1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
PhoenixRising
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:53 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:54 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:Image


:shock:
:lol:
My internets. Take them all.


poxic wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:EDIT: I just have to ask, what language is that message in your sig in?

Psst:


..really? XD I thought it was some "geek language," Elvish or Klingon or something like that. Now I feel like a noob.



htom wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Spoiler:
Image

Damnit, now I can't stop laughing!

Edit: Sorry for the double post ;)


:)

I'd be shocked if the mods even bother with this thread anymore.


They may be letting us go, planning to use this thread as a test environment for future moderators. Those who pass that qualifying test, get to take the test again with the MADNESS turned on to see if they can be driven insane by the users. Those who are driven insane are given modprivs. Those who stay sane are permabanned. And the lucky few who go insane even before the MADNESS is activated receive adminprivs and a TARDIS.


FTFY, given the nature of our current mods.



cmyk wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
cmyk wrote:Image


And this is why you're the..wait, what was your title again? Something about graphics. Anyway, nice job!


I think it's [something something] Staff of [something].

Hell, who can remember?


I can.


EDIT:
lmjb1964 wrote:Though I don't know why my post looks so funny. Why's my sig and avatar spacing all wonky? What did I do?


Mis-nested quote and spoiler tags within your post. I suspect it's a BBCode glitch since you're like the third person this has happened to. Anyway, from within your post:

Code: Select all

[ spoiler ]
[ quote="cmyk" ]
[ /spoiler ] <---- should be [ /quote ]
[ /quote ] <---- should be [ /spoiler ]
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

User avatar
cmyk
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:54 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cmyk » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:58 pm UTC

I figured it was a rot[n] of some sort, but was too lazy at the time to decode it.

Why rot13?

I suppose I'm a n00b too.
Image

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6698
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:00 am UTC

Image
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
lmjb1964
Posts: 2173
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:09 pm UTC
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:00 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:At any rate, this doesn't really affect the idea of The Castle Era and The Scaffolding Era, since it's all happening during the Scaffolding Era. If it turns out to be a flood, then within the Scaffolding Era we can have Pre-diluvian and Antediluvian Epochs.

I'm not sure you didn't do this on purpose, but, 'pre-' and 'ante-' both mean 'before', so those would be the same thing, taken at face value.


[facepalm] Oops. I knew that. I was so focused on trying to come up with a joke using "anti-diluvian" that I went and used antediluvian wrong. Thanks for setting me straight, KarMann. :oops:

Of course, I could go back and edit my earlier post to say "Antediluvian and Post-Diluvian Epochs," and then I could have been all like, "What are you talking about? I totally used it right!"

I don't lose my PFAP over this, do I? I just got the hat and everything...
Image

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

User avatar
PhoenixRising
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:53 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:01 am UTC

cmyk wrote:I figured it was a rot[n] of some sort, but was too lazy at the time to decode it.

Why rot13?

I suppose I'm a n00b too.


Rot13, performed twice, returns the original text. If I understand correctly it's basically a "lazy man's ultra-easy cipher."1

EDIT: I stopped being lazy long enough to go look it up. :P I haz citation now1.

1: "A shift of thirteen was chosen over other values, such as three as in the original Caesar cipher, because thirteen is the value for which encoding and decoding are equivalent, thereby allowing the convenience of a single command for both." Source
Last edited by PhoenixRising on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

User avatar
lmjb1964
Posts: 2173
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:09 pm UTC
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:03 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I don't lose my PFAP over this, do I? I just got the hat and everything...


oh, never mind, someone ninja'd me.

ETA: 50 posts! My golden post!
Image

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:05 am UTC

Smithers wrote:<snip>

StratPlayer wrote:
udscbt wrote:A lot of speech has been shown lately, any crazy theory about what's happening?


I think it might be dialogue.

FTFY. (Damn lazy American spellings; although dialogue has fared better than the word "doughnut".)


Thanque Youe!

