1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

airdrik

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby airdrik » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
mscha wrote:Sea level rise, and castle crumbling, since just after the sea wall collapsed, some 16newpix ago.
Time_sea_level_rise_20130417_1100.png

(As always, red removed, green added.)

Why is the castle being under cut by the under current when Megan's Nub wasn't?

Difference in construction. The sandcastle was built to have a nice appearance and was not created to withstand the coming of the tide. The nub/dyke/whatever was built to hold back the tide (for a period of Time).

Or in other words, because Lord Randall dictated it to work that way.

histrion

Postby histrion » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

It looks like C's giving the sandpile a backrub. And M doesn't look pleased about it.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
Asthanius wrote:But think about it. Megan admitted that she doesn't know how the sea works. If she doesn't know how it works but continues to build, she must know something about the sea, possibly how high it can rise.

Because nobody ever builds sandcastles unless they're sure they will survive the tide? Even if the seamen keeps rising at the current rate, that part of the castle will last quite a while yet, so why not rebuild? All it shows is that Megan has no reason to expect an imminent tsunami.

Can we expect a tsunami? That'd be kind of awesome.

Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Roia

Postby Roia » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
Asthanius wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
Asthanius wrote:But think about it. Megan admitted that she doesn't know how the sea works. If she doesn't know how it works but continues to build, she must know something about the sea, possibly how high it can rise.

Because nobody ever builds sandcastles unless they're sure they will survive the tide? Even if the seamen keeps rising at the current rate, that part of the castle will last quite a while yet, so why not rebuild? All it shows is that Megan has no reason to expect an imminent tsunami.

Can we expect a tsunami? That'd be kind of awesome.

A joke that bad shouldn't make me laugh... But it did!
The World is Waiting, Anticipating...

lazy-bunny.com - Blog.

htom

Postby htom » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

Skipping the quotes because I don't want to create a potential race condition in the totals ...

The first (or appears as the first) frame. No past, all future. Wait for it.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
Jafloi wrote:
silent_death wrote:
Jafloi wrote:If you had to pick just one timeframe to symbolise the whole of the One True Comic, witch would it be? I need just that for a outside-originated project, but can not decide witch to use... preferably one before NP 124, for the simplicity. Can you help?

I think it should be the first Frame...not because of the frame itself, but because of the promise it holds. With our current knowledge, this first frame is very powerful...it does not contain anything which is passed, it contains the future, it contains all the possibilites where it might lead, all the different futures and options - Together with the phrase, this oh-so simple sentence "wait for it" it is a promise that there will be something, we do not know what yet, it could be anything - this is the essence of the One True Comic.

Seems like it's going to be the first frame- unless there comes more votes the next few millipix.'

Votes this far:

First frame: 2
52th: 1
58th: 1
78th: 1
107th: 1

I could have sworn someone seconded my vote for 78.

ETA: Never mind.

I vote for frame 167. The two castles are there, in their familiar form. C&M are both in the frame. There's building action (C), there's waiting action (M), everything we learned to love and expect in the one true comic.
167th
It's about time.

Mycroft_147

Postby Mycroft_147 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

Jafloi wrote:
Votes this far:

I cast my vote for...

...wait for It...
*drumroll*

The very last newpix!
The end of Time!
The final frame to come gifted to us by the Almighty Randall!

*tssss*

Edit: Damn my XKOCD.
Last edited by Mycroft_147 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This is my croft. There are many like it. But this one is mine.

I am from the Before Time, in the Long Long Ago

Founder of THIS
(The Temporal Hypotheses and Intelligence Society)

(Leaves behind another piece of candy for Blitzgirl.)

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

What's all this about not having the first frame? I thought we had the first frame, but just didn't know the hash of it.

61 has been my favourite for a while, though there are probably more recent ones I'd like better if I took the trouble to think about them all.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

vvn

Postby vvn » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:Why is the castle being under cut by the under current when Megan's Nub wasn't?

And, why didn't Megan just add a bit to the nub to keep it from happening?

I thought I remembered that some bonding agents were allowed in sand sculpture competitions. But, I could not find a reference to that on the web. I did find some cool sandcastles that don't exist anywhere in the Universe... http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... zo/4279810

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Eliram wrote:
histrion wrote:
Jafloi wrote:
silent_death wrote:
Jafloi wrote:If you had to pick just one timeframe to symbolise the whole of the One True Comic, witch would it be? I need just that for a outside-originated project, but can not decide witch to use... preferably one before NP 124, for the simplicity. Can you help?

