1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Angelastic

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Angelastic » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

silent_death wrote:I am thinking of something where you can somehow see the people as they traverse through the thread, not sure yet how it could be visualized the best...maybe on every page every post thats in there is a point in a unique color for every user (how many individuals have posted in here?) Or the points are bigger the more posts one person did on a particular page.
Could be very nice.

How about a stacked histogram of posts per timeframe (we should represent this kind of data as a histogram rather than a line graph anyway, if I'm not mistaken) with a unique colour (and hatching pattern as redundant coding for colour blind people) per person? People who only post once in each bucket (bukkit?) might need to be lumped into an 'other' colour though. Or something similar by page, though of course there's always the same number of posts on a page so it'd just be a big colourful rectangle (In fact, if posts were as high as they were wide, it'd be so long that it would look like a thread.) Bonus points for arranging the coloured squares into a pattern.

BlitzGirl wrote:
Roia wrote:Angelastic: Re. Your sig:
Angelastic wrote:Message for BlitzGirl, I think if you add a note from yourself in your signature knighting yourself as a Knight Temporal, and then you read it back there in the past, you will officially become a Knight Temporal (knighted by your beknighted future self, for only a knight can knight a knight.)

Would that mean Blitzgirl would be the first ever Knight Temporal? At least it would create some kind of bizarre paradox where a Knight existed before the Knights existed. Or something. If so, I approve of it.

I believe so, since I became knighted when I read my signature on newpage 259, and the Knights Temporal didn't exist for a good 30 newpages or so after that.

Gosh, I didn't even notice that question at the Time. I guess we have our answer. :)
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

VoronX

Postby VoronX » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:06 pm UTC

Hello, oh Watchers of Time!

I've lurked on here off and on, since about Day 10 (NP 351?), when I went back to Time (which I had first seen at NP 125, I think, but didn't Understand), and, after checking The One True Thread, realized that time must be watched and experienced in order to understand it. Since then, I have been eagerly awaiting the Newest Great Constructions, the latest NewPix, and pondering Rivers and Seas (and estuaries?). While I certainly cannot undertake a Great Pilgrimage(tm) like BlitzGirl (breadcrumbs Oh Annointed one, and sparkles, candies and a hot cup of semencancerbabycoffee to you!), I do feel a kinship to you Knights Temporal, or whichever Neo-Temporal Discordianesque Religion to which ye shall choose to attribute yourselves. So, YAY, for building Structures in the Sand that withstand the Test of Time, nay, which may prove to to be the very basis for Time itself!

So, yeah, as I was saying, Hi there!

Oh, and has anybody noticed that the rate of increase in the Sea's level has dramatically slowed as of late?

------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not a .sig, but I play one from Time to Time at the bottom of this post.
A humble Pilgrim0 awash in the Sea1 of TimeS, unstuck, observing the wonderful Stars therin . . . waiting for IT.
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

2 - small, and a host of other adjectives

silent_death

Postby silent_death » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
silent_death wrote:I am thinking of something where you can somehow see the people as they traverse through the thread, not sure yet how it could be visualized the best...maybe on every page every post thats in there is a point in a unique color for every user (how many individuals have posted in here?) Or the points are bigger the more posts one person did on a particular page.
Could be very nice.

How about a stacked histogram of posts per timeframe (we should represent this kind of data as a histogram rather than a line graph anyway, if I'm not mistaken) with a unique colour (and hatching pattern as redundant coding for colour blind people) per person? People who only post once in each bucket (bukkit?) might need to be lumped into an 'other' colour though. Or something similar by page, though of course there's always the same number of posts on a page so it'd just be a big colourful rectangle (In fact, if posts were as high as they were wide, it'd be so long that it would look like a thread.) Bonus points for arranging the coloured squares into a pattern.

That could be nice as well, if they are also always sorted the same way, it should also show the pattern of who is in what timezone as there would be a different set of colors during the american night than during the european night.
- former Expecto Space Bishop Temporas of the Church of Eastern unorthodox Timewaiters

SWO Crash

Postby SWO Crash » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

Having been a follower of Time since almost the beginning (NP 9, 10?) and a reader of the needle-pulled-thing off and on (because, honestly, it's fascinating), I have come across this pondering - might the followers of Time find a kinship with the members of the (U.S.) military? After all, we are told to "hurry up and wait (for it)."

