix being late. Still, for those of us who have adapted our biorhythms to the new Time, these fluctuations are difficult to cope with.

histrion

Postby histrion » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:
silent_death wrote:Time is behaving weird! Its gone all wibbly wobbly! We are all going to die! THE END IS NIGH quick! Put all your Donations in our Collection Plate before they are gone! Its the only way to be safe!

Do you accept BitCoins?

:lol: :D

ETA: Oops, I seem to have popified myself again. There should probably be a rule against being Pope twice in a 24-hour period.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:

Do you accept BitCoins?

I bought tons of BitCoins back when they were a few cents each. I can afgord to do this forever.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
Asthanius wrote:

Do you accept BitCoins?

:lol: :D

ETA: Oops, I seem to have popified myself again. There should probably be a rule against being Pope twice in a 24-hour period.

Does that make me Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer for a page?

Sorry for double-post, but I don't want to address an important topic via edit.
(edit for ordering)

silent_death

Postby silent_death » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:12 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:

Do you accept BitCoins?

Of course we do! We are a very inclusive bunch! Holding out digital Collection Plate

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:15 pm UTC

mscha wrote:[spoiler]

No change on the right side of the tower. Comparison of two frames, before and after the tumble:[/qpoiler]
[img /img]

Could anyone gen together something so that you could time the frame number or time&date of two frames and automatically produce these red green images? I'm not computer savvy so no idea if it would work.

Also, long time lurker, short time registrererer, and had to post for The one true comic. All hail Pope/Mope/Mome/Pome Blitzgirl (i refuse to acknowledge the papacy of chem1190c)

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

SPACKlick wrote:
mscha wrote:[spoiler]

No change on the right side of the tower. Comparison of two frames, before and after the tumble:[/qpoiler]
[img /img]

Could anyone gen together something so that you could time the frame number or time&date of two frames and automatically produce these red green images? I'm not computer savvy so no idea if it would work.

Also, long time lurker, short time registrererer, and had to post for The one true comic. All hail Pope/Mope/Mome/Pome Blitzgirl (i refuse to acknowledge the papacy of chem1190c)

mscha has been making a lot of the comparison images, they may be able to help you.

Also, I officially declare myself Pope-for-a-Newpage, if histrion is willing to abdicate the title.

histrion

Postby histrion » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

Usurp away, HAL.

("HAL's hat is a monolilth - your argument is invalid")

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”