Smithers wrote:As this post is significantly in my own future, it seems like a good place to dub my past self as a Temporal Knight, assuming that's still the way things are done around here. Probably there is no-one still watching this self-dubbing, having been put off by the walltext above; anyone else, please look away, I'm a little shy. Anyway:
[quote=Past Smithers]I, Past Smithers, hereby pledge allegiance to the One True Comic, to the Magnificent Lord Randall and to the Thread Of Time. I swear to defend all those who wait for it, regardless of religion, preferred nomenclature for the time between frames or predilection for paradoxen or ebg68.
Arise, Sir ...
you haven't thought of a knightly name yet, have you?
Maybe by the Time you get to the present, you will have.

I think that's it for now.
Good waiting, all.


Welcome to the Knights Temporal, Good Sir-To-Be-Named-At-A-Future-Time!
Last edited by StratPlayer on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
cmyk
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:54 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:05 am UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:
cmyk wrote:I figured it was a rot[n] of some sort, but was too lazy at the time to decode it.

Why rot13?

I suppose I'm a n00b too.


Rot13, performed twice, returns the original text. If I understand correctly it's basically a "lazy man's ultra-easy cipher."


:smack: Never occurred to me!
Image

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:08 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I don't lose my PFAP over this, do I? I just got the hat and everything...


oh, never mind, someone ninja'd me.

ETA: 50 posts! My golden post!

As long as you were top o' the page when the newpage formed (i.e. when there was only one post on a page, it was yours), you're that page's Pope, assuming you haven't been temporary Pope in the past 24 hours, regardless of bumps (from moderator-filtered newbie posts) or deletions.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

ThemePark
Posts: 450
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:42 pm UTC
Location: Århus, Denmark

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ThemePark » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:08 am UTC

I'm surprised people, including myself, are still following this. By now it's obvious that Randall has just massively trolled us, and we'll be glued to the site for eons.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

User avatar
Davidy
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:18 am UTC

Prediction

Postby Davidy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:09 am UTC

The rightmost small tower will collapse into the sea at 695.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:17 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
Asthanius wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
Asthanius wrote:But think about it. Megan admitted that she doesn't know how the sea works. If she doesn't know how it works but continues to build, she must know something about the sea, possibly how high it can rise.

Because nobody ever builds sandcastles unless they're sure they will survive the tide? Even if the seamen keeps rising at the current rate, that part of the castle will last quite a while yet, so why not rebuild? All it shows is that Megan has no reason to expect an imminent tsunami.

Can we expect a tsunami? That'd be kind of awesome.

Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.


Excellent!* I commend you on your master-punnery!!!

*And I wish I'd have said it...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
Latent22
Posts: 622
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:57 pm UTC
Location: NZ

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Latent22 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:18 am UTC

Roia wrote:The scaffolding + rising sea basically trashes any loopist therories.

I mean, if the comic were to loop, right now it would require there to be an entire level platform of sand, else when the loop happens and they walk off screen, they'd basically be walking... off the scaffold. That would hurt! And unless they could haul up the entire beach onto that scaffold, they wouldn't have enough building material to reconstruct the castle to this scale.

Of course, this only makes sense if the comic intends to have a loop-that-makes-sense. It could just go back to the first panel and just start all over again without a logical loop. But that would somehow feel wrong. I'd rather it just END than end in an illogical loop.

I guess I just made myself a non-loopist.


I posted one idea earlier where they could build a smaller beach on the platform. And then bring in 2 mini stick figures of themselves and start top motion animating them. Camera zooms in and we loop. however the real problem with this is that after several loops the miniature size will cause problems. Would be cool if it got lower res as it started hitting the size of atoms etc.

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:23 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I don't lose my PFAP over this, do I? I just got the hat and everything...


oh, never mind, someone ninja'd me.

ETA: 50 posts! My golden post!

As long as you were top o' the page when the newpage formed (i.e. when there was only one post on a page, it was yours), you're that page's Pope, assuming you haven't been temporary Pope in the past 24 hours, regardless of bumps (from moderator-filtered newbie posts) or deletions.


You know, this new system of Papal appointments is inane, ridiculously arbitrary, and prone to errors. It makes absolutely no sense and causes nothing but chaos and confusion.

So of course, it's the perfect system for this thread...

All salute the Pope Pro Tempore!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:23 am UTC

Jafloi wrote:If you had to pick just one timeframe to symbolise the whole of the One True Comic, witch would it be? I need just that for a outside-originated project, but can not decide witch to use... preferably one before NP 124, for the simplicity. Can you help?


