1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HAL9000
Not Red

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

edo wrote:I propose that all those jerwonderful people who used obscure coding (and I'd give rot13 a pass) edit their posts to have spoilered translations to give her a chance.

Seconded.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:20 pm UTC

astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

edo wrote:
tman2nd wrote:
Flado wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote: Knight of the Woeful Maintenance. Does anyone get this reference?

I, for one, don't.

And I, for two, don't either.

I for one, think I do get the reference

Yay! Edo gets the prize! [Digs through purse] Let's see, here's a quarter, a penny and a WInt-o-green lifesaver! [Dusts off lint] Congratulations!

Yeah, I don't think my countenance is all that woeful (hope not, anyway!), but considering the number of unfinished projects around my house, "maintenance" seems to fit.

HAL9000 wrote:
edo wrote:I propose that all those jerwonderful people who used obscure coding (and I'd give rot13 a pass) edit their posts to have spoilered translations to give her a chance.

Seconded.

Thirded!

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

htom

Postby htom » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:33 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Seconded.

Thirded!

Fourth! There are bridge players here? Rubber or duplicate?
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:42 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Seconded.

Thirded!

Spoilsports :-P

Previously Non-ROT-13 Transcript:
Spoiler:
macraw83 wrote:
caswallon wrote:
macraw83 wrote:
caswallon wrote:
macraw83 wrote:Very well... What about this one, each individual character has been encrypted using ROT-I where I is the index of the character within the string.
I suspected as much. The ellipses threw me off initially. As well as the mistake in the second part.
Yeah, the 'mistake' was that I had two spaces between sentences, and the forum formatted it down to one. I figure I might improve it by only counting letters, but at this point it'd be too much work.
Ah, that makes sense. I'm just using a spreadsheet tool I've used for other encryption techniques.
Ah, yeah, I have no such tool. Never studied cryptography, just the occasional moment of interest. Came up with this idea and wrote a program to do it, and having some fun with it, apparently at Edo's expense :p
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

Mycroft_147

Postby Mycroft_147 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:48 pm UTC

3-6-9 the goose drank wine, the monkey chewed tobacco on the streetcar line. The line broke. The monkey got choked. And they all went to heaven in a little rowboat. *clap clap* *clap clap*

Edit: References the page number--a rhyme I learned when I was but a wee laddy.
This is my croft. There are many like it. But this one is mine.

I am from the Before Time, in the Long Long Ago

Founder of THIS
(The Temporal Hypotheses and Intelligence Society)

(Leaves behind another piece of candy for Blitzgirl.)

edo

Postby edo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
[math]This is like mathy stuff: 1+2x=4x^2[/math]

ETA: The above line is inside the "math" tags, but I can't tell a dang bit of difference...

yeah, I'm pretty sure they're broken. Tex math looks awesome when it works. too bad. :?

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
Spoiler:
vvn wrote:
cmyk wrote:Why rot13?
Before the Eternal September, when Usenet ruled the internet, rot13 was used when making a potentially offending post. This allowed the reader to choose whether to read it, and to "be warned." 13 was chosen because encode and decode are the same function. (Obviously message security was not important.)

As far as why it is used by the (nonexistent) Illuminati? Easy access to a decoder ring/website would be my guess.
Now that they were discovered by a Black Hat, will they shift to PGP?

Eh, if they existed, which they don't. I'm quite sure that the Temporal Illuminati are actually quite lazy, and it is so much effort to choose a new code.

Ol qrpbqvat guvf zrffntr, lbh ner abj n fjbea zrzore bs gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv naq zhfg fjrne gb hcubyq gur olynjf.

1. Gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv qb abg rkvfg
2. Ab ernyyl, gurl qba'g
3. Abj gung vf pyrne, bhe tbny vf jbeyq qbzvangvba!
4. Ohg gung vf bayl vs gurl npghnyyl rkvfgrq.
5. Jr cebzvfr, ernyyl. *jvax*

What Illuminati? Non-existent Illuminati can't be lazy now, can they? :P

V jnf nyernql n (aba)zrzore bs gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, naq V qrpbqrq gur zrffntr naljnl. Lbhe zbir.
Nyfb eryrinag: http://xkcd.com/501/

fhorn wrote:
Spoiler:
5. Try and keep off-topic posts controlled. If the thread you want to post in seems off-topic, post anyway. On-topic posts always take precedence over off-topic.

Off-topic posts are rife in this forum. We maintain a very casual atmosphere here where conversation can flow quite freely - however, we have our limits. If off-topic posts get too over the top, the thread may be split or locked, so try and keep off-topic posts controlled. You are welcome to start a new thread and continue the new discussion there, or throw up a report if you feel it is necessary for us to split the thread.

Is it off-topic to mention that I went to a concert Outside this evening? Does it revert to relevant/on-topic if I tell you how disturbed I was to see the conductor ruthlessly beating Time???

Wiki'd. Well played, good sir/madam.

Asthanius wrote:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:
Asthanius wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Asthanius wrote:<snip>
Also, HAL, I seem to believe that I was given the title of PFAP by you, and thus did not actually earn it. You, on the other hand, did earn it at one point.

You received it because the original Pope for that Newpage abdicated, I was the second poster on the page, and I had just been PFAN.
EDIT: snipping time!

I can't help but feel that "It's snipping time" would be a great catchphrase for a mohel superhero/villain.

Or the tagline for a really bad slasher flick.

Wiki'd this too. Extraordinarily well played.

Jafloi wrote:If anybody is curious what was the original reason I posted this:
Jafloi wrote:If you had to pick just one timeframe to symbolise the whole of the One True Comic, witch would it be? I need just that for a outside-originated project, but can not decide witch to use... preferably one before NP 124, for the simplicity. Can you help?

...Then some of the answer can be viewed below:

If not, then I suppose you should just continue with your life in some way or another..

[Edit:](Hopefully) fixing pic...
[Edit2:]Giving up pic, changing to link...

Hoooooly frick, that's amazing. If that's really a real wood carving/burning, you win this thread.

Angelastic wrote:
silent_death wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 305 out of 355 pages.
The Observation/Observed Platform. NP 560.
<snip>
A disturbingly large number of past newpages have had discussions about me, as well:
</snip>

They will only get more - you will see. :D
Let's continue to increase the frequency of discussions of BlitzGirl, such that when she reaches the present, the discussion will be all Being John Malkovichy/Sustainable. BlitzGirl! :D BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl? Blitzgirl, Blitz? Girl. :) BlitzGirl BlitzGirl.
BlitzGirl wrote:BlitzGirl BlitzGirl! Buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo had had sustainable BlitzGirl Time time! :P

BlitzGirl BlitzGirl? BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl! BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl. Newpages BlitzGirl. Time!!

Asthanius wrote:
Spoiler:
cmyk wrote:Okay, animated gif should roll through all 700 frames. And now with more MotionBlur™!

I move that cmyk be awarded the title of Chronomancer. All in favor?

He had the Whistle of Temporal Harmony at one point; as I firmly believe the title and the whistle go together, I second this motion. I also propose that, as BlitzGirl rescued the Whistle from the past, she be given the title of Chronomancer as well. (Possibly also Rescuer of the Whistle.)

chem1190c wrote:<awesome spoiler wall>

Needs more River Tam. Otherwise, I like it. (I also want to wiki it, but no spoiler tags there...)

kryton wrote:I've decided to retire from the popeing business, my successor will be determined in trial by combat of 'yo mama' jokes

and ............ Go!

Randall wins. I'll leave it to you to inform him of his victory.

