1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HAL9000
Not Red

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:27 pm UTC

histrion wrote:Usurp away, HAL.

("HAL's hat is a monolilth - your argument is invalid")

It's certainly tall enough to be a Pope hat.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:33 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:
histrion wrote:How do you pronounce "BlitzGirl?"

HE-RO.

You mean I've been pronouncing my own name wrong this whole time?!

Yes.
But it's OK! Here, have a Croissant!
Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir!
Godspeed to all the OTT travelers! I am one of you now!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)
- The Croissant Man (or Period Guy, whatevs)

enumerated powers

Postby enumerated powers » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:44 pm UTC

Someone asked a few frames ago what was Cueball building on the right end of the platform, and now he's making it taller...

I speculate it is a 'barrier' to the sea like the little one Megan built at the shoreline, in case the level rises that high.

That really doesn't work well unless their world is really two-dimensional, but we've seen these characters seem to be unclear on how stuff works.

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:47 pm UTC

enumerated powers wrote:Someone asked a few frames ago what was Cueball building on the right end of the platform, and now he's making it taller...

I speculate it is a 'barrier' to the sea like the little one Megan built at the shoreline, in case the level rises that high.

That really doesn't work well unless their world is really two-dimensional, but we've seen these characters seem to be unclear on how stuff works.

I don't think you understand: The water will never rise that high. Look at Megan. She's rebuilding the sandcastle, isn't she? Now, they both know that the water is rising, but they don't know how far it will rise. If Megan was unsure of whether or not the water will overtake the sandcastle, why would she waste time rebuilding it?

Because Megan is continuing to build, she is confident that the water will not destroy the sandcastle.

At least, this is my theory.
Does anybody have any idea of what the hell energy is? It's the thing that, when applied to something, gives itself to the thing so that the thing can expend it, applying it to other things in multiple forms of it. What the hell is it?

histrion

Postby histrion » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:49 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:
enumerated powers wrote:Someone asked a few frames ago what was Cueball building on the right end of the platform, and now he's making it taller...

I don't think you understand: The water will never rise that high. Look at Megan. She's rebuilding the sandcastle, isn't she? Now, they both know that the water is rising, but they don't know how far it will rise. If Megan was unsure of whether or not the water will overtake the sandcastle, why would she waste time rebuilding it?

Because Megan is continuing to build, she is confident that the water will not destroy the sandcastle.

Because nobody's ever confident and wrong at the same time. :wink:
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
Asthanius wrote:

But think about it. Megan admitted that she doesn't know how the sea works. If she doesn't know how it works but continues to build, she must know something about the sea, possibly how high it can rise.
Does anybody have any idea of what the hell energy is? It's the thing that, when applied to something, gives itself to the thing so that the thing can expend it, applying it to other things in multiple forms of it. What the hell is it?

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:56 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:Could anyone gen together something so that you could time the frame number or time&date of two frames and automatically produce these red green images? I'm not computer savvy so no idea if it would work.

mscha has been making a lot of the comparison images, they may be able to help you.

FWIW, here's the Perl script I'm using. You'll need to install some non-standard Perl modules from CPAN, and have the images in the current directory, preferably with increasing file names (I use xkcd_time_20130417_1500.png for the latest image, from 15:00 UTC today).
Usage is then:
xkcd_comp first.png second.png
or just:
xkcd_comp image.png
if you want to compare an image with its predecessor.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:
histrion wrote:
Spoiler:
Asthanius wrote:

But think about it. Megan admitted that she doesn't know how the sea works. If she doesn't know how it works but continues to build, she must know something about the sea, possibly how high it can rise.

What I am more worried about, is if the IKEA/Hardware Store/Lumberyard/Really well stocked corner market located to the left of the frame has flood insurance?
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

histrion

Postby histrion » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:
histrion wrote:
Asthanius wrote:

I disagree. "I don't know anything about X, but I can't imagine it would ever Y," is a more common mistake than you'd think.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

Whew, the Outside is definitely back to its regular speed, one h/np.

Edit: for those of us who need to fix their image collection after the wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff in the past few hours, here are the most recent URLs:
Last edited by mscha on Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
Asthanius wrote:
histrion wrote:
Asthanius wrote:

I disagree. "I don't know anything about X, but I can't imagine it would ever Y," is a more common mistake than you'd think.

Okay, abandoning my theory for a much better one: Misconceptions in xkcd tend to result in really cool things. Therefore, Megan's misconception will likely result in a really cool thing.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:
<snip>

Foolishly/bravely/blindly trying to hold on to what's familiar in the face of certain onslaught is part and parcel of the human spirit.

Part of me thinks that the semenatedcaffinebabbycancerwater will continue to steadily rise, washing over the original castle, the first scaffold level, and each higher level they continue to build until, at the End of Time, only a solid black NewPix remains, filled entirely with reconstituted Soilent Black Pixels of semenatedicecancerbabysand:

Spoiler:
Last edited by StratPlayer on Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:Could anyone gen together something so that you could time the frame number or time&date of two frames and automatically produce these red green images? I'm not computer savvy so no idea if it would work.

mscha has been making a lot of the comparison images, they may be able to help you.

