1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mojacardave

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mojacardave » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:Alright, I think that we can all see that the progression of what is being built is (at least) similar to the progression of mankind's architecture through the ages. Thus, I feel that I can safely assume that not only will Cueball and Megan build skyscrapers and such, but will also gain knowledge of the world around them as time goes on. At the beginning, they were clumsy (falling into the sandcastles), barbaric (deriving joy from destroying the structures), but also curious (Cueball tasting the seawater). We could see that they were progressing, though, when they began building more intricate structures such as the small trebuchet and the scaffolding. At this point, they were shown to have little knowledge of the world around them ("I don't know how anything works"), but resourceful (using the bucket and rope to haul sand up to the scaffolding), even if they were still clumsy (Megan falling into the sandcastle). However, once the seawall was breached, Cueball and Megan didn't waste much time. They built more intricate structures on the scaffolding (thin towers and a domed building), indicating that they have moved on from the larger rough castles below.

I wouldn't be surprised if you were right, but people have made predictions before.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:Alright, I think that we can all see that the progression of what is being built is (at least) similar to the progression of mankind's architecture through the ages. Thus, I feel that I can safely assume that not only will Cueball and Megan build skyscrapers and such, but will also gain knowledge of the world around them as time goes on. At the beginning, they were clumsy (falling into the sandcastles), barbaric (deriving joy from destroying the structures), but also curious (Cueball tasting the seawater). We could see that they were progressing, though, when they began building more intricate structures such as the small trebuchet and the scaffolding. At this point, they were shown to have little knowledge of the world around them ("I don't know how anything works"), but resourceful (using the bucket and rope to haul sand up to the scaffolding), even if they were still clumsy (Megan falling into the sandcastle). However, once the seawall was breached, Cueball and Megan didn't waste much time. They built more intricate structures on the scaffolding (thin towers and a domed building), indicating that they have moved on from the larger rough castles below.

And their world on which to build keeps getting smaller...

I like this analogy/metaphor!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:27 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:

And their world on which to build keeps getting smaller...

I like this analogy/metaphor!

It's definitely a good one. I think it's the first metaphor explanation that I've agreed with.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:Tracker of the top ten posters on this thread (up to TimeFrame 720). This graph is corrected for the period shift at TimeFrame 240, and so is grouped by total number of posts in a ten hour period. Looks like none of the top ten posters were present on the forum in the first day.

EDIT TO ADD: The top ten are in reverse order on the legend. It's fixable but faffy, and I really couldn't be bothered.

Too cool! I'm a lovely celedon color, thank you. It's always reassuring to see a carefully tallied graph depicting precisely how much time I waste in an arbitrary period. 8-)

Wow, I don't know how Blitzgirl does it. I take one day off from Time, and there's a dozen new pages when I return. And I admit, I only skimmed to catch up. I'm a very slacking, slacky kind of Knight... Until I get me my damn whistle!

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:36 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:I coma for just 15 newpix, and now I'm 6 newpages behind!

Beginning my noble miniquest to return to the present...

Shortly after I joined, the rate was 30 newpages per 16 newpix.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
mojacardave wrote:Tracker of the top ten posters on this thread (up to TimeFrame 720). This graph is corrected for the period shift at TimeFrame 240, and so is grouped by total number of posts in a ten hour period. Looks like none of the top ten posters were present on the forum in the first day.

EDIT TO ADD: The top ten are in reverse order on the legend. It's fixable but faffy, and I really couldn't be bothered.

Too cool! I'm a lovely celedon color, thank you. It's always reassuring to see a carefully tallied graph depicting precisely how much time I waste in an arbitrary period. 8-)

Wow, I don't know how Blitzgirl does it. I take one day off from Time, and there's a dozen new pages when I return. And I admit, I only skimmed to catch up. I'm a very slacking, slacky kind of Knight... Until I get me my damn whistle!

I'm not sure about your whistle, but you did get a nice cape, oh.. um, mphghrhpfft NewPages ago. It's back there. Somewhere.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
cmyk wrote:

I'm not sure about your whistle, but you did get a nice cape, oh.. um, mphghrhpfft NewPages ago. It's back there. Somewhere.

Yes! I did see that, thanks! In fact, I'm wearing it now. But that's all I'm wearing.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

I just noticed that cmyk joined soon after Helper left. Interesting ...
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

People keep mentioning that it is a domed building. That is just the shape the sand fell when she dumped the last bucket of sand on it. She isn't finished with it and we don't know what shape it will be when she finishes. I predict that it will probably be another crenelated square, possibly with another triangle-topped tower in the midst.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:52 pm UTC

tman2nd wrote:

It is interesting. And now that you mention it... I never see the two of them in the same room together at the same time!... hrmmmm...

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:53 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
tman2nd wrote:

It is interesting. And now that you mention it... I never see the two of them in the same room together at the same time!... hrmmmm...