Peace and the blessings of Time to you all.

rcrowell

Postby rcrowell » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

Dear friends,

Although this is my first post on this forum (in fact, on ANY XKCD forum), I'm one of those long-time lurkers for whom it just seemed like the right Time to come out of hiding. I've been along for the ride since before the first toe-dip by Cueball. And what a long, strange trip it's been!

I must say that I simply cannot believe how attached to Megan and Cueball I've become. In fact, I can't believe how attached to all of YOU, including and especially our dear BlitzGirl, I've become. When I step away from my computer, I wonder what M+C are doing. I'm distracted. I can't sleep. My heart stutters when I get a glimpse of a new dialog bubble. I break out into a cold sweat if a new frame doesn't appear at the right instant. I hang on every word you all say. Your over-analyzations are music to my ears, and I clap my hands and shout for joy when BlitzGirl reaches another milestone. It's getting difficult to hide this obsession from friends, family and colleagues.

And yet, I will continue to Wait. With all of you.

rainycity1

Postby rainycity1 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

The sea is still rising and continuing to slowly undermine the castle on the right.... expecting it to fall any moment now...

...the castle, I mean, although it is feasible that the sea could start to fall instead, now that I think about it...
"xkcd: Lowering workplace productivity since 2005!" - by lmjb1964

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

silent_death wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
Could be very nice.

That could be nice as well, if they are also always sorted the same way, it should also show the pattern of who is in what timezone as there would be a different set of colors during the american night than during the european night.

Leave it with me :)

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

I must confess that I've been questioning my beliefs as to Time. I did try to start a period enlightenment back on NP 223, but I fear that is the wrong path. Truthfully I think it is incorrect to believe that the One True Comic exists outside of the influence of Lord Randall.

And yet, the devotion to Lord Randall and the OTC seems to me a bit... misplaced.

However, now, through much meditation, I believe I've come to see the Truth. The OTC does not exist without the input of Lord Randall, and yet Lord Randall is not the supreme influence, either. He is but a conduit for a higher force.

Then I realized that He Himself has told us the answer, and continues to do so each Newpic through the miracle of mouse-hovering-alt-text:

"Wait for It."

Of course! IT!

IT is the true source of all! But IT is mysterious, and in many ways, ultimately unknowable...

"The IT that can be spoken of is not the eternal IT
the frame that can seen is not the eternal frame

The IT is empty
When used, IT is not filled up.
Bottomless! IT is the source of all things

Empty, and yet never exhausted,
IT moves, and produces more

Look at IT -- IT cannot be seen
IT is called colorless.
Listen to IT -- IT cannot be heard
IT is called noiselss.
Reach for IT -- IT cannot be held
IT is called formless

Above IT; not bright
Below IT; not dark
Continuing endlessly, IT cannot be named
IT returns back into nothingness.
Thus IT is called the form of the formless

The great IT is like a flood
IT can flow to the left or the right

Use IT, IT cannot be exhausted."

This is the core of It-ism.

Within our faith, we believe in IT. Within our reason, we study IT. Both are valid paths, yet both are destined to never reach their ultimate goal. For the more we learn of IT, the less we know.
Last edited by StratPlayer on Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

mittfh

Postby mittfh » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

Meanwhile I've noticed this thread is now occupying a year's worth of pages...

htom

Postby htom » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Mycroft_147 wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Who Installed the Red Button and System Administrator)

HA, I installed a big red button in a patch-panel once. As an inside joke it did nothing but glow red. After a few months I noticed someone had hung a sign over the button that said "Do Not Push." Months later I noticed someone installed a plastic cover over it to prevent it being pressed accidentally ...bureaucracy in action I assumed. :D
This is awesome to an extremely great extent.

