1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HAL9000
Not Red

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:43 am UTC

Asthanius wrote:<snip>
Also, HAL, I seem to believe that I was given the title of PFAP by you, and thus did not actually earn it. You, on the other hand, did earn it at one point.

You received it because the original Pope for that Newpage abdicated, I was the second poster on the page, and I had just been PFAN.
EDIT: snipping time!
EDIT2: You were third on the page, and I was ineligible for the position of PFAN. As I am yet again.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:45 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Also, HAL, I seem to believe that I was given the title of PFAP by you, and thus did not actually earn it. You, on the other hand, did earn it at one point.

You received it because the original Pope for that Newpage abdicated, I was the second poster on the page, and I had just been PFAN.

I can't help but feel that "It's snipping time" would be a great catchphrase for a mohel superhero/villain.
Last edited by Asthanius on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Does anybody have any idea of what the hell energy is? It's the thing that, when applied to something, gives itself to the thing so that the thing can expend it, applying it to other things in multiple forms of it. What the hell is it?

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:45 am UTC

Mycroft_147 wrote:Edit: I once coded a cubed version of the square which shuffled just like a Rubik's cube, based on the key. Plotted the cipher based on 3D coordinates. I wish to Randall the Almighty I knew how to view a graphic representation of that action a la Swordfish.

Interesting. For purely academic reasons, I might try to take that idea and create a working, interactive, CG model/app of it. Might be far more complicated from an expression-driven basis than I'm thinking of now (and it usually is). So, in that regard, no promises, and with all due credit of course.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:46 am UTC

Asthanius wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

I can't help but feel that "It's snipping time" would be a great catchphrase for a mohel superhero/villain.

Or the tagline for a really bad slasher flick.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:47 am UTC

vvn wrote:
cmyk wrote:Why rot13?
Before the Eternal September, when Usenet ruled the internet, rot13 was used when making a potentially offending post. This allowed the reader to choose whether to read it, and to "be warned." 13 was chosen because encode and decode are the same function. (Obviously message security was not important.)

As far as why it is used by the (nonexistent) Illuminati? Easy access to a decoder ring/website would be my guess.
Now that they were discovered by a Black Hat, will they shift to PGP?

Eh, if they existed, which they don't. I'm quite sure that the Temporal Illuminati are actually quite lazy, and it is so much effort to choose a new code.

Ol qrpbqvat guvf zrffntr, lbh ner abj n fjbea zrzore bs gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv naq zhfg fjrne gb hcubyq gur olynjf.

1. Gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv qb abg rkvfg
2. Ab ernyyl, gurl qba'g
3. Abj gung vf pyrne, bhe tbny vf jbeyq qbzvangvba!
4. Ohg gung vf bayl vs gurl npghnyyl rkvfgrq.
5. Jr cebzvfr, ernyyl. *jvax*
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:47 am UTC

StormAngel wrote:Maybe Megan mixed the sand with superglue?
I remember there were some discussions about the compositon and hydrophobic-ness of various materials. What it the PFAP's official view on this subject?

That one just doesn't work.. It's actually not all that difficult to wet a hydrophobic surface from air (or vacuum), or so I've been told.

edit: Oh dear .. I just had to stop myself from actually looking up hamaker constants for various chemically modified silica surfaces. I think I may be getting a bit carried away here.
Last edited by chem1190c on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:49 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:All hail PFAP Asthanius!

Asthanius was already PFAN today, as was I. You are currently Pope for this page, and if you abdicate, the title goes to StormAngel.

I'd put this in my sig, if it didn't already have exactly 300 characters :(

*Researches duties of Pope/Mome* to make sure I'm ready, just in case.
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order
Purveyor of Pepsi, the One True Beverage
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:49 am UTC

5. Try and keep off-topic posts controlled. If the thread you want to post in seems off-topic, post anyway. On-topic posts always take precedence over off-topic.

Off-topic posts are rife in this forum. We maintain a very casual atmosphere here where conversation can flow quite freely - however, we have our limits. If off-topic posts get too over the top, the thread may be split or locked, so try and keep off-topic posts controlled. You are welcome to start a new thread and continue the new discussion there, or throw up a report if you feel it is necessary for us to split the thread.

