1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:39 pm UTC

Jafloi wrote:If anybody is curious what was the original reason I posted this:
Jafloi wrote:If you had to pick just one timeframe to symbolise the whole of the One True Comic, witch would it be? I need just that for a outside-originated project, but can not decide witch to use... preferably one before NP 124, for the simplicity. Can you help?

...Then some of the answer can be viewed below:
Spoiler:

If not, then I suppose you should just continue with your life in some way or another..

[Edit:](Hopefully) fixing pic...

Beautiful! I also had to go to the image location, which I didn't know you could do till Latent22 mentioned it. (I'm revealing my lack of geekiness here. I don't even know what this hashing is that all y'all are always talking about. In the Externalities comic, when I went to the page that said "Data to hash," I tried "corned beef," but it didn't work.)

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:42 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
SBN wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:But I am curious. Just when exactly did this 300+ page discussion get meaningful?

Page 404.

Anu, gur ynfg cntr, vs vg rkvfgf, jvyy gehyl or gur zbfg zrnavatshy.

Vs vg qbrfa'g, gura gur svefg cntr vf.

RGN: Url, ybbx, V'z orvat dhbgrq va fbzrbar'f fvt!

V jbhyqa'g trg gbb rkpvgrq. V'z fher ur'yy qral gung uvf fvtangher rira rkvfgf...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:42 pm UTC

Flado wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote: we can have Pre-diluvian and Antediluvian Epochs.

I bet the Latin Police already took care of that, but here it is just in case: pre- and ante- mean the same thing.

The Western Paradox Church will retain loving memories of its neglected Transcedental Imaginator.
Flado wrote:We have a vacancy for a Transcedental Imaginator.

Transcedental!? Oops... No, I meant Transcendental! Really! No! No! Noooooo...

Well, you can have an antecedent (which comes before something else, I know...) so why not a transcedent? But yeah, never noticed my own sig had a spelling error. I mean, no it didn't, it was spelled right the whole time...

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
histrion wrote:RGN: Url, ybbx, V'z orvat dhbgrq va fbzrbar'f fvt!

V jbhyqa'g trg gbb rkpvgrq. V'z fher ur'yy qral gung uvf fvtangher rira rkvfgf...

Jryy, zl fvt rkvfgf, vgf whfg gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv jub qba'g rkvfg, V guvax, hayrff gurl qb, naq V nz n zrzore, juvpu V'z abg, fb ab, gurl qba'g rkvfg... *jvax*
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

histrion

Postby histrion » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

V whfg abgvprq: Barf + Ebg13 = Ones!

<ETA For Ease of Blitzgirl:
Spoiler:
I just noticed: Ones + Rot13 = Barf!
>
Last edited by histrion on Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:48 pm UTC

Abbb! Guvf uvaqref zl fpebyyvat fcrrq naq erdhverf jbex. Qbrf abg yvxr!!! Tnnnu.

V zbgvba gung Pnfjnyyba vf arire gb or nyybjrq CSNC/CSNA cbcvrarff ntnva. Nygubhtu V qb ybir phcpnxrf.... Qnzavg.

EDIT: Non-rot13 text, for Blitzgirl, below:
Spoiler:
Nooo! This hinders my scrolling speed and requires work. Does not like!!! Gaaah.

I motion that Caswallon is never to be allowed PFAP/PFAN popieness again. Although I do love cupcakes.... Damnit.
Last edited by Valarya on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:56 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:50 pm UTC

Splendid idea about the rot13 encryption Caswallon, one can never be too careful.
As a matter of fact, to be extra secure, I encrypted my post twice.

I propose we all start doing that from now on until the end of Time.
Last edited by AionArap on Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

histrion wrote:V whfg abgvprq: Barf + Ebg13 = Ones!

Jbnu, rira penmvre vf guvf: jura V gevrq gb cbfg zl ynfg ercyl, gur sben vasbezrq zr gurer jnf na hcqngr fvapr V'q orra glcvat. Vg jnf lbh.. naq vg jnf va Ratyvfu ba gung cbfgvat cntr. Gur sben genafyngrq vg sbe zr naq xarj jung lbh jrer fnlvat!!! Vf gung fhccbfrq gb unccra?

