1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:34 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Is it me, or is the gap between the central sandpile on the platform and the tower on the right of the platform crenelated?
Specifically, the smaller platform atop the larger one.
EDIT: 14000th post!

Ooooo, I think you're right!

The semecancercoffeebaconice9babby has smoothed out, though.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:45 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:
mscha wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:Could anyone gen together something so that you could time the frame number or time&date of two frames and automatically produce these red green images? I'm not computer savvy so no idea if it would work.

mscha has been making a lot of the comparison images, they may be able to help you.

FWIW, here's the Perl script I'm using. You'll need to install some non-standard Perl modules from CPAN, and have the images in the current directory, preferably with increasing file names (I use xkcd_time_20130417_1500.png for the latest image, from 15:00 UTC today).
Usage is then:
xkcd_comp first.png second.png
or just:
xkcd_comp image.png
if you want to compare an image with its predecessor.

You can use the site http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190 to do this for two adjacent frames already. Just tick the box below the frame. You then need to go back frames for it to work and it is a bit strange at times but it does let you see changes between frames easily.

Added to the WIKI!
25.6 NewPoints for you!

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Related_Software/Games

Jafloi

Postby Jafloi » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Jafloi wrote:Update:***
First frame*: 6
25th: 1
52th: 1
61th: 1
78th:: 2
107th: 1
167th: 1
385th: 1*****
403th: 1
404th: 3******,*******
Last**: 2

*Because I am not Lord Randall the Almighty, the "first" frame referred to is the first at http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/time

**Can someone provide me a link?
***One nanopix till the decision is made, but please continue to vote, could be fun seeing what turns out to be the most popular timeframe.****
[Edit:]****Done, landed on "First" frame
[Edit2:]*****Added vote!
[Edit3:]******Added one more vote!
[Edit4:] Adding an important thought:
Purplepants77 wrote:In light of all this critiquing of which Frame is most representative of the OTC, I would just like to reiterate my only previous post: This needle-pulled-thingy is becoming increasingly similar to the dialogue in Other Comic #915.

On a related note:

Flado wrote:Yay! Caught up again!
Also: Frame one. It's the only one that makes sense for a connoisseur. So far, at least.

And personally, I would like remain among those of the opinion that no individual Frame can come close to capturing the essence of the OTC.
but if I had to pick, I'd say the first* one

*Because I am not Lord Randall the Almighty... (and so on)

[Edit5:] *******Adding vote from edo[/quote]

Think there is time for an update:

Votes so far:*****

First frame*: 6 ¤
385th: 1
404th: 3

*Because I am not Lord Randall the Almighty, the "first" frame referred to is the first at http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/time[/quote]
**Can someone provide me a link?***
***...And not to http://xkcd.com/time****
****Yes, I mean the absolute last one, the newpix without subsequent newpix(es).
*****Should be remembered: Comic #915
[Edit:]¤Should be mentioned that many of these votes comes with the exception that no sole newframe can compare with the Time as an unity.
buffygirl wrote:Jafloi, [...] I do hereby annoint you as Cardinal Jafloi of the Chicken Salad Sandwich, mayo optional.
...and Lightscribe (woodworker of time)

BlitzGirl: "wait fast, but wait well" *And good luck with the rest of your journey!!*You made it! Welcome!

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

I vote for newpix #403 with the close-up of the minitrebuchet in Megan's hands. It was totally unexpected, totally different from any other newpixes and totally adorable.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:16 pm UTC

Jafloi wrote:Think there is time for an update:

First frame*: 6 ¤
385th: 1

*Because I am not Lord Randall the Almighty, the "first" frame referred to is the first at http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/time
****Yes, I mean the absolute last one, the newpix without subsequent newpix(es).
[Edit:]¤Should be mentioned that many of these votes comes with the exception that no sole newframe can compare with the Time as an unity.

I'll vote for #35. The simplicity and innocence of them contemplating that first, single tower are beautiful.