Late reply, but this is a pinnacle of awesomeness, Mycroft 147.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

edit: I attempted to predict when BlitzGirl's present would be united with NewPage present. I predicted that it would happen at NewPage 398 around Sunday night (as quoted later on this page). I checked my math and it was just totally wrong! Which is probably obvious by the time you, BiltzGirl, are reading this. It was wrong because I forgot to factor in the number of pages each of your posts represents when calculating the average BlitzSpeed (change in distance from goal over change in current NewPage total). Silly me. The good news is that there does seem to be a relatively stable point at which BlitzGirl progress catches up with NewPage progress and all Nows are one. Unfortunately my new prediction is a bit further along than my original :cry: , but not terribly. My new predication is around NewPage 450 or so. By the time you read this you'll be a around 100 pages from unity, almost certainly closer if the NewPages continue to lull and if you sprint to the finish. Given that your first burst of effort was nearly 100 pages on its own, I believe that you will make it soon. Godspeed BlitzGirl, the end is in sight. (My math)
Last edited by jovialbard on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:07 pm UTC, edited 7 times in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

treadman

Postby treadman » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:I must confess that I've been questioning my beliefs as to Time. I did try to start a period enlightenment back on NP 223, but I fear that is the wrong path. Truthfully I think it is incorrect to believe that the One True Comic exists outside of the influence of Lord Randall.
Spoiler:
And yet, the devotion to Lord Randall and the OTC seems to me a bit... misplaced.

However, now, through much meditation, I believe I've come to see the Truth. The OTC does not exist without the input of Lord Randall, and yet Lord Randall is not the supreme influence, either. He is but a conduit for a higher force.

Then I realized that He Himself has told us the answer, and continues to do so each Newpic through the miracle of mouse-hovering-alt-text:

"Wait for It."

Of course! IT!

IT is the true source of all! But IT is mysterious, and in many ways, ultimately unknowable...

The IT is empty

IT is called colorless.
IT is called noiselss.
IT is called formless

Above IT; not bright
Below IT; not dark

Within our faith, we believe in IT. Within our reason, we study IT. Both are valid paths, yet both are destined to never reach their ultimate goal. For the more we learn of IT, the less we know.

So we are the Temporal Knights who say "IT"?!?
Or should the Knights actually be avoiding saying (or even hearing someone else say) that word at all costs?

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

treadman wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:I must confess that I've been questioning my beliefs as to Time. I did try to start a period enlightenment back on NP 223, but I fear that is the wrong path. Truthfully I think it is incorrect to believe that the One True Comic exists outside of the influence of Lord Randall.
Spoiler:

"Wait for It."

Of course! IT!

The IT is empty

IT is called colorless.
IT is called noiselss.
IT is called formless

Above IT; not bright
Below IT; not dark

Or should the Knights actually be avoiding saying (or even hearing someone else say) that word at all costs?

You said it! And that's neither a good thing nor a bad thing -- it's all in how you look at Wait For IT.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

Oh yes, I'm sure the Knights who say "nigh" (for IT is nigh) would see themselves as unworthy of saying IT.
Last edited by jovialbard on Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:14 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:

Oh yes, I'm sure the Knight's who say "nigh" (for IT is nigh) would see themselves as unworthy of saying IT.

Of course -- IT goes without saying...

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:17 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:<snip>
See you around page 393 BlitzGirl!

<snip>
See you Sunday night?

Her arrival to the present has been predicted before.. and whereupon she reached said signpost of supposed-Time-clarity and convergence, she almost wept. Why? Because the fora moves at an unpredictable rate, and by the time she had reached this place, the Future had hopped on a Train and left her.

Blitzgirl, I hope you take heart... and continue your noble quest at your own pace of Time.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Her arrival to the present has been predicted before.. and whereupon she reached said signpost of supposed-Time-clarity and convergence, she almost wept. Why? Because the fora moves at an unpredictable rate, and by the time she had reached this place, the Future had hopped on a Train and left her.

Blitzgirl, I hope you take heart... and continue your noble quest at your own pace of Time.

Ah but past predictions have been based on when she would reach now in her future which by then would be our past. My calculations attempt to predict when she will reach our future which will then be our present and at simultaneously her present, depending of course on one's relativistic speed...

In fact BlitzSpeed has been gradually climbing as her posts advance...

silent_death

Postby silent_death » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
jovialbard wrote:<snip>
See you around page 393 BlitzGirl!

<snip>
See you Sunday night?