Is it off-topic to mention that I went to a concert Outside this evening? Does it revert to relevant/on-topic if I tell you how disturbed I was to see the conductor ruthlessly beating Time???
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:52 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Asthanius wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Does anybody have any idea of what the hell energy is? It's the thing that, when applied to something, gives itself to the thing so that the thing can expend it, applying it to other things in multiple forms of it. What the hell is it?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:54 am UTC

Asthanius wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Asthanius wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/bpwv1Fh.png[img]

You, sir, win this page. My hat is off to you.

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:54 am UTC

StormAngel wrote:I'd put this in my sig, if it didn't already have exactly 300 characters :(

That can be easily remedied by removing all the vowels from your current signature. Should free up a bunch of characters.. might have a slight impact on readability.

Mycroft_147

Postby Mycroft_147 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:55 am UTC

cmyk wrote:
Spoiler:
Mycroft_147 wrote:Edit: I once coded a cubed version of the square which shuffled just like a Rubik's cube, based on the key. Plotted the cipher based on 3D coordinates. I wish to Randall the Almighty I knew how to view a graphic representation of that action a la Swordfish.

Interesting. For purely academic reasons, I might try to take that idea and create a working, interactive, CG model/app of it. Might be far more complicated from an expression-driven basis than I'm thinking of now (and it usually is). So, in that regard, no promises, and with all due credit of course.

Holy... :o I... I'm totally fangirling now. And I'm a guy, so...yeah. lol
This is my croft. There are many like it. But this one is mine.

I am from the Before Time, in the Long Long Ago

Founder of THIS
(The Temporal Hypotheses and Intelligence Society)

(Leaves behind another piece of candy for Blitzgirl.)

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:57 am UTC

Mycroft_147 wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Spoiler:

Best part is, cmyk could probably do it. After all, he holds the Staff of Pixels1.

1I swear it's not a sex thing.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:59 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Asthanius was already PFAN today, as was I. You are currently Pope for this page, and if you abdicate, the title goes to StormAngel.
EDIT: PFAN is Pope For A Newpage.

...it is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.
So clearly, my evil plan has worked perfectly! my futile attempts to avoid Pope-hood indicate my suitability for the position, as does my complete inability to keep track of who's already been PFAN today, or even to remember the proper form of the title.

But I still think I need a hat to do the job properly. Ah, well...

The Blessings of Time upon you all. May Time always be on your side. Carpe Newpicem.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:00 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Asthanius wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Or the catch-phrase of a bad situation comedy about a sheepherder from the small island of Mypos who moves to America, lives with his cousin, and becomes a doctor specializing in circumcisions...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:02 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Mycroft_147 wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Spoiler:

Best part is, cmyk could probably do it. After all, he holds the Staff of Pixels1.

Oh, really? Then pray tell, what is this Staff of Pixels?
Spoiler:
Wait no hold on it's not what you think it's a thumb

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:03 am UTC

Pretty uneventful update:

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:07 am UTC

chem1190c wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
Latent22 wrote:
vvn wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:I did a quick look back through the last few NePages and I didn't see where anyone's mentioned this, but is the tower on the right of the top platform that Cueball made supposed to be a silhouette of this???

I don't personally get that. But, I see the similarity. And, I like the idea.

I think it is a Temporal Bishop to go with the Temporal Rooks

Oooh! Oooh! 3D (2.5D?) chess!
spock_chess_pb.jpg

This is pretty much exactly what 3D chess would look like if it were being played in a 2.5D stickfigure universe!

edit: actually, a lot of people have been suggesting that this is a 2.5D universe without much in the way of numerical rigor. For starters, I feel like we can do a lot better than 2 sig figs. Now clearly, there's still too much experimental uncertainty to settle on 2.5000D. That's just ridiculous. I propose that it should be henceforth referred to as a (2.49999 +/- 0.00001)D universe for no particular reason.

In fact, it's far more complicated than that.