EDIT: aaaargh, the BBCode crash, it burns!
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

histrion

Postby histrion » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:17 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:I vote for newpix #403 with the close-up of the minitrebuchet in Megan's hands. It was totally unexpected, totally different from any other newpixes and totally adorable.

Seems to me that would be sort of the opposite of representative. Nobody who looks at it - without knowing the greater context already - will get much sense of what the rest of the OTC is like.

i voted for 78 because of the original poster's desire to stay earlier than - what was it, 174? But I do like #385.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

Grammar Police

Postby Grammar Police » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:21 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:
Yeah I had to Coma after I made that change and realized too late that I had made a mistake effecting some of the first pages entered. I've now fixed up those bad pages but there are a few more I have to check. And have to fix the bug in my wiki template code. Its currently 75kB of code that I need to optimize because wikia does not like big scripts

<...affecting...>

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

I'd have to vote for number 2, the first frame that gave us any indication that it was indeed changing with Time.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
Asthanius wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
Asthanius wrote:But think about it. Megan admitted that she doesn't know how the sea works. If she doesn't know how it works but continues to build, she must know something about the sea, possibly how high it can rise.

Because nobody ever builds sandcastles unless they're sure they will survive the tide? Even if the seamen keeps rising at the current rate, that part of the castle will last quite a while yet, so why not rebuild? All it shows is that Megan has no reason to expect an imminent tsunami.

Can we expect a tsunami? That'd be kind of awesome.

Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.

Ha! That is just brilliant.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

speising

Postby speising » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:27 pm UTC

the top plan[c]k can't be more than half a meter wide, judging from the frames when they pulled it up. (incidently, how do you pull yourself up a rope running over a board like that?). i have trouble believing that amounts of sand can be piled on top of a board that narrow. unless, of course, the universe is actually not wider than that :)

Jafloi

Postby Jafloi » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

For new readers:
Spoiler:
Jafloi wrote:If you had to pick just one timeframe to symbolise the whole of the One True Comic, witch would it be? I need just that for a outside-originated project, but can not decide witch to use... preferably one before NP 124, for the simplicity.B Can you help?

histrion wrote:
NoMouse wrote:I vote for newpix #403 with the close-up of the minitrebuchet in Megan's hands. It was totally unexpected, totally different from any other newpixes and totally adorable.

Seems to me that would be sort of the opposite of representative. Nobody who looks at it - without knowing the greater context already - will get much sense of what the rest of the OTC is like.

i voted for 78 because of the original poster's desire to stay earlier than - what was it, 174? But I do like #385.

(please feel free to vote on any timeframe, before or after NP 124)B

First frame*: 7 A
Second frame:: 1
Fifth:: 1
35th: 1
385th: 2
403th: 2

*Because I am not Lord Randall the Almighty, the "first" frame referred to is the first at http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/time[/quote]
AShould be mentioned that many of these votes comes with the exception that no sole newframe can compare with the Time as an unity.
BNot relevant anymore, I have started the project, and chosen no. 1*

[Edit:] Added vote from HAL9000
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:My favorite frame is either #5 or #8, both of which are Megan and Cueball sitting in the same places as where they started, but in each of those two frames, Cueball's head is turned towards Megan. The simplicity and promise of the first frame, while hinting slightly at the connection the two share.
But put my vote down for #1.
and myself, on #1 and #5.
[Edit2:]Fixing missing vote for #35
Last edited by Jafloi on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:49 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
buffygirl wrote:Jafloi, [...] I do hereby annoint you as Cardinal Jafloi of the Chicken Salad Sandwich, mayo optional.
...and Lightscribe (woodworker of time)

BlitzGirl: "wait fast, but wait well" *And good luck with the rest of your journey!!*You made it! Welcome!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:36 pm UTC

My favorite frame is either #5 or #8, both of which are Megan and Cueball sitting in the same places as where they started, but in each of those two frames, Cueball's head is turned towards Megan. The simplicity and promise of the first frame, while hinting slightly at the connection the two share.
But put my vote down for #1.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

treadman wrote:
Spoiler:
manvandmaan wrote:
Asthanius wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:
Asthanius wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I applaud Blitzgirl for her tireless effort in clearly delineating each Period of Time. I would like to propose that Time can also be divided into two Eras--The Castle Era and the Scaffolding Era. The two era are distinct not only in terms of building materials but also, I think, of mood. In the Castle Era, the two are relaxing on the beach and decide to build a castle, and a bigger castle. The whole thing, the recursive castles, the trebucheting of the castles, all seems to have a sense of play. And as Cueball says at the end, "It's been fun. . ."