Of course it is interesting. We wouldn't be here otherwise…
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:54 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
tman2nd wrote:

So you've never been with Helper in a room with a mirror then?

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
cmyk wrote:
tman2nd wrote:

Of course it is interesting. We wouldn't be here otherwise…

cmyk is an imposter! Everyone... let's get him!

*runs out the back*

ETA: Oh, "it"... I see whatchya done did there.
Last edited by cmyk on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:
cmyk wrote:
tman2nd wrote:

So you've never been with Helper in a room with a mirror then?

We, we have, but I don't like to brag...

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

CLONG:
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

mscha wrote:CLONG:

I'm getting really worried about Megan.
Last edited by cmyk on Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

histrion

Postby histrion » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:06 pm UTC

Count me among those who are thumbing this up.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:If anybody else wants a graph, this should work in Excel 2007 and later (possibly earlier versions as well, but I don't guarantee that).
It only contains data up to TimeFrame 720.

I wasn't going to bother anyone, but since you're offering!!! Do mine, doo miiine!
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

histrion wrote:

They don't seem to be very aware of how heavy wet sand is.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

SWO Crash

Postby SWO Crash » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:18 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:
histrion wrote:

They don't seem to be very aware of how heavy wet sand is.

That's why Megan and Cueball braced up the platform a few newpix ago.
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.

Husband, Father, Sailor, Son.

histrion

Postby histrion » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

Of course, the downside to this interpretation is the notion that we could reduce civilization to a metaphorical two individuals who aren't at war with each other. I mean, yes, there was a trebuchet, but hardly anything qualifying as hostilities.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

JPhi1618

Postby JPhi1618 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

So, not sure if this has been discussed yet, but I'm pretty certain that they are putting up rolls of tarp that they will unroll to fill in the areas between the posts to create one huge castle. I thought this might happen after the second story was installed, and now I'm quite certain that what Cue Ball has recently installed is a roll or two.

I'm sure someone can post a picture of what the castle will look like with all the whitespace filled in. I'm at work...

[EDIT] So, I just saw that what was added were support beams, but I'm still sticking with my theory... Might take longer for it to happen, but it's coming.
Last edited by JPhi1618 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:38 pm UTC

histrion wrote:Of course, the downside to this interpretation is the notion that we could reduce civilization to a metaphorical two individuals who aren't at war with each other. I mean, yes, there was a trebuchet, but hardly anything qualifying as hostilities.

Wouldn't that be beautiful… just like Lord Randall intended.

Mycroft_147

Postby Mycroft_147 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

I propose THIS is already happening: A trifurcated approach towards interpreting Time.

1) Analysis of individual newpix as they progress into the macroscopic storyline.
B) Analysis of the evolution of this needle-pulled-thing and the society within
III) Exploring the possible intention of Lord Randall to have 1 influence B or....perhaps B influenceing 1 (whoah, imagine the implications of THAT!)

Should we include include somewhere a study of the quality, quality, and distribution of hats?
This is my croft. There are many like it. But this one is mine.

I am from the Before Time, in the Long Long Ago

Founder of THIS
(The Temporal Hypotheses and Intelligence Society)

(Leaves behind another piece of candy for Blitzgirl.)

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
histrion wrote:Of course, the downside to this interpretation is the notion that we could reduce civilization to a metaphorical two individuals who aren't at war with each other. I mean, yes, there was a trebuchet, but hardly anything qualifying as hostilities.

I'm tellin' all you nay-sayers — the Knights Who Say Nay — that BHG will show up being all Plainview-like with "I DRINK UR MILKSHAKE!", just as soon their battlements happen to be fully deployed.

Cue the trebuchets!

And, why yes, I do relate everything I see to a movie.
Last edited by cmyk on Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:35 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:50 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

I'm tellin' all you nay-sayers — the Knights Who Say Nay — that BHG will show up being all Plainview-like with "I DRINK UR MILKSHAKE!", just as soon their battlements happen to be fully deployed.

Cue the trebuchets!

What we have been missing is the entirely violent raiding parties on the IKEA next door, hence testing the Trebuchet on defenses earlier!
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
cmyk wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

Cue the trebuchets!

What we have been missing is the entirely violent raiding parties on the IKEA next door, hence testing the Trebuchet on defenses earlier!

Dear lord, the carcinogenic clouds of particle board debris, Allen Wrench shrapnel, and Swedish Meatball splash damage, would be a bloodbath. Broke college students and young, new-homeowning couples wandering around picking up their own limbs...

The horror.

histrion

Postby histrion » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

THRONG!

Also: I've passed the 500/3 post count threshold!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
cmyk wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

Cue the trebuchets!

Dear lord, the carcinogenic clouds of particle board debris, Allen Wrench shrapnel, and Swedish Meatball splash damage, would be a bloodbath. Broke college students and young, new-homeowning couples wandering around picking up their own limbs...