I think it should be the first Frame...not because of the frame itself, but because of the promise it holds. With our current knowledge, this first frame is very powerful...it does not contain anything which is passed, it contains the future, it contains all the possibilites where it might lead, all the different futures and options - Together with the phrase, this oh-so simple sentence "wait for it" it is a promise that there will be something, we do not know what yet, it could be anything - this is the essence of the One True Comic.

Seems like it's going to be the first frame- unless there comes more votes the next few millipix.'

Votes this far:

I could have sworn someone seconded my vote for 78.

ETA: Never mind.
I vote for frame 167. The two castles are there, in their familiar form. C&M are both in the frame. There's building action (C), there's waiting action (M), everything we learned to love and expect in the one true comic.
167th

I vote for frames 403& 404!
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

Yay! Caught up again!
Also: Frame one. It's the only one that makes sense for a connoisseur. So far, at least.
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

Jafloi

Postby Jafloi » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:41 pm UTC

Update:***
First frame*: 6
25th: 1
61th: 1
78th:: 2
167th: 1
385th: 1*****
403th: 1
404th: 3******,*******
Last**: 2

*Because I am not Lord Randall the Almighty, the "first" frame referred to is the first at http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/time[/quote]
**Can someone provide me a link?
***One nanopix till the decision is made, but please continue to vote, could be fun seeing what turns out to be the most popular timeframe.****
[Edit:]****Done, landed on "First" frame
[Edit2:]*****Added vote!
[Edit3:]******Added one more vote!
[Edit4:] Adding an important thought:
Purplepants77 wrote:In light of all this critiquing of which Frame is most representative of the OTC, I would just like to reiterate my only previous post: This needle-pulled-thingy is becoming increasingly similar to the dialogue in Other Comic #915.

On a related note:

Flado wrote:Yay! Caught up again!
Also: Frame one. It's the only one that makes sense for a connoisseur. So far, at least.

And personally, I would like remain among those of the opinion that no individual Frame can come close to capturing the essence of the OTC.
but if I had to pick, I'd say the first* one

*Because I am not Lord Randall the Almighty... (and so on)

[Edit5:] *******Adding vote from edo
Last edited by Jafloi on Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:37 pm UTC, edited 6 times in total.
buffygirl wrote:Jafloi, [...] I do hereby annoint you as Cardinal Jafloi of the Chicken Salad Sandwich, mayo optional.
...and Lightscribe (woodworker of time)

BlitzGirl: "wait fast, but wait well" *And good luck with the rest of your journey!!*You made it! Welcome!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:45 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:
Exodies wrote:
mscha wrote:Sea level rise, and castle crumbling, since just after the sea wall collapsed, some 16newpix ago.

Difference in construction. The sandcastle was built to have a nice appearance and was not created to withstand the coming of the tide. The nub/dyke/whatever was built to hold back the tide (for a period of Time).

Also, the castle was built by Cueball, and the dike (NOT dyke! Different thing entirely!) by Megan. Just sayin'.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Montov

Postby Montov » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

Best frame? #385:
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/XKCD_Ti ... ime385.png

Cueball just finished his amazing recursive castle in the middle, and he is proudly showing it to Megan with his arms wide open. I love the recusrive castle, I love frames where both Megan and Cueball are visible, I love silent interactions between them, and I love how we can deduce entire emotions just by a variation of the position of the stick figures.

treadman

Postby treadman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
airdrik wrote:
Exodies wrote:

Also, the castle was built by Cueball, and the dike (NOT dyke! Different thing entirely!) by Megan. Just sayin'.

Yes, please. If you're trying to be funny, than fine. Crude humor, but fine. If you don't know how to spell dike, then this lesson might save you some embarrassment in some future time.

vvn

Postby vvn » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

[quote="Sciscitor"]Just an attempt to resolve the dimensionality puzzle.
-snip-[/quote}

Some thoughts on the universe choices
2D
Wouldn't gravity fall off by distance rather than distance squared?
The area near the fluid and dike looked 2d.

Unrelated to dimensionality: The zoom into the trebuchet shows that the pixel is not the elementary particle in the universe. (Or, the zoom in would be pixelated.)

3D
There was much discussion about the dike holding back the water, and it's need to be very long. But, when I have built such things to save my own constructions I have built them around the castle. This circular wall would be best drawn the way it was in the OTC.