For me, the Scaffolding Era seems to have a more ominous tone. The idea that they are young and inexperienced (and not very bright), and are just idly wondering about how the world works is interesting, and possible. However, I sense something deeper, and it's not just the ocean. The concern about the rising water level, the confusion about their surroundings, it all seems to have a lost and worried tone. Maybe I'm just imagining it (I am the Imaginator, after all) but the two sections seem to be very different.

The problem I see with this is that Time can also be divided into the Pre and Post-Flood Era. The scaffolding is present in both.

You can see into the future? :o

The flooding started once the water breached the wall Megan made.

Isnt that a bit presumptious to call that a "flood"?
Maybe it's just high tide?
Since they don't seem to know anything about their surrounding or how they work, maybe they arrived on the beach during low tide (which would explain the wet sand they used for building the sand castle) and then noticed the water was rising.

I agree. "flood" is a bit much. We can call it a flood when things start getting washed away.

This is an interesting point. In all the time they've been building, we haven't really seen the tide coming in and going out, have we? Just a steady increase in level. And Megan does say the sea level hasn't risen this fast before. (Although, how does she know that, when there seem to be so many basic things about the world that she doesn't know?) The tide can wash things away, especially (sand) castles, so I don't know that this would make it a flood. If it's a tide or a flood, either way, it's a very slow-moving one.

At any rate, this doesn't really affect the idea of The Castle Era and The Scaffolding Era, since it's all happening during the Scaffolding Era. If it turns out to be a flood, then within the Scaffolding Era we can have Pre-diluvian and Antediluvian* Epochs.

(Edited to fix my quote/spolier confusion, and then to say that I edited it.)
* Yes, I know I screwed that up,and I should have known better, and I'm already embarrassed about it. And now I had to look up how to spell "embarrassed," because it really doesn't look right.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:52 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:...and then to say that I edited it.)

That brief moment of ninja editing is disconcerting. ALL EDITS MUST BE KNOWN TO BALANCE TIME AND BLITZGIRL.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

iisjreg wrote:

That brief moment of ninja editing is disconcerting. ALL EDITS MUST BE KNOWN TO BALANCE TIME AND BLITZGIRL.

It seems to me that the forum logs things on a per minute basis. This has the effect that edits that don't tip over into the next full minute will be hidden as the forum views it as [edit time]=[post time] therefore no edit has happened. It probably just has to store the [post time], [edit time] and [number of edits].

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:06 pm UTC

iisjreg wrote:That brief moment of ninja editing is disconcerting. ALL EDITS MUST BE KNOWN TO BALANCE TIME AND BLITZGIRL.

Why am I suddenly tempted to start going back and editing my old posts so they contains quotes from the future? Or worse yet, swap them around. I could go back and make it appear that I preempted every comment! Wow, time travel is a powerful thing. *feels the power*
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:13 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
iisjreg wrote:That brief moment of ninja editing is disconcerting. ALL EDITS MUST BE KNOWN TO BALANCE TIME AND BLITZGIRL.

Why am I suddenly tempted to start going back and editing my old posts so they contains quotes from the future? Or worse yet, swap them around. I could go back and make it appear that I preempted every comment! Wow, time travel is a powerful thing. *feels the power*

You wouldn't be the first, judging by some the stuff BlitzGirl has found. But the chaos caused is terrible, since we have no way of seeing what post(s) is (are) edited without re-reading the entire thread. Gonna take a Time Lord Randall himself to fix the disaster if you edit something located earlier in Time than BlitzGirl's current location, since afaik nobody else is reading the entire thread, so nobody would be able to tell us you made the edits...