403. M with the mini trebuchet. Oh, you wanted before 124.
So, 21, M shaking sand out of her hair. Although 78 is a close second.

User avatar
tman2nd
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:56 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere south of the North Poll

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby tman2nd » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:29 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Though I don't know why my post looks so funny. Why's my sig and avatar spacing all wonky? What did I do?

Something got messed up with the quoting. It's happened to me before. The way I dealt with it is removing part of the quote.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

User avatar
Roia
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:50 pm UTC
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Roia » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:30 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
Roia wrote:The scaffolding + rising sea basically trashes any loopist therories.

I mean, if the comic were to loop, right now it would require there to be an entire level platform of sand, else when the loop happens and they walk off screen, they'd basically be walking... off the scaffold. That would hurt! And unless they could haul up the entire beach onto that scaffold, they wouldn't have enough building material to reconstruct the castle to this scale.

Of course, this only makes sense if the comic intends to have a loop-that-makes-sense. It could just go back to the first panel and just start all over again without a logical loop. But that would somehow feel wrong. I'd rather it just END than end in an illogical loop.

I guess I just made myself a non-loopist.


I posted one idea earlier where they could build a smaller beach on the platform. And then bring in 2 mini stick figures of themselves and start top motion animating them. Camera zooms in and we loop. however the real problem with this is that after several loops the miniature size will cause problems. Would be cool if it got lower res as it started hitting the size of atoms etc.


Ha. This is actually pretty funny / cool idea.

Although the sea rising would be considerably faster once you got down to atoms, seeing as they can't miniaturise the ocean.

Perhaps they're actually making the sandcastles out of the sea itself, and have some kind of magical freezing-the-sea-to-build-with-it ability. And when the non-frozen-sea touches it it dissolves. Then, once it gets level, they can just do the same thing and create the loop.

It wouldn't account for the repetitive conversation though.
The World is Waiting, Anticipating...

lazy-bunny.com - Blog.

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:35 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Though I don't know why my post looks so funny. Why's my sig and avatar spacing all wonky? What did I do?

Something got messed up with the quoting. It's happened to me before. The way I dealt with it is removing part of the quote.

If there's nested quotes and spoilers involved, especially if one of the spoilers contains more nested quotes, it can screw things up big-time. Just snip stuff you aren't responding to.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:40 am UTC

Image

I did a quick look back through the last few NePages and I didn't see where anyone's mentioned this, but is the tower on the right of the top platform that Cueball made supposed to be a silhouette of this???

Spoiler:
Image


Another riff on "Time" by Lord Randall???
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

vvn
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:34 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby vvn » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:44 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:I did a quick look back through the last few NePages and I didn't see where anyone's mentioned this, but is the tower on the right of the top platform that Cueball made supposed to be a silhouette of this???

I don't personally get that. But, I see the similarity. And, I like the idea.

User avatar
Latent22
Posts: 622
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:57 pm UTC
Location: NZ

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Latent22 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:46 am UTC

vvn wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:I did a quick look back through the last few NePages and I didn't see where anyone's mentioned this, but is the tower on the right of the top platform that Cueball made supposed to be a silhouette of this???

I don't personally get that. But, I see the similarity. And, I like the idea.

I think it is a Temporal Bishop to go with the Temporal Rooks

User avatar
chem1190c
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:59 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby chem1190c » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:46 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:
mscha wrote:[spoiler]
HAL9000 wrote:Don't think it's been pointed out, but since Megan's tumble, the central tower (with the recursion) is tilted downwards on the right side, as if it slided. Which makes sense, for wet sand.

No change on the right side of the tower. Comparison of two frames, before and after the tumble:[/qpoiler]
[img /img]

Could anyone gen together something so that you could time the frame number or time&date of two frames and automatically produce these red green images? I'm not computer savvy so no idea if it would work.

Also, long time lurker, short time registrererer, and had to post for The one true comic. All hail Pope/Mope/Mome/Pome Blitzgirl (i refuse to acknowledge the papacy of chem1190c)

mscha has been making a lot of the comparison images, they may be able to help you.

Also, I officially declare myself Pope-for-a-Newpage, if histrion is willing to abdicate the title.


I salute the Pope-of-the-moment HAL9000!

