1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

StratPlayer

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:34 pm UTC

thirds wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Pfffttt... 36 is only a cool number if you're a triophile.*

*Fan of the number 3 and its multiplicative factors

And whats wrong with that? (my first post was #3 on page 333)

Well, nothing, actually. Sorry if my tone was too harsh. Heck, ALL numbers are cool!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:39 pm UTC

lassehp wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
airdrik wrote:Pfffttt... 36 is only a cool number if you're a triophile.* But 5 is such a handier number, so number like 125 are WAYYY cooler.

Just sayin'...

So being a fan of cubic numbers is not a form of triophilia? How surprising!

Edit: Just noticed that 216 is quite amusing. 61+2 = (2+1)*6*(2*1)*6. Well, maybe I just have a weird sense of humour.

That's ok. I kinda have a sicks one, too.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:41 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Heck, ALL numbers are cool!

Which is, of course, easy to prove. Suppose not all (natural) numbers are cool. Then, there's a lowest number that isn't cool - a pretty cool property for a number, which contradicts our assumption. Therefore, all numbers are cool. QED.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

Mycroft_147 wrote:<snip>
Should we include include somewhere a study of the quality, quality, and distribution of hats?

YES! Most definitely!!

higgs-boson wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 314 out of 364 pages.
buffygirl wrote:BlitzGirl-skip cryptic (rot13) posts!!

Noooo, who did that? You do realize that I am reading it ALL, right? *grumbles about future rot13 encounters*
My Quest continues, just as soon as I work out how to sig all these titles. :?

As Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers, I ask you, BuffyGirl, Arch-Cardinal of Hat Stacking:
Hey, are you trying to cheat Time?

Uhhhhhhh

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

Yes, people are posting cool stuff way too fast! I'm still trying to get caught up.

mojacardave wrote:Modified the post density graph a bit. It had too much data and not enough resolution. I've applied a 12-timeframe rolling average, to smooth the curve a little (and thinned the line).

This essentially shows the same data as before, but the line technically represents the average number of posts over the previous 12 TimeFrames, for any given point. Gets rid of some of the sharp spikes, and is a very good indication of coma-cycles. Clearly the American crowd outweighs the rest of us!

Thanks for doing this! I was going to try to work this up last night, but I had to coma.As I expected, I waited long enough for someone else to do the work for me. I mean, I'm so sorry you had to do all that work!

BlitzGirl wrote:Noooo, who did that? You do realize that I am reading it ALL, right? *grumbles about future rot13 encounters*

Well, don't look at me. I tried to get them to stop, but would they listen to me? Noooo. (Looks pointedly at guilty parties.)

Magdiragdag wrote:Is she building a mosque?

I had that thought as well.

rcrowell wrote:I must say that I simply cannot believe how attached to Megan and Cueball I've become. In fact, I can't believe how attached to all of YOU, including and especially our dear BlitzGirl, I've become. When I step away from my computer, I wonder what M+C are doing. I'm distracted. I can't sleep. My heart stutters when I get a glimpse of a new dialog bubble. I break out into a cold sweat if a new frame doesn't appear at the right instant. I hang on every word you all say. Your over-analyzations are music to my ears, and I clap my hands and shout for joy when BlitzGirl reaches another milestone. It's getting difficult to hide this obsession from friends, family and colleagues..

This is so true. Forisms (forumisms?) slip into Outside emails, I wonder who's been on the forum since I last checked, or whether anyone has responded to a certain post, I was SO excited when Blitzgirl noticed my sig to her. I can't decide if this is really messed up, or really wonderful.

OK, this is getting really long. Time to end this post and finish catching up!

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:You musta been Little Twelve Toes

Whoa, I don't remember that song at all. Pretty psychedelic.

higgs-boson wrote:
xkcd
Pronounciation: /exkayseedee/
verb (xkcds, xkcding, past xkcded, past participle xkcded)
[no object]
> (1) to publish a webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language.
> (2) to state something incredible witty and clever.
> (3) to create a time sink intelligent people dump their working hours in, and therefore ruining the economic power of companies and countries.
Meanings are not mutually exclusive.

This is too true, and too funny. Unless...what if it's NOT funny? What if the first 1189 xkcd comics were just meant to lure us in and think that Randall was a cool, funny, nice nerdy guy, when his plan all along was to use Time for WORLD DOMINATION. Maybe we should be resisting! Maybe we should fight the temptation to…oh, hey, it's Friday, gotta check out the new comic!

ETA: Is this what's meant by a double post, when you post twice in a row? And that's bad, right? Sorry...
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

SCHLONG!

histrion

Postby histrion » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
histrion wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
airdrik wrote:
histrion wrote:THRONG!

Also: I've passed the 500/3 post count threshold!

I see posts like this and I just want to think of an xkcd-esque My Hobby is: finding significance in the most insignificant of numbers - 466 is 1234 in base 7, woot!
(I'd use my current post count, but let's face it: 36 is a pretty cool number!)

Pfffttt... 36 is only a cool number if you're a triophile.* But 5 is such a handier number, so number like 125 are WAYYY cooler.

Just sayin'...

Heh. "Handier."

I'm considering joining the Dozenal Society of America, myself.

You musta been Little Twelve Toes

Not one of their catchier numbers, although it certainly does commit to explaining dozenal notation in depth, doesn't it?
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:ETA: Good thing mscha disbanded the papacy last NewPage. That "Pope-of-the-page" schtick was getting a bit stale anyway. Although I am a a little disappointed no-one ever commented on my Papal Magnum Opus. C'mon, Opus was a very cool character!!! And the "Mental Floss" bit? Classic!

Plus, put it together with the "page 357" (i.e. "Magnum .357") and dish it out as a "Magnum Opus???" Hey, that's choice material right there...

Yes yes yes! I kept meaning to comment on that, but kept getting distra...ooh, what's that? Sorry, what was I saying? Opus! Yes! I LOVE Opus, and running across him in the thread (Twice!) made my day. And props for the fine punnery.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

histrion

Postby histrion » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Heck, ALL numbers are cool!

Which is, of course, easy to prove. Suppose not all (natural) numbers are cool. Then, there's a lowest number that isn't cool - a pretty cool property for a number, which contradicts our assumption. Therefore, all numbers are cool. QED.

Sort of like the ontological argument for the existence of God - except in this case it's supposed to be funny.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

histrion

Postby histrion » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

Okay, I know I'm breaking the rules here, but it's been 15 minutes since the last post. And that was me.

Are we burning out? I mean, better that than fading away looping, but I think we still have life left in us.

Well, I'll use the time to experiment with the BBCode math stuff:

ETA: Okay, apparently I have no idea how the BBCode math tags work. Anyone?

VoronX

Postby VoronX » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
histrion wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
airdrik wrote:
histrion wrote:(I'd use my current post count, but let's face it: 36 is a pretty cool number!)

Pfffttt... 36 is only a cool number if you're a triophile.* But 5 is such a handier number, so number like 125 are WAYYY cooler.

Just sayin'...

*Fan of the number 3 and its multiplicative factors[/size]

Heh. "Handier."

I'm considering joining the Dozenal Society of America, myself.

You musta been Little Twelve Toes

Not one of their catchier numbers, although it certainly does commit to explaining dozenal notation in depth, doesn't it?

I <3 the dozenal system! Speaking of which, it works great with Time: 40 newpix(oldnewpix?)/coma cycle, or 20 longpix(newnewpix...currentpix?)/coma cycle...
A humble Pilgrim0 awash in the Sea1 of TimeS, unstuck, observing the wonderful Stars therin . . . waiting for IT.
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

2 - small, and a host of other adjectives