EDIT: I just have to ask, what language is that message in your sig in?
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

Purplepants77

Postby Purplepants77 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:
EDIT: Oh no, I'm the Pope this page...

Poor unrecognized PFAP of Newpage 351. The nerve of some people...

All hail ye Great Temporary Holiness! May we follow in thyne Holy Papal footsteps for now and for all Time*

*Newpage 351
Still blitzing away and will be for some time.

Current Location: NP 1432
NP from Present: 891
Current Progress: 61.6%

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:20 pm UTC

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

iisjreg wrote:

Just my own small individual way of messing with the time-space continuum.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:
Spoiler:
Caswallon wrote:

You wouldn't be the first, judging by some the stuff BlitzGirl has found. But the chaos caused is terrible, since we have no way of seeing what post(s) is (are) edited without re-reading the entire thread. Gonna take a Time Lord Randall himself to fix the disaster if you edit something located earlier in Time than BlitzGirl's current location, since afaik nobody else is reading the entire thread, so nobody would be able to tell us you made the edits...

EDIT: I just have to ask, what language is that message in your sig in?

It is totally not the secret code of the Temporal Illuminati, I promise, really, I'm telling the truth....

Jryy, vg zvtug or. *jvax*
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
Spoiler:

Damnit, now I can't stop laughing!

Edit: Sorry for the double post ;)

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:24 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:Image

And this is why you're the..wait, what was your title again? Something about graphics. Anyway, nice job!

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:27 pm UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:EDIT: I just have to ask, what language is that message in your sig in?

Psst:
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

The intellect of man is forced to choose / Perfection of the life, or of the work,
And if it take the second must refuse / A heavenly mansion, raging in the dark.
- William Butler Yeats, writer, Nobel laureate (13 Jun 1865-1939)

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:32 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Spoiler:

:)

I'd be shocked if the mods even bother with this thread anymore.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

htom

Postby htom » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:37 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Spoiler:

They may be letting us go, planning to use this thread as a test environment for future moderators. Those who pass that qualifying test, get to take the test again with the MADNESS turned on to see if they can be driven insane by the users.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:38 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:

And this is why you're the..wait, what was your title again? Something about graphics. Anyway, nice job!

I think it's [something something] Staff of [something].

Hell, who can remember?

Roia

Postby Roia » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:38 pm UTC

The scaffolding + rising sea basically trashes any loopist therories.

I mean, if the comic were to loop, right now it would require there to be an entire level platform of sand, else when the loop happens and they walk off screen, they'd basically be walking... off the scaffold. That would hurt! And unless they could haul up the entire beach onto that scaffold, they wouldn't have enough building material to reconstruct the castle to this scale.

Of course, this only makes sense if the comic intends to have a loop-that-makes-sense. It could just go back to the first panel and just start all over again without a logical loop. But that would somehow feel wrong. I'd rather it just END than end in an illogical loop.

I guess I just made myself a non-loopist.
The World is Waiting, Anticipating...

lazy-bunny.com - Blog.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:40 pm UTC

htom wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Spoiler:
Caswallon wrote:

They may be letting us go, planning to use this thread as a test environment for future moderators. Those who pass that qualifying test, get to take the test again with the MADNESS turned on to see if they can be driven insane by the users.
From the Forum Rules:
5. Try and keep off-topic posts controlled. If the thread you want to post in seems off-topic, post anyway. On-topic posts always take precedence over off-topic.

Off-topic posts are rife in this forum. We maintain a very casual atmosphere here where conversation can flow quite freely - however, we have our limits. If off-topic posts get too over the top, the thread may be split or locked, so try and keep off-topic posts controlled. You are welcome to start a new thread and continue the new discussion there, or throw up a report if you feel it is necessary for us to split the thread.

So, how many threads do you think this would need to be split into?