It is a holographic projection of an 8D universe — 3 real spacial dimensions and 1 of time / 3 imaginary spacial dimensions with a likewise imaginary dimension of time.

This lays the framework of Complex Spacetime, and as matter accelerates toward the speed of light, its mass/energy is actually being transformed from the real spacetime axis, into the imaginary spacetime (thus resolving the paradoxes of singularities and relativistic time dilation as spacial dimensions would appear to reduce to a point, and time would appear to freeze to an observer).

These characters have been in the process of crossing one threshold into another, the r/i event horizon, if you will, and to get technical, time-wimey dimentional whatchamaweirdness begins to happen to the tides and structural integrity of sandcastle platforms.

That, or it's artistic license on an illustrated comic.
Last edited by cmyk on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:38 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:08 am UTC

Asthanius wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Mycroft_147 wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Actually, it's just this, albeit from a different angle (viewed slightly from above):
Spoiler:

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:11 am UTC

Mycroft_147 wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Spoiler:

HA, hey, it's your idea, so so am I! Let's have pillow fight, jump on the bed and squeal!

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:12 am UTC

Asthanius wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Mycroft_147 wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Whoa! I thought this was a family forum!

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:15 am UTC

chem1190c wrote:
StormAngel wrote:I'd put this in my sig, if it didn't already have exactly 300 characters :(

That can be easily remedied by removing all the vowels from your current signature. Should free up a bunch of characters.. might have a slight impact on readability.

Ys ndd, t mght hv tht ffct

chem1190c wrote:Pretty uneventful update:

Pretty? It looks rather plain to me. Still, nothing much is happening.

Spoiler:
Ch*rp

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:17 am UTC

StormAngel wrote:Pretty? It looks rather plain to me. Still, nothing much is happening.

Right? These characters totally need to get a life!

...How long til the next NewPic?!

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:18 am UTC

cmyk wrote:
StormAngel wrote:Pretty? It looks rather plain to me. Still, nothing much is happening.

Too long! You just have to wait for it

Spoiler:
Ch*rp

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:24 am UTC

StormAngel wrote:
cmyk wrote:

Too long! You just have to wait for it

Wait for it? Sounds familiar.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:26 am UTC

Caswallon wrote:
vvn wrote:
Before the Eternal September, when Usenet ruled the internet, rot13 was used when making a potentially offending post. This allowed the reader to choose whether to read it, and to "be warned." 13 was chosen because encode and decode are the same function. (Obviously message security was not important.)

As far as why it is used by the (nonexistent) Illuminati? Easy access to a decoder ring/website would be my guess.

Eh, if they existed, which they don't. I'm quite sure that the Temporal Illuminati are actually quite lazy, and it is so much effort to choose a new code.

Ol qrpbqvat guvf zrffntr, lbh ner abj n fjbea zrzore bs gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv naq zhfg fjrne gb hcubyq gur olynjf.

2. Ab ernyyl, gurl qba'g

Jryy, fuvg.

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:33 am UTC

cmyk wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
Spoiler:
vvn wrote:

2. Ab ernyyl, gurl qba'g

Jryy, fuvg.

Netu! Fhpxrerq! "Grezf bs Freivpr: 1. Lbh nterr abg gb ernq gur Grezf bs Freivpr..."
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:39 am UTC

cmyk wrote:
StormAngel wrote:Too long! You just have to wait for it

Wait for it? Sounds familiar.

And so it should, for it was the first commandment given to us by Randall the Creator of Time.

jjjdavidson wrote:
cmyk wrote:Jryy, fuvg.

Netu! Fhpxrerq!

Netu? Now there's a planet i haven't been to in a LongTime

Spoiler:
Ch*rp

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:50 am UTC

StormAngel wrote:
Whizbang wrote:I vote 404. It has the most emotion of them all.

I can't find that one. Link please?

403 was when the subminiature trebuchet was ready for its close-up, Mr. DeMille. 404 was the immediately following in which they were cheering on rampant destruction by trebuchet:
Spoiler:
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:00 am UTC

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:13 am UTC

Been meaning to ask. What are people using to build the various animated GIFs? (The antique tool I used to use doesn't know PNG files exist; I'd have to convert every frame to BMP or GIF.)