EDIT: non-rot13 text, for Blitzgirl, below:
Spoiler:
Woah, even crazier is this: when I tried to post my last reply, the fora informed me there was an update since I'd been typing. It was you.. and it was in English on that posting page. The fora translated it for me and knew what you were saying!!! Is that supposed to happen?
Last edited by Valarya on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

StormAngel wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:[snip]

Missed it by THAT much.

I find that very hard to believe!

I know, right?

StormAngel wrote:
Spoiler:
I also find it hard to believe that nobody already thought to make this:

Nice! Let's see, how would that work as a Garfield Minus Garfield?

Caswallon wrote:As my declaration of Popieness for the new page, I ask that all posts, beyond this first one be written in ROT13!!!!http://rot13.com/index.php

OK, you do realize this will just slow Blitzgirl down even more when she gets here, right?

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:53 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:As my declaration of Popieness for the new page, I ask that all posts, beyond this first one be written in ROT13!!!!

Oh, please... The Madness was bad enough. Well, at least this is a decree that we can ignore. (The multiple exclamation marks make that easy to do without feeling guilty.)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

histrion

Postby histrion » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:

Jbnu, rira penmvre vf guvf: jura V gevrq gb cbfg zl ynfg ercyl, gur sben vasbezrq zr gurer jnf na hcqngr fvapr V'q orra glcvat. Vg jnf lbh.. naq vg jnf va Ratyvfu ba gung cbfgvat cntr. Gur sben genafyngrq vg sbe zr naq xarj jung lbh jrer fnlvat!!! Vf gung fhccbfrq gb unccra?

Gung jbhyq or fhcre-jrveq! Vs V unqa'g nppvqragnyyl cbfgrq vg va Ratyvfu svefg, gura rqvgrq vg gb qb gur ebg13.

Spoiler:
That would be super-weird! If I hadn't accidentally posted it in English first, then edited it to do the rot13.
>
Last edited by histrion on Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:BX, lbh qb ernyvmr guvf jvyy whfg fybj Oyvgmtvey qbja rira zber jura fur trgf urer, evtug?

Jryy, vqrnyyl, vs gur jubyr cntr vf va EBG13, lbh pbhyq whfg qrpelcg gur cntr va bar tb :)

Cyhf, gur vqrn vf zbfgyl whfg gb pbashfr nalbar jub unccraf gb fghzoyr npebff guvf cnegvphyne cntr bs gur guernq. Jr unir nyernql fhpphzorq gb gur znqarff bapr. V shyyl vagraq ba erzbivat zl cncny qrperr bapr gur cntr unf prnfrq.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:58 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Caswallon wrote:As my declaration of Popieness for the new page, I ask that all posts, beyond this first one be written in ROT13!!!!http://rot13.com/index.php

OK, you do realize this will just slow Blitzgirl down even more when she gets here, right?

Or she could just ignore it since there hasn't been anything interesting said (and most likely won't be) in rot13

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

Hmm, Cueball gone? This seems too long for just a visit to the Gamma just off-screen.
Edit: never mind, last time he was also gone for two newpix.
Last edited by mscha on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

pitareio

Postby pitareio » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

Drakeesh wrote:
pitareio wrote:I'm really surprised the rightmost tower hasn't collapsed yet. How long will it stand?

I have faith in the right tower, holder of the Right Flag, bastion of defense to the castle of the OTC. May it last forever in greatness.

I will admit, that my watching has become more stressful, but I will Wait for it.

It still stands. It's ... defying gravity.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
Valarya wrote:

Gung jbhyq or fhcre-jrveq! Vs V unqa'g nppvqragnyyl cbfgrq vg va Ratyvfu svefg, gura rqvgrq vg gb qb gur ebg13.

Haha, you should have just let me believe it. It was blowing my mind.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Bu, cyrnfr... Gur Znqarff jnf onq rabhtu. Jryy, ng yrnfg guvf vf n qrperr gung jr pna vtaber. (Gur zhygvcyr rkpynzngvba znexf znxr gung rnfl gb qb jvgubhg srryvat thvygl.)