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

Sadly, I have been failing to keep up with the small sequence of programmed instructions for many TimeFrames. Even as I write this, I remain 6 newpages behind. Still, I will attempt to clear the list of things I need to reply to before I go coma.

ChronosDragon wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
KarMann wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:Apparently this was enough to kill BBCode. I'd say we're quite safe from the Singularity at the moment. :P

Mwa-ha-ha, just as I'd pla—I have no idea what you're talking about.

lol. Nobody expects an incomprehensible explanation!

All I meant was that, if BBCode isn't even smart enough to fix improperly nested tags (when said improperly nested tags are right next to each other, no less) and gloriously explodes instead, then we're in no danger of computers becoming sentient anytime soon.

Having worked with BBCode (php-side) in the past I can say that I seriously hope our robot overlords don't run on BBCode. Or PHP for that matter.

I haven't used BBcode, but I have tried my hand at PHP. I expect that if our robot overlords were PHP-based, we could take control back within the TimeFrame.
ChronosDragon wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:Considering that this is an antfarm universe any river, from up the hills or anywhere, would have to flow through the frame to reach the sea (if what is to the right actually is The Sea). I wonder why they aren't more concerned about it.

"Pardon me," said Milo to the first man who happened by; "can you tell me where I am?"

"To be sure," said Canby; "you're on the Island of Conclusions. Make yourself at home. You're apt to be here for some time."

"But how did we get here?" asked Milo, who was still a bit puzzled by being there at all.

"You jumped, of course,"

I was going to call this the first Phantom Tollbooth reference I'd seen in this thread; but I think it's the first Phantom Tollbooth reference i've seen ever.
histrion wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:<snip>

Abso-posit-lute-ivly!!!

"Time is amazing, each moment that occurs;
the more I learn of it, the less I know it.
Hail Blitzgirl, of the massive titulars:
Time traveler, inspiration, and poet!"

--Anon

Since Buffygirl missed it:
Massive titulars. Heh.

<...titter...>
The meter is a bit odd because each line is 11 syllables. But I the Anon One decided on 11 because it's prime, and...

We're crazy-stoopid Prime-Time all up in here, Babby!!!

How do you pronounce "Blitzgirl?"

Blitz-girl, with two silly-somethings. They all add up to 11 for me; perhaps we disagree on the pronunciation of hey-ull?
StratPlayer wrote:
udscbt wrote:A lot of speech has been shown lately, any crazy theory about what's happening?

I think it might be dialogue.

FTFY. (Damn lazy American spellings; although dialogue has fared better than the word "doughnut".)

As this post is significantly in my own future, it seems like a good place to dub my past self as a Temporal Knight, assuming that's still the way things are done around here. Probably there is no-one still watching this self-dubbing, having been put off by the walltext above; anyone else, please look away, I'm a little shy. Anyway:
[quote=Past Smithers]I, Past Smithers, hereby pledge allegiance to the One True Comic, to the Magnificent Lord Randall and to the Thread Of Time. I swear to defend all those who wait for it, regardless of religion, preferred nomenclature for the time between frames or predilection for paradoxen or ebg68.[/quote]
Arise, Sir ...
you haven't thought of a knightly name yet, have you?
Maybe by the Time you get to the present, you will have.

I think that's it for now.
Good waiting, all.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

htom wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Spoiler:

It's gone beyond madness, and is now some kinda of eternal hell-scape.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:48 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
udscbt wrote:A lot of speech has been shown lately, any crazy theory about what's happening?

I think it might be dialogue.

FTFY. (Damn lazy American spellings; although dialogue has fared better than the word "doughnut".)

You think that's bad? Those silly Americans can't stop giggling about the boy who put his finger in the dyke. :roll:
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:49 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:<snip> FTFY. (Damn lazy American spellings; although dialogue has fared better than the word "doughnut".)

As a Brit, we Americans figured you'd appreciate our attempts at distancing ourselves of any exorbitant Anglo-French spelling(s)?
Last edited by cmyk on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:49 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Spoiler:

I think it's [something something] Staff of [something].

Hell, who can remember?