Her arrival to the present has been predicted before.. and whereupon she reached said signpost of supposed-Time-clarity and convergence, she almost wept. Why? Because the fora moves at an unpredictable rate, and by the time she had reached this place, the Future had hopped on a Train and left her.

Well it is not that unpredictable how fast the fora moves - with the beautiful graphs that were mad we can see that the fora moves at a very steady rate for the last 300 Newpix or so.
- former Expecto Space Bishop Temporas of the Church of Eastern unorthodox Timewaiters

histrion

Postby histrion » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:35 pm UTC

LoneMarauder wrote:So, is there A Land Before Time?

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

"Get out of the booth, Jack."

"NO! I LIKE IT IN HERE!"
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:45 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
I must confess that I've been questioning my beliefs as to Time. I did try to start a period enlightenment back on NP 223, but I fear that is the wrong path. Truthfully I think it is incorrect to believe that the One True Comic exists outside of the influence of Lord Randall.

"Wait for It."

Of course! IT!

The IT is empty

IT is called colorless.
IT is called noiselss.
IT is called formless

Above IT; not bright
Below IT; not dark

I believed this earlier, but was told by cardinal buffygirl that my statement is heresy.
Does anybody have any idea of what the hell energy is? It's the thing that, when applied to something, gives itself to the thing so that the thing can expend it, applying it to other things in multiple forms of it. What the hell is it?

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:47 pm UTC

Tracker of the top ten posters on this thread (up to TimeFrame 720). This graph is corrected for the period shift at TimeFrame 240, and so is grouped by total number of posts in a ten hour period. Looks like none of the top ten posters were present on the forum in the first day.

EDIT TO ADD: The top ten are in reverse order on the legend. It's fixable but faffy, and I really couldn't be bothered.
Attachments
XKCDTopTen.png

silent_death

Postby silent_death » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:51 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:Tracker of the top ten posters on this thread (up to TimeFrame 720). This graph is corrected for the period shift at TimeFrame 240, and so is grouped by total number of posts in a ten hour period. Looks like none of the top ten posters were present on the forum in the first day.

EDIT TO ADD: The top ten are in reverse order on the legend. It's fixable but faffy, and I really couldn't be bothered.

Fascinating! Can you create the same with Fora pages as a timeline (so they would have the same height) ? Or do you not have that data ?

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:55 pm UTC

silent_death wrote:
mojacardave wrote:Tracker of the top ten posters on this thread (up to TimeFrame 720). This graph is corrected for the period shift at TimeFrame 240, and so is grouped by total number of posts in a ten hour period. Looks like none of the top ten posters were present on the forum in the first day.

Fascinating! Can you create the same with Fora pages as a timeline (so they would have the same height) ? Or do you not have that data ?

Latent22 wrote:data is quite big.
http://pastebin.com/bxMdVQqy here is a postbin of the data in csv type format

I have the data I require, as helpfully provided by Latent22. Whether I have the patience is another matter entirely! Also, the only way to make every column have the same height is to include EVERY user, or at least bulk up the data with an 'others' category.

The amount of processing required is really pushing my Excel to the limits too - it nearly crashed dealing with the formula I used. Breaking it down into smaller steps would probably work but it's still processor intensive. Excel isn't the most efficient software!

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

PLONG:
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

Until leap year, we should keep this thread at 365 pages...

No more posting until then.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:Until leap year, we should keep this thread at 365 pages...

No more posting until then.

Why not? :P

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:

"Wait for It."

Of course! IT!

The IT is empty

IT is called colorless.
IT is called noiselss.
IT is called formless

Above IT; not bright
Below IT; not dark

I believed this earlier, but was told by cardinal buffygirl that my statement is heresy.

You were divinely inspired! Or, perhaps, enlightened by a sudden flash of reason. IT works either way.

The fact that you posted in the pre-vortex of the BlitzGirl Time-flux open-portal cross-Time post that immediately followed may have contributed to your enlightenment. The IT works in mysterious ways.

But, uh, how do I know that buffygirl claimed IT was heresy? That claim is hearsay.