EDIT: just realized both how long this post is and how many more NewPages I have to read and comment on. I'll just break my replies into two parts. But before I send this, I have one more thought:
If the non-existent Temporal Illuminati's formal titles are encoded in the secret non-existent Illuminati language, we get Rayvtugrarq Barf. Now, I don't know quite what a Rayvtugrarq is or what its barf looks like, but that just sounds gross.

EDIT 2: holy wall of text Batman. Snip, spoiler, done?
Last edited by PhoenixRising on Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

edo wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:[math]This is like mathy stuff: 1+2x=4x^2[/math]
ETA: The above line is inside the "math" tags, but I can't tell a dang bit of difference...

yeah, I'm pretty sure they're broken. Tex math looks awesome when it works. too bad. :?

Ooooh, I love Tex-Mex!

edo

Postby edo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:06 pm UTC

descor wrote:I would humbly suggest that -273.15 is the coolest number ...

but isn't -459.67 just as cool?
buffygirl wrote:Ooooh, I love Tex-Mex!

Matlab executables using Tex tags? I love them too!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

htom

Postby htom » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

edo wrote:

Absolute Zero not so absolute any more. http://www.nature.com/news/quantum-gas-goes-below-absolute-zero-1.12146

TeX FTW!
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:<snip>

dude/tte, you really need to go back and spoiler this baby. Seriously. Or snip it. Or something!

EDIT: THAT was my 300th post???? Wow, am I lame or what!
Last edited by buffygirl on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

edo

Postby edo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:I would suggest that 736 is the most important number, until the next newpix, then it will be 737, then 738....

don't you mean that 2fdcddc00cf7cf1d9f19d4e11a6f9045fbc6197f8cffa715de8abae5b041f231 is the most important number right now?

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:15 pm UTC

edo wrote:
Caswallon wrote:I would suggest that 736 is the most important number, until the next newpix, then it will be 737, then 738....

don't you mean that 2fdcddc00cf7cf1d9f19d4e11a6f9045fbc6197f8cffa715de8abae5b041f231 is the most important number right now?

You are correct, I made the assumption that we were sticking to decimal numbers. I suppose that makes an ass out of u and... mption...
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:17 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:Spoilsports :-P

Previously Non-ROT-13 Transcript:
Spoiler:
macraw83 wrote:
caswallon wrote:
macraw83 wrote:
caswallon wrote:
macraw83 wrote:Very well... What about this one, each individual character has been encrypted using ROT-I where I is the index of the character within the string.
I suspected as much. The ellipses threw me off initially. As well as the mistake in the second part.
Yeah, the 'mistake' was that I had two spaces between sentences, and the forum formatted it down to one. I figure I might improve it by only counting letters, but at this point it'd be too much work.
Ah, that makes sense. I'm just using a spreadsheet tool I've used for other encryption techniques.
Ah, yeah, I have no such tool. Never studied cryptography, just the occasional moment of interest. Came up with this idea and wrote a program to do it, and having some fun with it, apparently at Edo's expense :p

Well I had a great time decrypting your messages by hand, even though it did leave me stranded in the past for a while, so thanks for that! My boyfriend wrote a script to decrypt it once I told him the encryption method, but I threatened to honey badger him if he told me the answers, because what's the fun in that? It reminded me of being a kid and doing those rot-n puzzles on placemats at restaurants.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

edo wrote:I propose that all those people who used obscure coding (and I'd give rot13 a pass) edit their posts to have spoilered translations to give her <Bliztgirl> a chance.

Agreed, and /done.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

htom wrote:
edo wrote:

Absolute Zero not so absolute any more. http://www.nature.com/news/quantum-gas-goes-below-absolute-zero-1.12146

TeX FTW!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Mind Blown!
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:20 pm UTC

Spoiler:
htom wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Seconded.

Thirded!

Fifthed! :)
Edited to spoiler.
Last edited by buffygirl on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:20 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:<snip>

dude/tte, you really need to go back and spoiler this baby. Seriously. Or snip it. Or something!