V qvq nyfb whfg fnl "nfx" naq abg qrznaq. V svtherq gung fbzr crbcyr jbhyq abg cynl nybat, Gur vqrn zbfgyl orvat gung vg jbhyq nqq n ovg zber vagrerfg gb gur qvfphffvba grzcbenevyl.

airdrik wrote:Be fur pbhyq whfg vtaber vg fvapr gurer unfa'g orra nalguvat vagrerfgvat fnvq (naq zbfg yvxryl jba'g or) va ebg13

V guvax gur qvfphffvba unf orra irel fcnefryl cbchyngrq jvgu zrnavat gb ortva jvgu. Gur eryrinag qvfphffvbaf gb gur pbzvp unir nyzbfg orra ragveryl fcrphyngvir, naq gur zbfg zrnavatshy qvfphffvba unf orra nebhaq qvssreraprf va-orgjrra senzrf bs gur pbzvp, naq cbgragvny culfvpf bs gur BGP havirefr.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

Time for another sea level update. The change in the past 48 newpix, since just after the dyke seawall gave out:
Time_sea_level_rise_20130419_1900.png
Time_sea_level_rise_20130419_1900.png (4.68 KiB) Viewed 12564 times

A bit of sea level rise, but it seems to have pretty much stopped now. The castle is still slowly eroding, already defying gravity, and should really collapse soon.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:Splendid idea about the rot13 encryption Caswallon, one can never be too careful.

Excellent! Thank you for providing some illumination in this time of Illumi-naughtiness.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

mscha wrote:<snip>
A bit of sea level rise, but it seems to have pretty much stopped now. The castle is still slowly eroding, already defying gravity, and should really collapse soon.

It seems like the past 25 NPs or so haven't seen a change in the right tower or sea level. But I love seeing these green/red level updates!

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
mscha wrote:<snip>

It seems like the past 25 NPs or so haven't seen a change in the right tower or sea level. But I love seeing these green/red level updates!

Not much, no, but still a bit. Here's the change in the past 24 newpix:
Time_sea_level_rise_20130419_1900_24.png
Time_sea_level_rise_20130419_1900_24.png (2.56 KiB) Viewed 12534 times
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
AionArap wrote:Splendid idea about the rot13 encryption Caswallon, one can never be too careful.

Excellent! Thank you for providing some illumination in this time of Illumi-naughtiness.

One only wishes to serve... waaaiiit a centinewpix.... you didn't encrypt yours at all did you?
Cheater :wink:
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

My job has been eating all my free newpix and I am dreadfully behind in my reading here. But the job, it pays for the interwebs...
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

One only wishes to serve... waaaiiit a centinewpix.... you didn't encrypt yours at all did you?

Why, of course I did! I encrypted it a full (n*2) times!

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
AionArap wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Why, of course I did! I encrypted it a full (n*2) times!

Mhmm, guess I'll just have to take your word for it then.
Anyway, if the double encryption becomes too tedious, you could always use the compatible (and twice as powerful) rot26 encryption.
Best part is, you only need to encrypt once. Security before everything as they say.

BA-DA-BING!!!

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:41 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
AionArap wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
AionArap wrote:Fcyraqvq vqrn nobhg gur ebg13 rapelcgvba Pnfjnyyba, bar pna arire or gbb pnershy.
Nf n znggre bs snpg, gb or rkgen frpher, V rapelcgrq zl cbfg gjvpr.

V cebcbfr jr nyy fgneg qbvat gung sebz abj ba hagvy gur raq bs Gvzr.

Rkpryyrag! Gunax lbh sbe cebivqvat fbzr vyyhzvangvba va guvf gvzr bs Vyyhzv-anhtugvarff.

Bar bayl jvfurf gb freir... jnnnvvvg n pragvarjcvk.... lbh qvqa'g rapelcg lbhef ng nyy qvq lbh?
Purngre :wink:

Jul, bs pbhefr V qvq! V rapelcgrq vg n shyy (a*2) gvzrf!