I found a website or two, but I don't think I want to try and sequence several hundred images thru a web page.
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:15 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
tman2nd wrote:
Spoiler:

OK, Megan's finished her (clock?) tower, and now it looks more like Big Ben than his did. It seems a little thicker than Cueball's and more like the proper silhouette (or am I mistaken?). But then, what is Cueball's? Any other clock towers a better match to that shape?

Does the tiny tower on the top right (that C built) look like a skinnier version of Frisch's Big Boy to anyone else? It's that soft-serve swirly look to the top, I think. :D

KarMann wrote:
StormAngel wrote:

403 was when the subminiature trebuchet was ready for its close-up, Mr. DeMille. 404 was the immediately following in which they were cheering on rampant destruction by trebuchet:
Spoiler:

.... you totally spaced on that joke.

"image 404" -- "I can't find that one." ..... yes? yes? get it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECUrlnXCqk
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:17 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Been meaning to ask. What are people using to build the various animated GIFs? (The antique tool I used to use doesn't know PNG files exist; I'd have to convert every frame to BMP or GIF.)

I found a website or two, but I don't think I want to try and sequence several hundred images thru a web page.

For me? Bring out the GIMP. Although I started with a base made with ImageMagick's convert for the first couple hundred, but since then, I've been adding them one-by-one, or a half dozen or so at a time after a coma, with the GIMP, and optimizing it to keep the size reasonable before making it a GIF.

Added:
Valarya wrote:
KarMann wrote:
StormAngel wrote:

Spoiler:

.... you totally spaced on that joke.

I totally did not space on that, just decided to play it straight nonetheless. (For bonus delicious irony*, I'm a web developer (currently) whose address number is 503.)

* in the loose sense, I think
Last edited by KarMann on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Valiant Cookie

Postby Valiant Cookie » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:18 am UTC

Work doer Megan is back down on the ground again! Determined to fill the scaffolding with sand before the semencaffeinecancerbaby liquid destroys all.

Cueball continues to slowly work by turning his head.

EDIT: AHA! I return to read the NewPages and find that some forum sorcery bumped me into Pope For A Page! Alas the time to abuse my power has past for those in the present present. I content myself with a message for the future presents of Blitzgirl and others who traverse this needle pulled thingy. As Pope I bestow unto anyone that reads these words as they follow the flow of time towards the future, the position of Archbishop of the Past. You may accept this title and use it's power with a message to your current future, however you must relinquish this title as soon as you reach the most future present, or as soon as you see a post from someone else accepting the title that is after your post accepting the title.

I choose to ignore the false prophets on this page claiming to have the power of the Papacy, they are beneath me.
Last edited by Valiant Cookie on Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:11 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Is it time? Yes.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:25 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
Valarya wrote:.... you totally spaced on that joke.

I totally did not space on that, just decided to play it straight nonetheless. (For bonus delicious irony*, I'm a web developer (currently) whose address number is 503.)

* in the loose sense, I think

Hah!!

(edit: Pope twice in a day.. but since that cannot be, and as I belong to the Unorthodox's, I make my first and last papal decree that the person posting after this, as long as he or she has not yet been PFAP today, will be immediately be granted all PFAP powers. that's so much more fun to say than PFAN
Last edited by Valarya on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:28 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:26 am UTC

Randall's blessing upon you, as I pass the hat (which I never got, by the way) to my successor, and greetings to the new Pope (or Mome, as the case may be). Randall rest ye merry, Timewaiters all; must go coma.

(Naq V'z abg n Grzcbeny Vyyhzvanghf - gurer'f ab fhpu guvat.)
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:28 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:I have all the hats

Tarnish notte the majesty of my1 towering pillar of hats...

[1]I claim ownership since I'm posting the image.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:30 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:

You can have my hat when you pry it from my cold, dead head.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:39 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:

Is that you?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:44 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:

Spoiler:

Is that you?

Nope, not enough panache, literally.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”