Yeah, wow. What she said. That post is ridiculous.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

edo

Postby edo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

marchlight wrote: but I threatened to honey badger him
:shock: and he took it as a threat?!?

Mycroft_147

Postby Mycroft_147 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:29 pm UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:Hoooooly frick, that's amazing. If that's really a real wood carving/burning, you win this thread.

To reiterate, I still think he should be given the title "Lightscribe" for this magnificent work.

Founder of THIS

edo

Postby edo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

Mycroft_147 wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:Hoooooly frick, that's amazing. If that's really a real wood carving/burning, you win this thread.

To reiterate, I still think he should be given the title "Lightscribe" for this magnificent work.

I 2nd that

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:36 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
Spoiler:
htom wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Seconded.

Thirded!

Edited to spoiler.

Because the Mod's have obviously abandoned this thread, my hobby is finding rules we are violating :P

Forum Rules wrote:5. Try and keep off-topic posts controlled. If the thread you want to post in seems off-topic, post anyway. On-topic posts always take precedence over off-topic.
6. Please keep posts entirely consisting of "QFT" or "seconded", "thirded", etc. at a minimum. If you don't have anything to contribute to the conversation, then by all means don't.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:44 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Ooo ooo ooo - mine please? :-)

Ditto. (and I don't really get it still, but that's okay, just curious.)

cmyk wrote:And, why yes, I do relates everything I see to a movie.

Me too.

buffygirl wrote:-Just to say something I don't recall anyone saying before ... I do sometimes feel uncomfortable with the cancer references... I worry it might hit Randall a little close to home (i.e. not funny), even tho he doesn't read the fora. Just ... in principle.

Reading it or not, we only ever meant it either in jest or as a serious concern. Comedy comes from real things in the world. The harder something is to handle, the more humor should be able to be squeezed out of it. Not to hurt (those sensitive may want to reconsider why some things are funny while others are not) but to draw connections with the world. Humor should bring us together. Caffeinatedsemencancerbabies bring us together, this forum, maybe even Randall.

lmjb1964 wrote:For what it's worth, I'm a cancer survivor, diagnosed with breast cancer a few months before--Megan? Is that her name? Going through it sort of "with" them is one of the things that bonded me to xkcd.

Great to hear you survived (though I didn't know you back then). Glad to have you around.

Caswallon wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
Spoiler:
htom wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Seconded.

Thirded!

Edited to spoiler.

Because the Mod's have obviously abandoned this thread, my hobby is finding rules we are violating :P

Forum Rules wrote:5. Try and keep off-topic posts controlled. If the thread you want to post in seems off-topic, post anyway. On-topic posts always take precedence over off-topic.
6. Please keep posts entirely consisting of "QFT" or "seconded", "thirded", etc. at a minimum. If you don't have anything to contribute to the conversation, then by all means don't.

You must now log all such instances and present them into a nifty* graph.

*I'm that old?

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:46 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:Because the Mod's have obviously abandoned this thread, my hobby is finding rules we are violating :P

To be fair, we are building a civilization here:
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

It'll be much more civilized if we can follow some rules of order. (Although, after the second, we should have a vote, not a third.)

Also, seriously, the rule is to "Try and keep..." who let that one in? That should read, "Try to keep..."

Some Ways to Time

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:52 pm UTC

Caswallon wrote:
Purplepants77 wrote:EDIT: Good thing this whole PFAN was discontinued, I would make an awfully terrible one at this particular moment in Time

The Papacy must be continued! As it was never clear which Church the PFAN was the leader of, I deign to create the "Church of the Newpage" that determines that its Leader shall be defined by the first post of a new page, and its principles, beliefs, and philosophy are determined by that page.

It is our most sincere belief that every 40 Newposts represents the appropriate culmination of knowledge and beliefs that should be abided by! As determined by the ancient fora architecture, and foretold by the browser. Our timeframe is measured in NewPosts, and our representative symbol is the NewPix.