2.5D (Antfarm-Universe)
Amusing physics choice, (And my understanding is that 17 or so of the dimensions required for string theory are like this.) But, not gratifying to me.
Also, how could we see the image, the light couldn't get to where we are standing. (Or, they have a universe where entropy is an even bigger bitch than we expect.)

Crossection of a 3D world
This is mostly the one I like. But not in the sense of cutting through the world with a plane, and only seeing what is in that plane.
The world is clearly 3d. Many arguments have been made for this, and I agree with them.
We are clearly not seeing the entirety of the world. The shoreline can't simply be infinitely long and straight and perfectly lined up behind what we see. etc.
Perhaps the universe is 2d at the right, turning 3d left of the dike. (That's why megan didn't just make the dike bigger, she ran out of 2d building material.)
I think the universe is 3d, but some things are hidden in ways we do not yet comprehend.

Hermeneutic explanation
I agree, what fun is this. I like to think Randall would have rules. Even if he would not share with us.
Last edited by vvn on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

Jafloi wrote:Update:***
First frame*: 5
25th: 1
61th: 1
78th:: 2
167th: 1
385th: 1
403th: 1
404th: 1
Last**: 2

*Because I am not Lord Randall the Almighty, the "first" frame referred to is the first at http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/time
**Can someone provide me a link?
***One nanopix till the decision is made, but please continue to vote, could be fun seeing what turns out to be the most popular timeframe.****
[Edit:]****Done, landed on "First" frame
[Edit2:]Added vote!

I vote 404. It has the most emotion of them all.

I would have voted for it earlier, but the preference was made for something in the first 167 or so.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:

Have you ever made a sandcastle near the water? Loosely mounded sand tends to remain a loose mound, while carefully packed and vertically-oriented sand is quick to crumble, especially when dry.

The way Megan and Cueball (mostly Megan, as of late) are horsing* around tends to reinforce the idea that they're young, maybe kids. Megan's idea to haul herself up on the bucket when there's a ladder literally right in front of her is a bit whimsical, anyway.

*Better hope Uncle Jack's not around

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

treadman wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Also, the castle was built by Cueball, and the dike (NOT dyke! Different thing entirely!) by Megan. Just sayin'.

Yes, please. If you're trying to be funny, than fine. Crude humor, but fine. If you don't know how to spell dike, then this lesson might save you some embarrassment in some future time.

Wrong.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
treadman wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Also, the castle was built by Cueball, and the dike (NOT dyke! Different thing entirely!) by Megan. Just sayin'.

Wrong.

Ah, the internet. Proving wild accusations and assumptions both wrong and right for 33 years.
Last edited by Caswallon on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

histrion

Postby histrion » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
treadman wrote:

Wrong.

Welcome to another exciting* episode of US-UK-Okay!, where we explore all the little differences that make our neighbors across the pond seem so strange - no matter which side of the pond you're on.

(In the US, "dike" is the preferred spelling for a levee or ditch, "dyke" for a lesbian - at least if m-w.com is any indication.)

*Several electrons jumped orbits. The stage manager is chewing a Wint-O-Green Life Saver.
Last edited by histrion on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
treadman wrote:

Wrong.

Spoiler:
"Phrases

put one's finger in the dyke
attempt to stem the advance of something undesirable.
[from a story of a small Dutch boy who saved his community from flooding, by placing his finger in a hole in a dyke]"

:lol: I can't stop giggling! Seriously, tears. It's been going on for quite a few minutes now.
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Your Eternal Servant And Companion Through Time,
Dame Not-Bob
Temporal Defender Of The One True Comic

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

Montov wrote:Is that a minaret? Do we need to elect an Ayatollah now?

I always felt like one of the Time-religions needed a mufti.
Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir!
Godspeed to all the OTT travelers! I am one of you now!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)
- The Croissant Man (or Period Guy, whatevs)

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:
mscha wrote:
treadman wrote:

Wrong.

Spoiler:
"Phrases

[from a story of a small Dutch boy who saved his community from flooding, by placing his finger in a hole in a dyke]"

:lol: I can't stop giggling! Seriously, tears. It's been going on for quite a few minutes now.

Maybe we should call it a damn! I mean dam! Damn.

How about seawall?

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

histrion

Postby histrion » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:48 pm UTC

manvandmaan wrote:
Montov wrote:Is that a minaret? Do we need to elect an Ayatollah now?

I always felt like one of the Time-religions needed a mufti.

Here in the Abbey the walls are very drafty. Anything you can lend me to keep my hands warm would be highly appreciated, no matter what cutesy name you want to call it.