The horror.

Especially since the IKEA limb-reattachment instructions are completely incomprehensible.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
mojacardave wrote:
mscha wrote:
Asthanius wrote:
mscha wrote:
mojacardave wrote:..., and so is grouped by total number of posts in a ten hour period. ...

Hours? Heresy!

Is it, though? An hour is merely the term given to a two newpic period, is it not?

It is now, it wasn't for the first 240 newpix. Since the graph includes entirety of Time, it can't use “hour” as a unit of measure, since its meaning changed midway.

That's precisely the reason I DID use hours as a unit of measure. The definition of a newpix/TimeFrame changed at frame 240, so I made the necessary corrections to the data, and used 'real-world' hours, for uniform block sizes.

And that, exactly, is heresy!

Edit: I don't know if there are any commandments yet (there certainly should be), but if so, one of them will definitely be: thou shalt only measure time in newpix (or timeframes), as these are constant, and any other measures of Outside and Inside time are variable and unreliable.

Well spoken, mscha. The main tenet of Timewaiters is that they exclusively use TimeFrames as their unit of measuring time. Any other method of referring to the passage of / waiting for Time is heresy.

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

histrion wrote:THRONG!

I see posts like this and I just want to think of an xkcd-esque My Hobby is: finding significance in the most insignificant of numbers - 466 is 1234 in base 7, woot!
(I'd use my current post count, but let's face it: 36 is a pretty cool number!)

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Caswallon wrote:<snip>

The horror.

Especially since the IKEA limb-reattachment instructions are completely incomprehensible.

The beach is actually discarded particle board debris, Swedish fish, and meat balls. While the sea is entirely composed of lingonberry juice, and blood.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

histrion

Postby histrion » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:The beach is actually discarded particle board debris, Swedish fish, and meat balls. While the sea is entirely composed of lingonberry juice, and blood.

Lingonberry juice and blood are much more similar than many people realize.

Although not as similar as Lindenberry juice and virtual blood.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:

I see posts like this and I just want to think of an xkcd-esque My Hobby is: finding significance in the most insignificant of numbers - 466 is 1234 in base 7, woot!

Pfffttt... 36 is only a cool number if you're a triophile.* But 5 is such a handier number, so number like 125 are WAYYY cooler.

Just sayin'...

*Fan of the number 3 and its multiplicative factors

ETA: Good thing mscha disbanded the papacy last NewPage. That "Pope-of-the-page" schtick was getting a bit stale anyway. Although I am a a little disappointed no-one ever commented on my Papal Magnum Opus. C'mon, Opus was a very cool character!!! And the "Mental Floss" bit? Classic!

Plus, put it together with the "page 357" (i.e. "Magnum .357") and dish it out as a "Magnum Opus???" Hey, that's choice material right there...
Last edited by StratPlayer on Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:15 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
mojacardave wrote:If anybody else wants a graph, this should work in Excel 2007 and later (possibly earlier versions as well, but I don't guarantee that).
It only contains data up to TimeFrame 720.

I wasn't going to bother anyone, but since you're offering!!! Do mine, doo miiine!

I wasn't actually offering to do more - I was providing a downloadable tool to produce your own, but since it takes about 5 seconds, here you go:
Attachments
Valarya.png

histrion

Postby histrion » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
airdrik wrote:

Pfffttt... 36 is only a cool number if you're a triophile.* But 5 is such a handier number, so number like 125 are WAYYY cooler.

Just sayin'...

Heh. "Handier."

I'm considering joining the Dozenal Society of America, myself.

thirds

Postby thirds » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Pfffttt... 36 is only a cool number if you're a triophile.*

And whats wrong with that? (my first post was #3 on page 333)
Last edited by thirds on Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

lassehp

Postby lassehp » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
airdrik wrote:Pfffttt... 36 is only a cool number if you're a triophile.* But 5 is such a handier number, so number like 125 are WAYYY cooler.

Just sayin'...

So being a fan of cubic numbers is not a form of triophilia? How surprising!

Edit: Just noticed that 216 is quite amusing. 61+2 = (2+1)*6*(2*1)*6. Well, maybe I just have a weird sense of humour.
Last edited by lassehp on Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
StratPlayer wrote:Fewer and fewer people writing more and more about less and less. If this trend continues, eventually it will be nobody writing everything about nothing.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:33 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
airdrik wrote:

Just sayin'...

Heh. "Handier."

I'm considering joining the Dozenal Society of America, myself.

You musta been Little Twelve Toes

VoronX

Postby VoronX » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:34 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:"Wait for It."

IT is the true source of all! But IT is mysterious, and in many ways, ultimately unknowable...

And yet, isn't it so odd that I, and probably many of you work in the IT department...
A humble Pilgrim0 awash in the Sea1 of TimeS, unstuck, observing the wonderful Stars therin . . . waiting for IT.
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

2 - small, and a host of other adjectives

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”