I propose the PFAN be chosen at the bottom of a page (post #40) and can only declare things retroactively. :twisted:

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:00 am UTC

STONG:

Edit: a bit more sea level rise in the past 24 hou newpix, and barely any castle erosion.
Time_sea_level_rise_20130420_0000.png
Time_sea_level_rise_20130420_0000.png (2.66 KiB) Viewed 10142 times
Last edited by mscha on Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:04 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:00 am UTC

azule wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
Purplepants77 wrote:EDIT: Good thing this whole PFAN was discontinued, I would make an awfully terrible one at this particular moment in Time

The Papacy must be continued! As it was never clear which Church the PFAN was the leader of, I deign to create the "Church of the Newpage" that determines that its Leader shall be defined by the first post of a new page, and its principles, beliefs, and philosophy are determined by that page.

It is our most sincere belief that every 40 Newposts represents the appropriate culmination of knowledge and beliefs that should be abided by! As determined by the ancient fora architecture, and foretold by the browser. Our timeframe is measured in NewPosts, and our representative symbol is the NewPix.

I propose the PFAN be chosen at the bottom of a page (post #40) and can only declare things retroactively. :twisted:

As this idea has been proposed on THIS page, the Church of the Newpage accepts this doctrine. All Future Papal decrees by marchlight shall be retroactively applied to the page. All hail Pope marchlight!
Last edited by Caswallon on Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:09 am UTC

Adam H wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Yes it is very interesting how Time caused so many xkcd fans to delurk and take part in this thread. I wonder if some of the old-timer xkcd forumites look in this needle-pulled-thingy and feel like this has moved in next door to them:

Spoiler:

YES. VERY MUCH SO.

Get off my lawn ya hooligans!

Oh crap now I've egosearched this thread! This is worse than that time I posted in "Count to a Million"! :(

Since I see you're clearly having so much fun here already:
Spoiler:
The Game. (inb4 filters?)

buffygirl wrote:Ok, new hat for me!

EDIT: I have a version that doesn't cover my face, but I sorta thought this gave it more of a "warrior" look...

Agreed. You have a Greek/Trojan warrior look (too lazy to look up which is which) atm, and I like it. The hat/helmet almost looks too... what's the word I want? Rusted away? to be an actual battle item though. The Greek/Trojan helmets were for solid defense and looked the part.

HAL9000 wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Jafloi wrote:If anybody is curious what was the original reason I posted this: <snip>

...Then some of the answer can be viewed below:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ysekp77tyn67mu/_DSC6129.png

Wow!!! How have you not received more praise for this?! Jafloi, this is awesome.

I move we grant him the title of Craftsman. (or something along those lines)
EDIT: It should probably be a slightly longer title than that, but I'm drawing a blank*
EDIT2:
*My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it.

Woodworker of Time?

EDIT: scratch that. Mycroft's idea is far better:
Mycroft_147 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:I move we grant him the title of Craftsman. (or something along those lines)

Lightscribe? :D

AluisioASG wrote:
tman2nd wrote:
Mycroft_147 wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:I'm willing to use the Universal Laws of Pixilization to erase you from Time for good due to such heresy…

Very well, you leave me no choice. I hereby establish THIS!1 THIS shall provide the platform for all free waiters to openly share their ideas without fear of ridicule and temporal oppression! Now is the Time, THIS is the way! Stand with me brothers, sisters, and other non-gender specific siblings!

1Temporal Hypotheses and Intelligence Society2
2Until such time as a cooler name may emerge from this needle-pulled thingy.

I would like to join!

Don't think I've forgotten you. As Pope, I request, as humbly as possible, Blitzgirl to push these traitors out of the stream of Time.

I keep wanting to defy you and protect them, except I can't begin to agree with their theories... I just really really like their ultimate goal.

AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Reka wrote:[img]
That rightmost tower is still holding on...