FWIW, here's the Perl script I'm using. You'll need to install some non-standard Perl modules from CPAN, and have the images in the current directory, preferably with increasing file names (I use xkcd_time_20130417_1500.png for the latest image, from 15:00 UTC today).
Usage is then:
or just:
xkcd_comp image.png

I'm surprised no one has created a client side javascript, or maybe a light php version of this to embed in some page? Doesn't seem like it would be too difficult, but then again I'm not exactly jumping on this myself :)
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:
mscha wrote:[spoiler]
HAL9000 wrote:Don't think it's been pointed out, but since Megan's tumble, the central tower (with the recursion) is tilted downwards on the right side, as if it slided. Which makes sense, for wet sand.

No change on the right side of the tower. Comparison of two frames, before and after the tumble:[/qpoiler]
[img /img]

Could anyone gen together something so that you could time the frame number or time&date of two frames and automatically produce these red green images? I'm not computer savvy so no idea if it would work.

Also, long time lurker, short time registrererer, and had to post for The one true comic. All hail Pope/Mope/Mome/Pome Blitzgirl (i refuse to acknowledge the papacy of chem1190c)

Also, I officially declare myself Pope-for-a-Newpage, if histrion is willing to abdicate the title.

I salute the Pope-of-the-moment HAL9000!

ETA: Catching up on the NewPages I'd missed and I'm very glad to see that Megan didn't kick the bucket during her fall!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:But think about it. Megan admitted that she doesn't know how the sea works. If she doesn't know how it works but continues to build, she must know something about the sea, possibly how high it can rise.

Because nobody ever builds sandcastles unless they're sure they will survive the tide? Even if the seamen keeps rising at the current rate, that part of the castle will last quite a while yet, so why not rebuild? All it shows is that Megan has no reason to expect an imminent tsunami.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
Asthanius wrote:But think about it. Megan admitted that she doesn't know how the sea works. If she doesn't know how it works but continues to build, she must know something about the sea, possibly how high it can rise.

Because nobody ever builds sandcastles unless they're sure they will survive the tide? Even if the seamen keeps rising at the current rate, that part of the castle will last quite a while yet, so why not rebuild? All it shows is that Megan has no reason to expect an imminent tsunami.

Can we expect a tsunami? That'd be kind of awesome.

silent_death

Postby silent_death » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:

What I am actually much more surprised about is how fast the Castle erodes because of the incoming tide....the very narrow (possibly infinitly into 2D space reaching) dike she built did hold up the water for a very long time, and the castlewalls seem to be crumbling as soon as the water touches them.
This definitly tells us that the dike must have been made out of a different material.
- former Expecto Space Bishop Temporas of the Church of Eastern unorthodox Timewaiters

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:

Usage is then:
or just:
xkcd_comp image.png

I'm surprised no one has created a client side javascript, or maybe a light php version of this to embed in some page? Doesn't seem like it would be too difficult, but then again I'm not exactly jumping on this myself :)

They have... kinda: http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Related_Software/Games

thevicente

Postby thevicente » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

I see this thread keeps getting posts. This thing hasn't ended yet? its been what 3 weeks? wow. I intend to look at on of the gifs when it ends or not, whichever comes first.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:22 pm UTC

silent_death wrote:
Asthanius wrote:
silent_death wrote:Time is behaving weird! Its gone all wibbly wobbly! We are all going to die! THE END IS NIGH quick! Put all your Donations in our Collection Plate before they are gone! Its the only way to be safe!

Do you accept BitCoins?

Of course we do! We are a very inclusive bunch! Holding out digital Collection Plate

We take very generously! *places a piece of lint, some chaptstick, 17 pennies and a crepe in the Collection plate* People tend to follow by example..
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

silent_death

Postby silent_death » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

thevicente wrote:I see this thread keeps getting posts. This thing hasn't ended yet? its been what 3 weeks? wow. I intend to look at on of the gifs when it ends or not, whichever comes first.

Looking at a so called "gif" of it will never capture the pure beauty of it! You have to experience it yourself....come, join us, it is not too late!
- former Expecto Space Bishop Temporas of the Church of Eastern unorthodox Timewaiters

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:27 pm UTC

silent_death wrote:
thevicente wrote:I see this thread keeps getting posts. This thing hasn't ended yet? its been what 3 weeks? wow. I intend to look at on of the gifs when it ends or not, whichever comes first.

Looking at a so called "gif" of it will never capture the pure beauty of it! You have to experience it yourself....come, join us, it is not too late!

Although it's a bit too late for us......

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:31 pm UTC

silent_death wrote:

We have cookies1! :D

1semencancercoffeebabbycookies of course.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:35 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:

There are sailors involved now? :o
Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir!
Godspeed to all the OTT travelers! I am one of you now!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)
- The Croissant Man (or Period Guy, whatevs)

Montov

Postby Montov » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:36 pm UTC

Is that a minaret? Do we need to elect an Ayatollah now?