_it_

Postby _it_ » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

Okay, I'm here. What did I miss?

Purplepants77

Postby Purplepants77 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

In light of all this critiquing of which Frame is most representative of the OTC, I would just like to reiterate my only previous post: This needle-pulled-thingy is becoming increasingly similar to the dialogue in Other Comic #915.

On a related note:

Flado wrote:Yay! Caught up again!

And personally, I would like remain among those of the opinion that no individual Frame can come close to capturing the essence of the OTC.
but if I had to pick, I'd say the first* one

*Because I am not Lord Randall the Almighty... (and so on)
Still blitzing away and will be for some time.

Current Location: NP 1432
NP from Present: 891
Current Progress: 61.6%

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

Just remember, kids, The Journey Is The Prize.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxpcZrQQM-4

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

pitareio

Postby pitareio » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

I'm really surprised the rightmost tower hasn't collapsed yet. How long will it stand?

histrion

Postby histrion » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

pitareio wrote:I'm really surprised the rightmost tower hasn't collapsed yet. How long will it stand?

It's waiting for it.

treadman

Postby treadman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:
mscha wrote:
treadman wrote:

Wrong.

Spoiler:
"Phrases

How about seawall?

Ok. I apologize. Dyke is acceptable British English for an embankment to hold back water.

This is from the British Oxford dictionary: Wrong.

This is from the American Oxford dictionary: Also Wrong?

EDIT: After all this I need to go outside for a fag!
Last edited by treadman on Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:24 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

Is it me, or is the gap between the central sandpile on the platform and the tower on the right of the platform crenelated?
Specifically, the smaller platform atop the larger one.
EDIT: 14000th post!
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

treadman wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:
mscha wrote:
treadman wrote:

Wrong.

Spoiler:
"Phrases

How about seawall?

Ok. I apologize. Dyke is acceptable British English for an embankment to hold back water.

This is from the British Oxford dictionary: Wrong.

This from the American Oxford dictionary: Also Wrong?

EDIT: After all this I need to go outside for a fag!

This is also in the American dictionary: "dyke 2"

EDIT: Oh no, I'm the Pope this page...
Last edited by macraw83 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Is it me, or is the gap between the central sandpile on the platform and the tower on the right of the platform crenelated?
Specifically, the smaller platform atop the larger one.
EDIT: 14000th post!

Looks crenelated to me, Cueball did that in 683-684

edo

Postby edo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

I caught up? and only 9UTC?

I vote for d886b2211e9f32b58f43c887959db0158e1d4652877ae2d062c71840c8cc131d.png, "The Ecstasy of Cueball"

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Ok everyone there is a cool new feature in The Book of Time. Go to any page (except the last few as I haven't updated them yet) and there is a link at the bottom that takes you to that newpix's point in the Forum thread. So if you know the newpix number you want to investigate you can go to that page in the book of time and then use the link to get there quickly without having to search through the forum. Also this is useful if you want to edit a Book of Time page and want to see what was talked about at that Time to know what to add.

OH MY GOD YOU ARE THE BEST
Edit: the link to page one of the forum (from the book of time) is not there, instead, I see a wall of 'expression error: unexpected = operator.' The others all seem to work.

Yeah I had to Coma after I made that change and realized too late that I had made a mistake effecting some of the first pages entered. I've now fixed up those bad pages but there are a few more I have to check. And have to fix the bug in my wiki template code. Its currently 75kB of code that I need to optimize because wikia does not like big scripts like that.

Edit: 100th post!
Edit2: script bug fixed now
Last edited by Latent22 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:28 pm UTC

This is what the semencaffeinatedcancerbabies are thinking:

Spoiler:

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:31 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:Could anyone gen together something so that you could time the frame number or time&date of two frames and automatically produce these red green images? I'm not computer savvy so no idea if it would work.

mscha has been making a lot of the comparison images, they may be able to help you.

FWIW, here's the Perl script I'm using. You'll need to install some non-standard Perl modules from CPAN, and have the images in the current directory, preferably with increasing file names (I use xkcd_time_20130417_1500.png for the latest image, from 15:00 UTC today).
Usage is then:
xkcd_comp first.png second.png
or just:
xkcd_comp image.png
if you want to compare an image with its predecessor.

You can use the site http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190 to do this for two adjacent frames already. Just tick the box below the frame. You then need to go back frames for it to work and it is a bit strange at times but it does let you see changes between frames easily.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”