ETA: Catching up on the NewPages I'd missed and I'm very glad to see that Megan didn't kick the bucket during her fall!

*tips hat*
For my first papal decree, I mandate that everyone sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.
EDIT: Damn, too late!


Wait, when did that happen? Apparently I was de-pope'd before anyone event let me know I had been pope'd in the first place? Aww :cry:
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

User avatar
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic
Posts: 4556
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:28 am UTC
Location: Left coast of Canada

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby poxic » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:48 am UTC

Poping is somewhat willy-nilly around here.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever


Should we decimate the language, irregardless, as our pregenitors should of proscribed? Like, literally like putting the car before the horse. Sounds like a damp squid, and a mute point, so I'm adverse to it and include me out.
-- Soupspoon

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:51 am UTC

I CAUGHT UP!!! And probably all of the Quote responses I had been keeping are TOTALLY (Like totally, like it's soooo bitchen) irrelevant now. But I probably won't let that stop me.

User avatar
tman2nd
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:56 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere south of the North Poll

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby tman2nd » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:00 am UTC

Image
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

User avatar
Mycroft_147
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:12 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Mycroft_147 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:00 am UTC

Upper scaffold, bottom of right leg, strange little loop thing at the railing. Is that rope?

cmyk wrote:Why rot13?


I once thought it was homage to the original 13 American colonies--which used to be a lucky number. I was sad to learn the Alphabet had 26 letters and rot13 moved them exactly halfway round--or as far from the original letter as is possible, making it just as easy to crack. And was sadder to notice I was studying cryptography before making any serious recognition that the alphabet had 26 letters.* Side-note: I've always been a little school-boy partial to the Vigenere Square. That grid is just beautiful!

*I am not exaggerating.

Edit: I once coded a cubed version of the square which shuffled just like a Rubik's cube, based on the key. Plotted the cipher based on 3D coordinates. I wish to Randall the Almighty I knew how to view a graphic representation of that action a la Swordfish.
Last edited by Mycroft_147 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This is my croft. There are many like it. But this one is mine.

I am from the Before Time, in the Long Long Ago

Founder of THIS
(The Temporal Hypotheses and Intelligence Society)

(Leaves behind another piece of candy for Blitzgirl.)

User avatar
macraw83
Posts: 596
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Present (L:13)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby macraw83 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:06 am UTC

Purplepants77 wrote:
macraw83 wrote:
EDIT: Oh no, I'm the Pope this page...


Poor unrecognized PFAP of Newpage 351. The nerve of some people...

All hail ye Great Temporary Holiness! May we follow in thyne Holy Papal footsteps for now and for all Time*

*Newpage 351

Thanks, you are too kind. Luckily, the Popeship has now passed on to someone else, and I can go back to being a lurker who occasionally posts.
Caswallon wrote:
htom wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Spoiler:
Caswallon wrote:
cmyk wrote:Image

Damnit, now I can't stop laughing!

Edit: Sorry for the double post ;)


:)
I'd be shocked if the mods even bother with this thread anymore.
They may be letting us go, planning to use this thread as a test environment for future moderators. Those who pass that qualifying test, get to take the test again with the MADNESS turned on to see if they can be driven insane by the users.
From the Forum Rules:
5. Try and keep off-topic posts controlled. If the thread you want to post in seems off-topic, post anyway. On-topic posts always take precedence over off-topic.

Off-topic posts are rife in this forum. We maintain a very casual atmosphere here where conversation can flow quite freely - however, we have our limits. If off-topic posts get too over the top, the thread may be split or locked, so try and keep off-topic posts controlled. You are welcome to start a new thread and continue the new discussion there, or throw up a report if you feel it is necessary for us to split the thread.

So, how many threads do you think this would need to be split into?

At least 8, not sure how long it has been since this was updated: http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_off_topic_discussions
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:07 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:Image


OK, Megan's finished her (clock?) tower, and now it looks more like Big Ben than his did. It seems a little thicker than Cueball's and more like the proper silhouette (or am I mistaken?). But then, what is Cueball's? Any other clock towers a better match to that shape?
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:08 am UTC

Oooh, that's the best idea yet!!:
Spoiler:
boozledorf wrote:Is this some sort of origin story for the world??