Well, whatever it is, you've earned it. Give yourself a nice pat on the back.

Edited to fix yet another freak post. Dammit!!
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Mon May 06, 2013 9:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Purplepants77

Postby Purplepants77 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:50 pm UTC

Roia wrote:The scaffolding + rising sea basically trashes any loopist therories.

I mean, if the comic were to loop, right now it would require there to be an entire level platform of sand, else when the loop happens and they walk off screen, they'd basically be walking... off the scaffold. That would hurt! And unless they could haul up the entire beach onto that scaffold, they wouldn't have enough building material to reconstruct the castle to this scale.

Of course, this only makes sense if the comic intends to have a loop-that-makes-sense. It could just go back to the first panel and just start all over again without a logical loop. But that would somehow feel wrong. I'd rather it just END than end in an illogical loop.

I guess I just made myself a non-loopist.

If you ask me, the only way to make it loop (properly) now is for everything to get washed away again (or have them show up on another beach or something) and suffer amnesia about the whole business. I would hope that if it loops, the story would make sense in a loop. Building a castle, having it wash away, and building it again makes sense in that context, but not this conversation. Unless of course this were a really really extended metaphor for a goldfish. That would explain why they don't know anything. :)
Still blitzing away and will be for some time.

Current Location: NP 1432
NP from Present: 891
Current Progress: 61.6%

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:51 pm UTC

Yesss!! I'm the PFAP! Woo-hoo! Unless somebody ninja's me.

Dang, I better go get me a big hat. Where's buffygirl when you need her?

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:52 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
treadman wrote:
Spoiler:
manvandmaan wrote:
Asthanius wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:
Asthanius wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I applaud Blitzgirl for her tireless effort in clearly delineating each Period of Time. I would like to propose that Time can also be divided into two Eras--The Castle Era and the Scaffolding Era. The two era are distinct not only in terms of building materials but also, I think, of mood. In the Castle Era, the two are relaxing on the beach and decide to build a castle, and a bigger castle. The whole thing, the recursive castles, the trebucheting of the castles, all seems to have a sense of play. And as Cueball says at the end, "It's been fun. . ."

For me, the Scaffolding Era seems to have a more ominous tone. The idea that they are young and inexperienced (and not very bright), and are just idly wondering about how the world works is interesting, and possible. However, I sense something deeper, and it's not just the ocean. The concern about the rising water level, the confusion about their surroundings, it all seems to have a lost and worried tone. Maybe I'm just imagining it (I am the Imaginator, after all) but the two sections seem to be very different.

The problem I see with this is that Time can also be divided into the Pre and Post-Flood Era. The scaffolding is present in both.

You can see into the future? :o

The flooding started once the water breached the wall Megan made.

Isnt that a bit presumptious to call that a "flood"?
Maybe it's just high tide?
Since they don't seem to know anything about their surrounding or how they work, maybe they arrived on the beach during low tide (which would explain the wet sand they used for building the sand castle) and then noticed the water was rising.

I agree. "flood" is a bit much. We can call it a flood when things start getting washed away.

This is an interesting point. In all the time they've been building, we haven't really seen the tide coming in and going out, have we? Just a steady increase in level. And Megan does say the sea level hasn't risen this fast before. (Although, how does she know that, when there seem to be so many basic things about the world that she doesn't know?) The tide can wash things away, especially (sand) castles, so I don't know that this would make it a flood. If it's a tide or a flood, either way, it's a very slow-moving one.

At any rate, this doesn't really affect the idea of The Castle Era and The Scaffolding Era, since it's all happening during the Scaffolding Era. If it turns out to be a flood, then within the Scaffolding Era we can have Pre-diluvian and Antediluvian Epochs.

(Edited to fix my quote/spolier confusion, and then to say that I edited it.)

I'm not sure you didn't do this on purpose, but, 'pre-' and 'ante-' both mean 'before', so those would be the same thing, taken at face value.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:53 pm UTC

Though I don't know why my post looks so funny. Why's my sig and avatar spacing all wonky? What did I do?

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”