None-the-less, great minds think alike. :D

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

If we assume that the reason the water level hasn't risen much is because it dug/found a hole through which to flow, then that means that a new river (albeit small [like the other river] and possibly temporary) has been formed. A river that could possibly meet with the other one, thereby reaching the sea.
Does anybody have any idea of what the hell energy is? It's the thing that, when applied to something, gives itself to the thing so that the thing can expend it, applying it to other things in multiple forms of it. What the hell is it?

_it_

Postby _it_ » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Of course! IT!

I am?

StratPlayer wrote:"The IT that can be spoken of is not the eternal IT

Spoiler:
The IT is empty

IT is called colorless.
IT is called noiselss.
IT is called formless

Above IT; not bright
Below IT; not dark

Glad someone thinks so highly of me, but I really don't think I deserve that kind of admiration. This is only my second post.

Also, I'm really glad everyone has waited for me. I would have been disappointed if I missed it me everything.

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

Hold on. How do we know you're It? After all, you have an underscore before and after your name, and there is no capitalization! I CALL FRAUD!

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:..., and so is grouped by total number of posts in a ten hour period. ...

Hours? Heresy!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
mojacardave wrote:..., and so is grouped by total number of posts in a ten hour period. ...

Hours? Heresy!

Is it, though? An hour is merely the term given to a two newpic period, is it not?

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:If we assume that the reason the water level hasn't risen much is because it dug/found a hole through which to flow, then that means that a new river (albeit small [like the other river] and possibly temporary) has been formed. A river that could possibly meet with the other one, thereby reaching the sea.

To quote Cueball/Megan - the river is small, the sea is big.

If it is a sea/ocean as Cueball and Megan seem to think, then the tide level isn't going to be impacted by the creation of a small river.

histrion

Postby histrion » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

Are Latent22 and patzer still doing those graphs? I guess I'll stop resisting and ask for one. :-)

ETA: someone get mojacardave his pointy hat!
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:
mscha wrote:

Hours? Heresy!

Is it, though? An hour is merely the term given to a two newpic period, is it not?

Hey I might be a follower of Time, but that doesn't mean I'm willing to produce a graph with a non-uniform timescale on the X-axis. Science before religion.

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
Asthanius wrote:If we assume that the reason the water level hasn't risen much is because it dug/found a hole through which to flow, then that means that a new river (albeit small [like the other river] and possibly temporary) has been formed. A river that could possibly meet with the other one, thereby reaching the sea.

To quote Cueball/Megan - the river is small, the sea is big.

If it is a sea/ocean as Cueball and Megan seem to think, then the tide level isn't going to be impacted by the creation of a small river.

Ah, but we don't know what exactly is beyong the sandcastle. There could be a large hill sloped downwards, causing most of the incoming tide to rush down the hillside. In fact, there could be a large crevice just outside of the frame, one that is just thick enough for the water to go down, yet thin enough to not cause problems for Cueball and Megan. It doesn't need to meet with the other river. It's just a theory, after all.
Last edited by Asthanius on Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:12 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:Also, the only way to make every column have the same height is to include EVERY user, or at least bulk up the data with an 'others' category.

It would basically be a grid 20 units high and 365 wide, and instead of choosing random colours for all those other users (or giving them all an 'other' colour) what you could do is represent each post by the user's avatar, standardised to the maximum avatar size (with random colours or the first letters of names for the users who don't have avatars.) You could even keep them in order rather than grouping them by user. Then we'd just have a huge mosaic of avatars, and if the avatars look different enough from a distance (which they probably don't, because a lot of them are from comics) we'd be able to see who was posting the most and when.

It might be better to pretend a page is 85 posts long, for a big square mosaic thing. It would look less chaotic than that representation of pi someone posted earlier.

For extra credit, figure out a way of incorporating timeframes into the tiling at the appropriate locations. Also keep track of buffygirl's hats.

There, that should keep'em busy for a while. Now, sprint, BlitzGirl!
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

treadman

Postby treadman » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:12 pm UTC

_it_ wrote:Also, I'm really glad everyone has waited for me. I would have been disappointed if I missed it me everything.

Cousin! We've been waiting for you.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:15 pm UTC

I like being on a chart. It's nice to know that I'm quantifiable.
What's woth the huge overall spike at 120 hours?
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”