Interesting idea:
Spoiler:
elementropy wrote:Given the way the dialogue seems to show two people trying to understand the particular geographic and weather phenomena of their surrounding environment, is anyone else finding themselves reminded of The Hunger Games?

Oh me yarm you are totally right!!:
Spoiler:
StormAngel wrote:
XonqNopp wrote:/^(B|D|G)ONG$/
Image

You forgot (P)ONGS
They appear to be sitting in a rather similar pose as one from near the beginning of time, see for example Frame #6
Image

:( I don't get it... :
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:<snip>
Abso-posit-lute-ivly!!!
"Time is amazing, each moment that occurs;
the more I learn of it, the less I know it.
Hail Blitzgirl, of the massive titulars:
Time traveler, inspiration, and poet!"

--Anon

Since Buffygirl missed it:
Massive titulars. Heh.

Hat Abuse!!:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
KarMann wrote:Actually, "defen[cs]e" is one of those words that can go either way, but is mostly spelled one way in the U.S., a different way just about everywhere else.
Actually, it's spelled one way just about everywhere, and mostly spelled a different way in the U.S. :P

"Defence" means to remove the chain-link boundary around your property.
"Defense" means to put it back up again as protection.

Naah. To remove a fence, you need the hyphen...

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You can't just warp into hyphenspace at the drop of a hat. You need a Holtzman Drive and a navigator first...
...well, unless the other team is inside your 20-yard line, then you can use your Redzone de-fense. Or, if you play Canadian football, you can use your Red Green de-fense...

Wow, you are amazing:
Spoiler:
Latent22 wrote:Ok everyone there is a cool new feature in The Book of Time. Go to any page (except the last few as I haven't updated them yet) and there is a link at the bottom that takes you to that newpix's point in the Forum thread. So if you know the newpix number you want to investigate you can go to that page in the book of time and then use the link to get there quickly without having to search through the forum. Also this is useful if you want to edit a Book of Time page and want to see what was talked about at that Time to know what to add.

------------------------------------------------
AND:

Valarya wrote:
kryton wrote:Oh my aching head, how long did I coma?
Why was the Apex Bishop of the Conclave of Eastern Unorthodox TimeWaiters wearing Helper's hat?
Has anyone seen my hat for that matter, or my cloak, or my fuzzy slippers?
Also, I left the collection plates around here somewhere, has any one seen them?

It's been ages... but no fear, silent_death has picked up the plate-duties and has already collected several useful things* which do NOT include hats because we don't get hungup on all that hat stuff
*read the missed newpages for details

I have all the hats

User avatar
chem1190c
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:59 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby chem1190c » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:10 am UTC

Mycroft_147 wrote:Upper scaffold, bottom of right leg, strange little loop thing at the railing. Is that rope?

cmyk wrote:Why rot13?


I once thought it was homage to the original 13 American colonies--which used to be a lucky number. I was sad to learn the Alphabet had 26 letters and rot13 moved them exactly halfway round--or as far from the original letter as is possible, making it just as easy to crack. And was sadder to notice I was studying cryptography before making any serious recognition that the alphabet had 26 letters.* Side-note: I've always been a little school-boy partial to the Vigenere Square. That grid is just beautiful!

*I am not exaggerating.


I believe you're mistaken. If we are to take the 2003 Battlestar Galactica reboot as a literal analogy for US history, then there were actually only 12 original American colonies... and the 13th colony was a post-apocylptic wasteland populated by humanoid Cylons with a Bob Dylan fetish.
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

vvn
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:34 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby vvn » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:19 am UTC

cmyk wrote:Why rot13?


Before the Eternal September, when Usenet ruled the internet, rot13 was used when making a potentially offending post. This allowed the reader to choose whether to read it, and to "be warned." 13 was chosen because encode and decode are the same function. (Obviously message security was not important.)

As far as why it is used by the (nonexistent) Illuminati? Easy access to a decoder ring/website would be my guess.
Now that they were discovered by a Black Hat, will they shift to PGP?
Last edited by vvn on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jjjdavidson
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 pm UTC
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:19 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
vvn wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:I did a quick look back through the last few NePages and I didn't see where anyone's mentioned this, but is the tower on the right of the top platform that Cueball made supposed to be a silhouette of this???