Jryy, vs lbh ner tbvat gb pbagvahr ba guvf cngu, V'z abg fher gung vf rabhtu. V erpbzzraq fjvgpuvat gb EBG2 naq rapelcgvat A*13 gvzrf whfg gb or fnsr.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:What I'm wondering is how I've managed to take third place for 'most posts in thread.'
I thought I really wasn't participating that much.
Also, it's interesting how few of the high ranking posters were members before Time started.

Yes it is very interesting how Time caused so many xkcd fans to delurk and take part in this thread. I wonder if some of the old-timer xkcd forumites look in this needle-pulled-thingy and feel like this has moved in next door to them:

Spoiler:

And yet...

358 pages with nary a flame war! That's gotta count for something...

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

V uaie earlpgeq raph cuaeaptrr ia ghvs mrsfate ia Eog-13 oae tvmr zoee tuaa ghr crrvvohs cuaeaptrr. I wbnqee uoj yoag ig'yl tnkr fozebnr go cntph oa...
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:..it is very interesting how Time caused so many xkcd fans to delurk and take part in this thread.

I'm living proof! Registered in 2008 to make 1 post on a comic thread and my 2nd post was made 5 years later - here in Time. :oops:

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

It's also interesting how many people made accounts specifically to comment in this thread, myself included.
Does anybody have any idea of what the hell energy is? It's the thing that, when applied to something, gives itself to the thing so that the thing can expend it, applying it to other things in multiple forms of it. What the hell is it?

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

C nbche qy mbiofx uff mqcnwb ni LIN20. Nbun mbiofx guey cn gowb yumcyl ni ziffiq nbcm xcmwommcih
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

treadman

Postby treadman » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:And yet...

358 pages with nary a flame war! That's gotta count for something...

Yes! Conversations that might have devolved into a flame war on other fora, have been thoughtfully debated here. How refreshing. :)

histrion

Postby histrion » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:V uaie earlpgeq raph cuaeaptrr ia ghvs mrsfate ia Eog-13 oae tvmr zoee tuaa ghr crrvvohs cuaeaptrr. I wbnqee uoj yoag ig'yl tnkr fozebnr go cntph oa...

Aog yoag.

Spoiler:
Not long.
>

As Page-Pope, I hereby decree that all further encryptions on this page shall use rot-0. (I wonder if that'll cause any infinite loops.)
Last edited by histrion on Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:24 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:It's also interesting how many people made accounts specifically to comment in this thread, myself included.

Me too. I've been an irregular lurker (only for especially “interesting” comics), but never felt the need to post before Time.
Last edited by mscha on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Purplepants77

Postby Purplepants77 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:V uaie earlpgeq raph cuaeaptrr ia ghvs mrsfate ia Eog-13 oae tvmr zoee tuaa ghr crrvvohs cuaeaptrr. I wbnqee uoj yoag ig'yl tnkr fozebnr go cntph oa...

Teipkl gnmr, bht V cnuthg oa. Loh Cnnaog fboy mr!

Rdvt: Nvnwa'q
Last edited by Purplepants77 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Still blitzing away and will be for some time.

Current Location: NP 1432
NP from Present: 891
Current Progress: 61.6%

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:15 pm UTC

histrion wrote:

Aog yoag.

Purplepants77 wrote:

Teipkl gnmr, bht V cnuthg oa. Loh Cnnaog fboy mr!

<snip>

EDIT: Should be this instead:

Vftb bkst... jvpj suipp rgit rrj? Mjms vbsymawovh agascfxjx pjc nrsc vfvltlqcc vulrl ywc-t, kwuiw c ep shf lrike xp fus syskuxpbp wjvkms apn dfewcw.
Last edited by macraw83 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

histrion

Postby histrion » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

Hey! Stop that! <indicates pointy hat>

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

histrion wrote:Hey! Stop that! <indicates pointy hat>

I am deeply sorry... I had been working on this one since my prior encryption post on that last page... I didn't want it to go to waste.

I did notice that you didn't solve it, though :P

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

histrion wrote:Hey! Stop that! <indicates pointy hat>

All HAIL histrion. Your popeness. Thank gods it's a newpage.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”