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:37 pm UTC

Time continues in it's own Time, at it's own pace, as Lord Randall hath decreed. We can but Wait For It.

Trying to experience Time after the fact through a gif would be like trying to experience skydiving by reading about it.

You are welcome to join us in the Wait! Come! I'll even offer you a tune to entice you:

"Come hear Lord Randall's Band*, playing to the tide
Come with me or go alone
He's come to take his children home

IT's the same story the crow told me, IT's the only one he knows
Like the morning sun you come, and like the wind you go
Ain't no Time to hate, barely Time to Wait
Wo-oh, what I want to know, where does the Time go?

I live in a silver mine and I call it beggar's tomb
I got me a violin and I beg you call the tune
Anybody's choice, I can hear your voice
Wo-oh, what I want to know, how does the song go?

Come hear Lord Randall's Band, by the river side
Got some things to talk about
Here beside the rising tide..."

*With apologies to Robert Hunter & Jerry Garcia -- HERE'Sa link to the real one as penance.

Jafloi

Postby Jafloi » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

If you had to pick just one timeframe to symbolise the whole of the One True Comic, witch would it be? I need just that for a outside-originated project, but can not decide witch to use... preferably one before NP 124, for the simplicity. Can you help?
buffygirl wrote:Jafloi, [...] I do hereby annoint you as Cardinal Jafloi of the Chicken Salad Sandwich, mayo optional.
...and Lightscribe (woodworker of time)

BlitzGirl: "wait fast, but wait well" *And good luck with the rest of your journey!!*You made it! Welcome!

silent_death

Postby silent_death » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

Jafloi wrote:If you had to pick just one timeframe to symbolise the whole of the One True Comic, witch would it be? I need just that for a outside-originated project, but can not decide witch to use... preferably one before NP 124, for the simplicity. Can you help?

I think it should be the first Frame...not because of the frame itself, but because of the promise it holds. With our current knowledge, this first frame is very powerful...it does not contain anything which is passed, it contains the future, it contains all the possibilites where it might lead, all the different futures and options - Together with the phrase, this oh-so simple sentence "wait for it" it is a promise that there will be something, we do not know what yet, it could be anything - this is the essence of the One True Comic.

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:48 pm UTC

Jafloi wrote:If you had to pick just one timeframe to symbolise the whole of the One True Comic, witch would it be? I need just that for a outside-originated project, but can not decide witch to use... preferably one before NP 124, for the simplicity. Can you help?

NP 107. Even after the fall, Cueball gets back up and immediately begins to rebuild. He knows that Megan will return soon, and he does not wish for her to come back to a destroyed castle they worked on together.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

The final one -- It's awesome! Just Wait For It...

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

The first frame.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

NP 52 http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Frame

Spoiler:

They think it's all over... it ISN'T now....

histrion

Postby histrion » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:54 pm UTC

I vote for frame 58. It's got both M&C, and M is climbing on top of what they've built so far, which hints that they're going to be building something big, something they're committed to.

Plus C is totally checking out her butt.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

my favorite, is NP 78 -- because Cueball is totally checking out Megan's ass. *zing*

Spoiler:

EDIT:
histrion wrote:Plus C is totally checking out her butt.

Great minds!

Also, as first-post on a new page, I now become PFAP (pope for a page) for the TimeWaiters, but am also self-proclaimed anti-pope of the Eastern Unorthodox's. I don't think Time could have ever been ready for this...
Last edited by Valarya on Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:06 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:59 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Don't think it's been pointed out, but since Megan's tumble, the central tower (with the recursion) is tilted downwards on the right side, as if it slided. Which makes sense, for wet sand.

No change on the right side of the tower. Comparison of two frames, before and after the tumble:[/qpoiler]
[img /img]

Could anyone gen together something so that you could time the frame number or time&date of two frames and automatically produce these red green images? I'm not computer savvy so no idea if it would work.

Also, long time lurker, short time registrererer, and had to post for The one true comic. All hail Pope/Mope/Mome/Pome Blitzgirl (i refuse to acknowledge the papacy of chem1190c)

Also, I officially declare myself Pope-for-a-Newpage, if histrion is willing to abdicate the title.

ETA: Catching up on the NewPages I'd missed and I'm very glad to see that Megan didn't kick the bucket during her fall!

*tips hat*
For my first papal decree, I mandate that everyone sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.
EDIT: Damn, too late!
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

HAL, unfortunately, you're no longer Pope.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

Holy Croce
Spoiler:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:HAL, unfortunately, you're no longer Pope.

Though that is true, I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.
Edit: enjoy your time as Pope, Valarya!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:
SPACKlick wrote:

[img /img]

*tips hat*
For my first papal decree, I mandate that everyone sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.
EDIT: Damn, too late!

The glorious memories of your mighty deeds during your Papal reign shall live for all Time!

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:04 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Asthanius wrote:HAL, unfortunately, you're no longer Pope.

Though that is true, I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.
Edit: enjoy your time as Pope, Valarya!

Then why don't I trust you?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”