I don't personally get that. But, I see the similarity. And, I like the idea.

I think it is a Temporal Bishop to go with the Temporal Rooks

Oooh! Oooh! 3D (2.5D?) chess!
spock_chess_pb.jpg
(In grayscale, yet!)
spock_chess_pb.jpg (25.35 KiB) Viewed 7406 times
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

User avatar
chem1190c
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:59 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby chem1190c » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:21 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Latent22 wrote:
vvn wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:I did a quick look back through the last few NePages and I didn't see where anyone's mentioned this, but is the tower on the right of the top platform that Cueball made supposed to be a silhouette of this???

I don't personally get that. But, I see the similarity. And, I like the idea.

I think it is a Temporal Bishop to go with the Temporal Rooks

Oooh! Oooh! 3D (2.5D?) chess!
spock_chess_pb.jpg


This is pretty much exactly what 3D chess would look like if it were being played in a 2.5D stickfigure universe!

edit: actually, a lot of people have been suggesting that this is a 2.5D universe without much in the way of numerical rigor. For starters, I feel like we can do a lot better than 2 sig figs. Now clearly, there's still too much experimental uncertainty to settle on 2.5000D. That's just ridiculous. I propose that it should be henceforth referred to as a (2.49999 +/- 0.00001)D universe for no particular reason.
Last edited by chem1190c on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

User avatar
Mycroft_147
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:12 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Mycroft_147 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:24 am UTC

chem1190c wrote:
I believe you're mistaken. If we are to take the 2003 Battlestar Galactica reboot as a literal analogy for US history, then there were actually only 12 original American colonies... and the 13th colony was a post-apocylptic wasteland populated by humanoid Cylons with a Bob Dylan fetish.

Do they count as Americans? Can an eventual evolutionary social subset be counted among an earlier set? I don't know, you may have an excellent point. Either way, one day we maniacs are finally, really, going to do it. We'll blow it up! And some day someone is going to damn us all to hell for it.
This is my croft. There are many like it. But this one is mine.

I am from the Before Time, in the Long Long Ago

Founder of THIS
(The Temporal Hypotheses and Intelligence Society)

(Leaves behind another piece of candy for Blitzgirl.)

User avatar
Asthanius
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Asthanius » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:34 am UTC

chem1190c wrote:
Mycroft_147 wrote:Upper scaffold, bottom of right leg, strange little loop thing at the railing. Is that rope?

cmyk wrote:Why rot13?


I once thought it was homage to the original 13 American colonies--which used to be a lucky number. I was sad to learn the Alphabet had 26 letters and rot13 moved them exactly halfway round--or as far from the original letter as is possible, making it just as easy to crack. And was sadder to notice I was studying cryptography before making any serious recognition that the alphabet had 26 letters.* Side-note: I've always been a little school-boy partial to the Vigenere Square. That grid is just beautiful!

*I am not exaggerating.


I believe you're mistaken. If we are to take the 2003 Battlestar Galactica reboot as a literal analogy for US history, then there were actually only 12 original American colonies... and the 13th colony was a post-apocylptic wasteland populated by humanoid Cylons with a Bob Dylan fetish.

You're talking about South Carolina, right?

Also, I just Pope'd myself.
Does anybody have any idea of what the hell energy is? It's the thing that, when applied to something, gives itself to the thing so that the thing can expend it, applying it to other things in multiple forms of it. What the hell is it?

User avatar
jjjdavidson
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 pm UTC
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:36 am UTC

Argh! buffygirl's already bailed out again. I've been missing connections with her lately. I wanted to ask...
jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:
Image
Is it just me, or do those towers look like a pair of crenellated hats?

I want a crenellated hat!

...if I could have a crenellated hat.

Argh #2! Holding on to this post, waiting for someone to post post #14081. Not ready to be PFAP. (Not without a hat, anyway.) (("post post #14081" - is that double posting?))

Argh #3! Really stalling, now. Looks like nobody's ready to be PFAP. At this rate, buffygirl'll be back before I post.

Aha! Ten minutes later, I can post! All hail PFAP Asthanius!
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:38 am UTC

buffygirl wrote::( I don't get it... :
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:<snip>
Abso-posit-lute-ivly!!!
"Time is amazing, each moment that occurs;
the more I learn of it, the less I know it.
Hail Blitzgirl, of the massive titulars:
Time traveler, inspiration, and poet!"