So as Cueball.
PS: We should give him a proper name. What about Sam, or Dave?

Cueball is a name that was established before Time, based on the solid white sphere he has for a head.

Although we are speaking of heresy here (there is no such thing as “before Time”), I believe we are in a unique Timely condition in which we are capable of distinguishing this Cueball from other Cueballs (which exist in The Other Comics).
Of course, this may also make no sense at all, but nothing on this needle-pulled thingy does.

Reka wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Reka wrote:That rightmost tower is still holding on...

So is Cueball.
PS: We should give him a proper name. What about Sam, or Dave?

Heresy! He has been Cueball since before the beginning of Time!

Again: there is no such thing as “before Time”. THIS is heresy.

AH. Now this I can happily defy you on. As Randall created Other Comics in the before-Time and the after-Time, such a before-Time definitely does exist.

Mycroft_147 wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Who Installed the Red Button and System Administrator)

HA, I installed a big red button in a patch-panel once. As an inside joke it did nothing but glow red. After a few months I noticed someone had hung a sign over the button that said "Do Not Push." Months later I noticed someone installed a plastic cover over it to prevent it being pressed accidentally ...bureaucracy in action I assumed. :D

This is awesome. Now I suggest you take ownership of the Red Button and demand one million dollars to deactivate it. As soon as they hand you the money, simply open the panel and disconnect the button's wiring, then calmly leave the building.

BlitzGirl wrote:<massive snip>
Also, I glimpsed some John Denver, which inspired me thus:
Spoiler:
Pray that Time will Fly
(to the tune of Rocky Mountain High)

Long ago Time began on on the 25th of March
With two people sitting on a shore
Motionless to all but quickly they began to move
And we all Waited eagerly for more

When first we started posting, our minds seemed very dark,
In the Time before the newpix became long
But then they began building and the blackness went away
As we turned to the True Comic every dong

For the Castle keeps on growing ever high
I've seen it rising far into the sky
And legions of us Wait for it although we know not why
Pray that Time will fly
(in The Comic)
Pray that Time will fly
(fly in The Comic)

They kept to their construction: slowly, yes, but sure
A camera pan thrilled every devotee
And then they both went swimming, and Megan spat out drops
Of the semencoffeecancerbabies sea

Religion sprang anew with the trebuchet attack
Megan falling off her mound by mistake
We made Churches and titles as the castellation grew
Up by the sea (or river? Not a lake)

Oh, the Castle keeps on growing ever high
And legions of us Wait for it though we get no reply
Pray that Time will fly
(fly in The Comic)
Pray that Time will fly
(fly in The Comic)

We spoke of the Recursion, we Knighted ourselves too,
Observed them and their Observation Stand
And though our creeds may differ, some Timewaiters, some not
We still agree the Sandcastle is grand

May the Castle keep on growing ever high
Time keeps a-drifting onward; I'll see it by-and-by
Pray that Time will fly

The Castle keeps on growing ever high
Far off in the future someone hears this lullaby...
I Pray that Time will fly
(fly in The Comic)
Pray that Time will fly
(fly in The Comic)

<snip>
Onward I go! And as I do, I cry out to the future:

The river is small!

John Denver parody? I am totally geeking out right now! I just had to YouTube "Rocky Mountain High" while reading your lyrics, and the "flow" matching is really good. I also totally lost it at the mention of the sea. I am a terrible person.

I propose we give BlitzGirl the title of "The Poet." (Also the same poet referenced here.)

The sea is big!

*glances back, sees another wall-'o'-text* *glances forward, sees 6 more NewPages and probably 7 by the time I get there* *sighs and decides I really meant a three-part reply instead of a two-part*

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:11 am UTC

SBN wrote:
mojacardave wrote: Clearly the American crowd outweighs the rest of us!

It's not our fault, it's because of the giant sodas. (Or cokes, or pops, depending on where in America you are.)