--Anon

Since Buffygirl missed it:
Massive titulars. Heh.

You've made that sort of comment before, at least if my memory serves me correctly. And the 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
StormAngel
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:09 am UTC
Location: Verified
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StormAngel » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:38 am UTC

Wow, I coma'd through at least 6 NewPages, but I'm finally back in the present again.
Now I just need to wait for it to be unwrapped...
Whizbang wrote:I vote 404. It has the most emotion of them all.

I can't find that one. Link please?

lmjb1964 wrote:
airdrik wrote:
Exodies wrote:Why is the castle being under cut by the under current when Megan's Nub wasn't?

Difference in construction. The sandcastle was built to have a nice appearance and was not created to withstand the coming of the tide. The nub/dyke/whatever was built to hold back the tide (for a period of Time).

Or in other words, because Lord Randall dictated it to work that way.

Also, the castle was built by Cueball, and the dike (NOT dyke! Different thing entirely!) by Megan. Just sayin'.

silent_death wrote:What I am actually much more surprised about is how fast the Castle erodes because of the incoming tide....the very narrow (possibly infinitly into 2D space reaching) dike she built did hold up the water for a very long time, and the castlewalls seem to be crumbling as soon as the water touches them.
This definitly tells us that the dike must have been made out of a different material.

Maybe Megan mixed the sand with superglue?
I remember there were some discussions about the compositon and hydrophobic-ness of various materials. What it the PFAP's official view on this subject?
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order
Purveyor of Pepsi, the One True Beverage
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

Image

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:40 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Argh! buffygirl's already bailed out again. I've been missing connections with her lately. I wanted to ask...
jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:
Image
Is it just me, or do those towers look like a pair of crenellated hats?

I want a crenellated hat!

...if I could have a crenellated hat.

Argh #2! Holding on to this post, waiting for someone to post post #14081. Not ready to be PFAP. (Not without a hat, anyway.) (("post post #14081" - is that double posting?))

Argh #3! Really stalling, now. Looks like nobody's ready to be PFAP. At this rate, buffygirl'll be back before I post.

Aha! Ten minutes later, I can post! All hail PFAP Asthanius!

Asthanius was already PFAN today, as was I. You are currently Pope for this page, and if you abdicate, the title goes to StormAngel.
EDIT: PFAN is Pope For A Newpage.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
Asthanius
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Asthanius » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:42 am UTC

StormAngel wrote:Wow, I coma'd through at least 6 NewPages, but I'm finally back in the present again.
Now I just need to wait for it to be unwrapped...
Whizbang wrote:I vote 404. It has the most emotion of them all.

I can't find that one. Link please?

lmjb1964 wrote:
airdrik wrote:
Exodies wrote:Why is the castle being under cut by the under current when Megan's Nub wasn't?

Difference in construction. The sandcastle was built to have a nice appearance and was not created to withstand the coming of the tide. The nub/dyke/whatever was built to hold back the tide (for a period of Time).

Or in other words, because Lord Randall dictated it to work that way.

Also, the castle was built by Cueball, and the dike (NOT dyke! Different thing entirely!) by Megan. Just sayin'.

silent_death wrote:What I am actually much more surprised about is how fast the Castle erodes because of the incoming tide....the very narrow (possibly infinitly into 2D space reaching) dike she built did hold up the water for a very long time, and the castlewalls seem to be crumbling as soon as the water touches them.
This definitly tells us that the dike must have been made out of a different material.

Maybe Megan mixed the sand with superglue?
I remember there were some discussions about the compositon and hydrophobic-ness of various materials. What it the PFAP's official view on this subject?

xkcd has its own logic that is combined in strange yet sometimes predictable ways with Outsider logic. Officially, my official view is that the only official view is Randall's official view.
Also, HAL, I seem to believe that I was given the title of PFAN by you, and thus did not actually earn it. You, on the other hand, did earn it at one point.
Does anybody have any idea of what the hell energy is? It's the thing that, when applied to something, gives itself to the thing so that the thing can expend it, applying it to other things in multiple forms of it. What the hell is it?


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], karhell, mscha and 40 guests