It's "pop".

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

Mycroft_147

Postby Mycroft_147 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:12 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote: I think what you mean is Pope culture.

Heh, touché.

Caswallon wrote:Because the Mod's have obviously abandoned this thread, my hobby is finding rules we are violating :P

SBN wrote:It'll be much more civilized if we can follow some rules of order. (Although, after the second, we should have a vote, not a third.)

Oh? Think yer gonna bring round some some o dat "law an orda?" You lissen hya: we don't need none o dat in dese here parts! *spits chewin backy* :twisted:

Founder of THIS

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:17 am UTC

edo wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9Jr9JKpsX8

Honey badger style - straight for the nut punch.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:18 am UTC

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Book_of_Time_Page_481

You are the newest member of The Order of the Knights Temporal and you have been sent on a quest to find the mythical Sands of Time. You know you will face many horrors on your journey but you have been outfitted with a great sword, a helm (called Matt), a belt, some gantlets and a set of chain mail. The quartermaster was too busy staring at his tablet to tell you what they do but I’m sure you will work it out. You head out on your grand quest. You have been told to head west and to trust Randall to guide your way. The first day of walking is uneventful and nearing sunset you come to a small village. You are in luck because they have a Thyme Waiters restaurant and you have a fine breakfast before retiring for the night. The next 24 days pass in similar fashion as you travel westward until the morning of the 26th day when the weather takes a turn for the worse. And the local meteorological service has predicted many weeks of hard rain. You are faced with a terrible decision.

Do you Carry on though wind and rain as nothing will stop a true Knight

Or delay your quest and wait for it to clear before continuing on

Please note not finished yet :)

Edit: Crap I'm PFAN! Well by Papal decree I say it is your duty to use PayPal to send me money! If you have no money to send then you penance is to copy quotes into the Book of Time
Edit2: Ok we are doing RetroPopeing now so I'm safe. I'll refund all that PayPal money when I get a chance.
Last edited by Latent22 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:06 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

vvn

Postby vvn » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:26 am UTC

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned that the vertical posts have been reinforced in the top section, but not the bottom section. This leads to the theory that the only reason for the reinforcement was to provide something to put the additional horizontal planck on top of.

So, on the lower platform, why are the right and left horizontal sections reinforced, but not the center?

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:27 am UTC

marchlight wrote:Honey badger style - straight for the nut punch.

The Church of the Newpage recognizes the above papal decree by the pope of the previous page.

Our new motto for the previous page shall be "Straight for the nut punch!"

descor

Postby descor » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:29 am UTC

marchlight wrote:
edo wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9Jr9JKpsX8

Honey badger style - straight for the nut punch.

And just in case you're not convinced:

Spoiler:
http://youtu.be/4r7wHMg5Yjg

EDIT: that clip is NSFW (sweary!)
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:39 am UTC

vvn wrote:I am surprised that nobody has mentioned that the vertical posts have been reinforced in the top section, but not the bottom section. This leads to the theory that the only reason for the reinforcement was to provide something to put the additional horizontal planck on top of.

So, on the lower platform, why are the right and left horizontal sections reinforced, but not the center?

Well the right and left sections have an extra plank on them but that is not reinforcing it is just there to make the platform level. This is because the first middle plank was placed on top of the original left and right planks creating a step up
Spoiler:

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:44 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:Edit: Crap I'm PFAN! Well by Papal decree I say it is your duty to use PayPal to send me money! If you have no money to send then you penance is to copy quotes into the Book of Time

Actually, it's marchlight. Hail RetroPope Marchlight.

P.S. doesn't mean we shouldn't help with the book.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:49 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Book_of_Time_Page_481
Edit: Crap I'm PFAN! Well by Papal decree I say it is your duty to use PayPal to send me money! If you have no money to send then you penance is to copy quotes into the Book of Time

The PFAN is now decided by the last poster instead of the first.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”